Virginia woman says neighbor's racist taunts include speakers playing slurs, monkey noises

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  john-russell  •  3 weeks ago  •  8 comments

By:   Antonio Planas (NBC News)

Virginia woman says neighbor's racist taunts include speakers playing slurs, monkey noises
Jannique Martinez, of Virginia Beach, Vorginia, says a neighbor is playing monkey noises and racial epithets over loudspeakers. City police say no laws are being broken.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

Sept. 30, 2021, 6:50 PM UTC By Antonio Planas

A Black woman in Virginia alleges that a neighbor plays monkey noises and racial slurs over speakers to taunt her family from inside his home, but authorities say there's little they can do about it.

The woman, Jannique Martinez, says her family and other neighbors have been harassed in her Virginia Beach neighborhood for more than a year, NBC affiliate WAVY of Norfolk reported.

"Whenever we would step out of our house, the monkey noises would start. It's so racist, and it's disgusting. ... I don't even know how else to explain it," Martinez said.

Jannique Martinez said music would play loudly over her neighbor's speakers, shaking her home. She said that recently, after she alerted police about the music, her neighbor has retaliated by playing racial slurs and monkey noises.WAVY

City officials have described the neighbor's alleged actions as "offensive" but not criminal.

FAfmM2CXoAQoNis?format=png&name=small

The neighbor, Martinez said, also monitors her family's movements with multiple home cameras and blinking lights that appear to be hooked up to sensors.

Martinez told WAVY that the neighbor's alleged harassment escalated to monkey noises and audio of racial epithets after she reported him for loud music.

"He found out that we called the police on him to turn down the music one morning. And it's just been nonstop with the N-word," Martinez said. "My son is terrified of him. Terrified!"

The Virginia Beach Police Department did not immediately respond to an NBC News request for comment Thursday.

The police department released a statement Wednesday describing the neighbor's behavior as "appalling," "offensive" and "unpleasant."

pic.twitter.com/5KVUnhvJRX
— Virginia Beach PD (@VBPD) September 30, 2021

The statement, however, said there was little police could do. "The city attorney and Virginia magistrates have separately determined that the actions reported thus far did not rise to a level that Virginia law defines as criminal behavior," it said. "This means the VBPD has had no authority to intervene and warrants were not supported."

A reporter for WAVY tried to speak to the neighbor by knocking on his front door, but no one answered.

Martinez told the station that she is exasperated after having tried to find solutions within the criminal and civil courts. She said the system is not protecting her family, with authorities telling her that the neighbor has not assaulted or threatened her family.

"I've done what I can to do it the right way," she said. "I've spent 11 years in the military. My husband is also a vet. We fought for this country, but yet, there is no one to fight for us."

Antonio Planas

Antonio Planas is a breaking news reporter for NBC News Digital.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1  seeder  JohnRussell    3 weeks ago

No, this cant possibly be true.-----------------------------  jrSmiley_89_smiley_image.gif

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Guide
1.1  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  JohnRussell @1    3 weeks ago

It is Virginia, so believe it.

GregTx
Sophomore Participates
1.1.1  GregTx  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @1.1    3 weeks ago

What does that mean?

shona1
Sophomore Participates
2  shona1    3 weeks ago

Surely there are noise pollution laws??

Would certainly qualify here and fines would be issued. You get one warning...2nd time a fine is issued and if the cops are called back within 24 hours for the same complaint.. another fine and kiss your sound system goodbye. It will be confiscated...

This moron is disturbing the peace, quiet and comfort of neighbours... wonder if this was happening next door to homes of the City officials how long it would last....

Kavika
Professor Principal
3  Kavika     3 weeks ago

How sad and racist. It's hard to believe that the city/police/politicians  can't do something to help the couple. 

GregTx
Sophomore Participates
3.1  GregTx  replied to  Kavika @3    3 weeks ago

I agree, especially if there are neighbors witness to this behavior. I don't know how, at the very least, citations for disturbing the peace couldn't be issued

Sister Moosh Noosh Ample Bottom
Professor Guide
4  Sister Moosh Noosh Ample Bottom    3 weeks ago

Anyone know where this fool works?  I'm not a big fan of harassing a business because they have an offensive asshole working for them, but I would say in this case, it is warranted.  

Furthermore, if the VBPD can't do anything about it, they need to change their mission statement:

Mission

The Virginia Beach Police Department is committed to providing a safe community and improving the quality of life for all people. We accomplish this by delivering quality police services and enforcing laws with equity and impartiality. In partnership with the community, we reduce crime through public education, prevention, and awareness. In meeting this objective, we demand of ourselves the highest professional standards and dedication to our core values.

​Core Values - PRIDE 

Professionalism:

• In our actions, conduct, and job performance.
    • Constantly striving towards ever-rising standards.

Respect:

• For all citizens, each other, and for differing points of view, regardless of age, race, gender, appearance, individual beliefs, or lifestyles.

Integrity:

• ​​Truthful & honest, deserving of trust
    • Ethical
    • Being guided by the concept of fundamental fairness in everything we do 
    • ​​Doing what is right​

Dedication:

• To the organization, each other, our families, and the citizens we serve
    • Unquestionable work ethic

Excellence:

• In everything we do
    • Seeking to improve and excel, always.

They also have an online complaint registration... 

Ed-NavDoc
PhD Quiet
5  Ed-NavDoc    3 weeks ago

Seems to me this is a clear cut case of race based  harrassment on the part of the neighbors. Ms/Mrs Martinez ought to sue said neighbor for the above as well as mental cruelty. I would hope the other neighbors would become involved as well.