╌>

Biden is first president to mark Indigenous Peoples’ Day

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  1stwarrior  •  3 years ago  •  12 comments

Biden is first president to mark Indigenous Peoples’ Day

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

President Joe Biden on Friday issued the first-ever presidential proclamation of Indigenous Peoples’ Day, lending the most significant boost yet to efforts to refocus the federal holiday celebrating Christopher Columbus toward an appreciation of Native peoples.

The day will be observed on Oct. 11, along with Columbus Day, which is established by Congress.

“For generations, Federal policies systematically sought to assimilate and displace Native people and eradicate Native cultures,” Biden wrote in the Indigenous Peoples’ Day proclamation. “Today, we recognize Indigenous peoples’ resilience and strength as well as the immeasurable positive impact that they have made on every aspect of American society.”

In a separate proclamation on Columbus Day, Biden praised the role of Italian Americans in U.S. society, but also referenced the violence and harm Columbus and other explorers of the age brought about on the Americas.

“Today, we also acknowledge the painful history of wrongs and atrocities that many European explorers inflicted on Tribal Nations and Indigenous communities,” Biden wrote. “It is a measure of our greatness as a Nation that we do not seek to bury these shameful episodes of our past — that we face them honestly, we bring them to the light, and we do all we can to address them.”

It’s a break from President Donald Trump’s ardent defense of “intrepid heroes” like Columbus in his 2020 proclamation of the holiday.

“Sadly, in recent years, radical activists have sought to undermine Christopher Columbus’ legacy,” Trump said at the time. “These extremists seek to replace discussion of his vast contributions with talk of failings, his discoveries with atrocities, and his achievements with transgressions.”

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

1stwarrior
Professor Participates
1  seeder  1stwarrior    3 years ago

First, H.W.Bush set the standards -

George H.W. Bush: Establishing NMAI, NAGPRA; Corruption in BIA

Clinton followed through -

G.W. Bush - “My view is that state law reigns supreme when it comes to the Indians, whether it be gambling or any other issue,” he told the  Syracuse Post-Standard  on October 24, 1999.

Wrong answer.

Maybe Biden is on the way to repair those gaffs.

Kavika
Professor Principal
2  Kavika     3 years ago

Excellent

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
3  Perrie Halpern R.A.    3 years ago

It's about time! 

Veronica
Professor Guide
4  Veronica    3 years ago

My family has been waiting for CC day to float off into oblivion for years.  I have no idea why we still celebrate it in this country.  We have been calling it Indigenous Peoples’ Day for several years now.  Nice to know the fed has finally stood up.  

Kavika
Professor Principal
5  Kavika     3 years ago

It's a good week, this and proclamation on Bears Ears, Grand Staircase and the Northeast monument. Lauren King being approved by the Senate and is now a federal district judge. The reactivation of the Alaska Steering Committe with an NA as its head...On a roll.

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
6  Paula Bartholomew    3 years ago

America's first people have been long overdue for this.  Well done Joe!jrSmiley_13_smiley_image.gif

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
7  Raven Wing    3 years ago

Finally! This is such great news, and such a long time coming. President Biden will long be remembered for this achievement, and not just by the Indigenous people.

President Biden has opened the door of equality for the Indigenous people from all Tribes to many more important positions, and I look forward to many more to come.

A big 'Thank You!' President Biden.

Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom
Professor Guide
8  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom    3 years ago

“For generations, Federal policies systematically sought to assimilate and displace Native people and eradicate Native cultures,” Biden wrote in the Indigenous Peoples’ Day proclamation. “Today, we recognize Indigenous peoples’ resilience and strength as well as the immeasurable positive impact that they have made on every aspect of American society.”

My dude gets an A++++++++ for all the First People advancements he has supported and/or implemented since taking office.  Those who think President Biden sits in a rocking chair all day, sippin' iced tea, and waiting for his Colace to kick in, can kiss all five acres of my ample bottom.        

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
9  Trout Giggles    3 years ago

jrSmiley_13_smiley_image.gif

Hallux
PhD Principal
10  Hallux    3 years ago

All to the good, now let's hope many of Canada's and the Catholic Church's all talk footsteps are not followed.

Ender
Professor Principal
11  Ender    3 years ago

I don't get why they say Columbus discovered America...

Kavika
Professor Principal
11.1  Kavika   replied to  Ender @11    3 years ago

You get one guess.