╌>

'Pure joy' for Braves: 1st pennant since '99

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  vic-eldred  •  3 years ago  •  20 comments

By:   Mark Bowman

'Pure joy' for Braves: 1st pennant since '99
“I don't want to take anything away from the Braves,” Dodgers manager Dave Roberts said. “They beat us in a series. We put our best foot forward. We fought. And they beat us in a series.”

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

ATLANTA -- As his team was concluding the National League Championship Series with  a 4-2 win  in Game 6 on Saturday night at Truist Park, Braves president of baseball operations Alex Anthopoulos was in manager Brian Snitker’s office, nervously organizing old media guides while watching the television broadcast.

“When we got the last out, I said, ‘We’re going to the World Series, I can’t believe it,’” Anthopoulos said.
Disbelief seemed to be a common reaction as Atlanta earned its first trip to the World Series since 1999. As Dansby Swanson made a diving stop and threw AJ Pollock out to end the game, Snitker stayed seated in the dugout as bench coach Walt Weiss and other coaches swarmed him.

“One of them was yelling in my ear,” Snitker said. “Instead of jumping up, Walt grabbed me and it took a minute, honestly, just to -- it's like, ‘Oh, my God, this is really happening.’ What a special feeling though, my God. Yeah, it's pretty cool.”

During the 1990s, the Braves played 29 World Series games -- more than double any other franchise. (The Yankees were second with 14.) But from 2000-20, Atlanta was one of only 10 franchises to play zero World Series games.
That drought ends courtesy of this NLCS upset victory. The 88-win Braves didn’t produce a winning record until Aug. 6 this season, the latest date for a World Series-bound club to reach .500 in MLB history. But they needed just six games to eliminate the 106-win Dodgers, who were recently weakened by injuries to Max Muncy, Justin Turner, Max Scherzer and Clayton Kershaw.
“I don't want to take anything away from the Braves,” Dodgers manager Dave Roberts said. “They beat us in a series. We put our best foot forward. We fought. And they beat us in a series.”

When the Braves were making their near-annual trips to the World Series in the 1990s, Snitker was a Minor League coach and manager within the organization. His first trip to the Fall Classic will be extra special, as it will give him a chance to compete against his son Troy, who is the Astros’ hitting coach.
The Braves and Astros will begin the World Series  on Tuesday night  at Minute Maid Park. This will also be the first Fall Classic for  Freddie Freeman , who has endured plenty of highs and lows since debuting for Atlanta in 2010.

“I think this might be the definition of pure joy,” he said.

Other than the worst-to-first Braves who advanced to Game 7 of the 1991 World Series, this might be the most unexpected -- or at least the most satisfying -- Fall Classic trip in Atlanta history. Potential ace Mike Soroka never pitched and Marcell Ozuna hasn’t played since the end of May. Then of course Ronald Acuña Jr. suffered a season-ending right knee injury on July 10.

“We’re up here going to the World Series without Ronald Acuña Jr.,” Freeman said. “It’s amazing what this team did.”

Now the Braves, who ended their MLB-long skid of playoff appearances (12) without reaching the World Series, are seeking to capture their first championship since 1995. They have overcome much greater obstacles over the past few months.

Instead of letting his club sink after losing Acuña, Anthopoulos sent a message to his clubhouse by acquiring  Joc Pederson  from the Cubs on July 15. Pederson brought swagger, a winning mentality and the chance for some team other than the Dodgers to celebrate Joctober.

Pederson has produced some great moments over the past couple of weeks, but this postseason has belonged to NLCS MVP  Eddie Rosario , who hit .560 (14-for-25) with three homers and a 1.647 OPS in six games against the Dodgers. Rosario’s 14 hits are tied for the most by a player in any postseason series.
That’s certainly more the Braves expected when they acquired him from the Indians in exchange for Pablo Sandoval on July 30. Rosario was still a month away from returning from an abdominal strain.
“It's just amazing how locked in he is,” Snitker said. “It doesn't matter what arm they're throwing with, he's just so locked in. I don't know that I've ever seen a guy like that for, this has been a long while now that he's been doing this.”

Rosario electrified the home crowd in the fourth inning by hitting a go-ahead three-run homer off Walker Buehler, who started on short rest because Max Scherzer’s sore right arm wasn’t ready for him to make his scheduled start.

When Rosario’s homer dropped over the outfield wall just inside the right-field foul pole, the crowd erupted and began anticipating how the night might end. The roar rivaled the one heard when Acuña hit a grand slam off Buehler in Game 3 of the 2018 NL Division Series.

“It's truly a great moment, not just in my career, but in my life as well, but I want more,” Rosario said. “I want to win the World Series.”

Rosario, who had a .685 OPS in 306 plate appearances with Cleveland this year, wasn’t the only surprise contributor of the bunch.  A.J. Minter  was sent back to Triple-A Gwinnett a couple of times this year, and  Tyler Matzek  is two years removed from Braves director of amateur scouting Dana Brown finding him pitching for the independent Texas AirHogs. Each struck out four while recording six critical outs in Game 6.

After Braves starter Ian Anderson allowed one run over four innings, Minter continued to baffle Dodgers hitters by tossing two perfect innings. Matzek then added to his tremendous October with a game-saving escape act.

Matzek entered with runners at second and third in the seventh. The dominant lefty killed that threat with three consecutive strikeouts of Albert Pujols, Steven Souza Jr. and Mookie Betts. He recorded one more strikeout in a perfect eighth.

“What makes this team so dangerous is we all have a story,” Minter said. “We've all been through failure. It's good to see it finally pay off. Hopefully we keep it going.”

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
1  seeder  Vic Eldred    3 years ago

That great Braves team of the 90's only managed to win one World Series. 

This should be a good Series and we could all use it.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
1.1  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Vic Eldred @1    3 years ago

It's great to see a team that hasn't reached the heights for a long time finally get there.  For example it was thrilling to see the Cubs finally take the cake after so many years.  Maybe the Blue Jays will come back now that a couple decades have passed, but for me, the icing on the cake (and by "icing" I don't mean icing the puck) would be if the Leafs would after all these years finally come back to life.  Mind you, the Raptors recently made Toronto proud.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
1.1.1  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @1.1    3 years ago

I'd love to see it....Too bad it won't be in the old Maple Leaf Gardens.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
1.1.2  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Vic Eldred @1.1.1    3 years ago

Yes, I've spent some happy times watching the Leafs play in the Gardens.  My ex-wife's cousin had front row behind the glass seasons' tickets, and we got to use them now and then.  But my love of the Leafs goes back to when I was a little kid, and would listen to Foster Hewitt shout "He shoots, he scores" on the radio.  Saturday night is hockey night in Canada.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
1.1.3  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @1.1.2    3 years ago
Saturday night is hockey night in Canada.

It is after all a Canadian sport.

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
1.1.4  Greg Jones  replied to  Vic Eldred @1.1.3    3 years ago

They should move the Atlanta games to Denver!

jrSmiley_79_smiley_image.gif

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
1.1.5  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  Greg Jones @1.1.4    3 years ago

And the team with it.

Along with Coca Cola and Delta Airlines.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
2  JohnRussell    3 years ago

I'm predicting one of the lowest rated (tv ratings) World Series in a long time.  Neither of these teams has a strong national following, and the Astros are just off their cheating scandal. 

It is the World Series, and that is what gives it importance to baseball fans. 

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
2.1  JohnRussell  replied to  JohnRussell @2    3 years ago

I'll predict the Astros in 6 games. They look to have too much offensive firepower for the Braves. 

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
2.1.1  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  JohnRussell @2.1    3 years ago

Vegas has them currently favored to take the Series, as we used to say "$750 - $500."

Sparty On
Professor Principal
2.2  Sparty On  replied to  JohnRussell @2    3 years ago

Lack of a national following isn't the only reason ratings will be down.   MLB like many professional sports keeps taking ridiculous social stances and people are tired of it.   I boycotted MLB all year after their move of the All-star game for political reasons.   Thus screwing Atlanta's chance to honor Hank Aaron to a national crowd.

It was BS and disenfranchised many dedicated fans.   This Tiger fan included.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
3  TᵢG    3 years ago

This is the match-up I was hoping for.   The Braves are long due for some glory so they will be highly energized.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
3.1  Sparty On  replied to  TᵢG @3    3 years ago

Be nice to see Freddy Freeman get one.   Just like it was nice to see Justin Verlander get one.

Tacos!
Professor Guide
4  Tacos!    3 years ago
We put our best foot forward.

Hardly. Nothing against the Braves, but the Dodgers were without Clayton Kershaw, Max Muncy, and Justin Turner. They also lost Joe Kelly and Max Scherzer in this last series. It's a miracle the Dodgers performed as well as they did.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
4.1  Sparty On  replied to  Tacos! @4    3 years ago

I guess money can't buy everything after all ....... jrSmiley_9_smiley_image.gif

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
4.2  XXJefferson51  replied to  Tacos! @4    3 years ago

It made me happy!  As a northern Californian there is nothing more important in sports other than our own teams winning than beat LA.  Dodgers, Lakers, Rams, doesn’t matter.  Beat them all! I’m an A’s fan and usually root for the AL in the all star game and World Series, I’m supporting Atlanta this year.  

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
5  XXJefferson51    3 years ago

I’m just glad that Atlanta got to the World Series after MLB wrongly stole the All Star Game from them this year for no legitimate reason. It would be great to see the commissioner have to present the trophy to the Braves in Atlanta.  

Sparty On
Professor Principal
5.1  Sparty On  replied to  XXJefferson51 @5    3 years ago

Karma at work?

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
5.1.1  XXJefferson51  replied to  Sparty On @5.1    3 years ago

Could be.  That Atlanta made in into two rounds of NL playoffs upsetting both Milwaukee and Los Angeles was karma.  The World Series is pure gravy.  Making the commissioner present the trophy 🏆 there would be the icing on the cake.  🧁

Sparty On
Professor Principal
5.1.2  Sparty On  replied to  XXJefferson51 @5.1.1    3 years ago
Making the commissioner present the trophy there would be the icing on the cake.  

True, that guy is a real asshat.  

He makes Roger Goodell look smart.