╌>

No U.S. official will attend Beijing Winter Olympics, White House announces

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  sister-mary-agnes-ample-bottom  •  3 years ago  •  65 comments

By:   Ellen Nakashima, Rick Maese

No U.S. official will attend Beijing Winter Olympics, White House announces
“The Biden administration will not send any diplomatic or official representation to the Beijing 2022 Olympic and Paralympic games given the PRC’s ongoing genocide and crimes against humanity in Xinjiang and other human rights abuses,” said White House press secretary Jen Psaki.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

The United States will not send President Biden or any U.S. government official to the Beijing Winter Olympics in February in a signal of displeasure over China’s human rights abuses, the White House announced Monday.

The diplomatic boycott allows American athletes to participate in the Games, but is a significant political snub to Washington’s greatest military and economic competitor.

Pressure to mount such a boycott has been building for months, with lawmakers from both parties and human rights advocates calling on the Biden administration to not attend in response to Beijing’s repressive policies against democracy activists in Hong Kong and Uyghur Muslims in the Xinjiang region. The administration in March declared China’s treatment of Uyghur Muslims a genocide.

“The Biden administration will not send any diplomatic or official representation to the Beijing 2022 Olympic and Paralympic games given the PRC’s ongoing genocide and crimes against humanity in Xinjiang and other human rights abuses,” said White House press secretary Jen Psaki. “The athletes on team USA have our full support. We will be behind them 100 percent as we cheer them on from home. We will not be contributing to the fanfare of the games.”

Biden told reporters last month that he was weighing a diplomatic boycott.

The decision stands in contrast to 1980, when President Jimmy Carter kept U.S. officials and athletes   out of the Summer Games in Moscow   in response to the Soviet invasion of Afghanistan.

Though more than 60 countries joined the boycott in 1980, hundreds of American athletes were deprived of their chance at Olympic glory.

The U.S. government cannot unilaterally bar athletes from the Olympics or declare a boycott. The U.S. Olympic and Paralympic Committee, an independent nonprofit organization, has sole authority to make the final call.

[Pressure mounts for a diplomatic boycott of the Beijing Olympics]

“I want to stress that the Winter Olympic Games is not a stage for political posturing and manipulation,” said Zhao Lijian, Chinese Foreign Ministry spokesman, on Monday, responding to reports that a boycott announcement was imminent. “U.S. politicians keep hyping a ‘diplomatic boycott’ without even being invited to the Games. This wishful thinking and pure grandstanding is aimed at political manipulation. It is a grave travesty of the spirit of the Olympic Charter, a blatant political provocation and a serious affront to the 1.4 billion Chinese people.”

The Olympics host committee, Beijing 2022, said in a statement last month it “has been upholding its commitment to hosting the Games in an open manner, and has been welcoming people from all walks of life and from all countries...to participate in the Games in their own ways.”

Russian President Vladimir Putin will be attending the event , according to Russian media   reports in September. He accepted an invitation from Beijing to attend despite Russian athletes being barred from competing under the Russian flag and anthem until December 2022 as a result of a long-running, state-sponsored doping program.

An International Olympic Committee spokesman did not immediately return a message seeking comment Monday.

For months, U.S. Olympic officials have voiced opposition to any sort of athlete protest, urging government leaders to pursue other avenues to voice displeasure with China and its policies.

“We greatly appreciate the unwavering support of the President and his administration and we know they will be cheering us on from home this winter,” Sarah Hirshland, chief executive of the USOPC, said in a statement Monday. “Competing on behalf of the United States is an honor and a privilege, and Team USA is excited and ready to make the nation proud.”

With less than two months to go before the Beijing opening ceremonies, the announced diplomatic boycott is just the latest mark against a Winter Games that has been controversial since the day China was awarded hosting rights in 2015.

The country most recently has come under fire for its response to Chinese tennis star   Peng Shuai ’s public accusations that she was sexually assaulted by Zhang Gaoli, a former vice premier who played a key role in securing the Beijing Winter Games.

Peng was not heard from for nearly three weeks, sparking concern across the sports world. She finally participated in a video call with IOC officials on Nov. 21, but Olympic leaders have faced heavy criticism for their handling of the matter, which the IOC has described as a “quiet diplomacy approach.”

A diplomatic boycott is largely symbolic in nature and isn’t likely to impact the competition or the related pageantry. Government leaders and other dignitaries are typically invited to the Summer and Winter Games at the behest of the organizers. They generally sit in private sections removed from the others in attendance. On some occasions, delegations include presidents or heads of state, but countries are often represented by ambassadors, presidential family members and other elected leaders.

The Tokyo Summer Olympics were closed to spectators but diplomatic representative and dignitaries were allowed in the venues. The scaled-back U.S. contingent was led by Jill Biden, the first lady, Linda Thomas-Greenfield, the U.S. ambassador to the United Nations and Raymond Greene, the charge d’affaires ad interim at the U.S. Embassy in Tokyo.

During the previous administration, President Trump stayed home during the 2018 PyeongChang Olympics but sent a delegation that included Vice President Mike Pence and Ivanka Trump. Several U.S. presidents have also attended the Summer and Winter Olympics. President Obama traveled to the 2012 Games in London and President George W. Bush attended the 2006 Games in Torino.

Rick.Maese@washpost.com

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom
Professor Guide
1  seeder  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom    3 years ago

“The athletes on team USA have our full support. We will be behind them 100 percent as we cheer them on from home. We will not be contributing to the fanfare of the games.”  

~White House press secretary Jen Psaki

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2  Texan1211    3 years ago

Good, Last thing I want to see at the Olympics is politicians posturing. Let the focus be on the athletes.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
2.1  Sparty On  replied to  Texan1211 @2    3 years ago

I hear ya but hopefully it doesn't come to that.

I like the message this sends and hopefully they follow through to get something from China for it.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
2.1.1  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Sparty On @2.1    3 years ago

LOL. Wishful thinking on your part.  

Sparty On
Professor Principal
2.1.2  Sparty On  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @2.1.1    3 years ago

True .... ultimately it will probably come to world war IMO due to China's stubbornness.

Billions of Chinese will die and millions from NATO countries and for what?

The Chinese will find out the hard way just like the Japanese and Germans did.   Twice.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
2.1.3  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Sparty On @2.1.2    3 years ago

LOL.  And you think America will be unscathed if it invaded China?  With the defensive ability to monitor missile launches from space giving it time to launch a few hundred nuclear missiles (100 times more powerful than the Hiroshima/Nagasaki bombs) that are unstoppable hypersonic missiles and the ability to guide a lander to Mars do you think America's major cities would escape being turned into glass parking lots?  I don't think any American POTUS would be stupid enough to chance mutual nuclear destruction, although I guess Millet thought so.

Stubbornness?  You obviously know what stubbornness is - America has its Trump supporters, and many still think Biden stole the Election.  LOL

Sparty On
Professor Principal
2.1.4  Sparty On  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @2.1.3    3 years ago

Lol .... and yet China is tyrannical enough to incarcerate it's own citizens in concentration camps and yet China needs to steal intellectual information from other countries just to keep up and yet China discharges more than double the Carbon Dioxide annually as the US and China's CO2 output is accelerating not decelerating like the US/other developed countries and China is the country with expansionist desires not the US.   Etc, etc

The US isn't perfect but it's Mother Theresa in the world compared to China

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
2.1.5  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Sparty On @2.1.4    3 years ago

Says the American whose incarceration rate is the highest in the world, beating China by a long shot, the American whose businesses were not forced but in accordance to Chinese laws turned over their technological information voluntarily in order to take advantage of the Chinese cheaper labour and greater market, the American whose country was unable to compete with Huawei on 5G so banned it instead, the American whose population well exceeds the rate of CO2 emission on a per capita basis, and the American whose leader in desperation to MAINTAIN superiority of his nation is desperately gathering together democratic countries in an attempt to rescue its flawed democracy from disintegrating and to cheerlead its poodle allies into containing China out of fear that it will surpass the USA as the number one country in the world, as has been predicted.

China isn't perfect, but neither is the USA. People in glass houses shouldn't throw stones.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
2.1.6  Sparty On  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @2.1.5    3 years ago

Reading comprehension Buzz, I never implied the US is perfect as noted here and I quote:

The US isn't perfect but it's Mother Theresa in the world compared to China

China doesn’t need to worry about incarceration rate.    If your are problematic to the communist party they just disappear you like they did their tennis star.    One can only imagine how many more less prolific Chinese citizens are disappeared every year ......

By the way it appears your former country agrees with the US and is diplomatically boycotting China as well for the Olympics

CO2 per capital?     How about total CO2 emitted?    China emits over double the US.    And we’ve never had to shut down factories to help clear the air for an Olympics.   And the air quality was still shit.     So we have that going for us ......

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
2.1.7  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Sparty On @2.1.6    3 years ago

I can't understand the obsession about the tennis star who has already been interviewed twice by the IOC and was seen attending an event for young female tennis stars in China - was that a body double?  Some disappearance.  So blame China for being a bigger country with about 4.5 times the population of the USA, when Americans can be more prolific causing CO2 individually than Chinese people are - some logic there.  I hate Justin Trudeau who also was the only Canadian in decades to vote against Israel at the UN, and who has allowed Canada to host growing antisemitism, gun violence, and increasing covid infections, and has made Canada America's poodle..  What a contrast from his father.  

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
2.1.8  XXJefferson51  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @2.1.3    3 years ago

Invade China? We never invaded the Soviet Union.  As to nukes, not sure who mentioned initial use of those.  The one thing that is certain is that the USA as we know it will always exist as long as humanity does because any nation that physically invaded us with any prospect of success would be turned into a glass strewn parking lot.  Any return fire would take out their own invading armies in that act.  

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
2.1.9  XXJefferson51  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @2.1.7    3 years ago

The entirety of English speaking free world democracies are the impeccable enemies of a racist xenophobic genocidal communist China regime.  The nations of the EU and the democracies of Asia are following us regarding that evil empire.  Also, it seems the people of the democracy that is Taiwan are planning a scorched earth guerrilla and total popular resistance to the CCP even if their military does not survive.  It’s not America vs Chi

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
2.1.10  XXJefferson51  replied to  XXJefferson51 @2.1.9    3 years ago

na but democracy vs authoritarian.  To the Chinese regime, democracy and individual liberty are its arch enemy not just the USA

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
2.1.11  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  XXJefferson51 @2.1.8    3 years ago

Did the "saviour" say that?

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
2.1.12  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  XXJefferson51 @2.1.9    3 years ago

Such childish threats require a childish reply:  Sticks and stones may break China's bones, but names will never hurt it.  

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
2.1.13  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  XXJefferson51 @2.1.10    3 years ago

Oh, my, what FEAR.  China does not consider America to be an enemy.  After all, America is one of its best customers.  Anyone who considers China to be its enemy must REALLY be afraid of it, and at least afraid that China will surpass the "exceptional" America as the world's number one economy.  It has been predicted.

China's predicted GDP growth in 2020 exceeded the predicted 2% by O.3%.

Elon Musk says Chinese economy will surpass US by 2 or 3 times: ‘The foundation of war is economics’

Dec 05, 2021 ·  China  may overtake the United States in terms of space capabilities by the end of the decade and is increasing its space abilities at a speed twice that of the  USA , Gen. David
"Fear is the mind-killer"  (Moa'dib in Frank Herbert's novel Dune)

Tessylo
Professor Principal
2.1.14  Tessylo  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @2.1.3    3 years ago

Such agnorance from some.  Unreal.  

Tessylo
Professor Principal
2.1.15  Tessylo  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @2.1.13    3 years ago

"Fear is the mind-killer"  (Moa'dib in Frank Herbert's novel Dune)

I forgot you were a Dune fan.  I didn't realize until recently that Stephen Colbert (one of my favorite people - I love him) was a huge Dune fan also.  I can't wait to see the new version that's out.  

Tessylo
Professor Principal
2.1.16  Tessylo  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @2.1.12    3 years ago

I don't even bother reading his nonsense and gobbledygook - more agnorance.  

Sparty On
Professor Principal
2.1.17  Sparty On  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @2.1.7    3 years ago
I can't understand the obsession about the tennis star who has already been interviewed twice by the IOC and was seen attending an event for young female tennis stars in China - was that a body double?  Some disappearance.

Lol ... some proof that is.   Believe the communists propaganda if you want   [removed]   i'll believe everyone else.

So blame China for being a bigger country with about 4.5 times the population of the USA, when Americans can be more prolific causing CO2 individually than Chinese people are - some logic there.

It is great logic and very tough for some to face facts i guess.   The earth doesn't care where the most of the CO2 comes from, only that it does.

I hate Justin Trudeau who also was the only Canadian in decades to vote against Israel at the UN, and who has allowed Canada to host growing antisemitism, gun violence, and increasing covid infections, and has made Canada America's poodle.. 

America's poodle?   Hilarious!   That sounds like the CCP talking there.   100%

I'm sure that communist China doesn't like the age old alliances that will fight their draconian ways and expansionist tendencies if required.   It's not the first time that alliance has done what was needed but i hope it's the last.   China wouldn't be the first Asian country to discover that western alliances terrible resolve when pushed too far.

Wishful thinking ......

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
2.1.18  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Sparty On @2.1.17    3 years ago

Since there's no proof for the accusation that the tennis star has been "disappeared" I won't jump to conclusions like those whose goal is to bash China, I'll wait to see if Bach (the IOC chairman) carries out his plan to have dinner with her when he arrives for the Olympics.  

Trudeau's father had a pair of gonads.  He wouldn't kowtow to Nixon so Nixon hated him.  There are more reasons for my feelings about Justin than his being America's poodle. 

Sparty On
Professor Principal
2.1.19  Sparty On  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @2.1.18    3 years ago

Opinions do vary and greatly in this case.

So Canada isn't China's lap dog and is a good ally to the free Western alliances.

Good on them, good for freedom and democracy around the world.   Something that will never be said about China.

Never

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
2.2  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Texan1211 @2    3 years ago
"Good, Last thing I want to see at the Olympics is politicians posturing." 

You mean you don't agree with Biden kicking the spirit of the Olympics in the face, politicizing sport and using it as a weapon?

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.2.1  Texan1211  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @2.2    3 years ago
You mean you don't agree with Biden kicking the spirit of the Olympics in the face, politicizing sport and using it as a weapon?

What I mean is that the Olympics should be politics-free.

I don't tune in to CNN, MSNBC, or FOX to see athletes, and I don't watch ESPN to see politicians.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
2.2.2  Sparty On  replied to  Texan1211 @2.2.1    3 years ago
What I mean is that the Olympics should be politics-free.

That horse left the barn long ago.

And i left the NBA, the NFL and likely soon to be MLB.   In that order and never looked back.

Arrogant asses like Lebron and Kaepernick can kiss my lily white ass.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
2.2.3  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Texan1211 @2.2.1    3 years ago

ANY kind of politics, good or bad, is IMO contrary to the spirit and purpose of the Olympics.  Any athlete or nation that uses the Olympics for purposes contrary to that should be banned from participating in them, and every nation should be made aware of that.  IMO Iran should be banned because it's athletes refuse to compete with Israelis, and the Palestinian Authority should be banned because of what happened in Munich.  Now nations are making a big show about using the Olympics as a way to play politics and punish, and maybe that will work for its own electorate but it doesn't phase a big and powerful nation or force it to comply with anything.  I respect adults who are mature and wise, same for nations, not ones who try to politicize the Olympics. 

MonsterMash
Sophomore Quiet
2.2.4  MonsterMash  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @2.2.3    3 years ago
ANY kind of politics, good or bad, is IMO contrary to the spirit and purpose of the Olympics.  Any athlete or nation that uses the Olympics for purposes contrary to that should be banned from participating in them, and every nation should be made aware of that. 

Years China has boycotted the Olympics for political reasons

In your opinion China should be banned from participating in the Olympics, right Buzz?

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
2.2.5  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  MonsterMash @2.2.4    3 years ago

At least China grew up since then.

MonsterMash
Sophomore Quiet
2.2.6  MonsterMash  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @2.2.5    3 years ago

[Rah.......Rah........][removed [/ S] 

MonsterMash
Sophomore Quiet
2.2.7  MonsterMash  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @2.2.5    3 years ago

[Deleted]

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
2.2.8  XXJefferson51  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @2.2    3 years ago

That regime over there deserves no propaganda value from their little show in the midst of religious persecution and genocide.  Let’s not forget that the first leader of the CCP who never ruled over Taiwan killed more people than either Hitler or Stalin did.  

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
2.2.9  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  XXJefferson51 @2.2.8    3 years ago

Oh, okay, since you want to talk history, let's talk history.  What happened to the millions of Native Americans when your ancestors came to America?  Didn't Americans ever have slaves?  Why did there have to be a civil rights movement?   What happened to the innocent women and children in Hiroshima and Nagasaki when America nuked them? 

And more recently, why was there a BLM movement?  Why is America's incarceration rate the highest in the world?  Why are innocent Asian Americans harassed and attacked?  

Oh, the poor Christians in China aren't allowed to proselytize and advertise their religion with crosses high up on steeples.  What happens to people in America when they don't obey the law there?  Are they given a medal?  I'll believe there is genocide in Xinjiang when it is PROVEN, and not by lies told by rabid anti-Communist super-Christians like Adrian Zenz or paid traitors like the ex-guard.  Since there are about 11 million Uyghurs, why aren't they ALL being detained, instead of just a million or so?  Could it be because most of them are NOT terrorists, religious extremists or separatists?   

But I can understand why the American administration, whether it was Trump or now Biden, HAVE to demonize China for two reasons - as an attempt to contain China to prevent its surpassing America, and to be able to point fingers and blame China in order to deflect attention from their failures, like more than three quarters of a million deaths and Afghanistan. 

Nowhere Man
Junior Guide
2.2.10  Nowhere Man  replied to  XXJefferson51 @2.2.8    3 years ago
That regime over there deserves no propaganda value from their little show

You are aware that the reason the IOC chose China was because their first four choices turned them down? They didn't want the Olympics in their nations? (yep even after they applied for it)

EVERY nation that has ever hosted an Olympics Summer or Winter has made a nationalistic spectacle over it... Yes including us here in the US...

To me, the Olympics are an anachronism from a bygone era, I could care less, for most who go, it's only another sporting meet, to the few it's a golden ticket that will change their lives and make a lot of money for corporations.... (if they win something)

Not worth the price of hosting anymore...

Not worth whining about either...

Sparty On
Professor Principal
3  Sparty On    3 years ago

Nice, can't believe they are doing this.   Good on them .... very good on them.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
4  Trout Giggles    3 years ago

Glad to see the White House is not stopping the athletes from participating

Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom
Professor Guide
4.1  seeder  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom  replied to  Trout Giggles @4    3 years ago
Glad to see the White House is not stopping the athletes from participating

Agreed! 

shona1
PhD Quiet
5  shona1    3 years ago

Morning..don't think anyone is going to miss a bunch of free loading diplomats from any country to be honest.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
5.1  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  shona1 @5    3 years ago

Oh, but shona1, Xi Jinping is crying his eyes out over not having American diplomats attend.  He was so looking forward to forcing them to undergo 15 days quarantine in a Xinjiang reeducation camp.

shona1
PhD Quiet
5.2  shona1  replied to  shona1 @5    3 years ago

Good just announced here we are not sending any free loading diplomats either...

What a cost saving for us and the Chinese...the Games are for athletes not bludging bloody diplomats who have got their snouts in the trough...

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
5.2.1  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  shona1 @5.2    3 years ago

Canada and the UK have now followed the American ploy, all being good poodles for America.  But you and I should never change our avatars because of what their temporary governments might do.  I am still proud to be a Canadian and loyal to my nation no matter how much I despise its leader.  Other than McKenzie King I think Justin Trudeau is the worst Prime Minister Canada has ever had, and the funny thing is that I have always felt that his father was the best Prime Minister Canada ever had.

shona1
PhD Quiet
5.2.2  shona1  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @5.2.1    3 years ago

Hell any other country would be celebrating....less free loaders...why in the hell are flipping diplomats at Olympic Games in the first place...I didn't know that and quite frankly I think it is nothing but a free loading jaunt and for them to live it up...

It will always be a given the West will back up the West.no different to China backing up North Korea, Iran...and lately getting very friendly with Putin...

Never changing my avatar..very happy with our government and its stands and I think Trudeau is doing a good job...but as with most things can't please everyone..🇦🇺🇨🇦

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
5.2.3  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  shona1 @5.2.2    3 years ago
"Never changing my avatar..very happy with our government and its stands and I think Trudeau is doing a good job.."

Trudeau is doing a good job?  That's your opinion and you're not a Canadian, Shona1.  I read the Canadian news every day and am in close contact with my daughter who lives in Toronto.  I won't venture an opinion about Australia's PM because I'm not an Aurstralian and don't know enough to do so.  

Trudeau cast a UN vote against Israel, which no Canadian PM has done for many decades.  Maybe that's a reason why the harassing of Jewish students and antisemitism is burgeoning on Canadian university campuses and elsewhere.  Gun violence is increasing and the virus is eluding being under control - my daughter has been working from Toronto home from shortly after the virus appeared.  I'm not exactly happy with how Canada is being governed these days.

shona1
PhD Quiet
5.2.4  shona1  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @5.2.3    3 years ago

No I am not a Canadian but  from what I have seen and heard he is not to bad...and yes that is my opinion...

Just the same as what I think about China...and I am sure it is no different to what you think about Australia..

Australia has always and does back Israel... nothing has ever changed there and China does not like that either. But that is just a given...

At least if you don't like the government here and in Canada you can vote them out...what does China do for elections?? Or does the Party vote the leader in??

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
5.2.5  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  shona1 @5.2.4    3 years ago

I really don't want to get into a discussion about it with you on this seed, but I'm actually happier living in a country where almost everyone is happy with the government in power and things get done for the benefit of most people, than I would be in one where no matter who is in power and governs about half the country is unhappy and things that need to get done are either delayed by fighting over it or don't get done at all.  It is the reason why China has progressed so quickly, and will continue to do so.

shona1
PhD Quiet
5.2.6  shona1  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @5.2.5    3 years ago

No worries..I am off to go and do some Christmas shopping and have a coffee..

Enjoy your arvo..

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
5.2.7  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  shona1 @5.2.6    3 years ago

LOL.  Thanks.  Just In case anyone besides me was curious...

https://www. urbandictionary .com/define.php?term= Arvo
Oct 18, 2018  · Australian way of saying 'afternoon' One of the many words that Australians have cut syllables off and replaced with "-o".This one represents the hours after 12pm, and is used by

shona1
PhD Quiet
5.2.8  shona1  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @5.2.7    3 years ago

Sorry habit..keep forgetting about our slang... it's every day usage and I think nothing of it..

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
5.2.9  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  shona1 @5.2.8    3 years ago

No need to apologize - I'm not being critical - I respect your inventive use of the language.

shona1
PhD Quiet
5.2.10  shona1  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @5.2.9    3 years ago

Geez you went to some trouble to translate it..

No wonder people can't understand us at times...

I know in Vietnam and Afghanistan alot of troops from other countries could not understand what our mob was talking about...

Bit of a worry when bombs and bullets were flying around...

MonsterMash
Sophomore Quiet
5.2.11  MonsterMash  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @5.2.5    3 years ago
(deleted)

Tacos!
Professor Guide
6  Tacos!    3 years ago
The United States will not send President Biden or any U.S. government official to the Beijing Winter Olympics in February in a signal of displeasure over China’s human rights abuse

Wow. Yeah, I’m sure this will change a lot of minds and policies in China.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
6.1  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Tacos! @6    3 years ago

LOL.  You didn't even need to put a "/s" after that comment.

Ronin2
Professor Quiet
6.1.1  Ronin2  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @6.1    3 years ago

No one is expecting it to; but in the world of politics this is what is done. If Biden would have attended both the left and right would have trashed him for it.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
6.1.2  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Ronin2 @6.1.1    3 years ago

You mean in the AMERICAN  world of politics that is what is done - politicizing and weaponizing sport, trade, and whatever else it can.  Summoning foreign diplomats and banishing them is using political methods for political results.  So much hatred of China has been manufactured and that pot kept stirring that ANY move that is interpreted as alleviating it would be a home-front political disaster for whoever did it.

Freefaller
Professor Quiet
7  Freefaller    3 years ago

Good sounds like the these Olympics are better than the last one already.  Next step is to get all politicians, everywhere to stay home

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
8  Paula Bartholomew    3 years ago

Why should they be allowed there when the families and friends of the athletes can't be?

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
8.1  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @8    3 years ago

Unlike most other nations, China has a ZERO COVID policy, which, in my opinion, it could be the safest country in the world from being infected.  This from the internet:

"After numerous conversations with China’s regime, the IOC stated that the reasoning for the spectator restrictions boiled down to – you guessed it – COVID safety, and promoting winter sports in China."

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
9  Vic Eldred    3 years ago

Canada announces diplomatic boycott of Beijing Olympics

FGKuKk-XsAYubVu?format=jpg&name=medium

http:// hill.cm/gOsBjdG

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
9.1  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Vic Eldred @9    3 years ago

Already old news.  Trudeau made Canada America's poodle long ago.  I'm proud of being a Canadian, but I'm not at all proud of Trudeau as PM - complete opposite of his great father.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
9.1.1  Sparty On  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @9.1    3 years ago

Nah, it's looks like Trudeau is finally learning to stand up to the real world bully.

China.

China just hates it when that can't turn other people and countries into their lap dogs.

Good on you Justin.   Good on you!

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
9.1.2  Vic Eldred  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @9.1    3 years ago

To be fair China did respond to all of this - correct?

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
9.1.3  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Vic Eldred @9.1.2    3 years ago

Yes. They basically said that the boycott was politicizing sport and was contrary to the spirit of the Olympics and in any event, no international diplomats were invited anyway, so they considered the boycott announcements to just have been to please their own constituencies.  

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
9.1.4  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Vic Eldred @9.1.2    3 years ago

(deleted)

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
9.1.5  Vic Eldred  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @9.1.4    3 years ago

I thought they said that two could play that game....in so many words?

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
9.1.6  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Vic Eldred @9.1.5    3 years ago

Yes, I forgot. They said they would be providing a suitable response.  I'm pretty curious about what that could be.

It's about 11 p.m. and I'm turning off my computer.  Your friends can now have a field day with my comments because I won't be here to respond.