╌>

Marjorie Tallchief dies at 95, last of Oklahoma's 'Five Moons' Native American ballerinas | State and Regional News | tulsaworld.com

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  jbb  •  3 years ago  •  16 comments

By:   Brandy McDonnell The Oklahoman (Tulsa World)

Marjorie Tallchief dies at 95, last of Oklahoma's 'Five Moons' Native American ballerinas | State and Regional News | tulsaworld.com
She was the last surviving member of the "Five Moons," five Native American dancers from Oklahoma who took the international ballet world by storm in the 20th century, including her

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

DELRAY BEACH, Fla. ( KFOR ) – Marjorie Tallchief, the first Native American “première danseuse étoile” at the Paris Opera Ballet, died Nov. 30 at her home in Delray Beach, Florida, according to an obituary posted by   Osage News . She was 95. 

Marjorie Louise Tall Chief was born October 19, 1926 in Denver, Colorado. Tallchief grew up on the Osage Reservation in Fairfax, Oklahoma.

Marjorie Tallchief, (light suit, black hat) back, and her sister Maria Tallchief, (dark suit) front go into dancing pose, while Marjorie’s twin sons, Alexander and George, look on. They arrived on the liner, Liberte on Oct. 23, 1956. (AP Photo/Anthony Camerano)

The family eventually moved to Los Angeles, California so Marjorie and her sister, Maria, could pursue ballet training

Marjorie eventually became the first American and Native American to be “première danseuse étoile” of the Paris Opera Ballet.

Tallchief married George Skibine in 1947. Skibine was a choreographer and Tallchief’s dance partner.

They remained married until his death in 1981.

Marjorie Tallchief and her husband George Skibine on Oct. 23, 1956, noted dancers, return to U.S. on the Liberte after an absence of 5 years. They were principal dancers in the Marquis de Cuevas Ballet in France. They returned to star with tour of the U.S. After completion of this tour they will be leading dancers of Paris Grand Opera – the first Americans to be so honored. They live in Fairfax, Oklahoma. (AP Photo/Anthony Camerano)

Tallchief and her family returned to the U.S. in 1965 where she went on to work in New York City, Dallas, Chicago, and Boca Raton, Florida.

In 1991, she was inducted into the   Oklahoma Hall of Fame

She and her sister Maria, along with Moscelyne Larkin, Rosella Hightower, and Yvonne Chouteau – known as the Five Moons – were named   Oklahoma Treasures   at the Governor’s Arts Awards in 1997.

Tallchief is survived by her sons, Alexander and George Skibine, and her grandchildren, Alexandre, Nathalie, Adrian, and Trevor Skibine.

https://kfor.com/news/local/native-american-ballerina-marjorie-tall-chief-first-american-premiere-danseuse-etoile-of-paris-opera-ballet-dies-at-95/

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

JBB
Professor Principal
1  seeder  JBB    3 years ago

The Five Moons were regal in bearing and in spirit...

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
1.1  Raven Wing  replied to  JBB @1    3 years ago

Her Sister, Maria Tallchief, was adored by my Mother. My Mother had pictures of her all around the house. I never heard about Maria's Sister, Marjorie. Maria was the only one I ever knew about. I will be sure to look her up to learn more about her as well.

Thank you for posting this seed, as sad as it is, as it will give me the chance to learn about Marjorie as well.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
2  Perrie Halpern R.A.    3 years ago

Hi Jbb,

If you don't mind, I would like to post more of her history here, since your link has a paywall up.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
2.1  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @2    3 years ago

I couldn't open the link and have to guess that the quotation continued to say "including her sister, Maria Tallchief"  

JBB
Professor Principal
2.2  seeder  JBB  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @2    3 years ago

Go for it...

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
2.2.1  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  JBB @2.2    3 years ago

Thanks. I added it to your article. 

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
2.2.2  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @2.2.1    3 years ago

Thanks for posting the story.  The Tallchief sisters deserve more accolades than they have already received.

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
2.2.3  Raven Wing  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @2.2.1    3 years ago

Thank you very much for adding the story about Marjorie Tallchief. I was never aware of any of the other Sisters, just Maria. 

JBB
Professor Principal
3  seeder  JBB    3 years ago

original

JBB
Professor Principal
4  seeder  JBB    3 years ago

original

JBB
Professor Principal
6  seeder  JBB    3 years ago

original

Kavika
Professor Principal
7  Kavika     3 years ago

I have this photo of America's first Prima Ballerina, IMO it shows her beauty, grace and style.

Veronica
Professor Guide
8  Veronica    3 years ago

Such grace and beauty.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
9  Trout Giggles    3 years ago

Thanks for this article, JBB. The photos show the how graceful these dancers were

JBB
Professor Principal
9.1  seeder  JBB  replied to  Trout Giggles @9    3 years ago

original

Kavika
Professor Principal
10  Kavika     3 years ago

Bronze statues of the ''Five Moons'' in Tulsa, OK.

640px-Five_Moons_2.jpg

Here is a great link that gives some of the backgrounds to each of the ''Five Moons''....