╌>

CDC Says It Overestimated Omicron Spread By More Than 200%

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  vic-eldred  •  3 years ago  •  114 comments

By:   dailycaller

CDC Says It Overestimated Omicron Spread By More Than 200%
The Omicron variant of COVID-19 isn't quite as widespread as the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) previously led people to believe.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

The data for the week of Dec. 12 to Dec. 18 was revised when the CDC released new data for the most recent available week, Dec. 19 to Dec. 25. Instead of Omicron becoming dominant between Dec. 12 and Dec. 18, Delta was still dominant at the time, making up 77% of cases.

Now, according to the most recent estimate for the week of Dec. 19 to Dec. 25, Omicron is dominant. It's still only making up 58.6% of cases, though, not the 73% that was once reported.

The numbers may have been skewed because not all COVID-19 cases in the United States are sequenced to determine which variant they are, meaning the CDC can only estimate based on the cases that are sequenced and submitted to the agency. (RELATED: CDC Shortens Isolation Rules For COVID-Positive Health Care Workers Amid Fear Of Understaffed Hospitals)

Omicron is most prominent right now in Health and Human Services region 2 (New York, New Jersey, Puerto Rico and the Virgin Islands) and region 6 (Arkansas, Louisiana, New Mexico, Texas and Oklahoma). There are two regions where Delta is still the dominant variant: region 1 (Connecticut, Maine, Massachussetts, New Hampshire, Rhode Island and Vermont) and region 7 (Iowa, Kansas Missouri and Nebraska).

The new data suggest Omicron may still have more room to spread than previously believed. While the variant is less severe than prior strains of the virus, it is believed to be far more contagious and can more easily infect vaccinated or naturally immune individuals.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
1  seeder  Vic Eldred    3 years ago

Well this certainly inspires confidence and trust

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
1.1  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  Vic Eldred @1    3 years ago

When I heard about this I thought "holy crap and we are to listen to these guys and gals?"

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
1.2  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Vic Eldred @1    2 years ago

Because perfection is elusive when it comes to anything, would you prefer that they would underestimate rather than overestimate?

TᵢG
Professor Principal
1.2.1  TᵢG  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @1.2    2 years ago

It continues to amaze me how some have no concept of what is involved in science.    They seem to think that scientific research (that means investigating that which is on the very edge of our understanding) somehow will produce perfect information that would never be revised as work continues.

Think of the pioneers exploring our nation to the West.   Did they get everything right?   If they sent letters back home did they ever have a need to revise their positions as they accumulate more data?   Oh, that land we were going to settle in turned out to have poisoned soil unsuitable for crops.    Yeah, there was actually no gold in the hills.   Oops, we stumbled onto desert land and do not think we can cross, need to go around it.

We have been dealing with a pandemic.   The virus has been mutating; impossible to predict what might happen next.   People around the planet all have slightly different biologies and different customs, positions and fears.   Not all field data turns out to be accurate.   And we did not count on such a large minority of the USA refusing to get vaccinated!

And this is all happening in real time.  

Science does not predict the future and ultimately scientists are mere human beings who are looking over the edge of modern knowledge trying to understand what is currently beyond our reach.

Kavika
Professor Principal
1.2.2  Kavika   replied to  TᵢG @1.2.1    2 years ago

Whether they understand or not it is the question IMO, it's something for them to bitch and complain about and it's political. 

TᵢG
Professor Principal
1.2.3  TᵢG  replied to  Kavika @1.2.2    2 years ago
... and it's political. 

And we know that is really what is going on here.   To hell with truth, what matters is political posturing.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
1.2.4  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  TᵢG @1.2.1    2 years ago
"Think of the pioneers exploring our nation to the West.   Did they get everything right?   If they sent letters back home did they ever have a need to revise their positions as they accumulate more data?   Oh, that land we were going to settle in turned out to have poisoned soil unsuitable for crops.    Yeah, there was actually no gold in the hills.   Oops, we stumbled onto desert land and do not think we can cross, need to go around it."

What you wrote there was sure proven in Steinbeck's novel, The Grapes of Wrath.  The Joad family who lost their Oklahoma farm to the bank during the dust bowl days headed west with the dream that California was the land of milk and honey, and when they got there it didn't turn out for them to be what they had anticipated.  They just showed that movie on cable TV here.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
1.2.5  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @1.2    2 years ago

Perfection?

Sorry Buzz, you can't have it both ways. You criticize the US for it's handling of the pandemic, yet for some reason you want to defend the CDC. I think any objective observer can now see that Fauci and the CDC have been both inept and deeply political.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
1.2.6  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Vic Eldred @1.2.5    2 years ago

Why do you question my use of the word "perfection"?  Did I not say perfection was ELUSIVE, meaning it is probably impossible to attain.  At the end of the movie Some Like It Hot, Joe E Brown said "Nobody's perfect", and IMO that can be extended to be NOTHING is perfect.  I believe everything and everybody most likely deserves the criticism of being imperfect, and I never said the CDC or Fauci were perfect.  All I did was ask you if it was YOUR preference that they should in the circumstances underestimate rather than overestimate.

Yet AGAIN you stuff words into my mouth that I did NOT say nor have any intention of saying.  Why should I bother commenting on your seeds?  I don't need to - if someone else speaks for me.

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
1.2.7  XXJefferson51  replied to  TᵢG @1.2.3    2 years ago

That’s typical in mask mandate, vaccine demands, and passport happy blue cities and states.  

JBB
Professor Principal
2  JBB    3 years ago

With our hospitals overrun again what does it matter if Omicron variant accounted for 73% or 58% of cases? 

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
2.1  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  JBB @2    3 years ago

It's about data & science, right?

And trusting those Harvard educated professionals!

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
2.1.1  Ozzwald  replied to  Vic Eldred @2.1    3 years ago
And trusting those Harvard educated professionals!

Who's estimates were correct then?  You can whine about them all you want but their "estimates" were still the closest.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
2.1.2  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  Ozzwald @2.1.1    3 years ago

There are times when I wonder if we had been better off had the CDC not even existed.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
2.1.3  TᵢG  replied to  Vic Eldred @2.1.2    3 years ago

Then we would be getting information from another organization that is reporting on the dynamics of new diseases as they are evolving and spreading.   Hopefully this organization would revise its reports based on the new information they acquire.    It would be bad to have an organization that only cares about image and thus waits until they are 100% certain they will not have to revise before releasing any information to the public.

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
2.2  Jeremy Retired in NC  replied to  JBB @2    3 years ago
With our hospitals overrun again what does it matter if Omicron variant accounted for 73% or 58% of cases? 

When a hospital reports that it's ICU is at 50% capacity it sounds scary.  When you realize that the hospitals ICU has a capacity of 18, it puts things into perspective.  

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
2.2.1  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  Jeremy Retired in NC @2.2    3 years ago
When you realize that the hospitals ICU has a capacity of 18, it puts things into perspective.

jrSmiley_13_smiley_image.gif     Exactly

Snuffy
Professor Participates
2.2.2  Snuffy  replied to  Jeremy Retired in NC @2.2    3 years ago

The other piece that lamestream media almost never touches on is what percentage of ICU beds are taken by COVID patients vs non-COVID patients.  They can rattle out a scary stat that says ICU beds are 97% full...  without telling you the full story.  But hey, fear sells better.

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
2.2.3  Jeremy Retired in NC  replied to  Snuffy @2.2.2    3 years ago
her piece that lamestream media almost never touches on is what percentage of ICU beds are taken by COVID patients vs non-COVID patients.  They can rattle out a scary stat that says ICU beds are 97% full...  without telling you the full story.

It's all about keeping people scared.  When they are scared they are easier to control under the guise of a "solution".

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
2.2.4  Ozzwald  replied to  Jeremy Retired in NC @2.2    3 years ago

When you realize that the hospitals ICU has a capacity of 18, it puts things into perspective.  

Not when you've just had a medical emergency and discover that you are number 19.  So no room at the inn for you.

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
2.2.5  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  Ozzwald @2.2.4    3 years ago

Whooosh.

The point was the fear factor of at "50% capacity" which makes it sound ominous (like a hell of a lot of people) until you realize it's only 9. 

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
2.2.6  Jeremy Retired in NC  replied to  Ozzwald @2.2.4    3 years ago

Doesn't change the my statement.

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
2.2.7  Jack_TX  replied to  Jeremy Retired in NC @2.2.3    3 years ago
It's all about keeping people scared.

They were scared before.  It's a default state of being for many people. 

Before Covid, they were scared of Trump or student loan payments or that billionaires were hoarding all the money or that Brett Kavanaugh was going to bring about The Handmaid's Tale or whatever. 

Covid finally gave them something real to be scared about.  They're not about to let go of that.

When they are scared they are easier to control under the guise of a "solution".

Meh.  It's all about the "feels".  People telling them they should be scared validates their feelings.  

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
2.2.8  Ozzwald  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @2.2.5    3 years ago
The point was the fear factor of at "50% capacity" which makes it sound ominous (like a hell of a lot of people) until you realize it's only 9.

You don't get it. 

Sure it may only be 9, but that ICU is only set up and staffed for a maximum of 18.  ICU's do not have reservations or call ahead seating, they serve everyone in their area and 50% is serious no matter the number because they are still limited by how many they can handle at once. 

Once that ICU is full, whether it is a maximum of 10 or 100, that is it and it means then next person who needs it, may not be able to get it.

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
2.2.9  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  Ozzwald @2.2.8    3 years ago

YOU are the one who couldn't and can't follow the fucking conversation. Screw number 19 as it wasn't part of the discussion. It was pointing to the fear factor of the 50% bullshit that when put into full context was ONLY 9 people occupying the ICU. It was a theoretical using ONLY the 9 factor for the fear mongering "50%" statement. 

50% is serious no matter the number because they are still limited by how many they can handle at once. 

That's NOT what the discussion was about. The discussion was injecting said fear factor into the narrative. And it looks to me like they can handle double what they have in there at the present time.

Nowhere Man
Junior Guide
2.2.10  Nowhere Man  replied to  Ozzwald @2.2.8    3 years ago
Once that ICU is full, whether it is a maximum of 10 or 100, that is it and it means then next person who needs it, may not be able to get it.

So are you advocating for ICU triage to include a persons political preferences when it comes to vaccines? ie everyone other than a non-vaxxed should get preferential treatment?

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
2.2.11  Ozzwald  replied to  Nowhere Man @2.2.10    3 years ago
So are you advocating for ICU triage to include a persons political preferences when it comes to vaccines?

Political preferences when it comes to vaccines?  Are you trying to imply that only republicans refuse to take the vaccine?

The answer is no, but if a person has refused to take the vaccine, and he is admitted for COVID complications, shouldn't that be taken into account as 1 of the many factors to consider?

Nowhere Man
Junior Guide
2.2.12  Nowhere Man  replied to  Ozzwald @2.2.11    3 years ago

What ever their motivations, I just used political as that is the most touted here...

So you are advocating that the unvaxxed should be denied medical care cause they are unvaxxed...

And you also claim that the unvaxxed are the selfish ones... how ironic...

Of course you are not advocating that the unvaxxed should just go away and die...

I don't believe your that heartless.. (although I have been known to be wrong from time to time when it comes to beliefs)

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
2.2.13  Jeremy Retired in NC  replied to  Jack_TX @2.2.7    3 years ago
They were scared before.  It's a default state of being for many people. 

And it's getting old.  They're so stuck on playing lemming that they don't realize that they, many times, are the problem.

Before Covid, they were scared of Trump or student loan payments or that billionaires were hoarding all the money or that Brett Kavanaugh was going to bring about The Handmaid's Tale or whatever. 

Then the 2020 election rolls around and they vote in a true incompetent administration solely on the premise that it's not Trump.

It's all about the "feels".

And that's my whole point in #2.2.  They don't tell you exactly how many are hospitalized because those numbers are significantly less scary than saying 9 out of 18 beds in a particular hospital are Covid patients.  50% is scarier.  It was exasperated in 2020 when EVERYBODY died of Covid.  There were no reports of people dying from Cancer, the flu or any other possible cause of death.  It was all Covid.  I can only imagine how many death certificates list the incorrect cause of death.

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
2.2.14  Jeremy Retired in NC  replied to  Ozzwald @2.2.11    3 years ago
taken into account as 1 of the many factors to consider?

What should be taken into consideration is that as each variant of Covid has emerged it's less severe.  If you look at the symptoms for this current variant, then look at what a dose of Nyquill treats, treatment is 30ml of Nyquill and a good nights sleep.

But those that are stuck on stupid, cling to what ever Dr. Fuckstic (Fauci) spits out and in turn runs around in circles like Chicken Little.

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
2.2.15  Ozzwald  replied to  Nowhere Man @2.2.12    3 years ago
So you are advocating that the unvaxxed should be denied medical care cause they are unvaxxed...

I have no idea where you came up with that, unless you are trying to troll me.

And you also claim that the unvaxxed are the selfish ones...

They are.  You think they are not?  The ones that refuse to wear masks where it is required are also selfish.

Of course you are not advocating that the unvaxxed should just go away and die...

Ok, I can only assume you are trolling by that ridiculous comment.

I don't believe your that heartless.. (although I have been known to be wrong from time to time when it comes to beliefs)

Now you're just trying to cover your ass in case I flag you.

Your response to what I said has been dishonest in that you do not take what said, but decided to reinterpret it in some bizarre way to try and make a ridiculous point.

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
2.2.16  Ozzwald  replied to  Jeremy Retired in NC @2.2.14    3 years ago
What should be taken into consideration is that as each variant of Covid has emerged it's less severe.

You are wrong right there.  Delta version was more severe than the original.  The latest, Omicron, is less severe than the previous ones, but much much more contagious.  

There is nothing that says the next variant won't maintain Omicron's degree of contagion and go back to Delta's level of severity, or worse.  As long as we have unvaccinated petri dishes walking around we will have new variants of COVID.

If you look at the symptoms for this current variant, then look at what a dose of Nyquill treats, treatment is 30ml of Nyquill and a good nights sleep.

And fuck those that are already ill, or with damaged immune systems, where even a mild version of COVID would be deadly for?

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
2.2.17  Jeremy Retired in NC  replied to  Ozzwald @2.2.16    3 years ago
You are wrong right there.  Delta version was more severe than the original.  The latest, Omicron, is less severe than the previous ones, but much much more contagious.  (emphasis mine)

How am I wrong, then you turn around an agree with me?  You're doing a shitty job of trying to convince me that I'm wrong.

And fuck those that are already ill, or with damaged immune systems, where even a mild version of COVID would be deadly for?

And this is what's meant by "It's all about the "feels".  Are you implying that I said they are left to their own accord?  If so, that's a pretty stupid assumption.

Nowhere Man
Junior Guide
2.2.18  Nowhere Man  replied to  Ozzwald @2.2.15    3 years ago
Now you're just trying to cover your ass in case I flag you. Your response to what I said has been dishonest in that you do not take what said, but decided to reinterpret it in some bizarre way to try and make a ridiculous point.

Go ahead and flag away...

Dishonest no and what is bizarre is you espousing some sort of triage for covid patients other than a pure medical need for it...

Reinterpret? no.. illustrating the pure selfishness of what you plainly stated... yes...

Political preferences when it comes to vaccines?  Are you trying to imply that only republicans refuse to take the vaccine? The answer is no, but if a person has refused to take the vaccine, and he is admitted for COVID complications, shouldn't that be taken into account as 1 of the many factors to consider?

Your caught, and now you go into accusation mode to cover your ass from looking like a complete ass..

I didn't twist anything. YOU SAID IT YOU WEAR IT...

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
2.2.19  Ozzwald  replied to  Jeremy Retired in NC @2.2.17    3 years ago
How am I wrong, then you turn around an agree with me?

You said "each variant of Covid has emerged it's less severe", and I pointed out that the Delta variant was more severe.  The only one so far that is less severe is Omicron, and it is still killing people.

You're doing a shitty job of trying to convince me that I'm wrong.

Only because you are doing a shitty job of reading the replies.

And this is what's meant by "It's all about the "feels".  Are you implying that I said they are left to their own accord?  If so, that's a pretty stupid assumption.

No, it means you are discounting their lives by trying to understate the severity, and repercussions, of all COVID variants.

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
2.2.20  Ozzwald  replied to  Nowhere Man @2.2.18    3 years ago
Dishonest no and what is bizarre is you espousing some sort of triage for covid patients other than a pure medical need for it...

Once again you are in lala land making shit up.  The only reason to triage COVID patients is when the ICU's are full and they have to determine who gets the actual ICU beds and who gets the makeshift beds.

Your caught, and now you go into accusation mode to cover your ass from looking like a complete ass..

Now that you've quoted me, show me where I even implied that they "should just go away and die".  And no, I look nothing like you.

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
2.2.21  Jeremy Retired in NC  replied to  Ozzwald @2.2.19    3 years ago
You said "each variant of Covid has emerged it's less severe", and I pointed out that the Delta variant was more severe. 

You pointed out "The latest, Omicron, is less severe than the previous ones".  That's YOUR statement.  

Nowhere Man
Junior Guide
2.2.22  Nowhere Man  replied to  Ozzwald @2.2.20    3 years ago
I even implied that they "should just go away and die"

Where did I say you said that?

You said that whether a person is vaxxed or unvaxxed should be one of the determining factors in do they get ICU beds and the resulting treatment accorded there... As a basis for saving the beds for the more deserving being what you were postulating.... As in the unvaxxed were less deserving...

What I did say was...

So don't put words in my mouth I never said... (which is one of the usual tactics used when caught and trying desperately trying to wiggle off the hook they just put themselves on ....ie. escape the horrible postulation they made when called on it)

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
2.2.23  Ozzwald  replied to  Jeremy Retired in NC @2.2.21    3 years ago
You pointed out " The latest, Omicron, is less severe  than the previous ones".  That's YOUR statement.

I pointed out that the ONLY variant less severe is Omicron.  Once again you dishonestly used quotation marks when you did not quote me.  Here is my quote, and a link to that quote.

The only one so far that is less severe is Omicron, and it is still killing people.

That's YOUR statement.

That is a false claim.  You did not quote MY statement.

YOUR claim is that each variant, as it emerges is less severe, I have shown that to be false.  Since Delta is MORE severe.

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
2.2.24  Ozzwald  replied to  Nowhere Man @2.2.22    3 years ago
As a basis for saving the beds for the more deserving being what you were postulating

Wow, you are making a lot of shit up.  I postulated nothing of the sort. 

Your entire argument appears to hinge on claiming I said something, which I never said.  NOW you are admitting that I never said it, but it is what YOU think I meant, when I didn't say it.

So don't put words in my mouth I never said

jrSmiley_10_smiley_image.gif jrSmiley_10_smiley_image.gif

88aa5a9708fe10faa3529b8420fc07aa.jpg

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
2.2.25  Jeremy Retired in NC  replied to  Ozzwald @2.2.23    3 years ago
You did not quote MY statement.

So you are going to just outright fucking lie. 2.2.16 isn't your statement?  Sure as hell has your name attached to it as the person making the statement.  You have some ghost writer?  You may want to fire them.  [ Deleted ]

Nowhere Man
Junior Guide
2.2.26  Nowhere Man  replied to  Jeremy Retired in NC @2.2.25    3 years ago

That's all he can do now...

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
2.2.27  Ozzwald  replied to  Jeremy Retired in NC @2.2.25    3 years ago
So you are going to just outright fucking lie. 2.2.16 isn't your statement?

2.2.16 was my comment, but the quote you claimed I made is nowhere in there.

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
2.2.28  Ozzwald  replied to  Nowhere Man @2.2.26    3 years ago

That's all he can do now...

Provide links to my actual quotes instead of the ones you pretend I made?

Nowhere Man
Junior Guide
2.2.29  Nowhere Man  replied to  Ozzwald @2.2.28    3 years ago
The answer is no, but if a person has refused to take the vaccine, and he is admitted for COVID complications, shouldn't that be taken into account as 1 of the many factors to consider?

Oh you definitely said it....

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
2.2.30  Ozzwald  replied to  Nowhere Man @2.2.29    2 years ago

Oh you definitely said it....

Very good.  That IS what I said, but it is not what you claimed I said earlier.  So thank you for proving yourself wrong.

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
2.3  Greg Jones  replied to  JBB @2    3 years ago

JBB wrote: "With our hospitals overrun again what does it matter if Omicron variant accounted for 73% or 58% of cases?"

Whose hospitals are overrun? Please provide evidence of such. Omicron has been shown to be less severe with fewer hospitalizations and deaths.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
3  Sparty On    3 years ago

The CDC is a shell of it's former self.  

It's lost its way to political polarization and rhetoric

Bigly!

Nowhere Man
Junior Guide
3.1  Nowhere Man  replied to  Sparty On @3    3 years ago
The CDC is a shell of it's former self.  

Yep, it's primarily run by former big pharma shills and pac hacks...

Nerm_L
Professor Expert
4  Nerm_L    3 years ago

I'm not sure why this bit of information is important.  The media created a panic that overwhelmed the system.  And political opportunists glommed onto the panic to push their own agenda.  The media and political operatives created a self fulfilling prophecy with the CDC as some sort of ready scapegoat.

So, what is being demanded here?  Are we to expand the CDC for these worst case scenarios?  All the excess capacity would sit idle most of the time.  Then the CDC would be blamed for being bloated and inefficient.

Everyone needs to recognize that there is no leadership in the response to the pandemic.  The burden of leadership is being dumped onto the bureaucracy, like the CDC, but national leadership is not the intent, purpose, or function of the bureaucracy.  The people charged with leading the national response to the pandemic are too busy dodging blame, making excuses, and shifting responsibility onto others.  Administrative government is not a substitute for those elected to lead.

What we are witnessing is a power vacuum and lack of leadership.  No one is in charge.  News reporters are exerting more influence on the government response to the pandemic than elected leaders.  Administrative government has been hamstrung by expectations to provide leadership while also being a smokescreen for those elected to lead.  Our ship of state is adrift in unfriendly waters.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
5  Perrie Halpern R.A.    3 years ago

I was just in the hospital on Monday night, and there were people everywhere. There were not enough beds and almost all covid. They were down a lot of staff too. That is the bottom line to this situation. Frankly, I was uncomfortable being there, but I didn't have much of a choice.

Nowhere Man
Junior Guide
5.1  Nowhere Man  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @5    3 years ago

Yep the scared and uninformed, most of those Covid cases will be sent home cause they don't need a respirator... That is the part that is not being said...

If you are at the medical emergency level of sick then call 911 or go to the hospital, otherwise treat yourself and stay home... Much like you would do for the flu or the common cold... Fear from lack of knowledge or good advice drives a lot of irrational behavior... And the media is famous for giving out incomplete and inaccurate information...

Hopefully you didn't catch anything girl, I have it from reliable medical sources that Omicron can infect even the vaxed...

Sparty On
Professor Principal
5.1.1  Sparty On  replied to  Nowhere Man @5.1    3 years ago
I have it from reliable medical sources that Omicron can infect even the vaxed...

That was happening long before Omicron hit our shores.   I had a breakthrough infection in early October.   I was fully vaccinated  

So you have it from very a very reliable source.

Breakthrough infections are as real as a heart-attack.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
5.1.2  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Nowhere Man @5.1    3 years ago

That is not what the hospital staff told me as I was waiting. All the beds were filled and they were concerned about taking care of them since they were down staff. 

They were very worried that I could get an infection and was fully vaccinated and so they stuck me in a private room, removing the covid patient that was in there. The longest part was cleaning up the room.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
5.1.3  TᵢG  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @5.1.2    3 years ago

As you know, I spent a fun evening in the E.R. with my 94 year old father-in-law who had fallen and hit his head.   We of course waited in the hallway for hours before he was able to be seen by a doctor and then hours more as testing staff were able to see him.   They wound up keeping him overnight and into the late afternoon for observation.

During the experience I asked the R.N.s about their workload given Omicron.   They all made the same statement:  that they are being run ragged by all the COVID (they did not know which variant was dominant) patients and wish that people would get vaccinated.   No surprise.

Tacos!
Professor Guide
5.1.4  Tacos!  replied to  TᵢG @5.1.3    3 years ago
and wish that people would get vaccinated

Those monsters!

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
5.1.5  sandy-2021492  replied to  TᵢG @5.1.3    3 years ago

Hope all turns out well.

Ender
Professor Principal
5.1.6  Ender  replied to  TᵢG @5.1.3    3 years ago

My cousin knows a man that was in administration at our hospital. Her son was having bad pains and wanted to go to the ER. She called her friend and he called the ER. They told him currently there was a seven hour wait period.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
5.1.7  TᵢG  replied to  sandy-2021492 @5.1.5    3 years ago

All is well with my father-in-law.   They took great care of him.  Thanks!

Nowhere Man
Junior Guide
5.1.8  Nowhere Man  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @5.1.2    3 years ago
That is not what the hospital staff told me as I was waiting.

I'm also getting something different from my doctors office, so there is a lot of differing things being said to patients depending on location and setting... My personal doc is saying not to go to the hosp. unless you have the usual dangerously high temps and fever... Other than that not much, she says they don't know when it will clear and the staffing is down to next to nothing... Right now they are scared of another disaster like a huge icestorm or other such natural disaster happening that will overwhelm them... 8 hr wait in the ER at Good Sam, 7.5 at TG, and 6 at St Joes... the peripheral hosp's I have no way of finding out...

They are coping with the demand, most wind up getting sent home being told it will pass, but to come back if it gets worse... usually the people showing up at the ER's here are people without a regular physician, so they have no where else to turn...

If there is one thing this has highlighted is there is a severe lack of preparedness in our medical facilities nationwide... Both in facilities and staffing... Something we are going to have to correct...

Sparty On
Professor Principal
5.2  Sparty On  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @5    3 years ago

Last week our regional hospital had 44 people on vents, mostly Covid related.   Yesterday they had 14.

We are down right now with Covid infections, it's very regional

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
5.2.1  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Sparty On @5.2    3 years ago

I'm sure it is. But I have looked at the current hot spot map, and it's pretty bad, and that is of the ones reporting in. As of today, of tests taken and reported, the positivity rate is 13.9%. I am sure there are lots of people taking home tests and not reporting.

Here is the chart of 7 daily average of hospitalization and ICU. It's pretty bad if you do the math.

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
5.2.2  sandy-2021492  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @5.2.1    3 years ago

Virginia just had its highest number of new cases per day since the beginning of the pandemic.

Kavika
Professor Principal
5.2.3  Kavika   replied to  sandy-2021492 @5.2.2    3 years ago

Three days ago Florida recorded the highest number of new COVID cases since the start of the pandemic, over 31,000.

I spoke too soon, yesterday we recorded just shy of 47,000 new cases.

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
5.2.4  sandy-2021492  replied to  sandy-2021492 @5.2.2    3 years ago

Another record.  Thirteen thousand five hundred new cases today (actually, yesterday, but reported today).

Ender
Professor Principal
5.2.5  Ender  replied to  sandy-2021492 @5.2.4    3 years ago

We had over 3600 new cases just Wednesday.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
5.2.6  TᵢG  replied to  sandy-2021492 @5.2.4    3 years ago

As noted elsewhere, there might be a silver lining with the Omicron variant.   It is less severe and more contagious.   Thus nature is providing a way to get antibodies into the stubbornly stupid individuals who refuse to get vaccinated when they are medically suited to do so.

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
5.2.7  sandy-2021492  replied to  TᵢG @5.2.6    3 years ago

Yes, this may be our way to herd immunity.

Unfortunately, there is always the risk of a new variant arising which is more severe, as occurred with the delta variant.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
5.2.8  TᵢG  replied to  sandy-2021492 @5.2.7    3 years ago

Agreed.   But for now, the Omicron variant seems to remain as less severe.   Cross your fingers.

Ender
Professor Principal
5.2.9  Ender  replied to  TᵢG @5.2.8    3 years ago

I just read this from one of our state officials.

"Omicron is just infecting so many people that - even though it may be intrinsically a little less deadly - if you get something that’s only half as deadly, but there’s twice as much of it, those things can kind of cancel out,” he said.

“Omicron has thrown a pretty horrendous curveball in the sense that our most commonly available monoclonals don’t work against Omicron,” State Health Officer Thomas Dobbs said.

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
5.2.10  sandy-2021492  replied to  Ender @5.2.9    3 years ago
“Omicron has thrown a pretty horrendous curveball in the sense that our most commonly available monoclonals don’t work against Omicron,” State Health Officer Thomas Dobbs said.

That part is scary.  So you're much less likely to get really sick, but if you do, there's not as much to be done for you.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
5.2.11  TᵢG  replied to  Ender @5.2.9    3 years ago

Yeah, that rings true with my net conclusion.  

What would suck is if the antibodies from Omicron are not effective on early variants.

Tacos!
Professor Guide
6  Tacos!    3 years ago

The spread of specific variants is always an estimate and not an exact measurement. With two strains competing for dominance, as they appear to be right now, it’s not surprising that this is a difficult number to settle on.

Whatever the actual number is, I doubt it will be changing anyone’s life one way or the other.

What were you going to do with that 73% Omicron number? Cancel a business trip? Plan a different vacation? What will you do now that they say 58%? Something completely different?

What? No changes at all?

Yeah, that’s what I thought. So let’s stop pretending this is important to anyone.

Kavika
Professor Principal
6.1  Kavika   replied to  Tacos! @6    3 years ago

Yesterday new covid cases and deaths...377,014 and 2337 deaths per John Hopkins. 

Sure happy that it isn't really that dangerous.

Tacos!
Professor Guide
6.1.1  Tacos!  replied to  Kavika @6.1    3 years ago
Sure happy that it isn't really that dangerous.

Yeah. It’s far more important to latch onto every development so that it can be magnified into a new conspiracy theory.

Moose Knuckle
Freshman Quiet
7  Moose Knuckle    3 years ago

Looks like the fully vaccinated have a higher risk of the omicron, very odd.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
7.1  TᵢG  replied to  Moose Knuckle @7    3 years ago

Every variant is different.   It is not at all surprising that extant vaccinations will be less effective on new variants.

However, one thing remains quite true.   The unvaccinated are substantially more at risk than the vaccinated.

Moose Knuckle
Freshman Quiet
7.1.1  Moose Knuckle  replied to  TᵢG @7.1    3 years ago

The novavax looks hopeful to me. The two MRNA vaccines would have never been allowed to continue with the massive number of side effects early on.  No vaccine has been left on the market with their track records. They passed the threshold for removal after month one.  I expect the data will show we made grave mistakes with these. It's also clear now with break through infections, they really were not very effective. And yes i am vaccinated for what that is worth.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
7.1.2  TᵢG  replied to  Moose Knuckle @7.1.1    3 years ago
The two MRNA vaccines would have never been allowed to continue with the massive number of side effects early on. 

Where are you getting this info?

I expect the data will show we made grave mistakes with these.

You think it is better for the planet to have not applied these vaccines???

It's also clear now with break through infections, they really were not very effective.

No, it is clear that they are effective.   The fact that break through infections occur is not at all surprising.    Imagine the infections if people were NOT vaccinated.

Moose Knuckle
Freshman Quiet
7.1.3  Moose Knuckle  replied to  TᵢG @7.1.2    3 years ago

If you look at the monthly data on Vaers, you will see we broke the threshold for deaths and side effects in the first month. 

Do think it is better for the planet to have not applied these vaccines???

I do now, what is most alarming to me is the study out of the Netherlands on myocarditis. It was once very rare in young people but that has significantly changed. We also have over 300 soccer players from Europe who were healthy, fit who now have myocarditis. If anything we need to stop and study, something we have not done yet.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
7.1.4  Sparty On  replied to  Moose Knuckle @7.1.3    3 years ago
myocarditis

Yep, we are just beginning to understand such things as time goes on and effects are studied.  

Doubtful this will be the last bad side effect we see from these vaccines

TᵢG
Professor Principal
7.1.5  TᵢG  replied to  Moose Knuckle @7.1.3    3 years ago
I do now ...

Amazing.

Nowhere Man
Junior Guide
7.1.6  Nowhere Man  replied to  TᵢG @7.1.5    3 years ago
Amazing.

What's amazing? that there are actual studies now coming out that vax application in the young might not have been the best idea? Does kind put a dent in the vax everyone mantra doesn't it?

TᵢG
Professor Principal
7.1.7  TᵢG  replied to  Nowhere Man @7.1.6    3 years ago

It is amazing that anyone would think that leaving the entire planet to be infected with coronavirus would be better than dealing with the relatively few side-effects.

JBB
Professor Principal
7.1.8  JBB  replied to  Nowhere Man @7.1.6    3 years ago

Back here in reality over a billion people have received some form or Covid vaccine by now with infinitesimal incidence of adverse side effects. Maybe "We didn't know if it was safe" a year ago. Butt, we damn sure know it is now!

Moose Knuckle
Freshman Quiet
7.1.9  Moose Knuckle  replied to  TᵢG @7.1.7    3 years ago

Who said that? I think people should get vaccinated, i just believe we should find a better vaccine that doesn't give people myocarditis or clotting issues. Since when did a vaccine actually allow you to contract a virus, spread a virus and still end up in a hospital? A shitty vaccine. Thankfully small pox vaccine actually worked. The covid vaccines so far suck.

Novavax looks like a better option, hopefully the roll out is as good as their studies.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
7.1.10  TᵢG  replied to  Moose Knuckle @7.1.9    3 years ago
I think people should get vaccinated

Well good.   Your comments suggested (to me) otherwise.

i just believe we should find a better vaccine that doesn't give people myocarditis or clotting issues.

Well of course.   Ideally a vaccine would have zero side-effects.   But in a dynamic pandemic we need to make priority calls.   You agree, right?

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
7.1.11  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Moose Knuckle @7.1.9    3 years ago

It is a rare side effect and usually resolves totally. It is also worse with the Moderna than with Pfizer.

The researchers found only 1 case per 71,400 vaccinated with Pfizer-BioNTech and 1 case per 23,800 vaccinated with Moderna. Most of the cases had been mild, the study said.

Pfizer-BioNTech's vaccine was only associated with a higher risk of heart inflammation among women, the study said, contrasting with the results of the studies from Israel and the United States.

The authors said the discrepancy could be explained by the average age of the vaccinated population, time span between the first and second shot or because fewer Danes had tested positive for COVID-19.

"Our findings do not generally overshadow the many benefits that come with being vaccinated," study author Anders Hviid said in a statement.

"One must keep in mind that the alternative of getting an infection with COVID-19 probably also involves a risk of inflammation in the heart muscle," Hviid said.

JBB
Professor Principal
7.1.12  JBB  replied to  Moose Knuckle @7.1.9    3 years ago

Do you understand we can see what you said?

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
7.1.13  sandy-2021492  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @7.1.11    3 years ago

Also, myocarditis is more common after infection than after vaccination.

Now a study in the US has analysed how often myocarditis occurs following infection with the coronavirus. Researchers analysed the records of healthcare organisations that cover a fifth of the US population. They found that, during the first 12 months of the pandemic, males aged 12 to 17 were most likely to develop myocarditis within three months of catching covid-19, at a rate of about 450 cases per million infections.
This compares with 67 cases of myocarditis per million males of the same age following their second dose of a Pfizer/BioNTech or Moderna vaccine, according to figures from the US Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices. Researchers added together cases after first and second doses to reach a total rate of 77 cases per million in this male age group triggered by vaccination, a sixth that seen after infection.

Moose Knuckle
Freshman Quiet
7.1.14  Moose Knuckle  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @7.1.11    3 years ago

Look, you are free to believe what you want but Pfizer's study was weak at best. All of the vaccines so far are experimental and we are the test subjects. 

You know as well as I do the vaccines suck. How else can you explain still contracting, spreading and ending up sick from the virus.

My point was, surely we can do better than this as a solution? A vaccine that doesn't really vaccinate you? 

We need to find a better one.

Moose Knuckle
Freshman Quiet
7.1.15  Moose Knuckle  replied to  JBB @7.1.8    3 years ago

It's for the greater good, I think Dr. Mengele said that.

VAERS through JULY 2021 in the US alone.

983,756 Adverse Events

108,572 Hospitalizations

107,860 Urgent Care

12,317 Bell’s Palsy

10,429 Heart Attacks

20,560 Myocarditis

34,615 Permanently Disabled

20,622 Deaths

Long way to go to not catch a cold imho

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
7.1.16  sandy-2021492  replied to  Moose Knuckle @7.1.14    3 years ago

All vaccines have breakthrough infections and side effects.  That is a matter of fact, not "belief".  On the whole, the vaccines currently available have done much more good than harm, and the reservations you've expressed - well, studies show them to be not quite the problem some would have us believe, especially when compared to the same effects caused by infection.

Now, do they likely need tweaking as new variants emerge?  Yes.  Same as the flu vaccine does.  That is the reality of biology and viral mutation, and not a weakness of the vaccine, nor even unique to Covid vaccines.

Moose Knuckle
Freshman Quiet
7.1.17  Moose Knuckle  replied to  sandy-2021492 @7.1.16    3 years ago

Like I said, the Medical standard was destroyed in the first month of the vaccine roll out. We allowed deaths to pile up well beyond the threshold of pull and study.

I really hope you aren't giving medical advise to people in real life.

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
7.1.19  sandy-2021492  replied to  Moose Knuckle @7.1.17    3 years ago

Why don't you tell us what the "medical standard" is?

Moose Knuckle
Freshman Quiet
7.1.20  Moose Knuckle  replied to  sandy-2021492 @7.1.19    3 years ago

I do bring good news for all the branch covidians, bio medical fascists,

If you catch the omicron you get antibodies to 27 proteins in the virus instead of injecting yourself with one.

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
7.1.21  sandy-2021492  replied to  TᵢG @7.1.7    3 years ago
It is amazing that anyone would think that leaving the entire planet to be infected with coronavirus would be better than dealing with the relatively few side-effects.

Right?  I had a rough time with the second dose of the vaccine (and reported my side effects to the VAERS), but I was damn glad I'd had it when I was exposed in September.  Two of my employees (both vaccinated) caught Covid, but had pretty minor illnesses.  I had some sniffles, so I got tested, and was negative.  They both recovered quickly and mostly complained about being bored while they finished out their quarantine period.  One has lingering loss of taste, but otherwise, they're both fine.  I'm pretty sure the source of my symptoms was just ragweed.

Another employee who caught it from her husband before the vaccine was available is still struggling over a year later with cardiac issues.

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
7.1.22  sandy-2021492  replied to  Moose Knuckle @7.1.20    3 years ago

So, basically, you're repeating what TiG and I said above @5.2.6 and @5.2.7

Now, how about those "medical standards"?

Sparty On
Professor Principal
7.2  Sparty On  replied to  Moose Knuckle @7    3 years ago

Crazy

Moose Knuckle
Freshman Quiet
7.2.1  Moose Knuckle  replied to  Sparty On @7.2    3 years ago

What's crazy is when you look at the data coming out of Israel, the world's most vaccinated country.  It's not looking good for the MRNA vaccines at all but we have some cultist fact deniers here. 1280

Sparty On
Professor Principal
7.2.2  Sparty On  replied to  Moose Knuckle @7.2.1    3 years ago

I wish i could say i was surprised by that data but i'm not.   Not really.

Ender
Professor Principal
7.2.3  Ender  replied to  Sparty On @7.2.2    3 years ago

You can read that?

Sparty On
Professor Principal
7.2.4  Sparty On  replied to  Ender @7.2.3    3 years ago

You can't?

Nowhere Man
Junior Guide
7.2.5  Nowhere Man  replied to  Ender @7.2.3    3 years ago
You can read that?

Sure, it's a fairly simple week by week ranking chart of total cases supported by the same type chart limited to rise over the last week in percentages to highlight the point of most serious rise.....

Clearly shows the spiking beginning with the push for a third shot and rising rapidly afterwards... Two sets divided between only adult cases and all cases

Ender
Professor Principal
7.2.6  Ender  replied to  Sparty On @7.2.4    3 years ago

The whole thing is a blur. If you can read all of that....

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
7.2.7  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  Ender @7.2.6    3 years ago

You must be on a phone or tablet???? It's fine on my monitor.

Ender
Professor Principal
7.2.8  Ender  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @7.2.7    3 years ago

Nope. Desktop right now and the picture is a blurry mess.

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
7.2.9  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  Ender @7.2.8    3 years ago

Bummer...............

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
7.2.10  sandy-2021492  replied to  Nowhere Man @7.2.5    3 years ago

The recommendation for a third dose started around July in Israel for those over 60 and expanded to anybody over 12 by the end of August.  These charts don't show data earlier than October 17th.  What they DO show is an increase in cases across all groups (2 doses, 3 doses, and unvaccinated) after the spread of the Omicron variant (first identified in Botswana and South Africa in November).

The rapid rise indicates that our current vaccines are not as effective against Omicron as they were against other strains of Covid.

Basically, this is what we have been warned about since anti-vaxxers started anti-vaxxing - a strain has arisen to which our vaccines offer little protection, and may not have done if more people had done the responsible thing and had their vaccines.

Ender
Professor Principal
7.2.11  Ender  replied to  sandy-2021492 @7.2.10    3 years ago

You can read that? Why is it only blurry for me...

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
7.2.12  sandy-2021492  replied to  Ender @7.2.11    3 years ago

It's kinda blurry in spots, but not enough that I can't make it out.

Can you increase the resolution on your monitor?

Ender
Professor Principal
7.2.13  Ender  replied to  sandy-2021492 @7.2.12    3 years ago

Everything else is fine. I use to be able to do screen shots on my laptop. I would screen shot and show.

Oh well. Not that big of a deal. I will shut up now.  Haha

Sparty On
Professor Principal
7.2.14  Sparty On  replied to  Ender @7.2.6    3 years ago

I can read it just fine as well.  

Yeah it's not sharp as it could be but such is life when dealing with links.