╌>

Donald Trump Jr., Ivanka Trump subpoenaed in New York probe

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  hallux  •  2 years ago  •  25 comments

By:   Jonathan Stempel and Karen Freifeld - Reuters

Donald Trump Jr., Ivanka Trump subpoenaed in New York probe

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

NEW YORK, Jan 3 (Reuters) - New York's attorney general has subpoenaed two of Donald Trump's adult children, Donald Trump Jr and Ivanka Trump, as part of her civil probe into the former U.S. president's business practices and namesake company.

The subpoenas from the office of Attorney General Letitia James were disclosed in a Monday filing with a New York state court in Manhattan.

James has also subpoenaed Trump. Lawyers for the Trump family are seeking to block her from questioning the former Republican president and his children, the filing said.

Lawyers for the family were not immediately available for comment.

The subpoenas were first reported by the New York Times, which cited a person familiar with the matter.

Last month, Trump   sued   James to block her civil probe into the Trump Organization, accusing the Democrat of partisan politics.

James has been investigating whether the company fraudulently inflated the values of its real estate holdings to obtain bank loans, and reduced the values to save on taxes.

Her probe is related to but separate from a criminal probe by the Manhattan district attorney into the Trump Organization's business practices. James joined that probe last May.

Eric Trump, another of Trump's adult children, was questioned by James' office in October 2020.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Hallux
Masters Principal
1  seeder  Hallux    2 years ago

Having spent their lives suing anything that moves, the Trumps are giving new meaning to 'live by the sword, die by the sword'.

Hallux
Masters Principal
1.1  seeder  Hallux  replied to  Hallux @1    2 years ago

The article has been updated:

NEW YORK, Jan 3 (Reuters) - New York state's attorney general is demanding that two of Donald Trump's adult children, Donald Trump Jr. and Ivanka Trump, testify in her civil probe into the former U.S. president's business practices and namesake company.

Subpoenas to the Trumps from the office of Attorney General Letitia James were disclosed in a Monday filing with a New York state court in Manhattan.

Donald Trump has also been subpoenaed to   testify under oath , and the Trump family plans to ask a judge who has overseen disputes related to the probe to block James' lawyers from obtaining their testimony, according to the filing.

James' subpoenas reflect an escalation of her nearly three-year probe into whether the Trump Organization fraudulently inflated the values of its real estate holdings to obtain bank loans, and reduced their values to lower its tax bills.

Alina Habba, a lawyer for Donald Trump, in an emailed statement accused James, a Democrat, of having "weaponized her office" through a "political witch hunt" that violates the former Republican president's constitutional rights.

"Her actions are a threat to our democracy and I plan to hold her accountable to the fullest extent," Habba said in response to a request for comment from the Trump Organization.

Lawyers for Trump's children did not immediately respond to requests for comment.

Eric Trump, another adult son of Donald Trump, was questioned by James' office in October 2020.

Donald Trump turned over the Trump Organization to his adult sons and the company's longtime chief financial officer, Allen Weisselberg, when he became president in 2017.

NEW YORK, Jan 3 (Reuters) - New York state's attorney general is demanding that two of Donald Trump's adult children, Donald Trump Jr. and Ivanka Trump, testify in her civil probe into the former U.S. president's business practices and namesake company.

Subpoenas to the Trumps from the office of Attorney General Letitia James were disclosed in a Monday filing with a New York state court in Manhattan.

Donald Trump has also been subpoenaed to   testify under oath , and the Trump family plans to ask a judge who has overseen disputes related to the probe to block James' lawyers from obtaining their testimony, according to the filing.

James' subpoenas reflect an escalation of her nearly three-year probe into whether the Trump Organization fraudulently inflated the values of its real estate holdings to obtain bank loans, and reduced their values to lower its tax bills.

Alina Habba, a lawyer for Donald Trump, in an emailed statement accused James, a Democrat, of having "weaponized her office" through a "political witch hunt" that violates the former Republican president's constitutional rights.

"Her actions are a threat to our democracy and I plan to hold her accountable to the fullest extent," Habba said in response to a request for comment from the Trump Organization.

Lawyers for Trump's children did not immediately respond to requests for comment.

Eric Trump, another adult son of Donald Trump, was questioned by James' office in October 2020.

Donald Trump turned over the Trump Organization to his adult sons and the company's longtime chief financial officer, Allen Weisselberg, when he became president in 2017.

Ivanka Trump, had also worked for the Trump Organization, before serving in the White House as a senior adviser.

RELATED CRIMINAL PROBE

James' probe has   focused on   properties including the Seven Springs Estate in Westchester County, New York, a downtown Manhattan office building, the Trump National Golf Club in Los Angeles, and the Trump International Hotel and Tower in Chicago.

It is related to but separate from a criminal probe by the Manhattan District Attorney's Office, and which James joined last May, into the Trump Organization's business practices.

Weisselberg and the company pleaded   not guilty   in that probe last July to charges they ran what a prosecutor called a "sweeping and audacious" tax fraud in which company executives were awarded "off-the-books" benefits over 15 years.

The criminal probe is now overseen by Alvin Bragg, who was sworn in on Saturday as district attorney to succeed fellow Democrat Cyrus Vance, who led that office for 12 years and began the probe in 2018

Bragg told CNN last month that he plans to be   personally involved   in the criminal probe, and wanted his top lawyers on the case to stay on.

Last month, Trump   sued   James in a federal court in Albany, the state capital, to halt her civil probe, accusing her of trying to "harass, intimidate, and retaliate against a private citizen who she views as a political opponent."

Donald Trump and his adult children have not been accused of criminal wrongdoing, and James cannot file criminal charges because her probe is civil.

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
2  Paula Bartholomew    2 years ago

I am not holding my breath that they will finally be sentenced and be behind bars with that jackalope Garland in charge of the DOJ.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.1  Texan1211  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @2    2 years ago
I am not holding my breath that they will finally be sentenced and be behind bars with that jackalope Garland in charge of the DOJ.

The very same Garland that President Obama nominated to SCOTUS?

The very same Garland who President Biden selected as his very own Attorney General?

Split Personality
Professor Guide
2.2  Split Personality  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @2    2 years ago

It's a civil case with monetary fines or damages.

Could be interesting.

the Trumps always try to settle out of court without admitting any guilt

JBB
Professor Principal
2.2.1  JBB  replied to  Split Personality @2.2    2 years ago

Civil investigations oft end in criminal charges.

Split Personality
Professor Guide
2.2.2  Split Personality  replied to  JBB @2.2.1    2 years ago

Defrauding the City of NY, the state of NY and several of its Counties of large sums of taxes or fees?

Possible bank fraud in obtaining mortgages or favorable rates by over or under valuing property 

depending on which way the wind was blowing?

Say it isn't so. jrSmiley_87_smiley_image.gif jrSmiley_72_smiley_image.gif

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
2.2.3  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  Split Personality @2.2    2 years ago

The cs RNC will pay any judgments just like they are doing now with paying his legal defenses.

Split Personality
Professor Guide
2.2.4  Split Personality  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @2.2.3    2 years ago

Maybe the court can ban that, not sure.  These people, like their Russian tenants, clients and friends are money launderers extraordinaire.

zuksam
Junior Silent
2.2.5  zuksam  replied to  Split Personality @2.2.2    2 years ago
Defrauding the City of NY, the state of NY and several of its Counties of large sums of taxes or fees? Possible bank fraud in obtaining mortgages or favorable rates by over or under valuing property 

Seems like bullshit to me. Since when does a municipality take a property owners word as a means for assessing value on a property? Same thing goes for a Bank. A Property Owner can say whatever they want as it's just their opinion but it's still the Bank's or Municipality's responsibility to do their due diligence. The values of the type of properties Trump owns can change drastically over a few years compared to single family and other typical buildings. Large High Rise type residential and office buildings can double in value or lose half their value faster than any other type of real estate.

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
2.2.6  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  Split Personality @2.2.4    2 years ago

If a private citizen foots the bill, then there is no recourse.  But if the RNC is using taxpayer dollars, then a judge needs to step in on that bs and charge all involved under misappropriation of funds.

Kavika
Professor Principal
3  Kavika     2 years ago
Last month, Trump sued James in a federal court in Albany, the state capital, to halt her civil probe, accusing her of trying to "harass, intimidate, and retaliate against a private citizen who she views as a political opponent."

Texan1211
Professor Principal
4  Texan1211    2 years ago

Sounds like yet another lawyer trying to make a career out of prosecuting Trump.

JBB
Professor Principal
4.1  JBB  replied to  Texan1211 @4    2 years ago

The infamous mob lawyer Roy Cohn who was an infamous closet case and was Olde Joe McCarthy's number one henchman groomed three personal butt boys. They were Paul Manafort, Roger Stone and Donald John Trump. That should be enough said...

Texan1211
Professor Principal
4.1.1  Texan1211  replied to  JBB @4.1    2 years ago

Wow, how far off topic to my comment can you get?

And what is with the fascination with butts????????

JBB
Professor Principal
4.1.2  JBB  replied to  Texan1211 @4.1.1    2 years ago

WHOOSH...

Texan1211
Professor Principal
4.1.3  Texan1211  replied to  JBB @4.1.2    2 years ago

Aww, did someone burst your balloon?

Hallux
Masters Principal
4.1.4  seeder  Hallux  replied to  Texan1211 @4.1.1    2 years ago
Wow, how far off topic to my comment can you get? And what is with the fascination with butts????????

On my seeds if the topic is Mercury, Pluto can be discussed.

As to 'butts', where oh where have you been grasshopper? 'Butts' is a transition spelling/pun from a group named Buttheads on the old NV.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
4.1.5  Texan1211  replied to  Hallux @4.1.4    2 years ago
On my seeds if the topic is Mercury, Pluto can be discussed.

Duly noted, sir.

Taking your fine example, then if you seed an article about a politician, then any politician is also on topic? Just making sure I am clear to avoid future problems.

As to 'butts', where oh where have you been grasshopper? 'Butts' is a transition spelling/pun from a group named Buttheads on the old NV.

I have seen exactly what you are talking about, and have not commented on that type of usage.

However, in this particular instance, I was specifically addressing this comment in post 4.1:

The infamous mob lawyer Roy Cohn who was an infamous closet case and was Olde Joe McCarthy's number one henchman groomed three personal butt boys.

Now, if you can stretch that comment into what you described about the "BUTT", I am all ears!

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
5  Hal A. Lujah    2 years ago

Poor Trumps just can’t catch a break. jrSmiley_78_smiley_image.gif

“You always wanted to show losses for tax purposes....almost all real estate developers did - and often re-negotiate with banks, it was sport.”

- Donald Trump

Texan1211
Professor Principal
5.1  Texan1211  replied to  Hal A. Lujah @5    2 years ago

I wonder how many people on this site have ever heard of a bank taking their word for evaluations of any property instead of the bank looking at actual appraisals from the taxing entities and looking at comps in the same area?

Krishna
Professor Expert
5.1.1  Krishna  replied to  Texan1211 @5.1    2 years ago

Why are you wondering that?

Texan1211
Professor Principal
5.1.2  Texan1211  replied to  Krishna @5.1.1    2 years ago

Because I want to know. One of the charges is that Trump either inflated real estate values or deflated them for his personal benefit. I would like to know how he did it. Whenever I have ever gotten a loan from any financial institute, they always got their own appraisal or one from the local taxing entities.  I want to know how and why a bank would loan more than what property is worth.  Aren't you the least bit curious?

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
5.1.3  Hal A. Lujah  replied to  Texan1211 @5.1    2 years ago

I wonder how many people on this site have ever heard of a bank taking their word for evaluations of any property instead of the bank looking at actual appraisals from the taxing entities and looking at comps in the same area?

I wonder how many people on this site can even relate to the kind of wealth that the Trump family hustles their victims with. 

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
6  Buzz of the Orient    2 years ago

That took a year or two, next step in 2025 and then a trial when I'm dead and gone....Justice delayed is Justice delayed and delayed and delayed and........

R-C.b85b30aaec9ac7a85e07169d7872ab9f?rik=YGzzQULlduWTpw&riu=http%3a%2f%2filfamilylaw.com%2fwp-content%2fuploads%2f2013%2f11%2fSlow-Justice.jpg&ehk=M6wlGzkoYTfACdojg7taqDeSwmPLeJu6YXx%2b26aQvSA%3d&risl=&pid=ImgRaw&r=0