╌>

New York City mayor allows noncitizen voting bill to become law

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  vic-eldred  •  2 years ago  •  55 comments

By:   Yacob Reyes (Axios)

New York City mayor allows noncitizen voting bill to become law
The first elections noncitizens would be allowed to vote are in 2023.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

More than 800,000 noncitizens can  vote in local elections  after New York City Mayor Eric Adams allowed legislation to take effect on Sunday.

Driving the news:  Adams initially expressed concern over the legislation, which the  City Council approved a month ago , but the Democratic governor ultimately  supported the measure  and allowed his 30-day time limit to veto the bill to expire,  according to AP .

Why it matters:  If the implementation is not curtailed by a judge, New York City will become the first major city in the country to extend voting rights to noncitizens, per AP.

• The first elections noncitizens would be allowed to vote  are in 2023 .

What they're saying: " I believe that New Yorkers should have a say in their government, which is why I have and will continue to support this important legislation," Adams said in a statement Saturday.

• While I "had some concerns about one aspect of the bill, I had a productive dialogue with my colleagues in government that put those concerns at ease."
  • "I believe allowing the legislation to be enacted is by far the best choice, and look forward to bringing millions more into the democratic process," he added.

What to watch:  Republicans have vowed to challenge the measure in court, claiming it  violates the state's constitution  and election law.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
1  seeder  Vic Eldred    2 years ago

There is something else to watch for: The same people who said it isn't happening or it can't happen, will now be saying why shouldn't it happen?

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
1.1  Sean Treacy  replied to  Vic Eldred @1    2 years ago

That’s the story that’s played out time and time again.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
1.1.1  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  Sean Treacy @1.1    2 years ago

Only this time they aren't trying to hide it.

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
1.2  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  Vic Eldred @1    2 years ago

And this is a former NYPD cop doing this. Scary.

Snuffy
Professor Participates
2  Snuffy    2 years ago

Now you know  you are gonna get loads of posters who will all say basically the same thing, that if a person is living there, working and paying taxes then they should have a voice in their local government.

To that I say no. IMO paying taxes is the exchange for working here. If you want to also vote then you should go the extra step to become a citizen and forgo your previous nationality (or in those rare occurrences where the person holds dual citizenship). 

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
2.1  Ozzwald  replied to  Snuffy @2    2 years ago
Now you know  you are gonna get loads of posters who will all say basically the same thing, that if a person is living there, working and paying taxes then they should have a voice in their local government. To that I say no.

So taxation without representation is okay with you?

jw
Freshman Silent
2.1.1  jw  replied to  Ozzwald @2.1    2 years ago

There is a process to get representation, become a citizen of the country in which you are living, and then you can have a say in its governmental operations. 

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
2.1.2  Ozzwald  replied to  jw @2.1.1    2 years ago
There is a process to get representation, become a citizen of the country in which you are living, and then you can have a say in its governmental operations.

So until then they shouldn't have to pay taxes?

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
2.1.3  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  Ozzwald @2.1.2    2 years ago

Yes they should. Consider it a privilege charge for being able to use the US and all it offers as a home......................

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
2.1.4  Ozzwald  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @2.1.3    2 years ago
Yes they should. Consider it a privilege charge for being able to use the US and all it offers as a home.

So, taxation without representation.

jw
Freshman Silent
2.1.5  jw  replied to  Ozzwald @2.1.2    2 years ago

Are they receiving the benefits of those taxes that they have paid?  Fire protection, Police protection, paved roads, schools etc.  If they want a say in how that money is applied become a citizen.  

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.1.6  Texan1211  replied to  Ozzwald @2.1.4    2 years ago

If they are worried about that, they can CERTAINLY apply to become legal citizens.

No problem at all!

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.1.7  Texan1211  replied to  Ozzwald @2.1.4    2 years ago
So, taxation without representation.

Do illegal aliens really believe that they should recieve free stuff?

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
2.1.8  Ozzwald  replied to  jw @2.1.5    2 years ago
Are they receiving the benefits of those taxes that they have paid?

It is still, taxation without representation.

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
2.1.9  Ozzwald  replied to  Texan1211 @2.1.6    2 years ago
If they are worried about that, they can CERTAINLY apply to become legal citizens.

What makes you think they haven't?  Be kind of silly to register to vote if you aren't trying to become a citizen.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.1.10  Texan1211  replied to  Ozzwald @2.1.8    2 years ago

Gee, maybe they should sue?

Oh, wait, they can't expose their illegal status, can they?

If they object to paying taxes in the US, there is certainly one solution--get the fuck out.

Problem solved.

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
2.1.11  Ozzwald  replied to  Texan1211 @2.1.7    2 years ago

Typical right wing reply.  Why do you always assume that all "non-citizens" are illegal?

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.1.12  Texan1211  replied to  Ozzwald @2.1.9    2 years ago
What makes you think they haven't?  Be kind of silly to register to vote if you aren't trying to become a citizen.

If they have, then no need for this new law.

they can vote as soon as they are legally allowed to through US citizenship.

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
2.1.13  Ozzwald  replied to  Texan1211 @2.1.10    2 years ago
If they object to paying taxes in the US, there is certainly one solution--get the fuck out.

Wouldn't it be considered racist to assume that all "non-citizens" in this country are here illegally?  Just asking....

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
2.1.14  Ozzwald  replied to  Texan1211 @2.1.12    2 years ago

they can vote as soon as they are legally allowed to through US citizenship.

Not until they have been granted citizenship status after 2+ years.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.1.15  Texan1211  replied to  Ozzwald @2.1.13    2 years ago
Wouldn't it be considered racist to assume that all "non-citizens" in this country are here illegally? 

Not at all.

Please learn what racism is.

Here:

racism

noun
‎rac·​ ism‎ | \ ˈrā-ˌsi-zəm  also -ˌshi- \

Definition of racism

1: a belief that race is a fundamental determinant of human traits and capacities and that racial differences produce an inherent superiority of a particular race
Democrats have been accusing people of racism for so long that they don't even know what the hell it is anymore.
Sad.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.1.16  Texan1211  replied to  Ozzwald @2.1.14    2 years ago

So they can follow the process like ALL the other legal immigrants have done.

jw
Freshman Silent
2.1.17  jw  replied to  Ozzwald @2.1.8    2 years ago

Have they an any way been denied access to become a citizen?  If not it is their personal choice to be taxed without representation,  and choices have consequences, they don't get a voice in where or how their tax dollars are spent..

If they do not want to be taxed that is fine with me, but they then must pay for services rendered that the rest of us pay for through taxation.  If their house is on fire they pay to get it put out, need a police officer, they pay for it, want to send their children to school get out the checkbook and pay for it, want to drive on paved roads you get charged by the mile of usage.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.1.18  Texan1211  replied to  Ozzwald @2.1.11    2 years ago
Typical right wing reply.  Why do you always assume that all "non-citizens" are illegal?

Please read my comment again.

Here:

I assumed nothing, YOU did.

You "assumed" I was talking about all non-citizens, but I was not, as evidenced by my comment.

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
2.1.19  Ozzwald  replied to  Texan1211 @2.1.16    2 years ago

So they can follow the process like ALL the other legal immigrants have done.

And, for all you know, they are in the middle of that process right now.  Remember, YOU are the one calling them illegals.

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
2.1.20  Ozzwald  replied to  jw @2.1.17    2 years ago
Have they an any way been denied access to become a citizen?

Doesn't matter.

If not it is their personal choice to be taxed without representation,  and choices have consequences, they don't get a voice in where or how their tax dollars are spent.

But it is New York's choice, and that is what this article is talking about despite your attempts to derail it.

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
2.1.21  Ozzwald  replied to  Texan1211 @2.1.18    2 years ago
I assumed nothing, YOU did.

You replied in response to this article, you ASSUMED the article was discussing illegal aliens, and you are now upset I called you out on your assumption.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.1.22  Texan1211  replied to  Ozzwald @2.1.21    2 years ago

Spin it in any little old way that makes you feel good!

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.1.23  Texan1211  replied to  Ozzwald @2.1.19    2 years ago

Spin it baby!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

jw
Freshman Silent
2.1.24  jw  replied to  Ozzwald @2.1.20    2 years ago

Doesn't matter

It does matter, if they are denied the ability to become a citizen then they are being suppressed by the government, which should be addressed immediately and appropriate legal actions taken.  If it is a choice to not become a citizen that is on them.

This is not a new concept in this country " alien suffrage" was common  until about 1875 when 22 states and territories granted the right to vote to non citizens, which ended in about 1920, at which point all states required citizenship as a condition of voter eligibility.  And now we are coming full circle.

This has to pass the muster of the New York State Constitution Article 2 section 1 grants the right to vote in all elections to "every citizen" 18 years or older.  This is very broad and does not distinguish between  federal, state or municipal elections.  So the law may not even be in compliance with the state constitution. I guess that is for a judge to decide. 

As far as a derail, you are the one who repeatedly brought up taxation without representation not me.

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
2.1.25  Ozzwald  replied to  jw @2.1.24    2 years ago
It does matter

Not in regards to this article or comment thread.  You want to make it matter, start your own comment thread about it.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
2.1.26  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Texan1211 @2.1.7    2 years ago
"Do illegal aliens really believe that they should recieve free stuff?"

Did anyone say that ILLEGAL ALIENS should have the right to vote?  I had previously elsewhere said that I thought LEGAL IMMIGRANT RESIDENTS should have the right to vote on municipal matters that affect them.  It will be interesting to see if this will weather the legal challenges that are bound to be brought by the many who so afraid of it and oppose such an issue.  If it does, all the people who demand that NOBODY can vote on ANYTHING unless they're American citizens, including those who shouted me down on this very issue a while ago when it was previously raised, can go home and cry over their spilt milk.

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
2.1.27  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  Texan1211 @2.1.7    2 years ago

They certainly do down in my neck of the AZ/Mexico  border!

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
2.2  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Snuffy @2    2 years ago
"...you should go the extra step to become a citizen and forgo your previous nationality (or in those rare occurrences where the person holds dual citizenship). "

Am I wrong to assume that your reference to being a dual citizen still means they are not American citizens?  If one of their citizenships is American, then why don't they have the right to vote? - you imply that dual citizens still don't and have to give up something.

Snuffy
Professor Participates
2.2.1  Snuffy  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @2.2    2 years ago

No, I meant dual citizenship such as a citizen of the US and England at the same time.  There are I believe some rare occurrences of this.  They should be allowed to vote as they do hold a US citizenship but as a dual citizen they would not forgo their previous nationality.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
2.2.2  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Snuffy @2.2.1    2 years ago

Okay.  There are probably a lot of persons who are dual citizens of the USA and Canada.

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
3  Sean Treacy    2 years ago

I guess he has no national aspirations after all.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
3.1  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  Sean Treacy @3    2 years ago

Maybe he prefers the concrete jungle?

SteevieGee
Professor Silent
4  SteevieGee    2 years ago

San Francisco has had non-citizen voting for years now and, so far, God hasn't turned it into a smoldering crater.  It only applies to parents and guardians of children in the school district though and for elections to school board.  New York's law goes further allowing them to vote for all city offices.  I get why you guys are upset. 800,000 new NY voters.  This is bad news for any party who's spent the last 10 years bashing immigrants.

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
4.1  Greg Jones  replied to  SteevieGee @4    2 years ago

And that is why the Democrats are losing the Hispanic vote...

SteevieGee
Professor Silent
4.1.1  SteevieGee  replied to  Greg Jones @4.1    2 years ago

I work in construction and I know a lot of Mexicans.  They don't vote as one bloc at all.  Many are devout Catholics and vote pro-life, or would if the pro-life candidate wasn't bashing immigrants all the time.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
4.1.2  Texan1211  replied to  SteevieGee @4.1.1    2 years ago

The results of the past election tell a different tale. Hispanics are trending toward the GOP.

I guess they might have gotten tired of being treated as a single bloc of voters totally devoted to the Democratic Party, only to watch it demand citizenship for illegal aliens, after many of them immigrated here legally.

Gee, I can see no reason that anyone here legally would be pissed about that.

/s

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
4.1.3  Hal A. Lujah  replied to  Texan1211 @4.1.2    2 years ago

Hispanics are trending toward the GOP.

I wonder if they are caging their own children now.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
4.1.4  Texan1211  replied to  Hal A. Lujah @4.1.3    2 years ago
I wonder if they are caging their own children now.

As opposed to letting them cross the border alone and illegally?

I get that is much more acceptable to the left.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
4.2  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  SteevieGee @4    2 years ago
This is bad news for any party who's spent the last 10 years bashing immigrants.

Correction, again - Illegal immigrants

charger 383
Professor Silent
5  charger 383    2 years ago

This is like letting me vote at the board meetings of Berkshire Hathaway, and Amazon but I don't have any stock  

charger 383
Professor Silent
6  charger 383    2 years ago

This country should be run to benefit of our citizens only 

Tessylo
Professor Principal
6.1  Tessylo  replied to  charger 383 @6    2 years ago

How exclusionary of you.  

charger 383
Professor Silent
6.1.1  charger 383  replied to  Tessylo @6.1    2 years ago

Well, who do you think the USA should be run for?  And what are you willing to give up?

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
6.1.2  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  charger 383 @6.1.1    2 years ago

Well, charger, IMO it seems to want to run the whole world ITS way.

charger 383
Professor Silent
6.1.3  charger 383  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @6.1.2    2 years ago

run the whole world? maybe a long time ago but now those in power here seem to be OK with letting the whole world come here and vote in our elections

Texan1211
Professor Principal
6.2  Texan1211  replied to  charger 383 @6    2 years ago
This country should be run to benefit of our citizens only 

Damn straight!

MrFrost
Professor Expert
7  MrFrost    2 years ago

States rights. As long as they vote for Democrats, I'm good with it. 

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
7.1  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  MrFrost @7    2 years ago
As long as they vote for Democrats,

That must be because the RNC has sued:

"The   Republican National   Committee   (RNC) is suing New York City Mayor   Eric Adams   over the city law allowing noncitizens to vote in local elections.

The RNC announced the lawsuit on Monday, with Chairwoman Ronna McDaniel tweeting out the organization’s official statement.

"American elections should be decided by American citizens," McDaniel said in the release. "If Democrats can subvert elections this flagrantly in America’s largest city, they can do it anywhere."

Evidently they know where those votes are going. I think this calls for legislation when the GOP controls congress and the WH in 2024.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
8  seeder  Vic Eldred    2 years ago

FIw6qZUWQAIMkyh?format=png&name=small