╌>

2022 International Holocaust Remembrance Day Commemoration

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  snuffy  •  2 years ago  •  20 comments

By:   Snuffy

2022 International Holocaust Remembrance Day Commemoration
Let us vow to not forget the past but to learn and grow from it

It's been eighty years since the Holocaust began.  In that time we have seen too many people attempt to downplay or use it for political gain. Let us as a people never forget.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

Eighty years since the Holocaust began, violent antisemitism remains a threat—as we witnessed at a Texas synagogue this month. The lessons of this history have never been more relevant and will be the focus of this solemn event marking International Holocaust Remembrance Day—designated by the United Nations to be January 27, the anniversary of the liberation of Auschwitz-Birkenau. We hope you will join us as survivors reflect on and honor the lives of Europe’s Jews—who were targeted for annihilation—other victims of Nazi persecution, and individuals who chose to help.

Also on January 27, at 9:30 a.m. ET, join us for   The Difference between Life and Death: Choices That Saved a Young Boy . From the moment he was born in 1942 in Slovakia, Arye Ephrath was in danger. Join a live conversation and Q&A to learn how individuals sacrificed to help him survive the Holocaust. After the live broadcast, the recording will be available to watch on demand on the Museum’s   Facebook   and   YouTube   pages.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Snuffy
Professor Participates
1  seeder  Snuffy    2 years ago

Please no politics...  

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
2  Buzz of the Orient    2 years ago

If anyone is planning to watch a movie tonight, this list of 10 Holocaust movies would be good ones from which to chose.  Among others it includes Schindler's List, Sophie's Choice, The Boy in Striped Pajamas, The Pianist, Life is Beautiful.  LINK ->  

And whether or not you watch a movie, at least light a candle.  

OIP-C.kGYcqXQdYppYlnCspP1X2gHaDH?pid=ImgDet&rs=1

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
2.1  Trout Giggles  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @2    2 years ago

I've seen most of those movies. The Boy in the Striped Pajamas had an ending I did not see coming

Dismayed Patriot
Professor Quiet
2.3  Dismayed Patriot  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @2    2 years ago

This is a documentary I would highly recommend.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
2.3.1  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Dismayed Patriot @2.3    2 years ago

I appreciate your thought, and if you were to convert it from a YouTube to an MP4 I would be able to watch it.

Dismayed Patriot
Professor Quiet
2.3.2  Dismayed Patriot  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @2.3.1    2 years ago

Not sure if this helps but here is the other link to the PBS website.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
2.3.3  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Dismayed Patriot @2.3.2    2 years ago

That opens the PBS Frontline website and I can see the pictures and read the text, but the videos don't open for me.  Thanks anyway. 

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
3  Trout Giggles    2 years ago

Thank-you for this seed, Snuffy. We must never forget

Kavika
Professor Principal
4  Kavika     2 years ago

Never forget.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
6  Buzz of the Orient    2 years ago

Nor should anyone forget, but unfortunately there are those who do, and those who even deny.   I'm concerned that their numbers will increase unless more is done to teach the children.

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
6.1  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @6    2 years ago

I once had a Holocaust survivor once tell me that to forget the Holocaust is to forget who we are as a species, where we have in the past and where we hope to go in the future. I have paraphrased a bit because this was a long time ago and don't remember the exact words, but this is pretty close.

Split Personality
Professor Guide
7  Split Personality    2 years ago

Never forget.

נוח על משכבך בשלום דוד הרב

Rest in peace Uncle Herb.

Krishna
Professor Expert
8  Krishna    2 years ago

For those who say "it can't happen here"--- he's a video of a pro-Nazi rally actually held in the U.S., not Germany!

The Nazi Rally in Madison Square Garden

One of the comments on the video:

A man is seen rushing the stage was Isadore Greenbaum, a 26-year-old Jewish plumber’s helper from Brooklyn. Greenbaum, who had sneaked into the rally, charged at Kuhn, yelling “Down with Hitler!” After being dragged off the stage by the police, Greenbaum was fined $25 for disorderly conduct.

The New York Times reported the young man’s exchange with the judge at his sentencing: “I went down to the Garden without any intention of interrupting,” Greenbaum said, “but being that they talked so much against my religion and there was so much persecution I lost my head and I felt it was my duty to talk.”

“Don’t you realize that innocent people might have been killed?” the judge asked.

“Do you realize that plenty of Jewish people might be killed with their persecution up there?” Greenbaum replied.

Two years later, when the United States had entered the war, Greenbaum enlisted in the U.S. Navy, first serving as deck engineer and later as chief petty officer. As for Kuhn, in December of that year he was arrested for embezzlement and deported.

Drakkonis
Professor Guide
9  Drakkonis    2 years ago

What happened to the Jews during the Holocaust was pretty bad. I understand why they want it remembered, especially considering their history. However, the remembrance sort of feels myopic, let's say. The number of people the Communists killed, the Ottoman Turks the Armenians and a list of other genocides should be remembered as well, I think. It sort of feels like the ghosts of these atrocities are asking, what about us? I think it would be better to have a day where we remember them all instead of remembering just one. Something that demonstrates the depths of the human potential of evil and how often it emerges. 

Sunshine
Professor Quiet
10  Sunshine    2 years ago

Read the The Tattoo Artist of Auschwitz.  

Tough read as most books on the Holocaust are but also an amazing story of strength and love.