╌>

Suspects sought after 2 killed in mass shooting at Pittsburgh Airbnb house party

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  perrie-halpern  •  2 years ago  •  11 comments

By:   Cristian Santana, Henry Austin and Doha Madani

Suspects sought after 2 killed in mass shooting at Pittsburgh Airbnb house party
Two young men were killed and at least nine others injured in a mass shooting early Sunday in Pittsburgh, police said.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

Two young men were killed and at least nine others injured in a mass shooting early Sunday in Pittsburgh, police said.

The shooting happened just after 12:30 a.m. during a party at a short-term rental property in the city's North Side, the Pittsburgh Bureau of Police said in a news release. Pittsburgh Police Chief Scott Schubert said multiple shooters were suspected due to different shell casings found at the scene, NBC affiliate WPXI reported.

The two people killed in the incident were juveniles and were not identified by police. Eight others were shot and five more sustained injuries not related to gunshots in the incident, according to police.

The party was attended by as many as 200 people, many of whom were underage, police added. A shotspotter, an automated detection system that alerts law enforcement to gunshots, prompted the initial police response.

pitt-37cx61.jpg

Officials investigating mass shooting at Pittsburgh party that left 2 dead, multiple injured

"As many as 50 rounds were fired inside, prompting some partygoers to jump out the windows, sustaining injuries such as broken bones and lacerations," police said. "Several more shots were fired outside the home."

As officers arrived at the scene, shots were heard "and several young people were observed fleeing the area on foot and by vehicle," police said.

Evidence was being processed at as many as eight separate crime scenes and detectives from the bureau's major crimes unit were speaking to witnesses and reviewing video footage, police added.

Airbnb condemned the shooting in a statement Sunday, offering the company's condolences to the families of the victims. The short-term rental business has a strict ban on parties, it said, and is taking action against the person who booked the space.

"The booking guest has been issued a lifetime ban from Airbnb and we will be considering all legal options to hold this person accountable," the company said.

Airbnb said it was working with authorities and "we hope the people responsible for this bloodshed will be found quickly."

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
1  Buzz of the Orient    2 years ago

My great-uncle used to work in my father's factory, and when I would work there during Siummer vacations I would hear him say every day "Another day, another dollar."  When I read the news these days on Microsoft Bing News and USA Today and npr, and take note of the gun violence reported every single day, it makes me think of my great-uncle. 

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
1.1  Vic Eldred  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @1    2 years ago

I knew others who used to say environment is everything. Normal "young people" don't use guns on one another. I'll add the photos when the guilty are captured.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
1.1.1  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Vic Eldred @1.1    2 years ago

If normal "young people" don't use guns on one another, then there seems to be too many "abnormal young people" around, don't you think?  What disturbs me even more is that the symptoms appear to have been leaking a lot into Canada lately.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
1.1.2  Vic Eldred  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @1.1.1    2 years ago
If normal "young people" don't use guns on one another, then there seems to be too many "abnormal young people" around, don't you think?

Far too many.

What disturbs me even more is that the symptoms appear to have been leaking a lot into Canada lately.

Really?

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
1.1.3  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Vic Eldred @1.1.2    2 years ago

I'm afraid so.  I check the CTV (Canada Television Network) news every day and I'm seeing a lot more reports about shootings than I remember from when I was stiil there.  There seems to be about one every couple of weeks or so now.  

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
1.1.4  Greg Jones  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @1.1.3    2 years ago

So what's your solution?

Hallux
PhD Principal
1.1.5  Hallux  replied to  Greg Jones @1.1.4    2 years ago

With a shared border of 5,525 miles and a gun ecstatic society to the south, there may not be a solution.

TTGA
Professor Silent
1.1.6  TTGA  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @1.1.1    2 years ago
If normal "young people" don't use guns on one another, then there seems to be too many "abnormal young people" around, don't you think? 

Quite right Buzz.  It is an "Abnormal Young People" problem (also abnormal older people).  It is not a gun problem.  The implements used are irrelevant.The problem is a lack of respect for human life in those  abnormal people.  Fix that and you remove the problem.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
1.1.7  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  TTGA @1.1.6    2 years ago

Good to see you on board, Rock.  Hope all is well.

Yes, guns are not a necessity for the purpose of killing and maiming others - bows and arrows, crossbows, garroting can also do the tirick, and  machetes, cleavers, knives, as well, although at least it is easier to defend oneself from them than from a gun.  But if guns are not a problem, then why aren't governments doing more to protect innocent people from "Abnormal Young People"?  Could it be because there is really no effective way to do so?  Is it because parents tend to be protective of their young ones no matter how dangerous their young ones are?  Or is it because of what a doctor who was a friend of my father once told him, which was that the only reason the insane are locked up and we're out here is because we're the majority. 

TTGA
Professor Silent
1.1.8  TTGA  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @1.1.7    2 years ago

Doing much better.  Mom/Grandma is getting more mobile.

Yes, guns are not a necessity for the purpose of killing and maiming others - bows and arrows, crossbows, garroting can also do the tirick, and  machetes, cleavers, knives, as well, although at least it is easier to defend oneself from them than from a gun. 

Millions more people have been killed with those weapons than with firearms.  It is NOT easier to defend yourself from those weapons, particularly if you are small or old, unless you have a gun.  If there were no guns, large muscular males who are willing to shed blood would rule over everyone else.  Who would stop them without being armed with a gun?

But if guns are not a problem, then why aren't governments doing more to protect innocent people from "Abnormal Young People"? 

Being abnormal is not necessarily a criminal act.  Don't know about China, but here and in Canada the government is not allowed to lock people up or kill them (the only real ways to protect the innocent from abnormal young people) unless it can be proven that such people have actually committed a crime.  The system is set up to restrict government far more than to restrict the right of individual people to be armed because government is a far more dangerous weapon  than any firearm ever made, no matter who is holding it.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
1.1.9  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  TTGA @1.1.8    2 years ago

In China gun violence isn't a problem since the only people who have guns are the military, special SWAT police (ordinary police do not carry guns), and money delivery van guards (bank guards do not have guns). 

From what you said, it seems to me that massive gun violence in America will NEVER be controlled.  I read yesterday that there have been 160 mass shootings in America so far in 2022.