╌>

Abbott's border policy cost the U.S. almost $9 billion in just 10 days

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  john-russell  •  2 years ago  •  95 comments

By:   YahooNews

Abbott's border policy cost the U.S. almost $9 billion in just 10 days
An analysis by the Perryman Group showed that the U.S. lost an estimated $8.97 billion in GDP due to delays at the border, while Texas alone lost $4.23 billion. Beto O'Rourke, the Democrat contesting Abbott's bid for a third term as governor, slammed Abbott for his costly gambit. "Abbott jacked up inflation, increased prices at our stores, hurt Texas businesses, killed jobs, and shut down billions of dollars in trade ... Abbott says this financial pain is necessary. I say electoral...

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

Republican Texas Gov. Greg Abbott's short-lived policy of requiring state troopers to conduct secondary inspections of trucks crossing into Texas from Mexico cost the United States almost $9 billion in just 10 days, Axios reported Tuesday.

The policy, which Abbott enacted on April 6, snarled truck traffic at the border and led to a protest by Mexican truckers that stopped trade at some major crossings. On April 15, Abbott ended the double inspections, for which he'd received withering criticism from both sides of the border and the aisle, after striking deals with the governors of the four Mexican states that border Texas.

Per Axios, Abbott implemented the policy "in response to the Biden administration's announcement that it would lift Title 42," a Trump-era public health policy that denied migrants entry into the United States.

An analysis by the Perryman Group showed that the U.S. lost an estimated $8.97 billion in GDP due to delays at the border, while Texas alone lost $4.23 billion.

Beto O'Rourke, the Democrat contesting Abbott's bid for a third term as governor, slammed Abbott for his costly gambit. "Abbott jacked up inflation, increased prices at our stores, hurt Texas businesses, killed jobs, and shut down billions of dollars in trade ... Abbott says this financial pain is necessary. I say electoral consequences are necessary," he tweeted Tuesday.

Abbott jacked up inflation, increased prices at our stores, hurt Texas businesses, killed jobs, and shut down billions of dollars in trade — all for a little attention from Tucker Carlson.
Abbott says this financial pain is necessary. I say electoral consequences are necessary.

— Beto O'Rourke (@BetoORourke) April 19, 2022

The Cook Political Report rates the Texas governor race as "Likely R."

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1  seeder  JohnRussell    2 years ago

In order to run for president in 2024 he has to prove he can "own the libs". jrSmiley_10_smiley_image.gif

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
1.1  Greg Jones  replied to  JohnRussell @1    2 years ago

The inspections have stopped. So what's the  problem? And please tell us why Title 42 should be lifted now.

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
1.1.1  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  Greg Jones @1.1    2 years ago

And notice all of the articles about this are basing it on "estimated" numbers. 

Right Down the Center
Senior Guide
1.1.3  Right Down the Center  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @1.1.1    2 years ago
"estimated" numbers

Translation...pulled numbers out of their collective asses.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.2  Texan1211  replied to  JohnRussell @1    2 years ago

NO ONE wants to own a lib!

WTH would we DO with them?

Free-range libs are so much more fun!

Right Down the Center
Senior Guide
1.2.1  Right Down the Center  replied to  Texan1211 @1.2    2 years ago

jrSmiley_10_smiley_image.gif

Tessylo
Professor Principal
2  Tessylo    2 years ago

Gee, I thought this was all the fault of President Biden?

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
2.1  Greg Jones  replied to  Tessylo @2    2 years ago

It totally is Biden's fault.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
2.2  Trout Giggles  replied to  Tessylo @2    2 years ago

I don't think people realize how much trade we do with Mexico. So much of our produce during non-growing seasons come from there or further south. People don't honestly believe strawberries grow in February do they?

Snuffy
Professor Participates
2.2.1  Snuffy  replied to  Trout Giggles @2.2    2 years ago

I believe that Abbott's actions were completely a "thumb in the eye" aimed at President Biden.  Once it was pointed out to him just how much money this was costing Texas and how much food was being lost for sitting in trucks he quickly ended the action.  Abbott probably does have future plans in politics beyond Texas and realized this would not be well remembered.  

His actions of surging law enforcement to the border and using shipping containers to build up a wall will be remembered as a positive action, but this one not so much.  Hopefully he remembers that just having an opposite reaction to the other political side is not always the better policy.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
2.2.2  Tessylo  replied to  Trout Giggles @2.2    2 years ago

And thanks to Abbott how much of that was lost/destroyed?  Didn't they say in the billions?

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
2.2.3  Jack_TX  replied to  Trout Giggles @2.2    2 years ago
People don't honestly believe strawberries grow in February do they?

You're asking whether Americans ... a group of people who have watched "The Bachelor" for 26 seasons...  understand that strawberries have a growing season.  

You presume they understand that strawberries are grown and not produced in a factory. 

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
2.2.4  Trout Giggles  replied to  Jack_TX @2.2.3    2 years ago

I also know that brown cows don't produce chocolate milk

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
2.2.5  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  Trout Giggles @2.2.4    2 years ago

jrSmiley_10_smiley_image.gif

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
2.2.6  Trout Giggles  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @2.2.5    2 years ago

I could be wrong....

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
2.2.7  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  Snuffy @2.2.1    2 years ago

Greg Abbott has zero chance of ever being elected president of the United States, no matter how deluded about it he may be. Millions of people in his home state think he is a complete fool. There is no way he can go national and be taken seriously. 

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
2.2.8  Jack_TX  replied to  Trout Giggles @2.2.4    2 years ago
I also know that brown cows don't produce chocolate milk

Well now you're just showing off.....

Snuffy
Professor Participates
2.2.9  Snuffy  replied to  JohnRussell @2.2.7    2 years ago

I wouldn't say zero chance, it's hard to predict the future.  But there are several Republicans ahead of him in the list that would be better to the office than him.  

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
2.3  Ozzwald  replied to  Tessylo @2    2 years ago

Don't know if you've ever watched Jordan Klepper, but during interviews that he has conducted at Trump rallies, right wingers have blamed Obama for 9/11 and Biden for the Ukraine war.  One Trumpest even blamed Biden for rushing through the COVID vaccine despite the fact it was developed during the Trump administration.  The expression on his face was golden when that was pointed out.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
2.3.1  Tessylo  replied to  Ozzwald @2.3    2 years ago

Of course - I love Trevor and Jordan.  I love his interviews with the maga morons.  Whenever Jordan catches these morons in their bullshit lies and conspiracy theories - it's priceless!

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
2.3.2  Ozzwald  replied to  Tessylo @2.3.1    2 years ago

Whenever Jordan catches these morons in their bullshit lies and conspiracy theories - it's priceless!

One of my all time favorites was the guy complaining that the democrats don't respect women.  Then Klepper pointed out the shirt he was wearing which said "Trump that bitch", on one side.  and a Hillary sexual reference on the other.  (don't remember the exact phrase, so I'm not going to try and butcher it now)

Or when he was asking about Trump's infamous "grab her by the pussy" line.  Everyone asked said that it was just locker room talk and all guys did it.

Klepper:

Does your father say things like that? ..............No.

Does your husband say things like that? ..........No.

Does your pastor say things like that? .............No.

Would you allow your son to say things like that? .... Absolutely not!

So who do you know that does say things like that? .......... Trump.

Right Down the Center
Senior Guide
2.4  Right Down the Center  replied to  Tessylo @2    2 years ago

Congratulations, you are correct.  

Nerm_L
Professor Expert
3  Nerm_L    2 years ago

That's odd.  Imports lowers the GDP. 

So, stopping imports should have increased GDP.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
3.1  Tessylo  replied to  Nerm_L @3    2 years ago

What are you talking about????????????

Nerm_L
Professor Expert
3.1.1  Nerm_L  replied to  Tessylo @3.1    2 years ago

Economics.  Apparently whoever is claiming that Abbot's increased inspections lowered GDP doesn't understand economics.  And the article has been written for an a audience that doesn't understand economics, too.

The flow of trucks carrying imports from Mexico into the United States lowers GDP.  That's how the economics really works.

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
3.1.2  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  Tessylo @3.1    2 years ago

GDP = Gross DOMESTIC Product. See now what he is talking about?

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
3.1.3  Jeremy Retired in NC  replied to  Tessylo @3.1    2 years ago

Read the link Nerm provided.  You may just learn something.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
3.1.4  Tessylo  replied to  Jeremy Retired in NC @3.1.3    2 years ago

[deleted]

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
3.1.5  Greg Jones  replied to  Tessylo @3.1.4    2 years ago

[deleted]

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
3.1.6  Jeremy Retired in NC  replied to  Tessylo @3.1.4    2 years ago

[deleted]

Texan1211
Professor Principal
3.1.7  Texan1211  replied to  Tessylo @3.1.4    2 years ago
That's not possible to learn anything from Nerm or you or JJ.

Really?

SOME folks can read and learn from anyone no matter their own personal agendas.

It does take a little time to read the things they write and requires a somewhat open mind, however.

Obviously, not everyone can do it.

Snuffy
Professor Participates
3.1.8  Snuffy  replied to  Texan1211 @3.1.7    2 years ago

I'm still the optimist.  I do believe that everybody CAN do it,  it's just that there are some who REFUSE to have an open mind.  There's just no possibility of conversation and learning from such a closed mind.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
3.1.9  Texan1211  replied to  Snuffy @3.1.8    2 years ago

I am constantly amused by the "Nuh-uh" posts, devoid of any facts or reason.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
3.1.10  Tessylo  replied to  Nerm_L @3.1.1    2 years ago

Thanks to Abbott's fuck up you mean?

Losing 9 billion dollars worth of goods is no big deal then?

Hallux
PhD Principal
3.1.11  Hallux  replied to  Nerm_L @3.1.1    2 years ago
The flow of trucks carrying imports from Mexico into the United States lowers GDP.  That's how the economics really works.

Not since NAFTA or as it is now known up her as CAMUS, the GDPs of the 3 nations are intertwined. Canadians own Mexican and US companies, Mexicans own Canadian and US companies and the US owns Canadian and Mexican companies.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
3.1.12  Tessylo  replied to  Nerm_L @3.1.1    2 years ago

So there truly was nothing to learn from your Encyclopedia Brittanica link because that's not the way things work now, per Hallux at 3.1.11.

Take that scoffers!

Nerm_L
Professor Expert
3.1.13  Nerm_L  replied to  Tessylo @3.1.10    2 years ago
Losing 9 billion dollars worth of goods is no big deal then?

The goods weren't lost.  The goods were delayed.

But that doesn't change the fact that goods imported into the United States negatively impact GDP.

JBB
Professor Principal
3.1.14  JBB  replied to  Nerm_L @3.1.13    2 years ago

Yes, and goods exported are all pluses for GDP. That's the thing about trade. It goes both ways or without partners everyone will lose!

Tessylo
Professor Principal
3.1.15  Tessylo  replied to  Nerm_L @3.1.13    2 years ago

"The goods weren't lost.  The goods were delayed."

So all those foods that were rotted thanks to Abbott's fuck up weren't lost?  So a better word would actually be destroyed, not delayed.

Nerm_L
Professor Expert
3.1.16  Nerm_L  replied to  Hallux @3.1.11    2 years ago
Not since NAFTA or as it is now known up her as CAMUS, the GDPs of the 3 nations are intertwined. Canadians own Mexican and US companies, Mexicans own Canadian and US companies and the US owns Canadian and Mexican companies.

Is the seed article discussing CAMUS GDP?  If so, the argument against Abbot becomes meaningless.

IMO Canada and Mexico are not willing to cede their national sovereignty to the United States.  However, that does seem to be a de facto requirement of CAMUS.

Hallux
PhD Principal
3.1.17  Hallux  replied to  Nerm_L @3.1.16    2 years ago

Abbott's toying with the flow of goods was meaningless other than as a gimmick to rile up support, one that he did not need.

It is a "de facto requirement of CAMUS" to cede Canadian and Mexican national sovereignty to the US? Do tell.

Nerm_L
Professor Expert
3.1.18  Nerm_L  replied to  JBB @3.1.14    2 years ago
Yes, and goods exported are all pluses for GDP. That's the thing about trade. It goes both ways or without partners everyone will lose!

Did Abbot's order delay trucks loaded with exports leaving the United States?

Nerm_L
Professor Expert
3.1.19  Nerm_L  replied to  Tessylo @3.1.15    2 years ago
So all those foods that were rotted thanks to Abbott's fuck up weren't lost?  So a better word would actually be destroyed, not delayed.

Are you aware of the quality of foodstuffs used to manufacture processed foods?

Nerm_L
Professor Expert
3.1.20  Nerm_L  replied to  Hallux @3.1.17    2 years ago
Abbott's toying with the flow of goods was meaningless other than as a gimmick to rile up support, one that he did not need.

That only states the obvious since Abbot already told us the purpose of the Texas safety inspections.  Abbot already told us it was a political gimmick. 

It is a "de factorequirement of CAMUS" to cede Canadian and Mexican national sovereignty to the US? Do tell.

The United States is the market for Mexican and Canadian goods under CAMUS.  The United States really has installed inspectors in Mexican and Canadian production facilities.  CAMUS allows the United States to impose regulatory authority onto Mexico and Canada.

Hallux
PhD Principal
3.1.21  Hallux  replied to  Nerm_L @3.1.20    2 years ago
"The United States is the market for Mexican and Canadian goods under CAMUS."

All 3 are the market for each other's goods.

"The United States really has installed inspectors in Mexican and Canadian production facilities.  CAMUS allows the United States to impose regulatory authority onto Mexico and Canada."

Unless you can link to something, I suspect the same goes for all parties.

I would do the research but I'm busy reading 'The Dawn of Everything - A New History of Humanity'.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
3.1.22  Texan1211  replied to  Tessylo @3.1.15    2 years ago

If someone thinks that a delay of 5-30 HOURS caused billions of dollars of produce to rot, then those people don't have a clue about food other than to shove it in their mouths.

Nerm_L
Professor Expert
3.1.23  Nerm_L  replied to  Hallux @3.1.21    2 years ago
Unless you can link to something, I suspect the same goes for all parties.

We know the United States has inspectors in Mexico.    And those US inspectors are imposing US regulations onto Mexican national sovereignty.

Mexico and/or Canada maintaining inspectors in the United States would be imposing their regulatory authority onto US national sovereignty in the same manner.  Whether or not the imposition is reciprocal, that means that CAMUS subordinates national sovereignty as a de facto requirement.

I would do the research but I'm busy reading 'The Dawn of Everything - A New History of Humanity'.

I'm currently reading ' Dark Sun ' by Richard Rhodes.  It's a bit old but does explain where the idea of internationalism came from and the attempted power grab by scientists to become a global authority over national sovereign interests.

Dismayed Patriot
Professor Quiet
3.1.24  Dismayed Patriot  replied to  Nerm_L @3.1.1    2 years ago

So when a truck of produce is imported to the US and a restaurant here takes that, let's say $10,000 worth of foods and then makes delicious foods they sell at their restaurant where they sell that transformed food into $50,000 did the US GDP increase or decrease?

GDP: noun - the total value of goods produced and services provided in a country during one year.

GDP is the total of all value added created in an economy. The value added means the value of goods and services that have been produced minus the value of the goods and services needed to produce them, the so called intermediate consumption.

Nerm_L
Professor Expert
3.1.25  Nerm_L  replied to  Dismayed Patriot @3.1.24    2 years ago
GDP is the total of all value added created in an economy. The value added means the value of goods and services that have been produced minus the value of the goods and services needed to produce them, the so called intermediate consumption

Consumers pay for all the value created in an economy.  And the added value consists of the price consumers pay minus the cost to create what the consumers are paying for.

Imports are only a cost.  Imports do not add value.  

If the restaurant in your example only uses domestically produced foods then the economy experiences the benefit of value added by growing the foods plus the value added by processing the food into meals. 

If the restaurant is using imported foods then the only value added comes from processing the foods into meals; the economy receives no added value from growing foods domestically.

The value added by the restaurant doesn't change because of the source of foods.  But importing foods means the economy misses out on the value added by domestically growing foods.  The value added to the economy is smaller because we are importing foods rather than domestically producing foods.

SteevieGee
Professor Silent
3.2  SteevieGee  replied to  Nerm_L @3    2 years ago

Say a grocery chain orders 10 truckloads of avocados from Mexico and they all rot in the trucks because of Abbott's policy.  They're expecting to make $5,000 profit from each truckload.  That $50,000 would be part of our GDP but isn't now because Abbott decided to punish the grocers in his own state.

From your link:

GDP = Consumption + Investment + Government Spending + Net Exports or more succinctly as GDP = C + I + G + NX where consumption (C) represents private-consumption expenditures by households and nonprofit organizations, investment (I) refers to business expenditures by businesses and home purchases by households, government spending (G) denotes expenditures on goods and services by the government, and net exports (NX) represents a nation’s exports minus its imports.

I believe this falls under consumption.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
3.2.1  Texan1211  replied to  SteevieGee @3.2    2 years ago
Say a grocery chain orders 10 truckloads of avocados from Mexico and they all rot in the trucks because of Abbott's policy.  They're expecting to make $5,000 profit from each truckload.  That $50,000 would be part of our GDP but isn't now because Abbott decided to punish the grocers in his own state.

The Avocado Ban Shows the High Cost of Nontariff Protectionism – Futures Lab Research

Nerm_L
Professor Expert
3.2.2  Nerm_L  replied to  SteevieGee @3.2    2 years ago
I believe this falls under consumption.

Imports cancels out consumption.  Using the formula (as you correctly cited) the terms would cancel each other, in this manner:  consumption (of imports) - imports.

Consumers do pay for everything.  So, what consumers pay does provide profits.  And the profit portion of consumption would add to GDP.  But profits do not benefit consumers.

SteevieGee
Professor Silent
3.2.3  SteevieGee  replied to  Nerm_L @3.2.2    2 years ago

Imports do not cancel out the profit to American companies from the sale of the imports.  It's the profit that's part of our GDP.

Nerm_L
Professor Expert
3.2.4  Nerm_L  replied to  SteevieGee @3.2.3    2 years ago
Imports do not cancel out the profit to American companies from the sale of the imports.  It's the profit that's part of our GDP.

Yep, that's what I said.  Consumers are providing the money for profits and that portion of consumption adds to the GDP.

Kinda explains why the rich get richer, doesn't it?

Tessylo
Professor Principal
3.2.5  Tessylo  replied to  SteevieGee @3.2.3    2 years ago

Pay attention to Nerm, you might learn something.

Or not.  

SteevieGee
Professor Silent
3.2.6  SteevieGee  replied to  Texan1211 @3.2.1    2 years ago

The avocado ban happened because of threats to our USDA inspectors in Mexico.  No inspections, no avocados.  It was a good thing for Americans and lasted less than a week if I recall it correctly.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
3.2.7  Texan1211  replied to  SteevieGee @3.2.6    2 years ago

You do know that Mexico is not allowed to export avocados currently to America, right?

SteevieGee
Professor Silent
3.2.8  SteevieGee  replied to  Texan1211 @3.2.7    2 years ago

Not since April 14.  I read the article you linked Texan. This article that we're commenting on though, isn't about avocados.  I've used avocados as an example only.

SteevieGee
Professor Silent
3.2.9  SteevieGee  replied to  Nerm_L @3.2.4    2 years ago
Yep, that's what I said.  Consumers are providing the money for profits and that portion of consumption adds to the GDP.

Kinda left that part out of comment #3 though didn't you.

Nerm_L
Professor Expert
3.2.10  Nerm_L  replied to  SteevieGee @3.2.9    2 years ago
Kinda left that part out of comment #3 though didn't you.

Did you miss the link in @3 ?

(It's a bit meta but the site coders (TiG if I recall correctly) invested a lot of effort providing that feature.  And it works really well.  I like it, anyway.)

freepress
Freshman Silent
4  freepress    2 years ago

He should've been removed from office and after he failed his state with the heating crisis costing hundreds of lives and now this absolute atrocity based on spite and political posturing you would think the people would ask for real accountability. Wasting billions on a stunt, hurting the farmers who won't get paid for spoiled goods, truckers that won't get paid because there is nothing to deliver, the American people who will pay higher prices for no other reason than the spiteful petty actions of a governor pulling a political stunt.

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
4.1  Greg Jones  replied to  freepress @4    2 years ago

Isn't lifting Title 42 a political stunt?

Snuffy
Professor Participates
4.1.1  Snuffy  replied to  Greg Jones @4.1    2 years ago
Isn't lifting Title 42 a political stunt?

Of course it is.  A political stunt to remove the name of Trump from every book and tablet, stricken from all pylons and obelisks, stricken from evry monument of America.

We're just coming out of the Easter Holiday and President Biden must have recently watched The 10 Commandments.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
4.1.2  Tessylo  replied to  Snuffy @4.1.1    2 years ago

WTF?

jrSmiley_80_smiley_image.gif

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
4.1.3  Trout Giggles  replied to  Snuffy @4.1.1    2 years ago
to remove the name of Trump from every book and tablet, stricken from all pylons and obelisks, stricken from evry monument of America.

Love the movie reference.

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
5  Jeremy Retired in NC    2 years ago

So the left would rather have unsafe Commercial vehicles driving our roads.  

Imagine more drivers like Rogel Aguilera-Mederos who killed 4 people because his truck did not meet FMCSA Standards all over the country.

Kavika
Professor Principal
5.1  Kavika   replied to  Jeremy Retired in NC @5    2 years ago
So the left would rather have unsafe Commercial vehicles driving our roads.  

Not at all.

Imagine more drivers like Rogel Aguilera-Mederos who killed 4 people because his truck did not meet FMCSA Standards all over the country.

The truck/company nor the driver was from Mexico. He is a legal Cuban Immigrant and working for a US company based out of Houston TX. The company, Castellano 03 Trucking LLC has a history of violations. In turn, the ownership of Castellano is currently the owner of Volt Trucking which has a history of violations, including braking violations. The real question is why were these companies even allowed to operate with this history. 

According to FMCSA’s Safety Measurement System (SMS), Castellano 03 Trucking has received 23 vehicle maintenance violations with 10 of those involving brake issues.

Castellano has ceased operations and the same ownerships has opened another trucking company under the name of Volt Trucking which also has a record of poor maintenance. 

Sadly, these fly-by-night trucking operations are prolific throughout the US.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
5.1.1  Tessylo  replied to  Kavika @5.1    2 years ago

So Abbott's fuck up was just a political stunt to 'own the libs' then.

Thanks Kavika for the facts that were so sorely lacking from Jeremy.

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
5.1.2  Jeremy Retired in NC  replied to  Kavika @5.1    2 years ago
these fly-by-night trucking operations are prolific throughout the US

And that is my whole point.  

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
5.1.3  Trout Giggles  replied to  Jeremy Retired in NC @5.1.2    2 years ago

But these are companies based in the US. You really haven't proven your original point

Tessylo
Professor Principal
5.1.4  Tessylo  replied to  Trout Giggles @5.1.3    2 years ago

[deleted]

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
5.1.5  Jeremy Retired in NC  replied to  Trout Giggles @5.1.3    2 years ago

I used Rogel Aguilera-Mederos as an example as to WHY the inspections are needed.  

Sunday, the agency had inspected 2,685 commercial vehicles at select entry ports along the Texas-Mexico border and placed 646 of them out of service for "serious safety violations" which include defective brakes, tires and lighting, it said.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
5.1.6  Trout Giggles  replied to  Jeremy Retired in NC @5.1.5    2 years ago

I guess you didn't read Kavika's comment very well did you?

Tessylo
Professor Principal
5.1.7  Tessylo  replied to  Trout Giggles @5.1.6    2 years ago

JFC - it's like all evidence to the contrary is flat out ignored and folks continue to spout their nonsense.  

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
5.1.8  Jeremy Retired in NC  replied to  Trout Giggles @5.1.6    2 years ago

I guess you missed where I stated:

I used Rogel Aguilera-Mederos as an example as to WHY the inspections are needed. 

Tessylo
Professor Principal
5.1.9  Tessylo  replied to  Jeremy Retired in NC @5.1.8    2 years ago

We didn't miss anything.  You did.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
5.1.10  Trout Giggles  replied to  Jeremy Retired in NC @5.1.8    2 years ago

But he is not from Mexico. As Kavika clearly stated...he is a legal CUBAN immigrant.

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
5.1.11  Jeremy Retired in NC  replied to  Trout Giggles @5.1.10    2 years ago

I used Rogel Aguilera-Mederos as an example as to WHY the inspections are needed

Did you miss that part?  I never said he was from Mexico.  That bit of misinformation is ALL ON YOU.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
5.1.12  Trout Giggles  replied to  Jeremy Retired in NC @5.1.11    2 years ago
So the left would rather have unsafe Commercial vehicles driving our roads.   Imagine more drivers like Rogel Aguilera-Mederos who killed 4 people because his truck did not meet FMCSA Standards all over the country.

That was your comment in a seed about the Texas Governor and his bullshit border policy. What country borders Texas?

You messed up. You had your readers believing that Mr Aquilera-Mederos was from Mexico. You should have clarified from the beginning. I think most would have gone on assuming that YOU meant Mederos was from Mexico until Kavika posted the real truth.

And you don't need to write in large, bold letters. I can read just fine. And that kind of print is rude, but I don't expect much more out of you than rudeness

Tessylo
Professor Principal
5.1.13  Tessylo  replied to  Trout Giggles @5.1.12    2 years ago

When proven wrong, some folks just dig in their heels, and keep digging!

jrSmiley_76_smiley_image.gif

Kavika
Professor Principal
5.1.14  Kavika   replied to  Jeremy Retired in NC @5.1.11    2 years ago

I don't see anyone that disagrees that inspections are needed but the article was about Mexican truckers at the border. 

Interestingly enough in a three-year study done by FMCSA it showed that Mexican truckers have an equal or better safety record than US or Canadian drivers. 

Here is a whole history of the NAFTA requirement being instituted, and the battles that were fought over it. 

BTW, I'm an advocate for inspections and follow-up/through by the states and the FMCSA which in the Castellano 03/Volt case seems to be quite lacking. 

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
5.1.15  Jeremy Retired in NC  replied to  Trout Giggles @5.1.12    2 years ago

You messed up.  You had your readers believing that Mr Aquilera-Mederos was from Mexico.

Nice try. Re-read my comment.  Did I ANYWHERE in that comment state Rogel Aguilera-Mederos' nationality?  No.  You and the rest of the comprehension deficient group ASSUMED what I was talking about.  That's not my problem.  

And you don't need to write in large, bold letters.

It served it purpose.  

And that kind of print is rude,

I really don't care if you think it's rude.  I'm not here to pander to those who jump to such moronic assumptions.  If you don't understand something ask questions.  People will think higher of you.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
5.1.16  Trout Giggles  impassed  Jeremy Retired in NC @5.1.15    2 years ago

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
5.1.17  Jeremy Retired in NC  replied to  Kavika @5.1.14    2 years ago
I don't see anyone that disagrees that inspections are needed but the article was about Mexican truckers at the border. 

For me the whole premise of this seed is about that.  Gov. Abbott put the inspections in place and truckers on the Mexico side of the border started protesting by blocking the bridge.  It didn't start until those inspections started and drivers were turned around.  

By no means am I saying drivers from Mexico are the bottom feeders of the trucking industry.  With the link you gave and a few other sites use for my job, they all indicate they are on par with the US and many other countries (far exceeding in many areas).  

BTW, I'm an advocate for inspections and follow-up/through by the states and the FMCSA which in the Castellano 03/Volt case seems to be quite lacking.

I'm with you on this.  There were failures all over the place in that situation.  From the Driver the whole way up to the FMCSA.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
5.1.18  Tessylo  replied to  Jeremy Retired in NC @5.1.15    2 years ago

We already think highly of TG.

You, however . . . . . . 

Ronin2
Professor Quiet
6  Ronin2    2 years ago

If Brandon would do his damn job and secure our borders; then governors like Abbott wouldn't have to. 

after striking deals with the governors of the four Mexican states that border Texas.

So Abbott accomplished what Brandon couldn't. 

Also anyone that thinks 4 days of Abbott's inspections has more affect on inflation than 2 years of Brandon the human fuck up machine's policies; doesn't know shit about how inflation works. 

Democrats talking points on inflation.

• Blame Putin
  • Blame Republicans
  • If questioned blame Putin again and call those questioning traitors

Here is reality.

Key Facts:
  • Prior to the pandemic, U.S. core inflation was consistently about 1 percentage point above OECD nations. 
  • The U.S. core inflation rate is above 4 percent when the OECD’s rate is around 2.5 percent.
  • Despite the end of the pandemic, the Biden Administration continued to send monthly “stimulus” checks and unemployment bonuses, which increased inflation by about 3 percentage points by the fourth quarter of 2021.
  • Former Obama-Biden economic adviser Larry Summers himself warned that President Biden’s so-called “stimulus” would trigger inflation.
  • But President Biden and Democrats have ignored inflation , denied it, dismissed it as “transitory,” and are even trying to pass the blame for rising costs onto American businesses and industries like meatpackers and energy suppliers .
  • A chart from TheRightFacts.org using Consumer Price Index (CPI) data from the Bureau of Labor Statistics shows that inflation has increased since the day President Biden took office in January 2021, and began its rise to the fastest rate in 40 years the month directly after Democrats rammed through their partisan $1.9 trillion bill (March 2021).
Screen-Shot-2022-02-23-at-4.48.23-PM-1024x620.pnghttps://gop-waysandmeans.house.gov/wp-content/uploads/2022/02/Screen-Shot-2022-02-23-at-4.48.23-PM-300x182.png 300w, 768w, 784w, 1156w" sizes="(max-width: 1024px) 100vw, 1024px" >

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
6.1  Ozzwald  replied to  Ronin2 @6    2 years ago
So Abbott accomplished what Brandon couldn't.

Cost us almost 9 billion dollars and blocked ingress of necessary supplies?  Yes he did!

Texan1211
Professor Principal
6.1.1  Texan1211  replied to  Ozzwald @6.1    2 years ago

Funny thing is, had the Biden Administration and his esteemed Border Czar HAD a fucking plan and implemented it, Abbott would have done nothing.

Pray tell, outline the Border Czar's PLAN for immigration.

I defy you to actually be able to do it.

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
6.1.2  Jeremy Retired in NC  replied to  Ozzwald @6.1    2 years ago
Cost us almost 9 billion dollars and blocked ingress of necessary supplies?

You're ignoring that the blockage was on the Mexico side of the border.  Not the US. 

Mexican truck drivers block major US-Mexico point of entry in protest of Texas border inspections

But lets keep running with your misinformation.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
6.1.3  Texan1211  replied to  Jeremy Retired in NC @6.1.2    2 years ago

It has also been widely reported that Abbott's decision resulted in an average of about a 5 hours delay.

How does 5 hours cost billions?????

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
6.1.4  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  Texan1211 @6.1.3    2 years ago

No shit and if they aren't hauling produce in a reefer rig, I ain't buying that bacteria ridden crap

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
6.1.5  Jeremy Retired in NC  replied to  Texan1211 @6.1.3    2 years ago
How does 5 hours cost billions?????

Liberal math?  You know many of these people are not known for their mental abilities.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
6.1.6  Tessylo  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @6.1.4    2 years ago

So somewhere it was said that it was a delay of 5-30 hours, so the time has changed already, how long these truckers were delayed.  If those refrigerated trucks run out of gas while they're stalled at the border thanks to Abbott's fuck up, wouldn't the food then spoil?  

Texan1211
Professor Principal
6.1.7  Texan1211  replied to  Tessylo @6.1.6    2 years ago

Please supply all the proof you have of trucks running out of fuel.

I would love to see something, anything, substantive you may actually be able to base your claims on.

Ender
Professor Principal
6.2  Ender  replied to  Ronin2 @6    2 years ago

I notice this conveniently leaves out trumps stimulus. relief bill.