╌>

Trump Gets His Fix in Michigan

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  john-russell  •  2 years ago  •  41 comments

By:   Amanda Carpenter (The Bulwark)

Trump Gets His Fix in Michigan
Election deniers win GOP endorsement for attorney general and secretary of state.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

Election deniers win GOP endorsement for attorney general and secretary of state. by Amanda Carpenter April 25, 2022 5:30 am Former President Donald Trump endorses Matthew DePerno (R), who is running for the Michigan Republican party's nomination for state attorney general, during a rally on April 02, 2022 near Washington, Michigan. Trump is in Michigan to promote his America First agenda and promote several Republican candidates running for office. (Bulwark composite / Photos by Scott Olson/Getty Images) Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare via emailPrint

If this is the last time you ever hear the names Matt DePerno and Kristina Karamo, you'll be lucky. They are the conspiracy-driven Trump-picked candidates for Michigan attorney general and secretary of state that the state GOP endorsed as candidates in its convention on Saturday.

Reasonable people would have to hope DePerno and Karamo get blown out in the general election and are never heard from again. Their outlandish insistence that the 2020 election was stolen from Trump has led toconsiderable fractureswithin the Michigan Republican Party. As such, they're viewed as longshots who will be unable to unite the party, win over independents, and beat the incumbent Democrats, Attorney General Dana Nessel and Secretary of State Jocelyn Benson.

That said, DePerno and Karamo were never really considered serious candidates, yet they managed to clinch their races, thanks to Trump's backing. And in a midterm year in which Democrats are struggling nationally, it would be unwise to write off any of these races.

To understand what DePerno and Karamo victories would mean, all one has to do is imagine what would have happened in 2020 if Sidney "Kraken" Powell had been in charge of Michigan's elections. Except, well, Powell has more on-the-job experience than either of these two.

Both DePerno and Karamo are relative political newcomers; their primary qualifications are their total commitment to Trump's election lies. They became "Stop the Steal" stars in the contentious period after November 3, 2020, making a name for themselves in MAGA circles.

And Michigan's nominating rules benefit those who are most popular with the most partisan of party activists. Unlike in most other states, Michigan Republicans choose their candidates for down-ballot races through an "endorsement convention" for party delegates rather than a primary election for voters. It was that endorsement convention that was held in Grand Rapids this weekend. Pending any major event, DePerno and Karamo will receive the party's formal nominations in August.

Matt DePerno is a Kalamazoo tax lawyer who became an election-fraud activist in 2020. At the time, he was hardly a well-known figure in state politics; he had represented a politician who faced criminal charges for attempting to cover up an extramarital affair that came to light in 2015, but aside from that didn't make headlines.

That changed when DePerno promoted allegations that Dominion Voting Systems machines in Antrim County were supposedly "corrupted." That's not what happened; in fact, simple human error resulted in the release of mistaken 2020 election results for the county, a problem that was announced by the morning of November 4 and rectified by November 6. But DePerno filed lawsuits based on his bogus stolen-election claims, and to this day still promotes the claims on his website:

We have the proof that voting machines used in the 2020 elections can be compromised and votes easily transferred from one candidate to another. We can flip votes at the tabulator/precinct level. We can flip votes at the county level. The American people are losing their voice for the future of our democracy. We must fight together for free and fair elections.

DePerno's pushing these sorts of election lies prompted Michigan Republicans leading the state senate's oversight committee to issue a report debunking such allegations last June. The report dismantled DePerno's claims and stated:

The Committee closely followed Mr. DePerno's efforts and can confidently conclude they are demonstrably false and based on misleading information and illogical conclusions.

Of course, DePerno's willingness to continue his court battles, despite being continually proven false, is exactly what Trump liked in him. A Michigan appeals court decisivelyrejected another one of his lawsuits last Thursday, and DePerno said he planned to take his case to the Michigan Supreme Court.

DePerno has also promised that if elected, he will prosecute and imprison Nessel, the state's sitting AG.

Marxist AG Nessel said "if I am replaced by Matthew DePerno, democracy falls in Michigan. Not maybe. Not possibly. Certainly." Nessel is afraid bc when I'm elected, she'll go from wearing business suits to orange jumpsuits!
TAP HERE to get rid of Nessel! https://t.co/qkIw1gjkaapic.twitter.com/wP3jzypEi5

— Matthew S. DePerno, Esq. (@mdeperno) January 6, 2022

No surprise that Mike Lindell appeared alongside DePerno to promote him on Saturday:

AG candidate Matt DePerno gets big applause on stage with Mike Lindell at Michigan GOP endorsement convention. pic.twitter.com/pSlrh2cbdE
— Jonathan Oosting (@jonathanoosting) April 23, 2022

Kristina Karamo, a community college instructor with a master's degree in Christian apologetics, first blipped on MAGA radar screens in 2020 when, while serving as a volunteer "poll challenger," she claimed to have seen a poll worker enter illegal votes. Karamo then became a self-styled "whistleblower" and made the rounds on right-wing media. In the following weeks, she supported Texas Attorney General Ken Paxton's efforts to cancel votes in the swing states Trump lost; said it was "Antifa posing as Trump supporters" who were responsible for the violence on Jan. 6th; attended a QAnon convention; and went to Arizona to support "audit" leaders such as Wendy Rogers.

This, mind you, is the person Republicans want to be Michigan's top elections official .

Beyond her views on the 2020 election, there is little else to say about Karamo's political experience or political views. Reporters have documented her thoughts on some social issues based on a podcast she produced before she became a candidate:

In her podcast, Karamo called self "anti-vaxxer," opposed teaching of evolution in schools, likened abortion to human sacrifice and said LGBT people and those who have sex outside of marriage "violate God's creative design" and are indicative of a culture of "sexual brokenness." https://t.co/t1plaqFIzL
— Jonathan Oosting (@jonathanoosting) April 24, 2022

And Michigan Democrats are eager to point to Karamo's comments that police officers and others who testified to the House Jan. 6th Committee were "actors and actresses," that Republicans who don't support her are "traitors," and that Democrats are "Satanic."

As tempting as it might be, don't write off these candidates and their beliefs as flukes. Michigan Republicans sought them out and supported them precisely because of their ideas.

We know this to be true because Trump-loving Michigan Republicans gave candidates questionnaires to fill out, full of leading questions—such as:

• Define a RINO in your own words. If they vote against our Republican Party president, defy our Party Platform and have deceived those that put them in office, do they belong in the Republican Party leadership? What should be done?
  • What do you believe happened at the U.S. Capitol on January 6, 2021? Were you there?
  • What do you believe happened on Election Day, November 3, 2020?

The questionnaire also includes an entire section on "Election Integrity" wherein candidates are simply given three choices: "yes," "no," or "maybe." Here are some of those multiple-choice questions:

• Do you believe there was fraud in the 2020 Election?
  • Do you support a full forensic audit and investigation of the 2020 Election?
  • Should Dominion Voting Machines be removed?
  • Should Election Officials be held accountable (prosecuted and removed for violations)?

You don't have to guess how they answered.

DePerno's and Karamo's written answers are eye-opening.

In his responses, DePerno promised to investigate not only Nessel, but the sitting secretary of state and governor, Democrats Jocelyn Benson and Gretchen Whitmer, as well. He named prosecuting their "unconstitutional and criminal acts" one of his top five priorities.

When he was asked to say where he was on Jan. 6th, DePerno offered something unexpected. He said that on that day, "I was in the State Department briefing Mike Pompeo's staff om [sic] how the election was stolen. (NOTE to reader: don't tell the Feds!)."

Is that a joke? A little light trolling? It's so very hard to tell with these candidates. Also, why were candidates being asked about their whereabouts and thoughts about what happened that day? Was there extra credit being given to those who were in Washington alongside the rioters? Saying anything critical about the violence that day, without blaming Antifa, would have certainly been disqualifying.

Karamo, in her written answers, said she believed RINO Republicans "should be legally removed from their position." She also said, "Republicans need to be more dogmatic about fighting the culture wars, which trickles down everywhere" and that efforts to shut down talk about election conspiracies were "not only is Unconstitutional further citizens concerns [sic] that there is a massive cover-up happening, that threaten future elections."

Although she was not in Washington on Jan. 6th, Karamo wrote:

I believe that the overwhelming majority of people there, came to make their voices heard regarding the evidence of fraud in our elections. How the chaos ensued at the capitol, I have my suspicious [sic] of what happened, and I believe we are being lied to regarding the events, also that the current hearings are a farce. However due to the prevalence of lies surrounding the events, and false blaming of Trump, I believe that if the average American learned the truth, it would terrify them.

She did not say what that supposed "truth" might be.

She also wrote:

I believe based on personal experience and other overwhelming evidence that the there [sic] was massive fraud in our elections that is being covered-up. That this fraud was a well-organized sophisticated process, deploying multiple methods, to deny the American people their voice.

For all this DePerno and Karamo have been richly rewarded. Michigan Republican Party co-chair Meshawn Maddock endorsed DePerno, breaking with the norms of staying out of primaries and convention contests.

The major factor in their success at the convention on Saturday was Trump's seal of approval. In a February 21 letter to Michigan delegates endorsing DePerno, Trump said he was "fully invested" in Michigan and "eager to see this state flip red once again." And Trump has followed through: He has made himself available for Mar-a-Lago fundraisers, tele-townhalls, and rallies for the candidates.

All because Trump believes one thing.

"This choice is not just about 2022," Trump said while talking up DePerno during one of the events. "This is about ensuring the state of Michigan cannot be stolen from Republicans in 2024 or ever again."

Translation: If one MAGA conspiracy theorist were to occupy the state's highest law enforcement office and another were the state's top elections official, it's easy to imagine Republican electoral losses being overturned. The fix would be in.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1  seeder  JohnRussell    2 years ago
Jonathan Oosting
@jonathanoosting
In her podcast, Karamo called self “anti-vaxxer,” opposed teaching of evolution in schools, likened abortion to human sacrifice and said LGBT people and those who have sex outside of marriage “violate God's creative design” and are indicative of a culture of “sexual brokenness.”
-

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
1.1  Trout Giggles  replied to  JohnRussell @1    2 years ago

I doubt she was a virgin on her wedding night

Tessylo
Professor Principal
1.1.1  Tessylo  replied to  Trout Giggles @1.1    2 years ago

She was probably knocked up by her cousin at 13 and has had a slew of abortions.  

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
1.1.2  XXJefferson51  replied to  Tessylo @1.1.1    2 years ago

Are there racial tones in that comment?  Is that what you actually think of regarding African American Christian women?  

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
1.1.3  XXJefferson51  replied to  Trout Giggles @1.1    2 years ago

What difference does it make to you if she was or if she came to her beliefs as an adult?  

Tessylo
Professor Principal
1.1.4  Tessylo  replied to  XXJefferson51 @1.1.2    2 years ago

That's what I think of this whackjob Karamo.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
1.1.5  Tessylo  replied to  XXJefferson51 @1.1.2    2 years ago

Don't accuse me of being racist.  I had no idea she was african american.

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
1.1.6  Jeremy Retired in NC  replied to  Tessylo @1.1.5    2 years ago
I had no idea she was african american.

See how research prevents you from looking racist?  Try it next time.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.1.7  Texan1211  replied to  Tessylo @1.1.5    2 years ago
Don't accuse me of being racist.  I had no idea she was african american.

No one accused you of anything, and besides, you aren't the topic here.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
1.1.8  TᵢG  replied to  Texan1211 @1.1.7    2 years ago
No one accused you of anything, and besides, you aren't the topic here.

You missed this?:

XX@1.1.2Are there racial tones in that comment?  Is that what you actually think of regarding African American Christian women?  

If someone asked you that question would you find that to be implying you made a racist comment?

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.1.9  Texan1211  replied to  TᵢG @1.1.8    2 years ago

I learned what statements are and what questions are long ago.

I also know the difference between the two.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
1.1.10  TᵢG  replied to  Texan1211 @1.1.9    2 years ago

I asked you (@1.1.8):  "If someone asked you that question would you find that to be implying you made a racist comment?"

Yet again, you offer a non-reply which ignores a probative question.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.1.11  Texan1211  replied to  TᵢG @1.1.10    2 years ago

Sorry, I don't give a shit what you asked.

I answer what I deem important.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
1.1.12  TᵢG  replied to  Texan1211 @1.1.11    2 years ago

Does not matter, your running away non-answer says it all.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.1.13  Texan1211  replied to  TᵢG @1.1.12    2 years ago
Does not matter,

Then why yammer on about it?

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
1.2  XXJefferson51  replied to  JohnRussell @1    2 years ago

She is exactly right except for being anti vax.  The right position is to be neutral about others making their own choice based on their informed decision and do likewise individually.  Everything else is spot on.  An African American woman who is a rising star in the GOP!  

Tessylo
Professor Principal
1.2.1  Tessylo  replied to  XXJefferson51 @1.2    2 years ago

She's a whackjob.  That's all today's gqp has to offer.  

Ender
Professor Principal
1.3  Ender  replied to  JohnRussell @1    2 years ago

Culture of...

See? It is the right wing that is making and then fighting these so called culture wars.

They are all a made up meme for the right wing to salivate over.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
2  seeder  JohnRussell    2 years ago

The Michigan state GOP has endorsed crazy people for high office in that state. Must be time for another Trump rally there. 

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
2.1  XXJefferson51  replied to  JohnRussell @2    2 years ago

It already happened when he endorsed both of them a few weeks ago.  

Sparty On
Professor Principal
3  Sparty On    2 years ago

Meh, an improvement over the soros stooges that occupy those jobs right now. 

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
3.1  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  Sparty On @3    2 years ago

Its a telling comment that you think deranged conspiracy nuts who wanted to overthrow the 2020 election are qualified to hold state office in Michigan. 

Sparty On
Professor Principal
3.1.1  Sparty On  replied to  JohnRussell @3.1    2 years ago

Nah, the really telling part is that you’re to obtuse to understand that soros the hut sponsored candidates are far worse for Michigan than candidates that left wing progressive kooks simply don’t like.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
3.1.2  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  Sparty On @3.1.1    2 years ago
soros the hut sponsored candidates are far worse for Michigan than candidates that left wing progressive kooks simply don’t like.

Once again you demonstrate that you dont know what you are talking about. You have a near perfect record in that regard !

Sparty On
Professor Principal
3.1.3  Sparty On  replied to  JohnRussell @3.1.2    2 years ago

Stay in Illinois John, you are completely lost in Michigan.

Completely.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
3.1.4  Tessylo  replied to  JohnRussell @3.1.2    2 years ago

I'd say a perfect record.  

Sparty On
Professor Principal
3.1.5  Sparty On  replied to  Tessylo @3.1.4    2 years ago

Your passive aggressive stalking is really getting out of hand

No, I don’t want to date you, I’m already spoken for.

Hallux
PhD Principal
3.2  Hallux  replied to  Sparty On @3    2 years ago

Ah yes, Soros the Bad Jew ... lets channel Orban! /S

Sparty On
Professor Principal
3.2.1  Sparty On  replied to  Hallux @3.2    2 years ago

Oh, he’s Jewish?     Interesting ..... I thought he was just a billionaire who enjoyed sticking his nose in other peoples business.

You aren’t anti Semitic now are you?    That would be very bad ....

Hallux
PhD Principal
3.2.2  Hallux  replied to  Sparty On @3.2.1    2 years ago
Oh, he’s Jewish?

You should run for Speaker of the House, daily denialism is all the rage for 2022.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
3.2.3  Sparty On  replied to  Hallux @3.2.2    2 years ago
You should run for Speaker of the House,

Think so?    I don’t know but I’ll take it under advisement.

Glad to know our friends to the north are so concerned about us little old Michiganders.

Thx!

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
3.3  Ozzwald  replied to  Sparty On @3    2 years ago
Meh, an improvement over the soros stooges that occupy those jobs right now.

That's a bad sign.  When you default to Soros, it means you have nothing else to distract or deflect with.

Soros = d) None of the above.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
3.3.1  Sparty On  replied to  Ozzwald @3.3    2 years ago
 Soros

Damn, the truth hurts you again.

Not good, not good at all.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
3.3.2  Tessylo  replied to  Ozzwald @3.3    2 years ago

That's the M.O.

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
3.3.3  Ozzwald  replied to  Tessylo @3.3.2    2 years ago

That's the M.O.

It's sad when whataboutisms are your only argument.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
3.3.4  Sparty On  replied to  Ozzwald @3.3.3    2 years ago

Then you should stop doing that.

Its very unseemly for such a highly educated person such as yourself to act in such a sophomoric manner.

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
3.3.5  Ozzwald  replied to  Sparty On @3.3.4    2 years ago

It's rather amazing.  You argue using the same falsehoods as Texan1211.  You take the same classes together?

Texan1211
Professor Principal
3.3.6  Texan1211  replied to  Ozzwald @3.3.5    2 years ago
It's rather amazing.  You argue using the same falsehoods as Texan1211.  You take the same classes together?

Oh, God, THAT shit AGAIN?

We already know how this works out for you.

You make a claim about me or my posts, I ask you to prove it by quoting me, then you deflect and run away with your tail between your legs.

Okay, I'll play ONE last time.

QUOTE me lying or retract your FALSE CLAIMS.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
3.3.7  Sparty On  replied to  Ozzwald @3.3.5    2 years ago

Not sure, last class I took was nearly 40 years ago.    

You on summer break yet?

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
4  Greg Jones    2 years ago

"As such, they're viewed as longshots who will be unable to unite the party, win over independents, and beat the incumbent Democrats, Attorney General Dana Nessel and Secretary of State Jocelyn Benson."

Sadly for the Dems, very few of these deranged right wing whack jobs will win office. The electorate as a whole is not as stupid as some people think. Tina Peters and Ron Hanks here in Colorado will find that out.

Dismayed Patriot
Professor Quiet
4.1  Dismayed Patriot  replied to  Greg Jones @4    2 years ago
The electorate as a whole is not as stupid as some people think.

" In our most recent University of Massachusetts at Amherst poll, fielded online Dec. 14-20 by YouGov among a nationally representative sample of the U.S. voting-age population,  only 21 percent of Republicans  say Joe Biden’s victory was legitimate ."

I think most underestimate the monumental level of stupid within the Republican party. If 79% of a party believe an obvious blatant lie or believe in a thoroughly debunked conspiracy theory, that is not a party of great thinkers, it's an irrational, delusional mob of bitter ignorant sore losers and whiners.