╌>

Rich Strike wins the 2022 Kentucky Derby at Churchill Downs

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  perrie-halpern  •  2 years ago  •  16 comments

By:   Jason Frakes (The Courier-Journal)

Rich Strike wins the 2022 Kentucky Derby at Churchill Downs
Who won the 2022 Kentucky Derby? Rich Strike wins gold for the 148th Run for the Roses.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

635606584212819608-Jason-Frakes8.JPG?width=48&height=48&fit=crop&format=pjpg&auto=webp Jason FrakesLouisville Courier Journal View CommentsView Comments 194602df-d31b-4dd8-b6d2-5f567c05ada5-DerbyMSC03.jpg?crop=2999,1687,x0,y339&width=660&height=372&format=pjpg&auto=webp

Rich Strike won the 148th Kentucky Derby on Saturday evening.

Rich Strike outlasted Derby favorites Epicenter and Zandon in the final seconds to win the prestigious race. Trainer Eric Reed won his first Kentucky Derby win in his first appearance.

"I don't know how (to put the win into words). I fell down in the paddock when he hit the wire. I about passed out. I'm so happy," Reed said. "This is something, you know, is the reason everybody does this, because we're not supposed to be here, but I knew this horse loved the track, and we've been training so good all year."

At 80-1 odds entering the race, Rich Strike has the second-longest odds to ever win the Kentucky Derby. In 1913, Donerail won from the No. 1 post at 91-1 odds. In 2019, Country Home won at 65-1 odds, which is now the third-longest odds ever.

Live updates: Kentucky Derby 2022: Favorites, odds, races and more at Churchill Downs

Historic highlight: Watch Rich Strike win the 2022 Kentucky Derby

Test your knowledge: Who has won the most Kentucky Derby races? Kentucky Derby trivia facts you should know

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
1  sandy-2021492    2 years ago

I do love an underdog.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
2  JohnRussell    2 years ago

Rich Strike went off at 80-1.  What that means is that almost everyone who bet on the Kentucky Derby lost money. 

The few winners won big, but most everyone lost. Its doubtful that many people even had Rich Strike in the exotic bets. 

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
2.1  Vic Eldred  replied to  JohnRussell @2    2 years ago
Its doubtful that many people even had Rich Strike in the exotic bets. 

I'd never have had him on any of my tickets.  If you had him over the favorites on a $2 Exacta, you would have got back over $4,000. That's why people love the game.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
3  JohnRussell    2 years ago

The time for the race was rather slow. None of these horses is a Seattle Slew or Affirmed. 

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
3.1  sandy-2021492  replied to  JohnRussell @3    2 years ago

It was a muddy track and a pretty large field.  Not the best conditions for a record-setting race.  They had a pretty fast first half mile.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
3.1.1  Vic Eldred  replied to  sandy-2021492 @3.1    2 years ago
They had a pretty fast first half mile.

That was the reason right there! As the great Tom Ainslie once said "Speed kills" and that is what set it up for Rich Strike.  There is an interesting story to this year's Derby. That horse was purchased in a claiming race for $30,000. He only got into the race because another horse scratched out on Friday morning. His owner, trainer and Venezuelan Jockey are unknowns to top level racing. The quote I'll fondly remember was that of the owner in the winner's circle. I'm not sure if he was speaking of his horse or his jockey, but he said "They know who he is now!"

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
3.1.2  sandy-2021492  replied to  Vic Eldred @3.1.1    2 years ago

Sonny Leon threaded the needle with his horse.  An overhead shot showed what a great job he did.  He'll be in demand in the top levels of racing now.

pat wilson
Professor Participates
3.1.3  pat wilson  replied to  sandy-2021492 @3.1.2    2 years ago
Sonny Leon threaded the needle with his horse

He sure did. Kinda reminded me of Unbridled years ago.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
4  Vic Eldred    2 years ago

"Rich Strike didn't just grab the reins (and you can see his bite mark in them); he also bit a chunk out of the lead pony's neck." 

It's very rare and it's called "savaging."

FSNK8Z3WYAEPZgD?format=jpg&name=small
The neck of the lead pony that led Rich Strike back to the winner's circle

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
4.1  Vic Eldred  replied to  Vic Eldred @4    2 years ago

FSSHW5wUYAE0PjF?format=jpg&name=360x360

Drinker of the Wry
Junior Expert
4.2  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  Vic Eldred @4    2 years ago

Rich Strike was still in race mode and didn't want that pony in the lead steeling his race.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
4.2.1  Vic Eldred  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @4.2    2 years ago

You're right. That usually happens during the race.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
5  Vic Eldred    2 years ago

Mattress Mack lost $2.6 million betting on Kentucky Derby

FSQ2J8uXEAMmOGW?format=jpg&name=small

https:// trib.al/o2pG0H4

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
6  Vic Eldred    2 years ago

"This was him in training Derby Week. He also bit the pony girl’s arm several times in the way to the Derby gate, leaving gashes & bruises. If I were on him I would have been very grateful the outrider didn’t NOT cut me loose".....Caton Bredar

FSW_yZsXMAQJmFV?format=jpg&name=small

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
7  Vic Eldred    2 years ago

Kentucky Derby winning trainer Eric Reed:

“I think for two minutes and two seconds, the world forgot about politics and war and Covid.”

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
8  Vic Eldred    2 years ago

And then this guy showed up:

FSMO0uTXIAEjOgq?format=jpg&name=small