╌>

Yellowstone visitor, 25, is gored by a bison and tossed 10 feet in the air

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  freefaller  •  2 years ago  •  40 comments

Yellowstone visitor, 25, is gored by a bison and tossed 10 feet in the air

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

The incident marks the first time in 2022 a person was gored at the park, the National Park Service said.

A 25-year-old woman was gored by a bison and tossed her 10 feet into the air Monday at Yellowstone National Park, the   National Park Service said   Tuesday.

The woman, who was visiting from Ohio, came within 10 feet of the animal, while two other people came within 25 yards. Park rules say visitors must remain more than 25 yards from the creatures.

The bison was walking near a boardwalk at Black Sand Basin, which is close to Old Faithful, when the visitor approached it, the park service said.

“Consequently, the bison gored the woman and tossed her 10 feet into the air,” the NPS said in a statement. “The woman sustained a puncture wound and other injuries.”

Park medical staff responded to the attack and the woman was taken to Eastern Idaho Regional Medical Center. The incident remained under investigation. The woman is from Grove City, Ohio, a suburb of Columbus, the park service said.

Bison have injured more people at Yellowstone than any other animal, and Monday's incident marked the first time this year a visitor was gored, NPS said.

Several encounters with the creatures have happened in recent years,   with some captured on social media .

In June 2020, a 72-year-old California woman was gored when she got too close while   trying to take photos   of a bison.

A month later, another woman   played dead   to avoid an attack when she tripped and fell as a bison came running toward her in the Wyoming portion of Yellowstone.

CORRECTION  (June 1, 2022, 12:25 p.m. ET) A previous version of this article misstated the severity of the woman’s injuries. She survived being gored by a bison at Yellowstone. She was not killed.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Freefaller
Professor Quiet
1  seeder  Freefaller    2 years ago

And the search for the perfect selfie continues

Well at least she survived this important lesson

1stwarrior
Professor Participates
1.1  1stwarrior  replied to  Freefaller @1    2 years ago

Mark in Wyoming
Professor Silent
1.1.1  Mark in Wyoming   replied to  1stwarrior @1.1    2 years ago

right now , those "fluffy cows "
 are being followed by their little "red dogs " and the cows are protective of their dogs ......

for those that dont know , a bison calf is usually a reddish color , not a dark  brown like the mama.

Freefaller
Professor Quiet
1.1.2  seeder  Freefaller  replied to  1stwarrior @1.1    2 years ago

Lol, that is funny

Kavika
Professor Principal
2  Kavika     2 years ago

I've visited Yellowstone a number of times and have seen some of the most stupid moves by tourists that one can imagine. It's a wonder that a couple of dozen people per year aren't killed using their Darwin moves. 

Drinker of the Wry
Junior Expert
2.1  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  Kavika @2    2 years ago
It's a wonder that a couple of dozen people per year aren't killed using their Darwin moves. 

Maybe since it's a federal park, they mistakenly think that the federal government will protect them.

1stwarrior
Professor Participates
2.1.1  1stwarrior  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @2.1    2 years ago

What - there's no "We're from the government and we're here to help you" sign???

Drinker of the Wry
Junior Expert
2.1.2  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  1stwarrior @2.1.1    2 years ago
We're from the government and we're here to help you" sign???

If there was, I would have to have a sign that replied, “And I’m happy to have you”.

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
2.2  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  Kavika @2    2 years ago

I remember back in the early to mid 80's when I was stationed at the Marine Corp Base at Camp Pendelton. There was and still is a herd of wild bison on the base. I used to go trout fishing up in the mountains on base at a lake called Casey Springs and the bison would go there to drink water. The base game wardens advised everybody going there to retreat to their vehicles or stay on the other side of the lake when the bison showed up to water.Only saw one case of injury by a bison the whole time I was there and that was teenage buy got his foot stepped on by a bison he got too close to.

Freefaller
Professor Quiet
2.3  seeder  Freefaller  replied to  Kavika @2    2 years ago

Cmon Kavika don't leave us hanging

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
2.4  Trout Giggles  replied to  Kavika @2    2 years ago

I went there when we were coming back from Alaska. I saw some stupid moves, too. A man had his family stand in front of a herd about 15 yards from the buffalo and was taking photos.

dumb....dumb...dumb....

Ender
Professor Principal
3  Ender    2 years ago

I swear. Gonna get to the point where it will have to be like a safari and drive people through.

Isn't there like springs or pools that are so toxic the fumes kill things.

Split Personality
Professor Guide
3.1  Split Personality  replied to  Ender @3    2 years ago

Yep, and people step over the barriers to get closer.

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
3.1.1  Greg Jones  replied to  Split Personality @3.1    2 years ago

A few  have fallen in over the years and were boiled....

Mark in Wyoming
Professor Silent
3.2  Mark in Wyoming   replied to  Ender @3    2 years ago

Wont matter .

they are usually already driving , and when they see wildlife they stop and get out , i live an Hr from yellowstones south entrance and grand teton national park , when i drive over that way i ALWAYS see some idiotic thing the tourons do , thinking the animals are tame and docile ......

best one i saw and figured would end up on the nightly news was going over the pass and amama grizz and her cubs were down by the highway just outside either park on national forest land , i thought for sure someone was going to get mauled with everyone out taking pictures and selfies . cant fix stupid when its welded there . i lost the betting pool down at the watering hole about when the first human-animal incident would happen , maybe i will do better with my pick for the last incident which is when they shut the park for snow .

Ender
Professor Principal
3.2.1  Ender  replied to  Mark in Wyoming @3.2    2 years ago
tourons

Ha. That took me a little bit but I finally got it.

Freefaller
Professor Quiet
3.3  seeder  Freefaller  replied to  Ender @3    2 years ago
Isn't there like springs or pools that are so toxic the fumes kill things.

Yup and people have burned horribly or died by either accidently slipping or purposely going in for whatever reason.  I believe there's at least one pool that is so acidic that it will dissolve people and it has.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
3.3.1  Trout Giggles  replied to  Freefaller @3.3    2 years ago

When we were there we stuck to the paths where the springs are and pretty much stayed in the car while driving thru the park. The only time we got out was when the cat had to potty

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
4  Buzz of the Orient    2 years ago

Serves her right for forgetting to bring her red cape.

Mark in Wyoming
Professor Silent
4.1  Mark in Wyoming   replied to  Buzz of the Orient @4    2 years ago

Welcome folks to our head butting contest today , in this corner we have the corn fed gal from Ohioooooo, weighing in at 130-140 pounds , in the other corner we have the master of the plains and the woodlands of the rcky mnts , the american bison weighing in at 1 short tonne , yes folks that is 2000 pounds of pure muscle ... one does not have to be blessed with the gift of divination to know how thats going to end ..... unless its my ex wife ... would have to add  50 pounds and mention she is a sibling of the debbil , almost would make me feel sorry for the buff.....but it would be worth buying some popcorn and beer to watch ....

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
4.1.1  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Mark in Wyoming @4.1    2 years ago

First laugh out loud of the day - thanks, Mark.

Kavika
Professor Principal
4.1.2  Kavika   replied to  Mark in Wyoming @4.1    2 years ago

Plus they can run at 35 mph and turn on a dime.

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
4.1.3  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  Kavika @4.1.2    2 years ago

One of the funniest things I saw when I was at Camp Pendelton fishing Casey Springs was when one day a P-7 AMTRAK (Amphibious Tracked Vehicle for the uninitiated) driving down the dirt road by the lake when all of a sudden a huge rogue bull wanders out onto the road and just stands there staring down that AMTRAK that halted right in front of it and the bull would not budge. The vehicle commander blew the horn at it to no effect. He had the driver advance slowly toward the bull and it charged the vehicle so driver backs up. This happened 3 or four times to scare it always with same result. Bull refused to yield. Finally the vehicle commander gave up and had the driver just go off the road and slowly go around the animal. The bull just stood there and watched and when the vehicle was past him, he just slowly ambled on down the road seemingly without a care in the world and honor was satisfied I guess. About 6 or 7 people fishing just stood there and laughed our butts off. AMTRAK left the area post haste. Still laugh to this day thinking about it.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
4.1.4  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Ed-NavDoc @4.1.3    2 years ago

Obviously bearing greater weight is not the deciding factor.  LOL

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
4.1.5  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @4.1.4    2 years ago

Yep. Moral of the story is always give buffalo the right of way! You will lose if you don't. I know more than one AMTRAK crew that came back from that area with sizable dents in their vehicles from buffalo ramming them.

Mark in Wyoming
Professor Silent
4.1.6  Mark in Wyoming   replied to  Kavika @4.1.2    2 years ago

they can run a might faster than that actually for short bursts .

mid 90s i was going through the park to get to cody from jackson ,was going around the lake and a big ole bull was grazing off the side of the road , dont know if it was because the car was red , or because it was fall and the "season of amour" was approaching , but that bull took off after my car.

picture if you will a 6'4" guy crammed into a little 1990 geo metro 3 banger , being chased down the road towards cody by a bull buffalo, what exactly his intentions were i didnt stick around to find out was not going to let him mount and seduce the car ruining the muffler , but when i was away from him and out of range  the gerbils under the hood were exhausted .  was doing 55 in the park and that guy was right on my cars "tail".

Mark in Wyoming
Professor Silent
4.1.7  Mark in Wyoming   replied to  Buzz of the Orient @4.1.4    2 years ago

being i drive a semi from time to time , generally there is the rule of , whomever has the bigger and most lugnuts generally gets the right of way .

I would say the buff still had the bigger lugnuts . those dangly bits get real big .....

Freefaller
Professor Quiet
4.1.8  seeder  Freefaller  replied to  Mark in Wyoming @4.1    2 years ago
in the other corner we have the master of the plains and the woodlands of the rcky mnts , the american bison weighing in at 1 short tonne , yes folks that is 2000 pounds of pure muscle ... one does not have to be blessed with the gift of divination to know how thats going to end

But they are tame pets aren't they? 

Mark in Wyoming
Professor Silent
4.1.9  Mark in Wyoming   replied to  Freefaller @4.1.8    2 years ago

those that think they are , are those that are a "special" kind of stupid 

Kavika
Professor Principal
4.1.10  Kavika   replied to  Ed-NavDoc @4.1.3    2 years ago

Well, buffalo are known to be ''bullheaded'' at times.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
4.1.11  Trout Giggles  replied to  Mark in Wyoming @4.1    2 years ago

that was great!

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
4.1.12  Trout Giggles  replied to  Ed-NavDoc @4.1.3    2 years ago

It was his land dammit!

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
4.1.13  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  Trout Giggles @4.1.12    2 years ago

Yep.

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
5  Ed-NavDoc    2 years ago

The fool is lucky her stupidity did not cost her her life!

Sparty On
Professor Principal
6  Sparty On    2 years ago

You can’t fix stupid.

Tacos!
Professor Guide
7  Tacos!    2 years ago
The woman, who was visiting from Ohio, came within 10 feet of the animal, while two other people came within 25 yards.

Not that unusual. I’ve been within 10 feet of a Yellowstone Bison . . . In my car. Because I’m not a fucking moron.

Nature has assisted quite a few people like this to an early grave or a trip to the hospital. There’s nothing to be done for it. Aggressively stupid people will kill themselves. Hopefully, before they procreate.

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
7.1  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  Tacos! @7    2 years ago

Darwin award candidate perhaps?

Mark in Wyoming
Professor Silent
7.1.1  Mark in Wyoming   replied to  Ed-NavDoc @7.1    2 years ago

We close to yellowstone are in the process of handing out said awards , thing is the contestants are still performing ......

Sparty On
Professor Principal
7.1.2  Sparty On  replied to  Ed-NavDoc @7.1    2 years ago

Perhaps but no one will ever beat the guy who rigged JATO packs on his car.

Not much left of that genius I hear .....

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
7.1.3  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  Sparty On @7.1.2    2 years ago

Yep, went out in a blaze of glory there!