╌>

3 charged after Beverly shooting paralyzes off-duty Chicago police officer

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  s  •  2 years ago  •  18 comments

3 charged after Beverly shooting paralyzes off-duty Chicago police officer
Officer Dan Golden, 32, was at the bar with friends after playing in the softball fundraiser Papa Hops, which raises money for families dealing with cancer.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

CHICAGO — Three people were charged after a   shooting in Beverly   that paralyzed a Chicago police officer.

The Chicago Police Department said Demitrius Harrell, 28, Bryant Hayes, 22, and Justen Krismantis, 22, all face charges following a shooting Saturday around 2:30 a.m. at Sean’s Rhino Bar, near West 104th Street and Western Avenue.

Officer Dan Golden, 32, was at the bar with friends after playing in the  softball fundraiser  Papa Hops, which raises money for families dealing with cancer.

His fiancé told WGN News there was an altercation at the bar and he was trying to de-escalate the situation when someone opened fire. Golden’s mother said he did identify himself as a police officer when he was trying to break up the fight.

Golden, who works in Area Four with the Gang Investigation’s Homicide Unit, was   shot once in the back   and his spinal cord was severed. The bullet was lodged in his lung and at this time, doctors are not going to perform surgery to remove it. Golden is now paralyzed from the waist down.

Golden and his fiancé plan to marry in Oct. 2023. The family is in the process of setting up a GoFundMe, but people can donate to the Patrolman’s Federal Credit Union.

Harrell was charged Tuesday with felony unlawful use of a weapon and felony aggravated battery and discharge of a firearm.

Hayes was charged with two felony counts of aggravated unlawful use of a weapon and two counts of felony aggravated battery and discharge of a firearm.

Krismantis faces two felony counts of aggravated battery and discharge of a firearm, felony aggravated unlawful use of a weapon and one misdemeanor count of obstructing an officer.

All three charged are due in bond court Tuesday.

County court records show Harrell was arrested in July 2017 after Chicago police executed a search warrant at his home in south suburban Calumet City. Harrell was charged with two counts of being a felon in possession of a firearm after police found a 9 mm semiautomatic Taurus pistol during the search. According to his arrest report, Harrell told police he obtained the gun via a weapons swap with members of a faction of Black Disciples based in Englewood.  

In September 2018, federal court records show, Harrell pleaded guilty to one count of attempted bank robbery by intimidation. According to prosecutors’ complaint, Harrell went to a bank in Calumet City and handed a note to the bank manager that read: “give me 40,000 all Big Bill 100’s and 50’s before I start shooting you got three minutes don’t play with me my Police Scanner on. No dye Pack or trackin device or shooting everybody in here.”

“When the bank robber pulled out the note and put it on the desk, Victim 1 [the bank manager] noticed that he had a silver object poking out of his coat that looked like a gun,” an FBI agent wrote in a sworn affidavit.

Harrell was sentenced to 46 months in federal prison followed by three years of supervised released.

A day after he was sentenced in the federal case, Harrell was sentenced to three years in state prison following a guilty plea in his gun case. The judge ruled that Harrell’s time in federal prison would count toward his state prison sentence.

On Monday, a federal judge issued an arrest warrant for Harrell, court records show.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
1  seeder  Sean Treacy    2 years ago

Harrell was arrested in July 2017 after Chicago police executed a search warrant at his home in south suburban Calumet City. Harrell was charged with two counts of being a felon in possession of a firearm after police found a 9 mm semiautomatic Taurus pistol during the search. According to his arrest report, Harrell told police he obtained the gun via a weapons swap with members of a faction of Black Disciples based in Englewood.  

And he was on the street able to shoot a cop...

Notice none of these thugs was charged with attempted murder?  It's not fair to the community to keep them in jail, I guess. 

But sure, pass more gun laws so they can be ignored by crime supporting DAs.

Ronin2
Professor Quiet
1.1  Ronin2  replied to  Sean Treacy @1    2 years ago

Wait for the argument that the cop wasn't in uniform and he didn't die- so no murder charge of any type needed.

Guess he got off "lucky" only being paralyzed and having a bullet lodged in his lung for the rest of his life. 

You have to wonder about our legal system that penalizes victims and rewards criminals. 

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
2  JohnRussell    2 years ago

I have nephews that know the cop. And I have been to Papa Hops softball tournament many times. It is perhaps the largest summertime outdoor event in the Beverly-Mt Greenwood neighborhoods. 

It attracts thousands of participants and spectators, and has raised hundreds of thousands of dollars for charity. 

DiBwWwgUYAUmcwr.jpg

Papa Hops starts at 5pm and the championship game starts at about 11 p.m. on a Friday night. And almost everyone there , including the players, are drinking alcohol for hours. 

The people who were at the Rhino bar at 2:30 a.m. and had come from Papa Hops were almost certainly very drunk. The old saying is that nothing good happens in a bar after 1 or 2 a.m. 

To my knowledge blacks dont really go to the Rhino bar, so these 3 going in there after midnight was maybe an intentional effort to make trouble. Perhaps they were looking for someone they could rob after the bar closed. A dispute broke out , and a fight, one of the black guys went out to his car and got the gun and at some point started shooting wildly towards a group of people who were outside in an area behind the bar. 

Lock em up. They took the cops ability to use his lower body away from him and have to pay the consequences. There is no excuse for going and getting the gun out of his car. 

I will also say this. It is highly likely that a majority of the white guys that were in there are openly racist. I know those type of people in that neighborhood very well. 

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
2.1  seeder  Sean Treacy  replied to  JohnRussell @2    2 years ago
and got the gun and at some point started shooting wildly towards a group of people who were outside in an area behind the bar. 

How is that not attempted murder?  

There's two issues here. One is the refusal to charge these guys with attempted murder and put them away for decades. With these sort of charges, they'll be out in the prime of their life ready to wreak more havoc.

The other is the refusal by those who call the loudest for ever expanding  gun laws to actually punish criminals when they illegally possess/use guns in a crime.  A felon caught illegally with a gun is exactly the type of person who should be in jail for at least a decade.  It can't be both ways. If you want to cut gun crime you have to put violent criminals in jail. It's insane to pursue policies that put violent criminals on the street ASAP while simultaneously thinking additional laws that only the law abiding will follow will somehow cut violent crime. 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.1.1  Texan1211  replied to  Sean Treacy @2.1    2 years ago

Is it just idiot DA's who Democrats elected into office who decline to press appropriate charges involving guns WHILE crying about how we need yet MORE gun laws their idiots won't enforce and their radical judges will somehow excuse because the perpetrators are black?

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
2.2  Greg Jones  replied to  JohnRussell @2    2 years ago
"'I will also say this. It is highly likely that a majority of the white guys that were in there are openly racist. I know those type of people in that neighborhood very well."
Your apologist views of black criminals is well noted

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.2.1  Texan1211  replied to  Greg Jones @2.2    2 years ago

To some folk, EVERYTHING is always about race, race, race.

Doesn't it get so tiresome?

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
2.2.2  JohnRussell  replied to  Greg Jones @2.2    2 years ago

Im not apologizing for anybody. The perps should go away for a long long time. 

People should stay out of bars after drinking for 10 hours though.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
2.2.3  JohnRussell  replied to  Texan1211 @2.2.1    2 years ago

Everything you say is tiresome. 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.2.4  Texan1211  replied to  JohnRussell @2.2.3    2 years ago
Everything you say is tiresome.

What's your new favorite line?

Fuck off?

shona1
PhD Quiet
2.2.5  shona1  replied to  Texan1211 @2.2.1    2 years ago

Arvo Texan...

The headlines here would read...

American shoots fellow American...what more is there to say...

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
2.2.6  Jeremy Retired in NC  replied to  shona1 @2.2.5    2 years ago

There are idiots here on NT that would make it about race regardless of what the headline and article state.  

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.3  Texan1211  replied to  JohnRussell @2    2 years ago
It is highly likely that a majority of the white guys that were in there are openly racist. I know those type of people in that neighborhood very well.

Oh, well then, that explains EVERYTHING.

Of course they deserved to get shot based on your findings.

Really appreciate your in-depth look at things supported by facts!

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
2.3.1  JohnRussell  replied to  Texan1211 @2.3    2 years ago

[Deleted]

Hallux
PhD Principal
2.4  Hallux  replied to  JohnRussell @2    2 years ago
The old saying is that nothing good happens in a bar after 1 or 2 a.m.

In my experience nothing good happens until the gal at the other end of the bar is drunk enough to think I'm good lookin'.

Drinker of the Wry
Junior Expert
2.4.1  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  Hallux @2.4    2 years ago
In my experience nothing good happens until the gal at the other end of the bar is drunk enough to think I'm good lookin'.

I knew that women that I wanted to spend the night with would never be that drunk,  So I worked on:

• Establishing eye contact with out staring
  • Buying her friends a drink along with her
  • Be my charming self
  • Make her laugh without trying to hard

Ronin2
Professor Quiet
2.5  Ronin2  replied to  JohnRussell @2    2 years ago
I will also say this. It is highly likely that a majority of the white guys that were in there are openly racist. I know those type of people in that neighborhood very well. 

All whites that are not properly subservient to leftist racial ideology are racists in your book; so your opinion means nothing.

squiggy
Junior Silent
3  squiggy    2 years ago

"Harrell was sentenced to 46 months..."

Many arcane gun laws go unchallenged because ordinary people figure, rightly, that it's not worth ten to twenty years in jail to prove a point - NY pistol laws, for example. Here, society is perfectly happy with a violent criminal getting a less-than-four-year SENTENCE.

The left has to figure out what liberties they're willing to trade for safety before I give an inch.