╌>

UK gets ready for travel disruptions as temps may hit 104 F | AP News

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  perrie-halpern  •  2 years ago  •  8 comments

By:   DANICA KIRKA (AP NEWS)

UK gets ready for travel disruptions as temps may hit 104 F | AP News
LONDON (AP) — The British government held an emergency response meeting Saturday to plan for record high temperatures next week after weather authorities issued their first-ever "red" warning for extreme heat.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

LONDON (AP) — The British government held an emergency response meeting Saturday to plan for record high temperatures next week after weather authorities issued their first-ever "red" warning for extreme heat.

The alert covers large parts of England on Monday and Tuesday, when temperatures may reach 40 degrees Celsius (104 Fahrenheit) for the first time, posing a risk of serious illness and even death among healthy people, the U.K. Met Office, the country's weather service, said Friday.

The British heat record is 38.7C (101.7F), set in 2019.

After chairing the meeting, Cabinet Office Minister Kit Malthouse warned that transport services will be significantly affected.

"The heat will affect rails, for example, so the trains have to run slower. There may be fewer services,″ he told the BBC. "People need to be on their guard for disruption. If they don't have to travel, this may be a moment to work from home."

Rail passengers and users of the London Underground subway system were being advised not to travel on Monday and Tuesday unless it's absolutely necessary. With children and older people considered particularly vulnerable to high temperatures, schools and nursing homes have been urged to take steps to protect students and older residents. Most schools in England are still in session until the end of next week.

The alert comes as scientists say climate change is increasing the likelihood of exceptional heat waves in Britain, a country unaccustomed to such temperatures. Few homes, apartments, schools or small businesses in the country have air conditioning.

Britain usually has moderate summer temperatures. Across the U.K., average July temperatures range from a daily high of 21 C (70 F) to a low of 12 C (53 F).

London Mayor Sadiq Khan met with representatives of the National Health Service, police, fire and other emergency services on Friday to review plans to deal with the heat emergency.

One doctor warned that the upcoming heat wave and a surge in COVID-19 infections were causing a nightmare for health workers.

"A lot of hospital buildings are very old, particularly in London, and many don't have air conditioning and windows that don't open - so they are extremely hot," said Dr. Claire Bronze, 38, an emergency room consultant in London. "Some staff still have to wear PPE - so plastic gowns, masks, gloves - on top of their normal uniform which, as you can imagine, means people are quickly going to get very hot and dehydrated."

___

All contents © copyright 2022 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Revillug
Freshman Participates
1  Revillug    2 years ago

104F is pretty damned hot for people who are not used to it. I feel their pain but we get similar heat waves here in Manhattan. It's nothing like the temperatures they are getting in India this year. Can you imagine the global disruption if a significant portion of India's population was displaced due to killer temperatures?

I have recently gone for vacations in Miami because it is a lot cheaper than flying to Hawaii and the beaches there are really nice. When I am in Miami I amuse myself by checking the temperature in Manhattan. It is amazing how often Manhattan is actually hotter.

According to The Gothamist:

NYC Summers Will Be Hotter Than Florida By 2100 But We'll Be Dead So Whatever Right?

Are we capable as a species of giving a damn about people who come seven generations after us?

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
2  Buzz of the Orient    2 years ago
"The alert covers large parts of England on Monday and Tuesday, when temperatures may reach 40 degrees Celsius (104 Fahrenheit) for the first time, posing a risk of serious illness and even death among healthy people, the U.K. Met Office, the country's weather service, said Friday.
The British heat record is 38.7C (101.7F), set in 2019."

Well, it's been 40 - 41 C (104 - 106 F) here in Chongqing where I am for the past week.  I just heard that someone's roof melted here.  However, Chongqing is known to be one of "The Three Furnaces of China" so it's expected.  Surrounded by mountains makes it like living at the bottom of a wok.  Being from Canada I consider those temps to be pretty wild but it does keep me indoors with the A/C going. 

shona1
PhD Quiet
2.1  shona1  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @2    2 years ago

The roads melt here but that's normal...use to go around and jump on the bubbles that formed on the roads when we were kids..and stamp our thong imprints in the bitumen as well.

Car seat belt buckles will burn your skin as they get so hot and the steering wheels and seats stick to you...

Ahhh the joys of summer...you are so far away at the moment....

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
2.1.1  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  shona1 @2.1    2 years ago

We'll probably start reading stories about stupid people who kill their kids by leaving them in locked cars now.

shona1
PhD Quiet
2.1.2  shona1  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @2.1.1    2 years ago

Yep you can bet on it.. happens every year here too...

They run add campaigns on the tv, newspapers, signs in carparks don't leave kids in cars...but they still do..

shona1
PhD Quiet
3  shona1    2 years ago

Hmmm yes and if common sense is used then normally not a problem.. drink plenty of plain water, forget soft drinks...stay out of the sun but people still go jogging in it or worse sun bake...

Wet a towel and put it on your body....as for air con I don't have it and I hate it. Stick your feet in a bucket of cold water, eat an icy pole...go out in the evening and have plenty of ice cubes in the freezer..and don't forget your pets...

Close all doors and windows and pull blinds and curtains closed.

That's how we survive summers and have done for years when it hits 40oC and over..

Hallux
Masters Principal
3.1  Hallux  replied to  shona1 @3    2 years ago
Stick your feet in a bucket of cold water

Works like a charm!

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
4  Vic Eldred    2 years ago

I guess well have to get after China and India to ease up on their emissions: