╌>

Starbucks CEO Howard Schultz blames Democrat-run cities for store closures

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  vic-eldred  •  2 years ago  •  50 comments

By:   Ariel Zilber (New York Post)

Starbucks CEO Howard Schultz blames Democrat-run cities for store closures
Howard Schultz made the comments in leaked video that was posted to Twitter over the weekend by Ari Hoffman of KVI-AM talk radio based in Seattle.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

Starbucks CEO Howard Schultz said Democratic mayors and city councils have "abdicated their responsibility" in fighting crime and addressing mental illness, which has forced his company to shutter stores due to fears over employee safety.

Schultz made the comments in leaked video that was posted to Twitter over the weekend by Ari Hoffman of KVI-AM talk radio based in Seattle.

Last week, Starbucks announced it was closing 16 restaurants in various cities across the country due to what the company said was employee complaints of drug use and violent crime on the premises.

Schultz said he believes the Seattle-based coffee chain will have to close "many more" locations.

"This is just the beginning," said the interim chief executive, who came back to run the company earlier this year following the retirement of his predecessor, Kevin Johnson.

Schultz blamed elected leaders of the Democrat cities where the stores are closing "at the local state and federal level, these governments… and leaders, mayors & governors & city councils have advocated their responsibility in fighting crime & addressing mental illness. pic.twitter.com/M8vTJgchCE
— Ari Hoffman (@thehoffather) July 13, 2022

"There are gonna be many more [store closures]."

The leaked video of Schultz shows him addressing Starbucks employees. He told them that the company was "beginning to close stores that are not unprofitable."

Schultz said he was "shocked" to hear from employees that "one of the primary concerns that our retail partners [baristas] have is their own personal safety."

"And then we heard about the stories that go along with it about what happens in our bathrooms," Schultz said.

Last week, Starbucks announced it was closing 16 stores nationwide, including in Seattle, Los Angeles, Washington, DC, Philadelphia, and Portland, Ore.

In 2018, Starbucks implemented an "open bathrooms" policy after a store manager had two black men arrested for not ordering coffee while sitting down in a Philadelphia location.

Video of the arrest went viral, and Starbucks apologized following intense backlash.

Now the company is giving store managers discretion to alter the policy due to complaints that Starbucks bathrooms are a magnet for drug abusers and homeless people.

In the video leaked over the weekend, Schultz cited the "issues of mental illness, homelessness, and crime."

"Starbucks is a window into America," Schultz said. "We are facing things in which the stores were not built for."

Schultz then took Democrat-run cities to task for not providing solutions.

"In my view, at the local, state, and federal level, these governments across the country and leaders — mayors, governors, and city councils — have abdicated their responsibility in fighting crime and addressing mental illness," he said.

Schultz added: "We are going to have to refine and transform and modernize many of the things we do to meet the needs of our customers in a very changing operating environment in which customer behavior is changing."

Starbucks said the store closures were due to employee complaints about rising crime and drug use on the premises.

He said that "demand for Starbucks coffee" both domestically and internationally has "never been greater" and that the company is shifting to a strategy of drive-thru and mobile app sales, which have accounted for much of the chain's pandemic-era sales.

The Post has sought comment from Starbucks.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
1  seeder  Vic Eldred    2 years ago

Starbucks said the store closures were due to employee complaints about rising crime and drug use on the premises.

No shit!

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
2  JohnRussell    2 years ago
Last week, Starbucks announced it was closing 16 restaurants in various cities across the country due to what the company said was employee complaints of drug use and violent crime on the premises.

There are 15,000 (give or take) Starbucks locations in the US. 

So they are closing roughly 1 out of every 1000 locations. And this is supposed to be a major news story? It is ridiculous. 

I also see nothing in the story that indicates that Schultz said the words "Democrat - run cities". 

There are 104 Starbucks in Portland Oregon. Evidently they are closing ONE of them for being dangerous. 

It is silly that this is being presented as some horrific trend. 

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
2.1  Jeremy Retired in NC  replied to  JohnRussell @2    2 years ago
It is silly that this is being presented as some horrific trend.

There is a horrific trend among Democrat run cities.  Just look at Chicago, Baltimore, LA, etc.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
2.1.1  JohnRussell  replied to  Jeremy Retired in NC @2.1    2 years ago

16 stores out of 15,000 is not any sort of trend at all. Neither is one out of one hundred as is the case in Portland. 

Drinker of the Wry
Junior Expert
2.1.2  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  JohnRussell @2.1.1    2 years ago

Exactly and the local patrons don't really need over priced coffee and in this economy the baristas will easily find other employment.  Maybe a vaping or tattoo shop will replace it.  We are a mobile, ever changing economy.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
2.1.3  JohnRussell  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @2.1.2    2 years ago

do you easily amuse yourself ?

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
2.1.4  Jeremy Retired in NC  replied to  JohnRussell @2.1.1    2 years ago

And you willingly remain ignorant of the criminal trends in Democrat run cities.  All the while you demand you be taken seriously?  LMAO.

Drinker of the Wry
Junior Expert
2.1.5  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  JohnRussell @2.1.3    2 years ago

Yes, it's a gift.

Drinker of the Wry
Junior Expert
2.1.6  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  JohnRussell @2.1.1    2 years ago
Neither is one out of one hundred as is the case in Portland. 

And Portland is more of a beer town anyway.  

The Downtown Portland Business Survey found that almost 40% of business owners currently located in the downtown core plan to relocate. A whopping 80% do not plan to relocate within downtown Portland.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
2.1.7  JohnRussell  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @2.1.6    2 years ago
This week, Starbucks also announced plans to close 16 stores over safety concerns. According to the Wall Street Journal , by the end of the month, the chain will permanently close six stores in Seattle; six more in the Los Angeles area; two in Portland, Oregon; and one each in Philadelphia and Washington, D.C., primarily over complaints tied to drug use and other reported incidents.

I have to correct one thing, I said one was closed in Portland (out of 104) when it is actually two. 

six more in the Los Angeles area

There are 466 Starbucks locations in the Los Angeles area. So 1.3% of them are closing. Objectively this isnt even worth discussing , but of course we will have to anyway because the right has found a new chew toy. 

There are 358 Starbucks in Chicago and suburbs. Not one of them is closing because of danger. My my. 

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
2.1.8  JohnRussell  replied to  JohnRussell @2.1.7    2 years ago

I wonder how many national chains or offices close some up on a yearly basis, because of security concerns, without trying to make headlines about it?  I suspect more than a few. And I suspect it was happening before Biden became president. 

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
2.1.9  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  JohnRussell @2.1.8    2 years ago

One thing we don't have to wonder about is why stores are fleeing big blue cities.

1303377-12-20200612122159.jpeg

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
2.1.10  Sean Treacy  replied to  JohnRussell @2.1.8    2 years ago
wonder how many national chains or offices close some up on a yearly basis, because of security concerns, without trying to make headlines about it?

Starbucks didn't try to make headlines. The video was leaked. 

And yes, the fact that other companies are no doubt quietly closing locations because democratic cities are lawless doesn't help your case. 

Drinker of the Wry
Junior Expert
2.1.11  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  JohnRussell @2.1.7    2 years ago
Not one of them is closing because of danger.

That's because there are no Starbucks in:

West Garfield Park

East Garfield Park

Washington Park

Englewood

West Englewood

North Lawndale

Riverdale

Tessylo
Professor Principal
2.1.12  Tessylo  replied to  Vic Eldred @2.1.9    2 years ago
That's because there are no Starbucks in:

West Garfield Park

East Garfield Park

Washington Park

Englewood

West Englewood

North Lawndale

Riverdale

I wouldn't imagine gang bangers have an affinity for over priced coffee.

Drinker of the Wry
Junior Expert
2.1.13  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  Tessylo @2.1.12    2 years ago

Gang Bangers?  Are you judging people that you don't know? 

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
2.1.14  Jack_TX  replied to  JohnRussell @2.1.1    2 years ago
16 stores out of 15,000 is not any sort of trend at all. 

Very true.

He does say "many more" will be closed, but then that's a highly nebulous statement itself.

There is a point to be made that businesses do not want to invest in locations where crime is problematic, or where issues like drug abuse and homelessness make operations more difficult.

I also understand him feeling protective of his employees.  I'm certainly protective of mine.  If they don't believe they are safe, that's a problem.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
2.1.15  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Vic Eldred @2.1.9    2 years ago

That photo was taken during the riots in CA in 2020. Hardly recent.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
2.1.16  Tessylo  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @2.1.15    2 years ago

Gee, what a surprise!

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
2.1.17  JohnRussell  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @2.1.11    2 years ago

The people in those communities cant afford 4 or 5 dollars for a cup of coffee. 

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
2.1.18  JohnRussell  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @2.1.11    2 years ago

A couple years ago Whole Foods opened up a store in Englewood.  They announced a couple months ago it is closing. Im sure its not making enough profit by Whole Foods standards, and we know its all about profit. People in Englewood cant afford Whole Foods prices in any sort of mass way. 

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
2.1.19  Jasper2529  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @2.1.15    2 years ago
That photo was taken during the riots in CA in 2020. Hardly recent.

Two years ago isn't that long ago. And, why would that criticism even matter? Crime in Democrat-run cities certainly hasn't improved since 2020.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
2.1.20  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @2.1.15    2 years ago
Hardly recent.

Everything is fine now?

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
2.1.21  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @2.1.15    2 years ago
That photo was taken during the riots in CA in 2020.

That's not good enough?  The riots that democrat mayors endorsed and allowed to rage.

How can any democrat not feel a sense of guilt?

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
2.1.22  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  JohnRussell @2.1.17    2 years ago

I see.

I thought you cared about those communities?

Tessylo
Professor Principal
2.2  Tessylo  replied to  JohnRussell @2    2 years ago

I'm so sick of arrogant assholes blaming Democrats for everything.  

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
2.2.1  Ozzwald  replied to  Tessylo @2.2    2 years ago
I'm so sick of arrogant assholes blaming Democrats for everything.

What do you expect them to do?  Take responsibility???

Drinker of the Wry
Junior Expert
2.2.2  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  Ozzwald @2.2.1    2 years ago

Which ones are responsible for security at Hollywood and Vine, Hollywood and Western, Little Tokyo, Santa Monica Boulevard in West Hollywood or the Santa Monica Pier?

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
2.2.3  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @2.2.2    2 years ago

What about all the other democratic run cities that Starbucks is not closing?

Rather disingenuous and a global statement for wanting to cut losses.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
2.2.4  Tessylo  replied to  Ozzwald @2.2.1    2 years ago

No, easier to blame all their fuck ups on us.

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
2.2.5  Jasper2529  replied to  Ozzwald @2.2.1    2 years ago

Why should Republicans take responsibility for the increasing crime rates in cities/states run by Democrats?

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
2.2.6  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @2.2.3    2 years ago
What about all the other democratic run cities that Starbucks is not closing?

You mean like Boston?

It's blue, but safe!

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
2.2.7  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  Jasper2529 @2.2.5    2 years ago

Amazing isn't it?

Tessylo
Professor Principal
2.3  Tessylo  replied to  JohnRussell @2    2 years ago
"I also see nothing in the story that indicates that Schultz said the words "Democrat - run cities". 

Gee, that's a shocker.

I thought you weren't supposed to change the title of an 'article'

evilone
Professor Guide
2.4  evilone  replied to  JohnRussell @2    2 years ago
So they are closing roughly 1 out of every 1000 locations. And this is supposed to be a major news story? It is ridiculous.

He's being accused of closing stores where there is union activity. 

Tessylo
Professor Principal
2.4.1  Tessylo  replied to  evilone @2.4    2 years ago
"He's being accused of closing stores where there is union activity."

So that's the real story here.

Thanks EG!

evilone
Professor Guide
2.4.2  evilone  replied to  Tessylo @2.4.1    2 years ago
So that's the real story here.

Maybe, maybe not. We'll see.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
2.4.3  Tessylo  replied to  evilone @2.4.2    2 years ago

That's the real story I'm sure.  

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
2.5  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  JohnRussell @2    2 years ago
I also see nothing in the story that indicates that Schultz said the words "Democrat - run cities"

The very first fucking sentence in your article...................

"Starbucks CEO Howard Schultz said Democratic mayors and city councils have "abdicated their responsibility" in fighting crime and addressing mental illness"

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
2.5.1  JohnRussell  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @2.5    2 years ago

Let's see the quote. What you are showing is not a quote. 

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
2.5.2  JohnRussell  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @2.5    2 years ago

Seriously, they are closing 16 stores across the country. That is not even a minor blip. 'Why do you people want to argue about the obvious? 

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
2.5.3  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  JohnRussell @2.5.2    2 years ago

As in real estate John, it's location, location, location. Get it yet?

Drinker of the Wry
Junior Expert
2.5.4  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  JohnRussell @2.5.2    2 years ago

I understand that the western suburb of Beaverton is absorbing many of the closing businesses in downtown Portland. 

Nearly two years after COVID-19 shut down the city’s core, new data indicates that large numbers of visitors and workers still haven’t returned to downtown Portland.

The number of downtown visitors is off by 40% compared to prepandemic times, and the number of people working downtown is two-thirds lower. That’s according to a new study issued Wednesday by the Portland Business Alliance, which drew on aggregated smartphone location data.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
2.5.5  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @2.5    2 years ago
"Starbucks CEO Howard Schultz said Democratic mayors and city councils have "abdicated their responsibility" in fighting crime and addressing mental illness"

A very fair assessment.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
2.5.6  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  JohnRussell @2.5.1    2 years ago

You can't see that?

squiggy
Junior Silent
2.6  squiggy  replied to  JohnRussell @2    2 years ago
So they are closing roughly 1 out of every 1000 locations.

That randomizes the fact that the target stores are in shitholes and the likely real reason - that they have become underperformers. Companies who claim to champion employee safety are usually shocked when the sun rises.

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
3  Sean Treacy    2 years ago

chultz said he was "shocked" to hear from employees that "one of the primary concerns that our retail partners [baristas] have is their own personal safety."

Shows you how out of touch these idiots are. 

JaneDoe
Sophomore Silent
4  JaneDoe    2 years ago
In 2018, Starbucks implemented an "open bathrooms" policy

I guess they didn’t think that one through. 
I honestly could care less if every Starbucks closed down but this isn’t only Starbucks. Walgreens, CVS etc… are also closing down locations. 

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
5  Perrie Halpern R.A.    2 years ago

He never said democratic-run cities. This is what he said:

In my view, at the local, state, and federal level, these governments across the country and leaders — mayors, governors, and city councils — have abdicated their responsibility in fighting crime and addressing mental illness," he said.

You are interpreting what he actually said. Ironic since this crap came from the NYP, our rag paper, and not one single store is closing in NYC, a democratic runned city. 

Tessylo
Professor Principal
5.1  Tessylo  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @5    2 years ago

I thought you weren't supposed to change the title of the 'article'.  Isn't that against the rules here?

I guess that depends on who is posting the 'article'.