╌>

President Joe Biden tests positive for COVID-19

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  vic-eldred  •  2 years ago  •  89 comments

By:   Madeleine Hubbard (Just The News)

President Joe Biden tests positive for COVID-19
He is fully vaccinated

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

President Joe Biden tested positive for COVID-19 on Thursday morning, according to White House press secretary Karine Jean-Pierre.

Biden, 79, is fully vaccinated and double boosted. He is experiencing "experiencing very mild symptoms" and taking the COVID antiviral pill Paxlovid, according to a White House press release.

He will isolate at the White House where he will work remotely, Jean-Pierre stated.

"Out of an abundance of transparency, the White House will provide a daily update on the President's status as he continues to carry out the full duties of the office while in isolation," she pledged.

Biden is the highest-ranking politician to get COVID following a string of public officials who tested positive this summer.

On Tuesday, Jan. 6 committee chair Bennie Thompson (D-Miss.) announced that he tested positive for the virus. That same day, Illinois Democratic Gov. JB Pritzker also tested positive for COVID.

Last month, Chief White House Medical Advisor Dr. Anthony Fauci battled COVID.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
1  seeder  Vic Eldred    2 years ago

He has covid and cancer and asthma????

I'm sure they'll send him home to Delaware and we can all rest easy.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
2  JohnRussell    2 years ago

Politicians getting covid is no longer a shock, as it was when Trump got it and almost died. 

Tessylo
Professor Principal
2.1  Tessylo  replied to  JohnRussell @2    2 years ago

[removed]

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.2  Texan1211  replied to  JohnRussell @2    2 years ago

Is that what you hope for all who catch it?

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
2.2.1  JohnRussell  replied to  Texan1211 @2.2    2 years ago

What are you trolling about now?

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
2.2.2  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  Texan1211 @2.2    2 years ago

She said enough. 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.2.3  Texan1211  replied to  JohnRussell @2.2.1    2 years ago
What are you trolling about now?

If somehow you managed to not comprehend what I wrote, ask for clarification.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
2.2.4  JohnRussell  replied to  Texan1211 @2.2.3    2 years ago

I dont answer your idiotic questions. One would think you would know that by now. 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.2.5  Texan1211  replied to  JohnRussell @2.2.4    2 years ago

I see you avoiding most hard-to-answer questions.

Par for the course.

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
2.2.6  Jeremy Retired in NC  replied to  JohnRussell @2.2.4    2 years ago
I dont answer your idiotic questions

Don't or CAN'T?  You've shown many times you CAN'T.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
2.3  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  JohnRussell @2    2 years ago

Since you obviously want to make this about Trump:

Trump was in far better condition that Biden, both mentally and physically.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
2.3.1  JohnRussell  replied to  Vic Eldred @2.3    2 years ago

I believe he was the first really high placed person in government to get it. Since then there have been quite a few. Treatment is better and Biden is likely in much less of a serious condition than Trump was. If you want to consider that to be "making it about Trump" knock yourself out. 

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
2.3.2  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  JohnRussell @2.3.1    2 years ago
I believe he was the first really high placed peron in government to get it.

That's when the pandemic first arrived. Many in government got it.

Treatment is better and Biden is likely in much less of a serious condition than Trump was. 

The main thing is that the new strains are much weaker. Biden is very frail. He has trouble walking in case you missed it. I really want him to have a quick recovery, not because I like him, but because I know how anything happening to him could alter peoples view of him. I just want him alive and clueless.

If you want to consider that to be "making it about Trump" knock yourself out. 

It's always Trump with you and that's an understatement.

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
2.3.3  Jeremy Retired in NC  replied to  Vic Eldred @2.3    2 years ago

Do you honestly expect anything different?

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.3.4  Texan1211  replied to  Vic Eldred @2.3.2    2 years ago
It's always Trump with you and that's an understatement.

jrSmiley_81_smiley_image.gif

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
2.3.5  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  Jeremy Retired in NC @2.3.3    2 years ago

I came here in 2017. I'm tired of the rap.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.3.6  Texan1211  replied to  Jeremy Retired in NC @2.3.3    2 years ago
Do you honestly expect anything different?

Never ever.

goose is back
Sophomore Guide
2.4  goose is back  replied to  JohnRussell @2    2 years ago
Trump got it and almost died. 

JR, you say that like Trump is some feeble old man.  Didn't he jump through a window on Jan 6th and attack a Secret Service agent. Which is it? 

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
2.5  Jasper2529  replied to  JohnRussell @2    2 years ago
Politicians getting covid is no longer a shock,

Getting 2022 Covid variants aren't a shock to anyone and are rarely lethal. The symptoms are quite mild to non-existent. This is typical viral behavior. 

as it was when Trump got it and almost died. 

Trump "almost died" from Covid? That's news to me! He announced that he had [the original] Covid on Oct. 2, 2020 ... over 2 months before the first vaccines were available (Dec. 2020). Thanks to a swift, accurate diagnosis followed by medication(s) that doctors had at that time , he had a moderate case and was able to fully function within 8 days of initial diagnosis. Too bad blue state governors in MI, CA, NY, and NJ didn't follow Trump's physicians' science.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
3  Tessylo    2 years ago

Trump was in far better condition that Biden, both mentally and physically.

jrSmiley_86_smiley_image.gif jrSmiley_86_smiley_image.gif jrSmiley_86_smiley_image.gif

JaneDoe
Sophomore Silent
4  JaneDoe    2 years ago

I think he is a lousy President but I wish him luck and a full recovery.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
5  seeder  Vic Eldred    2 years ago

"I was sorry to hear that President Biden has tested positive for COVID-19. Wishing him a speedy recovery"...Mitch McConnell

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
6  Sean Treacy    2 years ago

Hope its a truly mild case, but it's odd he got Covid, since he promised to shut the virus down when he was elected. 

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
6.1  Ozzwald  replied to  Sean Treacy @6    2 years ago
Hope its a truly mild case, but it's odd he got Covid, since he promised to shut the virus down when he was elected.

Except he was elected after Easter, and a certain other President promised that it would magically disappear by Easter 2020.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
6.1.1  Texan1211  replied to  Ozzwald @6.1    2 years ago
Except he was elected after Easter, and a certain other President promised that it would magically disappear by Easter 2020.

So Biden is no different than Trump in that regard?

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
6.1.2  Sean Treacy  replied to  Texan1211 @6.1.1    2 years ago

Yeah, the “Biden’s no better than the person I’ve spent years calling a murderous monster  ” is quite the argument.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
6.1.3  Texan1211  replied to  Sean Treacy @6.1.2    2 years ago

LMAO!

squiggy
Junior Silent
6.1.4  squiggy  replied to  Ozzwald @6.1    2 years ago
it would magically disappear by Easter 2020.

So, you're saying that Trump promised to cure cancer and end world hunger?

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
6.1.5  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  squiggy @6.1.4    2 years ago
So, you're saying that Trump promised to cure cancer and world hunger?

Not cancer. Remember? Obama anointed Biden to do that.

squiggy
Junior Silent
6.1.6  squiggy  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @6.1.5    2 years ago

Yea, but I had to make some wild-ass deflection and assumption - have to try to communicate in a familiar form.

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
6.1.7  Ozzwald  replied to  Texan1211 @6.1.1    2 years ago

So Biden is no different than Trump in that regard?

Not sure.  Please provide a link to his quote so I can evaluate.  More than likely he never said that.

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
6.1.8  Ozzwald  replied to  squiggy @6.1.4    2 years ago

So, you're saying that Trump promised to cure cancer and end world hunger?

Can you read the English language?  I'm guessing not since you are not within 10 parsecs of anything I said.

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
6.1.9  Ozzwald  replied to  squiggy @6.1.6    2 years ago
Yea, but I had to make some wild-ass deflection

Ahhhh, you're just trolling.  Nice of you to admit it.

squiggy
Junior Silent
6.1.10  squiggy  replied to  Ozzwald @6.1.9    2 years ago

"Ahhhh, you're just trolling."

Now, you're saying I caused monkeypox?

SteevieGee
Professor Silent
6.2  SteevieGee  replied to  Sean Treacy @6    2 years ago

He went on to say that in order to eliminate Covid he would need the support of the American people.  Did you help with your support?  Did you get vaccinated and wear masks and avoid people?  If not, IT'S YOUR FAULT.

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
6.2.2  Jasper2529  replied to  SteevieGee @6.2    2 years ago
Did you get vaccinated and wear masks and avoid people?  If not, IT'S YOUR FAULT.

As we've learned, vaccines, boosters, masks, and avoiding people are rarely effective. Even Fauci has said this. We've come a long way from March 2020, thanks to Operation Warp Speed.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
6.2.3  Tessylo  replied to  Jasper2529 @6.2.2    2 years ago

"As we've learned, vaccines, boosters, masks, and avoiding people are rarely effective. Even Fauci has said this."

That's not true.

You're 'learning' lots of things that aren't true.

Post Dr. Fauci saying this.  

TᵢG
Professor Principal
6.2.4  TᵢG  replied to  Jasper2529 @6.2.2    2 years ago
As we've learned, vaccines, boosters, masks, and avoiding people are rarely effective.

Vaccines and boosters are rarely effective?   Where on Earth do you get this notion?

Masks are effective within limits and only as an additional measure.

Avoiding people (literally) is not effective??  

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
6.2.5  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  TᵢG @6.2.4    2 years ago

Well Mr. Fourshots got it

Tessylo
Professor Principal
6.2.6  Tessylo  replied to  TᵢG @6.2.4    2 years ago
"As we've learned, vaccines, boosters, masks, and avoiding people are rarely effective."

"Vaccines and boosters are rarely effective?   Where on Earth do you get this notion?

Masks are effective within limits and only as an additional measure.

Avoiding people (literally) is not effective?? " 

I'm still waiting for the citations on that ignorance.  

TᵢG
Professor Principal
6.2.7  TᵢG  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @6.2.5    2 years ago

Where did you get the idea that breakthrough infections are not possible?

The vaccinations and boosters reduce the likelihood and severity of infection.   Nobody has ever claimed that vaccinations+boosters means it is impossible to get a breakthrough infection.

'Effective' does not mean 100% guarantee against infection nor has anyone of medical/scientific credibility ever suggested anything like that.

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
6.2.8  Jasper2529  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @6.2.5    2 years ago

So did Kamala, Fauci, Pelosi, Susan Collins ... the list of vaxxed and boosted who then got Covid is long.

Tacos!
Professor Guide
6.2.9  Tacos!  replied to  Jasper2529 @6.2.8    2 years ago
the list of vaxxed and boosted who then got Covid is long

The list of vaccinated and boosted people who have died from Covid is mercifully short, though. Not so much for the unvaccinated.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
6.2.10  TᵢG  replied to  Jasper2529 @6.2.8    2 years ago

Again, breakthrough infections are nothing new.   The severity of the infection varies considerably depending upon one's vaccination status.   

Do you actually believe that the vaccinations and boosters are ineffective??

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
6.2.11  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  TᵢG @6.2.7    2 years ago
Where did you get the idea that breakthrough infections are not possible?

Perhaps from this guy...............................

'You're not going to get covid if you have these vaccinations.'

TᵢG
Professor Principal
6.2.12  TᵢG  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @6.2.11    2 years ago

As many of us suggested earlier when Trump was speaking about medical science, it is unwise (foolish) to get your medical information from a politician.

In the case of the pandemic, use sources such as the CDC, WHO, etc. and do not literally follow words uttered by a politician on this matter.

As I noted earlier:

TiG@6.3.6 ☞  Biden is not a medical authority.    He oversimplified his message to the point of being wrong.   Follow the science is far superior than following the politician in matters of science.

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
6.2.13  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  TᵢG @6.2.12    2 years ago

You don't think I know that? I was just making a point that there has always been misinformation on this thing because it is still such an unknown. I remember when I was in the ICU over a year ago with it that they just kept throwing things at me hoping to the point where they started contemplating the ventilator. That scared the shit out of me. And anyone who tells you there is not such thing as mind over matter, may be wrong. I'm glad I had the med staff that I did.

PS, my vax was scheduled the very next week but I didn't make it........

TᵢG
Professor Principal
6.2.14  TᵢG  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @6.2.13    2 years ago
I was just making a point that there has always been misinformation on this thing because it is still such an unknown.

Well one thing that should not be misunderstood is that vaccines and boosters do protect us from infection and do reduce the severity of breakthrough infections.

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
6.2.15  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  TᵢG @6.2.14    2 years ago

I know about the severity but if there are breakthrough infections, they don't protect all of us all of the time

TᵢG
Professor Principal
6.2.16  TᵢG  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @6.2.15    2 years ago

Good grief Jim, I have repeatedly stated that the vaccinations and boosters do not guarantee 100% protection.

More important, however, is the fact that no medical authority has even implied 100% protection.   There is always the caveat that no matter what it is still possible to be infected.

Vaccinations and boosters mitigate getting infected but if a breakthrough occurs the symptoms are typically less severe and death is far less likely.

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
6.2.17  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  TᵢG @6.2.16    2 years ago

I know all that...........but there is no disputing what I stated. They don't protect ALL of us ALL of the time. And it sounds as though you agree so there is really no sense in beating this horse anymore...........I understand completely what you are saying and I agree with most of it.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
6.2.18  TᵢG  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @6.2.17    2 years ago
... but there is no disputing what I stated. They don't protect ALL of us ALL of the time.

Jim, what on Earth is driving you to keep insisting on that which I have stated upfront?   It is common knowledge that the vaccines do not protect ALL of us ALL of the time.  

I understand completely what you are saying and I agree with most of it.

Then what is the point of replying to me and basically restating what I have stated?   

If you understand that vaccines and boosters mitigate getting infected and reduce the severity of the symptoms and you understand that nobody has stated that they provide 100% protection then there is no disagreement.   This back and forth is utterly pointless.

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
6.2.19  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  TᵢG @6.2.18    2 years ago

[Deleted I] know all of that and understand what you are saying!! Again there is no need to keep beating it to death. To keep doing it is a medium form of trolling until I state EXACTLY your opinion. So respond again if you must but I am done.

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
6.2.20  Jasper2529  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @6.2.13    2 years ago

I'm very glad that you pulled through, Jim. 2020 and 2021 were a time of conflicting, and often wrong, information put out by the CDC, WHO, Fauci, Birx, Collins, and much of it was unscientific. As a result of that, our economy, businesses, and children suffered the most. 

igknorantzrulz
PhD Quiet
6.2.21  igknorantzrulz  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @6.2.19    2 years ago

Cheese N Crackers  JJNT

WHO needed the last word again ?  YOU  r the one who seems conflicted about HAVING to agree with TiG

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
6.3  Jasper2529  replied to  Sean Treacy @6    2 years ago

I hope so, too. What I find even odder is that exactly one year ago, Biden said that if we've been vaccinated, we cannot get Covid. Around that same time, he, Kamala, Fauci, and several others also said that Covid was a disease of the unvaccinated. "Follow the science"? 

Tessylo
Professor Principal
6.3.1  Tessylo  replied to  Jasper2529 @6.3    2 years ago
"Biden said that if we've been vaccinated, we cannot get Covid"
President Biden never said that.  

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
6.3.2  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  Jasper2529 @6.3    2 years ago

He sure did...................

'You're not going to get covid if you have these vaccinations.'

Tessylo
Professor Principal
6.3.3  Tessylo  replied to  Jasper2529 @6.3    2 years ago

Never said it.

Tacos!
Professor Guide
6.3.4  Tacos!  replied to  Jasper2529 @6.3    2 years ago
What I find even odder is that exactly one year ago, Biden said that if we've been vaccinated, we cannot get Covid

That was never 100% true, of course. The Pfizer and Moderna vaccines were always advertised as being 94%-95% effective against infection - not 100%. But a year ago, we were barely starting the Delta variant, so Biden’s claim wasn’t far wrong.

A year ago, in July of 2021, 98%-99% of people who were dying from Covid were unvaccinated .

Since then, the virus has mutated rapidly and the vaccines - based on the Alpha virus - are now mainly useful for inhibiting serious illness and death.

I think if Americans had gotten vaccinated right away (like in the first 6 months of availability) it would have saved a lot of lives, but it would not have ended the pandemic. There is no way we could ever have vaccinated 7 billion people that quickly. Meanwhile, the virus has mutated much faster than vaccines could keep up with.

Around that same time, he, Kamala, Fauci, and several others also said that Covid was a disease of the unvaccinated.

It was, as I showed above. But also, it still is. Current data is that if you are unvaccinated, you have about a 17X greater chance of dying  from Covid than if you are vaccinated and boosted.

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
6.3.5  Jasper2529  replied to  Tessylo @6.3.3    2 years ago
Never said it.
Feel free to watch the video in the Newsweek article that's linked in comment 6.3.2

TᵢG
Professor Principal
6.3.6  TᵢG  replied to  Jasper2529 @6.3    2 years ago
Biden said that if we've been vaccinated, we cannot get Covid.

Biden is not a medical authority.    He oversimplified his message to the point of being wrong.

Follow the science is far superior than following the politician in matters of science.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
6.3.7  Tessylo  replied to  Jasper2529 @6.3.5    2 years ago

No need.

bugsy
Professor Participates
6.3.8  bugsy  replied to  Jasper2529 @6.3.5    2 years ago

[Deleted]

TᵢG
Professor Principal
8  TᵢG    2 years ago

First, I do not want to see anyone get infected with COVID-19.

Second, it is well known that fully vaccinated people can be infected.   What happens is that the symptoms are much milder than if unvaccinated.

Third, if something happens to Biden, Harris will be PotUS.

I recommend we all wish the very best recovery for Biden.

Freewill
Junior Quiet
8.1  Freewill  replied to  TᵢG @8    2 years ago
What happens is that the symptoms are much milder than if unvaccinated

Indeed and I think the latest strain is not as potent as previous strains, yet apparently much more contagious.  Both my wife and I got it from my son, she was not vaccinated but my son and I were.  All of us had similar mild symptoms, fatigue being the worst of them.  Being diabetic I was worried about the comorbidity issue but it wasn't bad (although it did raise my blood sugars a bit for awhile).  I took the Paxlovid, my wife and son did not, and we all recovered in less than a week, other than a bit of lingering fatigue and she had a slight cough for another few days.

I'm hoping President Biden will recover quickly as well!

TᵢG
Professor Principal
8.1.1  TᵢG  replied to  Freewill @8.1    2 years ago

Glad to hear that you folks came through it okay.   Biden will have great care but his immune system is still that of a near octogenarian.

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
8.1.2  sandy-2021492  replied to  Freewill @8.1    2 years ago

My dad and sister both got it.  My mom and I, who were in the same house that weekend, didn't.  Dad was feeling better in about 2 days.  My sis took about 5 days to feel better.  Neither was very sick.  Neither took Paxlovid.  Both were fully vaccinated.  Dad is diabetic, too, so I worried, but it was pretty much like a bad cold for him.  Sis was hit harder, but some of her symptoms might have been from the heat.  She was visiting WV from Wisconsin, and hadn't acclimated to the heat, and my parents' AC chose that week to die.

Freewill
Junior Quiet
8.1.3  Freewill  replied to  sandy-2021492 @8.1.2    2 years ago
She was visiting WV from Wisconsin, and hadn't acclimated to the heat, and my parents' AC chose that week to die.

Yikes! Bad timing for sure, did she get a fever at any point?

It takes awhile to get acclimated to a new environment for sure.  A group of my baseball buddies from all over the state gathered recently for a golf tournament in central California.  Four rounds in 3 days.  The first night we had dinner at a restaurant in town where the daytime temps were north of 105 deg.  It does cool down a little though in the evenings (upper 70s, lower 80s) and two of the guys who are from Palm Desert actually ran back out to their car to get their jackets!  Imagine that!  Needles to say, pushing 100 deg on the golf course in the middle of the day was a walk in the park for them.

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
8.1.4  sandy-2021492  replied to  Freewill @8.1.3    2 years ago

They both had fevers, but not very high.  I think the heat kept her from getting the sleep she needed to feel better.

My mom needs a jacket when it gets below 80.  And Dad thinks the house is cold when it's 76.  I'm not quite sure why they bothered getting AC.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
9  Tessylo    2 years ago

"Second, it is well known that fully vaccinated people can be infected.   What happens is that the symptoms are much milder than if unvaccinated."

Some people pretend that isn't the case.

bugsy
Professor Participates
10  bugsy    2 years ago

So, by liberal standards, when a sitting president contracts COVID, we are to post texts, tweets, write articles hoping for the worst for that president, even wishing death.

After all, we saw that incessantly when Trump caught it.

Funny, I haven't seen any of the same from the right towards Biden. In fact, I have seen nothing but best wishes and a speedy recovery.

Maybe (probably) its because most of us on the right have ethics, morals. We don't normally see that from most on the left.

Tacos!
Professor Guide
11  Tacos!    2 years ago

I’m honestly surprised it took this long.

He should be fine. He’s getting way better healthcare than the rest of us are.

squiggy
Junior Silent
11.1  squiggy  replied to  Tacos! @11    2 years ago

Easy as riding a bicycle.

Nerm_L
Professor Expert
12  Nerm_L    2 years ago

Well, the Biden administration has finally reported a tangible positive result.  And, as usual, the reported result is bad.

It's beginning to appear as though COVID is inevitable.  So, it's difficult to have sympathy for what is inevitable.  As long as the treatments work there shouldn't be a problem.  Or so we have been told.

Someone does need to pick up the slack while Biden recovers.  Mild symptoms doesn't mean Biden can simply ignore COVID.  Biden being too active during recovery will only prolong that recovery and possibly worsen the outcome.  Have a heart, take a pause, and carry part of the load.  Unfortunately there are too many political opportunists who will seize the moment to really screw things up.