╌>

The unlikely bond between Julia Roberts and Martin Luther King Jr | Julia Roberts | The Guardian

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  kavika  •  2 years ago  •  6 comments

By:   the Guardian

The unlikely bond between Julia Roberts and Martin Luther King Jr | Julia Roberts | The Guardian
The civil rights activist and his wife paid the hospital bill for the birth of the actor because her parents couldn't afford it

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

The civil rights activist and his wife paid the hospital bill for the birth of the actor because her parents couldn't afford it

Roberts first disclosed the connection to Gayle King in September during an event in Washington DC. Composite: AP, Getty Roberts first disclosed the connection to Gayle King in September during an event in Washington DC. Composite: AP, Getty

An astounding but little-known fact about Julia Roberts has resurfaced after her recent 55th birthday prompted a consultant to call attention to a link between the actor's birth and revered civil rights activist Martin Luther King Jr.

'It felt like history itself' - 48 protest photographs that changed the world Read more

Roberts, whose birthday was 28 October, first shared the story about the day she was born with journalist Gayle King this September in Washington DC during a HISTORYTalks live event for the History Channel. That day, she said during the talk, the activist known to many simply as MLK - as well as his fellow civil rights champion and wife Coretta Scott King - paid off the hospital bill for her birth because Roberts's parents were poor and couldn't afford it.

Today is Julia Roberts birthday! 55 years ago MLK and Coretta Scott King paid for her parents hospital bill after she was born. Can't stop thinking about this since I read it. Here she is talking about it with @GayleKinghttps://t.co/5HvpNSUIYbpic.twitter.com/147x6d807W
— Zara Rahim (@ZaraRahim) October 28, 2022

A tweet from consultant Zara Rahim about that story went viral over the weekend, and many people learned about it for the first time.

In Roberts's words to Gayle King, who is not related to the late civil rights activists who share her last name, Martin Luther King Jr and Coretta Scott helped her parents because "they couldn't pay for the hospital".

"They helped us out of a jam," Roberts said.

Roberts explained how her parents, Walter and Betty Roberts, ran a theater school in Atlanta where the Kings' children attended and got to know the couple that way.

Roberts said: "One day Coretta Scott King called my mother and asked if her kids could be part of the school because they were having a hard time finding a place that would accept her kids."

This 1966 file photo is the last official portrait taken of the entire King family, made in the study of Ebenezer Baptist Church in Atlanta. Photograph: MBR/AP

The star of Pretty Woman and Erin Brockovich said her mother welcomed the Kings' children to enroll.

Gayle King said it was remarkable to see Black and white children interacting together when Roberts was born in 1967, at the height of Martin Luther King Jr and Coretta Scott King's advocacy for civil rights. Martin Luther King Jr was assassinated by a white supremacist within six months of Roberts's birth.

According to CNN, Walter and Betty Roberts ran the only integrated children's theater group in Atlanta at the time.

The youngest of Martin Luther King Jr and Coretta Scott King's four children, daughter Bernice, on Monday expressed gratitude to Roberts on Twitter for having shared the heartwarming story.

Grateful that #JuliaRoberts shared this story with @GayleKing and that so many people have been awed by it.
I know the story well, but it is moving for me to be reminded of my parents' generosity and influence.#CorettaScottKing#MLKpic.twitter.com/Hn9yOVxYIL

— Be A King (@BerniceKing) October 31, 2022

"Grateful that #JuliaRoberts shared this story with @GayleKing and that so many people have been awed by it," Bernice King wrote on Twitter. "I know the story well, but it is moving for me to be reminded of my parents' generosity and influence. #CorettaScottKing #MLK."

Coretta Scott King died in 2006.

Topics

• Julia Roberts
  • Martin Luther King
  • news

Reuse this content

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Kavika
Professor Principal
1  seeder  Kavika     2 years ago

An amazing piece of history because Julia's parents accepted the Kings children into their school when it was not something that was done in that area.

devangelical
Professor Principal
1.1  devangelical  replied to  Kavika @1    2 years ago

cool story.

Kavika
Professor Principal
1.1.1  seeder  Kavika   replied to  devangelical @1.1    2 years ago

It really is a cool story. I became a fan of Julia Roberts when I saw the movie, Erin Brockovich and when I read MLK's book, ''Why We Can't Wait'' back in the 60s I knew that was the real deal. This passage from the book was stuck with me for decades. 

Martin Luther King & Indigenous Peoples Civil Rights
Few know that Dr. Martin Luther King was a great freedom fighter for Native
Americans and the horrific mistreatment to them by the U.S. government.
King wrote in his 1963 book "Why We Can't Wait” which outlined the historic
injustices inflicted on Native people:

"Our nation was born in genocide when it embraced the doctrine that the
original American, the Indian, was an inferior race. Even before there were
large numbers of Negroes on our shores, the scar of racial hatred had
already disfigured colonial society. From the sixteenth century forward,
blood flowed in battles of racial supremacy. We are perhaps the only nation
which tried as a matter of national policy to wipe out its Indigenous
population. Moreover, we elevated that tragic experience into a noble
crusade. Indeed, even today we have not permitted ourselves to reject or
feel remorse for this shameful episode. Our literature, our films, our drama,
our folklore all exalt it."

Unfortunately, these words still ring true to this day in so many respects.
Dr. King was a fighter for all of the oppressed of this land. He assisted
Native people in south Alabama in the late 1950s. At that time the Pouch
Band of Creek Indians were completely desegregate schools in their area.
Native children were allowed to ride school buses to previously all white 

schools, while dark-skinned Indian children from the same band were barred
from riding the same buses. Tribal leaders, upon hearing of King's
desegregation campaign in Birmingham, Ala., contacted him for assistance.
He responded and through his intervention the problem was quickly
resolved.

At the 1964 March on Washington there was a Native American presence.
Dr. King’s civil rights movement motivated the Native American rights
movement of the 1960s. The Native American Rights Fund (NARF) was
patterned after the NAACP's Legal Defense and Education Fund.
By 1900 there were only 237,196 Native Americans left in the entire
country, this from an original population that numbered in the tens of
millions. King spoke out that the genocide of American Indians was "national
policy." As late as the 1890s the U.S. Congress was debating the outright
military extermination of all remaining Native Americans. The reason this
nefarious plan was not carried out was because it would be too expensive.

Poor, minority areas, toxic exposures, equality, inequality, race, minority
neighborhoods, EJ, environmental justice, social rights, articles, article,
minority, minorities, social justice, civil rights, environmental rights,
pollutants, pollution, ethics, Public heath, poverty, human rights, social equality, justice, Indigenous people.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
1.1.2  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Kavika @1.1.1    2 years ago

I never knew this. Thank you for sharing it with us. MLK was truly a great man, who spoke out for freedom for all. 

Kavika
Professor Principal
1.1.3  seeder  Kavika   replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @1.1.2    2 years ago
MLK was truly a great man, who spoke out for freedom for all. 

Yes he was and his actions always backed up his words.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
2  Buzz of the Orient    2 years ago

That's a really nice story.