╌>

Nets suspend Kyrie Irving after he failed to say he has no antisemitic beliefs

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  perrie-halpern  •  2 years ago  •  35 comments

By:   Phil Helsel

Nets suspend Kyrie Irving after he failed to say he has no antisemitic beliefs
The Brooklyn Nets suspended star player Kyrie Irving on Thursday as the controversy over his tweet with a link to an antisemitic movie grows.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

Link copied Nov. 4, 2022, 12:09 AM UTC / Updated Nov. 4, 2022, 4:38 AM UTC By Phil Helsel

The Brooklyn Nets suspended star player Kyrie Irving on Thursday as the controversy over his tweet with a link to an antisemitic movie grows.

The Nets said that during a media appearance earlier in the day, Irving failed to declare that he has no antisemitic beliefs or acknowledge the content of the film.

"We were dismayed today, when given an opportunity in a media session, that Kyrie refused to unequivocally say he has no antisemitic beliefs, nor acknowledge specific hateful material in the film," the Nets said in a statement. "This was not the first time he had the opportunity — but failed — to clarify."

LA-NNWEB-20221103-0001_Kyrie_Controvesy_Gosk_EDIT_mixdown_frame_234-s9v5x1.jpg

NBA star Kyrie Irving under fire for antisemitic post

The team said he would be suspended without pay for at least five games, and "until he satisfies a series of objective remedial measures that address the harmful impact of his conduct."

Irving has been roundly criticized since last week, when he tweeted a link to the 2018 movie "Hebrews to Negroes: Wake Up Black America," which is based on Ronald Dalton's book of the same name.

NBA Commissioner Adam Silver said Thursday the movie includes "deeply offensive antisemitic material."

Silver also said Irving's statements since the controversy erupted have fallen short.

"I am disappointed that he has not offered an unqualified apology and more specifically denounced the vile and harmful content contained in the film he chose to publicize," Silver said in part in a statement.

In an Instagram post Thursday night Irving offered an apology.

"To All Jewish families and Communities that are hurt and affected from my post, I am deeply sorry to have caused you pain, and I apologize," Irving wrote. "I initially reacted out of emotion to being unjustly labeled Anti-Semitic, instead of focusing on the healing process of my Jewish Brothers and Sisters that were hurt from the hateful remarks made in the Documentary."

Earlier Thursday at the media availability, Irving told reporters several times that he did not make the film and that some things in it were untrue. He specified: "I think some of the criticism of the Jewish faith and the community, for sure. Some points made in there that were unfortunate."

When he was asked whether he had antisemitic beliefs, he said: "I respect all walks of life and embrace all walks of life. That's where I sit."

Pressed for a yes or a no, Irving responded: "I cannot be antisemitic if I know where I come from."

The Nets said in Thursday's statement that his responses were insufficient.

"Such failure to disavow antisemitism when given a clear opportunity to do so is deeply disturbing, is against the values of our organization, and constitutes conduct detrimental to the team," the team said. "Accordingly, we are of the view that he is currently unfit to be associated with the Brooklyn Nets."

Irving and the Nets announced Wednesday that they were donating $500,000 each to organizations and causes that fight hate and that they would work with the Anti-Defamation League. Irving said in that statement that he did not mean any harm and that he opposes all forms of hate.

Anti-Defamation League CEO Jonathan Greenblatt said the organization will not accept Irving's donation. He tweeted that the suspension was well-deserved.

"We were optimistic but after watching the debacle of a press conference, it's clear that Kyrie feels no accountability for his actions," Greenblatt wrote. The ADL "cannot in good conscience accept his donation," he wrote.

In his Instagram post Thursday night, Irving said he should have handled things differently.

He said he posted a film "that contained some false anti-Semitic statements, narratives, and language that were untrue and offensive."

Irving said he didn't mean to perpetuate hate. "I am learning from this unfortunate event and hope we can find understanding between us all," Irving wrote.

Irving joined the Nets in 2019. He is set to make about $37 million this season.

Irving played in just 29 games last season, in large part because of his refusal to get vaccinated against Covid-19, in violation of city codes mandating the shot at the time.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
1  seeder  Perrie Halpern R.A.    2 years ago

Here is what Charles Barkley said days ago:

CB
Professor Principal
1.1  CB  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @1    2 years ago
See video version on Twitter link below:
"I think the NBA dropped the ball," Barkley said. "I think he should have been suspended. I think [commissioner Adam Silver] should have suspended him. First of all, Adam's Jewish. ... You're gonna insult me, you have the right. But I have the right to say, 'No, you're not gonna take my $40 million and insult my religion.'

"I think the NBA made a mistake. We have suspended and fined people who have made homophobic slurs, and that was the right thing to do. I think if you insult the Black community, you should be suspended or fined heavily. I saw they did the same thing with [Minnesota Timberwolves guard Anthony Edwards] when he made the gay slur. I think you should get suspended or fined. [Irving] acknowledging the Alex Jones thing, something should have happened with that, too, cause that dude's crazy."

"I can't believe that we ain't talking about basketball," Barkley added. "We're talking about this idiot."

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
1.2  Vic Eldred  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @1    2 years ago

Perrie, you are much kinder than I am. By using the reaction of Charles Barkley, you preempted me from saying what needs to be said. I am going to say it anyway:

Weren't many American Jews at the forefront of the Civil Rights movement of the 1960's?  How did certain people forget that?

Why do we have anti-Semitism from the likes of Louis Farrakhan and the ass at the center of this story?

Nowhere Man
Junior Guide
1.2.1  Nowhere Man  replied to  Vic Eldred @1.2    2 years ago
How did certain people forget that?

Cause they are bigots in their own hearts... it's the easiest way to spot and recognize them for what they are....

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
1.2.2  Vic Eldred  replied to  Nowhere Man @1.2.1    2 years ago

American Jews gave their lives for the Civil Rights Movement:

"Three civil rights workers, Andrew Goodman, Michael Schwerner, and James Chaney, disappear in Philadelphia, Mississippi. Schwerner and Goodman were "Freedom Riders" from New York who traveled to the Deep South to help register African-Americans to vote. Their bodies were found six weeks later, and several Ku Klux Klan members and law enforcement officers were tried for the murders."

th?id=OIP.s4gnDxXIrntSW3TDXulfMwHaE-&pid=Api&P=0

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
1.2.3  seeder  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Nowhere Man @1.2.1    2 years ago

Who are you calling bigots?

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
1.2.4  seeder  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Vic Eldred @1.2    2 years ago

Vic,

I have said that often. That Jews were very involved in civil rights and now it seems that some in the black community seem to have forgotten that.

Louis Farrakhan has a gutter mouth and it's a shame it's so big that it gets attention.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
1.2.5  Vic Eldred  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @1.2.4    2 years ago

How could they forget?

Nowhere Man
Junior Guide
1.2.6  Nowhere Man  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @1.2.3    2 years ago
Who are you calling bigots?

People like Farrakhan, or some on this board who do the same thing...

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
1.2.7  Thrawn 31  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @1.2.4    2 years ago

Anti-semitism within the black community has always perplexed me. If any group, especially in America, can sympathize with the black community it is the Jews. Who else has been persecuted, scapegoated, and punished for shit that they had nothing to do with, than Jews? Jews played a big role in the civil rights movement, and yet still you have assholes like Irving delving into anti-semitism. 

Anti-semitism generally confuses me though. It is most prominently carried out by the other 2 monotheistic religions, which are more or less additions to Judaism. As far as I can tell, the fans of the sequels,  Muslims and Christians, hate the original and its fans because..... absolute blank. I just do not understand anti-semitism from monotheists.

Nowhere Man
Junior Guide
1.2.8  Nowhere Man  replied to  Thrawn 31 @1.2.7    2 years ago
I just do not understand anti-semitism from monotheists.

I can't understand it from any group, how can a person be less than another? we are all human aren't we?

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
2  Buzz of the Orient    2 years ago

He deserves whatever punishment is meted out to him, but I do have a concern that among his fans it is going to cause a backlash which will not be positive for Jews. 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.1  Texan1211  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @2    2 years ago

To be honest, I kind of doubt Irving has many real fans left.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
2.1.1  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Texan1211 @2.1    2 years ago

I hope you're right.  But a little advice, Tex.  Don't use the expression "To be honest" because when you DON'T use that expression, one might doubt that what you are saying is true.  LOL

Revillug
Freshman Participates
3  Revillug    2 years ago

I've never been too worried about "Jews replacing" me.

But Kyrie Irving might want to get a clue.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
4  Texan1211    2 years ago

Kyrie Irving is a cancer to any team he is on, and no team should pay him for what he does.

The NBA should suspend him for at least a month if not the season.

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
4.1  Thrawn 31  replied to  Texan1211 @4    2 years ago

He can score, but aside from that he hurts every team he has been on. Duke would be the exception, except he was injured for basically the entire season so you can't even hold that up. 

And for real, the rise in anti-semitism should worry most everyone. Don't get me wrong, Judaism is dumb as fuck like all the other religions, ESPECIALLY the monotheistic ones, but hatred and violence against Jews is often a sign of things to come. As anti-semitism grows, other minorities should become more worried, because history shows time and again that they aren't far behind. 

Revillug
Freshman Participates
4.1.1  Revillug  replied to  Thrawn 31 @4.1    2 years ago
Judaism is dumb as fuck like all the other religions,

What I have read about Tikkun Olam sounds pretty cool.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
4.1.2  seeder  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Revillug @4.1.1    2 years ago
Tikkun Olam

For those who don't know what that is, it means to repair the world. Jews are obligated to do that. 

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
4.1.3  Thrawn 31  replied to  Revillug @4.1.1    2 years ago

You can cherry pick anything and make it sound good :)

Gotta take things in their entirety though. 

Nowhere Man
Junior Guide
4.1.4  Nowhere Man  replied to  Thrawn 31 @4.1.3    2 years ago
You can cherry pick anything and make it sound good

You can also cherry pick something out and make it sound very very bad... (an example is the claims of white supremacism of John Wayne based upon one single statement)

The thing I think is lost on those making such statements is that they have lost all compassion and understanding and have decided to take the easy path to substituting their own bigotry in place of reasoned intelligence...

ie. Taking the easy way out of complicated issues, a demonstrated lack of intelligence...

CB
Professor Principal
5  CB    2 years ago

Today, I got an audiobook version of: Hebrews To Negroes: Wake Up Black America.  By Ronald Dalton, Jr.  

I am on Chapter 3 of a 36 hours audiobook. So it will be a while before I can 'report' or summary my perspective of what is going on really with these stars in various industries. But, I will be fair to everyone's points of view in the end. That is, where they are right or wrong from my view, I will let it be known.

CB
Professor Principal
5.1  CB  replied to  CB @5    2 years ago

Still "researching," that is listening to this audiobook, it is 50 chapters long. . . and trust me up to Chapter 6, the author of Hebrews To Negroes: Wake Up Black America is definitely questioning some "sacred cows" such as: 1. Why is the Middle East called such?  2. Were the original Jews black?  3. Jesus was a black person.

Highly controversial "information"!

CB
Professor Principal
5.1.1  CB  replied to  CB @5.1    2 years ago

Half way through 50 chapters of Hebrews To Negroes: Wake Up Black America; this book is DEFINITELY anti-semitic.

al Jizzerror
Masters Expert
6  al Jizzerror    2 years ago

Kyrie Irving demonstrated his stupidity by refusing to get a COVID vaccination.

Butt, I'm not surprised that an anti-vaxxer is also anti-Semitic.

Maybe "Ye" (Kayne West) will start a new NBA ("Nazi Basketball Assholes") and Kyrie can be a charter member.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
6.1  Texan1211  replied to  al Jizzerror @6    2 years ago
Butt, I'm not surprised that an anti-vaxxer is also anti-Semitic.

That is one hell of a stretch to try to connect the two separate things!

CB
Professor Principal
7  CB    2 years ago

For discussion: Who are the children of Ham? Where are they today?

NOTE: I am searching because all of this I have not delved into before.

(Caution: There may be a 'hot' topic here. And, I am still listening to this very long audio-book!)

CB
Professor Principal
8  CB    2 years ago

Candace Owens supports Kyrie Irving's situational predicament and offers a consideration on what he posted which should have been innocuous on its face:

Check this out. IMPORTANT: The first 'half' hour is about Kryie's predicament. The second 'half' is about Nancy Pelosi and husband being assaulted.

Do keep in mind that interdispersed in the Kryie Irving mentioning is Owen's (usual) railings against democrats, but to a limited degree:

(If it is too slow for your 'taste' - use the setting 'wheel' to speed it up!

Why I'm Not Turning My Back on Kyrie Irving | Ep. 36

CB
Professor Principal
9  CB    2 years ago
Kyrie Irving Speaks Out on IG Live with Confidence and Wisdom

On Sunday, November 13, 2022: Kyrie Irving says he hold no hatred toward any race of people. But, he (and other millennials and Gen-Zers) should prepared to "shake some shit up" in the system; plan to shift the consciousness of the country.

Drinker of the Wry
Junior Expert
9.1  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  CB @9    2 years ago
Kyrie Irving Speaks Out on IG Live with Confidence and Wisdom

Wisdom?  Ambiguity doesn't equal wisdom.

CB
Professor Principal
9.1.1  CB  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @9.1    2 years ago

I didn't write the caption, Drinker. The captions are a 'system' matter, I guess. Keep in mind, sometimes it is not the speaker 'authoring' to YouTube.

Incidentally, what is your perspective on comment 8 where Candace Owens is speaking up for Kyrie from a conservative point of view?

Drinker of the Wry
Junior Expert
9.1.2  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  CB @9.1.1    2 years ago

I have no issue with Candace Owens comments and I think that her standing up and clearly articulating her unpopular position is commendable.  

Drinker of the Wry
Junior Expert
10  Drinker of the Wry    2 years ago

Black Hebrew Israelites have formed the Israelite Church of God in Jesus Christ.  Jermaine Grant AKA Chief High Priest Tazadaqyah has declared himself the "Holy Spirit" and "The Comforter." He also has prophesied that a vengeful black Jesus would soon return to earth to kill or enslave all whites. 

They stage amusing, confrontational street theater.  They were the group in the middle of the 2019, faux dust-up between Nicholas Sandmann and Nathan Phillips by the Lincoln Memorial.  

CB
Professor Principal
10.1  CB  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @10    2 years ago

Thank you for your participation on this. I don't vouch for this group. I don't even vouch for the 'issues' that are occurring in this moment and time between Irving, Ye, and some others. What I am interested in is it playing out; I continue to listen to the audiobook on the topic on Audible. I consider it research. That said, it is, some of it is, very interesting!

CB
Professor Principal
11  CB    2 years ago
Kanye West Shows Chart Of Powerful Jews, Apologizes For George Floyd Comments, Talks MAGA Hat & More

This is in furtherance of this discussion (that apparently is not happening) here. I do want to be clear: I don't want to play around with any group's sensitivities at any time. But, I am a seeker after knowledge from everywhere. There is something taking place and I really think it ought to be heard and borne out so that a lie, . . .or set of lies,. . . can be 'thrust' into the sunlight where all of us of goodwill can deal with it.

NOTE:  Apparently, Dave Chappelle waded into the "situational discussion" on SNL last week.

In my opinion: This video above by Ye misses the 'mark.' On one hand he is trying to prove a statement he made about Jews and on the other hand he says (with his lips) that he wants to be forgiven and show humility for being (overly) offensive. I don't agree with his approach in the video. I think he is managing this all wrong, personally.