╌>

Record number of Republicans say they back party over Trump: Poll

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  gregtx  •  2 years ago  •  27 comments

Record number of Republicans say they back party over Trump: Poll
The poll reflects a nationwide trend of declining support for the former president over the last two years since Trump left office.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

A   record number of Republican voters say their loyalty lies with the party rather than with Donald Trump, throwing the former president a curveball as he reportedly   prepares to announce   a third White House bid.

Almost two-thirds (62%) of Republicans say they identify themselves as supporters of the GOP rather than just supporters of Trump, compared to about 30% who report feeling the other way around,   according to a poll   from NBC News. Another 4% say they equally support the Republican Party and Trump.

The poll reflects a nationwide trend of declining support for the former president over the last two years since Trump left office. The new numbers show a significant drop in support from August 2021, when about 50% of Republicans said they supported the party over Trump, according to a similar NBC poll.

It’s not clear what is pulling the president’s numbers down, although Trump has been under increased scrutiny after becoming the subject of several investigations into efforts to overturn the 2020 election and the Jan. 6 Capitol riot.

The new polling comes at a crucial time for Trump, as the former president is expected to announce a bid for a 2024 presidential run as soon as Nov. 14 .   Political strategists have long predicted Trump would announce a presidential bid sooner rather than later, hoping to get ahead of similar ambitions by some likely rivals, such as Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis.

However, polling suggests DeSantis could have a leg up on Trump as Republican voters are increasingly warming up to the Florida governor over the former president. About 72% of Republican voters say DeSantis should have a great deal or good amount of influence over the party’s direction compared to 64% who said the same about Trump, according to  an ABC News/Ipsos poll released in October.

DeSantis has not yet indicated whether he’d seek a White House run, but the Florida governor is considered a top contender.

The NBC News poll surveyed 1,000 voters between Nov. 3-5 and has a margin of error of plus or minus 3.1 percentage points.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

GregTx
PhD Guide
1  seeder  GregTx    2 years ago

Probably shouldn't get too optimistic. It is a NBC News poll so it might be retracted.....

evilone
Professor Guide
2  evilone    2 years ago
Almost two-thirds (62%) of Republicans say they identify themselves as supporters of the GOP rather than just supporters of Trump, compared to about 30% who report feeling the other way around...

It's 30% who are identified as "deplorables" for want of a better word. NOT half the country as the deplorables and those that make money off pissing people off would have the rest of us believe. 

DeSantis has not yet indicated whether he’d seek a White House run, but the Florida governor is considered a top contender.

DeSantis might not be Trump, but he's still running on a Populist platform. Both parties need to tell the populist wings to piss off. 

independent Liberal
Freshman Quiet
3  independent Liberal    2 years ago

I really hope Ron Desantis runs, then we will get to watch Donald reconnect with his evangelical base to beat him. The curiosity really is how in the hell do evangelical Christians justify supporting a man like Donald Trump? It is one of the strangest relationships in politics. 

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
4  Vic Eldred    2 years ago

I don't think DeSantis realizes that at this point he could beat Trump in a primary election. There are a few surprises coming after the election.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
5  TᵢG    2 years ago
A   record number of Republican voters say their loyalty lies with the party rather than with Donald Trump, throwing the former president a curveball as he reportedly   prepares to announce   a third White House bid.

I am waiting for actions to support this poll.   For example, those who claim they will support Trump if nominated are enabling Trump and continuing the harm to the party.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
5.1  Vic Eldred  replied to  TᵢG @5    2 years ago
For example, those who claim they will support Trump if nominated are enabling Trump and continuing the harm to the party.

The enemy of this country is the far left. We need to turn them away for at least 3 election cycles.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
5.1.1  TᵢG  replied to  Vic Eldred @5.1    2 years ago

Why reply to my comment if you are going to speak on an entirely different point.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
5.1.2  Vic Eldred  replied to  TᵢG @5.1.1    2 years ago

It is the same point. Trump was a great President. In two years we have had every insane far left policy unleashed on this country. If Trump was the nominee, I would run to the polls to vote for him!

TᵢG
Professor Principal
5.1.3  TᵢG  replied to  Vic Eldred @5.1.2    2 years ago

And thus you are an enabler for Trump.    You are working against other candidates by providing promised support for Trump.

It is irresponsible, irrational and unpatriotic to enable Trump to return as PotUS even if we only consider his actions since losing the election.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
5.1.4  JohnRussell  replied to  Vic Eldred @5.1.2    2 years ago
Trump was a great President

You are this great traditionalist. You believe in personal honor, I'm sure. What honor is there in being a supporter of Donald Trump? He is not just one of the worst people in recent years of politics, he is one of the worst people ever to hold national public office in the United States. [Deleted]

The conservative commentator Joe Walsh, former tea party GOP congressman, is interviewed for a documentary about the Big Lie, and he says that when Trump ran in 2016 Walsh was for him and voted for him. And then the critical thing emerged - Trump won. And Walsh says he almost immediately saw, after Trump took power, what a horrible human being Trump is. 

[Deleted]

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
5.1.5  Vic Eldred  replied to  TᵢG @5.1.3    2 years ago
 You are working against other candidates by providing promised support for Trump.

I'm sure you don't believe this, but Ron DeSantis has a very good chance to defeat Trump in a primary. That is the place for "other candidates," not in a general election when the alternative is more far left radicalism.

Ronin2
Professor Quiet
5.1.6  Ronin2  replied to  TᵢG @5.1.3    2 years ago

So 4 more years of Democrats flushing this country down the toilet is worth getting rid of Trump and all Trump neophyte politicians across the spectrum to you?

I don't want Trump to run again; but I will take him or any of his disciples over any Fascist Democrat.

Democrats start cleaning up the Fascists in their party I might think about voting for some of the more moderate members of their group again.

Ender
Professor Principal
5.1.7  Ender  replied to  Vic Eldred @5.1.5    2 years ago

Do you think DeSantis will win the governorship and then jump ship half term?

Texan1211
Professor Principal
5.1.8  Texan1211  replied to  Ender @5.1.7    2 years ago
Do you think DeSantis will win the governorship and then jump ship half term?

If he runs and wins the Presidency, sure thing!

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
5.1.9  JohnRussell  replied to  Ronin2 @5.1.6    2 years ago

Donald Trump is a traitor. Are you telling us that you would vote for a traitor to be president of the United States? 

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
5.1.10  Vic Eldred  replied to  JohnRussell @5.1.9    2 years ago
Are you telling us that you would vote for a traitor to be president of the United States? 

You did!  You voted for somebody that let 5 Million people illegally enter the United States.

Ronin2
Professor Quiet
5.1.11  Ronin2  replied to  JohnRussell @5.1.4    2 years ago
What honor is there in being a supporter of Donald Trump?

What honor is there in supporting Brandon or any of the Fascist Democrats? 

He is not just one of the worst people in recent years of politics, he is one of the worst people ever to hold national public office in the United States.

You mean outside of Brandon, Pelosi, Schumer, bobble head boy Schiff, and the rest of the Fascist Democrat cadre?

[Deleted]

The conservative commentator Joe Walsh, former tea party GOP congressman, is interviewed for a documentary about the Big Lie, and he says that when Trump ran in 2016 Walsh was for him and voted for him. And then the critical thing emerged - Trump won. And Walsh says he almost immediately saw, after Trump took power, what a horrible human being Trump is. 

Why don't you look up what Walsh has said about Hillary and Pelosi? He thinks they're horrible people as well. 

Where is your honor? 

[Deleted]

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
5.1.12  JohnRussell  replied to  Ronin2 @5.1.11    2 years ago

jrSmiley_30_smiley_image.gif

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
5.1.13  Jack_TX  replied to  Vic Eldred @5.1.2    2 years ago
Trump was a great President.

He just wasn't.  Which is why he doesn't have the job anymore.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
5.1.14  Tessylo  replied to  Vic Eldred @5.1.10    2 years ago

You just make it up as you go along eh?  Five million is bullshit  

TᵢG
Professor Principal
5.1.15  TᵢG  replied to  Ronin2 @5.1.6    2 years ago

Just get rid of Trump, Ronin.   Focus on getting someone halfway decent to secure the GoP nomination.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
5.1.16  Vic Eldred  replied to  Tessylo @5.1.14    2 years ago

TᵢG
Professor Principal
5.1.17  TᵢG  replied to  Vic Eldred @5.1.5    2 years ago
I'm sure you don't believe this, but Ron DeSantis has a very good chance to defeat Trump in a primary. 

Why would I not believe DeSantis could defeat Trump in a primary?

That is the place for "other candidates," not in a general election when the alternative is more far left radicalism.

I have been talking about primaries, Vic.    Since you will only vote GoP, the only choice you will be involved in is which presidential candidate will be nominated.   So you should be focused on NOT propping up Trump but instead KNOCKING HIM DOWN so that he does not secure the GoP nomination for PotUS.

And it should be easy to honestly knock Trump down.   All one need do is follow the truth:  it is absurdly obvious that Trump puts Trump first and it is not clear how far down the list Trump finally inserts the USA.   It is irrational, irresponsible and unpatriotic to reinstall Trump as PotUS after showing his character and intentions with such clarity once he lost the election.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
5.1.18  Vic Eldred  replied to  TᵢG @5.1.17    2 years ago

I told you many times: My choice is DeSantis.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
5.1.19  TᵢG  replied to  Vic Eldred @5.1.18    2 years ago

Yes I know.    So knock down Trump so that DeSantis is better positioned to secure the nomination.

By simply acknowledging the truth about Trump rather than perpetuate his Big Lie and basically ignore all his wrongdoings, people would take out the wind from Trump's sails and open the field for better candidates (extremely easy to find a better candidate than Trump).

After all, Trump has already started bad-mouthing DeSantis assuming he is a competitor.   Where do you draw the line, Vic?    If you want DeSantis, why do you continue to run interference for Trump?

Knock Trump down and talk DeSantis up.   Why is this not obvious?

Hallux
PhD Principal
5.1.20  Hallux  replied to  TᵢG @5.1.19    2 years ago
Why is this not obvious?

It's referred to as burning a candle at both ends. Vic has 'mastered' the 'art'.

devangelical
Professor Principal
5.1.21  devangelical  replied to  Vic Eldred @5.1.2    2 years ago
I would run to the polls to vote for him!

... more like run with a pole. chemically induced...