╌>

Nevada Senate race: Catherine Cortez Masto inches closer to overtaking Adam Laxalt | Fox News

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  jbb  •  2 years ago  •  33 comments

By:   Adam Sabes (Fox News)

Nevada Senate race: Catherine Cortez Masto inches closer to overtaking Adam Laxalt | Fox News
Nevada Democrat U.S. Sen. Catherine Cortez Masto is inching closer to Republican Adam Laxalt's lead after more ballot results were counted Friday night.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

closeimage.jpg?ve=1&tl=1 Video

Breaking down Arizona, Nevada midterm races as vote count continues

Fox News Decision Desk's Daron Shaw gives the latest outlook on razor-thin margins in the remaining Arizona and Nevada races on 'Your World.'

Nevada Democrat U.S. Sen. Catherine Cortez Masto is inching closer to overtaking the lead that Republican Adam Laxalt has.

Following the latest updates from Clark County, Laxalt's lead over Cortez Masto shrunk to 798 votes after the county tallied 27,229 votes, resulting in a pickup of 8,190 votes for the incumbent senator.

Clark County is Nevada's most populous county, with roughly 2.29 million people.

In the race for governor, Republican Joe Lombardo has unseated Democratic incumbent Steve Sisolak, the Fox News Decision Desk can project.

NEVADA'S CLARK COUNTY HAS MORE THAN 50,000 BALLOTS LEFT TO COUNT, EXPECTING BULK TO BE TALLIED BY SATURDAY

Senator-Catherine-Cortez-Masto.jpg?ve=1&tl=1

U.S. Sen. Catherine Cortez Masto (D-NV) speaks at an election night party hosted by Nevada Democratic Victory at The Encore on Nov. 8, 2022, in Las Vegas, Nevada. Supporters and candidates gathered to await the results for several key races in the state of Nevada including the gubernatorial and Senate race. (Anna Moneymaker/Getty Images)

Lombardo is the only Republican to flip a governor's seat this election cycle.

In Clark County, the deadline for all ballots to be counted is Tuesday.

NEVADA SENATE RACE: LAXALT LEAD OVER CORTEZ MASTO SHRINKS AFTER LATEST VOTE COUNT UPDATE

Adam-Laxalt-2.png?ve=1&tl=1

Adam Laxalt speaks to a crowd at an election night event on June 14, 2022 in Reno, Nevada. The Nevada primary is attracting national attention as Republican Senate candidates prepare to challenge incumbent U.S. Sen. Catherine Cortez-Masto (D-NV) in November. (Photo by Trevor Bexon/Getty Images)

Clark County Registrar of Voters Joe Gloria said during a Friday press conference that they are reaching the "tail-end of what we need to do."

CLICK HERE TO GET THE FOX NEWS APP

sisolak_lombardo_nevada_governor.jpg?ve=1&tl=1

Democrat Nevada Gov. Steve Sisolak, who faces a tough re-election bout against Clark County Sheriff Joe Lombardo. (AP Photo/John Locher)

Washoe County, the state's second-largest county, still has about 23,000 ballots left to count, according to the Las Vegas Review-Journal.

Adam Sabes is a writer for Fox News Digital. Story tips can be sent to Adam.Sabes@fox.com and on Twitter @asabes10.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

JBB
Professor Principal
1  seeder  JBB    2 years ago

It looks like Democrats are holding the US Senate!

Ronin2
Professor Quiet
1.1  Ronin2  replied to  JBB @1    2 years ago

The Fascists finally may have manufactured enough ballots. Congrats!

Election officials, however, claim there is no need to worry. They have asserted signature verification helps prevent someone from successfully casting a ballot that doesn’t belong to them .

As I did two years ago , I tested that theory this election. I had 11 people send me a picture of their ballot envelope. I then wrote their name in my handwriting. Each voter than copied my version of their signature onto their ballot return envelope. They sent me a picture to ensure it wasn’t their normal handwriting. This simulated signing someone else’s ballot.

It’s also legal because each voter signed his or her own ballot.

If signature verification worked, all 11 of those ballots should have been set aside for mismatched signatures. Instead, six were accepted. That’s a greater than 50 percent chance of being accepted. When I did this experiment in 2020 with nine voters, eight had their ballots accepted . That was an almost 90 percent acceptance rate.

These sample sizes are too small to say definitively that things have gotten better. Let’s hope they have. But either way, one thing is obvious: Signature verification isn’t the fail-safe security measure election officials claim it is.

That’s not surprising. Signatures aren’t a unique identifier. They morph over time. They change based on how quickly you write or what you’re writing on. Nevada’s law also makes it hard to reject a signature . The rejected signature must contain “multiple, significant and obvious” differences. Two officials have to decide it’s not a match. That wiggle room allows mismatched signatures to get through.

This is fixable. To verify absentee ballots, Georgia requires a unique identifier , such as the last four digits of a driver’s license number.

A brief word on what this isn’t. It’s not a defense of Donald Trump’s latest social media mumblings. Election security critiques should be narrowly tailored to follow the evidence, not sweeping generalizations that are easily disproven. It’s also not proof of voter fraud.

What this proves is that Nevada’s mail ballots remain vulnerable to fraud. Even small-scale fraud can shift races. Some of this year’s Assembly races look like they will be decided by dozens of votes .

The honor system is no substitute for election security.

JBB
Professor Principal
1.1.1  seeder  JBB  replied to  Ronin2 @1.1    2 years ago

original

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1.1.2  JohnRussell  replied to  Ronin2 @1.1    2 years ago
I had 11 people send me a picture of their ballot envelope. I then wrote their name in my handwriting. Each voter than copied my version of their signature onto their ballot return envelope.

This is absurd. I have never seen your signature. According to this theory I could sign your name to something, without ever having seen it, and somewhere between 50 and 90 % of the time the handwriting I signed your name with would fool someone checking it. This is ridiculous. There is a 99% chance that the signature I made using your name would look nothing like your real signature. If these phony signatures are being accepted that is on the person reading them, not the system. 

Ender
Professor Principal
1.1.3  Ender  replied to  JBB @1.1.1    2 years ago

What kind of dumb stunt is that.  Sending someone a picture of your ballot envelope is one of the dumbest things I have heard yet....

Kavika
Professor Principal
2  Kavika     2 years ago

It was a bit surprising that Cortez Mastro picked up more than expected in Washoe county. It's blue but it seems that it went for Cortez Mastro in a big way according to last night's news. As soon as Cortez Mastro's new numbers were made public I got phone calls from friends living in Henderson. They were delighted, to say the least.

Drinker of the Wry
Junior Expert
2.1  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  Kavika @2    2 years ago

Looks like McConnell called it back in Aug, “I think there’s probably a greater likelihood the House flips than the Senate. Senate races are just different — they're statewide, candidate quality has a lot to do with the outcome. “

Repub Senators are made at him for speaking the truth.  

Ender
Professor Principal
2.1.1  Ender  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @2.1    2 years ago

The all seem to be attacking McConnell lately.

Drinker of the Wry
Junior Expert
2.1.2  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  Ender @2.1.1    2 years ago

McConnell and Trump hate each other.  

Kavika
Professor Principal
3  Kavika     2 years ago

All three US house seats went to dems and the republicans made a concentrated effort to take those seats.

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
4  Sean Treacy    2 years ago

The democratic governor of Nevada was the only senator or governor in the country to lose reelection, with warnock still on the table.

JBB
Professor Principal
4.1  seeder  JBB  replied to  Sean Treacy @4    2 years ago

Then you must be conceding that the Democrat hasl won the Senate race in Nevada?

Kavika
Professor Principal
4.1.1  Kavika   replied to  JBB @4.1    2 years ago

The dem State Treasury won re-election against a MAGA candidate

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
4.1.2  Sean Treacy  replied to  JBB @4.1    2 years ago

It seems probable. 

Sparty On
Professor Principal
5  Sparty On    2 years ago

States like Az and Nv are making our election system look like a joke to the developed world.    

We’d  be better off using the purple thumb system we used it Iraq.

Kavika
Professor Principal
5.1  Kavika   replied to  Sparty On @5    2 years ago

Both AZ and NV are following their respective election laws. On average for AZ it 10 to 12 days after election day that the final vote count is available. NV is pretty much the same.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
5.1.1  Sparty On  replied to  Kavika @5.1    2 years ago

Agreed, making both states look foolish compared to more populous states like Florida.

Kavika
Professor Principal
5.1.2  Kavika   replied to  Sparty On @5.1.1    2 years ago

They don't look foolish at all, it's what the residents of those states want. Their state, their choice.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
5.1.3  Sparty On  replied to  Kavika @5.1.2    2 years ago
They don't look foolish at all,

Opinions do vary

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
5.1.4  Sean Treacy  replied to  Sparty On @5.1.1    2 years ago
making both states look foolish compared to more populous states like Florida.

Florida can count 8 million votes, survive a hurricane and rebuild a bridge in time those states count less than a third of those votes. 

No wonder Desantis is so popular.  

Kavika
Professor Principal
5.1.5  Kavika   replied to  Sparty On @5.1.3    2 years ago

Yes, they do but you don't live in either state so there is that.

Kavika
Professor Principal
5.1.6  Kavika   replied to  Sean Treacy @5.1.4    2 years ago
Florida can count 8 million votes, survive a hurricane and rebuild a bridge in time those states count less than a third of those votes. 

You realize don't you the election criteria and voting parameters have been in place long before DeSantis and we survive hurricanes every year, in fact, we just had another one earlier this week. The bridge is operational which is a good thing now to get to work on the inland areas that we devasted by the flooding. 

Best stick to cheesehead issues, Sean.

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
5.1.7  Sean Treacy  replied to  Kavika @5.1.6    2 years ago
u the election criteria and voting parameters have been in place long before DeSantis 

changes were made last year. Or did that get flushed down the memory hole? 

we just had another one earlier this week.  The bridge is operational which is a good thing now to get to work on the inland areas that we devasted by the flooding. 

Yes, that's my point. All that happened while states struggle to count a fraction of florida's votes. 

Kavika
Professor Principal
5.1.8  Kavika   replied to  Sean Treacy @5.1.7    2 years ago
changes were made last year. Or did that get flushed down the memory hole? 

There have been a couple of changes one under SB90 and the other under SB524. You should read them, they were security issues and did nothing to speed up the elections/vote counting. 

The only hole around here is the rabbit hole you keep falling down. Watch your step, don't want to see you vanish for life.

Yes, that's my point. All that happened while states struggle to count a fraction of florida's votes. 

The point is the one you missed and that is that those same things that you mentioned have been happening and handled by prior governors.

As always Nevada and Arizona are doing the election cycle/counting as they have done in the past based on state law and the only ones that seem to be whining about it are the loser Republicans.

The Cheeseheads in Green Bay need help before Rogers ends up with a serious injury or getting a first-round pick next year. 

Cheers.

Kavika
Professor Principal
5.1.9  Kavika   replied to  Kavika @5.1.8    2 years ago

Oh, I forgot to add that in AZ Kelly won re election and it was just announced that Cortez Masto won NV.

Seems that they know how to count in both of those states. Slow and sure while the republicans burned. 

Another big of good news is in Washington state the Dems flipped another republican seat.

pat wilson
Professor Participates
5.1.10  pat wilson  replied to  Kavika @5.1.9    2 years ago

Sparty On
Professor Principal
5.1.11  Sparty On  replied to  Kavika @5.1.5    2 years ago
but you don't live in either state so there is that.

lol .... so what?

Sparty On
Professor Principal
5.1.12  Sparty On  replied to  Sean Treacy @5.1.7    2 years ago

Trying to defend the indefensible.    A sign of one of two things.    Insanity or a irreversibly partisan mind.

Gsquared
Professor Principal
6  Gsquared    2 years ago

Cortez Masto is the projected winner.  The Democrats keep control of the Senate.

It's a beautiful day!

Kavika
Professor Principal
6.1  Kavika   replied to  Gsquared @6    2 years ago

Outstanding!!!!

Gsquared
Professor Principal
6.1.1  Gsquared  replied to  Kavika @6.1    2 years ago

Wonderful.  Democracy wins.  America wins.

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
6.2  Raven Wing  replied to  Gsquared @6    2 years ago

jrSmiley_24_smiley_image.gif   jrSmiley_81_smiley_image.gif     jrSmiley_13_smiley_image.gif

pat wilson
Professor Participates
7  pat wilson    2 years ago

Disinformation loses bigly, lol.