╌>

Peltola wins Alaska's U.S. House race by 10 point margin - Alaska Public Media

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  kavika  •  2 years ago  •  36 comments

By:   Chris Klint and Liz Ruskin (Alaska Public Media)

Peltola wins Alaska's U.S. House race by 10 point margin - Alaska Public Media
Congresswoman Mary Peltola came out nearly 10 points ahead of Republican Sarah Palin.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

By Chris Klint and Liz Ruskin, Alaska Public Media - Anchorage - November 23, 2022 Incumbent Congresswoman Mary Peltola and supporters celebrate her win on Wednesday at 49th State Brewing in downtown Anchorage. (Elyssa Loughlin/Alaska Public Media)

Democrat Mary Peltola has won reelection to the U.S. House. With a massive lead in first-choice ballots, she came out nearly 10 points ahead of Republican Sarah Palin once second- and third-rankings were counted on Wednesday.

Peltola celebrated her win in downtown Anchorage at a results watch party with supporters, family and campaign volunteers — thanking all of them. Some of her supporters were in tears. Peltola said the election result says a lot.

"I think it says that Alaskans are ready for an Alaskan to represent them who isn't spouting kind of the canned messages that we hear nationwide," she told reporters after her victory was announced. "I think it shows that Alaskans wholeheartedly embrace nonpartisanship and embrace working together and tackling issues that Alaskans face."

In the end, Peltola took just under 55% of the vote. Palin got just over 45%. Palin got a boost once fellow Republican Nick Begich III, who finished third, was eliminated and his 64,392 ballots redistributed during ranked choice tabulation. Nearly two-thirds of his voters chose Palin as their second choice, but 21% didn't make a second choice - and nearly 12% went for Peltola, who won the two-year term.

A call to the Palin campaign wasn't immediately returned Wednesday, and her social media accounts were silent in the immediate aftermath of the tabulation. Begich issued a written statement congratulating "Alaska's next congressional representative — Mary Peltola."

"My message to Alaskans is to continue to be involved and engaged," Begich wrote. "We have a government that is of the people, by the people, and for the people; and as such it requires the active participation of citizens, not simply to vote, but to debate, to discuss, to be informed and to work to create the future we would all like to see."

Peltola's win was an outcome that seemed highly improbable in March, when she filed to run for the seat that was held her entire life by Republican Congressman Don Young. Peltola, now 49, had little money or statewide name recognition. As late as July, almost a third of Alaskans surveyed had never heard of her. She was running against Palin, the most famous Alaskan alive, and several other candidates who could quickly amass million-dollar campaign accounts.

From a field of 48 primary candidates, Peltola won the special election, becoming the first woman to represent Alaska in the U.S. House and the first Alaska Native person elected to Congress. She championed a centrist message of "pro-fish, pro-family, pro-freedom." Maybe more than her message, her measured demeanor and commitment to civility stood out.

"This campaign really showed that the style of campaign that you run matters," said political consultant Matt Shuckerow, who largely ran Young's last campaign. "People are growing tired of the tearing people down and simply focusing on attacking opponents."

Mary Peltola, her family and campaign manager await results Wednesday afternoon. (Elyssa Loughlin/Alaska Public Media)

Peltola got a few lucky breaks, like when nonpartisan Al Gross dropped out of the special election in June, which focused moderate and liberals' cash and attention on the only Democrat in the race. And then Palin and Begich spent most of the campaign attacking each other and taking umbrage.

"As Republicans turned on one or another, it allowed her to stay above the fray and to talk about issues and, again, to define herself as she wanted," Shuckerow said.

By September, when Peltola she took office to serve the remainder of Young's term, she Peltola had gone from underdog to front-runner in the midterm general election. Money poured in from around the country as Democrats realized they had a chance to keep the seat. Ultimately, Peltola raised about $6 million.

Political consultant Art Hackney, who worked on Begich's campaign, said the race boiled down to the qualities of the two leading candidates: Palin was too polarizing to win, while Peltola was too appealing to beat.

"The thing about Mary is she just checks all the boxes," Hackney said. "She speaks with certainty. Great personal presentation … She was somebody that you just wanted to give a big hug to."

The Division of Elections expects to certify the results next week. Peltola will be sworn in Jan. 3, when a new Congress begins.

Republicans will take leadership of the House, so Peltola will be a member of the minority.

Related stories:

Murkowski wins Alaska's U.S. Senate race

Alaska Gov. Dunleavy is reelected

The latest vote tallies in Alaska's first ranked choice general election

Missed the ranked choice vote count? Watch now.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Kavika
Professor Principal
1  seeder  Kavika     2 years ago

Both parties could take a lesson from this race and Mary Peltola. 

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
2  Buzz of the Orient    2 years ago

I thihk Mary Peltola can see the Capitol Building from her front porch. 

JBB
Professor Principal
2.1  JBB  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @2    2 years ago

Yes, and Sarah Palin can now see her marriage and her political career in her rearview mirror...

Kavika
Professor Principal
2.1.1  seeder  Kavika   replied to  JBB @2.1    2 years ago

Probably, but you'll hear her complain about the loss for the next year or so.

Drinker of the Wry
Junior Expert
2.1.2  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  Kavika @2.1.1    2 years ago

I haven't heard her for for over 10 years, I practice discriminatory listening.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
2.1.3  Vic Eldred  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @2.1.2    2 years ago

I wonder who misses her most?

devangelical
Professor Principal
2.1.4  devangelical  replied to  Vic Eldred @2.1.3    2 years ago

tea party dipshits with more blue pills than brains...

devangelical
Professor Principal
2.1.5  devangelical  replied to  JBB @2.1    2 years ago
Palin can now see her marriage and her political career in her rearview mirror...

along with a queue of old has been NHL players...

pat wilson
Professor Participates
2.1.6  pat wilson  replied to  Vic Eldred @2.1.3    2 years ago

Tina Fey.

devangelical
Professor Principal
2.1.7  devangelical  replied to  pat wilson @2.1.6    2 years ago

LOL, sarah's kids...

al Jizzerror
Masters Expert
2.1.8  al Jizzerror  replied to  pat wilson @2.1.6    2 years ago
Tina Fey.

Perfect!

Kavika
Professor Principal
2.2  seeder  Kavika   replied to  Buzz of the Orient @2    2 years ago

Ha, I'm sure that she can.

Gsquared
Professor Principal
3  Gsquared    2 years ago
"The thing about Mary is she just checks all the boxes," Hackney said. "She speaks with certainty. Great personal presentation … She was somebody that you just wanted to give a big hug to."

Indeed. 

The people of Alaska voted for quality over mediocrity.   What a great victory.

Kavika
Professor Principal
3.1  seeder  Kavika   replied to  Gsquared @3    2 years ago
The people of Alaska voted for quality over mediocrity.   What a great victory.

Indeed they did and I'm sure that Mary will give it her all for all the people of Alaska.

pat wilson
Professor Participates
4  pat wilson    2 years ago

Kavika
Professor Principal
4.1  seeder  Kavika   replied to  pat wilson @4    2 years ago

Yes, perfect.

devangelical
Professor Principal
5  devangelical    2 years ago

another epic public humiliation of the teabagged tundra trollop is a huge bonus...

Tessylo
Professor Principal
5.2  Tessylo  replied to  devangelical @5    2 years ago

jrSmiley_86_smiley_image.gif

Kavika
Professor Principal
6  seeder  Kavika     2 years ago

Everyone back on topic.

MrFrost
Professor Expert
7  MrFrost    2 years ago

When my neighbor told me he and his wife moved here from Palin's home town, I asked the obvious question, "Did you know Palin?". His reply was that he lived two doors down from her and that she is as nutty as a squirrel turd, (his words). 

I am not surprised she lost. 

Kavika
Professor Principal
7.1  seeder  Kavika   replied to  MrFrost @7    2 years ago

That isn't a surprise at all, MrFrost.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
7.2  Tessylo  replied to  MrFrost @7    2 years ago

Nutty as a squirrel turd

jrSmiley_10_smiley_image.gif

Another republican/gqp requirement nowadays

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
8  sandy-2021492    2 years ago

Thread 5.1 removed as off topic.

devangelical
Professor Principal
8.1  devangelical  replied to  sandy-2021492 @8    2 years ago

LOL, the permafrost barbie fan club...

al Jizzerror
Masters Expert
9  al Jizzerror    2 years ago

In the end, Peltola took just under 55% of the vote. Palin got just over 45%.

I can't believe that many people supported the failed former half term halfwit Governor Palin.

Kavika
Professor Principal
9.1  seeder  Kavika   replied to  al Jizzerror @9    2 years ago
I can't believe that many people supported the failed former half term halfwit Governor Palin.

It is baffling, to say the least.

devangelical
Professor Principal
9.1.1  devangelical  replied to  Kavika @9.1    2 years ago

looks like she'll be moving to arizona in 2023...

Tessylo
Professor Principal
9.1.2  Tessylo  replied to  devangelical @9.1.1    2 years ago

I had no idea failing Palin was running/ran.

What the fuck?  

At least she lost

cjcold
Professor Quiet
9.1.3  cjcold  replied to  Tessylo @9.1.2    2 years ago

Darn! I was looking forward to more Tina Fey skits.

al Jizzerror
Masters Expert
9.1.4  al Jizzerror  replied to  cjcold @9.1.3    2 years ago