╌>

The left's new Bogeyman

Category:  Op/Ed

By:  vic-eldred  •  2 years ago  •  118 comments

The left's new Bogeyman
“Vindman is both puppet & puppeteer. Question is who pulls his strings … ?” Musk asked Sunday.

Link to Quote: https://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/3752134-vindman-rips-musk-as-purveyor-of-hate-and-division/

As Donald Trump takes on his new role, either forcibly or voluntarily, as simply the MAGA wing founder, there has emerged a new focus point for the left's hatred. It's the business innovator Elon Musk. The unforgivable crime that Musk committed was buying the left's favorite safe space known as "Twitter." Musk disrupted the Twitter scheme to normalize censorship.

FinnLxjWQAAH9i3?format=jpg&name=small

The latest outcry comes from the democrats not so secret whistleblower AKA: Alexander Vindman. Yesterday Vindman called Musk a “purveyor of hate and division.”  Vindman has had a lot to say about Musk and much of it has been right on his Twitter account. All of that is allowed by Musk. Vindman considers himself a patriot. Obviously Vindman is just what he appered to be right from the beginning: a leftwing activist.

"In 2020, Vindman and his wife Rachel appeared in an advertisement created by  The Lincoln Project  supporting  Joe Biden 's presidential campaign."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alexander_Vindman

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
1  author  Vic Eldred    2 years ago

Musk is now the target of all the hate.

God-speed Elon!

Sparty On
Professor Principal
1.1  Sparty On  replied to  Vic Eldred @1    2 years ago

Lefties are now dumping the Tesla’s they were so proud of

Hilarious! 

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
1.1.1  author  Vic Eldred  replied to  Sparty On @1.1    2 years ago

Funny how that works. 

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
1.1.2  Sean Treacy  replied to  Sparty On @1.1    2 years ago

Wonder how Alyssa Milano reacted when she found out who founded Volkswagon.

George
Sophomore Expert
1.1.3  George  replied to  Sparty On @1.1    2 years ago

For a car built by a company started by Hitler and the Nazi’s. I guess you go where you feel most comfortable.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
1.1.4  Sparty On  replied to  Sean Treacy @1.1.2    2 years ago

Lol, I know.    

Dimwits like that just can’t get out of their own way.

George
Sophomore Expert
1.1.5  George  replied to  Sean Treacy @1.1.2    2 years ago

Doesn’t VW have a history of lying about their cars? 

Drinker of the Wry
Junior Expert
1.1.6  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  George @1.1.5    2 years ago

They lied about their TDI diesel that was available in the Jetta.  

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
1.1.7  Jasper2529  replied to  Sean Treacy @1.1.2    2 years ago
Wonder how Alyssa Milano reacted when she found out who founded Volkswagon.

Look on the bright side. The airhead could have bought a Ford, which was founded by anti-Semitic, pro-Nazi Henry Ford but she wouldn't have known that either.

Ender
Professor Principal
1.1.8  Ender  replied to  Jasper2529 @1.1.7    2 years ago

So you all think anything made in Germany is made by Nazis?

Do you all think that anyone that visited Germany is supporting Nazis?

I read someone say this last night and as usual the right wing all jumps on the same stupid talking point.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
1.1.9  Sparty On  replied to  Ender @1.1.8    2 years ago

Yep, almost as ridiculous as expecting people today to pay for shit that happened centuries years ago.

Same stupid talking points .... 

Ender
Professor Principal
1.1.10  Ender  replied to  Sparty On @1.1.9    2 years ago

At least you admit it....

Drinker of the Wry
Junior Expert
1.1.11  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  Ender @1.1.8    2 years ago
So you all think anything made in Germany is made by Nazis?

Exactly, that would be as foolish as someone that thought all Tesla's were built by workers that think exactly like Musk.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
1.1.12  Sparty On  replied to  Ender @1.1.10    2 years ago

I could care less what car she buys either way.    None of my business.    The silly hypocrisy of her actions however is fair game.

All day, every day.

Ender
Professor Principal
1.1.13  Ender  replied to  Sparty On @1.1.12    2 years ago

You all have yet to show where what she did was in any way hypocrisy.

It is only more of throwing shit against the wall and seeing what sticks...

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
1.1.14  Jasper2529  replied to  Ender @1.1.8    2 years ago
So you all think anything made in Germany is made by Nazis? Do you all think that anyone that visited Germany is supporting Nazis?

Please specify exactly where in comment 1.1.7 I said what you claim I said.

Ender
Professor Principal
1.1.15  Ender  replied to  Jasper2529 @1.1.14    2 years ago

Deflection.

George
Sophomore Expert
1.1.16  George  replied to  Ender @1.1.8    2 years ago

No, only the things actually founded by Nazis using Jewish forced labor from concentration camps.

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
1.1.17  Jasper2529  replied to  Ender @1.1.15    2 years ago
Deflection.

No deflection from me. In comment 1.1.13 you accused me of saying things that are not in my comment 1.1.7 . Period. Full stop.

Ender
Professor Principal
1.1.18  Ender  replied to  Jasper2529 @1.1.17    2 years ago

So you just use one example to attack a woman for her choice yet any other examples of the same bullshit line are not the same.

Please. All you ever do is come back and say I didn't say that, Don't put words in my mouth, show me where I said that....

I can go back in your history and count how many times you have said something similar to people.

So yes, when confronted you act like you didn't mean certain things when we all know you did.

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
1.1.19  Jasper2529  impassed  Ender @1.1.18    2 years ago

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
1.1.20  Trout Giggles  replied to  Ender @1.1.18    2 years ago

And don't forget "this isn't about me!!!""""

in my best whiny voice

Oh...and whoever said he/she doesn't call people names is a fucking liar

Sparty On
Professor Principal
1.1.21  Sparty On  replied to  Ender @1.1.13    2 years ago

You have yet to deal with the reality of the situation.    

She was so proud of her Tesla until the owner of Tesla had the temerity to do something she simply didn’t like.    I guess she isn’t proud of her Tesla anymore and is now the proud owner of a relative of the Nazi war machine.    Which is justifiable to her in comparison I guess.

Don’t bother, we clearly won’t agree that she is simply a sanctimonious asshat in this regard.

Ender
Professor Principal
1.1.22  Ender  replied to  Sparty On @1.1.21    2 years ago

And you think these musk defenders are not sanctimonious pricks?

Calling what the VW company is now to a war machine is nothing but someone shouting horseshit.

GregTx
PhD Guide
1.1.23  GregTx  replied to  Ender @1.1.22    2 years ago

Roots are roots. If it's a good enough reason to tear down statues and rename everything from schools to streets then it should definitely be good enough reason to judge a car company. 

Ender
Professor Principal
1.1.24  Ender  replied to  GregTx @1.1.23    2 years ago

Then I guess nobody should ever go to Germany because of a Nazi past.

Nor should come to America as the settlers did nothing but massacre the indigenous population.

GregTx
PhD Guide
1.1.25  GregTx  replied to  Ender @1.1.24    2 years ago
KEY FACTS

1 The Volkswagen company originated during the Third Reich in an attempt to create an affordable car for the German people.

2 Volkswagen used both Jewish and non-Jewish forced labor, primarily from eastern Europe.

3 The company operated four concentration camps and eight forced-labor camps on its property.

Then I guess nobody should ever go to Germany because of a Nazi past.
Nor should come to America as the settlers did nothing but massacre the indigenous population.

I guess that depends on how much it actually bothered them. What does that have to do with VWs origins?

Ender
Professor Principal
1.1.26  Ender  replied to  GregTx @1.1.25    2 years ago

What does Alyssa Milano buying a VW have to do with nazi origins?

The whole thing is a bunch of idiot right wing people complaining and trying to bend iron bars in order to try to discredit her just because she doesn't like musk.

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
1.1.27  Sean Treacy  replied to  Ender @1.1.26    2 years ago

Is it really hard to see why it's funny that someone would publicly  brag about ditching a Tesla because of it's founders supposed problems (he supports free speech!) and then  getting a Volkswagen?

I think alyssa Milano might be the only other person who isn't laughing.  

Ender
Professor Principal
1.1.28  Ender  replied to  Sean Treacy @1.1.27    2 years ago

I see no joke in it, just people being assholes.

He supports free speech.....

Who doesn't? Hate speech is another thing that you all seem to lump together.

I could say several things right now to you that you would flag and it would be deleted.

No matter what you all say, 'free speech' has consequences and private enterprise is under no obligation.

GregTx
PhD Guide
1.1.29  GregTx  replied to  Ender @1.1.26    2 years ago

Ok and IMO the whole thing is a bunch of idiot left leaning people that are butthurt that Twitter isn't the same...

Ender
Professor Principal
1.1.30  Ender  replied to  GregTx @1.1.29    2 years ago

C'est la vie.

Drinker of the Wry
Junior Expert
1.1.31  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  Ender @1.1.30    2 years ago

A torte et a travers

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
1.1.32  Sean Treacy  replied to  Ender @1.1.28    2 years ago
oke in it, just people being assholes.

Alyssa Milano is a huge asshole and made an ass of herself again. Its okay to laugh. 

Who doesn't?

People freaking out over Musk not censoring conservatives. 

could say several things right now to you that you would flag and it would be deleted

I doubt it. I've only flagged a handful of things in the years I've been here, and I don't think any were directed at me.  Try and avoid your fellow travelers penchant for death threats , incitement to kill police or other crimes and I probably won't flag you. 

, 'free speech' has consequences and private enterprise is under no obligation.

I know. Liberals version of free speech is massive  corporations censoring arguments and facts they disagree with and calling them misinformation, while allowing liberals  to lie unchallenged.

Liberals ideas can't survive on an even playing field, that's why Musk is such a threat. He won't work for them.  It's a threat to the corporatist model they now depend on. 

Ender
Professor Principal
1.1.33  Ender  replied to  Sean Treacy @1.1.32    2 years ago

Liberal ideas cannot survive? Funny. Most progress today is more Liberal policy.

The conservatives have no ideas other than drill baby drill and lower taxes.

So why is musk your hero? What has he done other than piss off some Libs that would warrant the worship he gets...

Oh yeah, that is it, all life depends on pissing off Liberal people....

GregTx
PhD Guide
1.1.34  GregTx  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @1.1.31    2 years ago

très bien

GregTx
PhD Guide
1.1.35  GregTx  replied to  Ender @1.1.28    2 years ago
No matter what you all say, 'free speech' has consequences and private enterprise is under no obligation.

Indeed it does and those consequences can affect private enterprise as well.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
1.1.36  Trout Giggles  replied to  GregTx @1.1.29    2 years ago

I could give a flying fuck about twitter

GregTx
PhD Guide
1.1.37  GregTx  replied to  Trout Giggles @1.1.36    2 years ago

Yep, same here.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
1.1.38  Sparty On  replied to  Ender @1.1.33    2 years ago
Most progress today is more Liberal policy.

Funny, a lot of people wouldn’t call record inflation, record illegal immigration, record crime, high energy and food costs, good policy.    And make no mistake about it.    Liberal policy owns a lot of that.

So why is musk your hero? What has he done other than piss off some Libs that would warrant the worship he gets...

Liberals can be so emotional.    To a liberal, when a person likes the policy of someone like Biden, they simply only like him.    When someone likes a person like Musk, for taking a stand unpopular with a liberal narrative, they are worshipping Musk.    Ridiculous.

Such extreme hyperbole is not helpful in the least.

Ender
Professor Principal
1.1.39  Ender  replied to  Sparty On @1.1.38    2 years ago

Liberal policy causes worldwide inflation? Causes people to leave their homelands, causes assholes to commit crimes, causes food prices to rise....

Talk about hyperbole...

Yet here you are sticking up for him if not praising him.

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
1.1.40  Jack_TX  replied to  Ender @1.1.39    2 years ago
Liberal policy causes worldwide inflation?

They have certainly been contributory.

Causes people to leave their homelands, causes assholes to commit crimes, causes food prices to rise....

People are more likely to leave whatever Central American shithole they live in if they think they have a good chance of getting into the US.

People are more likely to commit crimes when they do not fear consequences.

Food is like any other commodity.  When you increase the amount of money in the economy but do not increase the productivity in that economy, you have more money chasing the same or fewer goods, and prices will rise.  That's true of everything from food to Taylor Swift tickets.

Ender
Professor Principal
1.1.41  Ender  replied to  Jack_TX @1.1.40    2 years ago

So what policy caused world wide inflation?

Do you really think people are sitting in these 'shitholes' as you call them listening to US politics?

People do not think of consequences when they commit crimes...

Biden, trump, Obama, Bush with tax relief....All added so called money.

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
1.1.42  Jack_TX  replied to  Ender @1.1.41    2 years ago
So what policy caused world wide inflation?

I said it was contributory.  There is a difference.  And it's policies, plural.

The US economy is the largest in the world and accounts for about 1/4 of the global economy, so anything that happens here ripples around the globe.

So when the US Govt combines increased spending, giving away money, and also not collecting money they're owed, they put more money into circulation.  Since much of that money has either no impact or negative impact on productivity, it is inflationary.

Do you really think people are sitting in these 'shitholes' as you call them listening to US politics?

At a very basic level, of course.  They were scared to come when Trump was in office, and they're not scared anymore.  They don't need to know much more than that.

People do not think of consequences when they commit crimes...

Of course they do.  Regardless, people are absolutely less likely to commit a crime when they are still locked up for the last one they committed.

Biden, trump, Obama, Bush with tax relief....All added so called money.

The previous presidents were in office during times of productivity growth, which improves supply, thus keeping prices down.  Biden is having to deal with The Great Resignation and the accompanying wage inflation.  He's not doing it well, BTW.

Ender
Professor Principal
1.1.43  Ender  replied to  Jack_TX @1.1.42    2 years ago

So you cannot name one policy?

There were not scared to come here under trump, they still did. Remember the caravans?

And sorry but no. When people are committing crimes they are not thinking about getting caught and consequences.

So what is so bad and what do you think Biden can do? Hell we just made a record of people spending over a billion dollars from black friday...

Things are not crumbling around us as conservatives would like people to think. By the way, they have no ideas or plans...

Sparty On
Professor Principal
1.1.44  Sparty On  replied to  Ender @1.1.39    2 years ago

I like free speech, so I agree with Musk on that.    Real free speech.    Not just the kind that only agrees with my opinion.   Attempting to characterize that as “worship” is just nonsensical.

What cracks me up is how long Musk was the lefts darling.    Probably yours at one time as well if you were being honest with yourself.

But he doesn’t goosestep to the liberal narrative all the time so he gone.   He bad to our friends on the left who only talk the talk on free speech but can’t walk the walk.

And you giving Biden policy a free pass for our current state of affairs speaks volumes for your critical thinking ability.

Volumes.

Ender
Professor Principal
1.1.45  Ender  replied to  Sparty On @1.1.44    2 years ago

If you are going to do nothing but insult me....fuck off.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
1.1.46  Sparty On  replied to  Ender @1.1.45    2 years ago
fuck off

No thanks but you are most welcome to help yourself

Classic, a difference of opinion is considered an insult in your world I guess.

Sad.

Ender
Professor Principal
1.1.47  Ender  replied to  Sparty On @1.1.46    2 years ago

Since when did bullshit become an opinion...

Sparty On
Professor Principal
1.1.48  Sparty On  replied to  Ender @1.1.47    2 years ago

And you lament about not being able to have civil discussions anymore.    Look in the mirror for your answer.

Once again, I rest my case.

Ender
Professor Principal
1.1.49  Ender  replied to  Sparty On @1.1.48    2 years ago

If you ever had a case you might have a point.

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
1.1.50  Jack_TX  replied to  Ender @1.1.43    2 years ago
So you cannot name one policy?

Any remotely informed person would have recognized them.  Start with the eternal student loan repayment holiday, add the American Rescue Plan's child tax credits, expanded EIC, rent subsidies, bonus pay and economic impact payments.

All told that's about 1.5 trillion dollars, before we even start with the newer programs.

There were not scared to come here under trump, they still did. Remember the caravans?

Math is an interesting thing.  A few thousand people on the news don't really begin to add up to several hundred thousand being ignored by the news.

And sorry but no. When people are committing crimes they are not thinking about getting caught and consequences.

So you're saying hate crime legislation doesn't actually deter hate crimes?  Interesting...

So what is so bad and what do you think Biden can do? Hell we just made a record of people spending over a billion dollars from black friday...

He needs to stop spending money like an old man trying to spoil his grandkids.  It's that simple.  That won't solve the problem, but it will stop making the problem worse.

Things are not crumbling around us as conservatives would like people to think. By the way, they have no ideas or plans...

I think their plan is to stop Democrats from spending money.  Which would be a good plan.

Ender
Professor Principal
1.1.51  Ender  replied to  Jack_TX @1.1.50    2 years ago

My opinion,

The student loan thing is on hold by the courts I thought. The rest of what you said it seems like most administrations did similar things. trump also had a huge stimulus package.

As far as the border, they were no more afraid of trump than any other administration. trump also had lockdown for part of his term. Of course that is going to lower numbers...

Crime...Does the death penalty stop murders? No it does not.

All administrations spend like drunken sailors.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
1.1.52  Sparty On  replied to  Ender @1.1.49    2 years ago

Stop projecting, it’s very unseemly.

Ender
Professor Principal
1.1.53  Ender  replied to  Sparty On @1.1.52    2 years ago

Sniff. So you do care. I, I , never would have thought....

GregTx
PhD Guide
1.1.54  GregTx  replied to  Ender @1.1.51    2 years ago
As far as the border, they were no more afraid of trump than any other administration. trump also had lockdown for part of his term. Of course that is going to lower numbers...

No, what lowered numbers the most wasn't Title 42 it was the remain in Mexico policy which was shredded asap by Biden.

Ender
Professor Principal
1.1.55  Ender  replied to  GregTx @1.1.54    2 years ago

I read this from PBS

About 70,000 migrants were subject to the policy , known officially as “Migrant Protection Protocols,” from when President Donald Trump introduced it in January 2019 until President Joe Biden suspended it on his first day in office in January 2021, fulfilling a campaign promise. Many were allowed to return to the United States to pursue their cases during the early months of Biden’s presidency.

Nearly 5,800 people were subject to the policy from December through June, a modest number. Nicaraguans account for the largest number, with others from Cuba, Colombia and Venezuela.

I was trying to understand it. Does it mean that Biden only allowed 5800 people in from that program?

Seriously, it was worded a little confusing to me.

GregTx
PhD Guide
1.1.56  GregTx  replied to  Ender @1.1.55    2 years ago
until President Joe Biden suspended it on his first day in office in January 2021, fulfilling a campaign promise. Many were allowed to return to the United States to pursue their cases during the early months of Biden’s presidency.

From the article you linked.

Ender
Professor Principal
1.1.57  Ender  replied to  GregTx @1.1.56    2 years ago

I was trying to understand the numbers posted by PBS

GregTx
PhD Guide
1.1.58  GregTx  replied to  Ender @1.1.57    2 years ago

I have no idea, but as the article states Biden supended the policy on day one.

Ender
Professor Principal
1.1.59  Ender  replied to  GregTx @1.1.58    2 years ago

It just seems to me that no matter the administration or laws, they keep coming. Decade after decade.

GregTx
PhD Guide
1.1.60  GregTx  replied to  Ender @1.1.59    2 years ago

Well.... yeah. And?

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
1.1.61  Jack_TX  replied to  Ender @1.1.51    2 years ago
The student loan thing is on hold by the courts I thought.

That's the forgiveness thing.  That's different from the "temporary" suspended payments thing.   Nobody has been required to pay on student loans since mid 2020.  Biden keeps extending the payment holiday because he likes spoiling the grandkids.

The rest of what you said it seems like most administrations did similar things. trump also had a huge stimulus package.

Trump had a huge stimulus, but we were actually in a pandemic with the economy forcibly shut down for public health reasons.  Biden has continued most of that and increased much of it, even though we're obviously not in a public health crisis anymore.  Another part of the problem is that we're just giving out money like it's candy at halloween.  We're not getting productivity in return.  

If you spend govt money on new roads or new public housing or whatever, people produce stuff.  The extra stuff they produce keeps the supply/demand balance under control.  If you just create a truckload of money and then give it to people for no increase in productivity, you cause inflation.

As far as the border, they were no more afraid of trump than any other administration.

The math disagrees with you most vehemently.

Crime...Does the death penalty stop murders? No it does not.

Your reasoning here may be as indefensible as anything you've ever undertaken.  Do you favor gun control?  Why?  Do you favor hate crime legislation?  Why?  Do you favor speed limits on interstate highways?  Why? 

All administrations spend like drunken sailors.

Most don't spend like Biden is, and they usually get something in return.  

Ender
Professor Principal
1.1.62  Ender  replied to  Jack_TX @1.1.61    2 years ago
Your reasoning here may be as indefensible as anything you've ever undertaken

How so? I favor laws because they punish. What you are citing is public safety.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
1.1.63  Sparty On  replied to  Ender @1.1.53    2 years ago

Lol .... the real irony here is .... your choice of Avatar.

Hilariously ironic considering your “projections of peace” here towards folks who simply just don’t agree with you.

Peace man!   jrSmiley_34_smiley_image.gif

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
1.1.64  Jack_TX  replied to  Ender @1.1.62    2 years ago
How so? I favor laws because they punish. What you are citing is public safety.

I am referring to laws that protect public safety because they are deterrents, which is utterly obvious and you know it.  You just don't want to admit you said something ridiculous.

Ender
Professor Principal
1.1.65  Ender  replied to  Jack_TX @1.1.64    2 years ago

There are public safety laws because it was determined that some things are unacceptable in society.

Does it stop people from breaking the laws? No it does not.

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
1.1.66  Jack_TX  replied to  Ender @1.1.65    2 years ago
There are public safety laws because it was determined that some things are unacceptable in society.

Yes.... almost there.....

Does it stop people from breaking the laws? No it does not.

The laws absolutely deter behaviors in the majority of people. Suggesting they do not is completely asinine.  

Ender
Professor Principal
1.1.67  Ender  replied to  Jack_TX @1.1.66    2 years ago

How many people speed every day, how may people smoke pot everyday, how many people drink and drive everyday.

I could go on.

GregTx
PhD Guide
1.1.68  GregTx  replied to  Ender @1.1.67    2 years ago

So you're saying that enforcement of the laws aren't stringent enough?

Ender
Professor Principal
1.1.69  Ender  replied to  GregTx @1.1.68    2 years ago

I am saying, no matter what laws are in place there will be people to break them. They get caught and are punished appropriately.

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
1.1.70  Jack_TX  replied to  Ender @1.1.67    2 years ago
How many people speed every day, how may people smoke pot everyday, how many people drink and drive everyday. I could go on.

How many more people would speed every day, how many more would smoke pot every day, and how many people used to drink and drive every day?

Tens of millions. 

I could go on.

You could go on for a thousand years and still never make sense with this line of nonsense.  

Next you'll be telling us that major corporations spend billions of dollars attempting to control pollution because they're just good citizens.  It has nothing to do with the laws in place to penalize them if they don't.  Riiiiiight.

Ender
Professor Principal
1.1.71  Ender  replied to  Jack_TX @1.1.70    2 years ago

No matter what you say, laws were not put in place as a 'deterrent'...

Laws were put in place to try to stop or curb certain actions.

GregTx
PhD Guide
1.1.72  GregTx  replied to  Ender @1.1.71    2 years ago

Yes, that makes much more sense.......

Ender
Professor Principal
1.1.73  Ender  replied to  GregTx @1.1.72    2 years ago

If you think laws were not put in place to try to stop  or slow certain actions, what were they put in place for?

GregTx
PhD Guide
1.1.74  GregTx  replied to  Ender @1.1.73    2 years ago

Stop or slow?? Do you mean deter?

Ender
Professor Principal
1.1.75  Ender  replied to  GregTx @1.1.74    2 years ago

No, I mean to try to stop. Laws are not suggestions.

I do not steal because laws are a deterrent, I don't steal because I personally think it is wrong. Do laws against shoplifting or stealing something from a neighborhood stop the people that want to steal? No they steal anyway.

I do not murder because there are laws against it, I do not murder because it is not in my nature and I think it is morally wrong.

Yet people that want to murder are not deterred...

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
1.1.76  Jack_TX  replied to  Ender @1.1.71    2 years ago
No matter what you say, laws were not put in place as a 'deterrent'... Laws were put in place to try to stop or curb certain actions. 

Do you understand what the word "deterrent" means?

Are you being funny intentionally?

Gazoo
Junior Silent
1.1.77  Gazoo  replied to  Ender @1.1.71    2 years ago

“No matter what you say, laws were not put in place as a 'deterrent'...

Laws were put in place to try to stop or curb certain actions”

jrSmiley_30_smiley_image.gif jrSmiley_88_smiley_image.gif jrSmiley_78_smiley_image.gif

Ender
Professor Principal
1.1.78  Ender  replied to  Jack_TX @1.1.76    2 years ago

Nope. Sorry, I think laws are a means of punishment.

GregTx
PhD Guide
1.1.79  GregTx  replied to  Ender @1.1.78    2 years ago

Ahh so your saying that laws are only meant to punish rather than be rules for civilized society? Are you libertarian?

Ender
Professor Principal
1.1.80  Ender  replied to  GregTx @1.1.79    2 years ago

A 'civilized society' wouldn't need laws...

What are laws really, a standard set where punitive action can be taken.

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
1.1.81  Jack_TX  replied to  Ender @1.1.78    2 years ago
Nope. Sorry, I think laws are a means of punishment.

Hold on, you just said:

Laws were put in place to try to stop or curb certain actions.

Which, BTW is what "deterrent" means.

So we're going to need you to make up your mind.

Out of curiosity, what do you think punishment does, exactly?

Ender
Professor Principal
1.1.82  Ender  replied to  Jack_TX @1.1.81    2 years ago

My mind has been the same and has not changed.

Out of curiosity, what do you think punishment does, exactly?

Uh, punish?...

Ender
Professor Principal
1.1.83  Ender  replied to  Jack_TX @1.1.81    2 years ago

I will say that I will agree with you that some people take laws as a deterrent. 

Doesn't mean I am going against my original stance.

Some people will drive the speed limit and be deterred yet deterred of what? Getting punished.

I still keep my stance that with larger crimes laws are still not a deterrent. No one that commits murder is thinking of laws.

GregTx
PhD Guide
1.1.84  GregTx  replied to  Ender @1.1.83    2 years ago
No one that commits murder is thinking of laws.

It's curious then why so many who do, try to hide it.....

Ender
Professor Principal
1.1.85  Ender  replied to  GregTx @1.1.84    2 years ago

Afterthought.

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
1.1.86  Jack_TX  replied to  Ender @1.1.83    2 years ago
I will say that I will agree with you that some people take laws as a deterrent. 

Excellent.  

Some people will drive the speed limit and be deterred yet deterred of what? Getting punished.

Yes.  Hence the concept of punishment as a deterrent.

I still keep my stance that with larger crimes laws are still not a deterrent. 

They are.  

No one that commits murder is thinking of laws.

Which is the difference between "deterrent" and "prevention".  If it worked on everybody it would be "prevention".   It works on some unknown number of people, just like speed limits do.  

Sparty On
Professor Principal
1.1.87  Sparty On  replied to  Jack_TX @1.1.86    2 years ago

She’s missing the whole point of most laws.    

Most laws are promulgated with at least the intention of creating a more civil society.    Speed limits are a great example.    Speed limits save lives.   That is a proven fact.    One can chose to speed and face more stringent penalties if they hurt someone while speeding as opposed to just speeding  and not hurting someone.

Seems logical to me.    I don’t see what the confusion is.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
2  Sparty On    2 years ago

Vindman is a political hack but thanks for your service hive bait.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
2.1  author  Vic Eldred  replied to  Sparty On @2    2 years ago

Unfortunately, Vindman wears it on his sleave.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
2.1.1  Sparty On  replied to  Vic Eldred @2.1    2 years ago

He’s an excellent useful idiot.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
3  JohnRussell    2 years ago

This little article got off to a "good" start. The very first sentence

As Donald Trump takes on his new role, either forcibly or voluntarily, as simply the MAGA wing founder,

is utter nonsense. 

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
3.1  author  Vic Eldred  replied to  JohnRussell @3    2 years ago

You still hope he'll get the nomination?

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
4  author  Vic Eldred    2 years ago

FikxsKlWYAADujh?format=png&name=360x360

Are they real?

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
4.1  Jasper2529  replied to  Vic Eldred @4    2 years ago
Are they real?

I don't exactly know how Twitter works, but it seems that all of them made the same comment at the same time but only one (Vindman) has a check mark that verifies a real person and has the largest amount of votes.

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
4.2  Sean Treacy  replied to  Vic Eldred @4    2 years ago

Vindman operating a troll farm to influence us policy?   Too funny. 

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
5  author  Vic Eldred    2 years ago

FipKW8TVsAA9zQm?format=jpg&name=small

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
5.1  Jasper2529  replied to  Vic Eldred @5    2 years ago

That's hilarious!

George
Sophomore Expert
5.2  George  replied to  Vic Eldred @5    2 years ago

I didn’t know that idiot was still on the air.

JBB
Professor Principal
6  JBB    2 years ago

Hilarious that Trumpsters admire Elon so much...

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
6.1  Jeremy Retired in NC  replied to  JBB @6    2 years ago

The question is why you fear him so much.

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
7  Sean Treacy    2 years ago

It is amazing how much vitriol and hate is directed as Musk for the crime of supporting free speech. Samuel Bankman Fried squandered and stole billions from customers and the left didn't blink an eye.  But Musk committed the unpardonable sin of taking the governor off conservative accounts on twitter. 

[deleted]

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
7.1  JohnRussell  replied to  Sean Treacy @7    2 years ago

I certainly dont hate Elon Musk, although his social media in combination with his fame make him detrimental to the country.  Some people naturally respect those who are successful in business, as if business success equates to a good character.  It does not. Musk has shown himself to be an erratic personality and those type of people should never have great power.

Drinker of the Wry
Junior Expert
7.1.1  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  JohnRussell @7.1    2 years ago
Some people naturally respect those who are successful in business, as if business success equates to a good character. 

Exactly, some of our folks with the best good character are perpetually business failures.

Musk has shown himself to be an erratic personality and those type of people should never have great power.

We need legislation and regulation that restricts erratic personalities to the business involvement thatn they can have.  Any ideas? 

George
Sophomore Expert
7.1.2  George  replied to  JohnRussell @7.1    2 years ago

Glad to see you consider yourself the arbiter of who should have great power. What exactly are your qualifications again?

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
7.1.3  Sean Treacy  replied to  JohnRussell @7.1    2 years ago
Musk has shown himself to be an erratic personality and those type of people should never have great power.

His "great power" that enrages the left consists of letting people speak their minds on a social media site. 

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
7.1.4  Jack_TX  replied to  JohnRussell @7.1    2 years ago
although his social media in combination with his fame make him detrimental to the country.

Why?

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
7.1.5  Greg Jones  replied to  George @7.1.2    2 years ago
Glad to see you consider yourself the arbiter of who should have great power. What exactly are your qualifications again?

Graduated from high school?  jrSmiley_99_smiley_image.jpg

bbl-1
Professor Quiet
7.1.6  bbl-1  replied to  George @7.1.2    2 years ago

Strange.  That is not at all what John said.

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
7.1.7  Thrawn 31  replied to  Sean Treacy @7.1.3    2 years ago

He can do whatever the fuck he wants with Twitter, he owns it. If he wants to allow people to say whatever they want on it that is perfectly fine. That being said he also doesn’t get to bitch when other companies or people decide they no longer want to be associated with the platform.

He can run his company how he wants, provided he isn’t breaking the law, but he can’t make me use shitter, and he can’t make a company like Coca Cola pay for ad space on it. 

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
8  Jeremy Retired in NC    2 years ago
The unforgivable crime that Musk committed was buying the left's favorite safe space known as "Twitter." Musk disrupted the Twitter scheme to normalize censorship.

And the left have been in freak out mode ever since (not that they ever come off it)

The latest outcry comes from the democrats not so secret whistleblower AKA: Alexander Vindman. Yesterday Vindman called Musk a “purveyor of hate and division.”

The fact he thinks he has any kind of credibility after being caught altering official documents back in 2019 is hilarious.

bbl-1
Professor Quiet
9  bbl-1    2 years ago

Musk is full of crap.  Does he have a passing affinity for Putin?

Besides, the left's bogeyman have always been the fascist.

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
10  Thrawn 31    2 years ago

I have always thought Elon Musk was kind of a jackass. Definitely someone with an overinflated opinion of himself who is prone to saying some pretty dumb shit. His nonsense with Twitter, which I have always thought was stupid and never used, has merely reinforced my previously held opinion. He is definitely showing himself to be a major drama queen.

But hey, he is gonna do what he is gonna do and I am going to continue on with my life regardless. Elon Musk is not a factor in my life in any way shape or form except as an occasional conversational topic or something to laugh at.

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
11  Ed-NavDoc    2 years ago

When one is one of the wealthiest people on Earth and does in fact wield considerable influence, of course some people are going to hate him whether as a matter of principle or just flat out envy. Just human nature.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
12  author  Vic Eldred    2 years ago

Let's never forget what they told us:

FjaKLaqVIAAPLg7?format=jpg&name=small

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
12.1  Jasper2529  replied to  Vic Eldred @12    2 years ago

Birx, Collins, Cuomo, Murphy, Newsom, Kamala Harris, and some others should also be included in that list of liars.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
12.1.1  author  Vic Eldred  replied to  Jasper2529 @12.1    2 years ago

Birx at least apologized, somewhat