╌>

George Santos Faces Calls to Resign From Long Island GOP Leaders - The New York Times

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  perrie-halpern  •  last year  •  50 comments

By:   Michael Gold and Grace Ashford (nytimes)

George Santos Faces Calls to Resign From Long Island GOP Leaders - The New York Times
The rejection by Republican leaders in Nassau County is the sharpest denunciation from Mr. Santos's party, whose leaders in Washington have mostly stayed mum.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

The rejection by Republican leaders in Nassau County is the sharpest denunciation from Mr. Santos's party, whose leaders in Washington have mostly stayed mum.The first-year Republican lawmaker, representing parts of Queens and Long Island, admitted to lying about his background, education and finances.CreditCredit...Tom Brenner for The New York Times

By Michael Gold and Grace Ashford

Jan. 11, 2023Updated 12:33 p.m. ET

WESTBURY, N.Y. — Republican officials on Long Island, including Representative Anthony D'Esposito, called on Wednesday for Representative George Santos to resign, as he faces multiple inquiries into his finances, campaign spending and fabrications on the campaign trail.

The Nassau County party chairman, Joseph G. Cairo Jr., said Mr. Santos, a first-term Republican, had lost the confidence of Republicans in his district, saying that Mr. Santos's campaign was one of "deceit, lies, fabrication."

"He's disgraced the House of Representatives, and we do not consider him one of our congresspeople," Mr. Cairo said. "Today on behalf of the Nassau County Republican committee. I am calling for his immediate resignation."

Joining via video from Washington, Mr. D'Esposito, who represents a district just to the south of Mr. Santos, said that his Republican colleague had violated the trust from "not only the voters, but people across America."

Mr. D'Esposito said he "will not associate with him in Congress and I will encourage other representatives in the House of Representatives to join me in rejecting him."

The calls for Mr. Santos's resignation mark the sharpest denunciation yet of the congressman's behavior from Republicans after reporting in The New York Times uncovered that Mr. Santos had made false claims about his educational and professional background and raised questions about his business, his financial disclosures and his campaign expenses.

They also add to the mounting pressure facing Mr. Santos, who is currently the subject of inquiries by federal and local prosecutors over whether his financial dealings or lies on the campaign trail warrant criminal charges.

This week alone, Mr. Santos, 34, has been the subject of two formal ethics complaints. On Tuesday, two Democratic lawmakers filed a formal complaint asking the House's bipartisan Committee on Ethics to investigate whether Mr. Santos ran afoul of the law when he filed his required financial disclosures late and without key details about his bank accounts and business.

A day earlier, a watchdog group, the Campaign Legal Center, called on the Federal Election Commission to investigate the congressman, accusing him of improperly using campaign funds for personal expenses, misrepresenting his spending and hiding the true sources of his campaign money.

Brazilian law enforcement officials have also said they were reviving fraud charges against Mr. Santos tied to a 2008 incident involving a stolen checkbook, after the case was disclosed in The Times's report.

Mr. Cairo's rebuke, in particular, represents a significant break between Mr. Santos and an organization that was integral in helping the congressman secure his seat, which covers a large swath of Nassau County and a much smaller section of northeast Queens.

It also marks a sharp division between local Republicans and their state and national counterparts. In the weeks since The Times's story, the House's speaker, Kevin McCarthy, has largely remained silent about the ongoing controversy, though he told a reporter for CNN that he did not expect Mr. Santos to receive assignments for choice committees.

Mr. Santos supported Mr. McCarthy in his protracted fight to become speaker last week. But Mr. McCarthy has not commented publicly on reports by CNBC and The Washington Times that someone working with Mr. Santos's campaign impersonated Mr. McCarthy's chief of staff in order to raise money from donors.

On Tuesday, the Republican majority leader, Representative Steve Scalise of Louisiana, said that party leadership would handle questions over Mr. Santos "internally" but acknowledged that "there were concerns" he and others wanted addressed. Representative Elise Stefanik of New York, the third-ranking House Republican, told a Spectrum News reporter that "this is going to play itself out."

Other rank-and-file Republicans have been more outspoken in their condemnations. Representative Nick LaLota, another first-term lawmaker representing parts of Long Island, called for a House ethics investigation last month. Representative Anthony D'Esposito, whose district includes parts of Nassau County, told NBC News on Tuesday that he supported an ethics investigation as well.

On Tuesday, Representative Dusty Johnson of South Dakota told CNN that he did not believe Mr. Santos should be seated on House committees "until we had a deeper understanding of exactly what went on in his campaign."

After Mr. Santos admitted to The New York Post that he had lied about parts of his background, Mr. Cairo said he was "deeply disappointed" in what he called Mr. Santos's "blanket apology."

Days later, Mr. Cairo said the Nassau County committee would not support Mr. Santos if he were to run again for his seat in 2024, but he still stopped short of calling on Mr. Santos to step down.

Continue reading the main story

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
1  seeder  Perrie Halpern R.A.    last year

I don't usually post political articles, but I did this one because Santos is my rep and because it shows that party loyal can do the right thing. He needs to go.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1.1  JohnRussell  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @1    last year

He's not going anywhere. McCarthy is giving him committee assignments. 

You can be an utter fraud and be a GOP politician in good standing.  Thank MAGA for that. 

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
1.1.1  Vic Eldred  replied to  JohnRussell @1.1    last year
McCarthy is giving him committee assignments. 

That is NOT TRUE!

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
1.2  Greg Jones  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @1    last year

He needs to go and be replaced by a moderate Republican

devangelical
Professor Principal
1.2.1  devangelical  replied to  Greg Jones @1.2    last year

moderate republicans went extinct...

santos won't be going anywhere. he represents freedom caucus values too perfectly.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
1.2.2  seeder  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Greg Jones @1.2    last year

I totally agree. I'm glad to see Long Islands republicans taking the lead on this without excuses.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
1.2.3  Trout Giggles  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @1.2.2    last year

Can they force him to resign?

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
1.2.4  seeder  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Trout Giggles @1.2.3    last year

I think they can.

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
1.2.5  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @1.2.4    last year

Didn't they do that to Al Franken? Or did he just succumb to the pressure?

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
1.3  Trout Giggles  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @1    last year

Oh dear, God...he's your congress critter? I'm sorry

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
1.3.1  seeder  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Trout Giggles @1.3    last year

Yeah, me too.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
1.4  Vic Eldred  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @1    last year

If he needs to go then so does Biden.

Btw we had all kinds of gymnastics to keep this same story trending for three weeks.

It isn't a news story!

Ender
Professor Principal
1.4.1  Ender  replied to  Vic Eldred @1.4    last year
It isn't a news story!

Only because you don't want it to be...

I see you just want to make excuses about it.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
1.4.2  seeder  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Vic Eldred @1.4    last year

Give me a break.

Btw we had all kinds of gymnastics to keep this same story trending for three weeks.

Maybe you missed today's press conference from Long Island. This is news as long as he remains.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
1.4.3  Vic Eldred  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @1.4.2    last year
Give me a break.

Why not? They lie in the exact same way. Biden & cornpop?  Him going to jail for Mandela? Where do I begin?

Maybe you missed today's press conference from Long Island.

I did miss it.

This is news as long as he remains.

Ok.

Ender
Professor Principal
1.4.4  Ender  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @1.4.2    last year

Yep. Where else can someone completely fabricate everything about their life and still have a job...

I don't think there is one aspect he didn't lie about.

Ender
Professor Principal
1.4.5  Ender  replied to  Vic Eldred @1.4.3    last year

Is this the same person that stuck up for trump for years on end? Then complain about Biden....

Comical.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
1.4.6  seeder  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Ender @1.4.4    last year

It's beyond lying. It's also about 700K that he has not disclosed. It's every aspect of his candidacy. 

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
1.4.7  Vic Eldred  replied to  Ender @1.4.4    last year

As Biden's mentor once said: "Elections have consequences!"

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
1.4.8  Vic Eldred  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @1.4.6    last year

How did the democrats not vet him?

Where was the New York Times?

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
1.4.9  Trout Giggles  replied to  Ender @1.4.1    last year

Why is Vic even commenting on this seed if he doesn't think it's a news story? [Deleted]

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
1.4.10  Trout Giggles  replied to  Ender @1.4.5    last year

It's hypocritical is what it is

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
1.4.11  Sean Treacy  replied to  Vic Eldred @1.4    last year

It's amazing.  Democrats lying about their background/education/business dealings/ sexually assaulting someone/ or mishandling classified information always end up  on the "it's perfectly okay" side of the line  while Republicans are  inevitably put across the line and have to resign or go to jail.  

Amazing coincidence how these lines always get drawn by progressives to their partisan advantage.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
1.4.12  Vic Eldred  replied to  Trout Giggles @1.4.9    last year

Well, you see, there are a few things that had to be said. One was correcting the false statement that Santos would be given a Committee assignment. That has already been ruled out. The other thing is that Santos is defiant about ever resigning.

For the record.

Ender
Professor Principal
1.4.13  Ender  replied to  Sean Treacy @1.4.11    last year

So I guess you are proud to have him in your ranks...

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
1.4.14  Vic Eldred  replied to  Ender @1.4.13    last year

So I guess you are proud of Joe and Hunter and Hillary etc etc.

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
1.4.15  Sean Treacy  replied to  Ender @1.4.13    last year
So I guess you are proud to have him in your ranks

could you miss the point by more? 

I already said he should resign.  

Ender
Professor Principal
1.4.16  Ender  replied to  Vic Eldred @1.4.14    last year

Look squirrel  ---->

Ender
Professor Principal
1.4.17  Ender  replied to  Sean Treacy @1.4.15    last year

So Vic is the only one sticking up for him then?

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
1.4.18  Vic Eldred  replied to  Sean Treacy @1.4.11    last year

It's incredible. There is only one person who can get Santos to resign: The Speaker, and since this is obviously all about House votes, McCarthy will do the same thing that Pelosi would do. Unless Santos committed a criminal act: he stays.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
1.4.19  Vic Eldred  replied to  Ender @1.4.16    last year

Look: 

th?id=OIP.fFLrmmIBuKJoBQzgH7bjTAAAAA&pid=Api&rs=1&c=1&qlt=95&w=74&h=111

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
1.4.20  Vic Eldred  replied to  Ender @1.4.17    last year
[deleted]

Ender
Professor Principal
1.4.21  Ender  replied to  Vic Eldred @1.4.19    last year

So in your estimation he is a stand up guy?

Tell us from your own mouth instead of dancing around it.

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
1.4.22  Sean Treacy  replied to  Vic Eldred @1.4.18    last year
here is only one person who can get Santos to resign: The Speaker,

Even he can't do that.  He was elected. He can't be denied a seat by anyone.  Per the Supreme Court, . "In judging the qualifications of its members under Art. I, § 5, Congress is limited to the standing qualifications expressly prescribed by the Constitution."

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
1.4.23  Vic Eldred  replied to  Sean Treacy @1.4.22    last year

I stand corrected.

So unless they can dig up something criminal, Santos stays.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
1.4.24  Vic Eldred  replied to  Vic Eldred @1.4.23    last year

"New York GOP Rep. George Santos said Wednesday that he will not resign despite calls from party leaders from Nassau County, N.Y., over his largely fabricated life resume that help him win office last November. "

https://justthenews.com/government/congress/gop-rep-george-santos-refuses-resign-despite-calls-new-york-republican-leaders?utm_source=sf&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=twjs

Ronin2
Professor Quiet
1.4.25  Ronin2  replied to  Ender @1.4.4    last year

Brandon is that you?

Ronin2
Professor Quiet
1.4.26  Ronin2  replied to  Ender @1.4.5    last year

Same as those that screamed about Trump lying; and then ignore Brandon's never ending lies.

afrayedknot
Junior Quiet
1.4.27  afrayedknot  replied to  Vic Eldred @1.4.23    last year

“So unless they can dig up something criminal, Santos stays.”

Remember this when the impending and imperious impeachment hearings commence.

Ronin2
Professor Quiet
1.4.28  Ronin2  replied to  afrayedknot @1.4.27    last year

Where were you during the Democrats' two impeachment hearings of Trump?

afrayedknot
Junior Quiet
1.4.29  afrayedknot  replied to  Ronin2 @1.4.28    last year

Watching intently…given actual evidence of malfeasance. 

Snuffy
Professor Participates
1.4.30  Snuffy  replied to  afrayedknot @1.4.27    last year

Who's gonna impeach Santos?  The U.S. House of Representatives?   

I believe the New York AG is looking into Santos but I don't know if they have opened an official investigation.  I think about the only thing they could prosecute for would be if he hid campaign contributions or played games with the money, but doesn't campaign finance issues normally result in fines?  So I suspect that Santos is in the House for the next two years.  Wouldn't bet a plug nickel on his re-election chances however..

Snuffy
Professor Participates
1.4.31  Snuffy  replied to  Sean Treacy @1.4.22    last year
here is only one person who can get Santos to resign: The Speaker,
Even he can't do that.  He was elected. He can't be denied a seat by anyone.  Per the Supreme Court, . "In judging the qualifications of its members under Art. I, § 5, Congress is limited to the standing qualifications expressly prescribed by the Constitution."

Actually in reading thru Article 1 Section 5 Clause 2, I believe the House can expel Santos.  It would require a 2/3rd vote of the Chamber to do so.

However due to the small number of Republicans in the House and that to replace Santos would entail a special election with no guarantee that a Republican would win that special election I doubt if the House will expel him.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
1.4.32  Vic Eldred  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @1.4.6    last year
It's also about 700K that he has not disclosed.

You made have something in that case.

afrayedknot
Junior Quiet
2  afrayedknot    last year

“He needs to go.”

If we can agree that we hold elected officials to a standard that we expect from our children, we would all be better served. 

Ronin2
Professor Quiet
2.1  Ronin2  replied to  afrayedknot @2    last year

You wouldn't have any elected officials then.

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
3  Sean Treacy    last year

He should. But why would a grifter give up a paycheck?

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
3.1  Greg Jones  replied to  Sean Treacy @3    last year

Lots of those grifters occupy Democrat seats.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
3.1.1  seeder  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Greg Jones @3.1    last year

Well, if you ask me more reps from both parties are grifters. The job creates that.

Ronin2
Professor Quiet
3.1.2  Ronin2  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @3.1.1    last year

That we can agree upon. If they aren't corrupt before they hit the DC cesspool- they are quickly converted after they arrive. "Take the money and shut up!"