╌>

New rules would limit sugar in school meals for first time | AP News

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  perrie-halpern  •  last year  •  82 comments

By:   AP NEWS

New rules would limit sugar in school meals for first time | AP News
U.S. agriculture officials on Friday proposed new nutrition standards for school meals , including the first limits on added sugars, with a focus on sweetened foods such as cereals, yogurt, flavored milk and breakfast pastries.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

U.S. agriculture officials on Friday proposed new nutrition standards for school meals, including the first limits on added sugars, with a focus on sweetened foods such as cereals, yogurt, flavored milk and breakfast pastries.

The plan announced by Agriculture Secretary Tom Vilsack also seeks to significantly decrease sodium in the meals served to the nation's schoolkids by 2029, while making the rules for foods made with whole grains more flexible.

The goal is to improve nutrition and align with U.S. dietary guidelines in the program that serves breakfast to more than 15 million children and lunch to nearly 30 million children every day, Vilsack said.

"School meals happen to be the meals with the highest nutritional value of any meal that children can get outside the home," Vilsack said in an interview.

The first limits on added sugars would be required in the 2025-2026 school year, starting with high-sugar foods such as sweetened cereals, yogurts and flavored milks.

Under the plan, for instance, an 8-ounce container of chocolate milk could contain no more than 10 grams of sugar. Some popular flavored milks now contain twice that amount. The plan also limits sugary grain desserts, such as muffins or doughnuts, to no more than twice a week at breakfast.

By the fall of 2027, added sugars in school meals would be limited to less than 10% of the total calories per week for breakfasts and lunches.

The proposal also would reduce sodium in school meals by 30% by the fall of 2029. They would gradually be reduced to align with federal guidelines, which recommend Americans aged 14 and older limit sodium to about 2,300 milligrams a day, with less for younger children.

Levels would drop, for instance, from an average of about 1,280 milligrams of sodium allowed now per lunch for kids in grades 9 to 12 to about 935 milligrams. For comparison, a typical turkey sandwich with mustard and cheese might contain 1,500 milligrams of sodium.

Health experts say cutting back on sugar and salt can help decrease the risk of disease in kids, including obesity, diabetes, high blood pressure and other problems that often continue into adulthood.

The plan, detailed in a 280-page document, drew mixed reactions. Katie Wilson, executive director of the Urban School Food Alliance, said the changes are "necessary to help America's children lead healthier lives."

But Diane Pratt-Heavner, spokeswoman for the School Nutrition Association, a trade group, said school meals are already healthier than they were a decade ago and that increased regulations are a burden, especially for small and rural school districts.

"School meal programs are at a breaking point," she said. "These programs are simply not equipped to meet additional rules."

Vilsack emphasized that the plan phases changes in over the next six years to allow schools and food manufacturers time to adjust to the new standards. He said in a press conference Friday that the USDA will also fund grants of up to $150,000 to help small and rural schools make the changes.

"Our hope is that many school districts and food providers accelerate the timeline on their own," he said.

Courtney Gaine, president of the Sugar Association, said the proposal ignores the "many functional roles" sugar plays in food beyond sweetness and encourages the use of sugar substitutes, which have not been fully studied in children. Sugar substitutes are allowed under the new standards, Vilsack said.

As part of the plan, agriculture officials are seeking feedback about a proposal that would continue to require that 80% of all grains offered in a week must be whole grains. But it would allow schools to serve non-whole grain foods, such as white-flour tortillas, one day a week to vary their menus.

Another option suggests serving unflavored nonfat and lowfat milk to the youngest children and reserving chocolate and other flavored milks for high school kids.

A 60-day public comment period on the plan opens Feb. 7.

Shiriki Kumanyika, a community health expert at Drexel University's Dornsife School of Public Health said if they're done right some of the changes will be hard for kids to notice: "They'll see things that they like to eat, but those foods will be healthier," she said.

___

This story has been corrected to fix the spelling the president of the Sugar Association. It is Courtney Gaine, not Courtney Gaines.

___

AP Videojournalist Shelby Lum and AP Science Writer Maddie Burakoff contributed to this report.

___

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

al Jizzerror
Masters Expert
1  al Jizzerror    last year

I wonder if the increasing number of students who exhibit ADHD will begin to decline?

zuksam
Junior Silent
1.1  zuksam  replied to  al Jizzerror @1    last year

We had Coffee milk in the 70's in grade school lunch room, chocolate too. In the 80's JR and SR High the sports teams raised money through the sale of soda, snacks, and chocolate bars. They sold soda and chips in the lunchrooms and kids would carry tote boxes full of candy to class and you could buy candy bars in just about any class you were in, or in the hall or before and after school (I loved the caramel filled chocolate bars). 

Tessylo
Professor Principal
1.1.1  Tessylo  replied to  zuksam @1.1    last year

Yeah, and?  You're good at stating the obvious.  

[deleted]

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
1.1.2  Trout Giggles  replied to  zuksam @1.1    last year

We people selling candy, too. I did for honor society so I could go to NYC. But we weren't allowed to sell them in the lunch room

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
1.1.3  sandy-2021492  replied to  Trout Giggles @1.1.2    last year

We weren't allowed to sell cookies to raise funds for chorus in the lunch room, either.

And we had a vending machine for fruit juices only - no soda.  Eventually, we got vending machines that sold soda and snacks, but they had automatic timers that preventing them from operating during school hours.

charger 383
Professor Silent
1.1.4  charger 383  replied to  sandy-2021492 @1.1.3    last year

We had a "Pop Room" with soda machines but it and Ice cream room did not get opened until lunch line closed and there were soda machines in the locker rooms.  

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
1.1.5  sandy-2021492  replied to  charger 383 @1.1.4    last year

The vending machines were in the building where the cafeteria, band room, and choir room were housed.  It was separate from the main building.  It was usually open after the main building was locked, to allow for choir and band rehearsals, and because we had to walk through it to get to the student parking lot and gym, if we had after-school sports.  When we sold cookies for fundraisers, it was in the hallway outside of the lunch room.  There was a line for the vending machines at 3:30, which is when the dismissal bell rang.

Speaking of sports, band, and choir that's part of the problem, too.  I think something like 60% of our student body participated in school sports - some kids played multiple sports.  And the choir and band were large, too, for a school our size.  For choir, we did choreography, so it was a fair bit of exercise.  And the band kids marched for hours after school.  We worked our lunches off.  There were quite a few nights when I rushed between softball practice and a choir rehearsal - I didn't stop moving from the time school let out until I got home at 8 or so.  The kids who went to band camp said they worked off several pounds during that week in summer.  I don't think as many kids play sports now, and not nearly as many participate in choir or band.

al Jizzerror
Masters Expert
1.1.6  al Jizzerror  replied to  sandy-2021492 @1.1.5    last year
The kids who went to band camp said they worked off several pounds during that week in summer.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
1.1.7  Trout Giggles  replied to  sandy-2021492 @1.1.5    last year

I had a high metabolism when I was young so I could eat as much as my dad but never get to his size. I also had chores which kept me active

devangelical
Professor Principal
1.1.8  devangelical  replied to  Trout Giggles @1.1.7    last year

I had a job all the way thru high school, that I received credits for.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
1.2  Tessylo  replied to  al Jizzerror @1    last year

I'm just waiting for all those morons complaining about feeding their kids nutritional foods.  Remember when First Lady Michelle Obama was re-vamping school menus to be healthy, all the whining and complaints from morons and videos of their brat children throwing away their lunches and complaining that they were hungry.  How dare we want our children to eat healthy!

devangelical
Professor Principal
1.2.1  devangelical  replied to  Tessylo @1.2    last year

rwnj indoctrination. get their kids to swallow shit at school and they'll more easily swallow the same shit from the rwnj media bubble their parents are swallowing.

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
1.2.2  Ozzwald  replied to  Tessylo @1.2    last year
Remember when First Lady Michelle Obama was re-vamping school menus to be healthy, all the whining and complaints from morons and videos of their brat children throwing away their lunches and complaining that they were hungry.

Wasn't that when republicans declared ketchup as a vegetable to meet new guidelines?

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.2.3  Texan1211  replied to  Ozzwald @1.2.2    last year
Wasn't that when republicans declared ketchup as a vegetable to meet new guidelines?

No.

Just no.

Way earlier--under Reagan. Due to cuts under Carter.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
1.2.4  Trout Giggles  replied to  Ozzwald @1.2.2    last year

That was Reagan

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
1.2.5  Ozzwald  replied to  Trout Giggles @1.2.4    last year
That was Reagan

You are correct.  I remember that being referenced at the time, but never looked into the origin.

devangelical
Professor Principal
1.3  devangelical  replied to  al Jizzerror @1    last year

I gave up sugar over 15 years ago. there's enough in processed foods already. I put honey in my coffee.

devangelical
Professor Principal
1.3.1  devangelical  replied to  devangelical @1.3    last year

... 75 lbs. ago. I don't do any artificial sweeteners either.

al Jizzerror
Masters Expert
1.3.2  al Jizzerror  replied to  devangelical @1.3.1    last year
... 75 lbs. ago. I don't do any artificial sweeteners either.

jrSmiley_13_smiley_image.gif

devangelical
Professor Principal
1.3.3  devangelical  replied to  al Jizzerror @1.3.2    last year

I'm wearing the same size levi's I wore in high school now...

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
1.3.4  Trout Giggles  replied to  devangelical @1.3.3    last year

Men!

devangelical
Professor Principal
1.3.5  devangelical  replied to  Trout Giggles @1.3.4    last year

they actually fit better now that I'm not 17 and suffering from 50+ boners per day...

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
1.3.6  sandy-2021492  replied to  devangelical @1.3.5    last year

I'm really glad I was finished with my coffee before I read this.

devangelical
Professor Principal
1.3.7  devangelical  replied to  sandy-2021492 @1.3.6    last year

unfortunately the successful resolution rate of that particular problem wasn't represented by a full percentage point during that time period.

cjcold
Professor Quiet
1.4  cjcold  replied to  al Jizzerror @1    last year

Read a book called Sugar Blues once. Have been curtailing my use of sugar ever since.

Kavika
Professor Principal
2  Kavika     last year

37 million Americans have diabetes around 10% of the population and diabetes leads to other serious health issues. It's about time that sugar was limited in our schools.

SteevieGee
Professor Silent
3  SteevieGee    last year

Ron Desantis signs law requiring more sugar in school lunches in 5... 4... 3...

Texan1211
Professor Principal
3.1  Texan1211  replied to  SteevieGee @3    last year

Why the ridiculous comment?

SteevieGee
Professor Silent
3.1.1  SteevieGee  replied to  Texan1211 @3.1    last year

Ridiculous you say?

You just wait.  He'll come out in favor of sugar over health.

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
3.1.2  Greg Jones  replied to  SteevieGee @3.1.1    last year

What's wrong with sugar in moderation

SteevieGee
Professor Silent
3.1.3  SteevieGee  replied to  Greg Jones @3.1.2    last year
What's wrong with sugar in moderation

All fruits and vegetables have natural sugars in them so we're talking about added sugar here.  What if we just limited added sugar to 10% of the total calories?  Would you be good with that?

Texan1211
Professor Principal
3.1.4  Texan1211  replied to  SteevieGee @3.1.1    last year
You just wait.

You should have finished the sentence with 'forever'.

cjcold
Professor Quiet
3.1.5  cjcold  replied to  Texan1211 @3.1    last year

Far right wingers will never understand satire or science.

Drinker of the Wry
Junior Expert
3.1.6  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  cjcold @3.1.5    last year
Far right wingers will never understand satire or science.

Because both are closely related?

Kavika
Professor Principal
3.1.7  Kavika   replied to  SteevieGee @3.1.1    last year

It could fall under the ''don't say gay'' law. I've heard that there is a lot of gay sugar around Florida and if true there will be an all out war on sugar or not since the sugar industry does have a lot of pull in Tallahassee.

cjcold
Professor Quiet
3.1.8  cjcold  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @3.1.6    last year

Because far right wingers traditionally flunk SC101 in college and traditionally have no recognized sense of humor. 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
3.1.9  Texan1211  replied to  cjcold @3.1.5    last year

and some posters just can't understand the words in front of them.

Kavika
Professor Principal
3.1.11  Kavika   replied to  Kavika @3.1.7    last year

The author of the ''don't say gay'' bill Joe Harding Florida State Representative could use some really good connections in Tallahassee or with an outstanding lawyer, he recently resigned from his position after being indicted by a grand jury on wire fraud among other charges. 

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
3.2  Trout Giggles  replied to  SteevieGee @3    last year

Donuts at every meal!

SteevieGee
Professor Silent
3.2.1  SteevieGee  replied to  Trout Giggles @3.2    last year

That's Florida's future right there.  Remember that Florida is a sugar producing state.

cjcold
Professor Quiet
3.2.2  cjcold  replied to  Trout Giggles @3.2    last year

Donuts are cool as long as they are wrapped in bacon.

devangelical
Professor Principal
3.2.3  devangelical  replied to  Trout Giggles @3.2    last year

there's already too many fat cops...

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
3.2.4  Trout Giggles  replied to  cjcold @3.2.2    last year

you're a sick man

I mean that in a nice way...but I don't want bacon on my donuts

devangelical
Professor Principal
3.2.5  devangelical  replied to  Trout Giggles @3.2.4    last year

it's actually really good. there's a couple shops here that make them.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
3.2.6  Trout Giggles  replied to  devangelical @3.2.5    last year

I'll take your word for it

devangelical
Professor Principal
3.2.7  devangelical  replied to  Trout Giggles @3.2.6    last year

cake donut, maple syrup frosting, crispy bacon bits on top...

Snuffy
Professor Participates
4  Snuffy    last year

While proper dietary guidelines are important, I can't help but remember back to the Obama era school nutrition programs that called for more fruit and vegetables, whole grains and fat-free or low-fat milk.  And over time the USDA changed the guidelines to allow more of the old ways back as it was reported so much of the school lunches were being thrown away uneaten.  Are we in for a repeat of that?

Tessylo
Professor Principal
4.1  Tessylo  replied to  Snuffy @4    last year

They were morons opposing healthy lunches.  Stupid brats on video throwing away their lunches and complaining that they were hungry.  All because the Democrat First Lady Michelle Obama had the unmitigated gall to want kids to have healthy food/nutrition.  

Of course, we're probably in repeat of that from the same morons.

It looks like you copied from my comment.

They're morons, I see you're in support of that.

God forbid our kids have healthy lunches.

jrSmiley_80_smiley_image.gif

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
4.1.1  Greg Jones  replied to  Tessylo @4.1    last year

Define healthy. Growing children's nutritional needs are much different than adults.

Kids don't care about "eating healthy", they want food that tastes good.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
4.1.2  Tessylo  replied to  Greg Jones @4.1.1    last year

No shit Sherlock.

Why don't you define healthy?

cjcold
Professor Quiet
4.1.3  cjcold  replied to  Greg Jones @4.1.1    last year

As always you shill for far right wing corporate monsters.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
4.1.4  Texan1211  replied to  cjcold @4.1.3    last year

please, please read his post again for the first time.

he did nothing of the sort, of course.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
4.1.5  Texan1211  replied to  cjcold @4.1.3    last year

which leftwing rag told you that nonsense?

devangelical
Professor Principal
4.1.7  devangelical  replied to  cjcold @4.1.3    last year

it usually takes him one more comment to have the last word...

devangelical
Professor Principal
4.1.8  devangelical  replied to  Tessylo @4.1.2    last year

for most trumpsters, it's the ability to get their boxers off without having to use a putty knife...

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
4.2  Ozzwald  replied to  Snuffy @4    last year
And over time the USDA changed the guidelines to allow more of the old ways back as it was reported so much of the school lunches were being thrown away uneaten.  Are we in for a repeat of that?

You are only remembering 1/2 of the story, the "convenient" half.  

Schools that were seeing this happen were largely schools that refused to intellectually invest in the new dietary guidelines, so were serving poorly prepared lunches.  Basically they were having untrained people trying to cook restaurant level food.  The resulting meals were unpalatable.

Other schools, who embraced the new guidelines, had no such issues.

George
Junior Expert
4.2.1  George  replied to  Ozzwald @4.2    last year

List the half of US schools who didn't have these issues

devangelical
Professor Principal
4.2.2  devangelical  replied to  George @4.2.1    last year

the ones that didn't have a cross on the roof...

zuksam
Junior Silent
5  zuksam    last year

I don't think the problem is school lunches, I think it's what they eat at home and the sedentary lifestyle kids live today. A kid will not eat food they don't like at school since there is no parent there to force them. School lunches weren't that healthy back when I grew up, the ravioli was basically chef Boyardee, the pizza was like Ellio's plain pizza, we'd have pork pie or Salisbury steak, potatoes and vegetables and pudding or some other desert. The thing that's changed is what kids eat at home, I never ate a chicken nugget or patty, pizza bite, or hot pocket till I was living on my own but kids today are raised on this crap.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
5.1  Trout Giggles  replied to  zuksam @5    last year

I agree with you. They once tried serving turkey tetrazzini at school. It got tossed in the trash. They learned that we would eat pizza and burgers and that's pretty much what we got.

My mom was a good cook and made sure there was always a salad and a vegetable at dinner. I don't think chicken nuggets were invented yet when I was a kid

Kavika
Professor Principal
5.1.1  Kavika   replied to  Trout Giggles @5.1    last year
I don't think chicken nuggets were invented yet when I was a kid

You're 39?jrSmiley_4_smiley_image.png

devangelical
Professor Principal
5.1.2  devangelical  replied to  Trout Giggles @5.1    last year

I think the last school lunch I ever bought cost like 35 or 50 cents.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
5.1.3  Trout Giggles  replied to  Kavika @5.1.1    last year

I wish

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
5.1.4  Trout Giggles  replied to  devangelical @5.1.2    last year

I think I spent 75 cents on my last school lunch

devangelical
Professor Principal
5.1.5  devangelical  replied to  Trout Giggles @5.1.4    last year

cheap date...

Kavika
Professor Principal
6  Kavika     last year

According to a Pentagon study 71% of 18 to 24-year-olds are not qualified to join the military. Health reasons and overweight are the largest disqualifiers.

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
7  Bob Nelson    last year
By the fall of 2027, added sugars in school meals would be limited to less than 10% of the total calories per week for breakfasts and lunches.

That's terrible. It means that added sugars represent more than 10% of calories right now! And why allow any added sugars at all?

Snuffy
Professor Participates
7.1  Snuffy  replied to  Bob Nelson @7    last year

Maybe for the same reason why cooks may add salt to what they are cooking.  Some dishes need additional sugar or salt or whatever for taste.  It's not as if students are just being given a sugar bowl and a spoon.

Where it can be reduced without negatively impacting the flavor of the food is a good thing but they should not just blindly follow orders.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
7.1.1  Trout Giggles  replied to  Snuffy @7.1    last year

Some cooks need to learn that salt is seasoning. I learned it the hard way

charger 383
Professor Silent
8  charger 383    last year

Will the kids like and eat the meals?

Ender
Professor Principal
9  Ender    last year
Ah, sugar
Oh, honey, honey
You are my candy girl
And you got me wanting you

Ender
Professor Principal
10  Ender    last year

I don't really remember what we had in high school. Lunch time was when we were allowed to go to the smoking area.

al Jizzerror
Masters Expert
11  al Jizzerror    last year

I attended Abraham Lincoln High School in Brooklyn, NY.

We were not permitted to leave school grounds for lunch so I usually went to a pizzeria a block away for lunch.  I always got a medium pizza and a pitcher of beer and sat in a dark corner of the place where I could see the door.  One day when I was finishing my pitcher, four teachers came in they split a large pizza and got two pitchers of beer.  When I saw that they were all drinking beer, I knew I wouldn't get in trouble for leaving the campus.

I strolled over to their table, beer in hand, and said, "This is the best pizza in Brooklyn."  I finished my beer and put the empty mug on their table,  "See ya in school..."

I did not get reported.

devangelical
Professor Principal
11.1  devangelical  replied to  al Jizzerror @11    last year

I hardly ever paid for lunch when I was in high school. I had weed.

devangelical
Professor Principal
11.1.2  devangelical  replied to    last year

traded...

devangelical
Professor Principal
11.1.4  devangelical  replied to    last year

[deleted]