╌>

U.S. President Joe Biden says he likes Canadian teams 'except the Leafs'

Category:  Sports

Via:  buzz-of-the-orient  •  last year  •  3 comments

By:   Alex Arsenych CTV News Toronto

BUZZ NOTE:  There is short video of Biden making that statement and explaining why that can be accessed by clicking on the SEEDED CONTENT link just below this message, which will take you to the original source article.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

President Joe Biden reacts as he speaks to the Canadian Parliament, Friday, March 24, 2023, in Ottawa, Canada. (AP Photo/Andrew Harnik, Pool)

U.S. President Joe Biden says he is a fan of all of Canada’s sports teams, except for the Toronto Maple Leafs.

The 46th U.S. president is currently visiting the country, and during his speech to Parliament, he took a jab at the NHL franchise.

“I have to say, I like your [sports] teams except the Leafs,” Biden said, which was met with thunderous standing ovation, as well as boos, from the parliamentary gallery.

“I’ll tell you why – they beat the Flyers back in January, that’s why. If I didn’t say that – I married a Philly girl – I’d be sleeping alone tonight fellas.”

The  Philadelphia team played a home game against  the Leafs on Jan. 8, where they lost to the Toronto franchise 2-6.

Biden arrived in the country with his wife, First Lady Jill Biden, on Thursday night for a 27-hour trip.

The trip marks his first as president, and Biden’s schedule is jam-packed. 

Biden started his address to Parliament at 2 p.m. on Friday, making him the ninth U.S. president to deliver a speech, with the last being Barack Obama in 2016.

The president also  met with Prime Minister Justin Trudeau – where they had “a lot to talk about”  – and is expected to  attend a gala dinner hosted by Trudeau and his wife, Sophie Gregoire Trudeau,  at the Canadian Aviation and Space Museum at 6:30 p.m.

With files from CTV News' Rachel Aiello

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
1  seeder  Buzz of the Orient    last year

Hey Joe, you forgot to add that you don't like the Toronto Blue Jays either because of what Joe Carter did to the Phillies 3 decades ago.  The Toronto Maple Leafs and the Toronto Blue Jays are MY TEAMS Joe, so screw you. 

Split Personality
Professor Guide
1.1  Split Personality  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @1    last year
Hey Joe, you forgot to add that you don't like the Toronto Blue Jays either because of what Joe Carter did to the Phillies 3 decades ago.

Yeah well the Blue Jays haven't been to the WS since 1993  while the Phillies have been there several times since including a win in 2008. 

The Toronto Maple Leafs and the Toronto Blue Jays are MY TEAMS Joe, so screw you.

And the Eagles, Flyers and Phillies are mine, but I won't be rude about saying so.

It was joke...your Parliament loved it.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
1.1.1  seeder  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Split Personality @1.1    last year

He was rude to my hockey team.

"It was joke...your Parliament loved it."

Most of them weren't Leafs fans, and in another article or video there were boos as well as laughter and applause.