╌>

Uptick in positive ratings of the U.S. Economy is not Boosting Biden

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  robert-in-ohio  •  3 months ago  •  55 comments

By:   Josh Boak, Associated Press and Emily Swanson, Associated Press

Uptick in positive ratings of the U.S. Economy is not Boosting Biden
“I think he’s similar to his predecessors in furthering unsustainable deficits,” Veksler said of Biden. “I’m as negative on him as I was on Trump.”

Yet another article that belies the link between a slightly improving economy and any increase in the approval of the Biden administration.

Inflation has come down, new jobs have been created, the cost of gasoline is down ......but the cost of living for the average American is still way too high rent, interest rates, the cost of groceries, the cost of automobiles etc etc

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

Stocks are near record highs. Growth was surprisingly strong last year. And once-hot inflation has begun to cool. But so far, U.S. adults are feeling only slightly better about the economy.

A new poll from The Associated Press-NORC Center for Public Affairs Research finds that 35 percent of U.S. adults call the national economy good. That’s an uptick from 30 percent who said so   late last year   and up from 24 percent  who said so a year ago . While 65 percent still call the economy poor, that’s also an improvement from a year ago, when 76 percent called it poor.

he evidence of a stronger economy has yet to spill over into greater support for Biden. The new poll puts his approval rating at 38 percent, which is roughly where that number has stood for most of the past two years. Biden’s approval rating on handling the economy is similar, at 35 percent.

Respondents interviewed for the survey often expressed their views on the economy through a personal lens. Some judged it based on their grocery bills and prices at the gasoline pump. Others assessed the economy based on their appreciating investments. Housing prices mattered, and so did job prospects for their adult children and the upward trajectory of the federal debt.

he poll of 1,152 adults was conducted Jan. 25–29, 2024, using a sample drawn from NORC’s probability-based AmeriSpeak Panel, which is designed to be representative of the U.S. population. The margin of sampling error for all respondents is plus or minus 4.0 percentage points.

Red Box Rules

Discuss the article, not others who offer comments

Rip Biden, Rip Trump, Rip Independent Candidates and Rip the FED, but be civil in your commentary

Let's have a little fun with this

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Robert in Ohio
Professor Guide
1  seeder  Robert in Ohio    3 months ago

Harry Broadnax, a 62-year-old retiree, said he increasingly thinks about the economy in relation to the increase in migrants illegally crossing the U.S. southern border. He feels their presence is diverting financial resources from U.S. citizens.  “I would like to see them block up the border like Trump wanted,” said Broadnax, who is from North Carolina, adding for emphasis, “I’m a Democrat.”  Broadnax doesn’t see himself voting for Biden or Trump, whose criminal indictments worry him

David Veksler, who voted for the libertarian candidate, Jo Jorgenson, in 2020, said he’s worried about the rising federal debt.   “I think he’s similar to his predecessors in furthering unsustainable deficits,” Veksler said of Biden. “I’m as negative on him as I was on Trump.”

Lael Brainard, director of the White House National Economic Council, told a group of reporters last week that skeptics about the economy had overlooked how Biden’s policies boosted the labor market and repaired supply chains wrecked by the pandemic.

Deborah Shields, 70, “I would never, never, ever vote for Trump,” said Shields, who lives in Orlando, Florida. “He’s a megalomaniac.”

Richard Tunnell, an Air Force veteran on disability, voted for Trump in 2020 and would do so again if the former president is on the ballot. The 30-year-old from Huntsville, Texas is a hard “no” on Biden.

“He’s just a puppet,” Tunnell said. “They’ll boot people out like Trump who give a crap, but they’ll put in people like Biden who they can put on strings and manipulate.”

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
2  JohnRussell    3 months ago

We can see what we will get from this corner of Newstalkers over the next year - endless bothsidesism, with an emphasis on criticizing the incumbent. 

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
2.1  Greg Jones  replied to  JohnRussell @2    3 months ago
-" endless bothsidesism, with an emphasis on criticizing the incumbent." 

Yes John, because that's what an open forum is all about.....ALL sides of an issue or an individual can be expressed in a hopefully civil way amongst people who disagree. Biden and his progressive handlers and their foolish supporters give us fresh material every day that we can criticize and use against them.

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
2.2  Sean Treacy  replied to  JohnRussell @2    3 months ago

Nine months from an election Biden is losing to the most personally unpopular candidate since polling began. A candidate who is facing multiple criminal charges.  That you don’t think why that is happening is a legitimate topic is beyond comprehension 

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
2.2.1  Vic Eldred  replied to  Sean Treacy @2.2    3 months ago

By the time November arrives the Fed will have the economy thoroughly juiced and on the other hand, Biden's opponent will be elevated to the status of revolutionary leader.

JBB
Professor Principal
2.2.2  JBB  replied to  Vic Eldred @2.2.1    3 months ago

What are the odds the US economy leads the world in 2024?

Oh, I'd say just about 99-100%. As, "It's the economy, stupid'...

Sparty On
Professor Principal
2.2.3  Sparty On  replied to  JBB @2.2.2    3 months ago

The CPI has increased nearly 20% under Biden’s watch.     The CPI increased less than 9% in the same period under Trumps Presidency.    Like higher costs for everything?    Vote Biden.

Hooray Bidenomics!

Robert in Ohio
Professor Guide
2.3  seeder  Robert in Ohio  replied to  JohnRussell @2    3 months ago

John

I know you want all the sheep to follow in behind the herd dog (I mean the incumbent), but even though you are unable to understand the concept - there are two sides to every issue, all people's opinions are as valid as yours and open discussion and debate is what makes our system of government work.

Please be careful getting on and off your high horse as it can be dangerous

Right Down the Center
Senior Guide
2.4  Right Down the Center  replied to  JohnRussell @2    3 months ago
We can see what we will get from this corner of Newstalkers over the next year - endless bothsidesism, with an emphasis on criticizing the incumbent. 

I know, when I joined NT I thought it was a "hate Trump and everything he does all the time" forum.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.4.1  Texan1211  replied to  Right Down the Center @2.4    3 months ago
I know, when I joined NT I thought it was a "hate Trump and everything he does all the time" forum.

And for some, you were 100% correct, as evidenced here every day.

The economy seems to be improving, great.

Let's not sugarcoat it. We ran a $2 TRILLION deficit in what Joe Biden glowingly refers to as 'the best economy n the world'--as if that is a standard we should strive for.

JBB
Professor Principal
3  JBB    3 months ago

Yet...

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
4  Sean Treacy    3 months ago

Biden’s border policy appears to be designed to get trump elected.  It’s unfathomably incompetent and pushed the economy, usually the most important election issue, to a distant second.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
4.1  TᵢG  replied to  Sean Treacy @4    3 months ago

It does seem that way.

Right Down the Center
Senior Guide
4.2  Right Down the Center  replied to  Sean Treacy @4    3 months ago

Hard to understand what his thinking is on this issue

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
5  Buzz of the Orient    3 months ago

I don't recall a more opportune time for a third party candidate to be victorious, but then I'm not an American voter so my education, learned responses, cognitive abilities and probably my life experiences differ from those coveted by the typical American voter.  

TᵢG
Professor Principal
5.1  TᵢG  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @5    3 months ago

Polls offer no encouragement.   Third party candidates are polling strong, relative to the past, but they are nowhere close to striking distance.

The poll indicates the president at 39%, Trump with 37%, Democrat turned independent candidate Robert F. Kennedy Jr. 14%, progressive independent candidate Cornell West 3%, and Green Party candidate Jill Stein 2%.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
5.1.1  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  TᵢG @5.1    3 months ago

I've never before seen such dissatisfaction with the leading candidates for both major parties. 

TᵢG
Professor Principal
5.1.2  TᵢG  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @5.1.1    3 months ago

The closest we came was in 2020.   Before that it was 2016.    We are getting worse each election cycle.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
5.1.3  Sparty On  replied to  TᵢG @5.1.2    3 months ago

Nah, it was 1992, when a third party candidate actually got nearly 20% of the popular vote.    Mine being one of them.

Wanna bet that a third party candidate in 2024 won’t even break double digits?

TᵢG
Professor Principal
5.1.4  TᵢG  replied to  Sparty On @5.1.3    3 months ago

I was referring to voter dissatisfaction, not the chance for a third party win.

Perot was clearly the spoiler for Bush.    

Sparty On
Professor Principal
5.1.5  Sparty On  replied to  TᵢG @5.1.4    3 months ago

Some would say 20% of the popular vote for a third party displays serious voter dissatisfaction.    I’m one of them.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
5.1.6  Sparty On  replied to  TᵢG @5.1.4    3 months ago

And had Perot not waffled, it would have been much higher.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
5.1.7  Texan1211  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @5.1.1    3 months ago
I've never before seen such dissatisfaction with the leading candidates for both major parties. 

That's true, Buzz, but unfortunately many will be willing to hold their nose and return one of the two clowns to power. I won't be one of them, however.

We can't change until people look beyond their own partisanship and hatred.

Ronin2
Professor Quiet
5.1.8  Ronin2  replied to  TᵢG @5.1.4    3 months ago

Dissatisfaction will not cause people to vote for a third party candidate.

Only a very strong candidate (like Ross Perot) with a clear popular message will.

Don't see any candidate in the race right now that can pull it off. Chances are any of the top choices like Sununu will wait for 2028; and not wreck their chances at their own party's nomination by playing spoiler in 2024.

JBB
Professor Principal
5.1.9  JBB  replied to  Ronin2 @5.1.8    3 months ago

Did you see Sununu on Real Time with Bill Maher Friday?

He did not live up to his hype. He is about Half-A-MAGA!

He admitted his loyalty is to his party, not to our Country.

Which is a disqualification for ever winning nationwide...

TᵢG
Professor Principal
5.1.10  TᵢG  replied to  Ronin2 @5.1.8    3 months ago

I agree, dissatisfaction will more likely lead to not voting.

Robert in Ohio
Professor Guide
5.2  seeder  Robert in Ohio  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @5    3 months ago

Buzz

I agree with your point.

A strong 3rd party effort by one or even multiple other choices would at a minimum send a strong message to the system that changes need to be made and they need to be made now to the structure of politics in this country.

Having to decide between two bad candidates for a leader of our country is lunacy.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
5.2.1  Texan1211  replied to  Robert in Ohio @5.2    3 months ago
Having to decide between two bad candidates for a leader of our country is lunacy.

I refuse to make such an obviously bad choice.

Ronin2
Professor Quiet
5.3  Ronin2  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @5    3 months ago

2016 was. Yet no third party candidate received more than 8% of the popular vote.

It will be the same thing again this time around.

People will say one thing in the polls and then do something completely different when it comes time to vote. The Establishment doesn't give a shit about polls. In the end the vast majority will either pull the R or D lever.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
5.3.1  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Ronin2 @5.3    3 months ago

Perhaps my point was based on a mindset honed by living most of my life in a nation where the third party is not only viable, has succeeded in Provincial elections as against the two major parties, and has been party to ruling federal coalitions.  

Snuffy
Professor Participates
6  Snuffy    3 months ago
Stocks are near record highs. Growth was surprisingly strong last year. And once-hot inflation has begun to cool. But so far, U.S. adults are feeling only slightly better about the economy.

All they have to do is walk into a grocery store to feel bad about the economy. By the estimates of this administration, American households are paying an average of $1000 more a month then they had to under Trump. While inflation has come down, prices don't come down with it but rather are compounded by the crazy inflation we saw over the past couple of years. 

I said it back at the beginning and it bears repeating. This time around Biden is running on his record and it's not all that good for the average American. Credit card debt is at record highs, we've heard many stories about all the people having to take money out of their retirement funds just to make ends meet. If you've withdrawn on your retirement funds, the stock market doesn't really mean much to you anymore. 

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
6.1  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Snuffy @6    3 months ago

Don't forget the rampant shrinkflation, the grocery industry's method for hoodwinking the public.

Robert in Ohio
Professor Guide
6.1.1  seeder  Robert in Ohio  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @6.1    3 months ago

"Shrinkflation" is an incredibly serious issue to ordinary American families living pay check to pay check.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
7  Sparty On    3 months ago

It’s the economy stupid.

Americans aren’t stupid.    Costs are up across the board on nearly all consumer goods.    The market being up is good but it doesn’t put food on the table or pay the bills for most Americans.

if people are smart they will vote their pocketbook in November.    If they don’t, they will continue to reap what they have sown.    Higher costs across the board but hey, at least they’ll be able to get an abortion on demand so they’ll have that going for them.

Robert in Ohio
Professor Guide
7.1  seeder  Robert in Ohio  replied to  Sparty On @7    3 months ago

It’s the economy stupid.

Americans aren’t stupid.    Costs are up across the board on nearly all consumer goods.    The market being up is good but it doesn’t put food on the table or pay the bills for most Americans.

You make some good points and hopefully these are key points in the voters' choice making this November.  Some might argue with your conclusion "Americans aren’t stupid" based on choices made in elections of the past couple of decades. but I agree with you.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
7.1.1  Sparty On  replied to  Robert in Ohio @7.1    3 months ago

I know, I said that hesitatingly but try to have faith in the electorate.    

A faith that has admittedly waned in recent years …

JBB
Professor Principal
7.1.2  JBB  replied to  Sparty On @7.1.1    3 months ago

Is it a good thing the USA is leading the world post-Covid?

That our unemployment is the lowest it has been forever?

That the US economy is growing faster than competitors?

Some people won't be happy with anything but bad news!

MAGA!

Sparty On
Professor Principal
7.1.3  Sparty On  replied to  JBB @7.1.2    3 months ago

And yet you ignore ALL the kitchen table issues brought up.    Can’t gaslight and spin peoples reality away but by all means.    Keep trying ….

JBB
Professor Principal
7.1.4  JBB  replied to  Sparty On @7.1.3    3 months ago

No Sparty, nobody here is ignoring anything except for the MAGA hats! Covid and Putin invading Ukraine sent the world economy into a spin by disrupting supply lines and causing worldwide inflation and runaway unemployment. But, now the US economy has roared back leading the "Free World" in a historic comeback which defies all the current worst wishes for America by Trump and his MAGAs!

We get it, the MAGA hats do not want things to get better until or unless they get their daddy Trump back!

Sparty On
Professor Principal
7.1.5  Sparty On  replied to  JBB @7.1.4    3 months ago

Yes jbb, many on the left are in complete denial of reality.    Nothing new there though.    Those folks would gladly sell their mothers and daughters so to serve at the alter of progressive lies and disinformation.    That’s all they got.    Lies and disinformation.  

JBB
Professor Principal
7.1.6  JBB  replied to  Sparty On @7.1.5    3 months ago

Don't be silly. We all experienced it the same. Everything we commonly experience cannot be sloughed off by politics...

Things are getting better. We lead the world economically!

MAGAs wouldn't be happy if you hung em with a new rope!

Sparty On
Professor Principal
7.1.7  Sparty On  replied to  JBB @7.1.6    3 months ago

Gaslight  ….. flashlight ….. gaslight ….

[jrEmbed module="jrYouTube" youtube_id="E5uH1JFcaq8"]

JBB
Professor Principal
7.1.8  JBB  replied to  Sparty On @7.1.7    3 months ago

No, just a lone voice from outside the far rightwing bubble...

Sparty On
Professor Principal
7.1.9  Sparty On  replied to  JBB @7.1.8    3 months ago

lol so you disagree with Biden’s job approval polls eh?    Man, that is denial to the Nth degree.    

Amazing that you expect people to buy that horseshit.

JBB
Professor Principal
7.1.10  JBB  replied to  Sparty On @7.1.9    3 months ago

I know, everyone knows, that America is currently leading the world economically post-Covid and Biden will whoop Trump!

Again...

Robert in Ohio
Professor Guide
7.1.11  seeder  Robert in Ohio  replied to  JBB @7.1.2    3 months ago

jbb

We agreed on those points, but the economic issues that are faci ng the small family in the US across the kitchen table are the ones that are dragging Biden's approval rating down.

Right Down the Center
Senior Guide
7.1.12  Right Down the Center  replied to  JBB @7.1.10    3 months ago

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
7.1.13  Sean Treacy  replied to  JBB @7.1.10    3 months ago

America has been leading the world economically your entire life.  It’s expected.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
7.1.14  Sparty On  replied to  Sean Treacy @7.1.13    3 months ago

But you see, that ‘s only positive news when a liberal puppet is in the Whitehouse.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
7.1.15  Sparty On  replied to  JBB @7.1.10    3 months ago

You know it, I know it, the American peopled polled know it.

Joe Biden is a:

Texan1211
Professor Principal
7.1.16  Texan1211  replied to  JBB @7.1.10    3 months ago

Okay, you cheerlead Bidenomics at every turn.

Why can't you explain why Biden wants taxpayers to pay off legal debts for others in such a great economy?

bugsy
Professor Participates
7.1.17  bugsy  replied to  JBB @7.1.2    3 months ago
Is it a good thing the USA is leading the world post-Covid?

Maybe because we are the world's only superpower, something Biden is trying hard to give to the CHinese

"That our unemployment is the lowest it has been forever?"

Because the labor participation rate is almost even with the lowest rate, like, forever. Tied with 2015, and who was president then?

"That the US economy is growing faster than competitors?"

Which in turn has started to fuel inflation once again, rising to 3.4 in December.

The stock market may be doing well, however, the stock market does not buy groceries, nor does it buy houses.

bugsy
Professor Participates
7.1.18  bugsy  replied to  JBB @7.1.10    3 months ago

How do you explain this?

Internationally among the G20 , inflation is lower in China (minus-0.3%), Italy (0.76%), Saudi Arabia (1.5%), Switzerland (1.7%), Indonesia (2.57%), Japan (2.6%), the Euro Area (2.8%), South Korea (2.8%), Germany (2.9%), France (3.1%), Netherlands (3.2%) and is the same in Canada (3.4%). 

Seems like most items people care about are cheaper, per inflation, than they are here.

George
Junior Expert
8  George    3 months ago

Texan1211
Professor Principal
8.1  Texan1211  replied to  George @8    3 months ago

Nah, self-identify as an immigrant and let sanctuaries pay for it!