╌>

How do black voters view Biden’s handling of the War in Israel?

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  robert-in-ohio  •  3 months ago  •  47 comments

By:   Damita Menezes

How do black voters view Biden’s handling of the War in Israel?
Cliff Albright says some voters might not vote or go for a third-party candidate

The presence of a third party candidate on the presidential ballot may not be the only thing that President Biden finds troubling.

If large portions of voter blocks that supported him in 2020, just stay home it could be just as damaging to his campaign

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

Cliff Albright, co-founder of the   Black Voters Matter Fund , warned of a growing dissatisfaction among Black voters with President   Joe Biden ‘s handling of the   Israel-Hamas war , potentially jeopardizing the strong support he enjoyed in the community during the last election.

Albright highlighted the multifaceted reasons for the discontent within the   Black community , citing concerns over the perceived injustice of the war, solidarity with   oppressed populations   and the financial implications of allocating resources overseas.

The co-founder also emphasized the historical trend of Black and Brown individuals forming a disproportionate percentage of   ground troops , deepening the connection between the community and the conflict.

Albright’s comments align with recent reports of   Black pastors urging Biden   to call for a cease-fire. Even those critical of Biden on the Israel-Palestine issue acknowledge the unfavorable prospect of a Trump reelection, particularly for their predominantly Black and working-class congregations.

The pivotal question emerges: Will frustrated Black voters express their discontent at the ballot box?

Albright suggests that while some are reluctant to switch their allegiance to former President  Donald Trump , viable alternatives may be staying home on Election Day or considering third-party candidates such as outspoken war critic Cornel West.

As the war continues, Albright said the risk of voter disillusionment looms large, particularly in key battleground states like Michigan and Georgia.

Red Box Rules

Try to be civil, try to stay on topic and try not to spend more time attacking other members or bringing extraneous topics than you do discussing the actual topic presented

I know that is very hard for some, but give it a shot

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Robert in Ohio
Professor Guide
1  seeder  Robert in Ohio    3 months ago
  • Support from Black voters is key for Biden's presidential campaign
  • Black voters see the war as an injustice among oppressed populations

• Cliff Albright says some voters might not vote or go for a third-party candidate
    Excerpt from the article

Biden started his presidency with an 86 percent average approval rating among Black Americans, higher than any other racial group. But by July 2022, that number was down 23 percentage points, to 63 percent. That said, his approval rating among Black Americans — unlike the other three racial groups we looked at — did mildly increase ahead of the midterm elections. But since early 2023, it has dropped again to 60 percent, the lowest his approval rating has ever been among Black Americans during his presidency.
    Why is Biden losing support from people of color? - ABC News (go.com)

devangelical
Professor Principal
1.1  devangelical  replied to  Robert in Ohio @1    3 months ago

oh no! democrats are done for. oh wait, the election is 9 months and 5 trials splattered all over the media from now...

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.1.1  Texan1211  replied to  devangelical @1.1    3 months ago

Reading the article informs one of a very noticeable drop in support for Biden from the very people who helped tremendously to elect him.

That will be a real concern for Biden, as it would for any politician seeking election.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
1.1.2  Tessylo  replied to  devangelical @1.1    3 months ago

jrSmiley_81_smiley_image.gif .

Drinker of the Wry
Junior Expert
1.1.3  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  Tessylo @1.1.2    3 months ago

This might be the bigger Black issue:

PONTIAC, Mich. — The neighborhood he grew up in was always a bit rough around the edges, and it has frayed even more over the years, but Bryan Killian-Bey found reasons to smile as he drove through it on a recent winter day: his grandmother’s old, now-abandoned house and the school that used to be a hangout spot for the area’s kids.

But the smile fled as Killian-Bey, 59, steered his truck farther into the city’s core, which has rapidly declined during years of economic turmoil, leaving streets once lined with vibrant homes and businesses now riddled with empty lots. Without fail, he said, Democratic canvassers show up around election time vowing to improve conditions for him and his neighbors, but it never happens.

He voted for   President Biden   in 2020, but this time Killian-Bey says   he and others in his predominantly Black neighborhood aren’t so sure. “I’m torn between voting and not voting at all. A lot of us are,” Killian-Bey said. “I don’t think Biden is it, but I don’t see what else is out there.” He wants Democrats to “give me substance. You can’t dangle carrots and assume we’ll vote for you just because we don’t like the other platform. "

Is that what Dems do, dangle carrots in front of Blacks?

Robert in Ohio
Professor Guide
1.1.4  seeder  Robert in Ohio  replied to  devangelical @1.1    3 months ago

dev

What was I thinking

You are probably right, it likely does not mean a thing

Robert in Ohio
Professor Guide
1.1.5  seeder  Robert in Ohio  replied to  Texan1211 @1.1.1    3 months ago

Texan

That is what I thought as well

Robert in Ohio
Professor Guide
1.1.6  seeder  Robert in Ohio  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @1.1.3    3 months ago

DotW

Isn't that a symptom of what some people call "you only come around when you need me" syndrome ?

GregTx
PhD Guide
2  GregTx    3 months ago
A November poll from The New York Times and Siena College found that 22 percent of Black voters in six battleground states said they would support former President Trump in next year’s election, which is the highest percentage a Republican presidential candidate has seen among Black voters in a half-century.

I don't think the loss of support is because of the Israeli war. Imo its got more to due with the economy and the border crisis.

bugsy
Professor Participates
2.1  bugsy  replied to  GregTx @2    3 months ago

I also believe that many blacks are realizing what a Trojan Horse the democratic party has become for them.

For decades, blacks essentially voted democratic only because their parents did. Many modern blacks see, via social media and online news sites, that the democratic party has been lying to them and they are realizing they have been taken for a ride.

Now, I'm not saying all of these folks would switch to the republican party, but I have seen interviews where many of them state they are contemplating it.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.1.1  Texan1211  replied to  bugsy @2.1    3 months ago

For Democrats, if people don't vote, it will hurt them. Dems know it, too.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.1.2  Texan1211  replied to  bugsy @2.1    3 months ago
I also believe that many blacks are realizing what a Trojan Horse the democratic party has become for 

Some of them may even have friends who somehow remained black even while not voting for Biden.

Robert in Ohio
Professor Guide
2.1.3  seeder  Robert in Ohio  replied to  Texan1211 @2.1.1    3 months ago

Texan

A low turnout in urban areas (especially if there is a large minority component to the absentees) will certainly negatively affect the democrats

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.1.4  Texan1211  replied to  Robert in Ohio @2.1.3    3 months ago

Yes it will, and can impact the election heavily.

Robert in Ohio
Professor Guide
2.2  seeder  Robert in Ohio  replied to  GregTx @2    3 months ago

Greg

I agree that the Israeli/Hamas war is not the only issue causing disinterest in democratic policies in the black communities, perhaps not even near the top of the list of concerns but it is there none the less

Kavika
Professor Principal
2.2.1  Kavika   replied to  Robert in Ohio @2.2    3 months ago
The economy and jobs, racism/racial discrimination, and healthcare ranked as the three most important issues that respondents reported considering when they vote. Twenty-nine percent reported the economy and jobs as their top issue, followed by 21 percent reporting racism/racial discrimination and 17 percent reporting healthcare as most important (see figure 1).  Black Americans Don’t Vote on Foreign Policy, but They Are Paying Attention - Carnegie Endowment for International Peace

Robert in Ohio
Professor Guide
2.2.2  seeder  Robert in Ohio  replied to  Kavika @2.2.1    3 months ago

Very interesting - thanks for sharing.

it seems views on the Israeli/Hamas conflict are only part of their dissatisfaction

George
Junior Expert
3  George    3 months ago

If you don’t vote for me, then you aren’t black.  Joe Biden 

Nothing more special than an old racist white guy telling people of color they aren’t black.

Robert in Ohio
Professor Guide
3.1  seeder  Robert in Ohio  replied to  George @3    3 months ago

George

But remember he apologized for saying "I tell you what, if you have a problem figuring out whether you're for me or Trump, then you ain’t black."

He might not have remembered saying it, but he apologized.

So did he mean what he said or did mean that he was sorry it slipped out on the record?

George
Junior Expert
3.1.1  George  replied to  Robert in Ohio @3.1    3 months ago

The sad thing is that isn’t even in the top ten, my favorite was during the Democrat debates, when he said that African American women weren’t smart enough to raise their own children without help on a question about racism.

Robert in Ohio
Professor Guide
3.1.2  seeder  Robert in Ohio  replied to  George @3.1.1    3 months ago

George

I remember that brouhaha - 

JBB
Professor Principal
3.2  JBB  replied to  George @3    3 months ago

Should chickens vote for Colonel Sanders?

Right Down the Center
Senior Guide
3.2.1  Right Down the Center  replied to  JBB @3.2    3 months ago

Dems want to give chickens the right to vote too?  I though it would end with illegals getting the right to vote, I should have known better.

George
Junior Expert
3.2.2  George  replied to  JBB @3.2    3 months ago

Should African Americans vote for a racist like Biden? 

Kavika
Professor Principal
3.2.3  Kavika   replied to  George @3.2.2    3 months ago

I'd say that the blacks would know a racist quickly, and yet they voted in overwhelming numbers for him in 2020. In fact they have been voting dem since the Republicans abandoned them.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
3.2.4  Texan1211  replied to  Kavika @3.2.3    3 months ago

I bet some will express buyers remorse and either not vote or vote for someone else.

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
3.2.5  Sean Treacy  replied to  Texan1211 @3.2.4    3 months ago

It’s a stampede to trump.  He's currently increased share of black voters about 300% over what Romney received 

Robert in Ohio
Professor Guide
3.2.6  seeder  Robert in Ohio  replied to  JBB @3.2    3 months ago

jbb

Sounded pretty good in your head I bet, but lacks something in print - who are you calling "chickens" and who do you think they should vote for?

jrSmiley_2_smiley_image.png

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
4  Buzz of the Orient    3 months ago

I'm not surprised, cause after all, Black Lives Matter has taken sides with the terrorists, and look who's totally lacking in gratitude for the many Jews, some giving their lives, who went out of their way to support the blacks during the civil rights movement.  

charger 383
Professor Silent
4.1  charger 383  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @4    3 months ago

Will they get fooled again?

JBB
Professor Principal
5  JBB    3 months ago

Yes yes yes, we hear the same things from every faction within the diverse Democratic coalition of interest groups every election cycle as they jostle among themselves for priority and the prime positions, but have no doubts about it...

Women, minorities and gays aren't voting gop.

And apparently the independents aren't either.

Especially as Trump will head the gop's ticket.

Robert in Ohio
Professor Guide
5.1  seeder  Robert in Ohio  replied to  JBB @5    3 months ago

jbb

I think you might have a point here, but another option is that many of them will just not vote at all with who is heading the democratic ticket

JBB
Professor Principal
5.1.1  JBB  replied to  Robert in Ohio @5.1    3 months ago

Again, the problem with false equivalencies is that they are false. Biden is old and he sometimes acts his age, but he is capably leading a successful administration during perilous times as he hired capable people...

Imagine the crew Trump would nominate!

Americans can too and they do not like it...

Texan1211
Professor Principal
5.1.2  Texan1211  replied to  JBB @5.1.1    3 months ago
Biden is old and he sometimes acts his age, but he is capably leading a successful administration during perilous times as he hired capable people...

That's hilarious!

Robert in Ohio
Professor Guide
5.1.3  seeder  Robert in Ohio  replied to  JBB @5.1.1    3 months ago

jbb

Again a fair point, but it has absolutely nothing to do with the comment you responded to

JBB
Professor Principal
5.1.4  JBB  replied to  Robert in Ohio @5.1.3    3 months ago

Yes, Robert, it does. Our choices are not equal. Our only viable choices for POTUS in November will be Trump or Biden...

One had a failed Presidency. The other is President Biden!

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
5.1.5  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  JBB @5.1.4    3 months ago
One had a failed Presidency.

jrSmiley_10_smiley_image.gif

Opinions do vary..............greatly

Robert in Ohio
Professor Guide
5.1.6  seeder  Robert in Ohio  replied to  JBB @5.1.1    3 months ago

Biden is old and he sometimes acts his age, but he is capably leading a successful administration 

jbb

I know that facts are not really of much concern in many NT discussions, but here are some facts none the less

No one in the country is more pro Biden than CNN and a survey from CNN a few months ago shows

1. nearly half of registered voters (46%) say that any Republican presidential nominee would be a better choice than Biden in 2024.

2. His job approval rating stands at just 39%, and 58% say that his policies have made economic conditions in the US worse, up 8 points since last fall. Seventy percent say things in the country are going badly, 

3. Perceptions of Biden personally are also broadly negative, with 58% saying they have an unfavorable impression of him.

4. 45%, say that Biden cares about people like them, with only 33% describing him as someone they’re proud to have as president. 

5. Roughly three-quarters of Americans say they’re seriously concerned that Biden’s age might negatively affect his current level of physical and mental competence (73%), and his ability to serve out another full term if reelected (76%), with a smaller 68% majority seriously concerned about his ability to understand the next generation’s concerns (that stands at 72% among those younger than 65, but just 57% of those 65 or older feel the same).

6. As of now, Republican and Republican-leaning voters are more deeply driven to vote in 2024 (71% extremely motivated) than Democratic-aligned voters (61% extremely motivated).

CNN Poll: Biden faces negative job ratings and concerns about his age as he gears up for 2024 | CNN Politics

Robert in Ohio
Professor Guide
5.1.7  seeder  Robert in Ohio  replied to  JBB @5.1.4    3 months ago

One had a failed Presidency. The other is President Biden!

Many Americans would say that you failed to complete your sentence and that it should say --  One had a failed Presidency. The other is President Biden, whoo is nearing the end of a failed presidency!

And your answer had nothing to do with my comment in 5.1, you merely continue to preach

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
5.1.8  Jeremy Retired in NC  replied to  JBB @5.1.1    3 months ago
Biden is old and he sometimes acts his age, but he is capably leading a successful administration during perilous times as he hired capable people.

People have been waiting 50 years for him to step up and become a leader.  So far he hasn't.

JBB
Professor Principal
5.1.9  JBB  replied to  Jeremy Retired in NC @5.1.8    3 months ago

Nope, Joe Biden is President. He beat Trump and will again...

JBB
Professor Principal
5.1.10  JBB  replied to  Robert in Ohio @5.1.7    3 months ago

Vote For Trump if you want. He will carry Ohio regardless...

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
5.1.11  Jeremy Retired in NC  replied to  JBB @5.1.9    3 months ago

And he still hasn't stepped up.  

Texan1211
Professor Principal
5.1.12  Texan1211  replied to  JBB @5.1.10    3 months ago
Vote For Trump if you want.

Your comments leads me to believe you do not  read his posts.

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
5.1.13  Jeremy Retired in NC  replied to  Texan1211 @5.1.12    3 months ago
[deleted]

Robert in Ohio
Professor Guide
5.1.14  seeder  Robert in Ohio  replied to  JBB @5.1.10    3 months ago

jbb

You really either do not read or are unable to understand what people state in their comments.

I have sated on numerous occasions that I will vote for neither Biden nor Trump come election day.

I do appreciate that you are okay with the fact that I will vote for whomever I choose to

Robert in Ohio
Professor Guide
6  seeder  Robert in Ohio    3 months ago

I see no one wanted to discuss, debate or dispute the facts produced in the polling presented in my comment earlier.  I am not surprised, a little disappointed but not surprised.