╌>

Jon Stewart's 'Daily Show' return is so smooth, it's like he never left

Category:  The Lighter Side/ Humor

Via:  hallux  •  3 months ago  •  53 comments

By:   Eric Deggans - NPR

Jon Stewart's 'Daily Show' return is so smooth, it's like he never left

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

After watching Jon Stewart's triumphant return to   The Daily Show   on Monday night, I had two thoughts.

The GOAT of late night satire is back. And even some of the show's biggest fans may not be all that happy to see him return.

That's because, in his first episode returning as host — nearly nine years after he originally left — Stewart took on a subject that even his most liberal fans might find touchy: the idea that concerns about how age may have affected President Biden aren't necessarily overblown.

He didn't mince words about the erratic behavior of Biden's likely opponent for the presidency, Donald Trump, either — showing how the former president couldn't remember basic things during court depositions like how long he was married to Marla Maples or whether he had bragged about how great his memory was. ("It turns out, the leading cause of early onset dementia is being deposed," Stewart cracked, after showing a montage of Trump's grown children having similar recall issues.)

But even though some liberals may be sensitive to the idea that comparing Biden's gaffes with Trump's behavior is an unfair "both sides" balancing act, Stewart insisted supporters should do a better job showing the current president is vital and effective as they say he is.

"It's the candidate's job to assuage concerns," Stewart said in a 20-minute segment that kicked off last night's program. "Not the voter's job not to mention them."

Easily slipping back into the host chair

From the show's opening moments, Stewart eased back into the host's chair without missing a beat, firing off jokes with a familiar style that felt like he had left just a few weeks ago, rather than in 2015. He brought a confidence the program sorely needs; it's been searching for a permanent host for more than a year since the departure of Trevor Noah, who succeeded Stewart as host.

Stewart returns in a unique arrangement, hosting   The Daily Show  on Monday nights and serving as an executive producer for all evenings — similar to an arrangement crafted by another cable TV star, Rachel Maddow on MSNBC. The new setup allows him to avoid the grind of daily hosting, ceding the rest of the week to the show's correspondents, starting with Jordan Klepper, who hosts Tuesday through Thursday.

Even as he eased into familiar rhythms — poking fun at idea that he's an old guy returning to his old job, highlighting concerns about two other old guys competing to get their old job back — Stewart faced a new challenge: reminding everyone why he was such a venerated host in the first place.

In his first 16 years hosting   The Daily Show , Stewart elevated the program into an incisive look at the hypocrisies of media, politics and society. Along the way, he helped birth a style of fact-based satire that has exploded all over television, from the work by   Daily Show   alums John Oliver on HBO's   Last Week Tonight   and Stephen Colbert on CBS'   The Late Show   to the sharper political tone of   Late Night with Seth Meyers   and   Jimmy Kimmel Live .

But the media environment Stewart has returned to is quite different. Ratings in late night have declined, and the young audiences that once fueled the genre have moved on to TikTok and YouTube. With luck, Stewart's appeal to   The Daily Show 's old school fans will bring better ratings on the cable channel, but it's still likely to be a smaller crowd than he once commanded.

Regardless, last night's program shows Stewart's still got the comedy chops and incisive ideas to power the show at least through the presidential election in November. He has   said in interviews   that part of the appeal in returning was to have a place to "unload thoughts" as the election season progresses.

Last night's debut proved Stewart will bring that and more, buying time for an influential show at a crossroads to figure out a new future for itself at least one more time.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Hallux
PhD Principal
1  seeder  Hallux    3 months ago

Big Dog is back ... oh wait, that was a guy called Bill.

n.b. ... there are clips within the seed at the site.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
1.1  Tessylo  replied to  Hallux @1    3 months ago

I'll make sure to catch this when I catch up with my dad this week for dinner and some Stephen Colbert/The Late Show also,

I really missed Jon when he left the Daily Show and I got to enjoy Trevor Noah after I got over Jon leaving and then Trevor left!

I look forward to Jon throughout the election season.  

Haven't seen you around in a while Hallux.  Hope you've been well.

Hallux
PhD Principal
1.1.1  seeder  Hallux  replied to  Tessylo @1.1    3 months ago
Hope you've been well.

Sorta, I've been mostly horizontal and reading: Liz Cheney's Oath and Honor and Nabokov's Lolita.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
1.2  Tessylo  replied to  Hallux @1    3 months ago

Some folks say we go to the Daily Show, and Stephen Colbert (actors/comedians) for the news and that is partially true because they actually provide the truth and facts about the subjects/topics that they speak about unlike those who disparage them.  

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
1.2.1  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  Tessylo @1.2    3 months ago
they actually provide the truth and facts about the subjects/topics that they speak about

Riiiiiiiiiiiiight

Right Down the Center
Senior Guide
1.2.2  Right Down the Center  replied to  Tessylo @1.2    3 months ago
Some folks say we go to the Daily Show, and Stephen Colbert (actors/comedians) for the news

Some folks should think about their choices

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.2.3  Texan1211  replied to  Tessylo @1.2    3 months ago
Some folks say we go to the Daily Show, and Stephen Colbert (actors/comedians) for the news

Yes, and those folks are all correct.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
1.2.4  Tessylo  replied to  Tessylo @1.2    3 months ago

As predicted, someone, as always, proves me correct.

jrSmiley_91_smiley_image.gif

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
1.3  Vic Eldred  replied to  Hallux @1    3 months ago

I watched half his show last night.

His show replaced the "King of Queens" reruns I endlessly enjoy. I will give him credit. He was as tough on Biden as he was on Trump.

Hallux
PhD Principal
1.3.1  seeder  Hallux  replied to  Vic Eldred @1.3    3 months ago
"King of Queens"

I take it neither or both are cis royalty.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
1.3.2  Vic Eldred  replied to  Hallux @1.3.1    3 months ago

Nope. Real people comedy.

Hallux
PhD Principal
1.3.3  seeder  Hallux  replied to  Vic Eldred @1.3.2    3 months ago
Real people comedy.

I logon here for that.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
1.3.4  Vic Eldred  replied to  Hallux @1.3.3    3 months ago

I logon for our readers.

aHR0cDovL2NsLmltZ2hvc3RzLmNvbS9pbWdoL2ltYWdlL2ZldGNoL2FyXzM6MixjX2ZpbGwsZV9zaGFycGVuOjEwMCxmX2pwZyxnX3h5X2NlbnRlcixxX2F1dG86Z29vZCx3XzEwMjAseF80NjkseV8zMTMvaHR0cDovL2ltZ2hvc3RzLmNvbS90LzIwMjQtMDIvODE1NTcwLzBiYjNiNmU3ZTM2ZjQ4NDNlYWY4NDQ2YTM2NmJlZDg2LnBuZw.webp?v=1707862693-gmpb7PQ0zjIoqBq99ccSFIdZG8xhJXUdNvOPefumx_k

Hallux
PhD Principal
1.3.5  seeder  Hallux  replied to  Vic Eldred @1.3.4    3 months ago

Indeed, they're a chatty bunch. One and all chock full of wiley witty wisdom.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
1.3.6  Tessylo  replied to  Vic Eldred @1.3.4    3 months ago

All three of them?

And in your dreams!

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
1.3.7  Trout Giggles  replied to  Hallux @1.3.5    3 months ago

um....

Sparty On
Professor Principal
2  Sparty On    3 months ago

Can he save The Daily Shows ratings?

Only time will tell …..

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
2.1  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  Sparty On @2    3 months ago

Expect many untrue references to the news here as he is a hero to some of our brethren.

Hallux
PhD Principal
2.1.1  seeder  Hallux  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @2.1    3 months ago

He's a hero to 9-11 firemen and anyone else who climbed up the stairs.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
2.1.2  Tessylo  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @2.1    3 months ago

What untrue references?  Jon is a hero as Hallux states.

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
2.1.3  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  Tessylo @2.1.2    3 months ago

[deleted]

Sparty On
Professor Principal
2.1.4  Sparty On  replied to  Tessylo @2.1.2    3 months ago

Hero is a pretty strong description.    He’s done a lot of good but hero?

Nah.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
2.1.5  Tessylo  replied to  Sparty On @2.1.4    3 months ago

Somebody's jealous of a decent man who has accomplished much in life, obviously.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
2.1.6  Tessylo  replied to  Tessylo @2.1.5    3 months ago

[Deleted]

Tessylo
Professor Principal
2.1.7  Tessylo  replied to  Tessylo @2.1.2    3 months ago

I notice there is no answer to the untrue references part, because obviously that's not true.

LOL

Sparty On
Professor Principal
2.1.8  Sparty On  replied to  Tessylo @2.1.5    3 months ago

[deleted]

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
2.1.9  Vic Eldred  replied to  Tessylo @2.1.7    3 months ago
I notice

I've noticed a few things too.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
2.1.10  Tessylo  replied to  Vic Eldred @2.1.9    3 months ago

So cryptic!

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.1.11  Texan1211  replied to  Sparty On @2.1.4    3 months ago
Hero is a pretty strong description.    He’s done a lot of good but hero?

It is a lowering of standards. The same folks think Biden is awesome, so there's always THAT to consider when weighing their opinions.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
2.1.12  Sparty On  replied to  Sparty On @2.1.8    3 months ago

[removed, do not change member's names]

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
3  JohnRussell    3 months ago

Jon Stewart got a lot of criticism on twitter about how he talked about Biden's age. I haven't seen the show yet. If it's on YouTube I'll probably look at it.

I'm glad he's come back once a week for the election year. But if he starts getting into that "both sides" shit he's not going to be helpful.

Right Down the Center
Senior Guide
3.1  Right Down the Center  replied to  JohnRussell @3    3 months ago

Is it his job to be helpfull?

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
3.1.1  JohnRussell  replied to  Right Down the Center @3.1    3 months ago

Supposedly the reason he came back is to try and make sure that Trump doesn't get elected.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
3.1.2  Texan1211  replied to  JohnRussell @3.1.1    3 months ago
Supposedly the reason he came back is to try and make sure that Trump doesn't get elected.

Oh, God, yet another comedian trying to save America!

No wonder liberals are so enthralled with comedians--they must think they are great at delivering the "news" to them and most are against Trump.

What kinds of idiots listen to comedians telling them how to vote? (RHETORICAL!!!)

Right Down the Center
Senior Guide
3.1.3  Right Down the Center  replied to  JohnRussell @3.1.1    3 months ago

According to Jon 

"I very much wanted to have some kind of place to unload thoughts as we get into this election season," Stewart said.

Stewart said his goal is not to have a specific influence on viewers but to have a means of catharsis and a way to comment on issues that people will hopefully enjoy.

As far as influence…just about everything that I wanted to happen over the 16 years that I was at 'The Daily Show' did not happen," explained Stewart, joking that there's no one better to comment on this election than someone "who truly understands two aging men past their prime."

Texan1211
Professor Principal
3.1.4  Texan1211  replied to  Right Down the Center @3.1    3 months ago
Is it his job to be helpfull?

I think his job is shilling for the Democratic Party and their feckless "leader".

Right Down the Center
Senior Guide
3.1.5  Right Down the Center  replied to  Texan1211 @3.1.4    3 months ago

I am sure that is what they are hoping for

Hallux
PhD Principal
3.1.6  seeder  Hallux  replied to  Texan1211 @3.1.2    3 months ago
Oh, God, yet another comedian trying to save America!

It may well take one to do so ... remember that comedy is tragedy + time.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
3.1.7  Sparty On  replied to  JohnRussell @3.1.1    3 months ago

And The Daily Shows ratings have tanked.

Pretty big reason right there …

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
3.1.8  Vic Eldred  replied to  JohnRussell @3.1.1    3 months ago

By telling jokes?

Well, he certainly failed in show # 1 where he called for the democrats who claim Biden is sharp and energetic to provide a film of it.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
3.2  Texan1211  replied to  JohnRussell @3    3 months ago
Jon Stewart got a lot of criticism on twitter about how he talked about Biden's age

Yes, I am sure the tweeters were all a Twitter when hearing some negative stuff about their man!

George
Junior Expert
4  George    3 months ago

The desperation is palpable, we are now bringing washed up comedians out of retirement to prop up the senile old fool.

Hallux
PhD Principal
4.1  seeder  Hallux  replied to  George @4    3 months ago

Good to see you're still grumpy.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
4.2  Tessylo  replied to  George @4    3 months ago

Washed up?  He's a millionaire many times over.  Somebody's jealous!

George
Junior Expert
4.2.1  George  replied to  Tessylo @4.2    3 months ago

So you measure success by bank accounts, then trump destroys your Messiah Biden.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
4.2.2  Texan1211  replied to  Tessylo @4.2    3 months ago

Is he paying his fair share?

Tessylo
Professor Principal
4.2.3  Tessylo  replied to  George @4.2.1    3 months ago

No, maybe you measure success that way.  That piece of shit former 'president' is worthless as a human being.  I will never understand how so many, including yourself, defend the indefensible former 'president'.  

I've been a fan of Jon for a long long long long time.  He's a decent man.  A good man.  I love him.  Many people love him.  He is a hero despite the mockery from some.

Again, somebody's jealous!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Texan1211
Professor Principal
4.2.4  Texan1211  replied to  Tessylo @4.2.3    3 months ago
No, maybe you measure success that way.  That piece of shit former 'president' is worthless as a human being.  I will never understand how so many, including yourself, defend the indefensible former 'president'.

Then why did you write that you couldn't wait to vote for him?

"I can't wait to vote for the 'man', former 'president', responsible for inciting 1/6."

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
5  Greg Jones    3 months ago

Stewart is too smart to turn out to be a shill for Biden. I think he will be equally critical of both sides, like Bill Maher has.

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
5.1  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  Greg Jones @5    3 months ago
I think he will be equally critical of  both sides , like Bill Maher has.

Seems you are correct. And it is pissing liberals off LOL.

Liberal media figures were among those unamused by Stewart's comeback episode.

Right Down the Center
Senior Guide
5.1.1  Right Down the Center  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @5.1    3 months ago

Seems like many were expecting him to be a savior now they just wish he would be quiet about any Biden shortcomings.

The defenders of free speech strike again.  S/

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
5.1.2  Trout Giggles  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @5.1    3 months ago

He doesn't piss me off. I like when he goes after Democrats. It shows me and them that they are human and have warts like every one else

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
5.2  Sean Treacy  replied to  Greg Jones @5    3 months ago
I think he will be equally critical of both sides, like Bill Maher has.

If you were one of the 7 people to watch his apple show, you probably wouldn't say that.

He'll toss in one joke cutting against Biden to every 5 to 10 times he attacks Trump, and progressives will flip out that he's engaging in both sideism (such a stalinist term). Stewart has always been a heavily partisan democrat, he just appears more moderate becasue of the other Colberts and John Olivers of the world.  Like a normal fat  guy standing next to 3 guys who weigh 700 pounds, it alters your perspective.