╌>

Civil War Movie Trailers

Category:  Entertainment

By:  dig  •  2 months ago  •  18 comments

Civil War Movie Trailers

From Wikipedia

Civil War is an upcoming action film written and directed by Alex Garland. The film stars Kirsten Dunst, Wagner Moura, Stephen McKinley Henderson, Cailee Spaeny, Jesse Plemons, and Nick Offerman. The film follows a team of journalists who travel across the United States during the rapidly escalating Second American Civil War, which has engulfed the entire nation.

Civil War is scheduled to be released theatrically on April 12, 2024, by A24 in the United States and Entertainment Film Distributors in the United Kingdom.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Dig
Professor Participates
1  author  Dig    2 months ago

Pretty obvious timing. I guess they figured they'd make more money releasing something like this during what is sure to be another hugely divisive election year.

Anyone looking forward to seeing this?

I'll probably catch it after it goes to video or streaming just for relatively local girl and upcoming star Cailee Spaeny, who is also going to be in the new Alien movie in August.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
2  JohnRussell    2 months ago

it will be interesting to see what kind of point of view this movie takes about this "civil war"

Dig
Professor Participates
2.1  author  Dig  replied to  JohnRussell @2    2 months ago

I'm wondering about that, too.

Dig
Professor Participates
2.2  author  Dig  replied to  JohnRussell @2    2 months ago

It just occurred to me that the film might not even take a side. If the story centers on a group of journalists travelling the country, then they can sort of be outside the box and separate from the two sides battling it out.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
3  Sparty On    2 months ago

Interesting choice for President.

Dig
Professor Participates
3.1  author  Dig  replied to  Sparty On @3    2 months ago

A three term president, no less; per the audio at the start of the first trailer.

Snuffy
Professor Participates
4  Snuffy    2 months ago
In the near future, a team of journalists travel across the United States during the rapidly escalating Second American Civil War that has engulfed the entire nation, between the  American government  and the separatist "Western Forces" led by  Texas  and  California . Civil War (2024 film) - Wikipedia

Yeah, I'll wait till it shows up on streaming as I don't think I want to spend any more money on this. Had to laugh at the trailer however, the "Western Forces" led by Texas AND California? No way in hell that will happen any time soon, those two states don't agree on very much at all. 

Drinker of the Wry
Junior Expert
4.1  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  Snuffy @4    2 months ago

Hard to imagine, even in Hollywood, TX and CA working together to succeed.

Snuffy
Professor Participates
4.1.1  Snuffy  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @4.1    2 months ago

But then again Hollywood brings us men who can fly. And aliens who eat cats.  Hollywood should be able to do anything...   /s

Dig
Professor Participates
4.2  author  Dig  replied to  Snuffy @4    2 months ago
Had to laugh at the trailer however, the "Western Forces" led by Texas AND California? No way in hell that will happen any time soon, those two states don't agree on very much at all. 

I saw a comment on another video saying that there are plenty of non-liberals in California outside of Los Angeles and San Francisco, and that maybe the film has them taking over and joining with Texas. Just speculation, though.

Mark in Wyoming
Professor Silent
4.2.1  Mark in Wyoming   replied to  Dig @4.2    2 months ago

Everyone tends to think if a state decides to fight or go one way or another , state lines stay permanent, those lines would become fluid so to speak, , I tend to look at county lines and not state lines. How a county votes within the state lines would be a good indicator of how much of a state would stay or go.

So many ways this discussion could go it isn't funny.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
4.2.2  Sparty On  replied to  Mark in Wyoming @4.2.1    2 months ago

Brothers fighting brothers.    It happened before, it will happen again if it comes to Civil War.

Some people here romanticize Civil War entirely too much.    I hope this movie doesn’t take that tack. 

Ronin2
Professor Quiet
4.2.3  Ronin2  replied to  Dig @4.2    2 months ago

Or it could be enough Californians move to Texas and illegal immigrants enter and take it over for leftists?

It is Hollywood. 

The only thing I am sure of is that the journalists will be made the heroes of the movie. Because from the looks of it both sides are pretty damn awful in the clips.

Dig
Professor Participates
4.2.4  author  Dig  replied to  Ronin2 @4.2.3    2 months ago

I don't know about illegal immigrants taking anything over for anyone, considering they tend to show up with little more than the clothes on their backs. But yeah, it could be written any number of ways. The Wikipedia article says this:

The film documents the journalists struggling to survive during a time when the government has become a dystopian dictatorship and partisan extremist militias regularly commit war crimes.

I hadn't noticed that before. If the government in DC is supposed to be a dictatorship, then it's probably written to be right wing, with the "Western Forces" being left wing and/or centrist. I'm not sure about this, but Texas might be closer to going blue than California is to going red, so maybe that's how the story will go. Also, the militias might make it a chaotic mess, with more than just two obvious sides.

I think I'm more interested in seeing this to solve the writing choices mystery than anything else.

Kavika
Professor Principal
5  Kavika     2 months ago

There was a movie in the 90s where the state of Idaho went to war with the feds as other states joined them. It was ahead of its time but right now it would be more than accurate. I'm guessing at the name..'' last civil war'' but Jeff Bridges was in it.

It will be interesting to see what point ''side'' the movie takes. I'll probabaly wait till it hits Netflix.

devangelical
Professor Principal
5.1  devangelical  replied to  Kavika @5    2 months ago
It will be interesting to see what point ''side'' the movie takes. I'll probabaly wait till it hits Netflix

I already know which side I'll be rooting for. I might even pay to watch it if there's some extremely graphic scenes... 

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
6  Buzz of the Orient    2 months ago

I just watched the trailers.  Interesting, especially since I've been talking about civil war in America ever since the Jan 6 insurrection.  I'm very much a believer in the fact that not only does Arti imitate Life, but Life also imitates Art, and it would not surprise me if something like this did happen in America - the political divisiveness IMO leads up to it. 

Thomas
Senior Guide
7  Thomas    2 months ago

Just what we need: another dystopian plot that shows how stupid people can be.