╌>

Did Trump Say It Will Be a 'Bloodbath for the Country' If He Doesn't Get Elected? | Snopes.com

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  vic-eldred  •  one month ago  •  33 comments

By:   David Emery (Snopes)

Did Trump Say It Will Be a 'Bloodbath for the Country' If He Doesn't Get Elected? | Snopes.com
Trump spoke about trade tariffs with China at a campaign rally in Dayton, Ohio, on March 16, 2024.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

Claim: At a campaign rally in Dayton, Ohio, on March 16, 2024, former U.S. President Donald Trump said: "Now, if I don't get elected, it's going to be a bloodbath for the whole — that's gonna be the least of it. It's going to be a bloodbath for the country." Rating: Correct Attribution

About this rating

Context

The context of the remark suggests Trump was predicting an "economic bloodbath" for the country, not a literal one, if he loses the 2024 presidential election.

On March 16, 2024, the hashtag "#bloodbath" trended sharply on social media in the wake of a Dayton, Ohio, campaign speech earlier that day by former U.S. President Donald Trump. Trump stirred up controversy by claiming that if he didn't get elected for another presidential term, "It's going to be a bloodbath for the country."

A video recording of the speech from C-SPAN provides proof that he said exactly those words, which many partisan observers, such as the author of the X (formerly Twitter) post below, interpreted as a threat of post-election violence:

OHIO RALLY: Trump threatens violent "BLOODBATH" if he's not re-elected https://t.co/edVPhuxgHE
#TheResistance (@SocialPowerOne1) March 17, 2024

The post above linked to an article on Occupy Democrats, a left-wing website, which pushed the "violent bloodbath" interpretation of Trump's words even as it acknowledged that, as the author put it, the context left "wiggle room" for interpretation. What was that context? Broadly speaking, it was economic. Trump was in the middle of talking about the U.S. automobile industry and the country's trade imbalance with China (emphasis added):

China now is building a couple of massive plants where they're going to build the cars in Mexico and think, they think, that they're going to sell those cars into the United States with no tax at the border.

Let me tell you something, to China, if you're listening, President Xi — and you and I are friends, but he understands the way I deal — those big, monster car-manufacturing plants that you're building in Mexico right now, and you think you're going to get that, you're going to not hire Americans, and you're going to sell the cars to us?

No, we're going to put a 100% tariff on every single car that comes across the line, and you're not going to be able to sell those cars if I get elected. Now, if I don't get elected, it's going to be a bloodbath for the whole — that's going to be the least of it, it's going to be a bloodbath for the country, that'll be the least of it. But they're not going to sell those cars, they're building massive factories.

As some social media users pointed out in lengthy threads debating what Trump really meant, popular dictionaries like Merriam-Webster include "major economic disaster" as a secondary meaning of "bloodbath."

Ultimately, however, "bloodbath for the country" is an ambiguous figure of speech, and Trump has a controversial history of using violence-tinged language in reference to political opponents, which, even if the intent was metaphorical, sarcastic or just to get media attention, makes it unsurprising that his use of the phrase "bloodbath for the country" drew instant public criticism.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
1  seeder  Vic Eldred    one month ago

From Snopes: "The definitive fact checker."

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
1.1  Sean Treacy  replied to  Vic Eldred @1    one month ago

The definitive fact checker

LOL

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
1.1.1  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  Sean Treacy @1.1    one month ago

That's what they call themselves.

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
1.1.2  Sean Treacy  replied to  Vic Eldred @1.1.1    one month ago
hat's what they call themselves.

I know. It's like a fat man declaring himself skinny.  Saying the words don't make it true. 

JBB
Professor Principal
2  JBB    one month ago

Yes, Trump uses vile violent political rhetoric all the time which is disturbing but not as disturbing as the MAGAs expecting us to not believe what we have seen, what we have heard and what we know to be the facts...

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
2.1  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  JBB @2    one month ago

The left does not accept facts.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
2.1.1  JohnRussell  replied to  Vic Eldred @2.1    one month ago

And the right doesn't know any

Right Down the Center
Senior Guide
2.1.2  Right Down the Center  replied to  JohnRussell @2.1.1    one month ago

[deleted]

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
2.1.3  JohnRussell  replied to  Right Down the Center @2.1.2    one month ago

I was directly responding to what vic wrote

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
2.1.4  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  JohnRussell @2.1.3    one month ago

We'll now we have one we can agree on: If China is allowed to keep building massive car plants in Mexico and sell those cars in the US, it will be a bloodbath for the US auto industry.  I'll bet that most people who didn't hear that speech, now know what it was about. 

Was it a stroke of genius, that Trump used the word to get his message out and embarrass the leftist media at the same time? Or was it simply a knee jerk reaction by the Biden campaign that put the media in such an awkward position?

Gazoo
Junior Silent
2.2  Gazoo  replied to  JBB @2    one month ago

the MAGAs expecting us to not believe what we have seen, what we have heard and what we know to be the facts...”

One can lead a horse to water but cannot make it drink.

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
3  Sean Treacy    one month ago

[deleted]

Gazoo
Junior Silent
3.1  Gazoo  replied to  Sean Treacy @3    one month ago

There sure are a lot of people that should not be voting.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
3.2  JohnRussell  replied to  Sean Treacy @3    one month ago

removed for context

Gazoo
Junior Silent
3.2.1  Gazoo  replied to  JohnRussell @3.2    one month ago

[deleted]

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
3.2.2  Sean Treacy  replied to  JohnRussell @3.2    one month ago

[deleted]

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
3.2.3  JohnRussell  replied to  Sean Treacy @3.2.2    one month ago

[deleted]

Gazoo
Junior Silent
3.2.4  Gazoo  replied to  Sean Treacy @3.2.2    one month ago

[deleted]

MrFrost
Professor Expert
4  MrFrost    one month ago

Direct quote:

Now, If I don't get elected, it's gonna be a bloodbath. It's going to be a bloodbath for the country.

If any Democrat said that the GOP would be crying for decades, but trump says it and all we get is "trumpsplainations". 

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
4.1  JohnRussell  replied to  MrFrost @4    one month ago

Imagine if Black Lives Matter made a recording singing the national anthem, and Biden saluted it at a campaign rally. 

There would be calls from MAGA for his execution.

Drinker of the Wry
Junior Expert
4.1.1  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  JohnRussell @4.1    one month ago

[deleted]

Sparty On
Professor Principal
4.1.2  Sparty On  replied to  JohnRussell @4.1    one month ago
There would be calls from MAGA for his execution.

Bullshit.    Nothing but a “TDS” fantasy driven falsehood.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
4.2  Sparty On  replied to  MrFrost @4    one month ago

No, actually what you get is real context, not TDS driven nonsense.    Or TDS driven “moderation” for that matter.

JBB
Professor Principal
4.2.1  JBB  replied to  Sparty On @4.2    one month ago

Calling everything you don't like "TDS" doesn't trump facts. You cannot just pull it out your ass and trump reality. It is a fake out! 

Sparty On
Professor Principal
4.2.2  Sparty On  replied to  JBB @4.2.1    one month ago

Wrong.   [deleted]

JBB
Professor Principal
4.2.3  JBB  replied to  Sparty On @4.2.2    one month ago

original

charger 383
Professor Silent
4.2.4  charger 383  replied to  Sparty On @4.2.2    one month ago

Flag on 4.2.2 dismissed as JBB responded to it

JBB
Professor Principal
4.2.5  JBB  replied to  charger 383 @4.2.4    one month ago

Except, I did not flag 4.2.2 so that rule is not even in play...

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
4.2.6  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  JBB @4.2.5    one month ago

Honest mistake. Charger is getting used to the new system. I will handle it.

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
4.2.7  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @4.2.6    one month ago

Finally thank you for the clarification.

George
Junior Expert
4.2.8  George  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @4.2.7    one month ago

Cool, now  you can tag team comments, you can respond to it and I can flag it. that way you can get your counter punch in and i can get them a ticket for their comment. 

Sparty On
Professor Principal
4.2.9  Sparty On  replied to  George @4.2.8    one month ago

lol ….exactly what is happening.    You can bet on that.

C’est la vie …..

Tacos!
Professor Guide
5  Tacos!    one month ago

I’ve said it at least a hundred time since 2015. Please stop exaggerating about Trump or quoting him out of context. The truth is bad enough. Stretching it only gives him credibility.