╌>

Sonia Sotomayor's Retirement Is A 'Personal Decision': White House

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  robert-in-ohio  •  4 weeks ago  •  9 comments

By:    Molly Redden

Sonia Sotomayor's Retirement Is A 'Personal Decision': White House
"Sonia Sotomayor's Retirement Is A 'Personal Decision", the White House

Another issue to be considered by people in making their voting decision this November - will another Supreme Court seat be filled by the next President of the United States?

I thin Justice Sotomayor has done a credible and honest job, though I did not necessarily always agree with her decisions on issues, those decisions were well reasoned and explained.

Were she to retire now and Trump were to be elected, a shift in the Senate to the right could create a 7 to 2 conservative composition of the court.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

T he Biden administration shot back at  calls from the left for Supreme Court Justice Sonia Sotomayor to retire , calling it a “personal decision” the White House wasn’t getting involved in.

“When it comes to those types of decisions, those are personal decisions, regardless of if it’s Justice Sotomayor or any other justice on the bench,” White House press secretary Karine Jean-Pierre said at a   Wednesday press briefing .

“That is for them to make, that is a decision for that justice to make. Again, it’s a personal decision. That is not something that we get involved in, but it is something for, obviously, any justice on the bench. They should be given the space and freedom to make that decision.”

The question follows increasing debate over whether Democrats ought to pressure Sotomayor to retire. The 69-year-old, who has Type 1 diabetes, is the oldest sitting Supreme Court justice appointed by a Democratic president. If the party loses either the White House or the Senate in November, it may lose the ability to choose her replacement for years to come.

With the Supreme Court already dominated by a six-justice conservative majority, a small but vocal group of legal experts are encouraging Sotomayor to step down.

One expert told HuffPost   he feared “the Ruth Bader Ginsburg precedent.” Democrats resisted putting pressure on Ginsburg to resign; when the 87-year-old passed away in 2020, former President Donald Trump rushed to appoint Amy Coney Barrett as her successor.

“I have PTSD from 2020,” former MSNBC host Mehdi Hasan   said on CNN   Tuesday, adding, “Republicans are very good at stacking courts, at getting their people on courts ... Democrats aren’t very good at seeing the power of the Supreme Court.”

Democratic senators have said they   would not join calls   for Sotomayor to retire. But Sen. Richard Blumenthal (D-Conn.) called for her to make her decision carefully.

“I’m very respectful of Justice Sotomayor. I have great admiration for her. But I think she really has to weigh the competing factors,”   he told NBC . “We should learn a lesson. And it’s not like there’s any mystery here about what the lesson should be.”

Red Box Rules

A serious question deserving civil, serious discussion.

That's the goal do the best you can to present your view without attacking or denigrating other people.

Article is LOCKED by moderator [Split Personality]
[]

Robert in Ohio
Professor Guide
1  seeder  Robert in Ohio    4 weeks ago

It seems to me that were Justice Sotomayor to retire before the election, she would be rolling the dice that Buden will win in November, that the Democrats will widen their Senate majority and thus a liberal will be appointed to replace her.

In that case the Left wins.

On the other hand if Biden loses and the republicans were to take control of the Senate the chance of another young conservative on the Supreme Court would be real.

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
1.1  Jeremy Retired in NC  replied to  Robert in Ohio @1    4 weeks ago

Regardless of how the election goes, the confirmation process will be an utter clown show.  

Robert in Ohio
Professor Guide
2  seeder  Robert in Ohio    4 weeks ago

From the article

"I have PTSD from 2020,” former MSNBC host Mehdi Hasan said on CNN  Tuesday, adding, “Republicans are very good at stacking courts, at getting their people on courts ... Democrats aren’t very good at seeing the power of the Supreme Court.”

Drinker of the Wry
Junior Expert
3  Drinker of the Wry    4 weeks ago

How can anyone supporting someone entering the Presidency at 82 ask a Justice to retire at 69?

George
Junior Expert
3.1  George  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @3    4 weeks ago

Blatant unapologetic hypocrisy. 

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
3.2  JohnRussell  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @3    4 weeks ago
Experts say that type 1 diabetes can shorten your life by years — it’s unquestionably one of the scariest things about the condition.

Life expectancy is a distressing topic, but an important one. The few recent studies on the topic suggest that people with type 1 diabetes can expect to live about 12 years fewer than peers without diabetes.

Thankfully, we can take that number with a grain of salt. The very latest science shows that diabetes mortality rates are declining across the board, and we believe that a little context will offer some reasons for optimism.

The Truth About Type 1 Diabetes and Life Expectancy – Diabetes Daily

Neeedless to say, since I just posted that, Sonia Sotomayor has type 1 diabetes. 

George
Junior Expert
4  George    4 weeks ago

It appears that the left is showing as much confidence that Biden will be reelected as the polls are showing. 

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
4.1  Jeremy Retired in NC  replied to  George @4    4 weeks ago

And, as expected, their supporters are trying to gaslight everybody into believing otherwise.

Split Personality
Professor Guide
5  Split Personality    4 weeks ago

Article is locked for potential copyright infringement caused by completely replacing the published title.

Contact the RA to  restore after the title has been corrected.