╌>

The night Chicago died

Category:  Op/Ed

By:  vic-eldred  •  2 weeks ago  •  45 comments

The night Chicago died
I think a part of Chicago has died. Part of Chicago, like the mothers when I first got here, the families when I first got here tonight, should be screaming, should be running, should be crying. We all should," he said.

Link to post: Mass shooting in Chicago leaves girl dead, 10 other people injured in Back of the Yards - CBS Chicago (cbsnews.com)

This morning, I have been truly inspired. The source of my inspiration is a story which appears on our front page: Wisconsin Man Accused Of Killing, Dismembering Woman While On A Date - Community | The NewsTalkers

Now I realize how important these stories are. A few days ago, an equally horrendous crime to the one in Milwaukee took place in the once great city of Chicago.  It was a shooting that involved little children:

CHICAGO (CBS) --  One child was killed, and 10 other people, including three other children, were injured in a shooting in Chicago's Back of the Yards neighborhood Saturday evening, police said.

The shooting happened around 9:20 p.m. near West 52nd Street and South Damen Avenue, Chicago police said. The victims were at a family gathering when the shooting happened. 

Officers responded to a ShotSpotter alert of 18 rounds fired and found multiple people shot on the block, police said. Officers then began providing life-saving care, including tourniquets and chest seals, according to Chicago Police Area One Deputy Chief Don Jerome. 

A 9-year-old girl was shot in the head and died, according to police and her family, who identified her as Ariana Molina.

Mass shooting in Chicago leaves girl dead, 10 other people injured in Back of the Yards - CBS Chicago (cbsnews.com)

This was another tragedy for a city that has now been struggling for decades with rampant crime. The current mayor like his predecessor is an incompetent ideologue. Perhaps that is why he was elected.

Street pastor Donovan Price said the impact on the family has been devastating:

"I think a part of Chicago has died. Part of Chicago, like the mothers when I first got here, the families when I first got here tonight, should be screaming, should be running, should be crying. We all should," he said.

Mass shooting in Chicago leaves girl dead, 10 other people injured in Back of the Yards - CBS Chicago (cbsnews.com)

Who could have done such a terrible thing?

It seems as though nobody was able to offer a description of the killers.

I think this issue is important enough to be a weekly feature.

In other news:

The Senate dismissed the impeachment of Alejandro Mayorkas who has refused to enforce immigration law. A new precedent has now been set and future Senate majorities will likely dismiss impeachment articles against individuals on partisan grounds.

Speaker Mike Johnson said that the House would vote on aid to Israel and Ukraine on Saturday, and he will likely face an uprising from his right.

Arizona Republicans again blocked a democrat effort to repeal the state’s 1864 abortion ban. Donald Trump is in favor of the democrat repeal motion.

Biden plans to increase steel and aluminum tariffs on China.

The leaders of Columbia University, appearing at a congressional hearing, described campus antisemitism as a major problem and vowed to combat it.

A Hezbollah missile attack wounded 14 IDF soldiers in northern Israel.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
1  author  Vic Eldred    2 weeks ago

Good morning.

18themorning-nl-majorkas-zhmw-jumbo.jpg
Alejandro Mayorkas  Anna Rose Layden for The New York Times

The constitution sets "high crimes and misdemeanors" as the general bar for impeaching an official. Senate Democrats, who control the chamber by just one seat, voted that the articles didn't meet that bar.

Nevertheless, Senate Republicans argued that Democrats were making a major mistake by pushing to dismiss the trial before it even began. Their GOP colleagues in the House charged Mayorkas with betraying the public trust and  violating the Constitution  by "willfully and systemically" refusing to enforce border security laws.

Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell, R-Ky.,  argued it was the Senate's duty to at least consider the House's charges. After the upper chamber voted, the top Republican said that "today is not a proud day in the history of the Senate."

"By doing what we just did, we have in effect ignored the directions of the House which were to have a trial. No evidence, no procedure," he added.

Senate rejects both impeachment articles against Alejandro Mayorkas (usatoday.com)

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
2  author  Vic Eldred    2 weeks ago

The "whistleblower" who sparked Donald Trump’s first impeachment was deeply involved in the political maneuverings behind Biden-family business schemes in Ukraine that Trump wanted probed, newly obtained emails from former Vice President Joe Biden’s office reveal.

In 2019, then-National Intelligence Council analyst Eric Ciaramella touched off a political firestorm when he anonymously accused Trump of linking military aid for Ukraine to a demand for an investigation into alleged Biden corruption in that country.

But four years earlier, while working as a national security analyst attached to then-Vice President Joe Biden’s office, Ciaramella was a close adviser when Biden threatened to cut off U.S. aid to Ukraine unless it fired its top prosecutor, Viktor Shokin, who was investigating Ukraine-based Burisma Holdings. At the time, the corruption-riddled energy giant was paying Biden’s son Hunter millions of dollars.

Impeachment 'whistleblower' was in loop of Biden-Ukraine scheme Trump wanted investigated | WND | by Around the Web

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.1  Texan1211  replied to  Vic Eldred @2    2 weeks ago

I would like to think this would be considered shocking, but all convention goes out the window and insanity rules when it comes to anything Trump.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
2.1.1  author  Vic Eldred  replied to  Texan1211 @2.1    2 weeks ago

The truth comes out ever so slowly.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.1.2  Texan1211  replied to  Vic Eldred @2.1.1    2 weeks ago

Bidenistas don't give a good damn about the truth, man!

All one has to do is read the comments all about Trump any time something negative is said about Biden. They are interested in spreading lies and deflecting criticism from Biden.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
2.1.3  author  Vic Eldred  replied to  Texan1211 @2.1.2    2 weeks ago

What can they really respond with?

They back and authoritarian woke regime, which constantly generates bad news.  So, in the end either they make it personal, or they attack the man who is in their way.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.1.4  Texan1211  replied to  Vic Eldred @2.1.3    2 weeks ago
So, in the end either they make it personal, or they attack the man who is in their way.

Yes, the strategy is evident.

When attacks on Trump seem to fail, some move on to insulting anyone who ever voted for Trump or plans to vote for him.

It's pathetic.

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
3  Jeremy Retired in NC    2 weeks ago
The Senate dismissed the impeachment of Alejandro Mayorkas who has refused to enforce immigration law.

This is very telling of the Democrat ignorant and incompetent stance on immigration and national security.  Sadly there are many that also support this disgrace and will still vote for them.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
3.1  Texan1211  replied to  Jeremy Retired in NC @3    2 weeks ago

Far too many lemmings have fallen for this Administration's outright lies about the border and immigration.

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
3.1.1  Jeremy Retired in NC  replied to  Texan1211 @3.1    2 weeks ago
Far too many lemmings have fallen for this Administration's outright lies about the border and immigration.

They've found it easier to keep their heads firmly placed in their 4th Points Of Contact.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
3.2  author  Vic Eldred  replied to  Jeremy Retired in NC @3    2 weeks ago

The very people who are lurking.

It isn't going to get any better.

Impeachment now means nothing. Maybe that's a good thing.

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
3.2.1  Jeremy Retired in NC  replied to  Vic Eldred @3.2    2 weeks ago
Impeachment now means nothing.

That can be traced back to the 1st "impeachment" of Trump when the Democrats did it with false accusations and hoaxs.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
3.2.2  author  Vic Eldred  replied to  Jeremy Retired in NC @3.2.1    2 weeks ago

Long before the dems won the House in 2018 Washington Post Columnist David Ignatius predicted right on Morning Joe's early morning show that the 2018 midterm election would be the "impeachment election" for democrats.  They were determined from the minute Trump was elected.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
4  author  Vic Eldred    2 weeks ago

Last night Jesse Waters had a jury consultant on his show. One thing she doesn't like on juries is lawyers.

They went through the list of 7 jurors.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
4.1  author  Vic Eldred  replied to  Vic Eldred @4    2 weeks ago

BTW JUROR # 2 HAS NOW BEEN EXCUSED.

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
4.1.1  Jeremy Retired in NC  replied to  Vic Eldred @4.1    2 weeks ago

Then there's this:

Former President Donald Trump’s jury selection remains underway in New York, with 7 out of 12 seats filled by Tuesday afternoon from a pool of 96 potential jurors. But so far, the jury of the former president’s “peers” seems to have a common attribute — they largely get their news from the same left-wing media that have spent years disparaging Trump.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
4.1.2  author  Vic Eldred  replied to  Jeremy Retired in NC @4.1.1    2 weeks ago

That's what is called a "red flag."

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
4.1.3  Jeremy Retired in NC  replied to  Vic Eldred @4.1.2    2 weeks ago

And yet to many (including many here on NT) don't see the problem with it.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
4.1.4  author  Vic Eldred  replied to  Jeremy Retired in NC @4.1.3    2 weeks ago

Um hum. We have only a few who will admit it.

Many are very angry right now. Let us enjoy the temporary peace & quiet.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
5  Texan1211    2 weeks ago
A Hezbollah missile attack wounded 14 IDF soldiers in northern Israel.

So, how long before the pro-Palestinian contingent cheers this atrocity?

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
5.1  author  Vic Eldred  replied to  Texan1211 @5    2 weeks ago

They are encamped at Columbia as we speak.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
5.1.1  Texan1211  replied to  Vic Eldred @5.1    2 weeks ago

I am rather surprised that many of our universities seem to be bastions of rank stupidity now.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
5.1.2  author  Vic Eldred  replied to  Texan1211 @5.1.1    2 weeks ago

The left controls them.  Columbia is a leading producer of teachers & professors.  That school was one of the first to go left.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
5.1.3  author  Vic Eldred  replied to  Vic Eldred @5.1.2    2 weeks ago

Speaking of Columbia, the President of the University finally had to call the police.

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
5.1.4  Jeremy Retired in NC  replied to  Vic Eldred @5.1.3    2 weeks ago

Not like they'll be charged.  

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
5.1.5  author  Vic Eldred  replied to  Jeremy Retired in NC @5.1.4    2 weeks ago

Nope. I wonder how many are foreign exchange students?

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
5.1.6  Jeremy Retired in NC  replied to  Vic Eldred @5.1.5    2 weeks ago

Good question.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
5.1.7  author  Vic Eldred  replied to  Jeremy Retired in NC @5.1.6    2 weeks ago

I think a President Trump might just put an end to exchange students from rogue states. Some of those protestors were chanting "We are Hamas."

I think that should be enough.

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
5.1.8  Jeremy Retired in NC  replied to  Vic Eldred @5.1.7    2 weeks ago
Some of those protestors were chanting "We are Hamas."

That SHOULD mean an arrest, but then again, the left are supporting Hamas.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
5.1.9  author  Vic Eldred  replied to  Jeremy Retired in NC @5.1.8    2 weeks ago

Yup. I think it's time we came to grips with the fact that many of the pro-Palestinian protestors are really pro-Hamas protestors.

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
5.1.10  Jeremy Retired in NC  replied to  Vic Eldred @5.1.9    2 weeks ago

Does that mean, as a vet, I can treat them the same way I treated other terrorists?

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
5.1.11  author  Vic Eldred  replied to  Jeremy Retired in NC @5.1.10    2 weeks ago

I would say yes, but I think we would need to vote out Biden first.

We have to do it!

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
5.1.12  Jeremy Retired in NC  replied to  Vic Eldred @5.1.11    2 weeks ago

Well there is the oath to "defend the constitution against all enemies foreign and domestic."

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
6  author  Vic Eldred    2 weeks ago

Another juror in the Trump case has been dropped!!!

I guess we are going backwards. The latest juror was tossed because he may have been involved in tearing down Republican campaign signs.

Somebody here said jury selection was moving along rapidly.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
6.1  author  Vic Eldred  replied to  Vic Eldred @6    2 weeks ago

Oh, here is Lee Zeldin to discuss all the SHIT going on in New York.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
6.2  author  Vic Eldred  replied to  Vic Eldred @6    2 weeks ago

Where is the guy who told us that jury selection would be wrapped up by tomorrow?

Where the hell is he?

Texan1211
Professor Principal
6.2.1  Texan1211  replied to  Vic Eldred @6.2    2 weeks ago

meme-hunting?

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
6.2.2  author  Vic Eldred  replied to  Texan1211 @6.2.1    2 weeks ago

Lol, nope.

Think Chitown.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
6.2.3  Texan1211  replied to  Vic Eldred @6.2.2    2 weeks ago

Ah. 

Say no more!

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
6.2.4  JohnRussell  replied to  Vic Eldred @6.2    2 weeks ago
Where is the guy who told us that jury selection would be wrapped up by tomorrow?

Where the hell is he?

this seed is another clown show. 

they have 12 jurors seated now , and will finish with the alternates tomorrow. 

yesterday i said they would be done by the end of the week, which looks like its going to happen

Tessylo
Professor Principal
6.2.5  Tessylo  replied to  JohnRussell @6.2.4    2 weeks ago

Wasn't someone willing to wager that wouldn't come to pass?

Tessylo
Professor Principal
6.2.6  Tessylo  replied to  Tessylo @6.2.5    2 weeks ago

They were wrong, as usual.

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
6.3  Sean Treacy  replied to  Vic Eldred @6    2 weeks ago

I see the judge said it was a “close call” about letting a woman who attacked trump on social media as as a sexist, racist  narcissist serve on the jury before deciding she can’t. 

if he’s even thinking of letting people as biased as that on the jury, trump is screwed.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
7  author  Vic Eldred    2 weeks ago

Jonathon Turley has just weighed in on the "Uncle Bozey" yarn:

No, The President’s Uncle Was Not Eaten by Cannibals . . . Seriously – JONATHAN TURLEY

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
7.1  Sean Treacy  replied to  Vic Eldred @7    2 weeks ago
One of the documented stories of Japanese cannibalism involved another president. George H.W. Bush was a combat pilot in World War II and  survived being shot down over the Pacific during a raid on the island of Chichi Jima in September of 1944. He was not alone. Nine other airmen went down, but only Bush was able to evade capture because he bailed out over the sea. Nevertheless, he only survived because other pilots gave covering fire as he paddled away in a life raft.

The other eight were not so lucky. James Bradley’s book Flyboys: A Story of True Courage details the tragedy that unfolded. They were beaten and tortured and eventually beheaded.  Major Sueo Matoba then had their flesh prepared for an officers’ feast and a party in his quarters. Also Captain Shizuo Yoshii hosted a similar feast and both General Yoshio Tachibana and and Rear Admiral Kunizo Mori, the army and navy commanders of the island,  reportedly partook in the meals. The four airmen used for the meals were Marve Mershon, Floyd Hall, Jimmy Dye, and Warren Earl Vaughn.

Ironically, there are also stories of native cannibals rescuing downed pilots and, rather than eating them, helping them survive and make it back to their commands

This was new to me.  Drives home the point how lucky Americans were to be captured by nazis as opposed to the Japanese