╌>

Donald Trump Does Not Get Post-Shooting Poll Boost - Newsweek

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  jbb  •  3 months ago  •  36 comments

By:   Flynn Nicholls (Newsweek)

Donald Trump Does Not Get Post-Shooting Poll Boost - Newsweek
The new poll has revealed that Donald Trump is leading Joe Biden by just one percentage point ahead of the presidential election in November.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

By Flynn Nicholls 

Donald Trump has not received a poll boost in the first presidential election survey conducted since the failed assassination attempt on Saturday.

The poll, conducted by Morning Consult of 2,045 registered voters on Monday, reveals that Trump is leading Joe Biden by just one percentage point on 46 percent, compared to the president's 45 percent. The poll has a margin of error of +/- two percentage points.

The findings also reveal that Trump's lead has narrowed slightly since the firm's previous survey, conducted between July 12 and 14, which put Trump two percentage points ahead on 44 percent to Biden's 42 percent.

The week before the shooting, national polls had Trump as the favorite to win the White House, leading narrowly in the six key battleground states of Arizona, Georgia, Michigan, Nevada, Pennsylvania, and Wisconsin, despite some of the results falling within the statistical margin of error.

The results suggested that Trump would comfortably take the Electoral College.

Donald Trump at the Republican National Convention in Milwaukee, July 15, 2024. Trump has not received a poll boost in the first presidential election survey conducted since the assassination attempt.Donald Trump at the Republican National Convention in Milwaukee, July 15, 2024. Trump has not received a poll boost in the first presidential election survey conducted since the assassination attempt.Charles Rex Arbogast/ASSOCIATED PRESS

The latest poll, where Biden has narrowed the lead, will therefore come as a surprise to the manyanalysts who predicted that Trump would see a surge in the polls, having survived the assassination attempt. One analyst predicted it would be a unifying moment for the nation which would propel him to "total victory in November"

The now iconic image of the bloodied Republican candidate definitely pumping his fist at the cheering crowd was circulated across the world, with international newspapers leading with "Trump Defiant," and "Trump wins election here."

Instead, the first poll since the shooting shows Biden narrowing Trump's lead, which remains within the statistical margin of error.

Biden is looking to close the gap as well as to defend his place on the Democratic ticket while facing enormous political pressure for him to step down from some members of his party, but following the shooting he has had to moderate his attacks on Trump.

He strongly condemned the shooting on Saturday night, saying political violence was "sick" and had "no place in America." He called Trump, he tried to call the widow of Corey Comperatore, the man who was killed at the rally, and his campaign has reportedly pulled its $50 million television advertising blitz which characterized Trump as a criminal.

Trump, meanwhile, authorized a GoFundMe campaign for the victims of the shooting, and sent love to the families in a public post on Truth Social.

On Monday, he traveled to the Republican National Convention in Milwaukee, where JD Vance was announced as his running mate. Trump officially received the party's nomination as well as a raucous standing ovation when he entered Fiserv Forum wearing a white bandage over his right ear.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

JBB
Professor Principal
1  seeder  JBB    3 months ago

Trump and President Biden are both polling at about 45% each now. The difference is that Trump has never polled above 50% ever and has never won the majority of votes cast. President Biden has and he will again on Election Day, November 5th...

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
1.1  Sean Treacy  replied to  JBB @1    3 months ago

The difference is that Trump has never polled above 50% ev

There have been plenty of polls showing trump over 50% this cycle,

JBB
Professor Principal
1.1.1  seeder  JBB  replied to  Sean Treacy @1.1    3 months ago

Not including undecided voters there hasn't!

If they are, Trump has never gone over 50%...

Like in 2020 undecideds will break for Biden.

George
Junior Expert
1.1.2  George  replied to  Sean Treacy @1.1    3 months ago

Current polling shows trrump up by 2 in New Hampshire and up by 1 in New Jersey,  this could get really ugly. 

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
1.1.3  Greg Jones  replied to  JBB @1.1.1    3 months ago
"Like in 2020 undecideds will break for Biden."

Based on what?

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
1.1.4  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  JBB @1.1.1    3 months ago

There HAS to be a way that Biden can overcome the drama of Trump's being shot and to prove he's fit for reelection.  I would suggest that either he be a winning contestant on Jeopardy, or else do a skydive from USA 1. 

Mark in Wyoming
Professor Silent
1.1.5  Mark in Wyoming   replied to  Buzz of the Orient @1.1.4    3 months ago

then the question would be , who would he trust to pack his chute , and would they even give him a chute instead of some little girls school back pack .......

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
1.1.6  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Mark in Wyoming @1.1.5    3 months ago

I think that those who are closest to him are the ones who can be trusted to pack the chute, but there seem to be many not so close who might want to do as you suggest.  However, the Republicans are not free of such persons either, as Trump's right ear lays witness to. 

Tessylo
Professor Principal
1.2  Tessylo  replied to  JBB @1    3 months ago

I don't know why anyone would think this incident would change anyone's mind about voting for the former 'president' traitor convicted felon and rapist.  IMHO it's a deflection/distraction from project 2025 and all the surrounding scumbag traitors involved in/of the former 'president's' revenge and retribution evil 'campaign' tour'

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
1.3  Greg Jones  replied to  JBB @1    3 months ago

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
2  Hal A. Lujah    3 months ago

I wouldn’t vote for this prick if he were the sole survivor of a plane crash brought down by Putin himself.

Drakkonis
Professor Guide
3  Drakkonis    3 months ago

How did Trump do in the polls before he was elected president? 

JBB
Professor Principal
3.1  seeder  JBB  replied to  Drakkonis @3    3 months ago

Always below 50% and never a majority of votes!

Drakkonis
Professor Guide
3.1.1  Drakkonis  replied to  JBB @3.1    3 months ago

I think the question went over your head and, apparently, those who voted up your comment. 

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
3.1.2  Greg Jones  replied to  JBB @3.1    3 months ago

That's before Biden showed up and proved to be an epic failure at governing. Only electoral votes count, and Trump is likely to win the popular vote this time around because so many people are fed up with Biden and the progressive left.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
3.1.3  Tessylo  replied to  Greg Jones @3.1.2    3 months ago

jrSmiley_86_smiley_image.gif

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
4  JohnRussell    3 months ago
The now iconic image of the bloodied Republican candidate definitely pumping his fist at the cheering crowd was circulated across the world, with international newspapers leading with "Trump Defiant," and "Trump wins election here."

I have a feeling all the "adoration" over that photo will cost Trump as many votes as it will gain him. 

Tessylo
Professor Principal
4.1  Tessylo  replied to  JohnRussell @4    3 months ago

Check out the RNC convention when they all did that and chanted fight when the traitor got on stage/in the auditorium

Just like nazi Germany.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
4.2  Trout Giggles  replied to  JohnRussell @4    3 months ago

I've spit more blood having a tooth pulled that what was on his face

Tessylo
Professor Principal
4.2.1  Tessylo  replied to  Trout Giggles @4.2    3 months ago

Not to defend him, god no!  But I was talking with my dad this morning, we get together twice a week now, Tuesday for breakfast and Thursday for dinner, anyway, I said the same thing - not much blood, and he said there wouldn't be a lot of blood from there - it's all cartilage basically and some little blood vessels but not a lot of blood.  So I guess that's why there wasn't much blood.  I'm surprised he still has an ear though if it was hit by a bullet.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
4.2.2  Trout Giggles  replied to  Tessylo @4.2.1    3 months ago

I dunno when I was trying to self pierce my ears I bled a lot.

I'm surprised he still has an ear though if it was hit by a bullet.

He may be sporting the Evanger Holyfield look

I think it's great that you see your dad a couple of times a week. Hold on to those memories

Tessylo
Professor Principal
4.2.3  Tessylo  replied to  Trout Giggles @4.2.2    3 months ago

Was it your ear lobe?  That's actual flesh there and probably more bloody. 

Call me crazy, there's more here than what meets the eye, who knows anymore?????????

Crazy where we are at this point in time.

Anyway, yeah, my dad's getting on in years - still real sharp, he keeps busy and has a used/rare book store for his retirement.  He retired early many years ago with a pension and his Social Security so he's doing good.  We get together on Thursdays and watch Jon Stewart, he does the Daily show on Mondays since it's an election year, God!, and catch up with Stephen Colbert's monologues and catch any guest interviews that we like.  His girl friend is usually there and we have fun.  

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
4.2.4  Trout Giggles  replied to  Tessylo @4.2.3    3 months ago

Definitely the ear lobe. I wouldn't dare to try my upper ear. Tho I guess that wouldn't be too bloody.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
4.2.5  Tessylo  replied to  Tessylo @4.2.3    3 months ago

He worked for Dupont Pharma when he retired so I bet he gets a pretty sweet pension.  He's doing well.  Has a real nice place with his gal pal - they share expenses more than anything and are good friends.  

Tessylo
Professor Principal
4.2.6  Tessylo  replied to  Trout Giggles @4.2.4    3 months ago

My sister has a few piercings along the sides, the cartilage, I bet that hurt!

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
4.2.7  Trout Giggles  replied to  Tessylo @4.2.5    3 months ago

Sounds like he has a good life.

Found a meme

Tessylo
Professor Principal
4.2.8  Tessylo  replied to  Trout Giggles @4.2.7    3 months ago

jrSmiley_91_smiley_image.gif

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
4.3  Greg Jones  replied to  JohnRussell @4    3 months ago

Why would you say that? There is the sympathy vote, no telling how strong that will be. And then there's a general feeling that the Biden administration is somehow involved in all this, specifically Jill's cheerleading for the inept Secret Service boss. It's amazing the shooter was spotted 30 minutes prior to firing and nothing was apparently done to stop him.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
4.3.1  Tessylo  replied to  Greg Jones @4.3    3 months ago

What sympathy vote?  Not going to make one bit of difference.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
4.3.2  Tessylo  replied to  Greg Jones @4.3    3 months ago

Funny, that general feeling from some is that this was a wag the dog event by the former 'president's' and convicted felon and rapists' to deflect attention from all of his involvement with project 2025 and also to create sympathy for him.

Not saying I necessarily have that 'feeling' but hey . . . 

But to think that President Biden and his administration called this 'hit' is fucking lunacy.

Just a general feeling ...

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
5  JohnRussell    3 months ago

There are  three and a half months until the election. Trump cant keep his mouth shut and there is a 100% chance he will say a thousand stupid things between now and election day.  It is far from over. 

Igknorantzruls
Sophomore Quiet
5.1  Igknorantzruls  replied to  JohnRussell @5    3 months ago

and we know, millions without reason, will continue to excuse any and everything the hate mongering divider in chief without relief, does. 

Hopefully, those not indoctrinated to the Trump culture will do the oh so obvious right thing, and avoid the detriment that another Trump administration, would without doubt, most definitely bring. The 'man' who has stated he will be a dicktater, Democracy hater, division instigator, anything but a sophisticated master debater, as he pursues vengence against any and all, irregardless of skin so thin and grievance so small, for even totally legit were pursuit of crimes he even admitted he did commit, he believes it is fair for he to punish those just following the law as he just continued to lead it astray and away without ever braking from breaking as acceleration has shown to be his only speed as he races to crash the experiment he's hell bent on completing, as he has already gone back to spewing his lying virtual  vitriol voice, as he seem to not have a choice, though his exclamations are, and he so bazaar, his base has been stolen while not safe, he's been tagged and is it, if only freedom were the game from our youth, if only hidden were so many not from the truth, they would seek it, and find that piece of shit to be a baby ruth, aborted after birth as in infanticide , just another Trump fantasy that he does imbibe, while of course never whipping the ones who came for the wild, into a feeding frenzy for all sharks to learn from, cause its easy when he loves the not bright to dim the amount of light seen,  like a spoiled child without a compass, he misleads the ignorant and pompous, to a state if succeeded, Constitution unneeded,  and with an evil craving and no face needed saving, Trump again tries to Trump himself

leaving our United States, a paradoxical waste, as we witness his presence/presents overwhelm the stance/gifts given by our framers and forefathers, one has to wonder how such a Mother came about, but rather obvious when the big picture is looked upon, as we have been in decline as the manipulation of mind, became childs play for the media fed maniacle manipulation, for a once, truly great, nation

bugsy
Professor Participates
6  bugsy    3 months ago

[]

devangelical
Professor Principal
7  devangelical    3 months ago

I heard that the secret service agents close to the section of rally crowd that were pointing at the shooter ignored them as hecklers because they were all shouting donald duck.

Mark in Wyoming
Professor Silent
7.1  Mark in Wyoming   replied to  devangelical @7    3 months ago

i was wondering if and when that joke was going to be played , took longer than i thought .

Tessylo
Professor Principal
7.2  Tessylo  replied to  devangelical @7    3 months ago

You're funny unlike some others here who shouldn't quit their day jobs