╌>

Kamala Harris Got Into Law School Via a Program She Didn't Qualify For

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  s  •  3 days ago  •  87 comments

Kamala Harris Got Into Law School Via a Program She Didn't Qualify For
Harris, the daughter of two college professors, who grew up attending private schools in Canada, was not, in the least, economically or socially disadvantaged. But there she is, claiming she was.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

amala Harris graduated from Howard University without honors. Harris then applied to law school. She was admitted to Hastings School of Law at the University of California. Hastings is considered a good law school but not “elite." It ranks   80th  of America’s ABA schools. 

Admission isn't a "breeze" but it is pretty easy to be accepted for an honors student, with a solid LSAT. Of the total applicants to Hastings, about half are accepted and around a third of that number actually enroll. That means Hasting is a “backup” law school for a lot of the applicants.   

She wasn't an honors student at Howard. There is no information on what Kamala Harris scored on her LSAT. We do know that she didn't pass the Bar on the first try when 80 percent of her classmates   did pass . So how did a run-of-the-mill student, and daughter of a “privileged” upbringing get into Hastings School of Law? 

Easy – she fudged her application. Harris was admitted under a program called LEOP. According to the   University :  

UC Hastings created the Legal Education Opportunity Program (LEOP) in 1969 to make an outstanding legal education accessible to those who come from disadvantaged economic and educational backgrounds.  
 Students are encouraged to submit a “separate LEOP statement describing the adversity they faced and its impact on their academic preparedness for law school. Diagnostic reports documenting disabilities and/or accommodations can be submitted as addenda.”  

In a Politico article from 2021, the author describes Harris at  Hastings

In the fall of 1986, Harris arrived on campus at Hastings a week before most of her classmates. She was part of the pre-orientation Legal Education Opportunity Program (LEOP), which had been founded in 1969 to help law students from disadvantaged communities navigate the stringent demands of the first-year curriculum. Harris had come to a predominantly white institution after four years at a historically Black university. Beyond introducing students to Socratic pedagogy, case-briefing and exam-taking, the pre-orientation also gave students of color a sense of community and a hamlet of solidarity in a cut-throat environment. 

Harris, the  daughter  of two college professors, who grew up attending private schools in Canada, was not, in the least, economically or socially disadvantaged. But there she is, claiming she was. 

At the start of the program in the early 70s, new students admitted through LEOP did not fare well. The dropout rate was high, so the school instituted a more “hands-on” routine assigning one-on-one tutors to help navigate law school for LEOP students. On paper, the program wasn’t intended for one of her social position of privilege. 

Harris was immersed in Indian culture growing up in Montreal. Her family traveled the world. Her mother was taken aback when a Head Start teacher was “shocked” that Harris wasn’t from the poor side of Oakland. Harris’s mother told him that Kamala was the daughter of privilege. Harris didn’t fit into the intended target demographic that LEOP was designed for – but she fully took advantage of her ethnic heritage. At least one side of it. Once admitted under the program Haris joined the BLSA (Black Law Students Association). Raised by her Indian mother, Harris found more currency in   being black . ..

California attorney   Laura Powell   tracked down other information about Harris while Harris was at Hastings. 

During Harris’s time at Hastings, she was, according to her resume, “president” of the BLSA and thus likely sat in judgment of who would get into Hastings via LEOP. Hasting’s dean found out that the committee that selected students was interviewing applicants. He said that he stopped the interview process because it became clear that it wasn't accepting students based on need (or in Harris’s case a lack of need), but based on political leanings. 

When he asked a selector about asking political questions He didn’t like the   answer :

One student at the meeting said “well we don’t ask those questions; we likely would get Clarence Thomases” 

That comment confirmed the Dean’s worst fears. The interview process was stopped but it was obvious that the program was left-leaning and biased.   

To get into law school, Harris was a beneficiary of a program that wasn’t intended for someone of her economic or social status. She almost certainly lied on her application or at a minimum knew that her politics would fit with the LEOP selection committee. Harris was “waved in” because of a lie or because of politics. Harris has consistently used the "system" she decries, and she gained positions that she did not deserve and did not earn. She gamed the system.

Not very “equitable” of her, it seems.

Harris reminds me of "The Jerk" and this iconic line:

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
1  seeder  Sean Treacy    3 days ago

Makes Sense. 

Tessylo
Professor Principal
1.1  Tessylo  replied to  Sean Treacy @1    3 days ago

To who?

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
2  JohnRussell    3 days ago

Its funny, in a pathetic sort of way, to watch Trump acolytes flood the zone with relative trivia about Kamala Harris .  Its the old biblical saying 

And why beholdest thou the mote that is in thy brother's eye, but considerest not the beam that is in thine own eye?

George
Junior Expert
2.1  George  replied to  JohnRussell @2    3 days ago
relative trivia about Kamala Harris .

Yeah, stealing the spot of a truly disadvantaged student is very trump like, unless you have a D after your name and then it's nothing to see here.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
2.1.1  JohnRussell  replied to  George @2.1    3 days ago

If you want to get all hot and bothered about it be my guest. 

Hallux
Professor Principal
3  Hallux    3 days ago

Harris, the   daughter   of two college professors, who grew up attending private schools in Canada

As far as I can tell Harris only attended Westmount High School (as did I) and Vanier College in Montreal, neither are private. Had she any private education the likelihood would be French oral. The 'author' is running the risk of being tagged a liar.

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
3.1  seeder  Sean Treacy  replied to  Hallux @3    3 days ago

Do you think the daughter of two college professors qualifies as disadvantaged? 

Right Down the Center
Masters Guide
3.1.1  Right Down the Center  replied to  Sean Treacy @3.1    3 days ago

Kamala played the system and now wants make it easier to give others the same "opportunity" to play the system she had.   

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
3.1.2  JohnRussell  replied to  Sean Treacy @3.1    3 days ago

There probably was a time when a story like this would be sort of important in a presidential election. 2024 is not that time. 

I didnt read a word of the article. 

People who dont care, at all, about Trump trying to steal the 2020 election, care about Harris maybe getting into a school in a shady way.   Its unbelievable. 

Hallux
Professor Principal
3.1.3  Hallux  replied to  Sean Treacy @3.1    3 days ago

I have no idea as to how much her parents earned when she was born, neither was a tenured professor at the time and tenure is where the bucks are.

Do you think the author of this screed has any redeeming features after failing so mendaciously at basic research?

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
3.1.4  JohnRussell  replied to  Hallux @3.1.3    3 days ago

The article is a hit job. I looked through it after I said I wasnt going to, and it has some of the elements of birtherism and Trump demanding to see Obama's school records. 

Tessylo
Professor Principal
3.1.5  Tessylo  replied to  JohnRussell @3.1.4    3 days ago

Exactly.  Talking about her LSATs etc. and college transcripts.

Let's see the former 'president's' moron's records from college and his SATs.

George
Junior Expert
3.1.6  George  replied to  Hallux @3.1.3    3 days ago
neither was a tenured professor at the time and tenure is where the bucks are.

She was 8 when her father got tenure, So......Not disadvantaged when Appling for Law school unless she was 7 at the time. 

As for Mom: Research Scientist Salaries in the United States for Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory | Indeed.com

I'm sure the Kids from actual under privileged families were happy to give their spot up for her. 

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
3.1.7  Vic Eldred  replied to  George @3.1.6    3 days ago

Thank you for the research.

Hallux
Professor Principal
3.1.8  Hallux  replied to  George @3.1.6    3 days ago
She was 8 when her father got tenure, So...

She was all of 5 years old when her parents divorced, so ...

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
3.1.9  Vic Eldred  replied to  Hallux @3.1.8    3 days ago

It looks like a few people failed to do the research.

Hallux
Professor Principal
3.1.10  Hallux  replied to  Vic Eldred @3.1.9    3 days ago
It looks like few people failed to do the research.

Indeed, the author and those members chasing parked cars. Do you also chase parked cars Vic?

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
3.1.11  Vic Eldred  replied to  Hallux @3.1.10    3 days ago

Never mind the author. We have extensively educated people here who didn't seem to know that one of her parents was tenured when she was 5.

George
Junior Expert
3.1.12  George  replied to  Hallux @3.1.8    3 days ago

When you apply for college both parents income are looked at divorced or not Plus she spent weekends in Palo Alto with Dad, so.......And her Mother got her PHD in 64 and was a research scientist nothing about that says under privileged.  

Hallux
Professor Principal
3.1.13  Hallux  replied to  Vic Eldred @3.1.11    3 days ago
Never mind the author.

Why, is she not responsible for what she writes? She lied about private schools that a simple Google would have corrected, not a good look for a lawyer who praises her own veracity. Try her X account and see what she is all about, an Alina Habba wannabe.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
3.1.14  JohnRussell  replied to  Hallux @3.1.13    3 days ago

I looked at Laura Powell's X account, and it reaffirmed my thoughts that this is a "birther" type hit crusade, including speculation about the home country of her mother, India, and "castes". 

I'm surprised Trump hasnt picked up on this junk yet, but he's been busy pretending to care about fast food workers. 

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
3.1.15  seeder  Sean Treacy  replied to  JohnRussell @3.1.14    3 days ago

Are children of professors economically disadvantaged? Or is it "birtherism" to ask that question?  

Her mother's income alone was likely significantly higher than the median family income at the time. How is she economically disadvantaged?  

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
3.1.16  JohnRussell  replied to  Sean Treacy @3.1.15    3 days ago
@LauraPowellEsq
·
In case you aren’t familiar with how TDS manifests in those afflicted with the condition, read this. Kamala could stand in the middle of 5th Ave and shoot somebody and wouldn’t lose any voters, to paraphrase the infamous 2016 quote from Trump. Orange man bad no ask questions!
Laura Powell is the source for part of the seeded article.  This is one of Laura Powells tweets yesterday. I looked at her page, and to say she has some sort of grudge against Harris would be an understatement. 

Tessylo
Professor Principal
3.1.17  Tessylo  replied to  Hallux @3.1.3    3 days ago
'I have no idea as to how much her parents earned when she was born, neither was a tenured professor at the time and tenure is where the bucks are.'

Neither does the author of this 'article' obviously.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
3.1.18  Tessylo  replied to  Sean Treacy @3.1.15    3 days ago

Key word 'likely' - none of us knows what their median family income was.

bugsy
Professor Participates
3.1.19  bugsy  replied to  JohnRussell @3.1.4    3 days ago
The article is a hit job.

Really no different than the articles you seed on a regular basis. 

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
3.1.20  JohnRussell  replied to  bugsy @3.1.19    3 days ago

[Deleted][]

Sparty On
Professor Principal
3.1.21  Sparty On  replied to  JohnRussell @3.1.20    3 days ago

I’m looking forward to the day when you can manage it.

[Deleted][]

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
3.1.22  JohnRussell  replied to  Sparty On @3.1.21    3 days ago

I'm looking forward to the day you make any argument at all.[]

Sparty On
Professor Principal
3.1.23  Sparty On  replied to  JohnRussell @3.1.22    3 days ago

[]

Kavika
Professor Principal
3.1.24  Kavika   replied to  Hallux @3.1.3    2 days ago

Harris parents were divorced when she was seven years old so she and her sister were raised by a single mother, not the lap of luxury I’m sure. If they were so well off why live in Oakland there are a lot more upscale cities close by.

Split Personality
Professor Guide
3.1.25  Split Personality  replied to  Sean Treacy @3.1    2 days ago

Well since the parents were divorced in 1972 when Kamala was 7 years old,

after which they had separate households and pursued different career paths in different cities,

how did you determine that they were "advantaged"?

George
Junior Expert
3.2  George  replied to  Hallux @3    3 days ago
As far as I can tell Harris only attended Westmount High School

Let me help with that, Harris attended a French-speaking primary school,  Notre-Dame-des-Neiges , [ 34 ]  then  F.A.C.E. School , [ 35 ]  and finally  Westmount High School [ b ]  in  Westmount, Quebec

Early life and career of Kamala Harris - Wikipedia

Hallux
Professor Principal
3.2.1  Hallux  replied to  George @3.2    3 days ago

Wonderful, now pickout the private schools. Notre-Dame-des Neiges is a public french school and F.A.C.E (Fine Arts Core Education) taught elementary through grade 8 is run by both the public english and french school boards.

You should work with the author, she is in desperate need of an editor.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
5  JohnRussell    3 days ago

The one on the right is Kamala Harris childhood home.  It doesnt look like a house of "privilege" to me, but maybe the inside was super nice. 

Kamala-Harris-Berkeley-childhood-house.jpg

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
5.1  seeder  Sean Treacy  replied to  JohnRussell @5    3 days ago

She took advantage of a program for economically disadvantaged people..

Do you think those programs are set up to help the children of professionals, or those who literally,  barely scrape by?

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
5.1.1  JohnRussell  replied to  Sean Treacy @5.1    3 days ago

Did Trump get into the U. of Penn. on  merit?   He claims he graduated with honors and there is no record of that whatsoever. 

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
5.1.2  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  JohnRussell @5.1.1    3 days ago

Deflection alert

Tessylo
Professor Principal
5.1.3  Tessylo  replied to  JohnRussell @5.1.1    3 days ago

Must have been a legacy or something.  It couldn't have been based on his grades.  

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
5.1.4  JohnRussell  replied to  Tessylo @5.1.3    3 days ago

Trump's older brother was friends with someone in the admissions department. 

Tessylo
Professor Principal
5.1.5  Tessylo  replied to  JohnRussell @5.1.4    3 days ago

That's how..Only possible way

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
5.1.6  Vic Eldred  replied to  JohnRussell @5.1.4    3 days ago

So, it wasn't based on race/gender.

Got it.

bugsy
Professor Participates
5.1.7  bugsy  replied to  Vic Eldred @5.1.6    3 days ago

[]

Tessylo
Professor Principal
5.1.8  Tessylo  replied to  bugsy @5.1.7    3 days ago

who did trump sleep with?

bugsy
Professor Participates
5.1.9  bugsy  replied to  Tessylo @5.1.8    3 days ago

Now you're getting it.

Hallux
Professor Principal
5.1.10  Hallux  replied to  bugsy @5.1.7    3 days ago
Or had to sleep with someone with pull to get a career jump started.

History is full of men and women who did the same, so effing what? Jump starting one's adolescent prejudices this late in life indicates one has not gotten over them.

Split Personality
Professor Guide
5.2  Split Personality  replied to  JohnRussell @5    2 days ago

Didn't someone else live downstairs who watched the girls when the mother was working?

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
6  Vic Eldred    3 days ago

It just goes on and on, doesn't it?

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
6.1  JohnRussell  replied to  Vic Eldred @6    3 days ago

Right wing MAGA bullshit?  Yes it does. 

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
6.2  JohnRussell  replied to  Vic Eldred @6    3 days ago

The article implies that Harris is not that intelligent.  Do you agree she is at least as intelligent as Trump?   And if you dont, what is your basis? 

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
6.2.1  JohnRussell  replied to  JohnRussell @6.2    3 days ago

Did one of his Wharton professors repeatedly tell friends and associates that Donald Trump “was the dumbest goddamn student I ever had”?

It’s rare for a professor to disparage the intelligence of a student, but according to attorney Frank DiPrima, who was close friends with professor William T. Kelley for 47 years, the prof made an exception for Donald Trump, at least in private. “He must have told me that 100 times over the course of 30 years,” says DiPrima, who has been practicing law since 1963 and has served as in-house counsel for entities including the Federal Trade Commission and Playboy Enterprises. “I remember the inflection of his voice when he said it: Donald Trump was the  dumbest goddamn  student I  ever  had!’”  He would say that [Trump] came to Wharton thinking he already knew everything, that he was arrogant and he wasn’t there to learn.” Kelley, who passed away in 2011 at age 94, taught marketing at Wharton for 31 years, retiring in 1982.

Donald Trump at Wharton: Fact Checking the President’s Time at Penn (phillymag.com)

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
6.2.2  Vic Eldred  replied to  JohnRussell @6.2    3 days ago
The article implies that Harris is not that intelligent.

Why would somebody simply voting against Donald Trump care?

Tessylo
Professor Principal
6.2.3  Tessylo  replied to  JohnRussell @6.2.1    3 days ago

That's how the former 'president' moron feels about everything - you cannot tell him anything.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
6.2.4  JohnRussell  replied to  Vic Eldred @6.2.2    3 days ago

Just off of observing them, I would say Harris has above average intelligence and Trump is of average intelligence. If you want to be picky about it many of Trump's blatherings makes one suspect a below average intelligence there. 

Tessylo
Professor Principal
6.2.5  Tessylo  replied to  JohnRussell @6.2.4    3 days ago

The former 'president' I judge to have below average intelligence, among the uneducable mentally retarded - no offense to the truly mentally challenged through no fault of their own

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
6.2.6  Vic Eldred  replied to  JohnRussell @6.2.4    3 days ago

I think many would disagree.

Maybe that is why with only 2 weeks to go Kamala is out doing things she might never do with a lead and the former President is having a good time campaigning.

Funny how it turned out. It is Trump with all the joy and Kamala appealing to hate.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
6.2.7  Tessylo  replied to  Vic Eldred @6.2.6    3 days ago
'Funny how it turned out. It is Trump with all the joy and Kamala appealing to hate.'

jrSmiley_10_smiley_image.gif

Hallux
Professor Principal
6.2.8  Hallux  replied to  Tessylo @6.2.7    3 days ago

No kidding!

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
6.2.9  JohnRussell  replied to  Tessylo @6.2.7    3 days ago

MAGA's have a weird and alarming definition of "joy". 

Sparty On
Professor Principal
6.2.10  Sparty On  replied to  JohnRussell @6.2.9    3 days ago

[]

Hallux
Professor Principal
6.2.11  Hallux  replied to  Sparty On @6.2.10    3 days ago
squirm and shimmy around the truth.

Something the author of this screed more than dabbles in.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
6.2.12  Sparty On  replied to  Hallux @6.2.11    3 days ago

Nah, it hits the mark where it counts.    Her exaggerations/lies.    Only fools and partisans buy that nonsense but by all means.

Enjoy!

Hallux
Professor Principal
6.2.13  Hallux  replied to  Sparty On @6.2.12    3 days ago
Nah, it hits the mark where it counts.

Could you turn around so I can take some pics?

Sparty On
Professor Principal
6.2.14  Sparty On  replied to  Hallux @6.2.13    3 days ago

Just bend over, head between your knees and take your own.

Buh bye now …..

1stwarrior
Professor Participates
6.2.15  1stwarrior  replied to  JohnRussell @6.2.9    2 days ago

Really?  And just what is a MAGA John??

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
6.2.16  JohnRussell  replied to  1stwarrior @6.2.15    2 days ago

we are in the final countdown and i'm done with you

Sparty On
Professor Principal
6.2.17  Sparty On  replied to  JohnRussell @6.2.16    2 days ago

Hallux
Professor Principal
6.3  Hallux  replied to  Vic Eldred @6    3 days ago
It just goes on and on, doesn't it?

You do appear to enjoy the lies.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
6.3.1  Tessylo  replied to  Hallux @6.3    3 days ago

Sparty On
Professor Principal
6.4  Sparty On  replied to  Vic Eldred @6    3 days ago

It started in earnest after Trump beat their chosen one in 2016.    Now that their next chosen one (an unelected chosen one this time around) has been coronated they must ramp up the anti Trump rhetoric.    

They’ve got no COVID this time so it’s all they got.

Hallux
Professor Principal
6.4.1  Hallux  replied to  Sparty On @6.4    3 days ago
They’ve got no COVID this time so it’s all they got.

What do you guys have, Arnold Palmer's big dick?

George
Junior Expert
6.4.2  George  replied to  Sparty On @6.4    3 days ago

An in a nationwide popularity contest they may have found the only person in the democrat party less likable than Hillary, which is saying alot.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
6.4.3  Sparty On  replied to  George @6.4.2    3 days ago

I know.    The really funny part is they all knew her.    She’s been around in politics for a long time.

Train wreck doesn’t even begin to explain that decision.

George
Junior Expert
6.4.4  George  replied to  Sparty On @6.4.3    3 days ago

The Betting line is trump 60%, Only one reason for that, Kamala is that bad of a choice.

Hallux
Professor Principal
6.4.5  Hallux  replied to  Sparty On @6.4    3 days ago
It started in earnest after Trump beat their chosen one in 2016.

I don't recall the exact date but it was well before 2020.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
6.4.6  Sparty On  replied to  Hallux @6.4.5    2 days ago

[Deleted]

Tacos!
Professor Guide
7  Tacos!    3 days ago

Sigh. Here we have a story about law school about to be read by a bunch of people who don’t know shit about law school, and apparently written by a guy who doesn’t know shit about law school either (according to his LinkedIn page, his education is limited to a BA in political science.)

Hastings is considered a good law school but not “elite." It ranks   80th  of America’s ABA schools. 

Let’s get this out of the way. Law school rankings are mostly bullshit. The most commonly sighted - and hated - rankings are from US News & World Report. Rankings are not only based upon arbitrary criteria, they are largely irrelevant for most law students. If anyone actually cares why all of this is true, I can go into it, but that feels like a pretty deep rabbit hole. Try to take my word for it.

Additionally, even if you do care about rankings, they fluctuate a lot and in the 80s (when Harris attended) and 90s, Hastings was ranked much higher - even made Top 20 for a while. What they are ranked in 2024 doesn’t say anything about the school when Harris was there. But it’s inclusion here does say something about the level of journalism in this article.

That means Hasting is a “backup” law school for a lot of the applicants.   

It’s actually one of the most important law schools in California, especially if you want to practice in Central or Northern California.

she fudged her application

Meaning she put something false on her application? That’s a hell of an accusation. Got any proof? I won’t hold my breath.

Harris, the  daughter  of two college professors, who grew up attending private schools in Canada, was not, in the least, economically or socially disadvantaged.

A lot of socially and/or economically disadvantaged kids attend private school - very often on some kind of scholarship because they can’t afford the full tuition.

I have two general thoughts on this story:

#1 : Even if everything here is true - and there’s no proof that any of it is true - she still had to graduate from law school. Law school exams are graded blind and students earn their grades based on a curve. So any advantage she had getting into school had zero impact on her grades. That also means even if you answered a substantial portion of a class exam successfully, it could still be a failing grade, if you get the lowest score. You don’t graduate unless you’re actually competitive. She clearly did graduate. She clearly passed the bar - arguably the hardest bar exam in the country. You may not like how she got her opportunities, but at least she did something with them.

#2 : Your alternative is Trump and this is the shit you’re worried about? Wake up!

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
7.1  JohnRussell  replied to  Tacos! @7    3 days ago
Wake up!

They dont like woke. 

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
7.2  seeder  Sean Treacy  replied to  Tacos! @7    3 days ago
, they fluctuate a lot and in the 80s (when Harris attended) and 90s, they were ranked much higher

US News & World Report did not rank her school when she attended.

actually one of the most important law schools in California, 

So?  There's less than 200 law schools in the country. All of them are important in their states. 

t of socially and/or economically disadvantaged kids attend priva

Children of professors aren't economically disadvantaged.  A child of a single mother who works a minimum wage job is. 

Tacos!
Professor Guide
7.2.1  Tacos!  replied to  Sean Treacy @7.2    3 days ago
Children of professors aren't economically disadvantaged.  A child of a single mother who works a minimum wage job is. 

Since you don’t have firsthand knowledge about her social or economic life growing up, I don’t think you’re in a position to judge.

Tacos!
Professor Guide
7.2.2  Tacos!  replied to  Sean Treacy @7.2    3 days ago
US News & World Report did not rank her school when she attended.

You have records going back that far?

Really, the school’s ranking while she was attending would be less relevant than its score in the years following her graduation, because student outcomes might be factored into the rankings. I did find this report , which shows that by 1994, Hastings was ranked 20th in the nation - again, if you think that matters for something. 

Just to give an example of how pointless these rankings can be, there is this source of the Top 20 from 1987:

What the U.S. News Law School Rankings Looked Like in 1987

Check out how they were ranked:

In 1987, the methodology included just one metric—the percentage of law school deans who ranked the school, in their subjective estimation, as a "top 10 law school."

That’s a terrible methodology.

Why do you care what her law school is ranked, whether it is an old ranking or a new one?

Split Personality
Professor Guide
7.2.3  Split Personality  replied to  Tacos! @7.2.2    2 days ago

Jealousy?

George
Junior Expert
7.3  George  replied to  Tacos! @7    3 days ago
It’s actually one of the most important law schools in California, especially if you want to practice in Central or Northern California.

That is bullshit, In the land of Stanford, Berkley, Davis and Cal. Hasting isn't even an honorable mention. 

Tacos!
Professor Guide
7.3.1  Tacos!  replied to  George @7.3    3 days ago

As I alluded, schools get their rankings for some pretty dumb reasons. There’s a lot of chicken vs egg debate that can be had with regard to these rankings. Graduates often use those rankings to get high paying corporate law jobs. The rankings help them compete for jobs nationally or get federal law clerk jobs. Not everybody goes to law school for those reasons, but those outcomes often heavily influence the rankings.

It is a fact that if you want to work in Sacramento or San Francisco - especially in a DA’s office - Hastings is a great choice. In fact, it may even be a better choice than Stanford or Berkeley. Very often, law schools that aren’t living forever in the Top 14, employ local attorneys and judges to teach classes. It’s a key networking opportunity. It can also affect what classes are available and how they are taught. I got important insights into how our local courts function because a local judge taught a class. I’m also pretty friendly with that judge now. That might not have happened if I had gone to a higher ranked school.

I’m not here to dis Stanford. It’s a fine school. But once you get out of the Top 14, law school choice becomes very regional and very personal.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
7.3.2  Sparty On  replied to  Tacos! @7.3.1    3 days ago

The reality is, the school matters much less than the individual.

bugsy
Professor Participates
7.3.3  bugsy  replied to  Sparty On @7.3.2    3 days ago

Well, actually the only ones that matter is those that donate the most.....foreign or domestic.