╌>

Opinion: Trump boasts he'll get 'better ratings' than grieving family

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  tacos  •  yesterday  •  20 comments

By:   Rex Huppke (USA TODAY)

Opinion: Trump boasts he'll get 'better ratings' than grieving family
At a Fox News town hall focused on women's issues, Donald Trump treated Amber Thurman's death and her family's grief like a laugh line.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

I've seen plenty of vile things happen during political campaigns, but this was several steps beyond twisted. Who weighs the words of a grieving family or the weight of their grief on a ratings scale?

78e723d2-1eb6-4b88-bc4f-eada14191c8c-XXX_sdNews-_Rex_Huppke_portrait__3693.JPG?crop=1199,1199,x243,y60&width=48&height=48&format=pjpg&auto=webp Rex HuppkeUSA TODAY

Correction & clarification: A prior version of this column misspelled the name of Fox News host Harris Faulkner.

The death of Amber Thurman, a 28-year-old mother, has been linked directly to Georgia's draconian abortion ban, a ban that exists because Donald Trump proudly oversaw the end of Roe. v. Wade during his presidency.

At a Fox News town hall focused on women's issues - taped Tuesday in Atlanta and broadcast Wednesday - Trump, the network host and the town hall attendees treated Thurman's death and her family's grief like a laugh line.

Noting that Thurman's family held a press call hosted by Democratic presidential candidate Kamala Harris' campaign before the Fox News event, host Harris Faulkner, with snark in her voice, said to Trump: "Amber Thurman's family have come out on a press call, and they're doing what's called a prebuttal to our town hall right now."

"Oh, that's nice," Trump said, dismissively, as the crowd chuckled.

Then he said: "We'll get better ratings, I promise." And Faulkner and the crowd erupted in laughter.

Trump delivers one of the most vile moments of his campaign

I've seen plenty of vile things happen during political campaigns, but this was several steps beyond twisted.

Who weighs the words of a grieving family or the weight of their grief on a ratings scale? Who laughs at a family speaking out about the death of their loved one?

It's part and parcel of the darkness and cruelty Trump's campaign has leaned into in these final weeks of the presidential race.

Opinion: Trump concocts a racist, dystopian version of America only he can save us from

Amber Thurman's tragic death was deemed 'preventable'

During Tuesday's press call, Thurman's mother, Shanette Williams, said: "Amber was not a statistic. She was loved by a family."

Thurman died in 2022. Georgia's abortion ban had forced her to travel to North Carolina for reproductive health services because she was just past Georgia's six-week ban on abortions.

Thurman was given abortion pills, but developed a rare complication after she had returned to Georgia.

Opinion: Melania Trump says she supports abortion rights. Don't forget what her husband did.

According to a ProPublica report: "She showed up at Piedmont Henry Hospital in need of a routine procedure to clear (fetal tissue) from her uterus, called a dilation and curettage, or D&C. But just that summer, her state had made performing the procedure a felony, with few exceptions. Any doctor who violated the new Georgia law could be prosecuted and face up to a decade in prison. Thurman waited in pain in a hospital bed ... as doctors monitored her infection spreading, her blood pressure sinking and her organs beginning to fail. It took 20 hours for doctors to finally operate. By then, it was too late."

ProPublica reported that Georgia's maternal mortality review committee found Thurman's death was "preventable" and said the hospital's delay - due to the state's abortion law - "had a large impact on her fatal outcome."

Donald Trump easily laughs at a tragedy - remember that

There's nothing funny about any of that. It's a tragedy. But Trump, Faulkner and many in the all-female crowd at the town hall got a good chuckle out of Trump's dismissive attitude and his "we'll get better ratings" joke.

I hope voters are paying attention to these random acts of casual cruelty coming from Trump and the people around him. They're the kind of things that rob us of our humanity.

They're the kind of things voters should reject, thunderously.

Follow USA TODAY columnist Rex Huppke on X, formerly Twitter, @RexHuppke and Facebook facebook.com/RexIsAJerk

Featured Weekly Ad

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Tacos!
Professor Guide
1  seeder  Tacos!    yesterday
We'll get better ratings, I promise." And Faulkner and the crowd erupted in laughter.

He’s a piece of shit, and so is everyone else who thinks a dead woman is funny.

According to a ProPublica report: "She showed up at Piedmont Henry Hospital in need of a routine procedure to clear (fetal tissue) from her uterus, called a dilation and curettage, or D&C. But just that summer, her state had made performing the procedure a felony, with few exceptions. Any doctor who violated the new Georgia law could be prosecuted and face up to a decade in prison. Thurman waited in pain in a hospital bed ... as doctors monitored her infection spreading, her blood pressure sinking and her organs beginning to fail. It took 20 hours for doctors to finally operate. By then, it was too late." ProPublica reported that Georgia's maternal mortality review committee found Thurman's death was "preventable" and said the hospital's delay - due to the state's abortion law - "had a large impact on her fatal outcome."

Krishna
Professor Expert
1.1  Krishna  replied to  Tacos! @1    yesterday
He’s a piece of shit,

But his fans adore him!

Tessylo
Professor Principal
2  Tessylo    yesterday

Noting that Thurman's family held a press call hosted by Democratic presidential candidate Kamala Harris' campaign before the Fox News event, host Harris Faulkner, with snark in her voice, said to Trump: "Amber Thurman's family have come out on a press call, and they're doing what's called a prebuttal to our town hall right now."

"Oh, that's nice," Trump said, dismissively, as the crowd chuckled.

Then he said: "We'll get better ratings, I promise." And Faulkner and the crowd erupted in laughter.

Hateful evil scum

Thomas
Masters Guide
2.1  Thomas  replied to  Tessylo @2    yesterday

Well I didn't see it.....

Tessylo
Professor Principal
2.1.1  Tessylo  replied to  Thomas @2.1    21 hours ago

Didn't see what?

Thomas
Masters Guide
2.1.2  Thomas  replied to  Tessylo @2.1.1    19 hours ago

What were we talking about...?

jrSmiley_9_smiley_image.gif

devangelical
Professor Principal
2.2  devangelical  replied to  Tessylo @2    21 hours ago

I'm still very hopeful that trump will have one of the most viewed youtube videos in the future ...

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
3  JohnRussell    yesterday
Then he said: "We'll get better ratings, I promise."

This is vaguely reminiscent of when Trump told a tv station on Sep 11th  2001 that now he owned the tallest building in lower Manhattan. 

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
4  JohnRussell    yesterday
the psychotic Tucker Carlson goes off on an unhinged rant , at a Trump rally in Georgia, about the necessity for fathers to spank their teenage daughters, and when I say rant I am not exaggerating.  

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
4.1  JohnRussell  replied to  JohnRussell @4    yesterday

riddle : what kind of madman rants in public about spanking a 15 year old girl ?

answer : a featured speaker at a trump rally

Tessylo
Professor Principal
4.2  Tessylo  replied to  JohnRussell @4    21 hours ago

Does he have any teenage daughters?  A confession?

Does he have a 15 year old daughter?

Sounds like he does another form of spanking after spanking a young girl............

Thomas
Masters Guide
4.2.1  Thomas  replied to  Tessylo @4.2    19 hours ago

Probably concurrently

devangelical
Professor Principal
4.2.2  devangelical  replied to  Tessylo @4.2    18 hours ago
Does he have any teenage daughters?  A confession?

I believe tucker has 4 sons... ... that have probably never exhibited any audible flatulence in their lives ...

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
4.2.3  Trout Giggles  replied to  Thomas @4.2.1    18 hours ago

Sound like that could be difficult

devangelical
Professor Principal
4.2.4  devangelical  replied to  Trout Giggles @4.2.3    18 hours ago

all things are possible when doing their lord's work ....

Kavika
Professor Principal
5  Kavika     yesterday

The comments made by Trump and Fox are not a surprise, they have no moral compass at all.

Thomas
Masters Guide
5.1  Thomas  replied to  Kavika @5    yesterday

Yes, they do! They have Donald Trump! ... uuuh... OK

Tacos!
Professor Guide
5.2  seeder  Tacos!  replied to  Kavika @5    yesterday

Cruelty is their brand.

Gsquared
Professor Principal
6  Gsquared    yesterday

Trump is a low-life scumbag.  Just when you think he can't get any lower, he does.  And his cult followers aren't any better.

devangelical
Professor Principal
6.1  devangelical  replied to  Gsquared @6    18 hours ago
And his cult followers aren't any better.

it's definitely a wake up call for public education in some red states ...