MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka)

What are some of your favorite smells? Guess we could include sounds too...

By:  MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka)  •  Personal  •  4 weeks ago  •  103 comments

What are some of your favorite smells? Guess we could include sounds too...
Scents evoke very, very powerful memories, whether it's the scent of someone that you know and someone that you love, or if it's a meal that your mother made. Blake Lively

There's a lot of scents that I love; all for different reasons. The smell of tar on a spring morning reminds me of the home I lived in until the age of 8. The city would spray tar on the gravel road in front of my house every spring to help keep the dust down and gravel in place. The smell of a rain storm coming. The smell of Turbo Blue fuel being burned in a hot rod. The smell of Georgio Armani Acqua Di Gio. Fresh clean laundry... fresh cut grass... sage, cedar, bergamot, patchouli (when mixed with much lighter and more citrus-like scents), sea salt in the air, fresh baked molasses cookies...

I could go on for miles with some of the scents I love. Many will trigger a memory. Some of those smells [along with the memory] makes me cry.

My favorite time of year is right about now and mid-May in Michigan. The smells and sounds, the perfect weather - still warm during the day and cool nights that are perfect for sleeping with all the windows open. The cicadas and crickets... although, I wish we had some frogs around too; you'd think being only about a dozen blocks from the Detroit River, we'd have some frogs, but we don't. The fall colors just beginning to peek from the maples. The smell of a campfire on a cool Friday evening and the sound of my kids talking about some random thing that popped into their heads or what they'd seen on Instagram, FB, TikTok, whatever earlier and laughing.

What smells and or sounds are your favorite?

**No politics, no riots, no murder discussions. There's no reason this should turn into any of those things!

1  author  MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka)    4 weeks ago

Smells, sights, sounds... go!

igknorantzrulz
1.1  igknorantzrulz  replied to  MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka) @1    4 weeks ago

Smells, sights, sounds... go!

BBQ, BEER, BUD, Certain Scents, that make none

Certain Pictures, Piles of CASH, Big Hunk of HASH, Brown or Blackened also fits into Smell favorites, like Suszy, at the C Sure

LOUD Rock Music, the woods at night on my quad, my local Waterfall, Freight Trains, that derail my trane of thought

MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka)
1.1.1  author  MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka)  replied to  igknorantzrulz @1.1    4 weeks ago
the woods at night on my quad

That's pretty awesome too. The UP of MI is one of my favorite places for that woodsy smell.

Ozzwald
1.2  Ozzwald  replied to  MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka) @1    3 weeks ago
Smells, sights, sounds... go!

SMELLS

Frying bacon

Garlic

Cinnamon

Cooking onions (yeah, I know, weird)

SOUNDS

Rumble of thunder

SIGHTS

images?q=tbn%3AANd9GcSj6ue1BWE4-JAoJLQR7iPAqJqQBQuiAGv2cw&usqp=CAU

1.2.1  author  MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka)  replied to  Ozzwald @1.2    3 weeks ago

A lot of people like the smell of cooking onions, they just might not know it.

GregTx
2  GregTx    4 weeks ago

The smell of virtually anything that has cinnamon in it being baked. The lopsided tongue hanging out the side of their mouth grins that my dogs give me after a good run. The sound of waves lapping at the shore or a good thunderstorm.

2.1  author  MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka)  replied to  GregTx @2    4 weeks ago

Yeah, I always love me a good thunderstorm. Unfortunately, my cat has other opinions of thunderstorms. My dog doesn't care either way.

3  Paula Bartholomew    4 weeks ago

Smell - lavender

Sight - Sunsets

Sound - Cats purring

MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka)
3.1  author  MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka)  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @3    4 weeks ago

My husband and I went to St. Croix for our honeymoon and got to watch the sunset while eating our dinner on the beach. It's something that I'll never forget. I'm so glad I surprised him with a Caribbean honeymoon. jrSmiley_100_smiley_image.jpg

Kathleen
4  Kathleen    4 weeks ago

I like these smells, lemons, a smoking barbecue, steamed crabs, roses, something good cooking and baking, the smell of pines in a forest, bacon and coffee in the morning.... I may have more later, that’s all I can think of now.

Sounds, a harp and pipe organ, hog horn, grandfather clock, thunder, rain, wind, birds, ocean, helicopters.... I will think of some more later.

Sights, the sky, outdoor scenery.

4.1  author  MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka)  replied to  Kathleen @4    4 weeks ago

I love a grandfather clock too. My husband hates it... when he's trying to sleep. I sleep through everything.

Kathleen
4.1.1  Kathleen  replied to  MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka) @4.1    4 weeks ago

The Westminster chime. That’s good! You can sleep nice and sound. : )

MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka)
4.1.2  author  MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka)  replied to  Kathleen @4.1.1    4 weeks ago

Except it's a curse too... Hypersomnia isn't something that I would wish on anyone and I've lived with it my entire life.

Kathleen
4.1.3  Kathleen  replied to  MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka) @4.1.2    4 weeks ago

This is a strange one, but I like the smell of gasoline.

GregTx
4.1.4  GregTx  replied to  Kathleen @4.1.3    4 weeks ago

Same here...also the sound of the low steady lope of a big block Chevy.😉

MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka)
4.1.5  author  MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka)  replied to  Kathleen @4.1.3    4 weeks ago

Not that strange. I know a lot of people that like the smell of gasoline. I just prefer that "leaded" (it's actually lead substitute) of turbo blue while it's burning in a car.

4.1.6  author  MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka)  replied to  GregTx @4.1.4    4 weeks ago

Oh... I was so excited yesterday... I got to drive my Firebird around the block yesterday. It needs an alignment now, but I need to pay some bills before I get that done. I don't have too big of a cam, but it's still got a rumble. It's got an Olds 455, bored .30 over with a mild cam and 3" exhaust from the collectors back. The headers had to be a custom fit... good thing knowing welders.

Gsquared
4.2  Gsquared  replied to  Kathleen @4    4 weeks ago

Everything on your list is great, except helicopters.  Our house seems like it's on a helicopter flight path sometimes and you can't even hear yourself think!

Sunshine
5  Sunshine    4 weeks ago

I like the smell of a campfire or a fireplace burning and fresh cut grass.

5.1  author  MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka)  replied to  Sunshine @5    4 weeks ago

Not sure where you live Sunshine, but in January in MI, when someone has their fireplace going, it's a very distinct smell. I love that too, but I could do without the 6+ months of cold and snow!!!

Sunshine
5.1.1  Sunshine  replied to  MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka) @5.1    4 weeks ago

I am a Michigander too.  There are a few us around here.

Yes the winters get longer as I get older.  jrSmiley_4_smiley_image.png

MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka)
5.1.2  author  MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka)  replied to  Sunshine @5.1.1    4 weeks ago

Ah ha! I'm just south of Detroit.

TTGA
5.1.3  TTGA  replied to  MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka) @5.1.2    4 weeks ago

Between Lansing and Grand Rapids here.  When I was a little kid, we still had coal fired locomotives.  Always liked that smell.  Where we live now, we have a steam and gas club (old steam powered tractors and harvesters).  Every week or so they fire them up.  Both the smoke and the old steam whistles make me think of the earlier time.  Besides the new cut grass smell, I also like the smell of baking bread.  That's what a home is supposed to smell like.

5.1.4  author  MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka)  replied to  TTGA @5.1.3    4 weeks ago

I know roughly where you live TTGA. jrSmiley_82_smiley_image.gif

When I go to Henry Ford Museum, the smell of that train is pretty awesome.

JohnRussell
6  JohnRussell    4 weeks ago

peppermint, pumpkin, i like the smell of bleach, pine.

thunder, church bells

6.1  author  MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka)  replied to  JohnRussell @6    4 weeks ago

You like CLEAN smell then. You and my mother would get along famously.

There's a church about a block from my house and at 6am and 6pm every day, those church bells go off. On Saturdays they often go off for a wedding or a Baptism and of course Sunday and Wednesday mass. That was the church that we had my grandmother's funeral mass. We're all a bunch of lapsed Catholics or non-religious at all, but it was for her and it was the most beautiful church I've ever seen.

JaneDoe
6.2  JaneDoe  replied to  JohnRussell @6    4 weeks ago

I do a lot of cleaning with bleach. I like the smell too.

7  Trout Giggles    4 weeks ago

Don't laugh but I like the smell of skunk as it's fading. Not that first pungent blast, but a few days after the skunk has exploded his stink bomb.

I like the sound of trains

7.1  author  MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka)  replied to  Trout Giggles @7    4 weeks ago

I like skunk smell too. But nowadays, it's often difficult to determine if it's actually a skunk or the "Mary Jane"

Veronica
8  Veronica    4 weeks ago

Nobody laugh but the smell of Patchouli reminds me of a dear friend I have not seen in years. And I love the smell of Autumn - not sure what it is exactly but I love it.

Autumn leaves for sights.  They are just so beautiful.

The sound of a saxophone gets my motor running. VROOM VROOM....

8.1  author  MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka)  replied to  Veronica @8    4 weeks ago

Patchouli reminds me of a friend of mine too; she wears it often.

MonsterMash
9  MonsterMash    4 weeks ago

Homemade bread baking in the oven.

Gsquared
10  Gsquared    4 weeks ago

Favorite smell:  The air.  After it rains.

Favorite sound:  When I hear my wife laughing or singing to herself.

Tessylo
10.1  Tessylo  replied to  Gsquared @10    4 weeks ago
"Favorite sound:  When I hear my wife laughing or singing to herself."

That's so dear!

Jasper2529
11  Jasper2529    4 weeks ago

MsAubrey - Thank you for posting such a great article!

The smell of tar

OK, I'll confess that I like the smell of diesel fuel!

One of my favorite memories of smells from childhood was burning leaves in autumn. We'd sit on the ground at a safe distance savoring Milky Way bars that Mom gave us. We can't burn leaves anymore, so my replacement is burning logs in my fireplace in autumn and winter. Other favorites are cinnamon, pine, vanilla, and my wife's favorite perfumes - Caleche and Arpege.

Sights: sunrises/sunsets on a beach, watching shooting stars on a clear night from my porch.

Sounds: waves gently lapping onto the shore, babies' and little children's laughter

11.1  author  MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka)  replied to  Jasper2529 @11    4 weeks ago
OK, I'll confess that I like the smell of diesel fuel!

Can't say the same, but maybe it's because I've taken a diesel "shower" if you will. Farm diesel at that. I like that rattle sound of a diesel though.

Freefaller
12  Freefaller    4 weeks ago

Hmmm best smells, vanilla tops the list but gotta admit it's followed closely by baking bread, grilling burgers and wood fires (unless it's a whole forest fire, that gets to be a little chokie)

MonsterMash
12.1  MonsterMash  replied to  Freefaller @12    4 weeks ago
Hmmm best smells, vanilla tops the list

I love the smell of vanilla extract

Snuffy
13  Snuffy    4 weeks ago

ahh,  smells.  There are so many.  Smells are so deeply tied to memory.

Fresh cut alfalfa (better than fresh cut grass IMO)
Fresh cut hard woods  (cherry and maple are my favorites)
The smell both right before and the clean right after a big rain/thunder storm
Spring mornings
Fall as the leaves are turning
Melting chocolate
Coffee Brewing
A freshly washed baby
Fresh baked bread
A hard wood fire (and anything I am cooking in my smoker)

There are so many more smells that I love but time is short.

JaneDoe
13.1  JaneDoe  replied to  Snuffy @13    4 weeks ago

That first cup of coffee in the morning is a great scent!

13.2  author  MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka)  replied to  Snuffy @13    4 weeks ago
Smells are so deeply tied to memory.

Yes they are.

I loved the smell of the apple wood from my apple trees. We had to cut them down, because they were right next to our driveway and not only were they at the end of their lifespan as far as apple trees go, we had apples dropping on our cars all the time and bees constantly all over the place. I figured that the purple robe locust tree would be enough for the bees even if we got rid of the apple trees. I loved the smell of the cut wood and the burning of that wood!

13.3  author  MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka)  replied to  Snuffy @13    4 weeks ago

Oh and I don't live anywhere near alfalfa, so I wouldn't know that scent.

JaneDoe
14  JaneDoe    4 weeks ago

This is a great article MsAubrey!

Cinnamon, carnations, bread baking, ivory soap, spaghetti sauce cooking, garlic, morning glories. A perfume my grandma used to use, I think it was called Moonwind from Avon. Too many to list.

I think my favorite sound would be rain on a metal roof... so relaxing

JaneDoe
14.1  JaneDoe  replied to  JaneDoe @14    4 weeks ago

I almost forgot, sheets that hung out In the sun to dry. Always good for a great nights sleep!

GregTx
14.1.1  GregTx  replied to  JaneDoe @14.1    4 weeks ago

You can't duplicate that smell or feel with anything else.

JaneDoe
14.1.2  JaneDoe  replied to  GregTx @14.1.1    4 weeks ago

No you can’t. It’s wonderful. Something most kids today have never had the pleasure of experiencing.

MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka)
14.1.3  author  MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka)  replied to  GregTx @14.1.1    4 weeks ago
You can't duplicate that smell or feel with anything else.

Especially when it's REAL linen!

Kathleen
14.2  Kathleen  replied to  JaneDoe @14    4 weeks ago

I use ivory soap...

JaneDoe
14.2.1  JaneDoe  replied to  Kathleen @14.2    4 weeks ago

Me too. It’s the best.

Kathleen
14.2.2  Kathleen  replied to  JaneDoe @14.2.1    4 weeks ago

It is, its good old fashion soap.

MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka)
14.2.3  author  MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka)  replied to  Kathleen @14.2.2    4 weeks ago

Did you know that you can melt the Ivory soap down, add water (recipe is online as to how much), Borax, and Washing Soda and use it for laundry soap... an inexpensive one at that!

1. Grate the Ivory soap and add to a large pot with 4 cups hot water. ...
  2. Pour this hot mixture to a 5 gallon bucket.
  3. Add Borax and washing soda, and stir until powders have completely dissolved.
  4. Fill the bucket to the 5 gallon mark with tap water.
  5. Cover, and let sit for 12 hours (it may thicken during this time).

Washing soda should be down the laundry aisle right by the Borax. I've used my double boiler to liquefy the Ivory and then mix it in water. It comes out smoother that way.

JaneDoe
14.2.4  JaneDoe  replied to  MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka) @14.2.3    4 weeks ago

That’s interesting. I use borax in my laundry sometimes.

Kathleen
14.2.5  Kathleen  replied to  MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka) @14.2.3    4 weeks ago

No I didn’t...

Thank you, that is nice to know.

MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka)
14.2.6  author  MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka)  replied to  JaneDoe @14.2.4    4 weeks ago

Me too.

I've even done the shavings of Ivory or Coast with mixing the washing soda and Borax and leaving it as a powder laundry soap. However, the Coast is better as liquid, because it's a softer soap and sometimes will partly melt into clothes without completely dissolving. Ivory is a harder soap and dissolves easier as a powder / shaving.

MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka)
14.2.7  author  MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka)  replied to  MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka) @14.2.3    4 weeks ago

Oh... AND washing soda is fantastic for cleaning without chemicals. jrSmiley_82_smiley_image.gif It's just sodium carbonate. Baking soda is sodium BIcarbonate.

JaneDoe
14.2.8  JaneDoe  replied to  MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka) @14.2.6    4 weeks ago

I am going to have to give that a try.

Kathleen
14.2.9  Kathleen  replied to  JaneDoe @14.2.8    4 weeks ago

Me too!

Texan1211
15  Texan1211    4 weeks ago

Brisket in the smoker. With mesquite wood chips.

15.1  author  MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka)  replied to  Texan1211 @15    4 weeks ago

MMMM... that's making me hungry!

16  Buzz of the Orient    4 weeks ago

I could spend all day filling pages with examples of those favourite memories, but I'll name just one for each sense, all of which I know I'll never experience again:.

For sound - way back in the days of steam trains, the deep mournful whistle of a distant train at night

For smell - while walking in snowshoes in winter through a country cedar forest, a waft of wood smoke from a distant farmhouse.

MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka)
16.1  author  MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka)  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @16    4 weeks ago
cedar forest, a waft of wood smoke from a distant farmhouse. I'll add a sight - the sparkling crystal world on a cold sunny day after a freezing rain.

I love the smell of cedar! And in MI, those iced trees are very pretty.

In Dearborn MI, you can still hear those train whistles; albeit it's only during the day.

Dig
17  Dig    4 weeks ago

Wild honeysuckle wafting across the yard in the summer.

Freshly cut grass.

Freshly cut wood.

Tessylo
18  Tessylo    4 weeks ago

I think my one of my favorite sounds is a thunderstorm when I'm home and safe and sound.

zuksam
19  zuksam    4 weeks ago

Fresh cut hay is nice but even bales smell good and Cow manure it reminds me of my grandparents farm. I like a pine forest, the ocean, and charcoal BBQ.

19.1  author  MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka)  replied to  zuksam @19    4 weeks ago
Cow manure it reminds me of my grandparents farm

My stepdad's mom had a cow named Blackie. One time when we went to visit (Bloomfield, MO), while eating dinner, I had asked where Blackie was because I would feed her by hand... I was only about 12 at the time. She told me that we were eating her. I cried as I ate the most delicious hamburger of my life; I mourned my friend as I ate her. jrSmiley_86_smiley_image.gif Wow... take that out of context and that would be BAD!!

See, my great grandma (my dad's grandma on his dad's side) and that part of my family owned a maple syrup farm... completely different smell. jrSmiley_86_smiley_image.gif

TTGA
19.1.1  TTGA  replied to  MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka) @19.1    3 weeks ago

Aubrey, my grandpa had a rule that his kids could name all of the milk cows and the horses, but not the bulls, sheep, chickens or pigs.  That was reinforced in me by a pet rabbit when I was a kid.  As he stated it, "Never get emotionally involved with something that you intend to eat".

19.1.2  author  MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka)  replied to  TTGA @19.1.1    3 weeks ago

We were only there once a year or so; so, it wasn't like I had the chance to learn that since I was rarely on a farm with animals. I still ate it. It was so delicious. I'd like to think that she would've wanted it that way. A vegetarian friend of mine asked me if my kids knew how their meat became their food. I said, yeah... so, I put my son and daughter on speaker phone and asked them to tell me how their hamburgers were made. My son said, "They're from cows." Then, I asked how that cow dies to be our food. He says, "They bash 'em in the skull." jrSmiley_86_smiley_image.gif I don't lie to my kids. She thought that if they knew how they got their meat, they wouldn't eat it. My daughter said, "Yeah, and they cut the heads off of the chickens." jrSmiley_86_smiley_image.gif

Dragon
20  Dragon    4 weeks ago

Smell: Fresh cut grass, ocean

Sound: running river, ocean waves

20.1  author  MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka)  replied to  Dragon @20    4 weeks ago

Love the sound of ocean waves. A running river just makes me have to pee. jrSmiley_10_smiley_image.gif

Ed-NavDoc
21  Ed-NavDoc    4 weeks ago

"I love the smell of napalm in the morning!" Just kidding. A great line by Robert Duvall from the movie Apocalypse Now. Seriously though, I love the smell of rain in the desert after a summer rain.

21.1  author  MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka)  replied to  Ed-NavDoc @21    4 weeks ago

I know EXACTLY where that line came from. jrSmiley_100_smiley_image.jpg

21.2  author  MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka)  replied to  Ed-NavDoc @21    4 weeks ago

Only been to the desert once and it never rained while I was there. I was sent to Las Vegas for work to change out springs and shocks for testing on HMMWVs in Henderson.

Vic Eldred
22  Vic Eldred    4 weeks ago

Here's an odd one for ya - the smell of the popcorn in the movie theater.

22.1  author  MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka)  replied to  Vic Eldred @22    4 weeks ago

MMMMM! Movie theater popcorn! jrSmiley_93_smiley_image.jpg

Vic Eldred
22.1.1  Vic Eldred  replied to  MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka) @22.1    4 weeks ago

The salt & the butter - it's deadly, but I used to love it!

MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka)
22.1.2  author  MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka)  replied to  Vic Eldred @22.1.1    4 weeks ago

I have freak genetics on both sides of my family. We can eat that stuff and smoke cigarettes and drink and still live to be in our 80s and 90s.

Vic Eldred
22.1.3  Vic Eldred  replied to  MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka) @22.1.2    4 weeks ago

The way I liked it is not good for anyone. All of that stuff on it made it very high in cholesterol. I simply can't eat the way I used to.

MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka)
22.1.4  author  MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka)  replied to  Vic Eldred @22.1.3    4 weeks ago

Yeah, I like to air pop mine and put REAL melted butter and some salt on it, but I don't soak it in butter.

Vic Eldred
22.1.5  Vic Eldred  replied to  MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka) @22.1.4    4 weeks ago

Sounds good to me.

JaneDoe
22.2  JaneDoe  replied to  Vic Eldred @22    4 weeks ago

The smell of popcorn anywhere makes me want some.

Vic Eldred
22.2.1  Vic Eldred  replied to  JaneDoe @22.2    4 weeks ago

The smell of it is enticing. I haven't had it in a long time.

Freewill
23  Freewill    4 weeks ago

Anyone like the smell of their own farts?  Asking for a friend.... no?  Alrighty then...moving along...

Just Jim NC TttH
23.1  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  Freewill @23    4 weeks ago

jrSmiley_10_smiley_image.gif Excellent

23.2  author  MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka)  replied to  Freewill @23    3 weeks ago

jrSmiley_86_smiley_image.gif

23.3  author  MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka)  replied to  Freewill @23    3 weeks ago

I enjoy the SOUND of my own farts sometimes... it's quite amusing. jrSmiley_91_smiley_image.gif

Yes, I can be like a 6 year old sometimes.

Freewill
23.3.1  Freewill  replied to  MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka) @23.3    3 weeks ago
I enjoy the SOUND of my own farts sometimes... it's quite amusing.

True.  Although the silent but deadly approach is also quite amusing.  The retching, the gagging, the desperate attempt to ascertain the source and separate from it.   Crowd control 101 in my humble opinion.

MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka)
23.3.2  author  MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka)  replied to  Freewill @23.3.1    3 weeks ago

jrSmiley_10_smiley_image.gif

Yeah, when me and my husband go shopping together, albeit it's been a long time we did so, he or I will warn the other if we crop dusted an aisle. It's really fun to watch someone walk into the fog.

Freewill
24  Freewill    4 weeks ago

On a more serious and less pungent note, the smells of a baseball field remind me of my childhood playing little league ball.  The freshly cut grass, the smell of the leather glove, hell even the faint cigarette smoke from the bleachers.

24.1  author  MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka)  replied to  Freewill @24    3 weeks ago

And the chalk lines.

Freewill
24.1.1  Freewill  replied to  MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka) @24.1    3 weeks ago
And the chalk lines.

LOL - What movie was that where the guy was snorting up the chalk lines on the ball field?

MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka)
24.1.2  author  MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka)  replied to  Freewill @24.1.1    3 weeks ago

I don't remember.

25  Kavika     4 weeks ago

The smell of lilac on a warm summer day.

SYRINGA_BLOOMERANG_DARK_PURPLE_LILAC_REBLOOMING_GC_SYRDP_03.jpg

the sound of a loon calling across the lake at sunset.

Or a wolf howling on a winters day.

Kathleen
25.1  Kathleen  replied to  Kavika @25    4 weeks ago

My sister would cut a bouquet of these every year for me.

25.1.1  Kavika   replied to  Kathleen @25.1    4 weeks ago

I remember the smell from when I was a kid growing up. They grew wild in northern MN.

25.2  author  MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka)  replied to  Kavika @25    3 weeks ago

I LOVE the sound of loons.

25.2.1  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka) @25.2    3 weeks ago

I forgot about that one.  The long wail of the loon echoing from down the lake on a misty daybreak, as I sat out on the dock watching the sun rise, while sipping Gull Lake coffee (2/3 strong brewed coffee, 1/3 Baillie's Irish Cream) from a big mug.

Freewill
25.2.2  Freewill  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @25.2.1    3 weeks ago

It isn't easy to paint a mental picture so clear and so serene that it can be enjoyed by all 5 senses.  But you appear to have done it with that comment my friend.

25.3  author  MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka)  replied to  Kavika @25    3 weeks ago

But we had a lilac bush right between our front door and side door when I was growing up and I was stung by so many bees... I do love the smell of lilac, but it just reminds me of how many times I was stung as a kid too.

Greg Jones
27  Greg Jones    3 weeks ago

Smells: Just about any fragrant flower,shrub, or tree. Iris, carnations, roses, and linden tree. The smells of green beans or tomatoes being canned.

Sounds: The roar of large round radial airplane engines, that special sound of dual "glasspack" mufflers "wrapping up" and "backing down", thunder, and children's laughter.

Sights: The stars under dark skies, lightening, the Colorado mountains and the Canyonlands of Utah, big smiles from pretty ladies

27.1  author  MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka)  replied to  Greg Jones @27    3 weeks ago

Radial aircraft engines are absolutely fantastic, aren't they? They make so much power too! A friend of mine had a friend that was a pilot and we rented a small Cessna from a local place. While we were waiting for his pilot friend to do the safety checks, we were checking out some of the other aircraft. My friend said, "Hey, should we say something about that cargo plane leaking oil?" I said, "Nope. It's a radial, if it's not leaking, it doesn't have oil." I went to school for aircraft maintenance and repair right out of high school. I did all my work ahead of time in my recip. engines class just so I could work on a radial and see if I (with 2 other students) could get it running; it was on a "buck" stand. We did and it was AWESOME!

MUVA
28  MUVA    3 weeks ago

I like the smell that comes from a 22 inch toke master when cooking the ganny.

PJ
29  PJ    3 weeks ago
  • Smell of winter in the mountains
  • Fire in the fireplace
  • Fir trees
  • Outdoors after a heavy rain
  • Cut grass
  • Leather
  • Cooked Pumpkin/apple pies
  • Coffee after a cold morning walk
  • Silence

29.1  author  MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka)  replied to  PJ @29    3 weeks ago

My son loves pumpkin pie. I think that's why he loves Thanksgiving. jrSmiley_86_smiley_image.gif He's 12 and I don't remember a time when he didn't love pumpkin pie. He'll leave the cakes and other pies alone... but pumpkin, I usually have to make 2 just so he can eat one almost completely by himself. He's super skinny too... You wouldn't know he eats like that.