╌>

The NewsTalkers Community Group is STILL ACCEPTING Suggestions and Ideas NT Members Would Like to See in the Upcoming NT Revision

Category:  Other

Via:  jerry-verlinger  •  9 years ago  •  200 comments

The NewsTalkers Community Group is STILL ACCEPTING Suggestions and Ideas NT Members Would Like to See in the Upcoming NT Revision

T he NewsTalkers Community Group is Looking For Suggestions and Ideas for the NewsTalkers site that we can put into a ......

suggestion_box.jpg?width=250

......so we can pass them on to Perrie while she is working on updating the site.

Here are a few from NTC, you can comment on and/or add to;

Create ability to search for groups by typing in few words.

Show message when same article has already been seeded.

Automatically underline Links or allow them to be bold or better colored.

Create a 90 day time frame that a member must wait to change either their avatar or their User Name, and disallow changing both at the same time.

Put links for [Next] and [Previous] at both the top and bottom of every thread page.

Eliminate need for a dash (-) in tags

Create Category for Education articles

Allow for communication with any member w/o having them on your friends list.

Create the ability to search for groups by topic

The comment thread is closed. Please post your suggestions in the comment wall. All suggestions will be forwarded to Perrie immediately.

Thank you,
Jerry Verlinger
NTC Co-Administrator

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Randy
Sophomore Participates
link   Randy    9 years ago

I wish that rule would be still in force. I'd have no trouble with it.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Expert
link   Perrie Halpern R.A.    9 years ago

I have been, and as far as I can see, it is a request for a rule, not a request to ban a specific individual. And as Mike has pointed out, that there are members who have made this request, despite having name changes themselves.

This article is just a discussion.

And honestly, until this discussion, I never gave much thought if it is possible to do any changes on the new platform. It might not be, in which case, this would all be a non discussion.

Randy
Sophomore Participates

Some people change their names 3 or 4 times over the course of years. Some several times over the course of days or less.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Expert

yawn.

Randy
Sophomore Participates

Yep

Petey Coober
Freshman Silent
link   Petey Coober    9 years ago

Why does it have to be only a simple majority ? That leads to the worst type of abuses .

Randy
Sophomore Participates

Nothing should be at the expense of others feelings. That's not what NT is about.

I think some people are compulsively desperately in need of attention. Even if it's bad attention.

Kavika
Professor Principal
link   Kavika     9 years ago

Howdy, I'm the new Sheriff in town. All rules, suggested rules, rules on the back burner, and rules about rules will be strictly enforced.

Violators will be shot. Survivors will be shot again, or have a purple pen placed in the orifice of their choosing.

The high heel boots are killing me, so I'm pretty short tempered.

e466d37674f42e1958b8b6ad8097d074.jpg

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
link   XXJefferson51    9 years ago
You forgot Great Dictator.

Randy
Sophomore Participates

Looks like a tough one. Has he tamed many wild towns like this one?Grin.gif

Petey Coober
Freshman Silent

Can you assemble a white paper

Are you TRYING to be racist ?!

Randy
Sophomore Participates

Personally I think it's pathetic and childish. But what can you do? In the end, they will win and take over.

Petey Coober
Freshman Silent

So you want to be bullied by the majority ...

Randy
Sophomore Participates

Each member has a choice. I'm not a quitter...I don't intend to give in the the bullies and Trolls. That is why they don't like me. Sorry. 106.gif

Good for you! Ignore them as the poorly raised children that they are.Smile.gif

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
I am curious if there are anymore serious ideas for proposed changes, imporvements, additions, or deletions for the new site?

Randy
Sophomore Participates

As would I.

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
I'll propose more if I think of them. I did kick off the discussion with some. See page one of comments.

Kavika
Professor Principal

Wiki, makes Jesse James look like a Girl Scout.Smile.gif

Petey Coober
Freshman Silent

I would like to see a feature that allows it easy to locate an article you have voted up . Sometimes you can't think of an immediate comment . This would make it easier to add one later ...

Jerry Verlinger
Freshman Silent
link   seeder  Jerry Verlinger    9 years ago

That is fine to limit groups to a particular topic. I have no problem with that. That's not blocking. Keeping a certain member out who legitimately wants to participate would be.

I understand what you're saying Corny. But we haven't had that kind of problem here. You'll find that NT is a muchfriendlier site and animosity of that kind between members is rare.

Also, NewsTalkers is much better moderated than NV, so if there were to be any reports of unfair restrictions regarding group participation, I'm sure the admin would look at it and take appropriate action.

Jerry Verlinger
Freshman Silent

"People make frequent changes so they they can play hide-and-seek,..."

If you can't keep up with the charaters in a converstion maybe you don't belong in the discussion......

"That is completely untrue" let me see if I can find a single word to describe that sentence,.....oh yeah,... BULLSHIT.

Yeah Right LR, whatever.

Look, you're welcome to participate in this discussion as much as you want, just don't directed any more comments to me.

Jerry Verlinger
Freshman Silent

Change the avatar any time, but not the username.

I would vote for that.

A double-blind blocking feature seems to bother the trolls, so it must be a good thing.

You noticed that?

Jerry Verlinger
Freshman Silent

Ever since I joined Newsvine many years ago I have used the same name, continuing it here.

I have always used my real name and photo on every site I have posted on (I think it's an ego thing). I feel I should never have to ashamed, embarrassed, intimidated or fearful about anything I say. I am who I am, and I say what I want. If you don't like it, kook me up, I'm listed in the phone book.

Jerry Verlinger
Freshman Silent

Whoa. No one should be told to go back anywhere.

No one was told to go anywhere, the guy said IF you want to block, then go elsewhere.

IMO, that is just a point of information.

Jerry Verlinger
Freshman Silent

Telling someone who does not agree with you to go someplace else is hardly being 'fair'...

That is true if you tell some to go elsewhere, but that is not what was said. He said IF you want ....

There is no two letter word in the English language that has as much meaning as NO, than the word IF.

Jerry Verlinger
Freshman Silent

The constant name and avatar-changing is nothing more than a pain in the ass.

And my number one beef with this site.

Jerry Verlinger
Freshman Silent

Because you don't get to dictate how I want to represent myself. ....... Who are you to tell someone what they can and can't use to identify themselves?

Where in Macs' comment did you see where he was dictating how you can represent or identify yourself?

Anybody can use whatever avatar or user name that they chose. You can't just go choosing differentidentities every hour or every day.

The name and avatar often times reflects the mood of the individual.

That's fine. But I don't recall you ever not using your name. You have sometimes changed your avatar, but we still knew we were talking to Bruce Tarlton.

Jerry Verlinger
Freshman Silent

Because a few people don't like it, we MUST make a rule to keep it from happening.

You've been on this site long enough to know that nothing gets changed around here becausea "few people don't like it".

Changes only occurwhen there is a overwhelming call for the change.

Jerry Verlinger
Freshman Silent

I think a person should be able to change their avatar as often as they like or feel the need to, but would suggest that once you join NT that a single username be maintained until you leave for good, i.e. if you leave and return you ise the same username.

I would like to see that also, but when I first suggested it I was met with resistance, thus the suggestion for a time frame to change either, or.

However, Perrie prefers to make whatever changes the membership leans toward. So I guess we'll just have to wait and see what happens. I don't really care what the change is, I just know it needs to be changed.

Jerry Verlinger
Freshman Silent

I know A lot of people disagree (not that that's ever stopped me before), but I would still like to see an ignore feature.

I was on NV for 5 years and never once put anyone on 'Ignore'. I don't need a button to ignore someone. Anyway like to see what I'm ignoring.

Jerry Verlinger
Freshman Silent

There are a few here whose articles and comments are so disgusting, offensive and hateful that I don't want to even have to look at them, as it makes me very angry that people on the outside see it and think that all NT members are that low class.

Because you have someone on 'Ignore' does not mean others can't see they have posted.

Robert in Ohio
Professor Guide
link   Robert in Ohio    9 years ago

Would it be possible to make modification to the "follow" feature or add a new feature perhaps that would group the article/seeds that we are interested in following the conversations on without the email notification?

I get far too many emails already.

This would also allow one to ignore with ignoring the articles and seeds that they are not interested in.

Is it possible for a balancing "dislike" option in the rating of articles?

How about a function (button) on comments that allows questionable comments (requests for deletion) to be directly sent to moderators for review rather than copying the link into a message?

How about the ability to vote up (applaud) or vote down (boo) comments through a function button>

Just a few random thoughts

Jerry Verlinger
Freshman Silent

That might be considered censorship. s/

Jerry Verlinger
Freshman Silent

How long do you think a person who stalks or harrasses will be able to remain a member here?

That's a good point Buzz, people forget that this probably the best moderated news site on the 'net.

Jerry Verlinger
Freshman Silent

Probably not long but why open it up to trouble. You can put a note on anyone's page already, why do you need the ability to send someone you haven't friended an email anyhow?

That's a fair argument, it seems like an issue we should put to a vote.

Jerry Verlinger
Freshman Silent

It would be a really helpful feature for the mods, though.

I'm not sure, But I thinkthe mods have the ability to contact any member. If they can't, you're right, I would be a good feature for them.

Jerry Verlinger
Freshman Silent

All this instigating serves no purpose.

The purpose of theinstigating is to be disruptive.If we close the thread, theinstigatorswin.

I haven't been able to be here as much as I planned. but I'm here now, and if I see any in-fighting taking the thread off topic, I will call in the mods.

The article was posted to give members an opportunity to have input into the new platform, and allowing Perrie to see what the members are thinking and what they would like to have in the new version.

Jerry Verlinger
Freshman Silent

I don't give out my personal email address to just anyone, only those who I want to hear from.

We all have the ability to block messages from anyone, friend or not, right now.

Jerry Verlinger
Freshman Silent

Let's just require everyone to use their own name and a picture of themselves as their avatar. I have no problem with doing that and have done so myself in the distant past. Then we'll be done with this whole silly-assed issue.

I agree with you, but too many people are paranoid or whatever, and feel more comfortable hiding behind a pseudo name. It would be nice to have a site that requires everyone to post in the first person, but I'm afraid such a site would have very few members.

Jerry Verlinger
Freshman Silent

We all know who the people are who change their name and avatar just about every day and sometimes several times a day. I vote they be kicked off the site for good!

I agree, but the UA or CoC must be modified to make frequent name changes a violation, and thosepeople should then be given the opportunity to comply before they're asked to leave.

Uncle Bruce
Professor Quiet
link   Uncle Bruce    9 years ago

I see the whiny faction of NT has driven Mike L. to quit. Nice job.

I guess you're on your way to your utopian NewsTalkers where no one gets offended. Must make you fucks proud.

Jerry Verlinger
Freshman Silent

You knownothingabout me, but, if it gives you pleasure and feel superior to think you do, be my guest.

It would be helpful to know who that comment is directed to.

Jerry Verlinger
Freshman Silent

803_discussions.jpg?width=60

We don't need this bullshit Petey. This article is about suggestions for the new platform. Not a platform for person attacks. I suggest you take that comment down.

Jerry Verlinger
Freshman Silent

Do you have a suggestion or idea for the new platform Petey?

If not, please leave the thread.

Jerry Verlinger
Freshman Silent

I've been stalked on line before

I can't even begin to wonder why! s/

Jerry Verlinger
Freshman Silent

Is the blood on Capt Spaulding's hands real or fake ?

(?!) What does that have to do with suggestions for the new platform?

Please John, don't add to the nonsense.

Jerry Verlinger
Freshman Silent

Perrie will help you, or I will. Step-by-Step.

He's playing you Marsha. He knows full well how to post an avatar. He didn't see to have a problem with it when he started the Fox News Nation .

This is a group that believes in the alternative media and that Fox and others are fair and balanced. We believe that the lamestream media is forever biased in favor of liberals. This is where conservative opinion and news will be unfiltered but all will be free to view it and comment on it.

Jerry Verlinger
Freshman Silent

Jerry, that was a little humor.

I'm hysterical.

Are you going to go through this for 7 more pages ?

Yes.

Someone has already quit NT because of this thread. Why do you want to keep it going ?

That someone is very temperamental and has quit before. He'll be back.

I'm trying to find out what happened.

A. Macarthur
Professor Guide
link   A. Macarthur    9 years ago

Just coming down from the mountains what's this about Mike quitting?

Jerry Verlinger
Freshman Silent

I propose that you force him to accept an avatar.

I doubt Perrie will do that without a member approved change in the UA.

Jerry Verlinger
Freshman Silent

I don't think anyone will be required to use their real names. It would embarrass the gay basher whose real name is Liberace Tutu.

Now that one is funny!11.gif

Jerry Verlinger
Freshman Silent

Do that and I'm gone (although I'm sure that wouldn't displease you)

But it would displease a great deal of other people.

All all the changes that are not going to happen on this site ... IMO, that one is number one.

Petey Coober
Freshman Silent

That was my attempt to contribute a real suggestion to this thread . Apparently the rest of you would prefer to haggle about meta issues ...

Kavika
Professor Principal

Bruce, no one drove Mike to quit NT, he chose to quit.

Being a strong advocate of the 1st amendment, I would think that you would understand thateveryone has an opinion and can voice it. If Mike didn't like those opinions and quit, that's on him, no one else.

The article was about suggestions, no one said they were rules. An open invitation for everyone to voice what they thought would improve the site. You can agree or disagree with the suggestions, that is up to each individual.

To quit over it, is also an individual choice. One that Mike took.

Trying to blame his quitting on others is BS. You know it, I know it.

The old saying applies, ''if you can't take the heat, stay out of the kitchen''.

Petey Coober
Freshman Silent

How about the ability to vote up (applaud) or vote down (boo) comments through a function button

Shades of NewsVine ...

Jerry Verlinger
Freshman Silent

People's real names on sites like this are totally meaningless, and could conceivably put people in danger.

(?!) I don't understand that one. If using real names could put people in danger (which it could) then why arepeople'snames on sites like this totally meaningless?

A couple years ago someone was banned from this site for threatening , in chat, to kill another member. Maybe the anonymity saved a life . Who knows for sure ?

The same thing happened on NV a few year ago.

Petey Coober
Freshman Silent

How frequent to be a violation ?

Jerry Verlinger
Freshman Silent

Where the hell were the mods?! That kind of talk is clearly a CoC violation;

"Comments or articles .............. which in-and-of-themselves, are off topic, disruptive, abusive, threatening, harassing or offensive, ............ or otherwise objectionable; are prohibited, and will be removed."

(?!) So what happened? I couldn't be here, but several mods where here, the Site Advisor/Head Moderator was here, I think the NTC co-administrator was here (not sure about that one). So why was this guy allowed to go on his filth ladened, off topic comments?

Why are guys like that even allowed to be a member here? I mean it's nice to be liberal minded about the membership and all, but when someone trashes up the place, ridiculing and insulting people left and right .... IMO, it's time to show them the door.

Petey Coober
Freshman Silent

On the whole, this site is woefully out of touch with the major news of the day and always has been.

Yes you are . But you can't help being obsessed about the same topics repeatedly . I'm sure a psychologist would know what to make of this behavior ... but I'm at a loss .

Randy
Sophomore Participates

Where the hell were the mods?! That kind of talk is clearly a CoC violation;

It is and I would have happily deleted it, but I've commented in the thread before that "comment" was made, so, because of the CoC, I can't delete an obvious CoC violation. Strange, huh?

Cerenkov
Professor Silent
link   Cerenkov    9 years ago
How come corporate political spending drives people to vote one way, but Mike was solely responsible for his departure. I see a lot of inconsistencies here.

Petey Coober
Freshman Silent

I can't believe it but I agree with The Russel . It must be a sign of the Apocalypse !

Uncle Bruce
Professor Quiet

Bullshit Kavika. That's the same bullshit Raving Lunatic Raven Wing said when she opined that we should make this bullshit name/avatar mess a rule. Don't like it, quit. That's no fucking choice, and YOU KNOW IT.

Uncle Bruce
Professor Quiet

Her whining and crying about offensive posts and offensive people is pure bullshit. No one has a RIGHT to not be offended.

Randy
Sophomore Participates

I hope he comes back too and plants himself firmly in one place, for awhile anyway. He is still a friend, even though he does go over the line sometimes. Still, I can't blame him for wanting to leave this place sometimes.

Randy
Sophomore Participates

Proposing that everyone should have to use their real names is the height of absurdity. It should not have even been discussed, except as a subject of mockery.

I was the one who suggested that and when this site was new it was a proposal that people use either their real picture or their real name. I still think it's a good proposal. So, obviously, we disagree.

Petey Coober
Freshman Silent

Why are we stuck on a controversial proposal when we haven't even exhausted the uncontroversial issues ?

Randy
Sophomore Participates

I disagree about the idea. Simple as that. Calm down. It was a proposal when this site was new. That's all and I like the idea.

Randy
Sophomore Participates

How about this John. You don't like the idea. I do like the idea. Let's call that an impasse? OK?

Kavika
Professor Principal

Bullshit right back at ya Bruce. That's not what I said, and YOU KNOW IT.

There were suggestions by various members of NT...That's it, suggestions, nothing more. I would think that there isn't a ice cubes chance in hell of using real names be required.

He didn't have to quit, because most of the suggestions wouldn't have a chance in hell of becoming a rule on NT.

There was no choice of don't like it quit, because there were NO FRICKIN' rule that said it. How difficult is that to understand?

Mike got his pants in a wad over something that wasn't reality and quit. That is the fact of the matter, whether you like it or not.

Petey Coober
Freshman Silent

From my POV he was just getting in front of this issue before it snuck up on him ...

Kavika
Professor Principal

That is correct, no one has a right not to be offended. On the other hand, when someone offends and get's it throw right back in their face, it's time for them to put on their big boy pants and not quit over it.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
link   Buzz of the Orient    9 years ago

That's strange. I always thought Mike L was too strong-minded a person to quit over something that wasn't so important in life.

Jerry Verlinger
Freshman Silent

How about a function (button) on comments that allows questionable comments (requests for deletion) to be directly sent to moderators for review rather than copying the link into a message?

Something like that has been proposed before. Something like a 'Report this comment" button. It certainly make it a lot easier on the mods.

How about the ability to vote up (applaud) or vote down (boo) comments through a function button>

People have been asking for a 'Vote Up' button since the site was started. I think it may be programing issue.

Jerry Verlinger
Freshman Silent

How about the ability to vote up (applaud) or vote down (boo) comments through a function button

Shades of NewsVine ...

Yes, but a feature sorely missed by many. I wish we had one. It's a lot easier than opening a comment box and posting a 113.gif .

Not to mention the room it saves.

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
Are you sure he quit? He seeded a humorous meta yesterday. Maybe he just changed his ID and picture icon. If he did leave he'll be sorely missed.

Randy
Sophomore Participates

I've been in contact since he left (I was pissed at him and I thought he got pissed about it and quit because of it. He didn't and we're friends again) Beyond that I won't talk about personal conversations, just as I wouldn't with anyone else. Sorry. However he has quit. I hope not for good.

Petey Coober
Freshman Silent

Yes he left . He made some comments on an article I seeded . But they're gone now .

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet
link   Dowser    9 years ago

Same here. Once I've commented, I can't behave as a mod, only as a member.

Jerry Verlinger
Freshman Silent

Proposing that everyone should have to use their real names is the height of absurdity.

I saw the comments about members posting in first person, and even posted one myself. It was a very brief exchange that mostly discussed why, on sites like this, people rarely use their real name and photo. Any mention of making it mandatory was generally in the negative.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert

Although I already use a real photo of myself, I want to know if this photo would qualify if we HAD to use one - it's me, even if it isn't current.

805_discussions.jpg

Or would a caricature do - it IS a caricature of me.

806_discussions.jpg

A. Macarthur
Professor Guide

Someone please help me understand why a conversation has to proceed like THIS

Person 1: "My idea is 'X' "

Person 2: "Fuck you that's a fucking stupid idea and I quit!"

INSTEAD OF LIKE THIS;

Person 2: "'X' is a really bad idea because of potential consequences like 'A,' 'B' and even 'C'. I strongly disagree!"

Really; why do some of these threads immediately turn personal and ugly? Incident-by-incident, they're killing NT.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert

I have often been told that by Chinese students. Actually I don't mind resembling him since he is highly respected here.

Uncle Bruce
Professor Quiet

The problem Raving Wing, is that your whining has driven a member away.

Uncle Bruce
Professor Quiet

It's actually more like this Mac:

Person 2: "Fuck you that's a fucking stupid idea"

Person 1: "How dare you disagree with my idea! You're so childish and immature! I'm so offended by you"

Person 2: "Tough shit. Get over it."

Person 1: "I will not get over it! You are so rude! You offend me! No one should have to put up with insulting behavior in a cyber world! Blah blah blah...Bitch bitch, bitch...I'm offended and my pussy hurts!"

Person 2: "Jesus Christ! What a bunch of thin skinned whiney little bitches on this site! I've got a life, unlike these whiney pisspots! I'm out of here!!"

A. Macarthur
Professor Guide

What a bunch of thin skinned whiney little bitches on this site!

Bruce, while every comment after the first "Person 1" comment is inappropriate and not helpful to NT, in my opinion, had this comment not been made

Person 2: "Fuck you that's a fucking stupid idea"

the rest of the thread might have been more civil.

Why can't the message be objectively attacked without attacking the messenger?

Uncle Bruce
Professor Quiet

Mac, I'm just telling you what I've learned from Mike as to why he left. In his words, The whining BS thin skinned crying on the site.

Aeonpax
Freshman Silent
link   Aeonpax    9 years ago

I have two suggestions:

#1 - Add "font" and/or "size" plus "indent" to the tool bar.

#2 - A function on the front page that allows a member to see if there is a response to a post they made.

Aeonpax
Freshman Silent
link   Aeonpax    9 years ago

Thank you John.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Expert

Hi Aeon,
You will be getting not only a font size button, but also a font type and color! You will love it!

Robert in Ohio
Professor Guide

Jerry

Appreciate the feedback.

I am sure that Perrie will give us a fine platform

Nowhere Man
Junior Guide
link   Nowhere Man    9 years ago

WHEN? Grin.gif

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Expert

Still working out some odds and sods. Hopefully within the next month or so... things seem to be going a bit faster than expected. But there are bits and pieces that I still have to get worked on and still be present here. OY.

Nowhere Man
Junior Guide

Anything that is asked of the membership to hopefully improve the forum gets rapidly turned into META.

Everyone acts like they own the joint and it would just be better if we did it "THEIR" way.

Everyone has a vested emotional relationship connection with the site, just to differing levels.

Once that relationship connection is broken they leave. I've left three times.

Why? Cause it isn't worth it emotionally in real life to deal with bullshite. Online forums are the playgrounds of today. You have all the elements of the schoolyard playground going at full blast 24/7 right down to the monitors don't get there until after the deed is done.

You have the toughs trying to prove their toughness everyday, the little scamps pulling the braids and running away, the pair of hoodlums going up to someone they don't like and knocking them over.

The whole gamut of childish behavior on display everyday.

Articles like this are a perfect example of the incivility of the crowd when left to their own devices.

And people wonder why there is a need for government/rules/laws.

Because without them, we have anarchy.

Hence, any request for suggestion to help the board turns to META.

People love it when there are no rules or rules that are easy to ignore.

Personalities before people.

WE already have our share of Donald Trumps

Articles like this just confirm my reasons to reduce my participation to very low levels.

With very good reasons. you would be surprised at just how quickly a persons contributions to this board can be turned against them outside the board. And yes it has happened.

I wish it was the little self contained playground you can have all to yourself for venting or having a tantrum or whatever you like.

Online is becoming real life.

Get used to it. Frown.gif

Nowhere Man
Junior Guide

VAY!

I understand completely!

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet

That would be a good idea! Grin.gif

Nona62
Professor Silent
link   Nona62    9 years ago

807_discussions.jpg Perrie, you might want to consider this......use it any time you wish!! Smile.gif

pat wilson
Professor Participates
link   pat wilson    9 years ago

I don't understand why you and John Russell hate the meta articles. I don't see anymore objectionable behavior on these articles than on any others. People are making suggestions and rule changes and others disagree, sometimes overtly. But how is that any different than any other article. I like some of the suggestions but personally think the rule making should be kept in check, the fewer the better.Smile.gif

Kavika
Professor Principal

Greetings humans, also NT members.

Allow me to introduce myself. I am called, Weendigo by some, Yee Naaldooshii, by some, and Skinwalker by others. Those are the ones that have survived an encounterwith me, there are few.

If your Chief Perrie agrees, I will be thesoul MOD (I do love human souls) for your site.

My decisions are final, there are no appeals. I have been called fair by some, it's a lie.

I will be here 24/7/365 since time is a human thing, I do not adhere to it.

If you choose to make a deal with the devil, give me a call,or call Charlie Daniels he knows me personally. (we met in Georgia)

skinwalker.jpg

Uncle Bruce
Professor Quiet

If I was a MOD I would not mind pulling my share of volunteer days.

If you were a mod, half of NT would quit. And that's the golden truth.

Uncle Bruce
Professor Quiet

Why are guys like that even allowed to be a member here? I mean it's nice to be liberal minded about the membership and all, but when someone trashes up the place, ridiculing and insulting people left and right .... IMO, it's time to show them the door.

Hey Jerry.

comment removed as CoC violation. LH

Uncle Bruce
Professor Quiet

Comment removed for CoC violation [ph],quit being so pissy when you don't like something someone says. The world does not revolve around Raving Wing.

Robert in Ohio
Professor Guide

Very effective technique of teaching rowdy children manners and how to get along with others.

Smile.gif

Randy
Sophomore Participates

Dean Moriarty
Professor Quiet
link   Dean Moriarty    9 years ago

It's been happening to a lot of good members the whiners are really making it hard for people to speak their mind. I wish it was the other way around and the whiny twits would leave.

Uncle Bruce
Professor Quiet

I don't give a shit what you think he told you Randy. I don't trust a fucking thing out of your mouth. You're a hypocrite, who changes colors faster than any chameleon in the animal world, and you truly can not be trusted. I have written proof of what he said.

Randy
Sophomore Participates

I have a suggestion. Let's get and keep the fucking Meta off the front page.

A. Macarthur
Professor Guide

If your Chief Perrie agrees, I will be thesoul MOD (I do love human souls) for your site.

I support this in times when no MOD is otherwise available and a reasonable, fair-minded, urgently-called for decision is necessary.

Uncle Bruce
Professor Quiet

You need to read the rules Larry.

"Fuck You"

"Fuck Off"

"Go Fuck Yourself"

One is permitted. If you don't know the answer to that, you are AGAIN part of the problem. Get with Perrie. Review this, then restore my comment.

A. Macarthur
Professor Guide

For the good of the site, can we calm down and disagree in a civil manner however vehemently?

Uncle Bruce
Professor Quiet

Not to worry. I'm done with this article. I'll leave you to deal with the hypocrites and whiney offended prima donnas here Amac.

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
That would be a great idea. We should be making suggestions and civilly commenting on them. I can't believe this seed turned out the way it did.

Kavika
Professor Principal

Don't toke that joint Feronia.

Youneed to pass it around, the membership needs to calm down, or meet the Skinwalker...Smile.gif

Nona62
Professor Silent

It can be Very effective, but, there is no guarranteethat it is effective on all children.

Randy
Sophomore Participates

I fear there are those on here it would never work on. Or at the very least it's too late now, as their parents should have done it years ago. Some people's children never grow up.

Nona62
Professor Silent

Some people's children never grow up........and have a limited vocabulary. (but, that calls for soap in the mouth, not Time Out)...

Randy
Sophomore Participates

And a strong paddling.

Jerry Verlinger
Freshman Silent

#1 - Add "font"and/or "size"plus "indent" to the tool bar.

#2 - A function on the front page that allows a member to see if there is a response to a post they made.

Great ideas. Thanks Aeon.

Nona62
Professor Silent

And a strong paddling. I'm not so sue about that, some people enjoy it, so, that wouldn't be a punishment.

Jerry Verlinger
Freshman Silent

It is and I would have happily deleted it, but I've commented in the thread before that "comment" was made, so,becauseof the CoC, I can't delete an obvious CoC violation. Strange, huh?

Yeah it's strange. I forgot about that stupid rule I remember trying to get it changed when I was a mod, but the Site Adviser said it was staying. I would delete a comment, forgetting I had posted on the thread two days prior, and everybody would get pissed off.

Anyway, I see good ole' Larry showed up and deleted a comment (directed at me - by guess who).

I haven't been through the entire thread yet, but so far it's obvious to me one member is mostly responsible for turning this discussion into a snark fest, and I intend to do something about it.

Petey Coober
Freshman Silent

I find it surprising how many women ask to be spanked . Don't ask how I know that ...

Jerry Verlinger
Freshman Silent

So if all the NT Mods comment on the article no one can moderate the thread?

Apparently.

I don't think the one 'volunteer' and mod idea would work if they were not allowed to ever comment, unless they were paid, but then they would no longer be a volunteer, plus we would lose the unique status of being the only all volunteer moderated social news site on the 'net.

I think we could safely remove the 'prior comment' restriction if we required two mods to sign off on a deletion even if both of them had already posted on the thread.

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet

I like the idea, Petey! I hesitate to add more to Perrie's plate right now, but I think it's a good idea...

Randy
Sophomore Participates

I do believe that, as the owner, Perrie has the right to over-ride that and step in. She's done it in the past I believe.

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet

Me either, XX...

Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom
Professor Guide
link   Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom    9 years ago

Hard to pass the proverbial bong around NT...

Thank goodnessfor the bong. We depletedour supply of page 3 months ago.

A. Macarthur
Professor Guide

I propose an AMENDMENT

WHERE, WITHIN A DISCUSSION/THREAD, IT BECOMES NECESSARY TO DELETE A COMMENT AND/OR MODERATE IN ANY WAY, SHAPE OR FORM, IF/WHEN ALL MODERATORS, AT THAT POINT IN THE THREADHAVECOMMENTED, ONE, AND ONLY ONE MODERATOR SHALL DESIGNATE HIM/HERSELF AS "MODERATOR-BY-DEFAULT", AND SHALL FUNCTION AS SUCH FOR THE LIFE OF THAT THREAD, MAKING NO SUBSEQUENT COMMENTS AS A "MEMBER".

Jerry Verlinger
Freshman Silent

I find the fact that "meta" articles draw four or five times as much activity as 90% of the seeded articles on the site is what should worry or bother people, but of course it doesn't.

It seems to me the fact that meta articles draws so many members to their discussions is an indication that the members are very interested in what's going on with the sites' functions and want to be a part of its operation.

What is out of balance here is that the majority of the members here are trying to make some suggestions and engage in a discussion, while one or two members (mostly one) are running amok trashing the discussion, trashing the site and trashing other members.

People here are more concerned with how they relate to each other and whose feelings are or are not getting hurt then they are about creating lively discussions. More often than not this site is just boring.

You areconsistently at or near the top of the Leaderboard John, which is an indication that you are one of the sites main contributors. If the site is often boring, one could reasonably assume that the quality of yourcontributionsis creating theboredom.

Jerry Verlinger
Freshman Silent

Ya know Bruce, you have been nothing but disruptive in this discussion. Either make some suggestions for the revised site, comment on some of the suggestions posted here, or get the fuck off the thread!

Jerry Verlinger
Freshman Silent

That statement alone explains many things. Your idea is that the only thing that matters here on NT is having a 'lively' discussion regardless of whether or not people's feelings are hurt in the process?

I'm pretty sure that is not what John said.

Anyway, for a person that is constantly complaining about hurt feelings and not wanting to be on the FP because of all the negative rhetoric, you sure seem to enjoy getting into the thick of it when the fur is flying.

If you would just ignore all the bullshit that's being flung around here, you would avoid becoming a part of it, and have no reason to get all riled up.

You and others have offered some good ideas in keeping with the purpose of the article, why don't you just concentrate on that and stay out of all the in fighting?

Jerry Verlinger
Freshman Silent

Not fair Mac, every member, especially the mods, should be able to participate in the discussion regarding a meta article like this. Perrie is the sites Lead Moderator and Resident Adviser, I think she should be exempt from the 'previous comment' rule. I think you also should be exempt.

Jerry Verlinger
Freshman Silent

Appreciate the feedback.

You're welcome RIO

I am sure that Perrie will give us a fine platform

I have on doubt, she's been working very hard at it.

Nowhere Man
Junior Guide

You wanna end this crap?

Moderators are moderators, just like every other site on the net. whether they comment on an article or not they have a responsibility to the site.

IF they have issues, the site op deals with the moderator.

CLEAR, HARD AND FAST RULES OF ENGAGEMENT! (CoC)

CLEAR HARD AND FAST CONSEQUENCES! (site policies)

with no exceptions.

Clean this place right up drive the trolls away never to return.

WORKS EVERY TIME.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Expert

That isn't a CoC violation. It was not directed to a single member. It was crude. For the record, I remain out of these meta fests to so that I can moderate. I will only answer specific questions about the site, but offer no opinion

Jerry Verlinger
Freshman Silent

Really; why do some of these threads immediately turn personal and ugly? Incident-by-incident, they're killing NT

Yeah they are.

This is one of the worst threads I'v seen on NT and 90 99.9% of the ugliness is being created by Bruce T.

In the first place the so called "whiners" are not whining, they're people complaining about loud, foul mouth bullies that don't understand their comments and attitude are unwanted, unwarranted and out of line, and those "whiners" have a perfect right to complain about that kind of behavior.

The sad thing is BT will read that and he will be completely oblivious as to how it relates to him.

Jerry Verlinger
Freshman Silent

Really; why do some of these threads immediately turn personal and ugly? Incident-by-incident, they're killing NT

Yeah they are.

This is one of the worst threads I'v seen on NT and 9099.9% of the ugliness is being created by Bruce T.

In the first place the so called "whiners" are not whining, they're people complaining about loud, foul mouth bullies that don't understand their comments and attitude are unwanted, unwarranted and out of line, and those "whiners" have a perfect right to complain about that kind of behavior.

The sad thing is BT will read that and he will be completely oblivious as to how it relates to him.

Jerry Verlinger
Freshman Silent

I can't believe this seed turned out the way it did.

Either can I. I had no idea there were so many immature NT members.

I feelresponsiblefor what happened here. Especiallyfor Mikes departure. I'm hoping he will return.

I should not have left this discussion unattended, and I apologize for that. We weren't off page two before the arguing started. I was trying to get ahead of the comments, but they were coming in faster than I could respond to them.

Anyway, I posted this article in the genuine interest of giving Perrie some input regarding what the the members would like to see in the new format she is working on. I did discuss it with her and she thought it would be a good idea.

After I posted thearticleI logged onto the thread when it first started made a couple of comments, but then I got involved in something offline, when I came back I saw there were a lot of comments posted so I knew the article took off and the thread was active. At that point I figured the participants were posting and discussing suggestions among themselves and I didn't really need t be there. So I decided to clean up comments that had been made on other posting before I got involved in this thread.

When I did get here, I couldn't believe what was going on. It was like an elementary schoolroom left unattended.

We do have some excellent suggestions, and there was considerable discussion regarding the User Name changes, I'm hoping there will some action on that moving forward, and the Resident Advisor will call for a vote on it.

Jerry Verlinger
Freshman Silent

That was my attempt to contribute a real suggestion to this thread . Apparently the rest of you would prefer to haggle about meta issues .

That is a meta issue. Anything about the site functions is a meta issue. That's what meta is;

Dictionary.com

meta

a prefix added to the name of something that consciously references or comments upon its own subject or features:

A. Macarthur
Professor Guide

The CoC presently prohibits MODS from moderating in threads wherein they have commented hence my proposal.

Robert in Ohio
Professor Guide

To all members of News Talkers -

I propose and ask for unanimous consent for an immediate change to the Code of Code. to whit -

"In the extraordinary situation that all moderators have commented on a thread and there is a need for moderation, Perrie or a moderator she may designate will moderate the article. In the event of Perrie's absence responsibility will fall to A Mac."

I propose a listening period of 24 hours for opposition to this change to be made via email to Perrie (rather than a meta three ring circus)

Understanding that interjecting logic into a situation is a rare and huge leap, in this case I think it could work

Dean Moriarty
Professor Quiet
link   Dean Moriarty    9 years ago

Lets just move it to heated discussions where we can speak our minds.

Uncle Bruce
Professor Quiet

Oh dear God! Somebody shoot me now!

You people have lost your collective minds. This is just like Gun Control!

While the CoC does state that moderators should not moderate an article they have commented in, but rather find another moderator, there is a moderation exception. But apparently you people are not familiar with moderation of the past. Perrie WILL moderate in an article she has commented in, IF it warrants. And by warrant, that means no one else available, or a situation so critical as to need immediate attention.

But no. That's not good enough for this crowd. You need a NEW RULE! Just like gun control, you need something to be done, because you don't think the current rules are good enough. And why? Because you got your feelings hurt by a comment! And since your delicate senses were so assaulted, you need a moderator to come in and hammer the guy for the comment. Because you should never have your feelings hurt on NT! And since the usual Keystone cops felt that they could not moderate because they had already commented, YOU NOW NEED A NEW RULE!

NEWS FLASH BOYS AND GIRLS: It was not a CoC violation. I knew that when I posted it. Because, well, to be frank, I know the CoC better than 90% of you clowns. Including the current batch of moderators. I am one of the original authors of it, and understand more about what and why everything is in it, as well as how to enforce it.

If you had bothered keeping up with what Perrie has said, she has admitted publicly in this article threads that it was not a CoC violation. Rude, and crude, but not a violation. But because your feelings got hurt, you need a new rule.

Maybe it's time you boys and girls give up the big boy and big girl panties, and don a pair of Depends.

Jerry Verlinger
Freshman Silent

Lets just move it to heated discussions where we can speak our minds.

This isn't supposed to be a slam fest that has to conducted in HD.

It's supposed to be a 'suggestion box' for ideas and suggestions the members would like to have considered for the new site construction currently underway.

Do have any ideas Dean? If so, please let us know what it/they are.

Jerry Verlinger
Freshman Silent

To all members of News Talkers -

I propose and ask for unanimous consent for an immediate change to the Code of Code. to whit -

That's a great idea Robert, I suggested somewhere among the shouting and in-fighting here, that Perrie be waived from the 'prior comment' rule, but adding Mac as a backup would certainly help.

Uncle Bruce
Professor Quiet

Let me explain. It's Macro and Micro. Macro: Mods should not moderate an article they are involved in.

Micro: In a case where all or a bulk of mods are engaged in an article, a mod (Usually Perrie) may moderate comments that THEY are not involved in.

Jerry Verlinger
Freshman Silent

Nice John, and you talk about other people acting childish.

Do you have any additional suggestions for the the new format? There are over 350 comments posted on this circle jerk, and many of them are yours.

When I filter through this pile of bullshit looking for the suggestion and ideas that have been posted, how many of them are going to be yours?

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Expert

Bruce is right. We have this mod situation usually during Meta articles, where everyone is involved. In that case, a mod may moderate (in purple), if they are not in that thread of the discussion (uninvolved in the topic). If there is another mod on line and not involved in the discussion, they should do the moderation. This is the only exception to the rule. Also, please note, as I said before, I am not considered involved in this discussion, other than to add information.

Petey Coober
Freshman Silent

We've noticed . How long do you think you can ignore it without consequences ?

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Expert

This isn't supposed to be a slam fest that has to conducted in HD.

It's supposed to be a 'suggestion box' for ideas and suggestions the members would like to have considered for the new site construction currently underway.

Agreed. This should have been a civil discussion with ideas for the new site and or questions. There is absolutely no need to be snarky here.

Petey Coober
Freshman Silent

Since Perrie doesn't seem to be interested in doing anything about this it means that things said to you are also unrestricted by rules ...

Jerry Verlinger
Freshman Silent

No need to filter through it.

(?!) Do you think your suggestions are the only ones we are looking for??!!

So you emailed your suggestions to Perrie.......

You troll through this discussion looking for people to spar with, exasperating the rhetoric, yet you can't see fit to participate in the discussion which was designed to introduce new ideas so they can be discussed by the other members?

Aren't you special!

Jerry Verlinger
Freshman Silent

Maybe it's time you boys and girls give up the big boy and big girl panties, and don a pair of Depends.

And maybe it's time for you to don your new uniform as NewsTalkers Agitator-in-Chief.

Jerry Verlinger
Freshman Silent

Bruce is right.

Sorry, just had to look at that sentence in isolation.

Me too, it certainly doesn't help.

Uncle Bruce
Professor Quiet

It's not new.

Uncle Bruce
Professor Quiet

It does have a nice ring to it, doesn't it.

Professor Guide

It twirls my skirt up right over my head.

Jerry Verlinger
Freshman Silent

It does have a nice ring to it, doesn't it.

Yeah, too bad it isn't 'the ring of truth'

Jerry Verlinger
Freshman Silent

It's not new.

'scuse me. I thought it was newbecauseof that additional stripe you wereawardedas a result ofyour performance on this thread.

Uncle Bruce
Professor Quiet

Tighten your tourniquet Jerry.

Uncle Bruce
Professor Quiet

Here's a suggestion:

Authors of seeds should be prohibited from going back to an article after 72 hours of non activity and commenting in it to get it back to the front page.

Like our friend Jerry here likes to do.

Uncle Bruce
Professor Quiet

My point exactly.

Nowhere Man
Junior Guide

Well aware of it brother, been there done that.

But your proposal does beg the question of the rule now doesn't it?

Moderators cannot moderate articles wherein they have commented, except when there is no one else around.

Then they can.

Who decides who and when?

What's the point of the rule in the first place?

Turns an enforceable rule into an unenforceable one.

Just MPOV.... Grin.gif

A. Macarthur
Professor Guide

What's the point of the rule in the first place?

The rule exists to prevent a conflict-of-interests situation; if a moderator comments in a thread (as a member), i.e. expresses an opinion/position -- then subsequently deletes comments of other members, some will possibly construe that as pursuing a personal agenda.

Professor Guide

But Mac, if a moderatoris not able toput asidetheir personal beliefslong enoughtofacilitate a fair and balanced discussion, then perhaps they have no business being a moderator. What's to stop them fromincorporating theirbias when moderating an article in which they have not participated?

A. Macarthur
Professor Guide

But Mac, if a moderatoris not able toput asidetheir personal beliefslong enoughtofacilitate a fair and balanced discussion, then perhaps they have no business being a moderator.

It's not the moderator's objectivity so much as those who will call any moderation that is adverse to them personally, as "biased."

Jerry Verlinger
Freshman Silent

Here's a suggestion:

Authors of seeds should be prohibited from going back to an article after 72 hours of non activity and commenting in it to get it back to the front page.

Like our friend Jerry here likes to do.

There are over 380 comments posted here, this article hasn't been idle for 72 minutes, let alone 72 hours. And yeah, I'm enjoying myself no end filtering through all the bullshit and petty infighting you perpetrated here Bruce.

So here's a better idea;

Commenters on seeds stay on topic and not act like assholes!

Jerry Verlinger
Freshman Silent

I don't know why this article was revived either. The comment that brought it back was totally superfluous.

Revived?! When did this 380+ comment thread have be "revived"?! It's never been dormant! It hasn't been particularly productive given the ratio of new ideas vs the number of post, but it certainly has not been dormant.

Btw, how do you know what comment brought me back the the thread? I have email alerts regarding comments that were responding to other comments posted pages back from here.

Jerry Verlinger
Freshman Silent

Is annoying, unless it's brought up again by someone other than the seeder - at which point I'd think it fair game (unless the seeder said they'd get back to someone on something...).

That's what usually happens, but there is alway going to be someone that accuses an author ofpostinga comment only for the purpose of bringing the piece back to the top.

Tuesday of this week Cerenkov and Jonathan Livingston Pigeon-Poo posting comments on an article I seeded in November of 2013 .... go figure.

Jerry Verlinger
Freshman Silent

Jerry, you had 10 articles on the board last night and only two of them were less than 5 days old. Most of them were a week or two old. Time to move on.

You're full of shit John, I don't have any 10 articles active, even if I did, who the fuck are you, the new 'articles on the front page counter'?

Anyway Perrie has stated numerous times that there is no time requirements for responding to comments.

I had comments I had not responded to backed up and I responded to them all at once, putting a number of my stuff on the FP at the same tim. (I counted 5 this morning)

At the time of this post RIO has 5 you and XX have 3 each and I have 2, the rest are 1 each by 7 separate members.

The TTT system is one of the best and most unique features of this site. In the past I have seen you defending the exact same kind of criticism you are now placing on me. What's up with that?!

I hope it's not because you're bent out of shapebecausesomeone has more stuff on thefront page than you. If that's the case, you need to totalkto RIO and XXJ.

Jerry Verlinger
Freshman Silent

OK people, there have been 387 comments made on this thread, a few of them made by members actually wanting to contribute something to be considered in the new build for NewsTalkers revision under way.

Those 387 comments were posted by a total of 25 people, including Perrie and myself. Unfortunately there was more petty in-fighting and kibitzing than there was productive input.

Most of the unproductive nonsense was posted by maybe 5 or 6 people. The rest of the 25 actually made suggestions, or commented on suggestions.

Anyway, at this point there doesn't seem to be anybody with anything new to suggest, so I'm closing the thread.

Anyone that has any new ideas can post them in the comment box of the NewsTalkers Community group , we will see that they get passed on to Perrie.

Thanks for your participation,
Jerry Verlinger
Co-Administrator The NewsTalkers Community Group