╌>

A Note on Flagging

Category:  meta

Via:  dowser  •  7 years ago  •  107 comments

A Note on Flagging

raceway flag.jpg Some of our members have been going a tad crazy with the flagging button.   You cannot flag something just because you don't like it-- it has to be a Code of Conduct violation .

We are allowed to insult public figures, (like Hilary Clinton and Donald Trump).  We are allowed to insult groups of people, (like Conservatives and/or Liberals).  We are allowed to insult smaller groups of people, (like the KKK, Westboro Baptist Church. and protestors)-- all in accordance with the Code of Conduct .  

What we cannot do is insult each other.  Period.  We can not call each other names, we can not make truly disparaging remarks, and we can't stalk, harass, or otherwise bother each other.  THAT is a Code of Conduct violation.  

So, before you flag something, make sure it is a real CoC violation, take a deep breath, think clearly, and then, if you're sure it is a CoC violation, you can flag it.

Perrie is looking into temporarily removing flagging privileges from some of our more prolific flaggers, just because they flag everything.  And I mean everything.  Remember:

You can't flag something just because you don't like it, and 

It has to be a CoC violation.

Just a head's up.

We truly want you to report CoC violations -- but many of the flags we receive are frivolous, time consuming, and downright silly.

Happy Commenting!

Thank you for coming by!

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet
link   seeder  Dowser    7 years ago

Just a head's up to the membership.

user image
Freshman Silent
link     replied to  Dowser   7 years ago

LOL,, can I flag This as Frivolous?

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet
link   seeder  Dowser  replied to    7 years ago

Sometimes, I wish there were a reason box, or something...  winking

user image
Freshman Silent

09/09/17 01:53:50PM @dowser:

Sometimes, I wish there were a reason box, or something...  winking

E.A  LOL and May I please have a Negative Voting Choice, like I said elsewhere,

what is an anode without a Cathode

What is Yin without a Yan?

what is Up without a Down?

So I want a Downvote!!

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet

We used to have a down thumb, but it caused ill feelings and ill will.  Our decision, as moderators, was to not have it, to keep the membership from being quite so vituperative.  

user image
Freshman Silent

09/09/17 01:58:00PM @dowser:

We used to have a down thumb, but it caused ill feelings and ill will.  Our decision, as moderators, was to not have it, to keep the membership from being quite so vituperative.  

E.A  ahh that that like an unruly child that does not want to know what CHORES have to yet be done, so removing the LIST accomplishes what?

user image
Freshman Silent
link     replied to    7 years ago
vi¦tu¦pera|tive
[vɪˈtjuːp(ə)rətɪv, vʌɪˈtjuːp(ə)rətɪv]
ADJECTIVE
  1. bitter and abusive:
    "a vituperative outburst"
    synonyms: disparaging · denigratory · belittling · diminishing · slighting · 
    [more]

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet

To me, the word seems to fit...

user image
Freshman Silent

09/09/17 02:05:34PM @dowser:

To me, the word seems to fit...

E.A Yes perfectly, but what it also indicates that one surrenders to the unruly to accomplish what?

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet

The sole use of emoticons doesn't really contribute to the conversation.  This is a discussion site!  thumbs up

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet

Well, it was carefully thought out.  As you can see, it doesn't do much good, but at least it doesn't add to the general snark...

user image
Freshman Silent

09/09/17 02:03:20PM @dowser:

Well, it was carefully thought out.  As you can see, it doesn't do much good, but at least it doesn't add to the general snark...

E.A See above.

Surrendering to the ones that do not want to see the Negative,  does not built or engender a " Positive World " Closing ones eyes to reality does not change it!

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet

Your opinion is duly noted.

user image
Freshman Silent

09/09/17 02:12:34PM @dowser:

Your opinion is duly noted.

E.A Thank you.

And you might have once again also notice the miscommunication and the problems created when one can not know  what comment was meant for whom/when/where, A solution was put forward, I use that " solution " but what about the rest? so is a " solution a solution "?

user image
Freshman Silent
link     replied to    7 years ago

END

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
link   XXJefferson51  replied to    7 years ago

I was responding to you EA.  I felt that the 💩 posts that led to this meta article were worth vomiting over and I saw and supported your humor in your initial comment.  

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
link   XXJefferson51  replied to  Dowser   7 years ago

The removal of it caused at least as much if not more ill will overall.  But the left leaning were made happy so all is well... 

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
link   Raven Wing  replied to  XXJefferson51   7 years ago

The 'Left leaning' here on NT are not worse than the "Right Leaning', both sides contribute to the hate and discontent and animosity here on NT. So you constantly blaming the "left leaning" members only leads to more hate and discontent. No member here is better or worse than any other member, and you are just as bad as those you constantly denigrate who you feel don't meet your political views and continually spew your very biased and unfounded accusations.

Please do flag me if you if you can't handle the truth, I am more than willing to take a leave of absence from NT. But, I make no apology for my words. Enough is ENOUGH!

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
link   XXJefferson51  replied to  Raven Wing   7 years ago

I was talking here exclusively about the thumbs down issue.  My post wasn't about liberals in general or on some seed, post, or meta.  Almost all of the pressure to remove the thumbs downoption here came from our more left leaning members.  Most of the rest didn't care one way or the other or supported keeping it.  In my opinion the ones wanting to keep it outnumbered those wanting to be rid of it leaving out the ambivalents of which at the time I was one though I became a strong advocate for keeping it once a couple who won't be named began advocating for its removal.  Again, my post was about the left in relation to the thumbs up issue only and I'm not the one here who tried to broad brush a group.  The 

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
link   Raven Wing  replied to  XXJefferson51   7 years ago

Sorry, but, you're excuse rings hallow, as you constantly refer to those who don't meet you own political views as 'Left Leaning', 'Progressive', or 'Liberals' in a demeaning manner, no matter what the topic is about.

And how do you know for a fact that all those who were against the thumbs down issue were left leaning members? Did they all admit it to you? Do you know them all personally to know their true political associations? The answer is likely no, so all you are doing is making broad brush accusations about members without knowing the facts of their political affiliations.

My statement stands as is. Flag me if you wish, 'cause in the words of Rhett Butler, "Frankly my dear, I don't give a damn!"

End of conversation.

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
link   XXJefferson51  replied to  Raven Wing   7 years ago

While I stand by everything I said before, if you are calling for an impasse, I will agree to it.  

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide

We used to have one until some of our more progressive members whined, squeaky wheeled, and used meta until they got their way.  There is a thumbs down emoticon that can be used as the sole response to something that would and has at times substituted as well as one on the key board of apple mobile devices.  

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet
link   seeder  Dowser  replied to  XXJefferson51   7 years ago

I must admit that sometimes, I get tired of seeing you vomit on yourself.  If you disapprove, then you should state WHY you disapprove.  The use of emoticons doesn't really promote the discussion, rather it delivers a summary judgement without the ability to rebut the comment.  

Do you feel picked upon?  That's not my intent.

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
again, my response was not to to you nor directed at you.  It was in support of what another member posted and was in response to him.  

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet

OK, thanks.

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide

But why did you initially jump to the conclusion you did about me before my clarification?  Vomiting on myself?  Really?  

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet

First, the comment was a stand alone comment-- not an "answer" to a comment.  Check the indent.  Second, you use an emoticon frequently that has a face vomiting green stuff.  I didn't make an assumption-- there is evidence for it.  I had no idea what your comment was referencing, since it was fully spaced on the page-- not indented as a reply.  It is not my intention to belittle or bother you in any way.  

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide

applausethumbs uplaughing dude

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet

This is laughable?  How?

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide

It wasn't a reply to you or about anything you said.  tough guy

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet

I'm sorry, but I'm confused.  What did you mean?

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
link   XXJefferson51    7 years ago

I didn't flag either the man stepping on Trump with a pile of crap 💩 on his head nor did I do so on the one with the dog 🐶 taking a crap 💩 on him.  That said, perhaps some more recent arrivals were offended by it and flagged it as offensive or maybe as a substitute for the thumbs down vote that was on the other site and that we used to have before one group of members got its will imposed upon the rest of us.  

magnoliaave
Sophomore Quiet
link   magnoliaave  replied to  XXJefferson51   7 years ago

@redding-shasta-jefferson-usa

They both were totally inappropriate, but like Dowser said......it is alright along as it is not a member.

I hate emoticons!!!!!

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
link   JohnRussell  replied to  magnoliaave   7 years ago

We have had people here post countless offensive pictures of the Obamas and Hilary Clinton.  I don't recall either of you expressing displeasure then.

magnoliaave
Sophomore Quiet
link   magnoliaave  replied to  JohnRussell   7 years ago

@johnrussell

Actually, if it was H. Clinton you wouldn't hear a peep out of me about being inappropriate.  With Pres. Obama, I was not here at NT.  I was over at that other place....NV.

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
link   XXJefferson51  replied to  JohnRussell   7 years ago
And if there were an article pro Hillary or Barack and someone posted picks of them being stepped on with crap on their head or a dog taking a crap on them and it were flagged for being racist or misogynistic by some who liked the original seed, would we have seen this meta article about it or a purple pen post targeting those offended by Barack or Hillary getting crapped on or stepped on?

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet

It isn't a CoC violation, Redding-Shasta.  So nothing would have happened.

pat wilson
Professor Participates
link   pat wilson  replied to  XXJefferson51   7 years ago

And if there were an article pro Hillary or Barack and someone posted picks of them being stepped on with crap on their head

Another false equivalency, there is no comparison between Barack or even Hillary with Trump. If the (shitty) shoe fits, wear it.

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
link   XXJefferson51  replied to  pat wilson   7 years ago

Another do as I say, not as I do type of comment.  Of course there is an equivalence here.  If it's ok to post a dog crapping on Trump or Trump having a pile of poop 💩 on his head with someone about to step on him, then it would have been just as ok for one to do the same to obama.  Though had I stooped  to such a low then, there would have been a meta about my "hateful" content ruining the site and poisoning its atmosphere.  With the shoe on the other foot so to speak, it's those upset by the hate the other way being castigated for improper flagging.  

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet

That's not true, Redding.  I'm an equal opportunity kind of moderator.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
link   Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Dowser   7 years ago

I'll back you up on that Dowser. It's a thankless job and both sides say we are picking on them. 

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
link   Buzz of the Orient    7 years ago

I posted an article a while back that I had seen on Linkedin about the use and purpose of emoticons. They simply demonstrate the adage that "A picture is worth a thousand words".  That may be sufficient excuse for a "thumbs up" emoticon, but IMO the "thumbs down" was and is not as clear as using a verbal reason for it.

sixpick
Professor Quiet
link   sixpick  replied to  Buzz of the Orient   7 years ago

He had better pay attention to what she is doing or it is going to be a long night!

thumbs up jessica alba thumbs down the lonely island akon GIF