╌>

What is the best Science Fiction series ever?

Category:  Entertainment

By:  gordy327  •  7 years ago  •  234 comments

For the science fiction buff geek , here is a list of some science fiction series that has appeared on television, both past and present. For this list, I have only included live action sci-fi series that appeared on TV. So no movies, comic book stories, anime, ect.. The focus is on series which involved aliens and/or space travel. Travelling between universes, dimensions, realities, ect., is allowed. But TV series that were not meant to be science fiction, but rather contain sci-fi elements will not be considered. Also, no animated (computer or traditional) or anthology series. So sorry, you will not see ALF, Twilight Zone, or Star Trek: The Animated Series on this list (even though those were good shows too). Also, superhero based shows are off the list. Each series must also have had at least one full season of shows or is confirmed to have a full season. So no miniseries only. If you did not see a show on this list but think it should be considered, let me know. Bear in mind, given the sheer number of science fiction series that have been on TV over the years, this is probably an incomplete list. So let me know which series you liked best. Please, try to pick just one "best" series from the list. Based on your replies, I might try to narrow the list down to a Top 5 or 10 list. Thank you and enjoy. I bow to you

1. Star Trek: The original Series
  2. Star Trek: The Next Generation
  3. Star Trek: Deep Space 9
  4. Star Trek: Voyager
  5. Babylon 5
  6. Star Trek: Enterprise
  7. Battlestar Galactica/Galactica 1980
  8. Battlestar Galactica (reboot)
  9. Buck Rogers in the 25th Century
  10. Firefly
  11. The Orville
  12. Quantum Leap
  13. Sliders
  14. V: The Series (1984)
  15. V: the Series (2009)
  16. Voyagers
  17. Space Precinct
  18. War of the Worlds
  19. Alien Nation
  20. Land of the Giants
  21. Time Trax
  22. Earth 2
  23. Space: Above and Beyond
  24. Gene Roddenberry's Andromeda
  25. Lexx
  26. Stargate SG1
  27. Stargate Atlantis
  28. Farscape
  29. Flash Gordon
  30. Earth: Final Conflict

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Bluestride
Freshman Silent
1  Bluestride    7 years ago
Babylon 5. Hands down.

Bluestride
Freshman Silent
1.1  Bluestride  replied to  Bluestride @1    7 years ago
I would add that as far as novels/series are concerned I am a Big Fan of the Honor Harrington Series written by David Weber. I know it is nto what you asked but, I love the series so much I had to mention it.

Gordy327
Professor Expert
1.1.1  author  Gordy327  replied to  Bluestride @1.1    7 years ago
I am a Big Fan of the Honor Harrington Series written by David Weber.

I like sci-fi stories and novels too. Although most of what I have read are Star Trek novels.  I do have a Jules Verne book I've been meaning to read too. But thanks for the mention. I'll have o look into the Honor Harrington series.

Babylon 5. Hands down.

A good show and a classic to be sure. Hands down though?  That, I'm not so sure. Although, I thought Cmdr. Ivonova was hot. it's too bad she left the series in the last season. She was a great character.

Bluestride
Freshman Silent
1.1.2  Bluestride  replied to  Gordy327 @1.1.1    7 years ago
The Honor Harrington series has 16 or so novels in the main plotline of the series but, if you count parrallel novel/series', short stories and other sid novels there are probably 30 novels. The first book, On Basalisk Station is good but, the series does not really pick up until the third novel or so. I would add that the Author, David Weber, is a big fan of the Age of Sail and the protagonist, Honor Harrington, is modeled after Horatio Hornblower. He is also a tech freak so they sometimes read like a Tom Clancy novel.

Gordy327
Professor Expert
1.1.3  author  Gordy327  replied to  Bluestride @1.1.2    7 years ago

Thanks for the info.

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
1.1.5  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  Gordy327 @1.1.1    7 years ago

Firefly followed by Earth 2!

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
1.1.6  Vic Eldred  replied to  Gordy327 @1.1.1    6 years ago

You may not be old enough to remember "The Outer Limits" (early 60's).  Each show began with the line  "There is nothing wrong with your television set."

Image result for the outer limits

Overall it wasn't that good, but a few episodes were memorable

CB
Professor Principal
1.1.7  CB  replied to  Vic Eldred @1.1.6    6 years ago

I wonder. . . . Gordy, DO you remember the television show: The Outer Limits? I used to lay on the floor at night and watch it and wonder why am I doing this to myself: frightful. Then, off to bed!

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
1.1.8  Vic Eldred  replied to  CB @1.1.7    6 years ago

Lol....At the time I thought it was one of those TV shows that popped up in the wake of the huge success of "the Twilight Zone". It was all about us kids. We had it all back then.

CB
Professor Principal
1.1.9  CB  replied to  Vic Eldred @1.1.8    6 years ago

Hmm. In all these years I have never bothered to consider looking back at any one of The Outer Limits episodes. I will take time out to check it out. Nearly everything "retro and beyond' seems to be running on [the] Youtube platform.  I wonder. . . .

Will I be frightened all over again? Will I laugh at it? Will I simply find it unremarkable? 'Back in the day,' in my area: After The Outer Limits show, the television channel signed off!

See the source image

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
1.1.10  Vic Eldred  replied to  CB @1.1.9    6 years ago

The funny part is that was the only time we would be frightened by that stuff - when we were very young. Nothing really scares me now, but when I was 6 or 7 that stuff was a thrill. I never really got into what came after. Never watched Star Trek, on TV or at the movies. 

CB
Professor Principal
1.1.11  CB  replied to  Vic Eldred @1.1.10    6 years ago

Vic! That's interesting. It seems The Outer Limits was Sci-Fi intent on bending psyches, at least for the young adults in the audience. Begs the question: We, kids may not have been the target audience. (Hmm. Smile.) Star Trek and other Sci-fi shows never warped my unconscious mind. Okay, maybe.

TheOuterLimits-Screenshot-old.jpg

There is nothing wrong with your television set. Do not attempt to adjust the picture. We are controlling transmission. If we wish to make it louder, we will bring up the volume. If we wish to make it softer, we will tune it to a whisper. We will control the horizontal. We will control the vertical. We can roll the image, make it flutter. We can change the focus to a soft blur or sharpen it to crystal clarity. For the next hour, sit quietly and we will control all that you see and hear. We repeat: there is nothing wrong with your television set. You are about to participate in a great adventure. You are about to experience the awe and mystery which reaches from the inner mind to – The Outer Limits.*

* Wikipedia.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
1.1.12  Vic Eldred  replied to  CB @1.1.11    6 years ago

I think you have something there

Spikegary
Junior Quiet
1.1.13  Spikegary  replied to  Ed-NavDoc @1.1.5    6 years ago

Firefly.jpg Actually, I started re-watching the Firefly Series last night (nothing worthwhile on broadcast TV). 

Gordy327
Professor Expert
2  author  Gordy327    7 years ago

For the record, I have watched each of these shows to varying degrees at one point or another, with the notable exception being the V 2009 series. Personally, I'm a trekkie. So my vote will go to Star Trek: TNG.

Skrekk
Sophomore Participates
2.1  Skrekk  replied to  Gordy327 @2    7 years ago

I grew up on the original series but I think my favorite is Enterprise.

Gordy327
Professor Expert
2.1.1  author  Gordy327  replied to  Skrekk @2.1    7 years ago

I generally liked Enterprise. But I think they missed some opportunities to really make the show golden and really get into the pre-Federation years. It would have been interesting to see the development of the Daedalus class starship, especially with the Earth-Romulan War.

CB
Professor Principal
2.1.2  CB  replied to  Gordy327 @2.1.1    6 years ago

Star Trek: Enterprise.

I will give it best theme song: Faith of the Heart . Damn! That song 'haunts' me with its beauty. I think, I know, I could not watch the series, because its "mission" to go back and come forward again detached it from reality. The new cast tried valiantly to remake the franchise (for the 'stockholders') but characters like Kirk, Picard, had already threaded and sew shut the early centuries. It just could not hold my interest—especially when the interpersonal  sexually charges scenes began to appear. It felt desperate (staged) to me.

Gordy327
Professor Expert
2.1.3  author  Gordy327  replied to  CB @2.1.2    6 years ago
I will give it best theme song: Faith of the Heart .

It was the first Trek theme to have lyrics. 

I think, I know, I could not watch the series, because its "mission" to go back and come forward again detached it from reality.

The show was rather underrated. It definitely had lots of potential. Sadly, much of it was wasted.

The new cast tried valiantly to remake the franchise (for the 'stockholders') but characters like Kirk, Picard, had already threaded and sew shut the early centuries.

Archer, Trip, and T'pol just didn't have the same "feel" (for lack of a better (term) as the trio of Kirk, Spock, and McCoy did.

It just could not hold my interest—especially when the interpersonal  sexually charges scenes began to appear. It felt desperate (staged) to me

Well, sex sells. Let's face it, Kirk boned every alien girl that he encountered.

CB
Professor Principal
2.1.4  CB  replied to  Gordy327 @2.1.3    6 years ago

Kirk certainly "sewed up" the sexy alright! So much so that, Archer just could not cut 'it.' It is hard to recast a strong futuristic franchise and its future minded watcher base backward and downward. Mind you, I wanted ST: Enterprise to work (for me), because I felt the franchise had pushed my imagination so far ahead with the borg 'franchise' that I could not imagine much more beyond 'fluid space' beings as a realistic foe portrayal winnable against by humanity. I mean where does 's credulity start to be stretched beyond belief?

Honestly, I thought putting a familiar face such as Scott Bakula's in the lead role, rather than a guest starring role. was a deficit. For me, he was too familiar (too famous) from another era. It was like selecting "Mulder" from the hit series, "X-files," or Thomas Magnum (moustache and all) from "Magnum P. I." for the lead of a brand-new serious sci-fi effort!

Gordy327
Professor Expert
2.1.5  author  Gordy327  replied to  CB @2.1.4    6 years ago
Honestly, I thought putting a familiar face such as Scott Bakula's in the lead role, rather than a guest starring role. was a deficit.

He was good for the role. Unfortunately, the story telling didn't always work in his favor.

CB
Professor Principal
2.1.6  CB  replied to  Gordy327 @2.1.3    6 years ago
t was the first Trek theme to have lyrics. 

That's a good point! I remember how that song caught me off-guard for its singing too that first show. Later on, I grew to hmm (almost cry now) when I hear it. (Tear-jerker.)

Gordy! Hmm. You ARE sharp!

Gordy327
Professor Expert
2.1.7  author  Gordy327  replied to  CB @2.1.6    6 years ago
That's a good point! I remember how that song caught me off-guard for its singing too that first show

The images of the various tools and people of discovery also seemed quite appropriate.

Gordy! Hmm. You ARE sharp!

Thank you. You are too kind.

Freefaller
Professor Quiet
3  Freefaller    7 years ago

Hmmm gotta admit I haven't seen of the majority of the shows listed so my opinion has only limited value but back in the day I liked Andromeda (mostly for the alien girl with the tail) so that's got my vote.  

Gordy327
Professor Expert
3.1  author  Gordy327  replied to  Freefaller @3    7 years ago
I liked Andromeda (mostly for the alien girl with the tail) so that's got my vote.

Ah yes, Trance Gemini. She was a hottie too. Sort of the innocent galactic girl-next-door type.

Freefaller
Professor Quiet
3.1.1  Freefaller  replied to  Gordy327 @3.1    7 years ago

Lol , that's it exactly.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
4  Trout Giggles    7 years ago

Travelers

It came out this past year on Netflix. I can't wait for the next season.

Does Continuum count? It was about time travel.

Gordy327
Professor Expert
4.1  author  Gordy327  replied to  Trout Giggles @4    7 years ago
It came out this past year on Netflix. I can't wait for the next season.

I haven't seen that yet. I'll have to check it out.

Does Continuum count? It was about time travel.

Ok, fair enough.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
4.1.1  Trout Giggles  replied to  Gordy327 @4.1    7 years ago

In case you haven't figured it out already...I'm a sucker for a good time travel story

Phoenyx13
Sophomore Silent
4.1.2  Phoenyx13  replied to  Trout Giggles @4.1.1    7 years ago
In case you haven't figured it out already...I'm a sucker for a good time travel story

Doctor Who ? 

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
4.1.3  Trout Giggles  replied to  Phoenyx13 @4.1.2    7 years ago

Sadly, I have never watched an episode of Dr Who.

Gordy327
Professor Expert
4.1.4  author  Gordy327  replied to  Trout Giggles @4.1.1    7 years ago

I don't mind the occasional time travel story. As long as it's a good one. DS9's "Trials and Tribblations" anyone?

Phoenyx13
Sophomore Silent
4.1.5  Phoenyx13  replied to  Trout Giggles @4.1.3    7 years ago
Sadly, I have never watched an episode of Dr Who.

it's all time travel and dimensions at times too.. very interesting and humorous (depending on the Doctor lol).

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
4.1.6  Trout Giggles  replied to  Phoenyx13 @4.1.5    7 years ago

I'm gonna be laid up for about a week....is Dr Who on Netflix or Hulu?

Phoenyx13
Sophomore Silent
4.1.7  Phoenyx13  replied to  Trout Giggles @4.1.6    7 years ago

I'm gonna be laid up for about a week....is Dr Who on Netflix or Hulu?

i honestly don't know (i get the seasons on DVD) but from this article.. looks like neither :(

you'll have to get Amazon Prime according to that article.

Rex Block
Freshman Silent
4.1.9  Rex Block  replied to  Trout Giggles @4.1.6    7 years ago

It runs on BBC America if that station is part of your provider package. Mine is Direct TV and I believe you can do an onscreen search on it.  It alternates with the various Star Trek series, but can't remember the days it runs. A free listings of the channel offerings is TitanTV.com

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
4.1.11  sandy-2021492  replied to  Gordy327 @4.1.4    7 years ago
DS9's "Trials and Tribblations" anyone?

Yes, please.  I loved how they handled that.

And "City on the Edge of Forever".  One of few times I thought William Shatner actually could act his way out of a paper bag.

nightwalker
Sophomore Silent
4.1.12  nightwalker  replied to  Phoenyx13 @4.1.2    7 years ago

Doctor Who, with Tom Baker as the best Doctor. Firefly (it never, never went as planned) the Original Star Trek, and Voyager.

That's a good start.

TTGA
Professor Silent
4.1.13  TTGA  replied to  Trout Giggles @4.1.6    6 years ago

Not sure, but I know that The Orville is on Hulu.  Do not watch it if the reason for being laid up involves abdominal sutures, though.  The laughter will bust them wide open.

CB
Professor Principal
4.2  CB  replied to  Trout Giggles @4    6 years ago

I love travelers on Netflix!

Rex Block
Freshman Silent
5  Rex Block    7 years ago

Any of the Star Trek series. The original series is my favorite because it was so ahead of its time. The sets were cheesy and the stories were sometime corny, but it was magical to watch...and retains that same wonder in reruns....all the series do. ST-TNG and Voyager are pretty close, but I give the nod to Voyager because it was uniquely challenged by being so far from the Alpha Quadrant, and comin upon a never ending series of new and villainous alien species.  Bringing in Seven of Nine was brilliant, she added a whole new energy and direction to the show. Patrick Stewart was another bit of excelletn casting in TNG...what you would expect a Starship Captain to be. It appears BBC American has the rights to these series and keeps running them.

The Twilight Zone had bits of science fiction at times, but is still ranks as classic early television, thanks to Rod Serling's writing and casting. Wonder what would Roddenberry and Serling would have talked about if they could have magically met up.

Gordy327
Professor Expert
5.1  author  Gordy327  replied to  Rex Block @5    7 years ago
Any of the Star Trek series.

I'm with you on that.

The original series is my favorite because it was so ahead of its time.

I'm fond of TOS too. It's a very close second on my favorites list. TNG took the charm of TOS and improved on it.

The sets were cheesy and the stories were sometime corny, but it was magical to watch...and retains that same wonder in reruns....all the series do.

Imagine what they could have done if they had a bigger budget for the show?

Bringing in Seven of Nine was brilliant, she added a whole new energy and direction to the show.

Among 'other' things. Wink

The Twilight Zone had bits of science fiction at times, but is still ranks as classic early television,

I like The TZ too. But I didn't include it because it's an anthology series rather than a true sci-fi.

arkpdx
Professor Quiet
5.1.1  arkpdx  replied to  Gordy327 @5.1    7 years ago

Bringing in Seven of Nine was brilliant, she added a whole new energy and direction to the show.

Yes she did have her good......aaahhh!.......points

Gordy327
Professor Expert
5.1.2  author  Gordy327  replied to  arkpdx @5.1.1    7 years ago
Yes she did have her good......aaahhh!.......points

Why yes. Yes she did. Although, I wouldn't say they were...ah...pointy. LOL

arkpdx
Professor Quiet
5.1.3  arkpdx  replied to  Gordy327 @5.1.2    7 years ago

Yeah I guess you could say Seven of Nine was a well rounded crewmember. 

Rex Block
Freshman Silent
5.1.4  Rex Block  replied to  arkpdx @5.1.3    7 years ago

And she also had a lot of sass. I like sass.

Gordy327
Professor Expert
5.1.7  author  Gordy327  replied to  arkpdx @5.1.3    7 years ago
Yeah I guess you could say Seven of Nine was a well rounded crewmember.

Well rounded in all the right ways.

Gordy327
Professor Expert
5.1.8  author  Gordy327  replied to    7 years ago
And her uniform really showed off her 'sass' in a complimentary way.

Oh, it showed off everything in a complimentary way. Very...complimentary.

Rex Block
Freshman Silent
5.1.9  Rex Block  replied to  Gordy327 @5.1.7    7 years ago

Jeri Ryan was indirectly the cause of Obama being elected....to go a tad off topic.

arkpdx
Professor Quiet
5.1.10  arkpdx  replied to  Rex Block @5.1.9    7 years ago

Only because obama played dirty politics but then he is a democrat and a liberal. 

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
5.1.11  Trout Giggles  replied to  arkpdx @5.1.10    7 years ago

You guys just can't stop injecting politics into every thing

Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו
Junior Participates
5.1.12  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו  replied to  Trout Giggles @5.1.11    7 years ago

You guys just can't stop injecting politics into every thing

It's their Kultur Kampf imperative. 

arkpdx
Professor Quiet
5.1.13  arkpdx  replied to  Trout Giggles @5.1.11    7 years ago

Do you want to be the pot or the kettle. 

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
5.1.15  Trout Giggles  replied to  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו @5.1.12    7 years ago

Is that Kingon?

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
5.1.16  Trout Giggles  replied to  arkpdx @5.1.13    7 years ago

What the fuck are you talking about? I don't inject politics into wonderful conversations such as this.

arkpdx
Professor Quiet
5.1.17  arkpdx  replied to  Trout Giggles @5.1.16    7 years ago

Oh please. I remember you from newsvine. When are you going to bring in race?

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
5.1.18  Trout Giggles  replied to  arkpdx @5.1.17    7 years ago

then don't talk to me

charger 383
Professor Silent
6  charger 383    7 years ago

Babylon 5

Gordy327
Professor Expert
6.1  author  Gordy327  replied to  charger 383 @6    7 years ago

That's 2 for B5 right now.

Nowhere Man
Junior Guide
6.1.1  Nowhere Man  replied to  Gordy327 @6.1    7 years ago

+3

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
8  Trout Giggles    7 years ago

I want to put The Outer Limits on the list, but it's an anthology series

Gordy327
Professor Expert
8.1  author  Gordy327  replied to  Trout Giggles @8    7 years ago
I want to put The Outer Limits on the list,

The older 1960's series or the updated 90's series?

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
8.1.1  Trout Giggles  replied to  Gordy327 @8.1    7 years ago

Both would work. The original had more aliens than the re-boot.

Gordy327
Professor Expert
8.1.2  author  Gordy327  replied to  Trout Giggles @8.1.1    7 years ago
Both would work.

I feel the same way about the Twilight Zone series.

nightwalker
Sophomore Silent
8.2  nightwalker  replied to  Trout Giggles @8    7 years ago

"One step beyond" is like that too.

When I was a kid, the folks would put me in the adjacent bed room, and then watch "Twilight zone," "the Outer limits" or "One Step Beyond."  I can tell you, they were much scarier when you were that young (and fully stocked with a good imagination) and you could only hear them.

Old Hermit
Sophomore Silent
9  Old Hermit    7 years ago

Over the years I've enjoyed almost all of the shows on your list Gordy, nice job.

My personal taste would put "Firefly" & "Farscape" higher up, maybe 5th & 6th or better.

Am I wrong in thinking that these are all American shows?

What about the British offerings to the genre?

Surly Dr. Who, (and the spinoffs of the Who universe like " Torchwood " ), would rank high on any fans list. Even the underrated "Red Dwarf" would get on my list.

Red Dwarf - Storyline

An unambitious slob from Liverpool has been awakened from a high-tech stasis chamber 3 million years in the future to find he may be one of the last humans alive. Hopelessly lost in space, this crew of mostly sad-act bachelors kill time and share adventure aboard the mining ship Red Dwarf.

Gordy327
Professor Expert
9.1  author  Gordy327  replied to  Old Hermit @9    7 years ago
Over the years I've enjoyed almost all of the shows on your list Gordy, nice job.

Thank you. I'm glad you enjoyed it.

My personal taste would put "Firefly" & "Farscape" higher up, maybe 5th & 6th or better.

The list is in random order. Not according to favorites. Perhaps I should have made that clear? I might do a "top favorites" list later on.

Am I wrong in thinking that these are all American shows?

I believe they are. Some are also Canadian produced.

What about the British offerings to the genre?

I considered it. But I decided to keep things "close to home."

Surly Dr. Who,

Surely.

Old Hermit
Sophomore Silent
9.1.1  Old Hermit  replied to  Gordy327 @9.1    7 years ago

Surly Dr. Who,

Surely.

Ha!

Thanks Gordy.

Tried to go back and fix it but the update had timed out.

Phoenyx13
Sophomore Silent
9.2  Phoenyx13  replied to  Old Hermit @9    7 years ago

Doctor Who and Torchwood ! la de da applause thumbs up

MrFrost
Professor Expert
9.2.1  MrFrost  replied to  Phoenyx13 @9.2    7 years ago
Doctor Who

I know a lot of people that are huge fans of the series but it never hooked me in I guess. It's not bad, it just never appealed much to me. 

cjcold
Professor Quiet
9.4  cjcold  replied to  Old Hermit @9    7 years ago

I'd put Firefly much higher. Too bad it didn't last longer. Big fan.

Gordy327
Professor Expert
9.4.2  author  Gordy327  replied to  cjcold @9.4    7 years ago
Too bad it didn't last longer. Big fan.

That seems to be a general consensus about Firefly.

nightwalker
Sophomore Silent
9.5  nightwalker  replied to  Old Hermit @9    7 years ago

Red Dwarf is funny, must not have been easy to write those with only four set characters.

Memory test for BBC: "The kids in the hall."

CB
Professor Principal
9.6  CB  replied to  Old Hermit @9    6 years ago

Who knew there were others who loved "Farscape." I heart that entire series!

It Is ME
Masters Guide
10  It Is ME    7 years ago

I'm still a "Thunderbirds " fan. winking

Pedro
Professor Participates
11  Pedro    7 years ago

Of those ones, I liked Firefly the best. Farscape would be number two.

Jonathan P
Sophomore Silent
13  Jonathan P    7 years ago

Of the items on the list, my favorite was Star Trek: Deep Space 9. It was at the outset of shows becoming more technologically fancy, but not so very fancy like the ones we have today.

I'm sure there are dozens more that didn't make the list that some may enjoy. My favorite, not on the list, was Fringe. Very innovative concept, and those concepts built and layered as the series continued.

MrFrost
Professor Expert
14  MrFrost    7 years ago

I love pretty much all sci-fi, but if I had to pick one that I watch over and over again it would be ST: Voyager. ToS is of course fantastic but at this point, I have watched that series so many times, I am usually asleep before the opening credits roll. 

Forbidden Planet remains at the top of my movies list with ST: The Motion Picture a close second, (in the sci-fi category that is). I mean, Anne Francis was just soooooo H A W T. 

arkpdx
Professor Quiet
15  arkpdx    7 years ago

One show that you missed was "The Time Tunnel" if you are going to "Quantum Leap" this should be on the list. 

I see "Lost in Space" didn't make the list either. 

Gordy327
Professor Expert
15.1  author  Gordy327  replied to  arkpdx @15    7 years ago
One show that you missed was "The Time Tunnel"

I couldn't get to all shows. I know a few were missed. Consider Time Tunnel and Lost in Space honorable mentions.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
18  Sparty On    7 years ago

Hard to pick as i like most all of those but if i had to pick one ....... i'd pick the Battlestar Galactica reboot for my #1.   Having seen the original i think it was fantastically done.   Great casting and story-lines.

Anyway, if you don't like my choice you can go frack yourself!

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
18.1  Trout Giggles  replied to  Sparty On @18    7 years ago

Good choice!

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
19  Paula Bartholomew    7 years ago

I don't know if they would be considered Sci Fi or not but my picks would be Quantum Leap and Alien Nation.

Gordy327
Professor Expert
19.1  author  Gordy327  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @19    7 years ago
I don't know if they would be considered Sci Fi or not but my picks would be Quantum Leap and Alien Nation.

Technically, they pass as sci-fi. Although, Alien Nation would be skirting the line. I wasn't sure whether to include Alien Nation, as it seems more like an action-drama based show than a true sci-fi. But given that the show revolves largely around the titular aliens, I decided to keep it as sci-fi.

Freefaller
Professor Quiet
20  Freefaller    7 years ago

Sorry to go off topic but has anyone been watching the Trek Discovery series?  I've seen 5 episodes and am moderately enthusiastic, good graphics, good plotline, characters are developing.  It's got potential.

CB
Professor Principal
20.1  CB  replied to  Freefaller @20    6 years ago

Freefaller, are you still around. I intended this for Gordy (Gordy!!!) but I am just now watching the first four episodes of Star Trek Discovery (broke down and doing the CBS trial).

Right now for me, S1 E4, the storyline is discussing traveling interstellar in  on 'spores.' Is this a television way of talking about neutrinos and anti-neutrino travel?  Bryon-annihilation processes? Tachyons? Or something else?

Freefaller
Professor Quiet
20.1.1  Freefaller  replied to  CB @20.1    6 years ago

Yes lol I'm still around

I'll try to answer your question but plse understand that I'm not sure I comprehend the whole concept either, but no it's not television speak for neutrinos or anything else you mention.  The premise as I understand it that this particular type of (fungus) spore is distributed throughout all space and the hypothesis is that these spores were able to get everywhere by using a organic highway (so to speak) that exists outside the normal space/time continuum. Discovery (without being a spoiler) is trying to figure out how to access that highway.

It will become clearer the more you watch.  I've watched two seasons now and hope it continues, although the final episode didn't seem to leave many loose ends so I'm not sure where they can go from there.

Hope that helped

Nowhere Man
Junior Guide
21  Nowhere Man    7 years ago

You missed a couple,

Space 1999

Dark Matter

Time Tunnel

Lost in Space

Thunderbirds

Land of the Giants

Sliders

The X Files

All great shows and need to be considered.....

pagh tetlh naQmoH wanI'mey Del chaHvaD!

Qapla'!

Gordy327
Professor Expert
21.1  author  Gordy327  replied to  Nowhere Man @21    7 years ago
You missed a couple,

I'm sure I missed a lot.

pagh tetlh naQmoH wanI'mey Del chaHvaD!

ghaH tetlh je qaStaHvIS vaj.

Nowhere Man
Junior Guide
21.1.1  Nowhere Man  replied to  Gordy327 @21.1    7 years ago

ghaH tetlh je qaStaHvIS vaj.

luq jupwI' luq

Gordy327
Professor Expert
21.1.2  author  Gordy327  replied to  Nowhere Man @21.1.1    7 years ago
luq jupwI' luq

'ach tetlh ghIlDeSten. Qapla'

nightwalker
Sophomore Silent
21.1.3  nightwalker  replied to  Gordy327 @21.1.2    7 years ago

YEAH, that what he said, take THAT!!!  ......huh?.....

Gordy327
Professor Expert
21.1.4  author  Gordy327  replied to  nightwalker @21.1.3    6 years ago
......huh?.....

It's Klingon. 

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
22  Perrie Halpern R.A.    7 years ago

Now how did I miss this???

My personal faves would have to be:

Star Trek (original)

Star Trek DS9

OK Star Trek Anything 

Falling Skies

Fring (Walter was da bomb)

V (the first one)

The X Files

Gordy327
Professor Expert
22.1  author  Gordy327  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @22    7 years ago
Now how did I miss this???

As long as you're here now Perrie. That's all that matters. Spread the word. :)

MrFrost
Professor Expert
22.2  MrFrost  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @22    7 years ago

Scully....so hot.. 

Gordy327
Professor Expert
22.2.1  author  Gordy327  replied to  MrFrost @22.2    7 years ago
Scully....so hot..

She still is.

CB
Professor Principal
22.3  CB  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @22    6 years ago

Hi Perrie! What did you like about DS 9? Curious:

1. The beginning.
  2. The middle.
  3. The ending.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
23  Buzz of the Orient    7 years ago

Star Trek (Shatner and Limoy)

Twilight Zone

The X Files

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
23.2  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @23    7 years ago

Hah! It looks like I shortened Leonard Nimoy into "Limoy".

Nowhere Man
Junior Guide
24  Nowhere Man    7 years ago

I would like to know what people think of Dark Matter, it's through three seasons now and looking forward to a fourth.... (definitely in my top ten just don't know where to place it)

I like it VERY much....

But all time favorites?

Babylon 5..... just edges out

Star Trek TOS

TNG

The original (1978) Battlestar Galactica.

The Outer Limits (but I understand why it's not included here) And my nightmare episode, The Galaxy Being , was first seen when it was originally broadcast on TV. I have no problem with it today.

Space 1999

Time Tunnel

Lost in Space

Thunderbirds

X-Files....

there are more that I like but ten is good enough,

Spikegary
Junior Quiet
26  Spikegary    7 years ago

Does 'Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea' count as Sci-Fi?  My parents used to watch it every week.  Special Mini-sub that could fly, exotic beasts form the bottom of the sea......only thing missing?  It's not in space.  I never see re-runs of this show....was it bad?  I was a little kid when it was on.....

Nowhere Man
Junior Guide
26.1  Nowhere Man  replied to  Spikegary @26    7 years ago

It wasn't that bad, but it did have a Lost in Space feel to it.....

arkpdx
Professor Quiet
26.2  arkpdx  replied to  Spikegary @26    7 years ago

Both Lost in Space and Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea are rerun late night/early morning on ME TV if you can get that channel 

Gordy327
Professor Expert
26.2.1  author  Gordy327  replied to  arkpdx @26.2    7 years ago

I remember hearing of Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea, although I don't think I've watched it.

Galen Marvin Ross
Sophomore Participates
26.2.2  Galen Marvin Ross  replied to  Gordy327 @26.2.1    7 years ago

When I was a kid I had to have a model of the sub in that tv show, I got it and, had a great time building it and, playing with it. The "mini" sub that came with it was just as great.

Galen Marvin Ross
Sophomore Participates
26.2.3  Galen Marvin Ross  replied to  Gordy327 @26.2.1    7 years ago

Here's an episode for you, take a look.

Gordy327
Professor Expert
26.2.4  author  Gordy327  replied to  Galen Marvin Ross @26.2.3    7 years ago
When I was a kid I had to have a model of the sub in that tv show, I got it and, had a great time building it and, playing with it. The "mini" sub that came with it was just as great.

Nice.

Here's an episode for you, take a look.

Thanks.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
26.2.5  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Galen Marvin Ross @26.2.3    7 years ago

I got the message that the video was no longer available. Could it be because I'm on the other side of the world?

Spikegary
Junior Quiet
26.2.6  Spikegary  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @26.2.5    7 years ago

It comes up when I click on it.  There are several others on that page you can click on, if they show up over there.

Account Deleted
Freshman Silent
27  Account Deleted    7 years ago

The original Star Trek series.

Yes, I know - looking back  - the sets, makeup and special effects look kind of lame in comparison to what is available today. 

But it was ground breaking stuff in 1966 when I first watched it in my dorm's "bum room".

Racial integration, clash of totally different societies, Kirk in the style of Richard Burton, the first flip phone, the universal translator .  And almost always - a bit of humor - something missing in most other SF series. Gosh - was there ever a light moment in Space 1999 ?

Sorry - gota run - trouble with my tribbles.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
27.1  Trout Giggles  replied to  Account Deleted @27    7 years ago

It comes on Friday nights on the BBC. Some nights that's all I want to do.

Gordy327
Professor Expert
27.2  author  Gordy327  replied to  Account Deleted @27    7 years ago
The original Star Trek series.

Hard to beat the original.

Yes, I know - looking back  - the sets, makeup and special effects look kind of lame in comparison to what is available today. 

Yeah, but the stories, characters, and settings still hold up and in some cases, even surpass what is available today.

Sorry - gota run - trouble with my tribbles.

That's what happens when you feed them too much.

Account Deleted
Freshman Silent
27.2.1  Account Deleted  replied to  Gordy327 @27.2    7 years ago

The trouble with my tribbles is that they are cross breeding with my flat cat s.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
27.2.2  Trout Giggles  replied to  Account Deleted @27.2.1    7 years ago

Oh...I have to see photos of the newborns.

And I need to see a photo of a "flat" cat.

Bluestride
Freshman Silent
28  Bluestride    7 years ago
One to add to your list. The Expanse I binge watched the first season (10 episodes) because it was free with Amazon Prime. The second season still costs money so, I am waiting on it to "free" up. A good series that takes place entirely in our solar system.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
28.1  Trout Giggles  replied to  Bluestride @28    7 years ago

I tried to get into that one but I keep falling asleep

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
28.1.1  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Trout Giggles @28.1    7 years ago

LOL Trout, so it's not just me!!

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
28.1.2  Trout Giggles  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @28.1.1    7 years ago

Nope! I watched it on Netflix...fall asleep...wake up...and I've missed 2 episodes

Gordy327
Professor Expert
28.2  author  Gordy327  replied to  Bluestride @28    7 years ago
The Expanse

I haven't seen that yet. Although, I am curious about it. Maybe when I get the time.

Freefaller
Professor Quiet
28.2.1  Freefaller  replied to  Gordy327 @28.2    7 years ago

It's cool but very dark

Gordy327
Professor Expert
28.2.2  author  Gordy327  replied to  Freefaller @28.2.1    7 years ago

I'm ok with dark sci-fi.

Gordy327
Professor Expert
28.2.7  author  Gordy327  replied to    7 years ago

That's right. Now, if I said I had a problem with dark sci fi, or even Asian sci fi, them that would be racist. Lol

Sparty On
Professor Principal
28.2.8  Sparty On  replied to  Gordy327 @28.2.7    7 years ago

When white sci fi is dark ..... i feel discriminated against .......   

Gordy327
Professor Expert
28.2.10  author  Gordy327  replied to  Sparty On @28.2.8    7 years ago

That's quite the conundrum. 

MrFrost
Professor Expert
28.3  MrFrost  replied to  Bluestride @28    7 years ago
The Expanse

Good show, but it's really not at all what I was expecting and yes, it does have some very "dry" spots. 

Bluestride
Freshman Silent
30  Bluestride    7 years ago
Another to add to the list. Defiance While earthbound it does involve several species of aliens.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
30.1  Trout Giggles  replied to  Bluestride @30    7 years ago

that was a very good show. I liked the way it ended

MrFrost
Professor Expert
31  MrFrost    7 years ago

Another oldie but goodie, Space 1999. I still watch it from time to time. As I recall, the show ended because of a legal battle stating that they pretty much stole a lot of ideas from 2001: A Space Odyssey. 

MrFrost
Professor Expert
32  MrFrost    7 years ago

Special Unit 2. Campy and funny. Hated to see it go. 

Old Hermit
Sophomore Silent
33  Old Hermit    7 years ago

Would "The Prisoner" count as a Science Fiction series ?

I mean it did have one of the all time best robots guarding No. 6. ( smile )

Screenshot20171026 the prisoner  Google Search1.png

Screenshot20171026 the prisoner  Google Search.png

Screenshot20171026 Rover The Prisoner  Wikipedia.png

Skrekk
Sophomore Participates
33.1  Skrekk  replied to  Old Hermit @33    7 years ago

The Prisoner is easily my all-time favorite TV series.    In fact most of McGoohan's work is worth watching.

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
34  Hal A. Lujah    7 years ago

I've never been a huge sci-fi buff, but I did enjoy the Hitchhikers Guide series of novels.  Currently I am really enjoying a re-reading (audiobook) of Job: A Comedy of Justice, by Robert Heinlein.  The first time I read this book, it was pretty complicated, but nonetheless entertaining.  The second time everything is much more understandable, and all the minor details really flesh out the story.

To those who may be interested, it's about a guy (big time evangelical Christian) who, for reasons unknown, passes out one day and wakes up in the same time and location, but in a parallel universe where everything is different, but still resembles where he came from in some respects and not at all in others.  He enters this realm in the place of another identical looking person, and learns that his only choice is to assume this guy's identity and fumble through his situation.  He meets the woman who was in a relationship with his doppleganger, and eventually explains to her what happened.  They are very happy with one another and continue the relationship, even though she believes in Odin rather than being a Christian (which greatly bothers him).  They wind up going through a series of other parallel universe transformations together, which is very distressing each time, because they have to start over from scratch (sometimes butt naked), since they lose all their possessions that they aren't touching in the process.

That's where I'm at right now, but I remember that the storyline changes in a huge way, when the universe ends and he ends up in heaven, but she goes to hell for not being a Christian.  Heaven ends up being a place of total boredom and abysmal bureaucracy, and he hates it.  He just wants to be in hell where she is, and finds a way to get there.  The story just gets crazier and crazier - can't wait to hear the rest of it again.  Highly recommended - and the audiobook speaker is an excellent story teller.  

Freefaller
Professor Quiet
34.1  Freefaller  replied to  Hal A. Lujah @34    7 years ago
but I did enjoy the Hitchhikers Guide series of novels

Whatever you do don't see the movie, it was awful

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
34.1.1  Hal A. Lujah  replied to  Freefaller @34.1    7 years ago

I know.  I couldn't even stay awake through it.

Freefaller
Professor Quiet
34.1.2  Freefaller  replied to  Hal A. Lujah @34.1.1    7 years ago

Lol better than me I couldn't even leave it playing

Tacos!
Professor Guide
35  Tacos!    7 years ago

For me, it's Star Trek TOS, hands down. There's just so much about it that was groundbreaking and imaginative. Lost in the aging, primitive special effects is some fantastic storytelling, some of it penned by legendary sci fi writers. Star Trek did something I love to see any good sci-fi do: Use the setting of time, location, or technology to explore timeless human issues as well as new social problems specific to those settings that we will have to overcome in real life. And it was fun.

After that? In no particular order (of course, there are plenty of shows I haven't seen):

Firefly

Battlestar Galactica (reboot)

Star Trek DS9

Star Trek TNG

The Twilight Zone

Stargate SG1

Futurama

Orphan Black

Dark Matter

The Outer Limits

Another Fine Mess
Freshman Silent
35.1  Another Fine Mess  replied to  Tacos! @35    7 years ago

Star Trek always seemed rather sanitised for my tastes so it doesn't make my list at all.

1) Dr Who.

2) Space 1999

3) B 5/Firefly, tied in third place

4) Farscape

5) The fantastic journey

6) Battlestar Galactica the reboot, apart from the asinine ending

7) Stargate SG1

8) Space Above and Beyond.

9) Logan's run the series.

10) UFO

Tacos!
Professor Guide
35.1.1  Tacos!  replied to  Another Fine Mess @35.1    7 years ago
Star Trek always seemed rather sanitised for my tastes

This compels me to ask when were you first watching it? If it's within the last 20 or 30 years, I get that. But in the 60s, many of the stories and the cast itself were highly controversial. They received hate mail and some network affiliates in the U.S. actually refused to show certain episodes. Some episodes were actually banned in the UK and Germany.

Another Fine Mess
Freshman Silent
35.1.2  Another Fine Mess  replied to  Tacos! @35.1.1    7 years ago
But in the 60s, many of the stories and the cast itself were highly controversial.

The future Star Trek represents I simply don't buy it, when we finally get into space, we'll do exactly the same as we've done on earth. We will take the best and worst of our nature with us, for me Star Trek simply didn't represent that.

user image
Freshman Silent
35.1.3    replied to  Another Fine Mess @35.1.2    7 years ago
Star Trek represents I simply don't buy it,

E.A  You mean like the females having Skimpy uniforms and Skin-tights, to show us how Woman have " equal rights " :-)

Another Fine Mess
Freshman Silent
35.1.4  Another Fine Mess  replied to  @35.1.3    7 years ago

I was thinking more of the idealistic Federation of Planets.

user image
Freshman Silent
35.1.5    replied to  Another Fine Mess @35.1.4    7 years ago

E.A    Ahh ok  so " Woman " fall far far far away in a Planet  :-)

Another Fine Mess
Freshman Silent
35.1.6  Another Fine Mess  replied to  @35.1.5    7 years ago
fall far far far away in a Planet

I'm not a fan of Star Wars either.

user image
Freshman Silent
35.1.7    replied to  Another Fine Mess @35.1.6    7 years ago

E.A LOL  well you got the " Drift " thos that is what counts, shame that the " woman " are so far away from the reality!

Another Fine Mess
Freshman Silent
35.1.8  Another Fine Mess  replied to  @35.1.7    7 years ago

I preferred the How it should have ended parodies to the actual Star Wars films.

nightwalker
Sophomore Silent
35.1.9  nightwalker  replied to  @35.1.3    7 years ago

I wasn't thinking about equal rights but I will admit to thoroughly enjoying the view. I figured those women worked HARD to have legs like that and I should admire their efforts, that's all. 

GOD BLESS THE MINI-SKIRT, and may it come back in fashion soon. (but I'm not holding my breath.)

But to show I'm also cool with equal rights, any GUY that wants to wear a mini-skirt can too. Just don't expect anywhere near the same level of appreciation. Actually, don't expect any at all, but if you want to wear one, go 'head. Just remember one word if you do. Jockstrap.

user image
Freshman Silent
35.1.10    replied to  nightwalker @35.1.9    7 years ago
any GUY that wants to wear a mini-skirt can too. Just don't expect anywhere near the same level of appreciation.

E.A  LOL so much " For Equality " then right, equal BUT!!!

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
35.1.11  sandy-2021492  replied to  nightwalker @35.1.9    7 years ago

But to show I'm also cool with equal rights, any GUY that wants to wear a mini-skirt can too. Just don't expect anywhere near the same level of appreciation. Actually, don't expect any at all,

From you, maybe. They might not be as short as miniskirts, but I happen to love a man in a kilt.

Enoch
Masters Quiet
36  Enoch    6 years ago

Is,  "Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy" acceptable?

Loved it.

E.

Split Personality
Professor Guide
36.1  Split Personality  replied to  Enoch @36    6 years ago

A true favorite, my friend. Wink

charger 383
Professor Silent
37  charger 383    6 years ago

Still say Babylon 5 

Split Personality
Professor Guide
38  Split Personality    6 years ago

HG Wells, The Time Machine.  1895.

Morlocks vs the Eloi.

Most Science fiction ideas about the future seem to flow from this ground breaking 'fiction'.......

IMHO

It Is ME
Masters Guide
39  It Is ME    6 years ago

"THUNDERBIRDS"thumbs up

Gordy327
Professor Expert
39.1  author  Gordy327  replied to  It Is ME @39    6 years ago

It is a classic.

CB
Professor Principal
39.2  CB  replied to  It Is ME @39    6 years ago

I never liked puppets much. Sorry. Glad you guys did!

It Is ME
Masters Guide
39.2.1  It Is ME  replied to  CB @39.2    6 years ago

Puppets, Puppets, PUPPETS ! winking

puppet.jpg

Seems like a lot of work went into making the scenes in that series though.

CB
Professor Principal
40  CB    6 years ago

I don't remember LEXX looking like a 'cult' series. Were there two different versions of the show? (It may explain why I can't remember the ending, nevertheless. Anyone know?

Gordy327
Professor Expert
40.1  author  Gordy327  replied to  CB @40    6 years ago
I don't remember LEXX looking like a 'cult' series. Were there two different versions of the show? (It may explain why I can't remember the ending, nevertheless. Anyone know?

I suppose Lexx could qualify as a cult show now. It did have a campy vibe to it. But there was only one show. however, there were two different actresses playing the lead female role. 

CB
Professor Principal
40.1.1  CB  replied to  Gordy327 @40.1    6 years ago

I surely remember that 'ship.'! Who could forget it? (Don't answer that one).

Hey, did you know that Vulcan's have a spiritual discipline? And, a Vulcan soul?

Gordy327
Professor Expert
40.1.2  author  Gordy327  replied to  CB @40.1.1    6 years ago
I surely remember that 'ship.

It was quite unique. 

Hey, did you know that Vulcan's have a spiritual discipline? And, a Vulcan soul?

Yes, the Katra. The most well known example is when Spock transferred his Katra to McCoy in ST II:TWoK.

CB
Professor Principal
40.1.3  CB  replied to  Gordy327 @40.1.2    6 years ago

I can see the scene in my mind now. McCoy's wide-opened eyes indicating how much he was taking in.  A Vulcan eternal soul. I knew it years ago, and am just realizing what a "big deal" that really is.

Gordy327
Professor Expert
40.1.4  author  Gordy327  replied to  CB @40.1.3    6 years ago
I can see the scene in my mind now. McCoy's wide-opened eyes indicating how much he was taking in. 

Actually, McCoy was unconscious in that scene. Spock gave him the Vulcan neck pinch just before.

CB
Professor Principal
40.1.5  CB  replied to  Gordy327 @40.1.4    6 years ago

Ah! I must need a refresher! I have a memory of another occasion where McCoy's eye bags 'tightened' and his eyes bulged. Or, could it be that the Vulcan pinch caught McCoy off-guard and the eyes bucked and then he receive the Katra?

Well, all I really know if I loved every minute of it. Goodness, did I love it!

Gordy327
Professor Expert
40.1.6  author  Gordy327  replied to  CB @40.1.5    6 years ago
Ah! I must need a refresher! I have a memory of another occasion where McCoy's eye bags 'tightened' and his eyes bulged. Or, could it be that the Vulcan pinch caught McCoy off-guard and the eyes bucked and then he receive the Katra?

McCoy was caught off guard (as are most victims of the nerve pinch). Remember TOS episode where "evil" kirk was caught by surprise when pinched? Anyway, McCoy was only incapacitated for a few moments. But he was clearly unconscious when he received Spock's Katra. He wasn't even aware Spock did that until ST III.

Well, all I really know if I loved every minute of it. Goodness, did I love it!

It was a good scene, and an insightful last bit of improv, as Leonard Nimoy (Spock) originally wanted to be killed off. I'm sure the audience was surprised, as they thought Spock "died" at the beginning of the movie.

CB
Professor Principal
40.1.7  CB  replied to  Gordy327 @40.1.6    6 years ago

You are correct! "Fuss bucket" McCoy became a repository for Spock's essence. Surely, that would have been sacrilege for McCoy had he known or felt it. Though later, he was glad to have provided shelter for his missed 'brother."

Gordy327
Professor Expert
40.1.8  author  Gordy327  replied to  CB @40.1.7    6 years ago

McCoy was a little irate about finding out Spock mind melded with him. He even referred to Spock as "that green blooded son of a bitch. It's his revenge for all those arguments he lost." Although, McCoy was fine with it by the end. It even seemed to help their relationship during ST IV: TVH.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
41  TᵢG    6 years ago

Star Trek: The Next Generation

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
41.1  sandy-2021492  replied to  TᵢG @41    6 years ago

Will always be my fave.