╌>

Arkansas Has To Post Signs To Educate Drivers On How To Properly Merge In Traffic--ALL States Should Follow Suit!

Category:  News & Politics

By:  citizen-kane-473667  •  7 years ago  •  84 comments

Arkansas Has To Post Signs To Educate Drivers On How To Properly Merge In Traffic--ALL States Should Follow Suit!

I saw this posted on Facebook and I realized that this is a common misconception when people are trying to merge onto a road into oncoming traffic from an access lane. Now I was taught early on how you are supposed to merge, and as a commuter of 64 miles one-way to work, I see this misconception all the time.  Sometimes people will straddle the dotted lines to prevent people from getting ahead of them in line at such a merge point.  I drive around them.

Image may contain: text

So this is what Arkansas is trying to get people to understand: Proper merging technique

No automatic alt text available.

The fact that they have to do this in construction zones does not surprise me since so many are ignorant of the traffic laws and driving techniques in the first place. To be clear, in all but ONE State, the highway/oncoming traffic has the right-of-way at the merge point (Illinois being the exception), in other words, YES , the merger MUST yield to oncoming traffic.  This means that indeed, that line of cars in the picture has every right to deny the merger entrance into their lane.  What is wrong with the picture is who is being called the " asshole ". When I travel in the right lane and I see a merge lane with traffic entering the roadway, I try to time it so I leave a gap for a car to get in ahead of me--or I speed up so they have a gap behind me, like I was taught in Drivers Ed way back when.   This is true even when we are in stop-and-go traffic at a merge point.  If everyone would practice common courtesy of using the " Zipper " technique like this, traffic could be a lot less stressful for ALL . Believe me when I say that extra 30ft you're allowing in front of you won't noticeably slow you down.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Citizen Kane-473667
Professor Participates
1  author  Citizen Kane-473667    7 years ago

By the way, to those that like to " straddle the line " you're breaking the law -- and I will go around you, and if you swerve over to cut me off, I will hit you, and sue you! I just love my dash cam!!!

321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu
Sophomore Guide
1.1  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu   replied to  Citizen Kane-473667 @1    7 years ago

aggressive drivers suck ! 

Take you aggression elsewhere I drive on the same roads.  

PS: If you hit me intentionally you better call the cops quick !  Cause You will need their protection. !  I would see that as a personal  attack on me and I would retaliate so quick !!  Cars are not weapons but if you want to play that game .....

to serve and protect....LOL   Better tell them to hurry !!!  

Removed, CoC.  (BT)

Sophomore Guide
1.1.1  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu   replied to  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu @1.1    7 years ago
Removed, CoC.  (BT)

OK so the idea of ramming someone with your car intentionally is idiotic......................

Jesus what babies we have here.

Citizen Kane-473667
Professor Participates
1.1.2  author  Citizen Kane-473667  replied to  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu @1.1    7 years ago

So we agree that:

OK so the idea of ramming someone with your car intentionally is idiotic

So the asshole swerving over to cut me off while lane straddling is doing exactly this, and you say:

PS: If you hit me intentionally you better call the cops quick !  Cause You will need their protection. !  I would see that as a personal  attack on me and I would retaliate so quick !!

And I'm right there with you when you state:

Cars are not weapons but if you want to play that game

Uhm, you do see the irony in your statement/threats, right????

Spikegary
Junior Quiet
1.1.3  Spikegary  replied to  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu @1.1    7 years ago

PS: If you hit me intentionally you better call the cops quick !  Cause You will need their protection. !  I would see that as a personal  attack on me and I would retaliate so quick !!  Cars are not weapons but if you want to play that game .....

OK so the idea of ramming someone with your car intentionally is idiotic......................

Pot, Meet Kettle

Citizen Kane-473667
Professor Participates
1.1.4  author  Citizen Kane-473667  replied to  Spikegary @1.1.3    7 years ago

Some people can't see the kindred soul in the forest for the trees...

Sophomore Guide
1.1.5  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu   replied to  Citizen Kane-473667 @1.1.4    7 years ago
Some people can't see the kindred soul in the forest for the trees...

and some cant see the difference in defending and attacking.

attack me with your car I will defend myself and take you out anyway I see possible. 

Sophomore Guide
1.1.6  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu   replied to  Citizen Kane-473667 @1.1.2    7 years ago
the asshole swerving over to cut me off

is NOT attacking you. Yet you claim you would attack them.

I would defend and/or attack back. , so would many of us.

Sophomore Guide
1.1.7  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu   replied to  Spikegary @1.1.3    7 years ago
Pot, Meet Kettle

LOL .... give me room uncensored and we'll see. 

Citizen Kane-473667
Professor Participates
1.1.8  author  Citizen Kane-473667  replied to  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu @1.1.6    7 years ago
is NOT attacking you.

They are aiming a very large weapon in the direction of my vehicle and accelerating it.  In what universe does this constitute not being an "attack"?When you charge at someone, it is an "attack". Don't believe me, ask any court! It doesn't matter if you hit the brakes before actually striking my vehicle or me, you've already attempted to cause me harm.  What if your brakes failed and you couldn't stop after accelerating in front of or at me?  Do you think "it was an accident" will get you out of prison?  Not when there are so many witnesses to the fact that you were the first one to act aggressively (lane-straddling) and then compounded the illegal offense by attempting to attack me with your vehicle. Sorry, but in this Stand Your Ground state, I could probably shoot you and get off scot-free.

The best part of this whole conversation is you've already indicated that you too would engage in BOTH types of behavior; cutting someone off who is attempting to go around you if you were doing the lane-straddling, and responding with aggression if aggression is shown towards you. Yet somehow it is OK for you to act in an aggressive manner if someone is acting aggressively, but it isn't OK for someone else to have the same response in a similar situation. 

There is a word for that. Here is your mastery of the vocabulary test question: What do you call someone who  acts in contradiction to his or her stated beliefs or feelings?

Citizen Kane-473667
Professor Participates
1.1.9  author  Citizen Kane-473667  replied to  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu @1.1.5    7 years ago
attack me with your car I will defend myself and take you out anyway I see possible.

Isn't that the same thing I've been saying???

Citizen Kane-473667
Professor Participates
1.1.10  author  Citizen Kane-473667  replied to  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu @1.1.7    7 years ago
LOL .... give me room uncensored and we'll see.

Y'all couldn't handle me uncensored. 

Wait a minute; don't we have a Group fo these kinds of slap fights where we can get all "yo mama" on peoples asses???

Sophomore Guide
1.1.11  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu   replied to  Citizen Kane-473667 @1.1.8    7 years ago

People riding the middle attempting to keep people from cheating around them are not attacking anyone, they are trying to defend the right of way for the flow to keep moving. People attempting to push around the crowd are the assholes in this case. It's called wait your turn. 

And yes attack me I retaliate, most men I know do.  

Sophomore Guide
1.1.12  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu   replied to  Citizen Kane-473667 @1.1.10    7 years ago
don't we have a Group fo these kinds of slap fights

yeah I call it the back yard and NO ONE is ever there. 

I think they call it the "heated discussion group"  here but it might as well not even exist cause unless you're into talking to yourself it's a waste of time to go there.

Sophomore Guide
1.1.13  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu   replied to  Citizen Kane-473667 @1.1.10    7 years ago
Y'all couldn't handle me uncensored.

I feel the same way. Unfortunately I know of no newsvine that allows that anymore. 

That was one of the things I liked best about newsvine we could say whatever the fuck we wanted and no one poofed it. Heated discussions are a joke here....... poof rules the day instead. 

Nowhere Man
Junior Guide
1.1.14  Nowhere Man  replied to  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu @1.1.13    7 years ago

Most of us here are adult enough to realize that yelling and shouting through a keyboard proves nothing but the juvenile leanings of those posting.....

Citizen Kane-473667
Professor Participates
1.1.15  author  Citizen Kane-473667  replied to  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu @1.1.12    7 years ago
yeah I call it the back yard and NO ONE is ever there.

Well aware of where the back yard is but usually twas the parking lot for me.  Met some of my best friends in life there--after we beat the shit out of each other first, lol!  Went back in and drank until closing afterwards.  Nowadays, you're more likely to get shot just walking out the door. I've lost a total of three fights in my life; once in middle school, once to my big brother, and once when taking on a gang of 6 guys.  4 if you include the one where my bouncer and I took on 5 guys and won, and then they got in their car, drove up on the sidewalk and hit me with it breaking my leg in the process.  You could reasonably call that ultimately losing the fight. :)

Sophomore Guide
1.1.16  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu   replied to  Nowhere Man @1.1.14    7 years ago
Most of us here are adult enough to realize that yelling and shouting through a keyboard proves nothing but the juvenile leanings of those posting.....

Possibly but perhaps most of you here also would rather not care to defend yourselves too much either. I actually prefer uncensored sites where anyone can say anything. The weak minded soon flee and you are left with strong minded people who dont mine defending their positions on their chosen ideology. The trolls are called on their crap and soon either ignored or driven off. God I miss newsvine !

user image
Freshman Silent
2      7 years ago

Good point and an " Education " surely needed, But as the " court " you are aware that most courts are already " over booked " so care to tell me what that would do?

Citizen Kane-473667
Professor Participates
2.1  author  Citizen Kane-473667  replied to  @2    7 years ago
But as the " court " you are aware that most courts are already " over booked " so care to tell me what that would do?

Not sure what you're asking here EA. Could you rephrase the question for me?

user image
Freshman Silent
2.1.1    replied to  Citizen Kane-473667 @2.1    7 years ago

E.A  Sure CT, Court time is apportioned according to " Need/Security/emergency , so a " Traffic infringement " rates where and what will be done if one is told that the " Vehicles have to be impounded till the court case " and that be say 3-6 years time?

Citizen Kane-473667
Professor Participates
2.1.2  author  Citizen Kane-473667  replied to  @2.1.1    7 years ago

Not in the case of Civil Liability, which is what I would be suing for if my car gets damaged by some jerk wjo is lane straddling trying to cut me off when I go around them.

user image
Freshman Silent
2.1.3    replied to  Citizen Kane-473667 @2.1.2    7 years ago
Not in the case of Civil Liability,

E.A ok so the Insurance companies ( Worst case scenario ) do not settle, what next? 

And as an aside, would they at times not want the vehicles to  " not be used "?

Citizen Kane-473667
Professor Participates
2.1.5  author  Citizen Kane-473667  replied to    7 years ago
You are actually the problem turn yourself in.

How do you figure I'm the problem?  Because I refuse to be essentially "bullied" by a lane straddler who threatens me with a very large and dangerous weapon?  Sorry, but you better get used to the idea that not everyone allows themselves to become a victim of assholes...

Citizen Kane-473667
Professor Participates
2.1.7  author  Citizen Kane-473667  replied to  Shepboy @2.1.6    7 years ago
How about getting in the lane back when the signs first come up, and not try to by pass about 10 to 30 cars before trying to plow into a small space between cars..

How about reading up on "the Zipper" and find out Why you are supposed to merge this way:

Conventional wisdom or common courtesy dictates that you follow procedure A, getting over as early as possible to keep traffic flowing and be fair to everyone. And that presumptuous driver who motors all the way up to the front and then expects someone who got over early and paid their dues to just up and let them in? They're a jerk (or something saltier), right? Not so fast.

Studies by the Texas Transportation Institute, Minnesota Department of Transportation and Federal Highway Administration have shown that the zipper merge (thus named because both lanes are used and drivers take turns merging one car at a time, like the teeth of a zipper) improves traffic flow by as much as 15 percent, according to the Detroit News. MnDOT also found it reduces the total length of a backup by as much as 50 percent, and commonly by 40 percent.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
3  Buzz of the Orient    7 years ago

The biggest problem with merging is lack of courtesy.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
5  Buzz of the Orient    7 years ago

You think not knowing how to merge is a problem? Then don't ever try to drive in China:

China traffic jam.jpg

Citizen Kane-473667
Professor Participates
5.1  author  Citizen Kane-473667  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @5    7 years ago

This is one of a dozen bottlenecks I pass through in one commute:

Image result for atlanta street traffic rush hour

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
5.1.1  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Citizen Kane-473667 @5.1    7 years ago

LOL

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
5.1.3  Hal A. Lujah  replied to  Shepboy @5.1.2    7 years ago

You say that like cost is no object.  As a civil engineer who has worked in transportation, that sort of transformation is measured in hundreds of trillions, if not thousands.  As it stands, American infrastructure gets a D rating.  The transportation industry is becoming increasingly privatized, because maintaining what we already have is so expensive.  Public Private Partnerships survive by getting into your wallet even more than taxation does.

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
5.1.4  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  Citizen Kane-473667 @5.1    7 years ago

That picture is why I avoid the freeways all together.  About the only time I do use one is to get to my doctor and that is only every 4 months.

Citizen Kane-473667
Professor Participates
5.1.5  author  Citizen Kane-473667  replied to  Shepboy @5.1.2    7 years ago
looks like a pile of spaghetti...

Hence the reason it is actually called "spaghetti junction" by everyone including news reporters and traffic reporters.

Uncle Bruce
Professor Quiet
5.1.6  Uncle Bruce  replied to  Citizen Kane-473667 @5.1.5    7 years ago

Atlanta?  I used to live in Cumming.  Worked in Alpharetta.  So glad I didn't have to go through that.

user image
Freshman Silent
5.1.7    replied to  Shepboy @5.1.2    7 years ago
technology advancements or create something that will allow for better transportation.

E.A Better still No Unnecessary Transportation!

Citizen Kane-473667
Professor Participates
5.1.8  author  Citizen Kane-473667  replied to  Uncle Bruce @5.1.6    7 years ago
I used to live in Cumming

I'm further out in Gainesville.  Working smack dab in the middle of downtown at the Convention Center.  You can guess what my drive is like during rush hour, lol!

It Is ME
Masters Guide
6  It Is ME    7 years ago

I've always wanted some beat up old car to drive.

TO:

Push the maroon forward that hangs back, and won't get up to the light changing area at a traffic light.

Bump the Maroon that is texting , and doesn't notice the light changed.

Block the Maroon that has been texting, and decides they are going to cut you off, because they figured out, if they don't, they will miss their turn they missed because they were Fucking texting. Fucking Maroon didn't seem to see the next light 1 block away, that will allow him to make a u-turn to get back to where they were originally going to go. They would rather make your life miserable, instead of just going up the road a bit. God Forbid THEY should be put out !

Push the Maroon over, that has this need to block you from merging, because to be ahead of you will allow them get to where they are going....Fucking SECONDS sooner.

Push the Maroon that likes to drive 20 miles an hour slower than the speed limit....in the fucking middle lane of a highway. Doesn't matter that the right slow lane is friggin wide open. I pass those types on the right, then cut over really, really, really close to their front bumper..... ON PURPOSE ! You'll see them move over to the right slow lane after that. laughing dude

Freefaller
Professor Quiet
6.1  Freefaller  replied to  It Is ME @6    7 years ago

Lol power to you but your insurance is gonna take a beating in most of those scenarios.

It Is ME
Masters Guide
6.1.1  It Is ME  replied to  Freefaller @6.1    7 years ago

laughing dude

I'd find a way to blame the other driver. Laugh

Freefaller
Professor Quiet
6.1.2  Freefaller  replied to  It Is ME @6.1.1    7 years ago

Good luck to ya.  Plse post about it and the rest of us can live vicariously through you

It Is ME
Masters Guide
6.1.3  It Is ME  replied to  Freefaller @6.1.2    7 years ago

LOL !

That's my Christmas wish this year.

I'm so Christian.....ain't I ? winking

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
6.2  sandy-2021492  replied to  It Is ME @6    7 years ago
Push the Maroon that likes to drive 20 miles an hour slower than the speed limit....in the fucking middle lane of a highway. Doesn't matter that the right slow lane is friggin wide open.

I hate those people.  I live near an interstate that should be 6-lane, but only has 4, so when these assholes get at the front of a line of traffic in the left lane, going the same speed as the car beside them in the right lane and refusing to pass and GET BACK OVER, it can cause traffic to be bumper-to-bumper for miles at highway speeds.  Nobody can get out of the pack, because the idiot up front is holding everybody prisoner.  There is an "accident" (actually, an idiot-caused car crash) almost every day in our area on this interstate, sometimes causing traffic to come to a standstill for hours or half a day.

I refuse to travel that interstate on heavy traffic days, like before or after a holiday.  It's hours of going 70 mph with someone right on my rear bumper, not able to maintain a safe distance from the car in front of me because somebody will force their car into any space I try to leave, knowing that if somebody hits the breaks we'll all be wrecked.

And if I can see the front of the traffic jam, it's two cars going the same speed side-by-side.

Well, now my blood pressure is up.

It Is ME
Masters Guide
6.2.1  It Is ME  replied to  sandy-2021492 @6.2    7 years ago
Well, now my blood pressure is up.

sorry !

I can actually "Feel" your pain. stunned

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
6.2.2  sandy-2021492  replied to  It Is ME @6.2.1    7 years ago

Thanks.  I get this way every year when I think about heading home for the holidays.  Even though I now take an alternate route.

Some people are way too casual with their responsibilities as drivers.

It Is ME
Masters Guide
6.2.3  It Is ME  replied to  sandy-2021492 @6.2.2    7 years ago
Some people are way too casual with their responsibilities as drivers.

No kidding. anger

user image
Freshman Silent
6.2.4    replied to  It Is ME @6.2.3    7 years ago

E.A  And why ,,  I ask why should they not be? Should all driving be " stressful ? really?

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
6.2.6  sandy-2021492  replied to  Shepboy @6.2.5    7 years ago

I learned 4 seconds, but yeah, you're supposed to leave a cushion - the higher the speeds, the bigger the cushion.  Nobody seems to understand the concept of the cushion.

And those people who pass just to get into that cushion.  FFS, you got ONE car ahead in a line of thousands of cars.  You shaved an entire 0.2 seconds off your travel time by being a dangerous asshole.  Well done.

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
7  Hal A. Lujah    7 years ago

This was the bane of my existence for years when I had a two hour commute each way five days a week.  I wanted to murder people.

Sunshine
Professor Quiet
8  Sunshine    7 years ago

I always let people in when merging or turning in from another road and traffic is backed up.

Seems like the courteous thing to do.  I am grateful when a nice person does it for me.

user image
Freshman Silent
8.1    replied to  Sunshine @8    7 years ago
I am grateful when a nice person does it for me.

E.A                                                       Bingo  

" DO unto others what YOU want others to do Unto YOU " Brilliant!@  Only if more would practice THAT " what a wonderful world this would be.

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
8.2  sandy-2021492  replied to  Sunshine @8    7 years ago

Same here, or let them turn left from the oncoming lane when traffic going my way is sitting still.  It's an easy way to alleviate traffic backups.

Freefaller
Professor Quiet
8.2.1  Freefaller  replied to  sandy-2021492 @8.2    7 years ago

Nooo! cut them off, cut them all off!  It's my road and mine only.

Citizen Kane-473667
Professor Participates
8.2.2  author  Citizen Kane-473667  replied to  Freefaller @8.2.1    7 years ago

laughing dude