Topic for Discussion: Do You Hate God?

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  krishna  •  6 years ago  •  290 comments

Topic for Discussion: Do You Hate God?

Democrats Hate America, Trump & God, Rick Saccone Says

PA-18 GOP nominee made comments at campaign rally on special election eve

PAelectionlambsaccone.png

Democrat Conor Lamb, left, and Republican Rick Saccone are competing

for  Pennsylvania’s open 18th District seat (Courtesy Conor Lamb/Rick Saccone/Facebook)

Pennsylvania state Rep. Rick Saccone accused the Democratic Party of being energized by “hatred” for “our country,” “God” and “our president” on the eve of the most important day in his political career so far.

Saccone made the comments Monday at a rally at a local volunteer fire department in Blaine Hill. He squares off Tuesday against Democrat Conor Lamb in the special election for Pennsylvania’s 18th District.

“I’ve talked to so many of these on the left,” Saccone said. “And they have a hatred for our president. And I tell you, many of them have a hatred for our country”

“I’ll tell you some more — my wife and I saw it again today: They have a hatred for God,” Saccone said. “It’s amazing. You see it when I’m talking to them. It’s disturbing to me.” 

If you are a Democrat-- do you hate God (PBUH)? If so-- why? If not-- why not?

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Krishna
Professor Expert
1  seeder  Krishna    6 years ago

“I’ll tell you some more — my wife and I saw it again today: They have a hatred for God,” Saccone said. “It’s amazing. You see it when I’m talking to them. It’s disturbing to me.” 

Suggested Questions for Discussion:

1. If you are a Democrat-- do you hate God (PBUH)? If so-- why? If not-- why not?

2. Regardless of your political preferences, when you see someone who hates God (PBUH), do you find that extremely disturbing? 

3. If you do believe in God (PBUH)-- do you believe that She herself is so weak & fragile that She herself would be tremendously upset by people hating her? Or-- do you feel that perhaps She personally doesn't give a sh*t?

Tessylo
Professor Principal
1.1  Tessylo  replied to  Krishna @1    6 years ago

I don't think his saying that democrats hated America, donald rump and god helped him win this election.  He lost.  

Dismayed Patriot
Professor Quiet
1.2  Dismayed Patriot  replied to  Krishna @1    6 years ago
If you do believe in God (PBUH)-- do you believe that She herself is so weak & fragile that She herself would be tremendously upset by people hating her?

I think the answer for most evangelicals to that question would be "How dare you call God a her! HE will come and save mankind!" because the status of Gods genitals is supremely important to their male dominated doctrine.

But to answer the main question asked of whether I hate God, the answer is no. I find it very difficult to hate something that I've seen no reason to believe exists.

However, I recognize that in some ways I could say I love certain fictional characters from books or even comic books I've read. I love the idea of Superman and do in a way hate some of the villains who the stories describe doing terrible things to the most vulnerable among us. So in that way I could say that I hate the idea of a God that could sit idly by while children suffer, women are abused and real villains get away with murder. If I look at the different religions of the world based on their Gods like comic book characters then I would say I disrespect the majority of Gods who's followers claim are omnipotent but choose to allow the kind of suffering we see every day around the world when they supposedly could prevent it.

epistte
Junior Guide
2  epistte    6 years ago

How can I possibly hate what doesn't exist? Am I also supposed to hate unicorns and leprechauns?

These questions play to the very same unthinking people who have made an issue of patriotism and claiming that the US Constitution is based on Christian law.  They are all charlatans and Pharisees.

Krishna
Professor Expert
2.1  seeder  Krishna  replied to  epistte @2    6 years ago
They are all charlatans and Pharisees.

Not to mention that the vast majority are scoundrels and knaves as well! Wink

JBB
Professor Principal
3  JBB    6 years ago

Democrat here. I do not hate god. Most real hatred is disturbing. I blame it all on Olde Father Abraham...

lennylynx
Sophomore Quiet
4  lennylynx    6 years ago

God sucks!  thumbs down

igknorantzrulz
PhD Quiet
4.1  igknorantzrulz  replied to  lennylynx @4    6 years ago
God sucks!

Yea, they and "Mean People"

Randy
Sophomore Participates
4.2  Randy  replied to  lennylynx @4    6 years ago
God sucks!

What?

Freefaller
Professor Quiet
5  Freefaller    6 years ago

Not a Dem or Rep and can't hate something that I don't believe exists.

lennylynx
Sophomore Quiet
5.1  lennylynx  replied to  Freefaller @5    6 years ago

I hate God, Homer Simpson, Bugs Bunny and Bigfoot!

Dean Moriarty
Professor Quiet
5.1.1  Dean Moriarty  replied to  lennylynx @5.1    6 years ago

il_340x270.718497703_ig75.jpg

Krishna
Professor Expert
5.1.2  seeder  Krishna  replied to  Dean Moriarty @5.1.1    6 years ago

lochnessmonster.jpg

The Loch Ness Monster. 

Krishna
Professor Expert
5.1.3  seeder  Krishna  replied to  Krishna @5.1.2    6 years ago

scientology.jpg

And several celebrities you might not have known were totally nuts:

scientologycelebrities.jpg

Randy
Sophomore Participates
5.1.4  Randy  replied to  Krishna @5.1.3    6 years ago

There is a really great cafe right across the street from the blue hospital Scientology Building (once upon a time it used to be L.A. Cedars-Sinai), though it only had street parking where parking was tough any way. However on you once you were sitting you were watching all of the “inmates” at the building, going about their daily business in groups. Always in groups and always with leaders. I swear we never once saw any individual walk in or out of the building while eating our steel cut oat meal and soft poached eggs.

Considering the life that they were leading and what we were paying for breakfast ($$$) after walking two blocks from finding a street a parking place because my wife had read in the LA Times that this was the latest hottest restaurant for breakfast (and there was a line) I am not so sure who was the most crazy. I mean weren't we both following a sort of cult?

igknorantzrulz
PhD Quiet
5.1.6  igknorantzrulz  replied to  Kathleen @5.1.5    6 years ago
Bugs? Who could hate Bugs?

Daffy Duck

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
5.1.7  Trout Giggles  replied to  igknorantzrulz @5.1.6    6 years ago

And Elmer Fudd. I think he hates Bugs the most

igknorantzrulz
PhD Quiet
5.1.8  igknorantzrulz  replied to  Trout Giggles @5.1.7    6 years ago

Duck Season!

Rabbit Season!

Fudd Season ?

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
5.1.9  Trout Giggles  replied to  igknorantzrulz @5.1.8    6 years ago

Don't get me started....

Freefaller
Professor Quiet
5.1.10  Freefaller  replied to  Trout Giggles @5.1.7    6 years ago

I don't think Marvin the Martian is fond of Bugs either

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
5.1.11  Trout Giggles  replied to  Freefaller @5.1.10    6 years ago

Poor Bugs...nobody likes him.

Randy
Sophomore Participates
5.1.12  Randy  replied to  Freefaller @5.1.10    6 years ago

Marvin was truly unappreciated in his time. It was that whole wanting to blow up the planet Earth thing.

lennylynx
Sophomore Quiet
5.1.13  lennylynx  replied to  Kathleen @5.1.5    6 years ago

You mean you LIKE bugs? Happy

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
5.1.14  Trout Giggles  replied to  lennylynx @5.1.13    6 years ago

I bet you like some bugs....lady bugs, praying mantis, crickets, butterflies, walking sticks.....

lennylynx
Sophomore Quiet
5.1.15  lennylynx  replied to  Trout Giggles @5.1.14    6 years ago

Quit bugging me Trout! Happy

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
5.1.16  Trout Giggles  replied to  lennylynx @5.1.15    6 years ago

I need an emoji with wings

Galen Marvin Ross
Sophomore Participates
5.1.20  Galen Marvin Ross  replied to  Trout Giggles @5.1.16    6 years ago

angel

Freefaller
Professor Quiet
5.1.22  Freefaller  replied to  Randy @5.1.12    6 years ago

Lol Marvin was one of my faves, the other was that hair monster (don't know if he had a name)

Freefaller
Professor Quiet
5.1.23  Freefaller  replied to  Trout Giggles @5.1.11    6 years ago
Poor Bugs...nobody likes him.

Now that raises an interesting question, did old time Bugs have any friends?  Maybe I'm having an elder moment but I honestly can't recall anyone (I'm fairly certain he physically beat on pretty much anyone he came in contact with)

Tessylo
Professor Principal
5.1.24  Tessylo  replied to  Freefaller @5.1.22    6 years ago

'Lol Marvin was one of my faves, the other was that hair monster (don't know if he had a name)'

I think the hair monster did but I'll be damned if I can remember what it was now.  I loved that hair monster!!!!!  I loved it when Bugs was doing his nails.  You know there were two separate cartoons with that hair monster in it.  I have a decent Looney Tunes collection at home and I found the two with the hair monster.  In one Bugs did his nails.  In one he did his hair (the rollers were actually sticks of dynamite).  Classic!  

Gordy327
Professor Expert
5.1.25  Gordy327  replied to  Tessylo @5.1.24    6 years ago
I think the hair monster did but I'll be damned if I can remember what it was now.

Gossamer.

lennylynx
Sophomore Quiet
5.1.26  lennylynx  replied to  Kathleen @5.1.21    6 years ago

So, you don't like spiders and snakes either then?

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
5.1.29  sandy-2021492  replied to  Kathleen @5.1.28    6 years ago

Tell that to the black widows that like to hide in my firewood.  They're bad guys (or girls, I guess), and they're treated accordingly.

Gordy327
Professor Expert
5.1.31  Gordy327  replied to  Kathleen @5.1.27    6 years ago
He was my favorite. Big red hairy fellow that cried.

He also had a fear of hair clippers.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
5.1.33  Trout Giggles  replied to  Kathleen @5.1.32    6 years ago

Oh, goody, we're talking favorite Loony Tune cartoons.

One of my favorites is when Sylvester is dreaming about Tweety. Tweety drinks a potion and becomes Mr Hyde. Funny. I still bust a gut at Mr Hyde/Tweety with Sylvester's tail hanging out of his mouth.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
5.1.34  Tessylo  replied to  Kathleen @5.1.32    6 years ago

Was that the one where Sylvester kind of went through the yard on a rope and when he saw all the dogs he turned dead white?  If that's the one I think it is - that was hilarious!

Gordy327
Professor Expert
5.1.35  Gordy327  replied to  Kathleen @5.1.32    6 years ago
My all time favorite was the one with all the dogs in the yard. Sylvester was trying to get to tweety in the widow.

My favorite was the

"> Rabbit/Duck season episode where daffy constantly got his beak blown every which way by Elmer Fudd.

Great one, although, there were many great ones.

Very true. What made them so great is not just the humor and gags, but also the great voice acting (especially the late, great Mel Blanc) and the background music, which enhanced the episodes.

Gordy327
Professor Expert
5.1.38  Gordy327  replied to  Kathleen @5.1.37    6 years ago
I remember that one! That was a great one.

I would argue one of the best.

bbl-1
Professor Quiet
6  bbl-1    6 years ago

Still am unable to fathom why the subject of 'gawd hating' always seems to arise by the allegedly 'gawd fearing' right wing/neocon/trump worshippers.

Very puzzling.

Gordy327
Professor Expert
7  Gordy327    6 years ago
You certainly are obsessed with attacking, almost daily, that which you claim doesn't exist.

Poking logical holes in absurd religious concepts like deities is not attacking. Of course, the victim sees everything as an "attack."

Tessylo
Professor Principal
7.1  Tessylo  replied to  Gordy327 @7    6 years ago

Another persecuted small c christian - always persecuted small c christians?  crying

Krishna
Professor Expert
9  seeder  Krishna    6 years ago

JesusandMo.png

DocPhil
Sophomore Quiet
10  DocPhil    6 years ago

It doesn't make a difference if you personally believe in a god or not, the concept of hatred of god is an interesting theoretical question.

If you are a believer and look at God as an omnipotent, all powerful, all knowing being bringing fire and brimstone down upon sinners, then you have to look at God as a mean spirited, vindictive supernatural being who kills those who defy him. One only has to look at the destruction of the cities of Sodom and Gomorroh or the killing of the Egyptian armies when they were chasing the Israelites to realize that this omnipotent god of gods was also the meanest of all those icons who were worshipped at the time. Even after the time of Christ, the atrocities done in the name of God, the Inquisition or the Crusades would lead the reader to have a severe dislike for those who are followers of that god's word. 

If you are a non-believer, there is no such thing as a hatred of god. You cannot hate that which doesn't exist. Hatred has to be directed toward an actual being. For the non-believer, there can be no hatred of God. There can, however, be hatred for those who commit atrocities in the name of a god. It would make no difference what religion that believer might be if the atrocities are against another human being or animal. 

It also makes no difference whether the believer or non-believer is a democrat, republican, libertarian,, or independent. The reality is that only a true believer can hate god, while it is impossible for a non-believer to have hatred for a non-entity. 

That makes Saccone's statement even stupider than it sounds at first blush.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
10.1  TᵢG  replied to  DocPhil @10    6 years ago

Well said.

Krishna
Professor Expert
10.2  seeder  Krishna  replied to  DocPhil @10    6 years ago
That makes Saccone's statement even stupider than it sounds at first blush.

Exactly!

And BTW, I've read several other statements he's made-- the guy is not exactly "the sharpest knife in the drawer" (to coin a phrase). A terrible candidate. And to make matter worse for the Republicans, his opponent in today's election (Conor Lamb) is a really intelligent guy. 

That district is Trump country-- he won it by a wide margin in the Presidential election-- Trump won the district by 20% of the vote. But because Saccone is such a nutcase, because Lamb is such a quality candidate...and because disillusionment with Trump is growing nationwide...today's race in PA-18 may be very close:

Election Night Live - Pennsylvania - Saccone Versus Lamb

Randy
Sophomore Participates
13  Randy    6 years ago

God does not exist. Therefore I can not hate something that does not exist.

Oh and to answer the other questions in the title,. I love America passionately, I hate Trump passionately because he is a threat to America as he is a Russian agent and I really don't know much about Rick Saccone.

The Magic 8 Ball
Masters Quiet
13.1  The Magic 8 Ball  replied to  Randy @13    6 years ago
because he is a threat to America

because putting America first is a threat to America?

OK then... LOL

hate to break the news but,

• secure borders
  • fair trade deals
  • lower taxes
  • more jobs
  • a sovereign country

are not a threat to our country...

people who oppose those things are.

Cheers :)

lennylynx
Sophomore Quiet
13.1.1  lennylynx  replied to  The Magic 8 Ball @13.1    6 years ago

You've been fooled by an abject moron, congrats!  Donut?

The Magic 8 Ball
Masters Quiet
13.1.2  The Magic 8 Ball  replied to  lennylynx @13.1.1    6 years ago
You've been fooled by an abject moron,

nah... im fairly adept at ignoring "internet guys opinions"

including yours :)

but if you wish to explain how the USA having...

• secure borders
  • fair trade deals
  • lower taxes
  • more jobs
  • a sovereign country

is in putins best interest?  take your best shot.

Randy
Sophomore Participates
13.1.3  Randy  replied to  The Magic 8 Ball @13.1    6 years ago

because putting America first is a threat to America?

By ignoring what I said and inserting your comment (above) you attempted to change the meaning of my comment into something that it did not mean. Now I am sure that this was simple mistake because unless you are a complete asshole, you would not want to do something like that. I made a generic point that I believe that Donald Trump is a danger to America because I believe that he is a Russian Agent. However you responded with ignoring that following sentence which clarifies the point I was making as any moron could see and instead inserted your own completely off topic comment, completely changing it's meaning and attempting to make my comment into a lie. Please do not do that in the future. Please. And I mean that. Now I accept that you most likely did this in error as a lot of newer people do and I accept your apology

Of course putting America first is not a threat. Neither is secure borders. Yada, yada, yada. However I did not say anything about them and it is often a trick of some people, like Donald Trump as you have been since you have arrived here comrade, to change the subject rather then address it and that is what you did. No offense intended but that is a cowardly and common thing to do. The question was is he a threat to America because he is a Russian Agent and no rational person could look at the evidence, which would to be only the tip of a very large iceberg and not conclude that he is under the control of Vladimir Putin through some type of personal embarrassing or financial blackmail.

As for the things you list as Trumps accomplishments, they are the exact things we were getting under Barack Obama, no better, no worse, without all of the wondering if he was Putin's puppet.

Now if you want to debate as a real person and not as just another troll bot from St Petersburg, Which I have no doubt at all that you are, then we can. However if you want to just keep on sending out pre-printed phrases like you have since you got here (work on your English a bit). Then I suspect we have little to talk about. BTW No one says “surfs up” since the Annette Funicello and Frankie Avalon films of the early 1060's. Do some better research next time.

Oh..uh..Cheers?

Tessylo
Professor Principal
13.1.4  Tessylo  replied to  Randy @13.1.3    6 years ago
Comment removed for skirting the Coc. jwc2blue

laughing dude

Randy
Sophomore Participates
13.1.5  Randy  replied to  Tessylo @13.1.4    6 years ago

Incomplete asshole?

Randy
Sophomore Participates
13.1.6  Randy  replied to  Randy @13.1.3    6 years ago

Actually, of course, that is 1960's and not 1060's. Fucking typos. However then again for all I know there may have been a real rad surfing scene somewhere in the world in the 1060's COWABUNGA!!!

Randy
Sophomore Participates
13.1.7  Randy  replied to  Tessylo @13.1.4    6 years ago
Comment removed for skirting the Coc. jwc2blue

Bull fucking shit!!!! And I demand a review by Perrie!! 

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
13.1.8  Trout Giggles  replied to  Randy @13.1.6    6 years ago

I hear the Knights Templar had a real rad scene on the Palestinian beaches....

DocPhil
Sophomore Quiet
13.1.9  DocPhil  replied to  The Magic 8 Ball @13.1.2    6 years ago

Let's take your points one at a time:

Secure Borders:   If Trump was honest about secure borders, he would be more concerned about our northern border and our unwillingness to enforce visa overstays and employers not doing appropriate checks on employees. It is much easier for terrorists to enter through our northern border or through a legitimate student visa which they then overstay than through our southern border. But the people who pass through the northern border are predominantly white while those who pass through the southern border are primarily brown and black. Employers not using e-verify benefits republicans who want cheap labor and refuse to provide a living wage to their employees.

Fair Trade Deals:  When I see a trade deal that is actually renegotiated that is fair to all parties involved, I will agree with you. To date, all we see is unilateral withdrawal or bitching about current trade deals. There does not appear to be any real movement toward serious negotiation.

Lower Taxes:  For whom? Taxes are lower for me and will continue to be lower for me because I'm well to do. They are not lower with any permanence for the middle class and the poor. Even with the mini-dollars that most people will get for the next few years, the benefits will be more than offset by the increases that they will see in their health care premiums. The tax scam is just that, an upward redistribution of wealth.

More Jobs:  There is no trend toward more jobs today than there was during the Obama administration. The trend line for jobs has been exactly the same for the past nine years. Now we are approaching full employment. How is that Trump's accomplishment. An orangutan could have overseen the continuation we have seen.

A Sovereign Country:   You are certainly joking..... We are selling our sovereignty to Russia. We have a president who won't even place sanctions that were voted upon overwhelmingly by congress on Russia. He won't support the British when they are attacked by Russians {by poison} or recognize that the Russians have interfered in our electoral process. The president has acted on the international stage as a Putin puppet and those of you on the right have the unmitigated gall to claim that this Presidential asshole is establishing us as a sovereign country. 

lennylynx
Sophomore Quiet
13.1.10  lennylynx  replied to  Tessylo @13.1.4    6 years ago

I didn't actually get to read that comment, but I'm sure I liked it, whatever it was! Happy

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
14  Hal A. Lujah    6 years ago

I love God conditionally.  The condition is that I have a friendly dog named God.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
15  Trout Giggles    6 years ago

God doesn't give a shit what I think.

luther28
Sophomore Silent
16  luther28    6 years ago

The only thing I hate is celery.

The belief or lack of a belief in gods, goddesses or the lack there of them is of a personal nature. As long as it is kept that way I really do not care a wit one way or another.

Randy
Sophomore Participates
16.1  Randy  replied to  luther28 @16    6 years ago

I absolutely refuse to be pushed into any religion that forces me to worship celery! Though it can't be beat for a late night snack with cream cheese or peanut butter! Especially with salt!

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
16.1.1  Trout Giggles  replied to  Randy @16.1    6 years ago

How do you stir your Bloody Mary if you hate celery?

Randy
Sophomore Participates
16.1.2  Randy  replied to  Trout Giggles @16.1.1    6 years ago

Impossible!

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
16.2  Hal A. Lujah  replied to  luther28 @16    6 years ago

The only thing I hate is celery.

I would eat 1,000 sticks of celery before I'd eat a spoonful of peas.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
16.2.1  Trout Giggles  replied to  Hal A. Lujah @16.2    6 years ago

I'm glad none of you are my children

What have you got against green food?

Randy
Sophomore Participates
16.2.2  Randy  replied to  Hal A. Lujah @16.2    6 years ago

Awwww now peas!!! Especially just harvested!!!! Boiled up soft in real butter instead of water!!! Fantastic!!! It's meal in itself in a chilly fall day!!!

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
16.2.3  Hal A. Lujah  replied to  Trout Giggles @16.2.1    6 years ago

I love green foods, just not peas (or lima beans).  I still gag when I think about the smell of frozen peas microwaved and put on my plate as a kid, ruining everything about my dinner.  When mom wasn't looking, I used to sneak them off my plate and stuff them in the top of my socks.  The dog wouldn't even eat them.

Randy
Sophomore Participates
16.2.4  Randy  replied to  Trout Giggles @16.2.1    6 years ago
What have you got against green food?

I actually loved things like Spinach and Broccoli growing up. My step-mother (a very wise and wonderful woman who we just lost this past fall at 87 (and I miss her terribly and loved her like crazy)) once told me that the trick getting kids to eat green foods was REAL butter. Not oleo or margarine, but REAL butter. She was right. It made all of the difference in the world!

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
16.2.5  Trout Giggles  replied to  Randy @16.2.4    6 years ago

All we ever ate was real butter, too. I always ate my green veggies even my white and orange ones.

We always had a large garden so mom planted a lot of peas. I hated shelling them, but they were awful good for supper that night.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
16.2.6  Trout Giggles  replied to  Hal A. Lujah @16.2.3    6 years ago

I grew up with fresh peas, so I'm spoiled. My mom would par boil the fresh peas and then freeze them. They were delicious in the cold winter months.

igknorantzrulz
PhD Quiet
16.2.8  igknorantzrulz  replied to  Kathleen @16.2.7    6 years ago

I've heard Trumpp loves em

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
16.2.9  Hal A. Lujah  replied to  igknorantzrulz @16.2.8    6 years ago

That pea is spelled a little differently.

Freefaller
Professor Quiet
16.2.10  Freefaller  replied to  Randy @16.2.4    6 years ago

Your step mom was mostly correct, however Broccoli and Cauliflower require a melty cheese sauce plus butter.

magnoliaave
Sophomore Quiet
17  magnoliaave    6 years ago

It is totally irrelevant if one hates God.  And, it is completely hilarious that one would believe in God by simply reading the Bible.  And, there are other religions who believe in a God or is this just about the Christian God.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
17.1  TᵢG  replied to  magnoliaave @17    6 years ago
And, it is completely hilarious that one would believe in God by simply reading the Bible.

What is the proper way to believe in God?

magnoliaave
Sophomore Quiet
17.1.1  magnoliaave  replied to  TᵢG @17.1    6 years ago

There is no "proper" way and, for a fact it isn't derived from reading a book.  It is a happening and the Bible is for guidance and understanding. 

livefreeordie
Junior Silent
17.2  livefreeordie  replied to  magnoliaave @17    6 years ago

Christians don’t believe in God simply because we have read the Bible.  We do so because we have a personal relationship with Him

Gordy327
Professor Expert
17.2.1  Gordy327  replied to  livefreeordie @17.2    6 years ago
We do so because we have a personal relationship with Him

And children have a "relationship" with their imaginary friends too.

Phoenyx13
Sophomore Silent
17.2.2  Phoenyx13  replied to  livefreeordie @17.2    6 years ago
Christians don’t believe in God simply because we have read the Bible.  We do so because we have a personal relationship with Him

please expound upon this. I have personal relationships in my life with many friends and family etc - its because i tangibly interact with them daily (and they with me). How are you able to tangibly interact with your God ?

charger 383
Professor Silent
17.2.3  charger 383  replied to  livefreeordie @17.2    6 years ago

How can i have a personal with something that does not show itself?  How do I know I would be worshiping the right god?

livefreeordie
Junior Silent
17.2.4  livefreeordie  replied to  Phoenyx13 @17.2.2    6 years ago

Jesus in multiple passages promises us a living personal relationship.   Born again Christians  have that relationship realized in several ways.

1.  The Holy Spirit is also God and is exactly like Jesus but in Spirit (John 14:16 another is allow in the Greek text meaning another with the same qualities)

2.  We experience the reality of God in our daily lives as God intervenes in ways that defy the things that can be known about this world and it’s limitations (miracles big and small)

3. Some of us have physical encounters with Jesus as I have had on several occasions 

4.  God sends others into our lives with confirmations that they could not possibly be aware of

5.  The Apostle Paul notes that anyone who does not have a personal relationship with Jesus is cursed

If anyone does not love the Lord, let him be cursed. Marana, tha! Our Lord, come!
1 Corinthians 16:22 - the Greek word for love here is Philemon (brotherly love suggesting close friendship

φιλέω philéō, fil-eh'-o; from G5384; to be a friend to (fond of (an individual or an object)), i.e. have affection for (denoting personal attachment, as a matter of sentiment or feeling

“If you love me, obey my commandments. 16 And I will ask the Father, and he will give you another Advocate,who will never leave you. 17 He is the Holy Spirit, who leads into all truth. The world cannot receive him, because it isn’t looking for him and doesn’t recognize him. But you know him, because he lives with you now and later will be in you. 18 No, I will not abandon you as orphans—I will come to you. 19 Soon the world will no longer see me, but you will see me. Since I live, you also will live. 20 When I am raised to life again, you will know that I am in my Father, and you are in me, and I am in you. 21 Those who accept my commandments and obey them are the ones who love me. And because they love me, my Father will love them. And I will love them and reveal myself to each of them.”
22 Judas (not Judas Iscariot, but the other disciple with that name) said to him, “Lord, why are you going to reveal yourself only to us and not to the world at large?”
23 Jesus replied, “All who love me will do what I say. My Father will love them, and we will come and make our home with each of them. 24 Anyone who doesn’t love me will not obey me. And remember, my words are not my own. What I am telling you is from the Father who sent me. 25 I am telling you these things now while I am still with you. 26 But when the Father sends the Advocate as my representative—that is, the Holy Spirit—he will teach you everything and will remind you of everything I have told you. John 14:15-26

TᵢG
Professor Principal
17.2.5  TᵢG  replied to  livefreeordie @17.2.4    6 years ago
Some of us have physical encounters with Jesus as I have had on several occasions

Related image

Phoenyx13
Sophomore Silent
17.2.6  Phoenyx13  replied to  livefreeordie @17.2.4    6 years ago

Jesus in multiple passages promises us a living personal relationship.   Born again Christians  have that relationship realized in several ways.

so you read about it in a book, huh ?

1.  The Holy Spirit is also God and is exactly like Jesus but in Spirit (John 14:16 another is allow in the Greek text meaning another with the same qualities)

so the Holy Spirit and God and Jesus are all different or all the same ? I'm getting conflicting messages from many religious people, some claim they are all the same, while others claim they are all different - which is it ?

2.  We experience the reality of God in our daily lives as God intervenes in ways that defy the things that can be known about this world and it’s limitations (miracles big and small)

please provide an example of your (or theirs) tangible interaction with God in daily life. 

3. Some of us have physical encounters with Jesus as I have had on several occasions 

could you tell us about it ? did God come to your house and watch t.v. with you or something ? what did you and God do together during these physical encounters ?

4.  God sends others into our lives with confirmations that they could not possibly be aware of

so nobody knows when your God sends others into people's lives except you ?

5.  The Apostle Paul notes that anyone who does not have a personal relationship with Jesus is cursed

please explain how you can have a tangible personal relationship with Jesus (and why not God ? i thought they were different as you indicated in #1 ?)

Skrekk
Sophomore Participates
17.2.7  Skrekk  replied to  livefreeordie @17.2.4    6 years ago
Some of us have physical encounters with Jesus as I have had on several occasions

Anal or just heavy petting?

Skrekk
Sophomore Participates
17.3  Skrekk  replied to  magnoliaave @17    6 years ago
And, there are other religions who believe in a God or is this just about the Christian God.

According to Mr Saccone this is just about the "god" of far right wing Christian extremists, the one who hates all the same people he hates.    That's the only real imaginary friend.

Pedro
Professor Participates
19  Pedro    6 years ago

Saccone seems a bit jaded. It's almost as if the people actually stated their will, and in a traditionally conservative area, that really says something about Saccone and his view on what happens when democracy is fully functional. I guess he should have tried speaking with and actually understanding the voters like Conor did. That probably seems an alien notion to somebody who believes their corporate donors dictate everything.

DRHunk
Freshman Silent
20  DRHunk    6 years ago

Might have been said already, but how can you hate what does not exist?  ....Hmmm, well, Santa Clause does not exist but i do know some people that hate him. 

Maybe the question should be do you hate the Idea of God.  Hard to hate the idea of a deity, but easy to hate the description of that deity given by the Old Testaments and by his actions or inactions as you will, since the Old Testaments.

I think it could have all been done better, as do a lot of people, and if there is any truth to that statement then the God described by Christians is a false God.  He a false God because he does not realistically exhibit any of the characteristics normally attributed to such a being.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
20.1  TᵢG  replied to  DRHunk @20    6 years ago
... but easy to hate the description of that deity ...

Indeed.

Enoch
Masters Quiet
21  Enoch    6 years ago

Dear Friend Krishna: I prefer not to hate, and not for anyone to hate anyone or anything.

In my seventh decade of life, still not seen any good come out of hatred.

An alternative I much prefer is to embrace the best in others.  

Be there for them when and as requested an needed.

To get them through the rough patches.

To bring out their best side.

To enable them to enjoy the good times.

The ones who make all that the hardest for me are most probably the ones most in need of being embraced.

Onward and Upward.

Enoch.

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
22  Thrawn 31    6 years ago

I hate god in the same way I hate other mythical characters, I simply don't care enough about them to waste that much energy. Certainly the biblical god is a dick, that is without question, but hate? Nah, not worth the effort.

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
23  Thrawn 31    6 years ago
Evolution (biological evolution) is very well explained.   Modern advances in genetics provide another major tool that is cross-verifying the findings in evolutionary sciences.   This is so well known one must actually put forth effort to not see it.

What is really funny is that when you get right down to it, the Theory of Evolution is actually more heavily supported and well explained than the Theory of Gravity. It may well be one of the most heavily supported theories in all of science. 

Gordy327
Professor Expert
23.1  Gordy327  replied to  Thrawn 31 @23    6 years ago
It may well be one of the most heavily supported theories in all of science.

Not to mention it has probably withstood some of the greatest scrutiny too.

charger 383
Professor Silent
24  charger 383    6 years ago

If there is a God, he should send his PR team straight to the back part of hell.  They have done a lousy job for him.

Gordy327
Professor Expert
24.1  Gordy327  replied to  charger 383 @24    6 years ago
If there is a God, he should send his PR team straight to the back part of hell. They have done a lousy job for him.

To be fair, they did give him a big makeover in between the old and new testaments.

Skrekk
Sophomore Participates
24.1.1  Skrekk  replied to  Gordy327 @24.1    6 years ago
To be fair, they did give him a big makeover in between the old and new testaments.

Only because his followers (and authors) realized he was a bit of a dick.

Dismayed Patriot
Professor Quiet
24.1.2  Dismayed Patriot  replied to  Gordy327 @24.1    6 years ago
they did give him a big makeover

Religions have been doing that for centuries. Every few years another sect will sprout up claiming a different interpretation of some aspect of the unproven doctrine often reinventing the religions primary players into more palatable versions based on changing attitudes and morals. From the Church of England splitting off from Catholicism over divorce to Martin Luther and his Protestantism, there are now over 33,000 different Christian denominations with each one adapting their vision of God into a character they and their followers prefer.

Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו
Junior Participates
24.1.3  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו  replied to  Gordy327 @24.1    6 years ago

But it didn't take with the  rabble. 

Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו
Junior Participates
25  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו    6 years ago

It's impossible to hate something that doesn't exist.