╌>

Teacher accidentally fires gun at school

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  krishna  •  6 years ago  •  11 comments

Teacher accidentally fires gun at school

seasidehighschoolcalifornia.jpg

PHOTO:  Seaside High School in Seaside California is seen here in this undated Google Maps image (Google Maps)

A California teacher is believed to have accidentally fired his weapon in a classroom today.

Seaside police officers were summoned to Seaside High School Tuesday after the teacher, who was teaching a public safety class, discharged the weapon, police said in a statement.

Officials said one student was injured either by a bullet fragment or ceiling debris and transported to a local hospital by his parent for treatment.

Related:  A county sheriff apologized Tuesday for accidentally leaving backup gun in Michigan school gym locker room.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Krishna
Professor Expert
1  seeder  Krishna    6 years ago

after the teacher, who was teaching a public safety class, discharged the weapon, 

Trump has advocated some teachers be armed-- and of course they must take some gun safety classes. 

We need more guns like this in the schools-- as well as more safety classes (taught by qualified instructors like this one!)

It Is ME
Masters Guide
1.1  It Is ME  replied to  Krishna @1    6 years ago

Guns need to be banned from Californians !

Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom
Professor Guide
2  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom    6 years ago

I guess that kid is going to have plenty of money for college.

Krishna
Professor Expert
2.1  seeder  Krishna  replied to  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom @2    6 years ago

Certainly easier than a student loan . . .

devangelical
Professor Principal
2.2  devangelical  replied to  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom @2    6 years ago

Apparently republicans think it's more efficient to have the teachers shoot the kids now.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
3  Buzz of the Orient    6 years ago

This incident wins the 2018 IRONY Prize.

It Is ME
Masters Guide
3.1  It Is ME  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @3    6 years ago
This incident wins the 2018 IRONY Prize.

No Doubt ! laughing dude

Mark in Wyoming
Professor Silent
4  Mark in Wyoming     6 years ago

well I read about this , and did the usual "Paul Harvey" I usually do and waited for some more information on " the rest of the story" which is still forthcoming , but with what is currently out, I do have a few serious questions .

Being this is in California , their state laws dictate that no firearms are allowed on a school campus , unless it is the police , or authorized security, without the districts permission.

Turns out this teacher was neither even though he was a reserve officer with the local PD, but there is a federal law that allows those with valid police ID's to carry even in supposed "gun free zones", he most likely thought this applied to him as well. ( that actually is dependant on the PD itself).

As a result , this "teacher", has been suspended both from the PD as a reserve officer, if it were me his status would have been dismissed with extreme prejudice,  and from his teaching position , same thoughts dismissed  on the spot for violation of district policies.

Now even IF he were doing a gun safety class ,  One never uses a functional firearm unless there have been measures taken to insure the firearm is actually in a safe condition to do so , that would entail to my mind , at least a double and triple and quadruple check to insure that it is NOT a live weapon, by at the least 2 qualified and trained individuals separately. this obviously didn't happen.

If I am understanding what I am reading correctly , this individual was not authorized by the school or the PD to have any sort of firearm on campus , be it live or a dummy gun so he basically broke the laws and should face the consequenses of his actions.

Now comes the only question that really matters to me , and since I have a good amount of LEO background , WTF was this guys duty weapon even doing out of its holster in the first place? Unless it was going to be used for its intended purpose as an LEO, it should have never left its holster being loaded.

seems common sense isn't all that common anymore, and when you start creating catagories of "only authorized ones" we all better make damn sure we are all on the same page , kinda reminds me of the video of the agent that claimed he was the only person in a classroom that was qualified and authorized to carry a firearm during a demonstration/class, only to immediately holster his weapon and subsiquintly shoot himself in the leg.....

Kavika
Professor Principal
4.1  Kavika   replied to  Mark in Wyoming @4    6 years ago

He is a reserve Police officer for the ciity...I wouldn't trust this guy with a water gun..

Mark in Wyoming
Professor Silent
4.1.1  Mark in Wyoming   replied to  Kavika @4.1    6 years ago

tend to agree with you on that.

luther28
Sophomore Silent
5  luther28    6 years ago

Putting the D in dumb.