╌>

In Memorial for Jonathan P

Category:  meta

By:  perrie-halpern  •  6 years ago  •  64 comments

In Memorial for Jonathan P

_v=1525285409

It is with great sadness that I have to tell the community of the passing of Jonathan P. He was also known as Jalameno at NV. He passed away on Saturday after a long battle with prostate cancer. He was only 56 years old.

He battled the disease with grace, always cracking a joke, stoic, optimistic. We had been friends for over 10 years, with the odd connection that his cousin and my husband were best friends from high school.

His wife Randi had just lived through the trauma of the Parkland shooting. She was a teacher there and lost 2 students and 2 staff friends. Even though Jon was sick, his sunny personality and tenacity, helped Randi through this dreadful experience. 

Jon leaves behind his beloved wife Randi, and his three children, Melissa, Alex and Noah. 

I will miss him greatly. One of the finest people I have had the pleasure to have met online or anywhere else. 

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Kavika
Professor Principal
2  Kavika     6 years ago

RIP Jonathon, I always enjoyed our back and forth on various subject. 

Tessylo
Professor Principal
3  Tessylo    6 years ago

I'm so sorry to hear that.  I'm not familiar with him but that's a shame.  Blessings to his family.  

Phoenyx13
Sophomore Silent
3.1  Phoenyx13  replied to  Tessylo @3    6 years ago
I'm so sorry to hear that.  I'm not familiar with him but that's a shame.  Blessings to his family.

Absolutely agree. I think i may have seen the name around from time to time - but that's it (that i can remember). Condolences to his family and friends.

Pedro
Professor Participates
4  Pedro    6 years ago

I've known Jonathan for about ten years. Always a great dude to chat with and he definitely broadened my perspective on more than one topic. He will be missed.

GaJenn78
Sophomore Silent
4.1  GaJenn78  replied to  Pedro @4    6 years ago

I've only been on NT since October, and I always found his comments pretty calming, meaning an in the middle approach. I enjoyed reading his thoughts. I will miss him. This totally stinks. I pray for his wife who is dealing with tragedy two fold now along with their children.  

Pedro
Professor Participates
4.1.1  Pedro  replied to  GaJenn78 @4.1    6 years ago

Yeah, he didn't have a mean bone in him for sure. Always moderate in his approach.

Spikegary
Junior Quiet
5  Spikegary    6 years ago

Damn.  One of the good ones, gone on to his reward.  I hope his family gets through the coming days, remembering the class and grace that he often showed.  Might be nice to share comments that are bound to be added with his wife.  It was prostarte cancer that started my dad on his final mortal journey. 

GaJenn78
Sophomore Silent
6  GaJenn78    6 years ago

I always enjoyed his perspective on the seeds. I have noticed his absence and this is sad news..... I will miss him! Perrie, I'm sorry for your loss first and foremost, I am also sorry for the NT community! RIP Jonathan P, I pray for peace and healing for your family.

JaneDoe
Sophomore Silent
7  JaneDoe    6 years ago

That is very sad news. RIP Jonathon you will be missed.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
8  JohnRussell    6 years ago

RIP Jonathan P.

He had a knowledge , and facility with that knowledge,  about the situation in the middle east that was second to none on Newstalkers. He knew so much about it I wouldn't even bother trying to refute him on the topic. 

Sad day for our forum. 

GaJenn78
Sophomore Silent
8.1  GaJenn78  replied to  JohnRussell @8    6 years ago

Indeed it is.... very well put, John

pat wilson
Professor Participates
9  pat wilson    6 years ago

So sorry to hear this. He was a great member here.

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
10  Jasper2529    6 years ago

Jalmeno was one of the first people who warmly welcomed me to Newsvine. His comments were well-presented and thoughtful. I learned a great deal from him.

Studiusbagus
Sophomore Quiet
11  Studiusbagus    6 years ago

I didn't know him as Jonathon P, but I knew him as Jalameno on NV.  Always had a light approach to commenting, no matter what he thought he never posted meanly and usually always had an interesting perspective that I could wrap my head around.

I had no idea he lived so close either.

May he rest in peace, I wish the best for his family.

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
13  Paula Bartholomew    6 years ago

RIP Sir.  I remember him well and always enjoyed his comments.

Sunshine
Professor Quiet
14  Sunshine    6 years ago

He had a kind soul.  

RIP 

Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom
Professor Guide
15  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom    6 years ago

His family, especially his wife, has been hit with so much in such a short period of time.  I'm embarrassed to think of the insignificant things that have upset me recently.

He will be missed.

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
16  Raven Wing    6 years ago

May he rest in peace. He will truly be missed here on NT. His wife and family will be in my prayers for the strength to see them through their loss, after having been through so much emotional trauma with the Parkland shooting. 

May the Creator hold him lovingly in His hands as now takes the next steps of his own eternal journey. 

nv-wa-do-hi-ya-dv (Peace)

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
18  Sean Treacy    6 years ago

I'm very sorry to hear that.  He was always the adult in the room, offering level headed, insightful analysis. NT is diminished without him.

RIP 

Telo
Freshman Silent
19  Telo    6 years ago

Hate to hear that.  He was definitely one of the good ones.

Split Personality
Professor Guide
20  Split Personality    6 years ago

Fair winds and following seas JP...

Dean Moriarty
Professor Quiet
21  Dean Moriarty    6 years ago

Very sad indeed and extremely unfortunate they didn’t detect it early enough to save him. 

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
21.1  author  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Dean Moriarty @21    6 years ago

It is a cautionary tale to all you men out there. Jon got prostate cancer in his 40's. If your doc is not giving you an examination, demand one, or find a new doc. 

MrFrost
Professor Expert
21.1.2  MrFrost  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @21.1    6 years ago
or find a new doc.

Preferably one with small fingers. 

lennylynx
Sophomore Quiet
21.1.3  lennylynx  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @21.1    6 years ago

stunned  You mean...you mean...the FINGER?!?!!?  chicken

Spikegary
Junior Quiet
21.1.4  Spikegary  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @21.1    6 years ago

My dad was diagnosed in his later 70s, they did the radical surgery and he was cancer free for many years, then the cancer returned with a vengeance.  I don't fault anyone, he had regular checks before and after the surgery.  They say that the older every male is, the closer they are to having prostate cancer.  The only upside is that his family (and the Newstalker family) had the pleasure of his company while he fought the good fight.

Randy
Sophomore Participates
21.1.5  Randy  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @21.1    6 years ago

Get one yearly since 40...every man should...my doc insists as much as I do. I am 61 and would be a fool not to. And don't forget your colonoscopy every 10 years at 50 and every 5 after 60. You don't want that kind of surprise and it's so easy to catch beforehand! Your insurance or Medicare will completely pay for it so you have no excuse whatsoever...except cowardice. The colonoscopy applies to women too! You have no excuse either!

Cerenkov
Professor Silent
21.1.6  Cerenkov  replied to  Randy @21.1.5    6 years ago

The frequency increases based on the type and number of polyps. I'm on the three year plan.

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
22  sandy-2021492    6 years ago

A sad loss, too early.  Condolences to his family.

Ender
Professor Principal
23  Ender    6 years ago

:(   To young.

My condolences to his family.

Peace

Galen Marvin Ross
Sophomore Participates
24  Galen Marvin Ross    6 years ago

I'm going to miss him, Jonathan P was one of those folks I liked debating with on here and, at NV. May you find a comfortable cottage in the Elysian Fields.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
25  Vic Eldred    6 years ago

I was wondering what happened to him.  I know I'll miss him and the top hat avatar.

Studiusbagus
Sophomore Quiet
25.1  Studiusbagus  replied to  Vic Eldred @25    6 years ago
I know I'll miss him and the top hat avatar.

Wrong Johnathon....He's/ she's still alive.

On Newsvine Jonathon P. was Jalameno.

magnoliaave
Sophomore Quiet
26  magnoliaave    6 years ago

I just won't accept it.

1stwarrior
Professor Participates
27  1stwarrior    6 years ago

RIP Jonathan - you gave us a lot of wisdom and guidance - thank you.

lennylynx
Sophomore Quiet
28  lennylynx    6 years ago

That's the thing about life, it's just temporary.  None of us have any idea when ours will end.  Always enjoy each day as much as possible, and don't take life too seriously.  Try to do someone a favor each day, and always be there for your friends and family.

MrFrost
Professor Expert
29  MrFrost    6 years ago

Always a  great person, he will be missed. Really sucks to hear this. My condolences to his family and friends. RIP Johnathan, may the winds always be at your back. He is the type of person we should all aspire to be in an online community. 

PJ
Masters Quiet
30  PJ    6 years ago

JP was one of the few that I had a high regard for.  I wish I had told him.  RIP Jonathan

charger 383
Professor Silent
31  charger 383    6 years ago

sorry to hear this

Enoch
Masters Quiet
33  Enoch    6 years ago

His loss is felt by all in our community here.

Those needing to navigate the mourning process are encouraged to contact me by site Private Note.

Then by private email for such Pastoral Care as they need and want on their terms in total confidence.

Comfort, Peace and Abundant Blessings to One and All Here, as to His Family and Those Close to Him As Well.

Enoch.  

LynneA
Freshman Silent
35  LynneA    6 years ago

As we recall the man, our community will miss him greatly.  May his friends and family join in providing comfort and support to each other now and the future.

sixpick
Professor Quiet
36  sixpick    6 years ago

I just happen to look on the left side of the screen just now and saw this.  I really hate this.  You would have never known he was suffering and he seemed to be a very fine person.  God bless his family.

Colour Me Free
Senior Quiet
37  Colour Me Free    6 years ago

Condolences to the family and friends, may they find Peace in the coming days...

If Jon's calm and rational comments were any indicator on how he lived his life - his presents will be missed by many..

Peace to you Jon - your pain is now gone...

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
39  Buzz of the Orient    6 years ago

I just got back home after having been away for a while and was shocked by this news - nobody knew, perhaps Perrie did, but what a loss.  His comments are going to be missed by all of us, because his were just about the most "common sense" comments to grace NT.  Condolences to his family, already suffering from the shock of the Parkland shooting.

T.Fargo
Freshman Silent
40  T.Fargo    6 years ago

Blessings be to Jonathon's Wife, family & friends.

Shalom

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
41  Hal A. Lujah    6 years ago

I never know what to say at times like this, but I would be remiss to not comment on such a noble guy.  Jonathan used to chide me that “just because someone’s prayers don’t get answered doesn’t mean that there’s no God, it just means they asked for something, and the answer happened to be ‘no’.”  I imagine there are a lot of people in his circle right now who believe they’ve been denied a request.  His absense will be a loss for the forum, but a far more tragic loss for those who were a part of his world.

tomwcraig
Junior Silent
42  tomwcraig    6 years ago

I didn't have many interactions with him here or on Newsvine, but I did like his style and his well thought out arguments.  I am sorry to hear that his family was affected by the Parkland shooting and the failures at all levels of law enforcement that ended up allowing that to happen.  I wish his family all the best and assure them that they will see him again and that he will always be with them in their hearts.

kpr37
Professor Silent
43  kpr37    6 years ago

I just stop by occasionally now and am so sorry to hear that. He was a good friend who I will miss. I had no idea he was not well. My condolences. 

lib50
Professor Silent
44  lib50    6 years ago

I'm so sorry to hear this, as I face my father's prostate cancer, and now probable kidney cancer.   RIP Jonathan,  may you be pain free as your soul soars.  Sending light to his family, so young to leave this soon.  The circle of life continues whether we are ready for it or not. 

Larry Hampton
Professor Participates
45  Larry Hampton    6 years ago

I met Jonathan on NV ten years or more ago, and have the fondest memories of many times battling in the trenches of The Zionvine side by side. I can't express how very much I enjoyed his company, he was really one of the best I've ever met, not just online. A brother from another mother, and will truly be missed. Jonanthan made us all better just by being here. Good bye for now buddy; I will see you again one day. 

KatPen
Freshman Silent
46  KatPen    6 years ago

So sorry to hear this sad news.  May his family and friends (Including those here on NT) be blessed with peace and comfort.  

The Old Breed Marine
Freshman Silent
47  The Old Breed Marine    6 years ago

I've learned a lot of things over the course of our conjoined blogging experience, but one of the harder things is the sense of loss for our friends we've never met. We come to know one another, and we talk, chat, debate, laugh. 

Whether we also agree is immaterial, as we are a community of people, and that also means losing people, losing friends

I've been unplugged for a while now, but I remember Jonathan, and considered him a friend.

Good travels my friend, I hope your journey brings you peace and joy.

RIP.

-Michael J. Lonkouski

Randy
Sophomore Participates
48  Randy    6 years ago

RIP Jonathon. I am so sorry that you have passed but so happy you are no longer suffering. My sincere condolences and wishes for peace to your friends and family.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
49  Trout Giggles    6 years ago

I'm so sorry to hear this. RIP, Johnathon. My condolences to his family

Krishna
Professor Expert
50  Krishna    6 years ago

I knew him from the old days on NV (when he was "Jalmeno"). One of the many ways he was unusual is that he always maintained a high level of discourse-- discussing the actual issues without resorting to attacking other in the discussion.

We supported each other in many heated debates with other (less well informed) people. And in addition to his remaining civil, he was unsusally well-informed about the topics he discussed.

He will be missed :-(

Cerenkov
Professor Silent
51  Cerenkov    6 years ago

I'm sad to hear of this. I hope his family has adequate support.

1ofmany
Sophomore Silent
52  1ofmany    6 years ago

I just saw this and I'm saddened to learn that he is no longer with us. Although we weren't always on the same side of an argument, he was a great asset to the site. My condolences to his friends and family. I will miss him.