╌>

Miss America Pageant Drops Swimsuit Competition

Category:  News & Politics

By:  johnrussell  •  6 years ago  •  78 comments

Miss America Pageant Drops Swimsuit Competition

Gretchen Carlson, head of the Miss America organization announced today that there will no longer be a swimsuit parade or judging in that annual competition. Carlson says that many young women have stayed away from joining the event because they don't want to appear on stage in a "swimsuit and high heels".  Carlson says she has received many emails , letters and messages from young women who say they would like to join Miss America once the swimsuit requirement is dropped. 

So, in memory of the Miss America swimsuit competition

See the source image

See the source image

and some oldies

08d7b833707ae86b370ab9c8a3e0c97c.jpg

See the source image

See the source image

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1  author  JohnRussell    6 years ago

Miss America without the swimsuits is like a day without sunshine

See the source image

Freefaller
Professor Quiet
2  Freefaller    6 years ago

Meh I've never watched the competition in the past, this new format isn't going to change that.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
2.1  author  JohnRussell  replied to  Freefaller @2    6 years ago

All our great traditions are falling to political correctness. 

Galen Marvin Ross
Sophomore Participates
2.1.1  Galen Marvin Ross  replied to  JohnRussell @2.1    6 years ago

Yep, like dragging someone behind a pickup that is a different color, race or, sexual orientation. I really miss listening to the body thump along the road. /sarc

Freefaller
Professor Quiet
2.1.2  Freefaller  replied to  JohnRussell @2.1    6 years ago

Possibly some consider this a great tradition, however as indicated I've never given pageants much attention one way or another.

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
2.1.3  Greg Jones  replied to  Galen Marvin Ross @2.1.1    6 years ago

No value.

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
2.1.4  Raven Wing  replied to  Greg Jones @2.1.3    6 years ago
No value.

And yours are?

Galen Marvin Ross
Sophomore Participates
2.1.5  Galen Marvin Ross  replied to  Greg Jones @2.1.3    6 years ago
No value.

LOL, in your unqualified opinion.

Tacos!
Professor Guide
2.1.6  Tacos!  replied to  JohnRussell @2.1    6 years ago

They might claim it's something like that, but I bet they just don't get the ratings because the internet has changed the way we ogle hot women.

JBB
Professor Principal
3  JBB    6 years ago

I'm surprised Miss America swimsuit competitions continued as long as they did...

The ideals of The Miss America Pageant System are talent, intelligence and heart.

Contestant with the most of these should not be disqualified by their physicality...

The horseflesh aspect of the swimsuit competition was cringe worthy in my opine.

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
3.1  Raven Wing  replied to  JBB @3    6 years ago
The horseflesh aspect of the swimsuit competition was cringe worthy in my opine

Indeed! And there are far more ways a woman can be beautiful than just her nipples and 'p**y being semi covered. It is totally disgusting, and is totally unfair to the women who are competing to have to agree to all but strip totally naked in order to see if their t*ts and p**y look good enough. It is completely denigrating and demeaning. 

cjcold
Professor Quiet
3.1.1  cjcold  replied to  Raven Wing @3.1    6 years ago

Our current president sponsored these contests and loved going backstage to ogle children in the nude.

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
3.1.2  Raven Wing  replied to  cjcold @3.1.1    6 years ago

Indeed he did. There were many complaints from the women that Trump would barge in while they were changing during the contest and watched them undress and dress. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Teen Beauty Queens Say Trump Walked In On Them Changing

And he would say “Don’t worry, ladies, I’ve seen it all before.”

"Trump, who owned the Miss Universe, Miss USA, and Miss Teen USA pageants from 1996 until last year, has publicly bragged about invading beauty queen dressing rooms, calling it one of his prerogatives of ownership.

“I’ll tell you the funniest is that I’ll go backstage before a show and everyone’s getting dressed,” Trump told Howard Stern in   recordings released Saturday by CNN . “No men are anywhere, and I’m allowed to go in, because I’m the owner of the pageant and therefore I’m inspecting it. ... ‘Is everyone OK?’ You know, they’re standing there with no clothes. ‘Is everybody OK?’ And you see these incredible looking women, and so I sort of get away with things like that."

Source:  https://www.buzzfeed.com/kendalltaggart/teen-beauty-queens-say-trump-walked-in-on-them-changing?utm_term=.gulMGEM033#.ldm59w5bMM

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Yeah.....a real classy man. And the vulgar horn dog is our President. Shameful eek

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
3.2  Greg Jones  replied to  JBB @3    6 years ago

Great....now all the fatties, and uglies, and dummies will have a chance. Perhaps they can all wear matching burkas while twirling a baton. .

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
3.3  Vic Eldred  replied to  JBB @3    6 years ago
The ideals of The Miss America Pageant System are talent, intelligence and heart.

What?

IT WAS A BEAUTY PAGEANT !

Liberals can chalk up the destruction of another event that was of importance to someone other than themselves. 

JBB
Professor Principal
3.3.1  JBB  replied to  Vic Eldred @3.3    6 years ago
"It is a beauty pageant".

The owners of The Miss America Pageant say it is much more than just a beauty pageant and has "evolved".

From Wikipedia: " Miss America is a beauty pageant that is held annually and is open to women from the United States  between the ages of 17 and 25. [2] Originating in 1921 as a "bathing beauty revue", the contest is now judged on competitors' talent performances and interviews in addition to their physical appearance".

I do not think it imperative young women strip down to be judged. Neither does Miss America, apparently...

cjcold
Professor Quiet
3.3.2  cjcold  replied to  Vic Eldred @3.3    6 years ago

CoC Violation "BF"

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
3.3.3  Vic Eldred  replied to  cjcold @3.3.2    6 years ago

No Value "BF"

Next Time simply Flag the comment without the commentary 

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
3.3.4  Vic Eldred  replied to  Vic Eldred @3.3.3    6 years ago

Thanks for the suggestion.

Is it possible that you can correct a blatant violation by a liberal without coming back at a Conservative?  Maybe I'm wrong but it seems like it's going on all the time. I hope youre not intimidated by them.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
3.3.5  Texan1211  replied to  JBB @3.3.1    6 years ago

Gee, it is a tradition, and I know how fond you are of them!

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
5  Raven Wing    6 years ago

I for one am glad to see this part of the contest gone. The type of swimsuits that are now being worn are nothing but misogynist eye candy and demeaning. The beauty of a woman should not depend on how much of her body is made available to be judged as to where she is fit for the crown. Beauty is far more than just an all but naked body to be pranced around to be ogled by the men involved and does not fully depict if the woman is truly beautiful or not. 

Just my own opinion, and I am sure most of the men here will feel otherwise.  

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
5.1  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  Raven Wing @5    6 years ago

Penises all over the country will have a moment of silence at the loss of the boner chow (a term coined by my cousin meaning anything that fed an erection).

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
5.1.1  Raven Wing  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @5.1    6 years ago

Agreed. And their eyeballs will have to return to their original sockets. 

Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom
Professor Guide
5.1.2  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom  replied to  Raven Wing @5.1.1    6 years ago
Agreed. And their eyeballs will have to return to their original sockets.

I've never seen a penis with eyeballs, but it wouldn't surprise me one bit. Wink  

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
5.1.3  Raven Wing  replied to  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom @5.1.2    6 years ago

Yeah....that's quite a combination alright. I have never seen one with eyeballs either, but, with some guys ya just never know. chuckle   Too Much Info

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
5.1.4  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom @5.1.2    6 years ago

It does have one eye and it usually spits when excited.

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
6  Hal A. Lujah    6 years ago

Next year's contenders:

thDUPRDLTE.jpg

Tacos!
Professor Guide
7  Tacos!    6 years ago

ROFLMAO. Why would anyone watch now? Who's the next Miss America? Some fat, bucktoothed feminazi who can juggle bowling pins?

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
7.1  Raven Wing  replied to  Tacos! @7    6 years ago
Some fat, bucktoothed feminazi who can juggle bowling pins?

How very misogynist of you. Do you think that a woman can't be beautiful unless she is all but butt naked? Would you like to see your daughter or granddaughter having to strut around the stage looking like a pole banger in order to be considered 'beautiful'? 

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
7.1.1  author  JohnRussell  replied to  Raven Wing @7.1    6 years ago

I do have one question though Raven. If they will no longer judge them by the shape of their bodies will they also no longer judge them by how pretty their faces are?  That would be logical.    If so, why have an in person contest at all? Just let everyone submit their qualifications such as education, opinions, etc through an internet form and then a computer program can pick the winner. 

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
7.1.2  Raven Wing  replied to  JohnRussell @7.1.1    6 years ago
will they also no longer judge them by how pretty their faces are?

The women don't have to strip all but naked in order tell how pretty their faces are. Or do you think that requiring a woman be be all but buck naked to tell if she is beautiful or not? 

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
7.1.3  author  JohnRussell  replied to  Raven Wing @7.1.2    6 years ago

I actually think they should go back to all of them having to wear the same swimsuit, and one piece would be fine. 

But they have made up their minds and I'm sure that is that. 

It is a beauty contest. If it's not going to be a beauty contest anymore then just put the thing out of it's misery. 

What are they going to do on the tv show? have two hours worth of "interviews" ? 

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
7.1.4  Raven Wing  replied to  JohnRussell @7.1.3    6 years ago

"I actually think they should go back to all of them having to wear the same swimsuit, and one piece would be fine"

That I can agree with. While I don't think it is necessary to judge a half naked woman in such a contest, at least they would be better covered and all wearing the same one piece suit, not looking like they are ready for stroll on a nude beach.

When I was modeling we wore one piece suits. Even though two piece suits were available, we were not expected to wear them. I did a lot of exotic gown modeling as well, but, covering up well was required at all times. And I worked the runways at Nordstrums Spring and Fall fashion lines presented by the designers as well. And I was also in several beauty contests, and we were never expected to be nearly naked. 

So I do have some experience in what I am talking about. 

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
7.1.5  Greg Jones  replied to  JohnRussell @7.1.3    6 years ago
If it's not going to be a beauty contest anymore then just put the thing out of it's misery.

I agree, and the evening gowns are also gone. It appears the politically correct liberal femi-nazis have struck again.

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
7.1.6  Raven Wing  replied to  JohnRussell @7.1.3    6 years ago
What are they going to do on the tv show? have two hours worth of "interviews" ?

There are plenty of other ways to judge a woman on her beauty than having her strip nearly buck naked on TV like whores in a brothel to be ogled and paraded before potential customers to decide which one they want to take to bed. 

321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu
Sophomore Guide
7.1.7  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu   replied to  Raven Wing @7.1.6    6 years ago
There are plenty of other ways to judge a woman on her beauty than having her strip nearly buck naked on TV like whores in a brothel to be ogled and paraded before potential customers to decide which one they want to take to bed.

True but your not going to get the ratings.

Ratings = $$$$$$$$$   $$$$$$$$ = prizes   prizes = contestants

MonsterMash
Sophomore Quiet
7.1.8  MonsterMash  replied to  Raven Wing @7.1    6 years ago

I like pole bangers

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
7.1.9  Raven Wing  replied to  MonsterMash @7.1.8    6 years ago

Giggle  good one

Sophomore Guide
7.1.10  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu   replied to  MonsterMash @7.1.8    6 years ago

laughing dude

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
7.1.11  Raven Wing  replied to  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu @7.1.7    6 years ago

However, their ratings have been going down for some time. Beauty contests are losing interest as being passe, and people are getting tired of seeing women parading around all but naked. Even a good thing gets old after a while. 

Freefaller
Professor Quiet
7.1.12  Freefaller  replied to  Raven Wing @7.1.11    6 years ago
However, their ratings have been going down for some time. Beauty contests are losing interest as being passe

Out of curiosity I did a little research and yes you're correct viewership is now 1/4 what it was in the late 70's.  It's possible I suppose that televised pageants may eventually go the way of the dodo.

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
7.1.14  Raven Wing  replied to  Freefaller @7.1.12    6 years ago
It's possible I suppose that televised pageants may eventually go the way of the dodo.

Very good possibility. And in the last few years thee has been a good bit of controversy with the winners and the program itself. It is very likely that it will soon go the way of other fade outs. People have too may other choices to choose from to spend their time watching, and loss of interest with the beauty contests is growing more and more. When the sponsors find that there are less and less viewers they will start to pull their advertising, as some have may have already done. So that will be less money they they can afford to produce the contest going forward. Even the Miss World contest is losing interest as well. 

Tacos!
Professor Guide
7.1.15  Tacos!  replied to  Raven Wing @7.1    6 years ago
Do you think that a woman can't be beautiful unless she is all but butt naked?

No, but apparently the Miss America pageant now thinks that being smart and pretty are mutually exclusive. And, by the way, why are you bringing nudity into it when there has never been nudity in the pageant and I didn't mention it?

How very misogynist of you.

I think you need to define misogyny and then demonstrate how anything I said satisfies that definition. It's clear to me that you don't know what you're talking about. The Miss America pageant was founded as a beauty contest designed to keep people in Atlantic City past Labor Day. If you remove the beauty aspect, what's the point? It's a different event. Do you really imagine people have been watching the show all these years hoping to see unattractive women express their political views or play the violin? Seriously? 

I didn't invent the pageant. I'm just observing what it is and why people have paid attention to it all these years. That doesn't make a misogynist. But I'm not shocked someone with no argument or real point to make would resort to erroneous labeling of someone.

Tacos!
Professor Guide
7.1.16  Tacos!  replied to  Raven Wing @7.1.2    6 years ago
Or do you think that requiring a woman be be all but buck naked to tell if she is beautiful or not?

It was conceived as a physical beauty contest. How else are you supposed to determine a winner?

Tacos!
Professor Guide
7.1.17  Tacos!  replied to  Raven Wing @7.1.11    6 years ago
people are getting tired of seeing women parading around all but naked

No one is tired of that. You do know what the internet is primarily used for, right?

Years ago everyone tuned in to the pageant, just like everyone bought the Sports Illustrated Swimsuit Issue, just like Playboy could still make money selling magazines. The internet has changed all of that, but only to the extent that the source of the ogling is different. You don't need Miss America to ogle hot girls in swimsuits anymore. That's why it's ratings are falling, not because men got tired of looking at the female form.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
7.1.19  Texan1211  replied to    6 years ago

"Misogynist" is nothing more than a dog whistle now--kind of like how so many people shouted "racist" over every perceivable slight and it, too, lost meaning.

You can only cry wolf so many times before people just tune the noise out.

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
7.1.20  Raven Wing  replied to    6 years ago

Removed for context

That is totally untrue, as in being a lie, and a personal insult. YOU know NOTHING about me, but, you take it upon yourself to demean and denigrate me by posting such lies. 

I do not hate men and am not prejudice against any men. 

Deleted, CoC  {SP}

Texan1211
Professor Principal
7.1.21  Texan1211  replied to    6 years ago

removed for context

Texan1211
Professor Principal
7.1.22  Texan1211  replied to  Tacos! @7.1.15    6 years ago

it is easy for some to use "misogynist" at every turn. it doesn't even hold much meaning anymore because so many Bettys, Susans, and Lindas (sorry, couldn't think of the female equivalent of "Tom, Dick and Harry!")use it to describe virtually every man they disagree with.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
7.1.23  Buzz of the Orient  replied to    6 years ago

No more swimsuits?  No more gowns?  Maybe one day it'll end up being a burka contest.

Sophomore Guide
7.1.24  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu   replied to  Buzz of the Orient @7.1.23    6 years ago

LOL  

Yep we might as well and we better get lots of full size berkas at that.  

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
7.2  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  Tacos! @7    6 years ago

Dude, seriously, are you that really shallow?

Explorerdog
Freshman Silent
8  Explorerdog    6 years ago

Its an appearance contest and if judging it as such has become politically incorrect then by all means lay the dinosaur to rest. The contestants are not there for their witty social and political insight they are there to be judged for looks and looks alone, I say archive it to history.

MonsterMash
Sophomore Quiet
9  MonsterMash    6 years ago

Churchlady02.jpg Miss America 2019

Sophomore Guide
9.1  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu   replied to  MonsterMash @9    6 years ago

"I win ? Well.. Isn't that special ?"

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
12  Buzz of the Orient    6 years ago

Isn't the whole concept of a "Beauty Contest" considered demeaning these days? Isn't it offensive "political correctness" or "misogyny", or something causing loss of self esteem among those who cannot compete?  While we're at it, why not ban "Spelling Bees" since they could cause loss of self-esteem among those who cannot spell as well?  Maybe apply "Affirmative Action" in those contests, something like a score handicap for a golfer, or adding weight to a jockey in a horse race.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
12.1  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @12    6 years ago

Actually to be fair to a lot of women who could never win such a contest, and in compliance with affirmative action and preservation of self esteem, they could run a parallel contest called "Miss America Ugly Contest".

And the winner is....

lena.gif

Tacos!
Professor Guide
12.2  Tacos!  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @12    6 years ago
Isn't it offensive "political correctness" or "misogyny"

It's not misogyny to enjoy looking at pretty girls. Misogyny is a hatred of or prejudice against women.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
12.2.1  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Tacos! @12.2    6 years ago

Thank you. I was starting to think I was abnormal because I enjoy looking at pretty girls.

sixpick
Professor Quiet
13  sixpick    6 years ago

It'll give the feminazis a chance to compete and those with low testosterone levels a legitimate excuse for not being interested in watching