╌>

An Armed Man Spouting A Bizarre Right-Wing Conspiracy Theory Was Arrested After A Standoff At The Hoover Dam

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  johnrussell  •  6 years ago  •  102 comments

An Armed Man Spouting A Bizarre Right-Wing Conspiracy Theory Was Arrested After A Standoff At The Hoover Dam

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

An armed man was arrested Friday after driving an armored vehicle onto a bridge spanning the Hoover Dam and blocking traffic to demand the government “release the OIG report," a call spouted by believers of an internet conspiracy theory, in a 90-minute standoff with authorities.

Images captured during the standoff showed the driver parking a black armored truck across the southbound lanes of the Mike O'Callaghan–Pat Tillman Memorial Bridge at the Arizona–Nevada border around noon, snarling traffic.

The driver was identified as 30-year-old Matthew P. Wright of Henderson, Nevada, according to the Arizona Department of Public Safety.

In a statement, the department said Wright reportedly stood outside of the vehicle holding a sign that read "release the OIG report." The demand appears to refer to an unredacted Justice Department inspector general report, which the bizarre right-wing conspiracy theory known as "QAnon" suggests will expose the "deep state," a supposed shadowy network entrenched in the government.

In a video apparently filmed inside the vehicle and posted online by far-right activist Laura Loomer, the man says, "No more lies. No more bullshit. We the people demand full disclosure."

"We elected you to do a duty," the man continues, apparently addressing President Trump. "You said you were going to lock certain people up when you were elected. You have yet to do that."

Authorities closed the bridge and all lanes of US Route 93. Just before 1 p.m., the armored truck left the bridge and began traveling southbound on the highway, failing to stop for law enforcement. The truck ran over tire strips and eventually came to a stop on a dirt road several miles southeast of the bridge.

Wright exited the vehicle and was taken into custody without incident, authorities said. A rifle and a handgun were found inside the truck.

Wright was booked into the Mohave County Jail on charges of obstruction of a highway, endangerment, unlawful flight from law enforcement, misconduct involving a weapon, and making terrorist threats.

Mark Mills, a truck driver who was stuck in traffic during the standoff, told the Las Vegas Review-Journal he became panicked when he saw the armored truck blocking traffic.

“I wasn’t sure if he was trying to blow up the bridge or what,” he recalled.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1  seeder  JohnRussell    6 years ago

He's pissed because Trump didnt lock her up and wanted to blow up the Hoover Dam as his recourse. Ain't trumpsters grand? 

Kavika
Professor Principal
1.1  Kavika   replied to  JohnRussell @1    6 years ago

If he was on the bridge he was a distance from the actual dam. Depending on the amount of explosives he could have brought the bridge down but I doubt that he could have caused serious damage to the dam...The bridge would be bad enough..

If he had driven across the dam, that would be a different story. There are serious check points at both ends of the dam so he probably went for the bridge since there are no check points there.

I lived about 20 miles from there in the same place this nut lives, Henderson..

Anyhow, another fricking nut case. It seems that the US has a serious population of crazies.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1.1.1  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  Kavika @1.1    6 years ago

If he was on the bridge he was a distance from the actual dam

It's the thought that counts.

Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom
Professor Guide
1.1.2  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom  replied to  JohnRussell @1.1.1    6 years ago
It's the thought that counts.

Ha!!!

Split Personality
Professor Guide
1.1.3  Split Personality  replied to  Kavika @1.1    6 years ago

Scary, I have relatives in Henderson....

Ender
Professor Principal
1.2  Ender  replied to  JohnRussell @1    6 years ago

Shows how many nutjobs believe trump and fox news lies.

Tacos!
Professor Guide
1.3  Tacos!  replied to  JohnRussell @1    6 years ago
wanted to blow up the Hoover Dam

I haven't seen any evidence in any of the coverage that he had explosives.

epistte
Junior Guide
2  epistte    6 years ago

Tos Violation "BF"

user image
Freshman Silent
2.1    replied to  epistte @2    6 years ago
Removed for context

E.A this is Worth Keeping , Into the Blog it goes, many thanks

MonsterMash
Sophomore Quiet
2.2  MonsterMash  replied to  epistte @2    6 years ago
They should have tossed him over the side of the dam and maybe he would have gotten sucked through the generating turbines.

If he had been a Muslim trying to blow up the damn you would be saying " We don't know the entire story yet let's wait for all the facts before passing judgment "

epistte
Junior Guide
2.2.1  epistte  replied to  MonsterMash @2.2    6 years ago
If he had been a Muslim trying to blow up the damn you would be saying " We don't know the entire story yet let's wait for all the facts before passing judgment "

Arrest him, indict him and try him in a civil court. Then toss him over the dam. 

charger 383
Professor Silent
2.3  charger 383  replied to  epistte @2    6 years ago
Removed for context

using that term does not go well with your usual complaining 

epistte
Junior Guide
2.3.1  epistte  replied to  charger 383 @2.3    6 years ago
using that term does not go well with your usual complaining

I have to live with violent idiots like this and I'm tired of them being coddled by politicians and the media. 

charger 383
Professor Silent
2.3.2  charger 383  replied to  epistte @2.3.1    6 years ago

I agree with throw him off the dam

White trash is a racial slur

epistte
Junior Guide
2.3.3  epistte  replied to  charger 383 @2.3.2    6 years ago
I agree with throw him off the dam

Don't you have to be non-white for that comment to be racist? Context is critical. 

charger 383
Professor Silent
2.3.4  charger 383  replied to  epistte @2.3.3    6 years ago

If one of the members here that you regularly disagree with had used a comparable slur about people you favor, what would you say about them?   

epistte
Junior Guide
2.3.5  epistte  replied to  charger 383 @2.3.4    6 years ago

Would he be referring to someone of his own race or of a different race?

charger 383
Professor Silent
2.3.6  charger 383  replied to  epistte @2.3.5    6 years ago

how does that matter?  

epistte
Junior Guide
2.3.8  epistte  replied to  charger 383 @2.3.6    6 years ago
how does that matter?

OK, I am sorry for offending you. I won't do it again.

I'll even voluntarily take 3 days off if it makes you feel better.

charger 383
Professor Silent
2.3.9  charger 383  replied to  epistte @2.3.8    6 years ago

epistte,  I agree with you on many things and consider you a NT friend.  I am not offended or mad.

It struck me only because way you critical of others for things like that. 

NT would not be same without you, no need to stay away

epistte
Junior Guide
2.3.11  epistte  replied to    6 years ago
A year off would be better

Fill this form out and return it to my recently hired VP of customer service. If you have a problem with anything that I have said go to Helen Waite.

Thank you.

charger 383
Professor Silent
2.3.12  charger 383  replied to  epistte @2.3.11    6 years ago

Helen Waite, she worked for me before I retired.  Once a problem was referred to her, we never heard about it again. 

epistte
Junior Guide
2.3.13  epistte  replied to    6 years ago
A year off would be better

Do you feel threatened by my presence on NT?

Tessylo
Professor Principal
2.3.14  Tessylo  replied to  epistte @2.3.13    6 years ago
'Do you feel threatened by my presence on NT?'

Most deplorables are threatened by strong independent women with minds of their own.  

Tacos!
Professor Guide
2.5  Tacos!  replied to  epistte @2    6 years ago

You want to execute a guy for blocking traffic. How many thousands of Black Lives Matter protestors would you have murdered?

epistte
Junior Guide
2.5.1  epistte  replied to  Tacos! @2.5    6 years ago
You want to execute a guy for blocking traffic. How many thousands of Black Lives Matter protestors would you have murdered?

Obviously none.

You don't get sarcasm, again, and again. 

Tacos!
Professor Guide
2.5.2  Tacos!  replied to  epistte @2.5.1    6 years ago

No, you don't get that you don't get to say something sick with no sarc tag, reiterate it a couple times, and only claim sarcasm after a bunch of people give you shit for it. That's called bullshit.

Your words, nobody else's:

They should have tossed him over the side of the dam and maybe he would have gotten sucked through the generating turbines.

Good riddance to white trash.

Arrest him, indict him and try him in a civil court. Then toss him over the dam.

I have to live with violent idiots like this and I'm tired of them being coddled by politicians and the media.

And by the way, if THIS is true,

I speak sarcasm 90% of the time.

we all pretty much have license to dismiss almost anything you say from now on, because you just admitted that you're just here to troll people.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
2.5.3  Trout Giggles  replied to  Tacos! @2.5.2    6 years ago

Goodness me! Where's the poster who constantly complains about NT'ers making the topic about her/him?

MonsterMash
Sophomore Quiet
2.5.4  MonsterMash  replied to  Tacos! @2.5.2    6 years ago

applause

epistte
Junior Guide
2.5.5  epistte  replied to  Tacos! @2.5.2    6 years ago
we all pretty much have license to dismiss almost anything you say from now on, because you just admitted that you're just here to troll people.

Do not ever accuse me of trolling. What I would do to trolls would be prohibited to the Geneva conventions on war. 

It is not my problem that you are somehow intellectually unable to differentiate between trolling and sarcasm. 

This is trolling,

informal
make a deliberately offensive or provocative online post with the aim of upsetting someone or eliciting an angry response from them.
This is sarcasm, 
sar·casm
ˈsärˌkazəm/
noun
noun: sarcasm; plural noun: sarcasms
  1. the use of irony to mock or convey contempt.

MonsterMash
Sophomore Quiet
2.5.6  MonsterMash  replied to  epistte @2.5.1    6 years ago

And when called on an outrages statements you always try to back out it, again, and again by saying it was sarcasm when in fact it exposed your true feelings.

epistte
Junior Guide
2.5.7  epistte  replied to  MonsterMash @2.5.6    6 years ago
And when called on an outrages statements you always try to back out it, again, and again by saying it was sarcasm when in fact it exposed your true feelings

My bias against stupid and violent people who believe conspiracy theories?  How will I ever live down that horrific part of my character?

epistte
Junior Guide
2.5.9  epistte  replied to    6 years ago
Comment removed for CoC violation [ph]

I missed another juicy reply, again.

Tacos!
Professor Guide
2.5.10  Tacos!  replied to  epistte @2.5.5    6 years ago

Your solution is simple. Use the sarcasm tag. Why are you resisting that?

cjcold
Professor Quiet
2.5.11  cjcold  replied to  MonsterMash @2.5.6    6 years ago

The best of humor always carries a grain of truth.

epistte
Junior Guide
2.5.12  epistte  replied to  Tacos! @2.5.10    6 years ago

When I reply to you in the future I will always use the sarcasm tag.

s/.

/s.  A sign used on the internet by people to tell stupid people that they are being sarcastic, in the process defeating the purpose of sarcasm ...

epistte
Junior Guide
2.7  epistte  replied to  epistte @2    6 years ago
Tos Violation "BF"

What is the difference between a TOS violation and a CoC violation?

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
2.7.1  Hal A. Lujah  replied to  epistte @2.7    6 years ago

One is stupid and petty, the other is petty and stupid.

epistte
Junior Guide
2.7.2  epistte  replied to  Hal A. Lujah @2.7.1    6 years ago

How many crisp $20.00s do I need to mail to Badfish to make it go away? 

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
2.7.3  Trout Giggles  replied to  epistte @2.7.2    6 years ago

He'll probably want at least 5 of those

epistte
Junior Guide
2.7.4  epistte  replied to  Trout Giggles @2.7.3    6 years ago

I could put in a 6-pack of local microbrew if you think that it might help? Guys tend to go for that sort of thing.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
2.7.5  Trout Giggles  replied to  epistte @2.7.4    6 years ago

That might work. Don't forget the weed

epistte
Junior Guide
2.7.6  epistte  replied to  Trout Giggles @2.7.5    6 years ago

Weed is still illegal in Ohio thanks to Republican Mike DeWine who has a 16th-century stick up his butt.  Think Jeff Sessions w/o the obvious racism.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
2.7.7  Trout Giggles  replied to  epistte @2.7.6    6 years ago

Arkansas passed Medical Cannabis back in November 2016 and no dispensaries are dispensing. Florida passed MC at the same time and people are getting their medicine there already.

epistte
Junior Guide
2.7.8  epistte  replied to  Trout Giggles @2.7.7    6 years ago
Arkansas passed Medical Cannabis back in November 2016 and no dispensaries are dispensing. Florida passed MC at the same time and people are getting their medicine there already.

They decriminalized weed in Ohio for less than one ounce but they won't allow medical or recreational weed because the GOP use that issue to pander to the religious conservatives. Weed and abortion are the most common social issues to keep the Christian Taliban happy and voting Republican.

charger 383
Professor Silent
2.7.9  charger 383  replied to  epistte @2.7.4    6 years ago

hope you aren't mad at me

epistte
Junior Guide
2.7.10  epistte  replied to  charger 383 @2.7.9    6 years ago

nope.

MonsterMash
Sophomore Quiet
2.7.11  MonsterMash  replied to  epistte @2.7.8    6 years ago
Weed and abortion are the most common social issues to keep the Christian Taliban happy and voting Republican.

Although I haven't smoked weed in over 20 years I'm all for decriminalizing it for all users. BTW, I'm both Christian and conservative.

Tacos!
Professor Guide
2.7.12  Tacos!  replied to  epistte @2.7.8    6 years ago
Weed and abortion are the most common social issues to keep the Christian Taliban happy and voting Republican.

Bigotry.

Tacos!
Professor Guide
2.7.13  Tacos!  replied to  MonsterMash @2.7.11    6 years ago
I'm all for decriminalizing it for all users. BTW, I'm both Christian and conservative.

Me too.

Sunshine
Professor Quiet
2.7.14  Sunshine  replied to  MonsterMash @2.7.11    6 years ago
Although I haven't smoked weed in over 20 years I'm all for decriminalizing

I have noticed that when medical weed is legalized there are a lot more sick people all of sudden.  Laugh

epistte
Junior Guide
2.7.15  epistte  replied to  Tacos! @2.7.12    6 years ago

Bigotry.

The GOP's support for sexual, racial and religious bigotry is not new.

epistte
Junior Guide
2.7.16  epistte  replied to  Sunshine @2.7.14    6 years ago
I have noticed that when medical weed is legalized there are a lot more sick people all of sudden.

The evidence suggests otherwise,

A May 2013 study found that people with PTSD showed lower levels of a certain endocannabinoid known as anandamide in the area of their brains associated with fear and anxiety. Thus, fewer cannabinoid receptors were being activated, spurring PTSD along. In theory, using marijuana would boost concentrations of these beneficial cannabinoids, reducing symptoms of PTSD. “We know very well that people with PTSD who use marijuana often experience more relief from their symptoms than they do from antidepressants and other psychiatric medications,” said lead author Dr. Alexander Neumeister, of the Departments of Psychiatry and Radiology at New York University, in a press release .

In part, these calming effects could be the reasons why marijuana use has been linked to a 10 percent reduction in suicide rates , while also being considered for use in some Swiss prisons .

In such patients, the results really do need to be seen to be believed. In December, Medical Daily reported the story of Jacqueline Patterson, a Missouri mother of four whose cerebral palsy had left her with a severe stutter caused by muscle stiffness, which has also caused her severe pain and the inability to use her right arm correctly. With marijuana, she becomes a totally different person, able to speak, move, and overall become less tense.

“Cannabinoids have a complex action; it hits a number of important processes that cancers need to survive,” oncologist Dr. Wai Liu told The Huffington Post . “For that reason, it has really good potential over other drugs that only have one function. I am impressed by its activity profile, and feel it has a great future, especially if used with standard chemotherapies.”

Sunshine
Professor Quiet
2.7.18  Sunshine  replied to    6 years ago
That's a fact

It is!  and I think the irony was lost on some.

Tacos!
Professor Guide
2.7.19  Tacos!  replied to  epistte @2.7.15    6 years ago

You calling people Taliban just because you disagree with them on some political issues is bigotry. But you knew that.

epistte
Junior Guide
2.7.20  epistte  replied to  Tacos! @2.7.19    6 years ago
You calling people Taliban just because you disagree with them on some political issues is bigotry. But you knew that.

Once again you are very wrong. I am referring to them as the Christian Taliban, because like the Taliban, they seek to legislate their draconian religious beliefs as secular law.  We have a separation of church and state in the First Amendment that prevents others from having to obey your religious belifs or those beliefs of anyone esle.  If you want to wear a hair shirt and a crown of thorns, go ahead but do not think for one moment that you will be permitted to force others to obey your religious beliefs or to have them enforced by the state.  

The freedom of religion means the equal freedom for all people in the US to live and believe as they wish. Despite what you want to believe, it is not the freedom for the religious majority to enforce their religious idiocy on everyone else.  Your religious rights are not being trampled on because you are prevented from trampling on the religious and secular rights of everyone else.

Skrekk
Sophomore Participates
2.7.21  Skrekk  replied to  Tacos! @2.7.19    6 years ago
You calling people Taliban just because you disagree with them on some political issues is bigotry.

Seems like a very accurate analogy given that the Christian Taliban shares most of the same values as the Afghan Taliban, including the use of the state to enforce their sharia laws.

Sunshine
Professor Quiet
2.7.22  Sunshine  replied to  Tacos! @2.7.19    6 years ago
You calling people Taliban

they think it's cute.  why do they hate Christians?

epistte
Junior Guide
2.7.23  epistte  replied to  Sunshine @2.7.22    6 years ago
why do they hate Christians?

I have a deep-seated hatred of hypocrites.

When was Jesus a violent bigot?

cjcold
Professor Quiet
2.7.24  cjcold  replied to  epistte @2.7.4    6 years ago
Guys tend to go for that sort of thing

So do I flag you for that sexist comment or pop open another beer?

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
2.7.25  Raven Wing  replied to  cjcold @2.7.24    6 years ago
pop open another beer?

Thumbs Up 2  Party

epistte
Junior Guide
2.7.26  epistte  replied to  cjcold @2.7.24    6 years ago
So do I flag you for that sexist comment or pop open another beer?

It recently turned 5:00pm EDT, so drink it if you got it. 

cjcold
Professor Quiet
2.7.27  cjcold  replied to  epistte @2.7.26    6 years ago

I think "another" is the operative word here.

MonsterMash
Sophomore Quiet
3  MonsterMash    6 years ago

The man didn't have any explosives so it's obvious he didn't want to blow up the dam. The guy is pissed off at Trump that should make you as happy as a speckled puppy in a red wagon.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
3.1  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  MonsterMash @3    6 years ago

The man didn't have any explosives so it's obvious he didn't want to blow up the dam.

In all the excitement he probably forgot to put them in the truck.

Kavika
Professor Principal
3.1.1  Kavika   replied to  JohnRussell @3.1    6 years ago

Actually he did have explosives. He was full of hot air/gas like many righties.

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
3.1.2  Raven Wing  replied to  Kavika @3.1.1    6 years ago
He was full of hot air/gas like many righties

Thumbs Up 2  thumbs up

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
3.1.3  Trout Giggles  replied to  Kavika @3.1.1    6 years ago

I guess he had lunch at Taco Bell?

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
4  seeder  JohnRussell    6 years ago

A Guide to QAnon, the New King of Right-Wing Conspiracy Theories

George Soros, the Illuminati, and Snow White are all controlling the world according to a 4channer who has spawned a legion of supersleuths

Kavika
Professor Principal
4.1  Kavika   replied to  JohnRussell @4    6 years ago

Ah shit, I was convinced that is was Warren Buffet supported by MSN and the Clinton Foundation.

Curses, foiled again.

Galen Marvin Ross
Sophomore Participates
4.1.1  Galen Marvin Ross  replied to  Kavika @4.1    6 years ago

I thought the Mason's were involved as well.

Kavika
Professor Principal
4.1.2  Kavika   replied to  Galen Marvin Ross @4.1.1    6 years ago

Shhhhh, that's top secret. They are the un named 3rd party...covfefe

Galen Marvin Ross
Sophomore Participates
4.1.4  Galen Marvin Ross  replied to  Kavika @4.1.2    6 years ago
Shhhhh, that's top secret. They are the un named 3rd party...covfefe

Damn, I didn't get the memo on that. Sorry. laughing dude

Kavika
Professor Principal
4.1.5  Kavika   replied to    6 years ago

Covfefe Beast..Happy

Skrekk
Sophomore Participates
4.1.6  Skrekk  replied to  Kavika @4.1    6 years ago

I was kind of hoping that a secret basement in a pizza parlor would be part of the conspiracy.

epistte
Junior Guide
4.1.7  epistte  replied to  Skrekk @4.1.6    6 years ago

Is there a secret room inside of the dam for Hillary and friends? 

Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom
Professor Guide
4.1.9  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom  replied to  Kavika @4.1.2    6 years ago
They are the un named 3rd party...covfefe

Hahaha!!!  

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
4.2  Hal A. Lujah  replied to  JohnRussell @4    6 years ago

I came across an article about QAnon a couple months ago.  It was too bizarrely stupid (even for this forum) for me to post.  Some people's brains are like playdoh when it comes to being easily manipulated.

cjcold
Professor Quiet
4.3  cjcold  replied to  JohnRussell @4    6 years ago

And here I thought that it was ALEC and the Kochs that were the deep state.

Galen Marvin Ross
Sophomore Participates
5  Galen Marvin Ross    6 years ago
"We elected you to do a duty," the man continues, apparently addressing President Trump. "You said you were going to lock certain people up when you were elected. You have yet to do that."

Ummm, Mr. Nutjob, for future reference, someone has to actually commit a crime to be locked up.

bbl-1
Professor Quiet
6  bbl-1    6 years ago

Wow!  A MAGA bot that resembles Taliban.  This is great. 

Tacos!
Professor Guide
6.1  Tacos!  replied to  bbl-1 @6    6 years ago
A MAGA bot that resembles Taliban

In what way?

epistte
Junior Guide
6.1.1  epistte  replied to  Tacos! @6.1    6 years ago

He has a striking resemblance to these Taliban members, except for his skin color. 

Tacos!
Professor Guide
6.1.2  Tacos!  replied to  epistte @6.1.1    6 years ago

Those guys are all pretty white. Are you telling me the Vegas guy is black?

Tacos!
Professor Guide
7  Tacos!    6 years ago

Weirdo. I guess he got the attention he wanted, but blocking traffic isn't usually an effective way to get people on your side.

Split Personality
Professor Guide
8  Split Personality    6 years ago

The (famous) water intakes are located behind the dam in the Black canyon

and are specifically designed to keep out trash of all sorts, including people, so if the guy could swim, it would just be a 'symbolic' toss into deep water./s

colrivdam3.jpg