The KKK officially switched their presidential endorsement from Donald Trump to Hillary Clinton and donated $20,000 to the latter's campaign.

RATING

WHAT'S TRUE

A man claiming to be a Ku Klux Klan Grand Dragon told several media outlets that the KKK had changed their political allegiance from Donald Trump to Hillary Clinton and had donated $20,000 to the latter's campaign.

WHAT'S FALSE

The man claiming to be a Ku Klux Klan Grand Dragon made statements of questionable legitimacy and provided no evidence that he was anything but a media hoax.

ORIGIN

In mid-March 2016, purported Ku Klux Klan Grand Wizard William Quigg told several media outlets that he and his contemporaries had switched their presidential candidate of choice from Republican front-runner Donald Trump to Democratic hopeful Hillary Clinton:

We want Hillary Clinton to win. She is telling everybody one thing, but she has a hidden agenda. She’s telling everybody what they want to hear so she can get elected, because she’s Bill Clinton’s wife, she’s close to the Bushes. Once she’s in the presidency, she’s going to come out and her true colors are going to show. Border policies are going to be put in place. Our second amendment rights that she’s saying she’s against now, she’s not against. She’s just our choice for the presidency.

Although this information was widely disseminated on social media as straightforward fact, all sources pointed back to a 14 March 2016   article   from the UK’s   Telegraph   in which Quigg had purportedly revealed his new pro-Clinton agenda. However, it didn’t take much of a skeptical eye to conclude that Quigg was likely pulling the news outlet’s leg:

He was unwilling to disclose how he learned of Mrs Clinton’s “hidden agenda”.

“I cannot reveal my sources,” he said. “It’s my opinion — if you know what I mean, wink, wink. I don’t want her to come back and say I’m slandering her.”

Mr Quigg warmly endorsed the Republican candidate’s plan to ban Muslims from the US and to expel 11 million illegal immigrants …   Asked why he was not therefore supporting Mr Trump, Mr Quigg replied: “We don’t like his hair. We think it’s a toupee.   He won’t do what he says he will do. He says he’s going to build a 20-foot high fence along with border with Mexico and make them pay. How’s he going to do that?”
More Bullshit!
CLAIM:     Barack Obama has been endorsed for President of the U.S. by the Ku Klux Klan.

EXAMPLE:       [Collected via e-mail, February 2008]

A British paper reported this story today, and I wasn’t sure if it was a joke or true.

KENTUCKY – USA – Imperial Wizard, Ronald Edwards has stated that, “anything is better than Hillary Clinton.”

White Christian Supremacist group the Klu Klux Klan has endorsed Barack Obama to be the next President of the United States of America.

Speaking from his Kentucky office in Dawson Springs, the Imperial Wizard exclaimed that anything or anyone is better than having that “crazy ass bitch” as President.

This is the first time in Klan history that any member of the KKK has ever publicly supported an African American candidate for the presidency.

KKK lodges all over America have been gathering and holding rallies

supporting the black presidential candidate.

KKK members in Tennessee rally against Hillary Clinton and support Barack Obama

Grand Turk Cletus Monroe has also been very vocal about the election and has donated thousands of dollars to Obama’s election fund.

“The boy’s gonna do it. My Klan group has donated up to $250,000 to the Obama fund. Anything is better than Hillary Clinton. Hell I’ll even adopt a black kid from Africa before I vote for Hillary.”

“A few years back we were lynching negroes. Now we’re gonna vote for one to be president of the US of motherfu**ing A, damn it! Anyone or anything is better than Hillary Clinton – anything!!”

Placards for Barack Obama have been put up around the Klan’s Headquarters and the KKK hve announced a television ad campaign to support the African American candidate…

ORIGINS:     Effective satire hews closely to what people are inclined to believe, and since a significant portion of the   U.S. electorate   already harbors enmity towards New York senator Hillary Clinton and/or regards Illinois senator Barack Obama as having a deliberately obscured and potentially dangerous background, it’s not surprising a spoof article claiming that the Ku Klux Klan has endorsed the latter for President (since “anything is better than Hillary Clinton”) would gain currency.

However, the “British newspaper” that originated the above-quoted article is the   Daily Squib , which describes itself as “a satirical publication [that] should therefore not be taken too fu**ing seriously.”