╌>

Chelsea Clinton: ‘Roe’ Helped Add ‘Three and a Half Trillion Dollars to Our Economy’

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  96ws6  •  6 years ago  •  426 comments

Chelsea Clinton: ‘Roe’ Helped Add ‘Three and a Half Trillion Dollars to Our Economy’

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

Abortion has been an important economic stimulus ever since it was legalized by the 1973 Roe v. Wade Supreme Court decision, Chelsea Clinton claimed at a "Rise Up for Roe" event on Saturday.

At the event promoting opposition to President Donald Trump's Supreme Court nominee Brett Kavanaugh, the former First Daughter of President Bill Clinton credited legalized abortion for helping add trillions of dollars to the U.S economy because women who had abortions were more inclined to enter the labor force:

"Whether you fundamentally care about reproductive rights and access right, because these are not the same thing, if you care about social justice or economic justice, agency – you have to care about this.

"It is not a disconnected fact – to address this t-shirt of 1973 – that American women entering the labor force from 1973 to 2009 added three and a half trillion dollars to our economy. Right?

"The net, new entrance of women – that is not disconnected from the fact that Roe became the law of the land in January of 1973."

Thus, no matter what other things Americans may care about, everyone should appreciate the economic value of legalized abortion, Clinton said:

"So, I think, whatever it is that people say they care about, I think that you can connect to this issue.
"Of course, I would hope that they would care about our equal rights and dignity to make our own choices – but, if that is not sufficiently persuasive, hopefully, come some of these other arguments that you’ve expressed so beautifully, will be."

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

96WS6
Junior Quiet
1  seeder  96WS6    6 years ago

So abortion is really just about economic stimulus?

It Is ME
Masters Guide
1.1  It Is ME  replied to  96WS6 @1    6 years ago

Kinda like Food Stamps. Eye Roll

"The net, new entrance of women – that is not disconnected from the fact that Roe became the law of the land in January of 1973."

Thank goodness for Abortions, or "Women" would have never been able to become a force in business. Face Palm

How do women with kids do it ?

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
1.1.1  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  It Is ME @1.1    6 years ago

Just proves that gal is as brainless as her mother!laughing dude

KDMichigan
Junior Participates
1.2  KDMichigan  replied to  96WS6 @1    6 years ago

Dude get rid of that picture of her.

I can't stand looking at that ugly horse faced ignorant bitch.

MrFrost
Professor Guide
1.2.2  MrFrost  replied to    6 years ago

I look a lot like Tom Cruise, guess that means he is my dad. 

Tessylo
Professor Principal
1.2.3  Tessylo  replied to  KDMichigan @1.2    6 years ago

Looks like the absolutely worst photo of Chelsea plus photoshopping 

sixpick
Professor Quiet
1.2.5  sixpick  replied to  KDMichigan @1.2    6 years ago

What about this one?

chelseaclintonpaternitywebsterhubbell1.jpg

KDMichigan
Junior Participates
1.2.6  KDMichigan  replied to  sixpick @1.2.5    6 years ago

That is a lot of plastic surgery to make her look that presentable.

Gordy327
Professor Guide
1.3  Gordy327  replied to  96WS6 @1    6 years ago

No, it's about individual choice and rights. but economics is one factor to consider in that choice.

Cerenkov
Professor Silent
1.4  Cerenkov  replied to  96WS6 @1    6 years ago

Is she an idiot or a monster? Maybe both? 

Tessylo
Professor Principal
1.4.1  Tessylo  replied to  Cerenkov @1.4    6 years ago
'Is she an idiot or a monster? Maybe both?'

She is neither since the word abortion was never used in her talk.

It was contraceptives and the use of them which led to less abortions and keeping women in the work force.  

Shouldn't this sham of an article be taken down since the whole premise and first sentence in the arictle are lies?  The first sentence being:  'Abortion has been an important economic stimulus ever since it was legalized by the 1973 Roe v. Wade Supreme Court decision, Chelsea Clinton claimed at a "Rise Up for Roe" event on Saturday.'

Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו
Junior Participates
1.5  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו  replied to  96WS6 @1    6 years ago

I missed this very first comment of yours where you say  again what you now claim you never said.

Junior Participates
1.5.1  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו  replied to  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו @1.5    6 years ago

Which makes the 3rd time you said something that you deny saying. 

Tessylo
Professor Principal
2  Tessylo    6 years ago

No, it is not.  

It's about women being able to enter the work force which boosted the economy.

Abortion is not about money.  Women pay for their abortions, not the taxpayers, not you, not me,  no one.  

96WS6
Junior Quiet
2.2  seeder  96WS6  replied to  Tessylo @2    6 years ago

Exactly what part of this sentence does not coincide with economic stimulus?

Abortion is not about money.  Women pay for their abortions, not the taxpayers, not you, not me,  no one.  

If that were true, you wouldn't cry every time the Republicans tried to restrict funds for it. ( Deleted)  

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.2.1  Texan1211  replied to  96WS6 @2.2    6 years ago

If many Democrats had their way, abortions would be free (paid for by tax PAYERS) to all, no matter at what age, with or without parental permission, and at any time during pregnancy.

devangelical
Professor Principal
2.2.2  devangelical  replied to  Texan1211 @2.2.1    6 years ago

Bullshit. If democrats had their way, abortion would be a private individual choice between a woman and her doctor without interference from religious busy bodies.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.2.3  Texan1211  replied to  devangelical @2.2.2    6 years ago

Right.

You keep on believing that nonsense.

They have snowed you!

Tessylo
Professor Principal
2.2.4  Tessylo  replied to  96WS6 @2.2    6 years ago
'If that were true, you wouldn't cry every time the Republicans tried to restrict funds for it'

It is true and why do republicans try to restrict funds for it when abortion is only 3% of what PP does?

You'd think they would want to give out free contraceptives which would reduce the need for abortions rather than trying to keep women from getting contraceptives in the first place.  

crazy

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.2.5  Texan1211  replied to  96WS6 @2.2    6 years ago

Some Democrats will only be happy when there is a PP on every corner, and taxpayer-funded abortions on demand.

epistte
Junior Guide
2.2.6  epistte  replied to  Texan1211 @2.2.1    6 years ago
If many Democrats had their way, abortions would be free (paid for by tax PAYERS) to all,

Abortion saves money, over the cost of prenatal care and a hospital birth, so paid abortions is fiscally pragmatic.

no matter at what age, with or without parental permission,

Why should any woman who wants an abortion not have it paid for by either single-payer or her medical insurance coverage? Can I make your medical decisions or is that only the inherent right of a man? It is her body and it isb only her choice, even if she is 14.

and at any time during pregnancy.

You still have not learned what the age of viability is because that is the current limit for abortions, except in rare medical cases where the life of the mother is at risk or when the fetus is non-viable.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.2.7  Texan1211  replied to  epistte @2.2.6    6 years ago

As I have stated MANY times, I don't care what you do with your body as long as YOU pay for it, just like I pay for stuff for MY body. I believe in personal responsibility, and if you are old enough to have sex, old enough to get an abortion, then you are old enough to pay for it yourself like a grown-ass adult.

Government shouldn't be paying for abortions, period.

And please, spare me the lecture on the Hyde Amendment. I know all about it already.

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
2.2.8  Jasper2529  replied to  Tessylo @2.2.4    6 years ago
You'd think they [Republicans] would want to give out free contraceptives which would reduce the need for abortions rather than trying to keep women from getting contraceptives in the first place. 

Why should anyone of any political party want give out free contraceptives? Women and men have always been able to easily buy contraceptives with or without scripts. 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.2.9  Texan1211  replied to  Jasper2529 @2.2.8    6 years ago

Some want free shit so that OTHERS have to pay for THEIR decisions.

Much like children just WANT stuff, without considering who has to pay!

epistte
Junior Guide
2.2.10  epistte  replied to  Texan1211 @2.2.7    6 years ago
As I have stated MANY times, I don't care what you do with your body as long as YOU pay for it, just like I pay for stuff for MY body. I believe in personal responsibility, and if you are old enough to have sex, old enough to get an abortion, then you are old enough to pay for it yourself like a grown-ass adult.

When do you and other conservatives plan to understand that we are very interconnected society and a social and economic system?   This is the core concept of economics that studies how money works in a closed system. What one person does has immediate effects on others and these effects must be understood and taken into account when planning and implementing public policy. We have those public programs of guaranteed healthcare, public schooling, housing and food support because they are needed for a stable interconnected society because even in good economic times that are going to be some people who will be poor and not able to adequately provide for themselves, especially in a capitalist economy. 

We would not need a constitution if we a were not a society because that Constitution defines how we are governed, what rights we enjoy and how we act in that society? How can you possibly be an adult and not understand and this very basic concept of life in a society?   This is a grade school level concept!

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.2.11  Texan1211  replied to  epistte @2.2.10    6 years ago

I don;t speak for others, I speak for myself.

Self responsibility seems to be the bane of the left.

Like I said, have ALL the abortions you want and can pay for.

They are legal, and no one is stopping you from getting one or 100.

Personally, I wish everyone who can't afford kids and can't afford to take of themselves would have one every time they become pregnant.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.2.12  Texan1211  replied to  epistte @2.2.6    6 years ago

"Abortion saves money".

So does sterilization, but I bet you don't advocate for that!

Lots of things would save money, but we don't do things solely to save money.

devangelical
Professor Principal
2.2.13  devangelical  replied to  Texan1211 @2.2.9    6 years ago
Some want free shit so that OTHERS have to pay for THEIR decisions.

Like corporate welfare, tax cuts for the rich, and picking up the slack from tax exempt religious organizations?

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.2.14  Texan1211  replied to  devangelical @2.2.13    6 years ago

If that is what you think I wrote or meant...…………………………..

SMMFH

Junior Participates
2.2.15  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו  replied to  Texan1211 @2.2.14    6 years ago
SMMFH

You use that abbreviation so much I'm surprised your MFH's still attached to your neck.  At the very least you must be in a constant state of vertigo. 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.2.16  Texan1211  replied to  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו @2.2.15    6 years ago

Feel completely free to comment on my post or to ignore it if what I write bothers you!

Skrekk
Sophomore Participates
2.2.17  Skrekk  replied to  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו @2.2.15    6 years ago
You use that abbreviation so much I'm surprised your MFH's still attached to your neck.

It does explain the brain damage.

Gordy327
Professor Guide
2.2.18  Gordy327  replied to  96WS6 @2.2    6 years ago
If that were true, you wouldn't cry every time the Republicans tried to restrict funds for it

Restricting funds limits the availability of providers or services. Providers who receive federal funds usually offer other services besides abortions.

Gordy327
Professor Guide
2.2.19  Gordy327  replied to  Texan1211 @2.2.3    6 years ago
You keep on believing that nonsense.

Like the nonsense you spewed in your post 2.2.1 or 2.2.5!

Gordy327
Professor Guide
2.2.20  Gordy327  replied to  Texan1211 @2.2.7    6 years ago
I don't care what you do with your body as long as YOU pay for it,

Elective abortions are paid for out of pocket.

And please, spare me the lecture on the Hyde Amendment. I know all about it already

Then why are you inferring the government pays for abortions?

So does sterilization, but I bet you don't advocate for that!

I do. I think elective sterilizations are a great idea.

Lots of things would save money, but we don't do things solely to save money.

Saving money is a good idea regardless.

epistte
Junior Guide
2.2.21  epistte  replied to  Texan1211 @2.2.12    6 years ago
So does sterilization, but I bet you don't advocate for that! Lots of things would save money, but we don't do things solely to save money.

Dio you want to drag up and endorse the atrocities of forced sterilization?  Maybe we should start with you since you think that it is an idea that should be revisited.

Absolutely voluntarily sterilization should be covered by medical insurance for people who do not want to have children, but it cannot be forced on people by the state via any means or the denial of public assistance. 

MrFrost
Professor Guide
2.2.23  MrFrost  replied to  Texan1211 @2.2.1    6 years ago
If many Democrats had their way, abortions would be free (paid for by tax PAYERS)

Another one that has never heard of the Hyde Agreement. 

MrFrost
Professor Guide
2.2.24  MrFrost  replied to    6 years ago
That's not happening, it's a well known lie.

Ever heard of Hobby Lobby? 

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
2.2.25  Sean Treacy  replied to  MrFrost @2.2.23    6 years ago
Another one that has never heard of the Hyde Agreement. 

He said "If many Democrats had their way, abortions would be free (paid for by tax PAYERS)"

Democrats are actively trying to overturn the Hyde Amendment. It was part of their platform in 2016. 

It's right there

MrFrost
Professor Guide
2.2.26  MrFrost  replied to  Sean Treacy @2.2.25    6 years ago
Democrats are actively trying to overturn the Hyde Amendment. It was part of their platform in 2016.

First I have heard of it, but if it's overturned? I am fine with it. I mean, we have to pay from trump's golf trips three times a week so why not? 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.2.27  Texan1211  replied to  MrFrost @2.2.23    6 years ago

I have heard of it, and know what it is.

You don't pay attention.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.2.28  Texan1211  replied to  Sean Treacy @2.2.25    6 years ago

Well, now you are simply being unreasonable to expect people to read posts and all of that.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.2.29  Texan1211  replied to  Gordy327 @2.2.20    6 years ago

I never said that govt. paid for abortions.

I am not sure where you got that idea from, but it certainly isn't from MY post.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.2.30  Texan1211  replied to  MrFrost @2.2.24    6 years ago

Do you mean the very same Hobby Lobby that had absolutely no problem with most birth control pills, condoms, sponges, and sterilization?

You funny!

Gordy327
Professor Guide
2.2.31  Gordy327  replied to  Sean Treacy @2.2.25    6 years ago

I have no problem with Hyde being overturned. It always seemed like a compromise to appease the pro-lifers anyway.

Gordy327
Professor Guide
2.2.32  Gordy327  replied to  Texan1211 @2.2.29    6 years ago

I said your statement infers the government pays for abortions. Not that you explicitly said the government pays for abortions.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.2.33  Texan1211  replied to  Gordy327 @2.2.32    6 years ago

"Have all the abortions you want and can pay for" led you to THAT conclusion?

Wow.…..lmfao

Gordy327
Professor Guide
2.2.34  Gordy327  replied to  Texan1211 @2.2.33    6 years ago

No, your statement "government shouldn't be paying for abortions, period" did. That statement infers the government pays for abortions. 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.2.35  Texan1211  replied to  Gordy327 @2.2.34    6 years ago

No, that is simply how you chose to read it.

Does this sentence infer the government is paying for boob jobs:

"The government shouldn't be paying for boob jobs."?

charger 383
Professor Silent
2.2.36  charger 383  replied to  Texan1211 @2.2.7    6 years ago
Government shouldn't be paying for abortions, period.

Why not?  I think it is a very good use of tax money

user image
Freshman Silent
2.2.37    replied to  charger 383 @2.2.36    6 years ago

deleted

charger 383
Professor Silent
2.2.38  charger 383  replied to  @2.2.37    6 years ago

TO:  Eagle Averro,    did you forget that you were ignoring me?

user image
Freshman Silent
2.2.39    replied to  charger 383 @2.2.38    6 years ago
did you forget that you were ignoring me?

E.A   Err  ....    Maybe being Megalomanias I have  given you a " free pass "  is that ok?

And you answer is?

2.2.37  Eagle Averro  replied to  charger 383 @2.2.36

charger 383
Professor Silent
2.2.40  charger 383  replied to  @2.2.39    6 years ago

I would say they lost money on that idea

user image
Freshman Silent
2.2.41    replied to  charger 383 @2.2.40    6 years ago
I would say they lost money on that idea

E.A and History, would say YOU are right, so what would it say with the Abortion of the " Best of Humanity " and then the effort to " build a Future on the left overs "?

Gordy327
Professor Guide
2.2.42  Gordy327  replied to  Texan1211 @2.2.35    6 years ago

I read it exactly as it sounded. Yes, it is an inference. You may not have meant it that way, but that's how it comes across. 

charger 383
Professor Silent
2.2.43  charger 383  replied to  @2.2.41    6 years ago

I'm not sure I understand the question; but, I don't think "the Best" are removed by abortion.  Some but not all reasons Are:

First, the abortion is because it is not wanted or unable to take care of.

2nd, if incest is involved odds are against being one of "the Best"

3 many abortions are because something is wrong or danger to mother

4 if the situation is not right, Resources, time and willingness by family, ect, ect, then good results are against the odds

user image
Freshman Silent
2.2.44    replied to  charger 383 @2.2.43    6 years ago
First, the abortion is because it is not wanted or unable to take care of. 2nd, if incest is involved odds are against being one of "the Best"

" E.A  OK then can I suggest a little study as to " Genetics " and how the Ovum is Matured, and how it then is sent down to the Uterus, what Chemical actions are activated in the Female Body at " Fertilization ", what those Action  mean for the Females metabolism, and when and how are they " completed " and what happens when something interferes?

Please note this is a SCIENCE discussion, On Abortion and COSTs  as Per SEED those that can not or are unwilling to participate do NOT have to!!

user image
Freshman Silent
2.2.45    replied to  charger 383 @2.2.43    6 years ago
2nd, if incest

E.A Please SITE Source LINK as to what %% Are due to Incest!!

user image
Freshman Silent
2.2.46    replied to  charger 383 @2.2.43    6 years ago
3 many abortions are because something is wrong or danger to mother

E.A  Link Please as to %% Due to Medical Condition or Danger to Mother!

charger 383
Professor Silent
2.2.47  charger 383  replied to  @2.2.44    6 years ago

here I am telling you, if something is not wanted it will not be taken good care off 

user image
Freshman Silent
2.2.48    replied to  charger 383 @2.2.47    6 years ago
here I am telling you, if something is not wanted it will not be taken good care off 

E.A  OK so NO answers to the Questions, just an emotionalism on " wanted " so then the NAZIS  done away with what was not " wanted " and that should make it ok? right?

charger 383
Professor Silent
2.2.49  charger 383  replied to  @2.2.45    6 years ago

It is common knowledge that incest happens and the offspring usually has problems 

charger 383
Professor Silent
2.2.50  charger 383  replied to  @2.2.48    6 years ago

that response was not about the Nazis 

user image
Freshman Silent
2.2.51    replied to  charger 383 @2.2.49    6 years ago
It is common knowledge that incest happens and the offspring usually has problems 

E.A   Ahh No Link  just " common knowledge "  What are the Numbers aborted due to Incest?

Will You accept 0.001% as an Excuse to eliminate 99% +

Why not just  stick to Facts?

charger 383
Professor Silent
2.2.52  charger 383  replied to  @2.2.46    6 years ago

it is common knowledge that it occurs, I'm not going to look up statistics to prove what is generally known.  I know of several cases involving people I know

charger 383
Professor Silent
2.2.53  charger 383  replied to  @2.2.51    6 years ago
What are the Numbers aborted due to Incest?

What numbers are born and screwed up?  pull that number and statistics out of your ass in 30 seconds like you expect me to 

charger 383
Professor Silent
2.2.54  charger 383  replied to  @2.2.51    6 years ago

Why can't you accept common knowledge?  I'll discuss things and ideas here but this is not writing a PHD thesis    

charger 383
Professor Silent
2.2.55  charger 383  replied to  charger 383 @2.2.43    6 years ago

Also need to consider the mother's physical and mental health and is she able and willing to eat right, exercise, give up harmful habits and avoid risky behavior?   Is she willing and able to do what it takes to deliver a healthy baby and raise the child?

charger 383
Professor Silent
2.2.56  charger 383  replied to  @2.2.44    6 years ago
 "  the Abortion of the " Best of Humanity" "

above is what I was trying to answer to you

user image
Freshman Silent
2.2.57    replied to  charger 383 @2.2.56    6 years ago
 "  the Abortion of the " Best of Humanity" "
above is what I was trying to answer to you

E.A Thank You, IF  you make the effort to look up Medical DATA as I suggested, you will have achieved that Goal by Now!

Skrekk
Sophomore Participates
2.2.58  Skrekk  replied to  Jasper2529 @2.2.8    6 years ago
Women and men have always been able to easily buy contraceptives with or without scripts.

That's a completely false and historically ignorant claim, particularly given the circumstances of Planned Parenthood's founding as a way to fight against the Comstock laws.

Heck, even cases like Griswold v CT and Eisenstadt v Baird were in my lifetime.    The reality is that for most of US history contraceptives have been difficult if not impossible to obtain, particularly for minors and the unwed (the two demographics which you'd think conservatives would least want pregnant).

charger 383
Professor Silent
2.2.59  charger 383  replied to  @2.2.57    6 years ago

I will look that up but not tonight 

user image
Freshman Silent
2.2.60    replied to  charger 383 @2.2.59    6 years ago
I will look that up but not tonight 

E.A Anytime you are able and willing and IF  you want to have a discussion with ME, on any points please let me know, thank YOU again!

charger 383
Professor Silent
2.2.61  charger 383  replied to  Jasper2529 @2.2.8    6 years ago
Women and men have always been able to easily buy contraceptives with or without scripts. 

I disagree, When I was teenager only place we could get condoms was a machine in the bathroom at the truckstop.  (interestingly that place was owned by the county Judge)  

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
2.2.62  XXJefferson51  replied to  epistte @2.2.6    6 years ago

And think of all those murdered babies that had they turned 18 or higher and gone to college and or joined the work force and how their productivity and tax paying would have increased federal revenues and that there would have been enough more workers paying taxes to support federal programs and sustain social security and Medicare to keep them strong and solvent forever.  

Gordy327
Professor Guide
2.2.63  Gordy327  replied to  XXJefferson51 @2.2.62    6 years ago

What murdered babies? The issue is abortion, not infanticide. If anyone is murdering babies, you should contact the authorities immediately . 

Tessylo
Professor Principal
2.2.64  Tessylo  replied to    6 years ago
'That's not happening, it's a well known lie.'

It is happening.  It's a well known truth.  

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.2.65  Texan1211  replied to  epistte @2.2.21    6 years ago

I merely mentioned it. I didn't advocate for it.

You completely missed the point.

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
2.2.66  XXJefferson51  replied to  Gordy327 @2.2.63    6 years ago

All abortions are murder.  Life of the mother is self defense and acceptable.  Rape and incest abortions  can be considered justifiable homicide and I neither oppose nor support those.  The rest are murder of convenience for hire.  

Gordy327
Professor Guide
2.2.67  Gordy327  replied to  XXJefferson51 @2.2.66    6 years ago

Your statement is factually and legally incorrect. But hey, if you think it's murder, then try calling the police on women at an abortion provider or make a citizens arrest. Let us know how that works out for you.

charger 383
Professor Silent
2.2.68  charger 383  replied to  XXJefferson51 @2.2.66    6 years ago

does not matter what you want to call it because it is none of your business 

charger 383
Professor Silent
2.2.69  charger 383  replied to  @2.2.60    6 years ago

Eagle Averro, if you have a link to article you would like me to read, can you post it?  (not being pushy, not finding much helpful in everything a search brings up) 

user image
Freshman Silent
2.2.70    replied to  charger 383 @2.2.69    6 years ago
Eagle Averro, if you have a link to article

E.A  Yes I will post TWO ( 2 ) to get you started but there are a plethora because of the Complexity of the " Human Mechanism " and the Chemical changes that are " Started "

at Pregnancy, that need to be " stopped " at the end of it::

Here is a Mechanical electric example to assist::

Say in  your Car you have a Mechanical Cam that Starts a electronic action the cam for what ever reason is immobilized, so what does now occur on the  electronic activity?

Start::

lipoprotein and cholesterol metabolism in the rat

1. Jeffery L. Smith1,*,
  2. Steven R. Lear*,
  3. Trudy M. Forte,
  4. William Ko2,*,
  5. Mara Massimi3,* and
  6. Sandra K. Erickson4,*
  1. *Department of Medicine, University of California, San Francisco, and Department of Veterans Affairs Medical Center, San Francisco, CA 94121
  2. Life Sciences Division, Lawrence Berkeley Laboratory, University of California, Berkeley, CA 94720
  1. 4 To whom correspondence should be addressed.

Abstract

Origins of hyperlipidemia and cholestasis that occur during pregnancy were investigated by examining expression of key elements related to plasma and hepatic cholesterol metabolism during pregnancy, lactation, and post-lactation in the rat model. Among major findings were: during pregnancy, the activities of hepatic 3-hydroxy-3-methylglutaryl coenzyme A reductase, acyl coenzyme A:cholesterol acyltransferase, acyl coenzyme A:diacylglycerol acyltransferase, cholesterol 7α-hydroxylase, cholesterol ester hydrolases, low density lipoprotein receptors, LRP, and mdr2 were significantly lower or similar to non-pregnant controls while SR-B1 was elevated. Once lactation began, reductase, cholesterol acyltransferase, 7α-hydroxylase activities, low density lipoprotein receptors, and mdr2 increased while SR-B1 decreased. In later stages of lactation most hepatic elements returned to near control levels. Plasma cholesterol levels were higher than control at birth and during lactation with increase in LDL-size particles. By 24 h post-lactation, plasma triglycerides were 3.7-fold higher while cholesterol remained unchanged. Very large lipoproteins were present while LDL-size particles were now absent. Hepatic cholesterol acyltransferase had decreased to 27% of control while diacylglycerol acyltransferase increased 3-fold and low density lipoprotein receptors doubled. Most elements were normalized 3 weeks after weaning except for LRP and low density lipoprotein receptors which were elevated. These studies provide an integrated picture of expression of key elements of hepatic and plasma cholesterol metabolism during pregnancy and lactation and advance understanding of hyperlipidemia and cholestasis during these states.

—Smith, J. L., S. R. Lear, T. M. Forte, W. Ko, M. Massimi, and S. K. Erickson. Effect of pregnancy and lactation on lipop

Continued:

Alcohol Use in Pregnancy

There is no known safe amount of alcohol use during pregnancy or while trying to get pregnant. There is also no safe time during pregnancy to drink. All types of alcohol are equally harmful, including all wines and beer. When a pregnant woman drinks alcohol, so does her baby.

Women also should not drink alcohol if they are sexually active and do not use effective contraception (birth control). This is because a woman might get pregnant and expose her baby to alcohol before she knows she is pregnant. Nearly half of all pregnancies in the United States are unplanned. Most women will not know they are pregnant for up to 4 to 6 weeks.

FASDs are completely preventable if a woman does not drink alcohol during pregnancy. Why take the risk?

Why Alcohol is Dangerous

Alcohol in the mother’s blood passes to the baby through the umbilical cord. Drinking alcohol during pregnancy can cause miscarriage, stillbirth, and a range of lifelong physical, behavioral, and intellectual disabilities. These disabilities are known as fetal alcohol spectrum disorders (FASDs). Children with FASDs might have the following characteristics and behaviors:

• Abnormal facial features, such as a smooth ridge between the nose and upper lip (this ridge is called the philtrum)
  • Small head size
  • Shorter-than-average height
  • Low body weight
  • Poor coordination
  • Hyperactive behavior
  • Difficulty with attention
  • Poor memory
  • Difficulty in school (especially with math)
  • Learning disabilities
  • Speech and language delays
  • Intellectual disability or low IQ
  • Poor reasoning and judgment skills
  • Sleep and sucking problems as a baby
  • Vision or hearing problems
  • Problems with the heart, kidney, or bones

user image
Freshman Silent
2.2.71    replied to  @2.2.70    6 years ago
Problems with the heart, kidney, or bones

E.A Sorry for the Multiple post of the Second reference, editor issues asked for a fix!!

user image
Freshman Silent
2.2.72    replied to  @2.2.71    6 years ago
E.A Sorry for the Multiple post of the Second reference, editor issues asked for a fix!!

E.A  The second reference was from ::

https://www.cdc.gov/ncbddd/fasd/alcohol-use.html

Junior Participates
2.2.73  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו  replied to  Texan1211 @2.2.7    6 years ago
As I have stated MANY times, I don't care what you do with your body as long as YOU pay for it, just like I pay for stuff for MY body.

Of course, you don't hold yourself to that standard (and never to any standard).  Someone else is helping to pay for your medical care every time you get it.  

charger 383
Professor Silent
2.2.74  charger 383  replied to  @2.2.70    6 years ago

Thanks I will take a look

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.2.75  Texan1211  replied to  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו @2.2.73    6 years ago

Nope, I pay my own fucking bills. I always have, since I was 17.

I wish everyone would.

You sure like to claim you know stuff about me when you don't know me at all.

Guess WTF I'm thinking now of your posts?

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.2.76  Texan1211  replied to  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו @2.2.73    6 years ago

Now, if you wish to pay some of my medical bills, just tell me where to send the bill to you at and then I can make at least one of your statements come true.

Don't welsh out now!

user image
Freshman Silent
2.2.77    replied to  charger 383 @2.2.74    6 years ago
Thanks I will take a look

E.A  You are Welcome::

If you have any question feel free to ask!

And we see if we are " allowed " to talk Facts here :-)

charger 383
Professor Silent
2.2.78  charger 383  replied to  @2.2.71    6 years ago

Thank you for providing that, I have read it and some other things

user image
Freshman Silent
2.2.79    replied to  charger 383 @2.2.78    6 years ago
I have read it and some other things

E.A do " Other things " merit s discussion? and here is the question, what is the TOTAL Cost for the Community and Nation?

charger 383
Professor Silent
2.3  charger 383  replied to  Tessylo @2    6 years ago

and not having to leave work force due to unwanted pregnancy and the drag unwanted children put on the economy

Tessylo
Professor Principal
2.3.1  Tessylo  replied to  charger 383 @2.3    6 years ago
'and not having to leave work force due to unwanted pregnancy and the drag unwanted children put on the economy'

Exactly!  That also.  

user image
Freshman Silent
2.3.2    replied to  charger 383 @2.3    6 years ago
the drag unwanted children put on the economy

E.A  What are the Known Phycological and Health problems that arise from that action?

charger 383
Professor Silent
2.3.3  charger 383  replied to  @2.3.2    6 years ago

you said you were ignoring me.  Since then I have not commented on anything you have said

lennylynx
Sophomore Quiet
2.3.4  lennylynx  replied to  @2.3.2    6 years ago

Waddya think Charger is, a Phycologist??

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
2.3.5  sandy-2021492  replied to  @2.3.2    6 years ago

I wasn't aware there were any risks to algae from abortion at all.

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
2.3.6  XXJefferson51  replied to  charger 383 @2.3    6 years ago

The benefits to society of the person becoming educated and productive and making things and paying taxes more than off sets any cost of raising a child.  How many here were in a bad home and had a less than perfect or troubled childhood and yet now as a productive adult deep down wish their mother had aborted them as the Career, other activities, education, friends, spouse, children we all have now weren’t worth it and don’t offset what happened the first 18 years of life?  

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
2.4  Jack_TX  replied to  Tessylo @2    6 years ago

Which was due to the introduction of oral contraceptives in the 1960s, not legalized abortions in the 1970s.

Skrekk
Sophomore Participates
2.4.1  Skrekk  replied to  Jack_TX @2.4    6 years ago
Which was due to the introduction of oral contraceptives in the 1960s, not legalized abortions in the 1970s.

Seems like both contraception and abortion help prevent unwanted children and thus help women stay in the workforce and stay out of poverty.    I call that a win-win.

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
2.4.2  Jack_TX  replied to  Skrekk @2.4.1    6 years ago
Seems like both contraception and abortion help prevent unwanted children and thus help women stay in the workforce and stay out of poverty.

The fact is that Ms. Clinton is attributing her figures to the wrong social phenomenon.

Whatever the debate about abortion, it is NOT responsible for $3 trillion worth of economic growth.  It would seem that any valid view should be able to stand upon its actual merits without erroneous embellishment.   Unless of course the idea is to be as much like Donald Trump as possible....

Junior Participates
2.4.3  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו  replied to  Skrekk @2.4.1    6 years ago
I call that a win-win.

But they call it "women having too much freedom."

Skrekk
Sophomore Participates
2.4.4  Skrekk  replied to  Jack_TX @2.4.2    6 years ago
The fact is that Ms. Clinton is attributing her figures to the wrong social phenomenon. Whatever the debate about abortion, it is NOT responsible for $3 trillion worth of economic growth.

I won't debate the absolute economic value since I'm not an economist and I really don't give a crap about the total contribution, but it seems pretty clear that the very recent ability of women to choose when to have children has a great deal of economic value - both for those women on a personal level and for the entire society.    So I think Clinton's statement is generally correct.

It's also a very very good thing that conservatives lost on all of these issues - women in the work force, contraceptive rights and abortion rights.......and also lost on all the corollary issues like marital rape, coverture laws, etc.   In each and every case conservatives stood on the wrong side of those civil rights issues.

Junior Participates
2.4.5  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו  replied to  Jack_TX @2.4.2    6 years ago
Whatever the debate about abortion, it is NOT responsible for $3 trillion worth of economic growth.

Based on no evidence whatsoever, of course. 

96WS6
Junior Quiet
2.4.6  seeder  96WS6  replied to  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו @2.4.5    6 years ago

It works for both doesn't it?

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
2.4.8  Sean Treacy  replied to    6 years ago

The KKK, the eugenics movement, etc.etc, were all progressive movements, while conservative Christians led the abolitionist movement.  They don't like to talk about that. 

Progressives, probably indulging their Stalinist roots, often rewrite history. 

Skrekk
Sophomore Participates
2.4.9  Skrekk  replied to  Sean Treacy @2.4.8    6 years ago
The KKK, the eugenics movement, etc.etc, were all progressive movements, while conservative Christians led the abolitionist movement. 

Actually the Southern Baptist sect was founded to promote slavery and white supremacy, and it's the sect which had the longest ties to the KKK.

And while there's no doubt that eugenics was part of the Progressive era, the first eugenics theorist was Mormon apostle George Q Cannon.    Up until rather recently the LDS sect and the SBC sect were pretty much tied for the "most racist Christian sect" award.    Both sects are still far right wing.

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
2.4.10  XXJefferson51  replied to  Sean Treacy @2.4.8    6 years ago

Hitler got his eugenics ideas from earlier UK and American progressives.  He says so himself.  

Junior Participates
2.4.11  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו  replied to  96WS6 @2.4.6    6 years ago
It works for both doesn't it?

Nope.

Junior Participates
2.4.12  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו  replied to  XXJefferson51 @2.4.10    6 years ago
He says so himself.

You read a lot of Hitler, do you?

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
2.4.13  Jack_TX  replied to  Skrekk @2.4.4    6 years ago
I won't debate the absolute economic value since I'm not an economist and I really don't give a crap about the total contribution,

Fair enough.

but it seems pretty clear that the very recent ability of women to choose when to have children has a great deal of economic value - both for those women on a personal level and for the entire society. 

Agree completely.

So I think Clinton's statement is generally correct.

Not close.  It's a ridiculous claim made in an attempt to support a controversial cause.  If the cause is valid, she shouldn't need to fabricate facts to support it.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
2.4.14  Trout Giggles  replied to  XXJefferson51 @2.4.10    6 years ago

Hitler was a known liar

Texan1211
Professor Principal
3  Texan1211    6 years ago

Spmeone from the same party as the leader who claimed unemployment benefits were creating jobs faster than practically any other program.

SMMFH

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
4  Sean Treacy    6 years ago

Roe's working as designed! More Money and, as Ruth Bader Ginsburg said, it controls population in groups we don't want to have too much of.

Win Win for abortion supporters, and  it's no use crying  over spilled human brains. 

Colour Me Free
Senior Quiet
5  Colour Me Free    6 years ago
 because women who had abortions were more inclined to enter the labor force:

I would like to see the stats available on this claim, yet it is astonishing, I am unable to find any (could be asking the wrong question) .... if anyone knows where I can find this information I would appreciate a link …. thanks

I did find this old study - I do not think I buy into the results, but they are interesting..

Abortion tied to sharp decline in women's mental health

For the study, researchers analyzed data on 877,000 women, including 164,000 who had an abortion. They found women who had an abortion experienced an 81 percent increased risk for mental problems.

Women who had an abortion were 34 percent more likely to develop an anxiety disorder, 37 percent more likely to experience depression, 110 percent more likely to abuse alcohol, 155 percent more likely to commit suicide, and 220 percent more likely to use marijuana.

Nearly 10 percent of the problems could be attributed to abortion, the authors concluded.

"There are in fact some real risks associated with abortion that should be shared with women as they are counseled prior to an abortion," Dr. Priscilla Coleman, professor of human development and family studies at Bowling Green State University, told the Daily Telegraph.

About 827,000 women have an abortion in the U.S. each year.

Previous research hasn't found a definitive link between an abortion and a woman's mental health.

Old Hermit
Sophomore Silent
5.1  Old Hermit  replied to  Colour Me Free @5    6 years ago

By Ryan Jaslow CBS News September 1, 2011

Study Finds Abortion Doesn't Lead to Depression

WEDNESDAY, May 30, 2018 (HealthDay News) -- Abortion does not increase a woman's risk for depression, according to new research.

The study, of nearly 400,000 women in Denmark, challenges arguments that terminating a pregnancy takes a toll on a woman's emotional well-being.

" Policies based on the notion that abortion harms women's mental health are misinformed, " said study leader Dr. Julia Steinberg. She's an assistant professor of family science at the University of Maryland School of Public Health.

Having an abortion does not put women at increased risk of depression, study finds
By Susan Perry | 06/01/18

Women who have an abortion are not at an increased risk of depression, although women who are already depressed are more likely to have an abortion, according to a large study that appears online this week in JAMA Psychiatry, a journal published by the American Medical Association.
This study’s findings offer yet more evidence that abortion is not associated with an increased risk of mental illness — a claim that is often used in the United States to justify restrictive anti-abortion legislation, such as requiring a woman to wait 24 to 72 hours between meeting with an abortion care provider and receiving the abortion.

Abortion does not cause depression, new study finds
Groups that claim abortion leads to mental illness are misleading people, experts say
by Maggie Fox / May.30.2018

A new study debunks the claim that having an abortion can lead to depression.

Abortions don’t cause depression, although women who have depression and anxiety may be more likely to have abortions, researchers reported Wednesday.

The study is the latest to show no evidence that abortion causes depression. Policies that cite damage to mental health as a reason to restrict access to abortion are not based in fact, the researchers wrote in the Journal of the American Medical Association’s JAMA Psychiatry.

Colour Me Free
Senior Quiet
5.1.1  Colour Me Free  replied to  Old Hermit @5.1    6 years ago

Find any information on the claim made by Chelsea? 

because women who had abortions were more inclined to enter the labor force

If you notice I passed on old research that I thought was interesting .. did not agree with it - just passed it along - I really do not care if a woman becomes depressed after an abortion, I think it is a waste of time and money to study... once a woman decides to end a pregnancy. it is up to her to deal with what happens next.. if one listens to Chelsea Clinton the woman is more inclined to get a job after having an abortion .. can that be verified? 

Tessylo
Professor Principal
5.1.2  Tessylo  replied to  Colour Me Free @5.1.1    6 years ago
'I really do not care if a woman becomes depressed after an abortion, I think it is a waste of time and money to study... once a woman decides to end a pregnancy. it is up to her to deal with what happens next.'

How compassionate and empathetic of you.  

Tessylo
Professor Principal
5.1.3  Tessylo  replied to  Old Hermit @5.1    6 years ago

Thanks for the truth and facts as always AH.  

Texan1211
Professor Principal
5.1.4  Texan1211  replied to  Colour Me Free @5.1.1    6 years ago

No, see, they want help for the mental issues for women who have abortions, but don't want any input from anyone ON abortions.

Skrekk
Sophomore Participates
5.1.5  Skrekk  replied to  Colour Me Free @5.1.1    6 years ago
If you notice I passed on old research that I thought was interesting .. did not agree with it - just passed it along

That's usually what I try to do - seek out outdated and bogus info, post it, then take no responsibility for posting crap.

Colour Me Free
Senior Quiet
5.1.6  Colour Me Free  replied to  Texan1211 @5.1.4    6 years ago

You could be correct ..  abortion (even mental health) should be private issue between doctor and patient ……. I made an error in judgment by posting an old article on the subject (I just thought it was interesting) .. now the point I wanted verified is buried under the defense of whether abortion impacts mental health... and what a 'bad' person I am for not being concerned about what happens after an abortion is performed

I neither condemn nor condone - to each their own.  Leave my guns alone, I leave abortion alone .. seems simple enough to me.

Yet I do want to know how anyone can make a claim that a women, having had an abortion is more inclined to enter the work force … I say it is a BS claim...

96WS6
Junior Quiet
5.1.7  seeder  96WS6  replied to  Old Hermit @5.1    6 years ago

I am sure it is easy to find studies that argue both sides.  I think a lot of it has to do with if the mother has guilt about it or not and that is something neither study took into consideration.  I don't see how they could.  It is a question of individual morality.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
6  Tessylo    6 years ago

Funny how you left this part out CMF:

Previous research hasn't found a definitive link between an abortion and a woman's mental health.

In 2008, the American Psychiatric Association charged a task force to review scientific evidence on the link between abortion and mental health. They acknowledged women may experience sadness, grief, depression, and anxiety following an abortion, but could not find evidence abortions - and not other factors - caused these effects.

"The best scientific evidence published indicates that among adult women who have an unplanned pregnancy, the relative risk of mental health problems is no greater if they have a single elective first-trimester abortion or deliver that pregnancy," Dr. Brenda Major, chair of the task force, said in a 2008  written statement . "The evidence regarding the relative mental health risks associated with multiple abortions is more uncertain."

Colour Me Free
Senior Quiet
6.1  Colour Me Free  replied to  Tessylo @6    6 years ago

If you read what I copied from the article, you would have read:

Think that pretty well covers the 2008 study 

Tessylo
Professor Principal
6.1.1  Tessylo  replied to  Colour Me Free @6.1    6 years ago

I did and included that in my citation of your citation.  

Tessylo
Professor Principal
6.2  Tessylo  replied to  Tessylo @6    6 years ago

Maybe the mother to be in question did not have adequate resources to support herself much less an unplanned for child, maybe the father ditched her and his responsibilities to that child, maybe she was raped, maybe the child was a product of incest - many, many reasons to cause a woman sadness, grief, depression, and anxiety following an abortion - and I imagine before the abortion.  I don't think many if any make such a decision lightly.  

Also - according to AH's link above - possibly the woman had mental issues and could not handle having a child, much less an unplanned one.  

Junior Participates
7  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו    6 years ago

We need the full article or source for those cherry-picked quotes on which this article is completely based.  Even those quotes...disconnected from one another and very likely not in the order in which they were made--are suggestive at least that Ms. Clinton wasn't trying to limit her comment just to the issue of abortion but to reproductive autonomy and choice in general--namely contraception.  Until the full transcript of her remarks are made available by the seeder, this article is just another manufactured and deceptive rightwing hit job (and may well be confirmed as one if those remarks are made available). 

96WS6
Junior Quiet
7.1  seeder  96WS6  replied to  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו @7    6 years ago

This link has the whole video of the entire statement on it.  Enjoy.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
7.1.1  Tessylo  replied to  96WS6 @7.1    6 years ago

That was only one minute and 15 seconds out of that entire exchange.  I say cherry picking until I find the entirety of that meeting or lecture or what have you.  

96WS6
Junior Quiet
7.1.2  seeder  96WS6  replied to  Tessylo @7.1.1    6 years ago

google it

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
8  Sean Treacy    6 years ago

Charles Cooke nails it here:

he problem with this argument, obviously, is that it is entirely unresponsive to the debate over abortion, which is not economic in nature, but moral. If unborn children are not living human beings — and if, therefore, it doesn’t matter if they are aborted — then obviously one will be in favor of abortion,   especially   if it leads to salutary economic news. If, by contrast, unborn children are living human beings — and if, therefore, aborting them is tantamount to murder — then the utilitarian argument is flatly irrelevant. Saying “but look at the effects of killing unborn children on GDP!” to a person who believes that   unborn children are living human beings   is futile. In no moral universe are they going to make that trade.

And nor, for that matter, would the person making the case. Presumably Chelsea Clinton believes it is wrong to murder human beings   ex utero . If so, she knows how she’d react to someone saying, “Whether you fundamentally care about murder or not, you should be able to connect with the fact that killing one in ten Los Angelenos will ease the traffic and reduce the Medicaid rolls.” And if Clinton   doesn’t   know that — if, in other words, she holds the hyper-utilitarian view that abortion is murder but it’s worth it for an additional three-and-a-half trillion dollars — well, then she’s a monster

MrFrost
Professor Guide
8.1  MrFrost  replied to  Sean Treacy @8    6 years ago

The national review is a far right wing opinion site... It's like using the bible to prove the existence of 'God', it's pointless. 

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
8.1.1  Sean Treacy  replied to  MrFrost @8.1    6 years ago

Quality rebuttal there.

Deleted

MrFrost
Professor Guide
8.1.2  MrFrost  replied to  Sean Treacy @8.1.1    6 years ago
Quality rebuttal there.

Thanks! 

96WS6
Junior Quiet
9  seeder  96WS6    6 years ago

How come the responsibility of the women not go get impregnated with an unwanted child in the first place is never part of the conversation?   Because that would insinuate some level of personal responsibility? 

MrFrost
Professor Guide
9.1  MrFrost  replied to  96WS6 @9    6 years ago

What gives you the personal right to tell someone else what they can do with their own bodies? You are not paying for someone else's abortions, so that argument is out the door, (and even if you were helping pay for abortions, trump spends 100 million taxpayer dollars a year on golf but I hear no complaining about that). 

So do tell, why do you think you should personally be able to tell a woman what choices she can make regarding her own health care?  

96WS6
Junior Quiet
9.1.1  seeder  96WS6  replied to  MrFrost @9.1    6 years ago

I am not telling anyone what to do with their own bodies.  I just think they should take responsibilities for their choices.  I know many of you on the left abhor that concept.

arkpdx
Professor Quiet
9.1.2  arkpdx  replied to  96WS6 @9.1.1    6 years ago

There word responsibility any and every iteration has been removed from the dictionaries of the left. They have no concept of what that means. 

Gordy327
Professor Guide
9.2  Gordy327  replied to  96WS6 @9    6 years ago

Electing to have an abortion is taking responsibility. Besides, most women cite contraceptive failure as the reason for having an abortion. So clearly they were being "responsible." But that's otherwise irrelevant to abortion itself. A woman is free to chose to have an abortion regardless of the reasons, which are hers alone.

96WS6
Junior Quiet
9.2.1  seeder  96WS6  replied to  Gordy327 @9.2    6 years ago

Real responsibility would be to take precautions to prevent the unwanted pregnancy in the first place, instead of using abortion as a contraceptive.  In the event of contraceptive failure that is a different story although I would like to know where you are getting "the majority of abortions are due to failed contraceptives".  It seems if that is the case all the contraceptive manufacturers are lying.

Gordy327
Professor Guide
9.2.2  Gordy327  replied to  96WS6 @9.2.1    6 years ago
Real responsibility would be to take precautions to prevent the unwanted pregnancy in the first place, instead of using abortion as a contraceptive. 

Most women cite contraceptive failure as the reason for seeking an abortion. So clearly they were being "responsible." And if abortion is used as a contraceptive, then what difference does it make what type of contraceptive they use, be it a pill, condom, or abortion? And who are you to determine what "real responsibility" is anyway?

In the event of contraceptive failure that is a different story

See previous statement. And why is it different? They still need/want an abortion in such instances.

although I would like to know where you are getting "the majority of abortions are due to failed contraceptives". 

Guttmacher Institute.

It seems if that is the case all the contraceptive manufacturers are lying.

Not at all. Contraceptives are not 100% effective and their manufacturers even make that disclaimer.

MrFrost
Professor Guide
9.3  MrFrost  replied to  96WS6 @9    6 years ago

Are you going to answer my question or not? 

Freefaller
Professor Quiet
9.4  Freefaller  replied to  96WS6 @9    6 years ago

Lol how come the responsibility of men not go get women impregnated with an unwanted child in the first place is never part of the conversation?

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
9.4.1  sandy-2021492  replied to  Freefaller @9.4    6 years ago

Thank you.

Freefaller
Professor Quiet
9.4.2  Freefaller  replied to  sandy-2021492 @9.4.1    6 years ago

You're very welcome. I find the double standard displayed by some to be too much sometimes

96WS6
Junior Quiet
9.4.3  seeder  96WS6  replied to  Freefaller @9.4    6 years ago

Touche! Good point!  Although the man doesn't have any say over abortion, he certainly shares in the responsibility.  

Freefaller
Professor Quiet
9.4.4  Freefaller  replied to  96WS6 @9.4.3    6 years ago
Although the man doesn't have any say over abortion,

Nope he doesn't

he certainly shares in the responsibility.  

Yes he does

MrFrost
Professor Guide
10  MrFrost    6 years ago

Why does the right insist they are for a smaller, less intrusive government and are all for more personal freedoms, then turn around and scream that they want the government to manage women's vagina's? 

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
10.1  Sean Treacy  replied to  MrFrost @10    6 years ago

Why does the left claim they are for human and rights and then turn around and scream they want tax payer dollars to murder humans? 

MrFrost
Professor Guide
10.1.1  MrFrost  replied to  Sean Treacy @10.1    6 years ago

1) They aren't wanting to murder humans. Nice try.

2) Epic fail. You couldn't answer my question.

Thanks for playing Sean. 

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
10.1.2  Sean Treacy  replied to  MrFrost @10.1.1    6 years ago

They aren't wanting to murder humans.

Of course they are. Do you really not get that's why people oppose abortion? 

You couldn't answer my question.

Of course I can. It's because they oppose the killing of innocent humans. How do you not get this yet? You really should try to read and UNDERSTAND this:

e problem with this argument, obviously, is that it is entirely unresponsive to the debate over abortion, which is not economic in nature, but moral. If unborn children are not living human beings — and if, therefore, it doesn’t matter if they are aborted — then obviously one will be in favor of abortion, especially if it leads to salutary economic news. If, by contrast, unborn children are living human beings — and if, therefore, aborting them is tantamount to murder — then the utilitarian argument is flatly irrelevant. Saying “but look at the effects of killing unborn children on GDP!” to a person who believes that unborn children are living human beings is futile. In no moral universe are they going to make that trade.

And nor, for that matter, would the person making the case. Presumably Chelsea Clinton believes it is wrong to murder human beings ex utero. If so, she knows how she’d react to someone saying, “Whether you fundamentally care about murder or not, you should be able to connect with the fact that killing one in ten Los Angelenos will ease the traffic and reduce the Medicaid rolls.” And if Clinton doesn’t know that — if, in other words, she holds the hyper-utilitarian view that abortion is murder but it’s worth it for an additional three-and-a-half trillion dollars — well, then she’s a monster.

If you understand the author's point (regardless of whether you agree) you'd realize how stupid and juvenile your little argument is. 

Gordy327
Professor Guide
10.1.4  Gordy327  replied to  Sean Treacy @10.1.2    6 years ago

Abortion isn't murder and no humans are murdered in an abortion. Morality is irrelevant to the legality and right to abortion. It is also subjective. You can be opposed to abortion on "moral" grounds, but you have no right to impose that morality onto others or have it legislated. It is also no one else's business whom has an abortion or why. 

MrFrost
Professor Guide
10.1.5  MrFrost  replied to  Sean Treacy @10.1.2    6 years ago
but moral.

You cannot legislate morals. Want to try again? 

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
10.1.6  Sean Treacy  replied to  Gordy327 @10.1.4    6 years ago
bortion isn't murder and no humans are murdered in an abortion.

That's your opinion. That's all. Others believe differently. Open your mind.

orality is irrelevant to the legality

So you believe morals have nothing to do with the law. If a majority pass a law saying it's okay to steal from charities, you'd have no basis to object. Because it's the law. 

n on "moral" grounds, but you have no right to impose that morality onto others or have it legislated

Laws are the impositions of morals. Slavery is now illegal because abolitionists imposed their morality. Pretending they aren't intertwined is bizarre. 

It is also no one else's business whom has an abortion or why.

Except for the human being killed.  Some of us believe the government has an interest  protecting innocent life.  

Gordy327
Professor Guide
10.1.7  Gordy327  replied to  Sean Treacy @10.1.6    6 years ago

Not opinion, but just simple fact,  unlike yours. And morality is subjective and cannot be legislated.  Also a fact. Slavers illegal because of the civil War and the 13th Amendment. So your straw man argument fails spectacularly. 

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
10.1.8  Sean Treacy  replied to  Gordy327 @10.1.7    6 years ago

and the 13th Amendment.

Are you seriously denying opposition to slavery was moral? do you think the 13th Amendment just spontaneously appeared as if by magic? I can't believe anyone is that unfamilliar with the abolitionist movement.

But its' good to know that if all the conspiracy mongers are correct and we wake up tomorrow and find out that our government really is controlled by white supremacists who pass a new amendment legalizing slavery, you'll be right there to defend them.  What objection could you possibly have to slavery once it's legalized? Sure, maybe you might not want to own slaves yourself, but you'd have no right to impose your moral objections to legal slavery  on others.  After all it's legal and you apparently don't think for yourself but let others define right and wrong for you. 

Gordy327
Professor Guide
10.1.9  Gordy327  replied to  Sean Treacy @10.1.8    6 years ago

Your nonsensical rant aside, people could oppose slavery on moral grounds just as easily as some could use morality to support it. The same is true of any other issue. Hence, morality is subjective. Therefore, it cannot be legislated. Otherwise , whose "morality" do we go by? Fortunately, laws are based more on respect to individual rights and freedoms, along with the general good and welfare of society. Abortion is no exception.

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
10.1.10  Sean Treacy  replied to  Gordy327 @10.1.9    6 years ago

ople could oppose slavery on moral grounds just as easily as some could use morality to support it

Of course. But you said morals have no place in discussing the legality of a behavior. So if slavery was legal, you'd have no basis to object, because your objection would be moral, not legal. 

Hence, morality is subjective.Therefore, it cannot be legislated.

Of course it is, and of course it can be.  Laws are morality legislated.  This is basic stuff. Stealing is wrong morally so we have laws against stealing. Murder is wrong morally, so we have laws against murder.  Slavery is illegal. Abortion isn't. Those are moral choices made law. 

Otherwise , whose "morality" do we go by?

Those with the power to impose them either democratically or by force of arms. Slavery was legal until those who found it immoral had the power to end it. Is this really a surprise? 

Gordy327
Professor Guide
10.1.11  Gordy327  replied to  Sean Treacy @10.1.10    6 years ago

My moral views regarding slavery or any other issue  are irrelevant where the law is concerned. As I said, laws are based on individual rights or concerns  or for the welfare of society. They may coincide with certain morals, but that does not make them morally based.

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
10.1.12  Sean Treacy  replied to  Gordy327 @10.1.11    6 years ago
l views regarding slavery or any other issue  are irrelevant where the law is concerned.

Right. So if slavery was legal, you'd support it. Or pedophilia. You've surrendered your personal sense of right and wrong to what others dictate to you. I'm glad you admit it. 

aws are based on individual rights or concerns  or for the welfare of society.

Since the Constitution defines our rights, you can't object if the right to own slaves or any other noxious "right" is created by the Courts or through the Amendment process.  I can't imagine surrendering my opposition to slavery simply because the government told me the right to own slaves exists, but if it works for you, so be it. 

Although the last bit is funny. You claim morals have no place and then turn around and say laws can be made for the "welfare of society" which is so vague as to be meaningless. That's straight out of Dictatorship 101. Any and every law you possibly imagine can be justified under that rubric. Abortion should be legal for the welfare of society, Abortion  should be illegal for the welfare of society. Works either way. It's just a more dishonest way of imposing one's morals by hiding it behind "what's good for society, " rhetoric. 

Gordy327
Professor Guide
10.1.13  Gordy327  replied to  Sean Treacy @10.1.12    6 years ago
Right. So if slavery was legal, you'd support it. Or pedophilia. You've surrendered your personal sense of right and wrong to what others dictate to you. I'm glad you admit it. 

Clearly you didn't understand what I said. Perhaps you should reread it, more slowly this time.

Since the Constitution defines our rights, you can't object if the right to own slaves or any other noxious "right" is created by the Courts or through the Amendment process. 

Since the Amendment process already prohibited slavery, your argument is moot. Although, it's rather odd that you complain about rights being created by the courts (not that is what the courts are doing), as if rights are a bad thing.

I can't imagine surrendering my opposition to slavery simply because the government told me the right to own slaves exists, but if it works for you, so be it. 

See my first statement.

Although the last bit is funny. You claim morals have no place and then turn around and say laws can be made for the "welfare of society" which is so vague as to be meaningless.

It seems straightforward to me. Not my problem if you don't get it.

That's straight out of Dictatorship 101.

Now that's funny.

Any and every law you possibly imagine can be justified under that rubric.

The same can be said of laws based on morality.

Abortion should be legal for the welfare of society, Abortion  should be illegal for the welfare of society. Works either way.

Making abortion illegal negatively affects the welfare of society, namely women's rights. Looks like it doesn't work the way you think. 

It's just a more dishonest way of imposing one's morals by hiding it behind "what's good for society, " rhetoric. 

Whose morals are being imposed exactly?

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
10.1.14  Sean Treacy  replied to  Gordy327 @10.1.13    6 years ago
Since the Amendment process already prohibited slavery, your argument is moot.

Do you understand how hypotheticals work? If you have principles rather than ad hoc rationalizations,  you could apply your principles to hypothetical situation. It's telling you can't do that..

Do you know the Constitution can be amended to allow slavery?  Booze was prohibited too, until it wasn't. I hope you understand the Constitution can always be changed and what rights are recognized today, might not be tomorrow. 

Since you profess that morality is irrelevant to the legality of a policy, you still have failed to state any basis to object to slavery if it was legalized by the Amendment process. At least no honest reasons. Same thing with abortion. If an amendment passes tomorrow granting legal protection to fetuses, you have no basis to object because the law would be clear and your objections to outlawing abortion are  moral (it's not fair to women). 

Not my problem if you don't get it.

But it's your problem if you actually believe it. Because if you don't understand that your personal opinions about what constitutes "what's good for the general welfare" are just your subjective moral opinions about what's "good" you really lack basic self awareness. Can you be that blind that you don't recognize you are just promoting your own opinions? You are  obviously just imposing your moral judgment  that  outlawing abortion negatively affects women rights.  But now that you made bizarre and irrational claims about morality not informing our legal system, you can't say it. 

Not to mention your argument is still internally inconsistent, because our rights come from the Constitution and if it's amended to say the right to an abortion doesn't exist, then the right to an abortion doesn't legally exist. So again, you would have no legal justification to advocate for a woman't right to an abortion, since it obviously wouldn't exist. Your entire argument for abortion would then be moral in nature. 

But if you really want a to live in a society where the laws bear no relationship to morality and are premised strictly on promoting the general welfare., you missed your chance. That ode to utilitarianism, the Nazi state, is dead and gone.  Because that's where your principles lead, if you have them. 

Gordy327
Professor Guide
10.1.15  Gordy327  replied to  Sean Treacy @10.1.14    6 years ago
Do you understand how hypotheticals work?

Let me know when you can do better than mere hypotheticals.

If you have principles rather than ad hoc rationalizations,  you could apply your principles to hypothetical situation. It's telling you can't do that..

Except you're the one playing with hypothetical situations.

Do you know the Constitution can be amended to allow slavery?  Booze was prohibited too, until it wasn't. I hope you understand the Constitution can always be changed and what rights are recognized today, might not be tomorrow. 

Do you know how difficult the process is to amend the constitution? Given today's socio-political climate, it's probably even more so.

Since you profess that morality is irrelevant to the legality of a policy, you still have failed to state any basis to object to slavery if it was legalized by the Amendment process.At least no honest reasons.

Individual rights. I already mentioned that.

Same thing with abortion. If an amendment passes tomorrow granting legal protection to fetuses, you have no basis to object because the law would be clear and your objections to outlawing abortion are  moral (it's not fair to women). 

Still have nothing better than hypotheticals, h?

But it's your problem if you actually believe it.

I generally don't go by belief.

Because if you don't understand that your personal opinions about what constitutes "what's good for the general welfare" are just your subjective moral opinions about what's "good" you really lack basic self awareness. Can you be that blind that you don't recognize you are just promoting your own opinions?

I have made no opinion about what actually constitutes good for general welfare. Only that it determines legislation.

You are  obviously just imposing your moral judgment  that  outlawing abortion negatively affects women rights.  But now that you made bizarre and irrational claims about morality not informing our legal system, you can't say it. 

It's not my moral opinion. It's simple fact. outlawing abortion means women lose their right to choose regarding their own well being and lose some of their autonomy. That is simple fact.

Not to mention your argument is still internally inconsistent, because our rights come from the Constitution and if it's amended to say the right to an abortion doesn't exist, then the right to an abortion doesn't legally exist.

Except the SCOTUS has affirmed the right to n abortion exists under the Constitution.

So again, you would have no legal justification to advocate for a woman's right to an abortion, since it obviously wouldn't exist. Your entire argument for abortion would then be moral in nature. 

Once again, you have nothing but hypotheticals.

But if you really want a to live in a society where the laws bear no relationship to morality and are premised strictly on promoting the general welfare., you missed your chance. That ode to utilitarianism, the Nazi state, is dead and gone.  Because that's where your principles lead, if you have them. 

Now you're really grasping at straws here.

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
10.1.16  Sean Treacy  replied to  Gordy327 @10.1.15    6 years ago
Let me know when you can do better than mere hypotheticals.

Why would I want to?  Perhaps you are unfamillar with higher education, but that's how  beliefs are explored and tested. Th whole point of a hypothetical is to explore whether you are arguing from principle or not. Since you've made it clear your supposed principles only apply in the narrow circumstances that they align with your morals, it's clear you are not.

u know how difficult the process is to amend the constitution? Given today's socio-political climate, it's probably even more so.

Who cares? The realty, of course, is it only takes 5 judges now to "amend" the Constitution.  Moreover, as anyone with a perfunctory knowledge of history will tell you, things change. The socio political environment of 2050 will be vastly different than today's, that's a given.  

I generally don't go by belief

It's obvious you just advocate your own beliefs. Shame you can't be honest and admit that, rather than ducking and diving. 

e made no opinion about what actually constitutes good for general welfare. Only that it determines legislation.

That's funny. Elected officials implementing their subjective personal beliefs determine legislation. That's it.  

It's simple fact. outlawing abortion means women lose their right to choose

But then that right doesn't exist. I'm surprised you don't get that, and the fetus's  right to life would be legally recognized. That's just a fact and belief has nothing to do with it.

cept the SCOTUS has affirmed the right to n abortion exists under the Constitution.

Until it doesn't...Or an amendment passes.  Things change, the future is not known to anyone, so you probably should learn to deal with surprises.   Your inability to grasp the possibility

of alternate outcomes is breath taking in it's simplistic naivete. I can't say I've encountered it an adult before. 

Once again, you have nothing but hypotheticals.

Because you can't handle them. If you had a consistent set of principles that apply in different circumstances, you would't be so scared of them. 

pat wilson
Professor Participates
10.1.17  pat wilson  replied to  Sean Treacy @10.1.16    6 years ago
It's simple fact. outlawing abortion means women lose their right to choose But then that right doesn't exist.

Nonsense, every woman has an inherent right to determine the course of her reproductive years.

Cerenkov
Professor Silent
10.1.18  Cerenkov  replied to  Gordy327 @10.1.4    6 years ago

Of course they are. Do you really bot understand that?

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
10.1.19  Sean Treacy  replied to  pat wilson @10.1.17    6 years ago
ense, every woman has an inherent right to determine the course of her reproductive years.

Not according to him. Rights only exist if the Courts says they do. 

Claiming a right is inherent is taking a moral position and that's not allowed in his world.   

Gordy327
Professor Guide
10.1.20  Gordy327  replied to  Sean Treacy @10.1.16    6 years ago
Why would I want to? 

To have some credibility perhaps.

Perhaps you are unfamillar with higher education, but that's how  beliefs are explored and tested. Th whole point of a hypothetical is to explore whether you are arguing from principle or not. Since you've made it clear your supposed principles only apply in the narrow circumstances that they align with your morals, it's clear you are not.

Clearly you don't understand what I said.

Who cares? The realty, of course, is it only takes 5 judges now to "amend" the Constitution. 

Clearly you do not understand how the amendment process works for the Constitution.

It's obvious you just advocate your own beliefs. Shame you can't be honest and admit that, rather than ducking and diving. 

Specify precisely what "beliefs" I advocated or have!

That's funny. Elected officials implementing their subjective personal beliefs determine legislation. That's it.  

Implementing legislation is still about the general welfare and rights and can also be challenged.

But then that right doesn't exist.

The SCOTUS disagrees with you.

I'm surprised you don't get that, and the fetus's  right to life would be legally recognized. That's just a fact and belief has nothing to do with it.

It seems you're factually bankrupt, as a fetus does not have rights, and for good reason.

Until it doesn't...Or an amendment passes.

Not likely to happen, as rights have never been rescinded once recognized. I guess some things don't change.

Because you can't handle them. If you had a consistent set of principles that apply in different circumstances, you would't be so scared of them

That's too funny and quite a grasp at straws now.

Not according to him. Rights only exist if the Courts says they do.

The courts recognize what rights we have when there is a question about it.

Claiming a right is inherent is taking a moral position and that's not allowed in his world

Are you suggesting women do not have an inherent right to their own choices or autonomy, especially where abortion is concerned?

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
10.1.21  Sean Treacy  replied to  Gordy327 @10.1.20    6 years ago
To have some credibility perha

A simple hypothetical has caused your brain to cease up. Talk about not having any credibility. 

learly you do not understand how the amendment process works for the Constitution.

Did the Court follow the Amendment process to discover a right to abortion? Surely you know the Supreme Court can overturn that ruling and remove that right with 5 votes, don't you? I hope you at least understand that.

he SCOTUS disagrees with you.

Your mind is an a pretzel again. You can't fathom things change. How sad. 

pt, as a fetus does not have rights, and for good reason.

Watch out! this is going to cause your brain to stop functioning again. IF 5 justices say a fetus does have rights, than a fetus has legally recognized rights! Then the right to an abortion wouldn't  exist again. 

Things change. What's true today isn't necessarily true tomorrow. Look at what the moral push for gay marriage has changed in less than 20 years. I'm amazed an adult has so much trouble dealing with the concept of change. 

he courts recognize what rights we have when there is a question about it.

And if they say the fetus has a right not to have a scalpel stuck in his brain, than the fetus has that right. 

Are you suggesting women do not have an inherent right to their own choices or autonomy, especially where abortion is concerned?

Wait. Now you are claiming that inherent rights exist  regardless of what the Supreme Court says. Because if you are, just admit I'm right and end the charade. 

Gordy327
Professor Guide
10.1.22  Gordy327  replied to  Sean Treacy @10.1.21    6 years ago
A simple hypothetical has caused your brain to cease up. Talk about not having any credibility. 

Hardly.  Your hypotehticals are pretty much irrelevant.

Did the Court follow the Amendment process to discover a right to abortion? Surely you know the Supreme Court can overturn that ruling and remove that right with 5 votes, don't you? I hope you at least understand that.

The court interpreted the Constitution to include the right to an abortion exists. That is their responsibility. They effectively struck down unnecessary bans against abortion. Therefore, abortion is permissible.

Your mind is an a pretzel again. You can't fathom things change. How sad. 

You can't fathom that you're wrong and that you have to rely on 'what-if's.' Yeah, sad indeed.

Watch out! this is going to cause your brain to stop functioning again.

Transparent attacks seem to be all you're capable of at this point.

IF 5 justices say a fetus does have rights, than a fetus has legally recognized rights! Then the right to an abortion wouldn't  exist again. 

More what-if's I see. Rather funny too considering states that have tried to legislate fetal rights have always been struck down.

Things change. What's true today isn't necessarily true tomorrow.

Great. When it happens, let me know. So far, it hasn't changed in over 40 years.

Look at what the moral push for gay marriage has changed in less than 20 years. I'm amazed an adult has so much trouble dealing with the concept of change. 

The push for SSM was based on marriage rights. Morality is irrelevant to that. I've noticed those opposed to marriage equality cited "moral" objections as a reason. Hmph, some "morality."

And if they say the fetus has a right not to have a scalpel stuck in his brain, than the fetus has that right. 

I'm sure you'll let me know when that happens. I'll wait.

Wait. Now you are claiming that inherent rights exist  regardless of what the Supreme Court says.

That is not what I said. The SCOTUS had to determine women had an inherent right to their autonomy. Now, are you going to answer my question?

Because if you are, just admit I'm right and end the charade.

When you're right about something, I'll let you know. So far, you're not. 

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
10.1.23  Sean Treacy  replied to  Gordy327 @10.1.22    6 years ago

Instead of your constant ducking and repeating your opinion over and over, answer this simple question:

Does the right to an abortion exist if either the Constitution is amended to ban abortion or  the Supreme Court simply says it doesn't?

Bit I do want to bask in this...

he push for SSM was based on marriage rights. Morality is irrelevant to that. 

This is perfect. Just like the decades long crusade to end slavery didn't rely on moral arguments. It's hilarious anyone who paid attention to that movement could possibly say that. 

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
10.1.24  XXJefferson51  replied to  Sean Treacy @10.1.23    6 years ago

Well said Sean.  Great comments across the thread.  thumbs up

Gordy327
Professor Guide
10.1.25  Gordy327  replied to  Sean Treacy @10.1.23    6 years ago
Instead of your constant ducking and repeating your opinion over and over, 

I have done neither.

Does the right to an abortion exist if either the Constitution is amended to ban abortion or  the Supreme Court simply says it doesn't?

The right to an abortion exists because the Constitution was interpreted to conclude it exists, as bans against it were unconstitutional.

This is perfect. Just like the decades long crusade to end slavery didn't rely on moral arguments. It's hilarious anyone who paid attention to that movement could possibly say that. 

The fight for marriage equality was based on marriage rights. There was no logical or legal reason to deny marriage equality. As I said, many people opposed marriage equality based on "moral" grounds. I suppose that's why marriage equality opponents lost almost unanimously in the courts.

Gordy327
Professor Guide
10.1.26  Gordy327  replied to  XXJefferson51 @10.1.24    6 years ago
Well said Sean.  Great comments across the thread

Not even a little.

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
10.1.27  Sean Treacy  replied to  Gordy327 @10.1.25    6 years ago
ight to an abortion exists because the Constitution was interpreted to conclude it exists, as bans against it were unconstitutional.

So the right to an abortion exists only because the Constitution was interpreted to conclude it exists? 

Junior Participates
10.1.28  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו  replied to    6 years ago
Check and mate you win because I say so.

I'm glad you don't pretend it's based on anything like reasoning or facts.  

96WS6
Junior Quiet
10.1.29  seeder  96WS6  replied to  Gordy327 @10.1.4    6 years ago
Abortion isn't murder and no humans are murdered in an abortion.

Exactly at what point does a "Fetus" become "human"?

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
10.1.30  Bob Nelson  replied to  96WS6 @10.1.29    6 years ago

Bad question.

"Fetus" is a stage of gestation. It is applicable to any higher animal species.

"Human" is a species. The word is applicable to any tissue from a human. Sperm and eggs are human. Nail clippings are human.

A much better question is "What defines a 'person' , and at what point does a developing human become a person?"

Gordy327
Professor Guide
10.1.31  Gordy327  replied to  Sean Treacy @10.1.27    6 years ago
So the right to an abortion exists only because the Constitution was interpreted to conclude it exists? 

The right to an abortion exists because states passed laws effectively saying it doesn't exist and was not allowed, effectively denying women their autonomy and self determination, especially with regards to their personal and private choices with respect to their bodies and/or health. Such laws were struck down as unconstitutional, effectively meaning the right does in fact exist and denying that right is unconstitutional. 

Gordy327
Professor Guide
10.1.32  Gordy327  replied to  96WS6 @10.1.29    6 years ago

What bob said!

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
10.1.33  Sean Treacy  replied to  Gordy327 @10.1.31    6 years ago

Why can't you answer a simple question?  It's obvious why you won't but I'll keep asking anyway.

Does the right to an abortion exist if the Supreme Court says it doesn't?

Yest or No?

user image
Freshman Silent
10.1.34    replied to  Bob Nelson @10.1.30    6 years ago
Nail clippings are human.

E.A Wow  wow  wow --- " Nail Clippings " if unobstructed GROW to be Fully Formed HUMANS ,, who would have known THAT !!!!

user image
Freshman Silent
10.1.35    replied to  Sean Treacy @10.1.33    6 years ago
Why can't you answer a simple question?  It's obvious why you won't but I'll keep asking anyway.

Removed

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
10.1.36  Sean Treacy  replied to  @10.1.34    6 years ago
s " if unobstructed GROW to be Fully Formed HUMANS ,, who would have known THAT

It's amazing how proud the abortion cheerleaders are of their ignorance. To openly admit you can't differentiate between nails, or a sperm and a unique life.

Amazing.

user image
Freshman Silent
10.1.37    replied to  Sean Treacy @10.1.36    6 years ago

E.A that reminds me so Blaringly " Ignorance is Bliss "!!!

How many Scientist will give BOTH arms to find a way to " Make a " Nail Clippings " Become a Full Human being " :-)

See Parthenogenesis and its pitfalls :-)

Gordy327
Professor Guide
10.1.38  Gordy327  replied to  Sean Treacy @10.1.33    6 years ago

I already answered your question. Perhaps you weren't paying attention. Or you simply didn't like the response. 

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
10.1.39  Bob Nelson  replied to  @10.1.34    6 years ago

Apparently you have a definition of "human" that has nothing to do with any conventional definition.

Why am I not surprised?    thumbs up

96WS6
Junior Quiet
10.1.40  seeder  96WS6  replied to  Bob Nelson @10.1.30    6 years ago

I see so you would like to be able to kill it until it takes it's first breath.  Got it.  How Humane of you.  If you claim you are NOT a murderer then tell me when it has rights of it's own.

96WS6
Junior Quiet
10.1.41  seeder  96WS6  replied to  Gordy327 @10.1.32    6 years ago

So you would like to be able to kill it until it takes it's first breath?   How humane of you.  Bob's answer was a BS cop out.   When does it have rights of it's own EXACTLY?   Why won't liberals answer this question?  If you don't define when it becomes murder you advocate murder.  

How come every time I have this debate with a liberal and I say OK I agree you should be able to kill a fetus but not a baby so lets agree on when it becomes a baby they go silent or will give some roundabout BS answer so they can keep that goalpost moving?  How come every time it comes time to put a date on when abortion stops and murder begins the debate stops?

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
10.1.42  Bob Nelson  replied to  96WS6 @10.1.40    6 years ago
I see so you would like to be able to kill it until it takes it's first breath.

chelsea.png Some societies have not considered a new-born to be a person until long after birth, at some later milestone such as walking or talking.

Self-awareness, which is one of the essential elements of becoming a person, does not happen until several months after birth.

Can you explain what your "last limit" is and why? Or is your argumentation on this topic limited to attacking those who disagree with you?

Gordy327
Professor Guide
10.1.43  Gordy327  replied to  96WS6 @10.1.41    6 years ago
So you would like to be able to kill it until it takes it's first breath?   

Where did I say that exactly? Or are you just making things up at this point?

How humane of you. 

Spare me your sarcastic appeal to emotion.

Bob's answer was a BS cop out.   

Bob's answer was factually correct.

When does it have rights of it's own EXACTLY?

Birth!

Why won't liberals answer this question?

I'm not a liberal, but what does that have to do with anything? You seem rather hung up on liberal vs. conservative (not to mention emotional), which shows a bias and damages your own credibility.

If you don't define when it becomes murder you advocate murder.

"Murder" is already legally defined.

How come every time I have this debate with a liberal

To whom are you referring? 

and I say OK I agree you should be able to kill a fetus but not a baby so lets agree on when it becomes a baby they go silent or will give some roundabout BS answer so they can keep that goalpost moving?

It becomes a baby at birth. Before birth, it's a fetus. Simple fact.

How come every time it comes time to put a date on when abortion stops and murder begins the debate stops?

There has been a date on when abortion are not permitted. Elective abortions are generally not allowed past the point of viability. Afterwards, it's allowed in cases of medical necessity. 

then tell me when it has rights of it's own.

Birth!

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
10.1.44  Trout Giggles  replied to  Gordy327 @10.1.43    6 years ago
There has been a date on when abortion are not permitted. Elective abortions are generally not allowed past the point of viability. Afterwards, it's allowed in cases of medical necessity. 

Why do they always forget this?

That is decided law....Roe vs Wade

Gordy327
Professor Guide
10.1.45  Gordy327  replied to  Trout Giggles @10.1.44    6 years ago
Why do they always forget this?

Because, if you noticed, the more emotional their arguments become, the more they forget or ignore actual facts or relevant information.

That is decided law....Roe vs Wade

Indeed. And that has only been reaffirmed and reinforced over time.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
10.1.46  Trout Giggles  replied to  Gordy327 @10.1.45    6 years ago

They take everything to an extreme

96WS6
Junior Quiet
10.1.47  seeder  96WS6  replied to  Gordy327 @10.1.43    6 years ago

Although I don't agree with it, I give you props for admitting you are OK with killing it until it takes it's first breath.  Most don't have the balls.

Gordy327
Professor Guide
10.1.48  Gordy327  replied to  96WS6 @10.1.47    6 years ago
I give you props for admitting you are OK with killing it until it takes it's first breath. 

Specify precisely where I said that! Or are you misquoting me, which is as good as lying!

96WS6
Junior Quiet
10.1.49  seeder  96WS6  replied to  Trout Giggles @10.1.44    6 years ago

What the law is and what many people on the left want to change the law to are two different things.  Gordy straight up said he thinks you should be able to kill it until it breaths on it's own.

Gordy327
Professor Guide
10.1.50  Gordy327  replied to  Trout Giggles @10.1.46    6 years ago
They take everything to an extreme

Yep, kind of an all or none approach, with little attention to the details or circumstances.

Gordy327
Professor Guide
10.1.51  Gordy327  replied to  96WS6 @10.1.49    6 years ago
What the law is and what many people on the left want to change the law to are two different things. 

It isn't just the left that want to change the current law.

Gordy straight up said he thinks you should be able to kill it until it breaths on it's own.

Specify where or admit you're lying!

96WS6
Junior Quiet
10.1.52  seeder  96WS6  replied to  Gordy327 @10.1.48    6 years ago
then tell me when it has rights of it's own.

Birth!

If this does not mean you are OK with it being killed up until it takes it's first breath then what exactly does it mean?

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
10.1.53  Trout Giggles  replied to  96WS6 @10.1.49    6 years ago

I'm pretty sure that's not what he said. You have to show proof that he did or else you're not telling the truth and lying got somebody in trouble the other day

96WS6
Junior Quiet
10.1.54  seeder  96WS6  replied to  Gordy327 @10.1.51    6 years ago

See 10.1.52

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
10.1.55  Trout Giggles  replied to  96WS6 @10.1.52    6 years ago

That's not what that means. Try using a little more logic and whole lot less emotion when debating this issue, otherwise you become tiresome and boring

96WS6
Junior Quiet
10.1.56  seeder  96WS6  replied to  Trout Giggles @10.1.53    6 years ago

He said it doesn't have rights until birth.  Can you explain the difference?  I asked him too let's see what he comes up with.

96WS6
Junior Quiet
10.1.57  seeder  96WS6  replied to  Trout Giggles @10.1.55    6 years ago

If you are sure "it doesn't have rights until birth" is different than being OK with aborting it until it takes it's first breath then please explain how it is different....and please explain what YOU think he means.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
10.1.58  Trout Giggles  replied to  96WS6 @10.1.56    6 years ago

What kind of rights do you want it to have before it's born?

Use your head! Anybody that is doing third trimester abortions that are medically unnecesary (Gosnell ring a bell?), are committing a crime. Gordy knows that because Gordy uses his brain and thinks logically, whereas you are running strictly Pure D Emotion.

And if you know of anybody that are performing these kinds of "abortions" you'd better call the authorities or you're an accessory.

Gordy327
Professor Guide
10.1.59  Gordy327  replied to  96WS6 @10.1.54    6 years ago
See 10.1.52

Where in my post did I say I thought a fetus should be killed up until it takes a breath? Your question was "When does it have rights of it's own EXACTLY," to which the correct answer I gave is birth. No where did I say anything about killing a fetus until it takes a breath. So you either have no idea what you're talking about and completely misunderstanding me, or you're lying. Which is it?

He said it doesn't have rights until birth.

Which is factually correct.

Can you explain the difference? 

When a fetus has rights vs when it can be aborted are two entirely different things. Abortions past the point of viability are already not allowed. Your error is that you equate the two.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
10.1.60  Trout Giggles  replied to  96WS6 @10.1.57    6 years ago

IMPASSE

96WS6
Junior Quiet
10.1.61  seeder  96WS6  replied to  Gordy327 @10.1.59    6 years ago

Where in my post did I say I thought a fetus should be killed up until it takes a breath? Your question was "When does it have rights of it's own EXACTLY," to which the correct answer I gave is birth. No where did I say anything about killing a fetus until it takes a breath. So you either have no idea what you're talking about and completely misunderstanding me, or you're lying. Which is it?

I am misunderstanding you please explain how "it doesn't have rights until birth" is different than being OK with aborting it until birth?

96WS6
Junior Quiet
10.1.62  seeder  96WS6  replied to  Trout Giggles @10.1.58    6 years ago

You are making as big of assumption as I am on what he means.  He said it doesn't have rights until birth and that is COMPLETELY different than what you are talking about.  YOU are saying it has rights when it reaches an age of surviving outside of the womb (which I agree with) but that is NOT ANYWHERE EVEN CLOSE to what Gordy is saying.

Gordy327
Professor Guide
10.1.63  Gordy327  replied to  96WS6 @10.1.61    6 years ago
I am misunderstanding you

That much is obvious.

please explain how "it doesn't have rights until birth" is different than being OK with aborting it until birth?

I already did.

You are making as big of assumption as I am on what he means.

The difference is, Trout understands what I mean.

If this does not mean you are OK with it being killed up until it takes it's first breath then what exactly does it mean?

It means a fetus does not have rights until birth. I can't make it any clearer than that. It seems you're looking too deep into something that is not there.

96WS6
Junior Quiet
10.1.64  seeder  96WS6  replied to  Gordy327 @10.1.63    6 years ago

You have explained nothing.  Give me a simple yes or no answer.  Does the baby have rights when it is able to live outside the womb on it's own or after birth?   They are two very different things that you seem to refuse to distinguish the difference between.  If you are saying it does not have rights until birth then you are obviously OK with someone killing a child that could be delivered prematurely and live, because that child still happens to be in the womb

You can answer it this way too.  Is it OK to kill it up until it comes out of the womb of natural means?.   I am asking for a simple distinction that you refuse to answer.  WHY?

If you claim what you say is different that what you mean I guess there is no point in continuing the debate as my crystal ball is currently in the shop

Gordy327
Professor Guide
10.1.65  Gordy327  replied to  96WS6 @10.1.64    6 years ago
You have explained nothing. 

Yes, I did. Your inability or refusal to understand or accept my explanation is your problem, not mine.

Give me a simple yes or no answer.

I gave you my answer. So don't try to corral a simplistic response that you find appealing.

Does the baby have rights when it is able to live outside the womb on it's own or after birth?   They are two very different things that you seem to refuse to distinguish the difference between.

The difference is birth. Before birth, the unborn does not have rights. That is simple legal fact. But elective abortions are also generally not allowed past the point of viability. At birth, it has rights. See the difference yet? What you fail to distinguish is the difference between when a fetus has rights and when it is permissible to be aborted.

I am asking for a simple distinction that you refuse to answer. WHY?

See previous statement. I made the distinction. Consider yourself answered.

If you claim what you say is different that what you mean

I said what I mean. I can't make it any simpler for you.

I guess there is no point in continuing the debate as my crystal ball is currently in the shop

I guess that means you're simply incapable of comprehending what I mean.

96WS6
Junior Quiet
10.1.66  seeder  96WS6  replied to  Gordy327 @10.1.65    6 years ago
The difference is birth. Before birth, the unborn does not have rights.

Hey now were getting somewhere, now just explain what the difference between "before birth" and "before it's first breath" is.....Looks like I didn't really put words in your mouth at all doesn't it?

I understand your take completely.  It is OK to kill it until it is born.  Third trimester is OK.  In labor?  Hurry up and kill it before it comes out on it's own!

Gordy327
Professor Guide
10.1.67  Gordy327  replied to  96WS6 @10.1.66    6 years ago
now just explain what the difference between "before birth" and "before it's first breath" is.....

I already did. I'm not going to keep repeating myself.

Looks like I didn't really put words in your mouth at all doesn't it?

Yeah, you did. 

I understand your take completely. It is OK to kill it until it is born.

Clearly you don't understand! Not surprising either. Best to wait for your crystal ball to come back from the shop before you attempt to engage in a discussion further.

Third trimester is OK. In labor? Hurry up and kill it before it comes out on it's own!

Resorting to factually incorrect and probable emotionally based statements only makes you look foolish.

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
10.1.68  Sean Treacy  replied to  Gordy327 @10.1.38    6 years ago
already answered your question. Perhaps you weren't paying attention. Or you simply didn't like the response. 

No you didn't, you avoided it.

Yest or No?

96WS6
Junior Quiet
10.1.69  seeder  96WS6  replied to  Gordy327 @10.1.67    6 years ago

You keep avoiding the subject for obvious reasons.  You won't give a yes or no answer to pointed questions.  Are you that ashamed of your own opinion on the subject?    If the mother is in labor it isn't born and abortion is still OK in your opinion right?  

Gordy327
Professor Guide
10.1.70  Gordy327  replied to  Sean Treacy @10.1.68    6 years ago
No you didn't, you cowardly avoided it.

Yes, I did answer it. It seems anything more complicated than a simplistic yes/no to a baseless hypothetical is too complicated for you.

96WS6
Junior Quiet
10.1.71  seeder  96WS6  replied to  Gordy327 @10.1.70    6 years ago

How about answering it by saying what you actually mean instead of a generalized response and "trout giggles knows what I mean".  You don't have the balls to clarify your position..or any examples of your position.Sean hit the nail on the head!

Gordy327
Professor Guide
10.1.72  Gordy327  replied to  96WS6 @10.1.69    6 years ago
You keep avoiding the subject for obvious reasons.  You won't give a yes or no answer to pointed questions. 

Not at all. I explained everything to you already. You don't seem to understand anything other than 'yes/no." 

Are you that ashamed of your own opinion on the subject?   

Not at all. But I've provided actual facts.

If the mother is in labor it isn't born and abotrion is OK right?

No, it isn't. I already explained why. Not to mention your statement is an absurdity too.

Gordy327
Professor Guide
10.1.73  Gordy327  replied to  96WS6 @10.1.71    6 years ago
How about answering it by saying what you actually mean instead of a generalized response and "trout giggles knows what I mean". 

I already did and I thought I was quite clear too. And yes, trout did know what I meant. you clearly do not.

You don't have the balls to explain your position..Sean hit the nail on the head!

You lack the comprehension to understand (or accept) what I said. At this point, it seems you just want to argue.

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
10.1.74  Sean Treacy  replied to  Gordy327 @10.1.73    6 years ago

Yest or No

96WS6
Junior Quiet
10.1.75  seeder  96WS6  replied to  Gordy327 @10.1.72    6 years ago

You keep pedaling the "i already explained it" crap that no one is buying.   It is obvious you don't have the balls to clarify your position.  It doesn't have rights until it is born but you can't abort it if you are in labor?   You are contradicting YOURSELF for crying out loud and won't clarify because it might make you look bad.   Again, Sean hit the nail on the head.

charger 383
Professor Silent
10.1.76  charger 383  replied to  Sean Treacy @10.1.74    6 years ago

Yes, unless they also take away the right to take ExLax to relive constipation and taking aspirin for a headachy   

Gordy327
Professor Guide
10.1.77  Gordy327  replied to  96WS6 @10.1.75    6 years ago
You keep pedaling the "i already explained it" crap that no one is buying.   It is obvious you don't have the balls to clarify your position. 

I already did. Clearly you're incapable of comprehending.

It doesn't have rights until it is born but you can't abort it if you are in labor? 

That's correct. 

You are contradicting YOURSELF for crying out loud and won't clarify because it might make you look bad. 

I did clarify. But once again, you fail to understand the distinction. perhaps if you understood the law, you might understand my statements.

Again, Sean hit the nail on the head.

Not even a little.

Gordy327
Professor Guide
10.1.78  Gordy327  replied to  Sean Treacy @10.1.74    6 years ago
Does the right to an abortion exist if the Supreme Court says it doesn't? Yest or No

I already answered. Now you're just repeating yourself.

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
10.1.79  Sean Treacy  replied to  Gordy327 @10.1.78    6 years ago
I already answered. 

Of course you didn't. If you did, you would just say yes or no. Your inability to answer speaks volumes. 

So let's see how you dodge it dodge it this time:

Yest or No

Gordy327
Professor Guide
10.1.80  Gordy327  replied to  Sean Treacy @10.1.79    6 years ago
Of course you didn't. If you did, you would just say yes or no. Your inability to answer speaks volumes. 

Your inability or refusal to understand or accept my response speak volumes about you!

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
10.1.81  Sean Treacy  replied to  Gordy327 @10.1.80    6 years ago

Pretty weak dodge. Let's try again:

Yes or No

Gordy327
Professor Guide
10.1.82  Gordy327  replied to  Sean Treacy @10.1.81    6 years ago

Keep repeating yourself all you want. My response was given and will not change!

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
10.1.83  Sean Treacy  replied to  Gordy327 @10.1.82    6 years ago

As long as you keep ducking the question, I'll keep asking. Sad you can't answer honestly. Instead,  you resort to the tactics a five year old would find embarrassingly juvenile. 

Yes or No

Gordy327
Professor Guide
10.1.84  Gordy327  replied to  Sean Treacy @10.1.83    6 years ago
As long as you keep ducking the question, I'll keep asking.

And I'll keep referring you to my previous replies.

Sad you can't answer honestly.

Sad you can't accept my answer.

Instead,  you resort to the tactics a five year old would find embarrassingly juvenile. 

You mean like repeating the same question over and over again? Kind of like an online version of "are we there yet?"

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
10.1.85  Sean Treacy  replied to  Gordy327 @10.1.84    6 years ago
Sad you can't accept my answer

But you haven't answered it. And you know it.  And that why's you continue to refuse to do so. 

Look at all the time and energy you've wasted to avoid providing a simple yes or no answer.  Rather than provide a simple answer you post reply after desperate reply. I know you  have a compulsive need to have the last word, but this too much fun to stop. So I'll keep asking.

Yes or No

Tacos!
Professor Guide
11  Tacos!    6 years ago
‘Roe’ Helped Add ‘Three And A Half Trillion Dollars To Our Economy’

Yeah, about in the way that me simply showing up for work "helps" add trillions of dollars to the economy. I'm helping! thumbs up

It probably IS connected, but who knows by how much? Chelsea makes it sound like it's the main driving force. It seems likely to me that there were other factors driving the increase of women in the workforce. 

The percentage of the workforce that was female was on a pretty steady increase dating to the 1940s,  but that rate of change did increase some in the 1970s. 

The biggest factor in the increase was probably not abortion, but rather a declining economy, which forced women to work who might otherwise have remained at home.

It was also the beginning of affirmative action programs both in government employment and the private sector.

Also, beginning in 1970 in California, states began allowing for no-fault divorce, which (surprise!) increased the divorce rate and compelled more women to have to support themselves.

And there was some government intervention, too. The Equal Pay Act of 1963, the Civil Rights Act of 64, Title IX, and more all helped women into the workforce.

Abortion has been an important economic stimulus ever since it was legalized by the 1973 Roe v. Wade Supreme Court decision

That sounds optimistic. Abortion rates have been tapering off for years with no obvious impact on the economy one way or the other. And while an abortion might add women to the workforce, it also deprives the economy of about half a million new workers every year.

And a little over half of U.S. mothers are working anyway - an increase from the 70s when it was closer to 1/3. They manage to work and have children.

I think Chelsea is probably overstating abortion's positive impact on the economy, but since she didn't cite to any authority, it's hard to know what she's talking about, really.

user image
Freshman Silent
12      6 years ago

What is the economic COSTS for present and Future that those Abortions Cost, and lets not forget the Medical Genetic Factors, if  unaware of them, make an effort to learn!

Tessylo
Professor Principal
12.1  Tessylo  replied to  @12    6 years ago

You keep talking that nonsense about abortion causing genetic defects in the future.  GTFOOH with that crazy nonsense.  

Silent_Hysteria
Freshman Silent
13  Silent_Hysteria    6 years ago

1725E57805124DC3B0BA9A5E9248F3B1132800000244F2BB7A97.jpeg I'm atheist.... so my objection to elective abortion is not one based on religion.  I just couldn't agree with the left extremist that the attatched pic was just a clump of cells....that and abortion seems to be used to cover for poor personal mistakes more than anything.  Although I'm not totally against abortion.  It helps keep undesirable populations in check (THANKS DEMOCRATS!) ....  I just can't agree that it isn't a person after a 3 months personally.  Can you say the attatched pic is just cells?

Gordy327
Professor Guide
13.1  Gordy327  replied to  Silent_Hysteria @13    6 years ago

Are you seriously trying to pass off that pic as real? Or are you simply trying to spead pro-life propaganda in an obvious attempt at an appeal to emotion, which is as good as lying!

Silent_Hysteria
Freshman Silent
13.1.1  Silent_Hysteria  replied to  Gordy327 @13.1    6 years ago

Not trying to pass anything off.  Posting the bloody mess was too much.  This serves its purpose... as in the womb a fetus will look similar to this at some point in the gestation.  Is that a clump of cells at that point in time?

Gordy327
Professor Guide
13.1.2  Gordy327  replied to  Silent_Hysteria @13.1.1    6 years ago
Not trying to pass anything off.  

Then why post it?

Posting the bloody mess was too much.  

No more so than menses.

This serves its purpose...

And that is? The only purpose it can serve is misinformation and misrepresentation and/or an appeal to emotion.

as in the womb a fetus will look similar to this at some point in the gestation.

Yeah, in the 3rd trimester. 

Is that a clump of cells at that point in time?

Yes. We're all just a clump of cells. But more specifically, at that point in time, it's a fetus.

Silent_Hysteria
Freshman Silent
13.1.3  Silent_Hysteria  replied to  Gordy327 @13.1.2    6 years ago

It's a baby.  Calling it a fetus the entire time it's in the womb is playing semantics.  Worse yet it trivializes the life it is.  Early pregnancy I'll agree with you.  When it has fully developed limbs and other features calling it a lump of cells is dishonest. 

It is well before the third trimester that it looks like that.  Hell they have saved kids born prematurely at 24-28 weeks now.  I refuse to believe something only qualifies as a human depending on which side of the vagina is on.  It's the extremist rhetoric on the left constantly calling it a lump of cells and saying someone should be allowed to have an elective abortion at 39 weeks if they decide they don't want the kid that turned me off from the left on this issue

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
13.1.4  Bob Nelson  replied to  Silent_Hysteria @13.1.3    6 years ago
Calling it a fetus the entire time it's in the womb is playing semantics.

Exactly. That's why people who actually look into the subject have a larger vocabulary. The minimum is zygote-embryo-fetus, but gestation has been divided much more finely than that if you wish.

There's this thing called Google... try it.

It's a baby.

deleted For all others, it becomes a baby at birth.

Gordy327
Professor Guide
13.1.5  Gordy327  replied to  Silent_Hysteria @13.1.3    6 years ago
It's a baby.

No, it's not.

Calling it a fetus the entire time it's in the womb is playing semantics.  

Calling it a fetus is exactly what it is. Look it up!

Worse yet it trivializes the life it is.

Spare us the appeal to emotion.

Early pregnancy I'll agree with you.  When it has fully developed limbs and other features calling it a lump of cells is dishonest. 

The difference between early and later stages of pregnancy is the differentiation of cells. Still just cells though.

It is well before the third trimester that it looks like that.

So you go by how it look then?

Hell they have saved kids born prematurely at 24-28 weeks now.

Medical science is great, isn't it?

I refuse to believe something only qualifies as a human depending on which side of the vagina is on.

The great thin about facts is they are true whether you want to believe it or not.

It's the extremist rhetoric on the left constantly calling it a lump of cells and saying someone should be allowed to have an elective abortion at 39 weeks if they decide they don't want the kid that turned me off from the left on this issue

I don't know of anyone calling for abortions at 39 weeks. So your sweeping and erroneous generalization only shows how weak your argument really is.

Silent_Hysteria
Freshman Silent
13.1.6  Silent_Hysteria  replied to  Gordy327 @13.1.5    6 years ago

Yes people have called for abortions at 39 weeks.  Even on here and sites past it was pretty established that was the belief.  To be clear I'm talking specifically elective abortions.  Abortions due to medical reasons is a different situation.  

The basis of my argument has always been there needs to be a limit on when you can have an abortion.  I usually am told by liberals that "no one says you should have an abortion at 39 weeks!  No one does that!"

well if no one does that then there is no issue making a law saying you can't... 

Calling a third trimester baby a clump of cells at third trimester is disturbing.  Do you even have kids? Why be that extreme in your opinion?  Do you actually believe that? Or is it just to try and troll people?  It's the exact opposite of the extreme right that says it's a baby at one week.  If it weren't for extremists we would have a lot more compromises in society. 

Silent_Hysteria
Freshman Silent
13.1.7  Silent_Hysteria  replied to  Gordy327 @13.1.5    6 years ago

In addition.  Yes I know the definitions say it's a fetus in the womb.  That is just technical definitions.  It still is a baby.  Just as it's magma in the earth and lava once it's out... the technical name change doesn't change the nature of what it is

Silent_Hysteria
Freshman Silent
13.1.8  Silent_Hysteria  replied to  Bob Nelson @13.1.4    6 years ago

I replied the same to someone else but it bears repeating.  I find it disturbing you and others would look at at a baby 39 weeks gestation and have no problem sticking a scalpel in its skull.  Especially when in 5 minutes it could have been born and been a "person" in your eyes at that moment.  

Yes, most people are familiar with the terminology. However, I refuse to trivialize a baby's life by acting like it is worthless until it passes a vagina.  

You can say it's magama in the ground and lava once it speed forth. That does not change the nature of what it is.  It is a baby.  Yet I'm the "nutzoid" because I view it as a full life?  Think about what you are saying.  Imagine snapping an infants neck...that is what you are saying you are ok with because it is magically not a life until its born.  I honesty wonder if some of you actually believe what you say or if you are trolling.  If you are trolling why?  Why not have an adult conversation about it

Gordy327
Professor Guide
13.1.9  Gordy327  replied to  Silent_Hysteria @13.1.6    6 years ago
Yes people have called for abortions at 39 weeks.  Even on here and sites past it was pretty established that was the belief.  

Oh BS! I haven't heard of any such calls. Besides, abortions would not be performed at 39 weeks. At that point, labor would either be induced or a C-section performed.

To be clear I'm talking specifically elective abortions.  Abortions due to medical reasons is a different situation.  

Not to worry then, as elective late term abortions are not allowed. Only in cases of medical necessity are late term abortions allowed.

The basis of my argument has always been there needs to be a limit on when you can have an abortion.

The general limit is the point of viability except in cases of medical necessity.

I usually am told by liberals that "no one says you should have an abortion at 39 weeks!  No one does that!"

I don't know anyone saying that. Specify where such a thing is happening!

well if no one does that then there is no issue making a law saying you can't... 

The issue is (mostly) conservatives saying a woman can't have an abortion at the point of detection of a heartbeat, 1st trimester, before viability, ect..

Calling a third trimester baby a clump of cells at third trimester is disturbing.

We are all just organized clump of cells. It's no different than saying we're mostly bags of water, which is not untrue.

Why be that extreme in your opinion?

It's not opinion. it's fact. The body is composed of cells. Simple science.

Do you actually believe that?

I usually don't go by belief.

Or is it just to try and troll people?  

Funny how some people view others pointing out facts is "trolling."

Yes I know the definitions say it's a fetus in the womb.

Then calling it a "baby" or "child" is incorrect.

That is just technical definitions.

No, those are actual definitions.

It still is a baby.

Again, you're wrong. You don't get to make up your own definitions.

Just as it's magma in the earth and lava once it's out... the technical name change doesn't change the nature of what it is

So a zygote/blastocyst/embryo equates to a baby in your mind? 

I find it disturbing you and others would look at at a baby 39 weeks gestation and have no problem sticking a scalpel in its skull. Especially when in 5 minutes it could have been born and been a "person" in your eyes at that moment.

Again, where is that happening and who is making that claim? it sounds like some pro-life propaganda, i.e. lies!

Yes, most people are familiar with the terminology. However, I refuse to trivialize a baby's life by acting like it is worthless until it passes a vagina.

Its 'value" or not is a matter of personal opinion. It's not for you to make that determination for anyone else.

You can say it's magama in the ground and lava once it speed forth. That does not change the nature of what it is.

A poor analogy.

It is a baby.

Still wrong!

Yet I'm the "nutzoid" because I view it as a full life?

The issue isn't whether it's "life." A bacterium is "life' too. Do you trivialize that?

Think about what you are saying. Imagine snapping an infants neck...

You have some bizarre fantasies.

that is what you are saying you are ok with because it is magically not a life until its born.

Not even a little. That is also a misrepresentation of what someone is saying, which is as good as lying.

Why not have an adult conversation about it

We are. You're the one getting emotional and borderline irrational about it, especially when you're corrected in your misinformation.

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
13.1.10  Bob Nelson  replied to  Silent_Hysteria @13.1.8    6 years ago
I find it disturbing...

The key word being "I". You are expressing your own personal reaction. That's fine. You are entitled to your opinion, and at least you are not expressing it as an absolute truth.

Yet I'm the "nutzoid" because I view it as a full life?

Yes, because you insist on using words incorrectly, as if by abusing the word you can somehow force reality to change.

When does a fertilized egg become a "baby" in your opinion? This is important for a couple reasons.

First, because many anti-abortion people say "as of fertilization". That is to say, they consider a two-cell zygote to be a person. This position is tenable only by recourse to something like a "soul". That is a defensible position, on the condition of being frank about it. Sadly, many anti-abortion people do not understand their own ideas well enough to argue them coherently.

Second, if the ZEF (zygote/embryo/fetus) becomes a person later in the gestation cycle, a "moment of personhood" must be defined... and personally, I have never heard a convincing argument for this.

So... it's a "baby" after birth, because that's the conventional meaning of the word "baby". If you wish to discuss the fascinating topic of "when is it a person"... I'm ready and willing! Go for it!

Junior Participates
13.1.11  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו  replied to  Silent_Hysteria @13.1.6    6 years ago
Yes people have called for abortions at 39 weeks.

False

Even on here and sites past it was pretty established that was the belief.

False

To be clear I'm talking specifically elective abortions.

False, again.

Abortions due to medical reasons is a different situation.  

Weaseling

Junior Participates
13.1.12  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו  replied to  Silent_Hysteria @13.1.1    6 years ago
This serves its purpose.

Which is to perpetuate lies.  Thanks for that admission.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
13.1.13  Trout Giggles  replied to  Silent_Hysteria @13.1.8    6 years ago

I have no idea where you're getting your ideas but elective abortion at 39 weeks is illegal, and check me if I'm wrong, but I think it's illegal in all 50 states.

So when my daughter was born at 38 weeks, did I have an abortion? She was delivered via C-Section. Same with her brother. Pretty sure we didn't call those abortions on their birthdays.

Start thinking logically and leave out the emotion. Every time this subject comes up you or somebody like you brings up this whole elective abortion in the third trimester. You're not swaying the thinking people here. All you're doing is making yourself look foolish and ignorant

Silent_Hysteria
Freshman Silent
13.1.14  Silent_Hysteria  replied to  Trout Giggles @13.1.13    6 years ago

I never said it WAS legal.  I was talking about the argument some people have made that it should be legal at anytime a woman chooses even if it is 39 weeks because it is her choice.  I realize it isn't currently legal but there are some people out there that want to see i legal if someone chooses so

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
13.1.15  Trout Giggles  replied to  Silent_Hysteria @13.1.14    6 years ago

I have never in all my time on the internet heard someone make that argument.

You are better off arguing with what is legal or waiting until someone in the vicinity brings it up. You're creating a straw man and it's not even a very sturdy one. The first crow that lands on it is going to crush it

Silent_Hysteria
Freshman Silent
13.1.16  Silent_Hysteria  replied to  Trout Giggles @13.1.15    6 years ago

Funny.  I hear it all the time.  It's usually framed along the lines of "If I want an abortion for any reason that's between me and my doctor".  

Other than that we would probably agree on other abortion stances 

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
13.1.17  Trout Giggles  replied to  Silent_Hysteria @13.1.16    6 years ago

And if a woman wants an abortion for any reason, she can have one within limits

Silent_Hysteria
Freshman Silent
13.1.18  Silent_Hysteria  replied to  Trout Giggles @13.1.17    6 years ago

And I agree with that.  I'm fine with any abortions up until a certain time.  After that it should never be elective and only medical necessity or malformation etc.  

Gordy327
Professor Guide
13.1.19  Gordy327  replied to  Silent_Hysteria @13.1.14    6 years ago
 I was talking about the argument some people have made that it should be legal at anytime a woman chooses even if it is 39 weeks because it is her choice.

I have yet to hear any such argument.

It's usually framed along the lines of "If I want an abortion for any reason that's between me and my doctor".

Such a statement is true. But that does not equate to saying "I want an abortion at 39 weeks." There are limits as to when abortion is permissible. I doubt that is likely to change to include abortions allowed at 39 weeks.

After that it should never be elective and only medical necessity or malformation etc.

That is how it currently is.

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
13.2  Bob Nelson  replied to  Silent_Hysteria @13    6 years ago

FetalGrowthChart1.jpg

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
13.2.1  Trout Giggles  replied to  Bob Nelson @13.2    6 years ago

According to your chart....I think I have a problem with an abortion at any time after 8 weeks. But that's my problem, not anyone else's.

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
13.2.2  Bob Nelson  replied to  Trout Giggles @13.2.1    6 years ago
I think I have a problem with an abortion at any time after 8 weeks.

Why?

Why eight weeks? Why not seven or nine? Six or ten?

How do you decide?

I'm very interested, because I've never heard any convincing arguments.

A religious / soul argument can be positioned at any moment, but there, too, I've never heard anything convincing - to my knowledge, the "soul" wasn't part of Judaism two thousand years ago, so the Bible doesn't speak of that idea as we know it today.

I have my ideas, but nothing cast in bronze. I'd like to hear something (anything) new.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
13.2.3  Trout Giggles  replied to  Bob Nelson @13.2.2    6 years ago
I'm very interested, because I've never heard any convincing arguments.

I can't give you one, I'm basing it solely on emotion. And this is my problem not anyone else's. I am fully pro-choice and it doesn't matter to me at what point in the pregnancy someone has an abortion

Gordy327
Professor Guide
13.2.4  Gordy327  replied to  Trout Giggles @13.2.3    6 years ago
I'm basing it solely on emotion. And this is my problem not anyone else's.

I've noticed many people tend to base their arguments regarding abortion on emotion. The problem s when certain individuals attempt to use their emotional arguments as an excuse to limit or deny abortion rights.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
13.2.5  Trout Giggles  replied to  Gordy327 @13.2.4    6 years ago

It's hard to get away from emotion when discussing abortion. But emotion does not equal logic. And I won't say that my "feelings" are logical

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
13.2.6  Bob Nelson  replied to  Trout Giggles @13.2.5    6 years ago

IMNAAHO, emotions are fundamental in this conversation. We humans have a very powerful instinct to protect our young. Our brains melt at the sight of a baby... even a baby of an entirely different species...

The anti-abortion folks know that they can play on that instinct. If they can convince us that a ZEF is a "baby", then our protection instinct would take over. OTOH, if most people dodn't consider a ZEF to be a "baby", then our "a-w-w-w-w" reflex doesn't apply.

It's a grave error to ignore that powerful instinct. It must be part of the conversation.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
13.2.7  Trout Giggles  replied to  Bob Nelson @13.2.6    6 years ago

Good point

Gordy327
Professor Guide
13.2.8  Gordy327  replied to  Trout Giggles @13.2.5    6 years ago
It's hard to get away from emotion when discussing abortion. But emotion does not equal logic.

Indeed, which is why many arguments against abortion tend to fall apart: they become irrational or misinformative because of emotion.

And I won't say that my "feelings" are logical

"Feelings" tend to be illogical.

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
13.2.9  Bob Nelson  replied to  Gordy327 @13.2.8    6 years ago

We can recognize the ways that emotions influence us, and take account of them.

Alternatively, we can not recognize them... and be influenced all the same...  anger

Junior Participates
13.3  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו  replied to  Silent_Hysteria @13    6 years ago
 I just couldn't agree with the left extremist that the attatched pic was just a clump of cells.

You're right to not agree with that pic because you've been duped into thinking that what's little rubber/plastic model of a fetus  looks like that at 3 months.  Here are some actual pictures of 13 week fetuses (and don't cry about having to look at these since you opened this up): 

article25422121ACE58D100000578511_634x844.jpg

13weeks.jpg

cumaratauncopilla12saptamaninoahcopilulde12saptamaniuimitoareafotografiecunoahsarcinapierdutaavortspontanla12saptamaniarataumanitateacopiluluinenascut.jpg

Next time you're thinking about trying to pass off some bullshit, keep in mind there are people out here who know things and you'll be busted again. 

arkpdx
Professor Quiet
13.3.1  arkpdx  replied to  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו @13.3    6 years ago

Sure doesn't look like only a clump of cells to me or any other rational person. 

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
13.3.2  Trout Giggles  replied to  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו @13.3    6 years ago

I'm assuming these are photos of miscarried fetuses.

96WS6
Junior Quiet
13.3.3  seeder  96WS6  replied to  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו @13.3    6 years ago

Looks human to me.

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
13.3.4  Bob Nelson  replied to  96WS6 @13.3.3    6 years ago

It also looks like a fetus of any number of other species. Looks prove nothing. That said, even a two-cell blastocyst is genetically "human". A DNA sample would be human.

That doesn't make it a person.

That's a more significant subject: when does a developing human become a person? What are the criteria for personhood? It's not a simple subject.

Junior Participates
13.3.5  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו  replied to  Trout Giggles @13.3.2    6 years ago

I assume so as well.

Junior Participates
13.3.6  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו  replied to  96WS6 @13.3.3    6 years ago
Looks human to me.

What made you think it wasn't?  No one claimed that.  You need to try harder for a comeback.  Much harder. 

Junior Participates
13.3.7  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו  replied to  96WS6 @13.3.3    6 years ago
Looks human to me.

What made you think it wasn't?  No one claimed that.  You need to try harder for a comeback.  Much harder. 

Gordy327
Professor Guide
13.3.8  Gordy327  replied to  Trout Giggles @13.3.2    6 years ago
I'm assuming these are photos of miscarried fetuses.

They look doctored or fake.

Gordy327
Professor Guide
13.3.9  Gordy327  replied to  96WS6 @13.3.3    6 years ago
Looks human to me.

A mannequin looks human too. What's your point?

Junior Participates
13.3.10  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו  replied to  arkpdx @13.3.1    6 years ago
Sure doesn't look like only a clump of cells to me or any other rational person. 

I shouldn't be surprised by the abject ignorance of anti-choice people but it's still just amazes me.  

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
13.3.11  Trout Giggles  replied to  Gordy327 @13.3.8    6 years ago

Erm.....

Mr Giggles told me a story about the night his ex-wife had a miscarriage. He fished the fetus out of the toilet and he swears to me that it looked a teeny, tiny baby. I think she might have been about 12 weeks along.

Junior Participates
13.3.12  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו  replied to  arkpdx @13.3.1    6 years ago

BTW, I guess you could call any living thing of any size or age a "clump of cells."  Is that what you meant? 

arkpdx
Professor Quiet
13.3.13  arkpdx  replied to  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו @13.3.12    6 years ago

You know exactly what I mean .The pro abortion crowd is always going off on how they are only aborting a clump if cells. As u said those pictures show something more than that

Junior Participates
13.3.14  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו  replied to  arkpdx @13.3.13    6 years ago
The pro abortion crowd is always going off on how they are only aborting a clump if cells.

Really?  Prove it.  You and fellow anti-choice zealots are the only ones I've ever seen use it.  But thanks for adding to the BS load on this site. 

MrFrost
Professor Guide
14  MrFrost    6 years ago

8Pc7l3N.jpg

MrFrost
Professor Guide
15  MrFrost    6 years ago

conservativelogic101alivingsoulwhosefuckyoucripple6042763.png

The Magic 8 Ball
Masters Quiet
16  The Magic 8 Ball    6 years ago
 Helped Add ‘Three And A Half Trillion Dollars To Our Economy’

so...  exactly how many babies does one have to kill for 3.5trillion?

and how much would we have gotten for chelsea if she was aborted??

Gordy327
Professor Guide
16.1  Gordy327  replied to  The Magic 8 Ball @16    6 years ago

There are no babies killed in an abortion. 

The Magic 8 Ball
Masters Quiet
16.1.1  The Magic 8 Ball  replied to  Gordy327 @16.1    6 years ago

you can keep telling yourself that over and over again...   it changes nothing.

Gordy327
Professor Guide
16.1.2  Gordy327  replied to  The Magic 8 Ball @16.1.1    6 years ago

I don't need to tell myself anything. It's simple fact. Your denial of it doesn't change that fact. But you can keep telling yourself that its a baby over and over again if it makes you feel better.

The Magic 8 Ball
Masters Quiet
16.1.3  The Magic 8 Ball  replied to  Gordy327 @16.1.2    6 years ago

I will pray for you.

Gordy327
Professor Guide
16.1.4  Gordy327  replied to  The Magic 8 Ball @16.1.3    6 years ago

You don't have to on my account. I neither want or need your prayers, not that silly religious exercises like prayer actually does anything. But if it makes you feel better....

The Magic 8 Ball
Masters Quiet
16.1.5  The Magic 8 Ball  replied to  Gordy327 @16.1.4    6 years ago

I did not ask your permission.

cheers :)

Gordy327
Professor Guide
16.1.6  Gordy327  replied to  The Magic 8 Ball @16.1.5    6 years ago

I didn't say you needed permission. 

The Magic 8 Ball
Masters Quiet
16.1.7  The Magic 8 Ball  replied to  Gordy327 @16.1.6    6 years ago
I didn't say

again,,, what you say or might have said changes nothing. 

Gordy327
Professor Guide
16.1.8  Gordy327  replied to  The Magic 8 Ball @16.1.7    6 years ago

What's to change exactly? Like I said, I've given simple fact. There's nothing to change.

Phoenyx13
Sophomore Silent
16.1.9  Phoenyx13  replied to  The Magic 8 Ball @16.1.1    6 years ago
you can keep telling yourself that over and over again...   it changes nothing.

so at 3 days or 2 weeks in the pregnancy - it's a baby ? please explain this to everyone.

I will pray for you.

now that's ironic considering how many miscarriages happen  chuckle

The Magic 8 Ball
Masters Quiet
16.1.10  The Magic 8 Ball  replied to  Phoenyx13 @16.1.9    6 years ago
so at 3 days or 2 weeks in the pregnancy - it's a baby ? please explain this to everyone.

as far as I am concerned? yes.   no amount of semantics will change that.

now that's ironic considering how many miscarriages happen

only one problem with that argument.... 

we are not talking about miscarriages.

and btw:  people do not schedule miscarriages

do you often completely switch subjects in the middle of a thought?

Gordy327
Professor Guide
16.1.11  Gordy327  replied to  The Magic 8 Ball @16.1.10    6 years ago

You're free to be wrong then.

The Magic 8 Ball
Masters Quiet
16.1.12  The Magic 8 Ball  replied to  Gordy327 @16.1.11    6 years ago
You're free to be wrong

as are you my friend.

Phoenyx13
Sophomore Silent
16.1.13  Phoenyx13  replied to  The Magic 8 Ball @16.1.10    6 years ago

so you disagree with Science - ok. you are certainly entitled to your opinion.

only one problem with that argument.... 

only one problem with your argument - you are referring to abortion as in the ending of a "baby" which of course includes miscarriages since they are same concept. you can't separate the two. no amount of semantics will change that.

and btw:  people do not schedule miscarriages

i don't remember stating they did.... looks like the woman has control over her own body when scheduling the abortion... i prefer having control over my own body and not having the government control it for me or tell me what's best for my own body as if i'm too stupid to know - do you ?

do you often completely switch subjects in the middle of a thought?

i didn't switch subjects, both are the exact same concept - just different methods of producing the same result and no amount of semantics will change that. :)

Gordy327
Professor Guide
16.1.14  Gordy327  replied to  The Magic 8 Ball @16.1.12    6 years ago
as are you my friend.

Except I'm not. And science backs me up on it too!

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
16.1.15  Trout Giggles  replied to  The Magic 8 Ball @16.1.12    6 years ago

How many pregnancies have you suffered thru?

And I assume you believe the individual is more important than the collective. So...who's rights are more important here? The pregnant woman who is an individual and can make decisions or the fetus who is part of the collective considering that the fetus is dependent on the woman carrying it around in her uterus.

Galen Marvin Ross
Sophomore Participates
16.1.16  Galen Marvin Ross  replied to  The Magic 8 Ball @16.1.10    6 years ago

This is really amazing to me. You guys come on here and, say "abortion bad" yet, when it comes to separating families at the border, that's all cool with you.

The Magic 8 Ball
Masters Quiet
16.1.17  The Magic 8 Ball  replied to  Gordy327 @16.1.14    6 years ago

Except I'm not. And science backs me up on it too!

actually... the law backs you up right now, but that can change too.
after trumps 3rd supreme court pick/  game on.
then again... perhaps after the 2nd supreme court pick.... only time will tell.

The Magic 8 Ball
Masters Quiet
16.1.18  The Magic 8 Ball  replied to  Trout Giggles @16.1.15    6 years ago
How many pregnancies have you suffered thru?

too stupid to use birth control = ok to murder?

oral sex is natures birthcontrol..  very cheap and fun as well.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
16.1.19  Trout Giggles  replied to  The Magic 8 Ball @16.1.18    6 years ago

That's what you took out of my question?

Are you one of those that thinks birth control relies solely on the woman and that even if she uses birth control and got pregnant that she should have considered that before she had sex?

Do I need to start my Carrie Nation Temperance Movement again?

Gordy327
Professor Guide
16.1.20  Gordy327  replied to  The Magic 8 Ball @16.1.17    6 years ago

Science backs me up on embryological definitions (an embryo/fetus is not a baby). The law backs me up on the permissibility of abortion. And the law is unlikely to change regardless of who is on the SCOTUS bench. Abortion is recognized as a right and not once in the entire history of the court have rights been revoked once granted. Neither does the law equate or define abortion as murder. So all of your assertions are factually incorrect. 

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
16.1.21  XXJefferson51  replied to  Gordy327 @16.1    6 years ago

Really? Too Much Info We weren’t unborn babies at that stage of our development process?  I say we were just that, a human life.  👶 🍼 

Gordy327
Professor Guide
16.1.22  Gordy327  replied to  XXJefferson51 @16.1.21    6 years ago

Once again, and unsurprisingly,  you're wrong. When we are unborn,  we are not babies. embryo and fetus are just stages of gestation. As for what you say, it's nothing more than opinion and doesn't amount to much in the face of scientific and legal facts!

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
16.1.23  Trout Giggles  replied to  Trout Giggles @16.1.15    6 years ago

Funny....I use words like "collective" and "individual rights" and none of the anti-socialists/commies have a rebuttal. Well except for Magic 8 ball and that's not a rebuttal. His comment doesn't even address mine.

Junior Participates
16.1.24  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו  replied to  The Magic 8 Ball @16.1.18    6 years ago

too stupid to think up anything better than that = rightwing 

Junior Participates
16.1.25  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו  replied to  The Magic 8 Ball @16.1.18    6 years ago

too stupid to think up anything better than that = rightwing "argument"

Junior Participates
16.1.26  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו  replied to  The Magic 8 Ball @16.1.18    6 years ago

Junior Participates
16.1.27  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו  replied to  The Magic 8 Ball @16.1.18    6 years ago

Junior Participates
16.1.28  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו  replied to  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו @16.1.27    6 years ago

I'm having to use a personal hotspot for internet connection as I'm without wi-fi where I've escaped the smoke.  It was so slow over the past half hour that it seemed those posts were not being sent at all ..... thus the quadruplication.   Unintentional but apologies nevertheless. 

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
17  Bob Nelson    6 years ago

It's interesting that you always post unflattering photos of people you disagree with. Kinda childish, no??

Chelsea_ClintonExpedia_05688.jpg1a76d1024x7761.jpg

2tUcF22u_400x4001.jpg

chelseaclintonpowerofwomen20171.jpg

Now you can return to your hatchet-job.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
17.1  Tessylo  replied to  Bob Nelson @17    6 years ago

It's sooooooo mature, NOT.  

Yes Bob - Chelsea is a very attractive woman - inside and out.  

Obviously that is the most unflattering picture they could find and it's photoshopped too I think. 

Some are saying she's an ugly dog inside and out - maybe they should look in a mirror and into their slimy little 'souls'

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
17.1.1  Bob Nelson  replied to  Tessylo @17.1    6 years ago

I have to wonder what goes on in the mind of a person who feels a need to degrade their opponents.

It's... kinda sick... I think...

If they really believed the things they pretend to believe, they would stand up to them cleanly, rather than cheat, as here. It's a method that feels... grimy...

The Magic 8 Ball
Masters Quiet
17.1.2  The Magic 8 Ball  replied to  Bob Nelson @17.1.1    6 years ago
I have to wonder what goes on in the mind of a person who feels a need to degrade their opponents.

why would you wonder about that?  you do it all the time.   if you need your memory refreshed I would be happy to link to your article accusing the right of being nazi brownshirts and  comparing us to the kkk  

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
17.1.3  Bob Nelson  replied to  The Magic 8 Ball @17.1.2    6 years ago

Please do.

KDMichigan
Junior Participates
17.1.4  KDMichigan  replied to  Bob Nelson @17.1.1    6 years ago

LMFAO laughing dude

You do realize who you are responding to right?

Tessylo
Professor Principal
17.1.5  Tessylo  replied to  KDMichigan @17.1.4    6 years ago

goofy yelling crazy

The Magic 8 Ball
Masters Quiet
17.1.6  The Magic 8 Ball  replied to  Bob Nelson @17.1.3    6 years ago
Please do.

my question was rhetorical...

all anyone need do is click on your name to know your post above is complete bs.

I have to wonder how many people fall for crap like that.     (not a question either.)

KDMichigan
Junior Participates
17.1.7  KDMichigan  replied to  Tessylo @17.1.5    6 years ago

And you follow with a post proving my point.

How is that envy treating ya?

Tessylo
Professor Principal
17.1.8  Tessylo  replied to  The Magic 8 Ball @17.1.6    6 years ago

deleted

Tessylo
Professor Principal
17.1.9  Tessylo  replied to  KDMichigan @17.1.7    6 years ago

Envy of what?

Junior Participates
17.2  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו  replied to  Bob Nelson @17    6 years ago

Of course the picture used for this POS article was doctored just as the quotes were cherry-picked and re-arranged in order to create a lie. 

96WS6
Junior Quiet
17.3  seeder  96WS6  replied to  Bob Nelson @17    6 years ago

Let's talk about the photo instead of her crazy statements!    Guess you figured out I would make you look silly for insinuating racism and personal insults (well you really couldn't fully abandon personal insults could you?)so you have reverted to the handbook and are dutifully Deflecting as instructed as the next step.  LMAO!   Once again, you have made yourself appear incapable of debate.  Once again, I invite you to come back when you have something to debate with. 

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
17.3.1  Bob Nelson  replied to  96WS6 @17.3    6 years ago
Let's talk about the photo instead of her crazy statements!

So you have one crazy statement from her.

You make a mountain out of that molehill, while willfully ignoring an entire mountain range of lies from the President and all his minions.

That's kinda sorta hypocritical....

96WS6
Junior Quiet
17.3.2  seeder  96WS6  replied to  Bob Nelson @17.3.1    6 years ago

Way to deflect, insult and stick to the playbook Bob!   Can't you try debating or is this the best you can do on any subject?  You do get credit for not trying to defend her loony statement.  I'll give you that.

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
17.3.3  Bob Nelson  replied to  96WS6 @17.3.2    6 years ago
Can't you try debating...?

On the contrary. I'm underscoring the most significant aspect of this seed: that it is a vapid distraction from serious malfeasance elsewhere.

You mention "deflection". This seed is nothing else.

Your Great Leader is indefensible, and you have no platform to propose ("More tax cuts for the rich!!") so you attack minor players like Chelsea Clinton in hope that no one will notice how pathetic your whole operation is.

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
18  Bob Nelson    6 years ago

Backing off.....  laughing dude

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
19  Thrawn 31    6 years ago

Eh, in a way I am sure it saved us quite a bit. I mean, when you consider a significant number of those abortions went to poorer women, and the fact that they most certainly would have relied on public assistance to raise those kids, it probably did save us a lot. 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
20  Texan1211    6 years ago

Economics according to leading Democrats:

Unemployment benefits are the fastest way to create jobs and if we just have enough abortions, we add trillions to the economy.

If that isn't just freaking hilarious to you, then you simply have no sense of humor!

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
20.1  Bob Nelson  replied to  Texan1211 @20    6 years ago
Unemployment benefits are the fastest way to create jobs and if we just have enough abortions, we add trillions to the economy.

That is a lie.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
20.1.1  Texan1211  replied to  Bob Nelson @20.1    6 years ago

Yes, I believe they are lies too.

I wonder why two leading Democrats voiced those exact thoughts then?

Texan1211
Professor Principal
20.1.2  Texan1211  replied to  Bob Nelson @20.1    6 years ago

Do you still support the people who said these things?

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
20.1.3  Bob Nelson  replied to  Texan1211 @20.1.2    6 years ago

No leading Democrat said either of those things.

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
20.1.4  XXJefferson51  replied to  Bob Nelson @20.1.3    6 years ago

Clinton isn’t a leading democrat?  

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
20.1.5  Bob Nelson  replied to  XXJefferson51 @20.1.4    6 years ago

No leading Democrat said either of those things.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
20.1.6  Texan1211  replied to  Bob Nelson @20.1.5    6 years ago

Chelsea Clinton certainly did. Did you read even the headline of the article?

And Nancy Pelosi certainly did.

TOP 25 QUOTES BY NANCY PELOSI (of 207) | A-Z Quotes
https://www.azquotes.com/author/11483-Nancy_Pelosi

"The long (and surprisingly happy) life of Nancy Pelosi’s ‘pass the bill’ gaffe" by David Weigel, www.washingtonpost.com. March 15, 2017.

unless you think this is all just fake news.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
20.1.7  Texan1211  replied to  Bob Nelson @20.1.3    6 years ago

Why are you steadfastly refusing to admit to what is plainly written before you?

Can you see the article's headline?

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
20.1.8  Bob Nelson  replied to  Texan1211 @20.1.6    6 years ago
Chelsea Clinton certainly did.

Two answers, here...

First, Chlsea Clinton is a private person, in no way a "leading Democrat". As the daughter of prominent politicians, she often has access to the media, but she has absolutely no authority to speak for the Democratic Party.

Second... we have an Administration that produces enormous exaggerations and outright lies every day. It is high intellectual dishonesty to focus a spotlight on a quotation from Chelsea Clinton, while studiously ignoring the crap that flows from genuine "leading Republicans" every day.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
20.1.9  Texan1211  replied to  Bob Nelson @20.1.8    6 years ago

Okay, Chelsea is just a nobody, and I am SURE that is why they had her speak at the event.

Nancy Pelosi, despite your claims to the contrary, actually said what she said, too.

Look, I get it that they were both stupid things to say. Doesn't mean they weren't said by the people who said it.

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
20.1.10  Bob Nelson  replied to  Texan1211 @20.1.9    6 years ago
Chelsea is just a nobody

I did not say that. I said she is not what you termed her, a "leading Democrat". Perhaps we disagree about the definition of "leading". Do you consider Don Trump Jr a "leading Republican"? May we interpret everything he says and does as Republican Party policy?

As for the Pelosi quote... I looked at your site, and noticed this, also attributed to Pelosi: "Sincerity is the most important thing in acting. Once you can fake that, you've got it made". There is no commentary. AZQuotes does not mention the quote from Groucho Marx which is obviously being channeled by Pelosi. We'd need her context to unpack the joke... but it clearly was not meant literally.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
20.1.11  Texan1211  replied to  Bob Nelson @20.1.10    6 years ago

Spin it, baby, spin it!!

Pelosi said it--despite your assertion she never even said it.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
20.1.12  Texan1211  replied to  Bob Nelson @20.1.10    6 years ago

I am a little curious as to how you looked at a quote you claimed didn't exist.

That is a pretty neat trick.

teach it to me?

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
20.1.13  Bob Nelson  replied to  Texan1211 @20.1.12    6 years ago

You're boring.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
20.1.14  Texan1211  replied to  Bob Nelson @20.1.13    6 years ago

I am sure sorry you find the truth boring.

Perhaps that helps to explain some posts I have been reading.

Junior Participates
20.1.15  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו  replied to  Texan1211 @20.1.14    6 years ago
I am sure sorry you find the truth boring.

Removed

Junior Participates
20.1.16  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו  replied to  Texan1211 @20.1.1    6 years ago
I wonder why two leading Democrats voiced those exact thoughts then?

The only one who's voiced those thoughts are you.  

Junior Participates
20.1.17  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו  replied to  XXJefferson51 @20.1.4    6 years ago
Clinton isn’t a leading democrat?

Chelsea Clinton holds no leadership position in the democratic party -- in fact no positon that I'm aware of in the party. She is also not a candidate for any political office.   She's a private citizen who's free to speak her mind whenever, wherever and however she pleases.  

Junior Participates
20.1.18  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו  replied to  Texan1211 @20.1.6    6 years ago
unless you think this is all just fake news.

It's more a mangy ol' dog that never did hunt.

Junior Participates
20.1.19  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו  replied to  Texan1211 @20.1.6    6 years ago

Duplicate removed

Texan1211
Professor Principal
20.1.20  Texan1211  replied to  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו @20.1.16    6 years ago

Straight out lie.

I provided proof of Pelosi's statement. it was picked up by virtually every paper in the country and most television stations, too.

Now, you may deny the truth, but it doesn't change the truth.

Plus, when you deny the fucking obvious, it makes your whole argument about anything suspect.

Junior Participates
20.1.21  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו  replied to  Texan1211 @20.1.12    6 years ago
teach it to me?

Oh, believe me on this one, Tex.  No Value

Texan1211
Professor Principal
20.1.22  Texan1211  replied to  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו @20.1.19    6 years ago

Removed for context

Texan1211
Professor Principal
20.1.23  Texan1211  replied to  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו @20.1.21    6 years ago

Yeah, I'm just a quick study.

I learned how to ignore facts and reality by reading yours and his posts.

Junior Participates
20.1.24  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו  replied to  Texan1211 @20.1.22    6 years ago
removed for context

deleted

Texan1211
Professor Principal
20.1.25  Texan1211  replied to  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו @20.1.24    6 years ago

Deleted

Junior Participates
20.1.26  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו  replied to  Texan1211 @20.1.23    6 years ago
I learned how to ignore facts and reality by reading yours and his posts.

Thank you for that admission to something we've all known all along. 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
20.1.27  Texan1211  replied to  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו @20.1.26    6 years ago

Maybe one day you'll learn that people can learn how to do things and then not actually do them.

Just because you may know how to throw a Nazi salute doesn't make you one.

I learned it from posts like yours. Doesn't mean I employ those sad little tactics.

Smh

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
20.2  XXJefferson51  replied to  Texan1211 @20    6 years ago

Don’t forget that welfare and food stamps are such great stimulus for the economy too.  LOLlaughing dudeGiggle

Junior Participates
20.2.1  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו  replied to  XXJefferson51 @20.2    6 years ago
Don’t forget that welfare and food stamps are such great stimulus for the economy too.

Why do you think farmers and grocery stores lobby so hard for the SNAP program?  How could anyone not know this?  

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
20.2.2  Thrawn 31  replied to  XXJefferson51 @20.2    6 years ago

Nah, they just help people not starve. Pretty sure jesus had something to say about feeding the hungry yes? 

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
20.2.3  Thrawn 31  replied to  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו @20.2.1    6 years ago

See, government assistance that actually, you know, feeds people is bad, but government assistance to farmers because they are suffering from a pointless trade war is totally legit.

Junior Participates
20.2.4  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו  replied to  Thrawn 31 @20.2.2    6 years ago
Pretty sure jesus had something to say about feeding the hungry yes? 

Oh, but that was just a metaphor for.........something else?

user image
Freshman Silent
20.2.5    replied to  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו @20.2.4    6 years ago
Pretty sure jesus had something to say about feeding the hungry yes? 
Oh, but that was just a metaphor for.........something else?

E.A  was that a follow on with the " Let him that does NOT work neither eat "?

And putting the Two together what did he say about " custing the Fishing nets "?

Junior Participates
20.2.6  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו  replied to  @20.2.5    6 years ago
E.A  was that a follow on with the " Let him that does NOT work neither eat "?

Except that Jesus never said that, at least according to your gospels.  It comes from the Asshole, er, excuse me Apostle Paul who busied most of his life corrupting the teachings of Jesus--at least, again, according to your gospels.  But I'm never surprised any more about how little Christians really seem to know about whome they consider the founder of their religion.

Junior Participates
20.3  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו  replied to  Texan1211 @20    6 years ago

Is that what you're trying to pass off as what "two leading democrats agreed" with when that's your bullshit your trying to fling at them.  Why do you think you can keep getting away with this crap? 

Junior Participates
22  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו    6 years ago

I see the author of this POS has refused to give links to the original, full and unedited statements of Ms. Clinton so that makes this entire article officially false.  

96WS6
Junior Quiet
22.1  seeder  96WS6  replied to  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו @22    6 years ago

Talk about willful ignorance.....Here is the full video of her statement. If you would have clicked the seed link you wold have found it there but I know that is probably too difficult for you and too presumptuous of me.   ENJOY!

Tessylo
Professor Principal
22.1.1  Tessylo  replied to  96WS6 @22.1    6 years ago

You just have that statement.  Not what was said before or after. 

So cherry picking.  

That was 1 minute and 2 seconds.  13 seconds less than your last offering.

Cherry picking.  

Junior Participates
22.1.2  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו  replied to  96WS6 @22.1    6 years ago
If you would have clicked the seed link you wold have found it there but I know that is probably too difficult for you and too presumptuous of me.

It may seem odd but I never knew that was a link.  Of course you could have informed me of that the first time I asked for the link but I guess you need every trick to make yourself feel smart.   But, I am glad that it confirms that she never used the term abortion and was clearly talking about all reproductive rights.  The use of contraception both prevented more abortions that Roe permitted since it's passage.  And as Tessy pointed out your source, a rapidly extreme religious cult element of the rightwing disinformation pukefunnel it should be noted, carefully made sure that was all we were going to be allowed to hear--so the very definition of cherry-picking.  Furthermore, your POS source didn't even have the honesty, and certainly never courage,  to provide even a clue where and when and in what venue these remarks were made so that anyone might find the entire comment she made.  Nothing like cowardly dishonesty to show what scumbags they are.  Now I begin to see why you only fessed up on my second request.  

96WS6
Junior Quiet
22.1.3  seeder  96WS6  replied to  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו @22.1.2    6 years ago

I "tricked" you by not putting in the article that if you click the SEED link you get the video?  You are easily "tricked"  LMFAO!   Try to remember this next time you don't even bother to click the link and go to the actual article.

Junior Participates
22.1.4  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו  replied to  96WS6 @22.1.3    6 years ago
I "tricked" you by not putting in the article that if you click the SEED link you get the video? 

You didn't trick anyone--except maybe yourself.  I finally located the full video of Clinton's remarks which went on for nearly 30 minutes covering a wide range of topics and never once did she single out abortion as single it out as the source for all of the economic activity of women since 1973.  In fact, the biggest factor by far contributing to that was the availability of contraception (which prevents abortion by preventing unwanted pregnancies and which anti-choice people should vigorously support if they really wanted to prevent abortion which they really do not since it's such a good way to rile up the fundamentalist rabble).  In further fact, the prelude to Roe was in fact a preceding Texas case involving access to contraception:

So, the upshot of this is that your article is a cherry-picked, dishonest gutter-level attack job.  

96WS6
Junior Quiet
22.1.5  seeder  96WS6  replied to  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו @22.1.4    6 years ago

No one claimed she singled it out.  Are you going to try and argue she didn't say what she meant now?

Junior Participates
22.1.6  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו  replied to  96WS6 @22.1.5    6 years ago
No one claimed she singled it out.  Are you going to try and argue she didn't say what she meant now?

Oh, but someone did exactly that.   Here's your first paragraph of your  OP:

Abortion has been an important economic stimulus ever since it was legalized by the 1973 Roe v. Wade Supreme Court decision, Chelsea Clinton claimed at a "Rise Up for Roe" event on Saturday.

Are you now ready to retract your false claim?  She never once used the term "abortion" in the 30+ minutes of her appearance at the event.  And here's what that Supreme Lying POS, Franklin Graham, ran with:

Franklin Graham Blasts Chelsea Clinton's Claim 60 Million Abortions Added $3.5 Trillion to Economy

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
22.1.7  Bob Nelson  replied to  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו @22.1.6    6 years ago

So...

There's nothing left.

The "quotation" is false, to go along with the hatchet-job photo.

Class act!     Not Impressed

Junior Participates
22.1.8  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו  replied to  Bob Nelson @22.1.7    6 years ago
Class act! 

Yeah, a lotta class---and it's all low. 

Junior Participates
23  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו    6 years ago

Oh and here's the provenance of that bullshit photograph at #13 above and it's just what we'd expect:

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
23.1  XXJefferson51  replied to  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו @23    6 years ago

Snopes?  LOLliarcrazyGiggle

Junior Participates
23.1.1  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו  replied to  XXJefferson51 @23.1    6 years ago

Yeah, Facts.  Try 'em sometime. 

Dismayed Patriot
Professor Quiet
23.1.2  Dismayed Patriot  replied to  XXJefferson51 @23.1    6 years ago
Snopes?

When you can't refute the message, attack the messenger eh? Smart, since you can't win on actual facts.

Junior Participates
24  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו    6 years ago

Ah, I've traced the source of Sean Tracey's absurd attempts to apply the concept of money's fungibility to the abortion and PP issue--and, of course it was born out of just the kind of rightwing, anti-choice republican idiocy* that you'd expect.  

Here's a beautifully written smackdown of the stupidity of that argument:

Republicans Say “Money Is Fungible” When It Comes to Planned Parenthood. It Is Not.

Here's the nutshell:

Imagine you are in line at the grocery store. The customer in front of you buys a can of beans with a SNAP card. You buy a bottle of wine and pay with cash. Then the next person in line angrily accuses you of wasting taxpayer money by buying alcohol with food stamps.

You'd probably be confused. The argument against you is that because the grocery store accepts food stamps from some customers, and because  money is fungible , then you, by osmosis, have paid for your wine with food stamps.

* namely, the moral and mental midgets like Ted Cruz and James Sensenbrenner.