╌>

How do you take your eggs?

Category:  Wine & Food

By:  gordy327  •  6 years ago  •  180 comments

The incredible, edible egg

The egg is a simple, yet delicious, nutritious, and versatile food. It's good for anything from deviled egg appetizers to simply fired eggs for breakfast, to quiches and sandwiches, and of course as a main ingredient in many baked goods. There are many ways to cook and/or utilize eggs in cooking. So what are some of your egg preferences?  Sharing egg recipes is encouraged.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Gordy327
Professor Expert
1  author  Gordy327    6 years ago

For breakfast, I like a soft boiled egg if I'm in the mood for something simple. Other times, I like to sauté onions, green peppers, and maybe a tomato sprinkled with ground pepper and mix it with my eggs. Sometimes I try to make an omelette out of it, but it usually turns into scrambled eggs by the time I am done. My omelette flipping skills is abysmal. A homemade bacon, egg, and cheese on a bagel or roll is a hearty and savory breakfast dish, even if it's a calorie bomb. 

Skrekk
Sophomore Participates
1.1  Skrekk  replied to  Gordy327 @1    6 years ago

I just like the fact that we mammals are eating dinosaur eggs.

Gordy327
Professor Expert
1.1.1  author  Gordy327  replied to  Skrekk @1.1    6 years ago
I just like the fact that we mammals are eating dinosaur eggs

A dinosaur egg must make quite a large omelette.

Galen Marvin Ross
Sophomore Participates
1.1.2  Galen Marvin Ross  replied to  Gordy327 @1.1.1    6 years ago
A dinosaur egg must make quite a large omelette.

I guess you could ask Wilma, Betty or, even Tarzan's Jane about that, they all come closest to using dinosaur eggs.

JenSiNner
Freshman Silent
1.1.3  JenSiNner  replied to  Gordy327 @1.1.1    6 years ago

If you're dining on Ostrich, I think that would be enough for two.

Gordy327
Professor Expert
1.1.4  author  Gordy327  replied to  JenSiNner @1.1.3    6 years ago

I never tried ostrich. But I would be open to the experience. 

devangelical
Professor Principal
1.1.5  devangelical  replied to  Gordy327 @1.1.4    6 years ago

you'd take your life in your hands trying to collect an ostrich egg, those fuckers are aggressive.

Galen Marvin Ross
Sophomore Participates
1.1.6  Galen Marvin Ross  replied to  devangelical @1.1.5    6 years ago

Yep,

Gordy327
Professor Expert
1.1.7  author  Gordy327  replied to  devangelical @1.1.5    6 years ago

I guess I'm stuck with chicken eggs. I wonder if turkey eggs are any good?

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
1.1.8  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  Gordy327 @1.1.4    6 years ago

I highly recommend you try ostrich just once.  It has a great flavor to it.

Gordy327
Professor Expert
1.1.9  author  Gordy327  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @1.1.8    6 years ago

If I can find one, I'll try it. I'm game to try anything once.

devangelical
Professor Principal
1.2  devangelical  replied to  Gordy327 @1    6 years ago

3 scrambled together with a big dollop of sour cream and a tablespoon of water. I'm allergic to eggs and by themselves they make me nauseous, but I still eat them. If I have them over easy, it's with biscuits, country gravy, and bacon.

My favorite restaurant for breakfast was called the Aristocrat in Boulder Colorado, now closed. The kitchen was diner style on the other side of the counter in the dining room. It was staffed by hungover and sleep deprived college students that yelled profanities at each other during breakfast service when they were running behind. The portions were very generous and the floor staff weren't hard to look at. You waited in a long line to get in on the weekends.

MrFrost
Professor Expert
2  MrFrost    6 years ago

Over medium or blended.

If I throw them in the blender, I add a shot of heavy cream... Makes them fluffy and moist. Sometimes i'll add some chives. 

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
2.1  Trout Giggles  replied to  MrFrost @2    6 years ago

That sounds delicious! And that would be a great way to make them when I make English Scramble.

English Scramble is really just scrambled eggs over toasted English muffins with a cheese sauce. I like to saute shrooms in butter then add the egg mixture after the shrooms are sauteed to a nice golden brown.

I make my own cheese sauce, too.

Galen Marvin Ross
Sophomore Participates
2.1.1  Galen Marvin Ross  replied to  Trout Giggles @2.1    6 years ago

I think I've mentioned this breakfast before and, that is why I was reluctant to bring it up but, in Colorado there's a restaurant that is open for breakfast and, lunch and, serves something they call the "Grump", it's a bed of hash brown's with your choice of meat mixed in, I prefer sausage, on top of the hash browns you have your eggs, made the way you want, up to three of them, on top of that you have your choice of either sausage gravy or, green chili and, on top of that you have cheese. It comes in three sizes, full Grump, half Grump or, quarter Grump. When I got this the first time I didn't know how big the full Grump was and, I ordered it, I had it for breakfast, lunch and, dinner that day, it was that much.

Here's the menu,

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
2.1.2  sandy-2021492  replied to  Galen Marvin Ross @2.1.1    6 years ago

That sounds delicious.

Galen Marvin Ross
Sophomore Participates
2.1.3  Galen Marvin Ross  replied to  sandy-2021492 @2.1.2    6 years ago
That sounds delicious.

It is crazy good.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
3  JohnRussell    6 years ago
 Other times, I like to sauté onions, green peppers, and maybe a tomato sprinkled with ground pepper and mix it with my eggs.

I like that. Done something very similar many times. I would include potato chunks. 

I like old fashioned ham and eggs (over easy) with a piece of Texas Toast. 

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
4  Buzz of the Orient    6 years ago

I usually eat two to three eggs a day, and I prepare them in many ways.  This morning they were fried sunny side up.  I make cheese omelettes (I'm okay with flipping them), eggs and onions (a real deli dish), scrambled, soft-boiled (6-minute), egg salad sandwiches, a fried over easy egg between buttered toast with mayo and a slice of cheese (sort of like a McDonald's egg mcmuffin). I also make simple French Toast (recipe is on the "6 Ingredients" group), and sometimes just eat a hard-boiled egg as a snack.  I put about 6 or 7 boiled bird's eggs in my oatmeal, and use only one or two eggs when I make banana-blueberry pancakes depending on how many pancakes (recipe also on "6 Ingredients").  I make tuna fish sandwiches with tuna mixed with eggs....nothing fancy like eggs Benedict and I don't have the implement to poach eggs, but would do poached eggs on toast if I had it. 

Actually, I really love eggs. We get duck eggs and big goose eggs now and then.

zuksam
Junior Silent
4.1  zuksam  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @4    6 years ago
I don't have the implement to poach eggs,

I always poach eggs in boiling water, 1" of boiling water in a frying pan (just barely boiling). The only trick is the eggs will sink when you first drop them in so after about 20-30 seconds (I drop three eggs then grab the spatula) you need to slide your spatula under them to get them floating, then just keep moving them around and swirling the water to keep the heat even.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
4.1.1  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  zuksam @4.1    6 years ago

Thanks, zuksam. I'll try that.

Studiusbagus
Sophomore Quiet
4.1.2  Studiusbagus  replied to  zuksam @4.1    6 years ago

You can spray the pan first before you add water.

zuksam
Junior Silent
6  zuksam    6 years ago

Fried on a ham, egg, and cheese sandwich. Over easy with bacon, home fries, and toast. Scrambled if I have leftover Ham to throw in. My favorite is Poached Eggs on Toast (with soft yokes). My mom used to put the poached eggs on the toast and then I'd have to chop them up and spread them around before cutting the toast into bite sized pieces but I just put the poached eggs into a bowl and chop them up then pour them on the toast. It's easier to get an even mix of yoke and white this way plus it's faster which is important since both the toast and eggs cool quickly so the faster you can get it in your mouth the better. I also like omelette's but I can't make them either, I always screw them up. I never make hard boiled eggs because I only like the whites so I feel wasteful throwing the yoke out, I used to have a dog that liked them but now I only have a cat and he won't touch them.

Galen Marvin Ross
Sophomore Participates
7  Galen Marvin Ross    6 years ago

Easy fix on eggs, "Gashouse eggs", two slices of bread, put a whole in the center of the bread, butter the bread, put the bread in the skillet and, put the egg in the center of the hole, put butter on the up side of the bread and, flip when the whites are half done, cook until the other side is toasty and, serve.

Galen Marvin Ross
Sophomore Participates
7.1  Galen Marvin Ross  replied to  Galen Marvin Ross @7    6 years ago

These are also known by another name, "Eggy's in a basket",

Gordy327
Professor Expert
7.2  author  Gordy327  replied to  Galen Marvin Ross @7    6 years ago
Easy fix on eggs, "Gashouse eggs", two slices of bread, put a whole in the center of the bread, butter the bread, put the bread in the skillet and, put the egg in the center of the hole, put butter on the up side of the bread and, flip when the whites are half done, cook until the other side is toasty and, serve.

I like that way of serving eggs too. Although, I might use olive oil instead of butter.

Galen Marvin Ross
Sophomore Participates
7.2.1  Galen Marvin Ross  replied to  Gordy327 @7.2    6 years ago

I never tried that, I like the butter because of the way it browns the bread and, doesn't let the eggs get too hard, I like a soft yolk.

Gordy327
Professor Expert
7.2.2  author  Gordy327  replied to  Galen Marvin Ross @7.2.1    6 years ago

Butter is always good for frying. But olive oil is a healthier alternative. A light coating of olive oil in a pan is enough. But then, theres something about frying something, drowning in butter. A heart attack never tasted so good, lol

Galen Marvin Ross
Sophomore Participates
7.2.3  Galen Marvin Ross  replied to  Gordy327 @7.2.2    6 years ago
Butter is always good for frying. But olive oil is a healthier alternative. A light coating of olive oil in a pan is enough. But then, theres something about frying something, drowning in butter. A heart attack never tasted so good, lol

Eggsactly, who wants a healthy breakfast give me fried eggs, bacon, hash browns, toast all that good fatty goodness, pancakes smothered in butter and, maple syrup. I feel my artery's hardening already. 

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
7.2.4  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Galen Marvin Ross @7.2.3    6 years ago

Take it easy, Galen, we don't want to lose you.

zuksam
Junior Silent
7.2.5  zuksam  replied to  Galen Marvin Ross @7.2.3    6 years ago
who wants a healthy breakfast

If your frying bacon why use butter when you can fry your eggs in Bacon Fat.

Galen Marvin Ross
Sophomore Participates
7.2.6  Galen Marvin Ross  replied to  zuksam @7.2.5    6 years ago

For the toast and, the pancakes of course. Now, if you have a skillet like mine you fry your bacon and, then you have to wash the skillet because, the bacon stuck a little, so you don't break the yolks on your eggs when you put them in the skillet then you put the bacon grease back in the skillet...…...I need a new skillet.

epistte
Junior Guide
7.2.7  epistte  replied to  zuksam @7.2.5    6 years ago
If your frying bacon why use butter when you can fry your eggs in Bacon Fat.

Growing up the residual bacon fat was always saved in a mason jar for frying potatoes or other foods. My arteries clog at the thought of the amount of fat that I ate as a child. 

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
7.2.8  sandy-2021492  replied to  epistte @7.2.7    6 years ago

I still save some.

epistte
Junior Guide
7.2.9  epistte  replied to  sandy-2021492 @7.2.8    6 years ago
I still save some.

About half of the family recipes from my Mom's side start with "render bacon, fry onions in rendered bacon fat."

The food is good but you feel like you ate a brick for about 3 hours afterward. 

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
7.2.10  sandy-2021492  replied to  epistte @7.2.9    6 years ago

I don't fry in bacon grease often, but my grandma sure did.  Mom used to, until Dad's cholesterol started creeping up.

epistte
Junior Guide
7.2.11  epistte  replied to  sandy-2021492 @7.2.10    6 years ago
I don't fry in bacon grease often, but my grandma sure did.  Mom used to, until Dad's cholesterol started creeping up.

My dad set a new record for cholesterol when he was in the hospital because had cancer. It was actually above 500. The strange thing is there is no record of heart disease or diabetes in the family.

Freefaller
Professor Quiet
7.2.12  Freefaller  replied to  epistte @7.2.7    6 years ago
Growing up the residual bacon fat was always saved in a mason jar for frying potatoes or other foods

Bad for you, but sooooo yummy.

Gordy327
Professor Expert
7.2.13  author  Gordy327  replied to  Galen Marvin Ross @7.2.3    6 years ago

It's delightful breakfasty decadence. 

Galen Marvin Ross
Sophomore Participates
7.2.14  Galen Marvin Ross  replied to  Gordy327 @7.2.13    6 years ago

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
7.2.15  sandy-2021492  replied to  Galen Marvin Ross @7.2.14    6 years ago

Frying bacon in Speedos seems a bit...unwise.

Galen Marvin Ross
Sophomore Participates
7.2.16  Galen Marvin Ross  replied to  sandy-2021492 @7.2.15    6 years ago

Well, the Simpson's weren't known for being too smart.

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
7.2.17  sandy-2021492  replied to  Galen Marvin Ross @7.2.16    6 years ago

True.

Except for Lisa, of course.

Galen Marvin Ross
Sophomore Participates
7.2.18  Galen Marvin Ross  replied to  sandy-2021492 @7.2.17    6 years ago
Except for Lisa, of course.

Welll, that is open for debate, I mean Lisa does go out in the middle of the night with some strange guy to play her sax on a bridge.

Gordy327
Professor Expert
7.2.19  author  Gordy327  replied to  Galen Marvin Ross @7.2.18    6 years ago

Giggity

Studiusbagus
Sophomore Quiet
7.2.20  Studiusbagus  replied to  zuksam @7.2.5    6 years ago

Bacon fat is the ultimate grease for french toast.

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
7.3  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  Galen Marvin Ross @7    6 years ago

I prepare an egg the same way, but it is referred to a one eyed sandwich  here.  Once I flip the egg to finish cooking, I add a little shredded cheese and sometimes lay a slice of cooked bacon across the yolk.

epistte
Junior Guide
7.3.1  epistte  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @7.3    6 years ago
one eyed sandwich

My ex' loved those. I had never heard of such a thing until we were married and I was making breakfast.

Studiusbagus
Sophomore Quiet
9  Studiusbagus    6 years ago

My eggs are according to my mood for eggs. Most common is a plain old Bacon, Eggs, and Homefries well done with onion and two slices of buttered toast.

This morning was no different except for the onions and biscuits instead of toast.

I make really good omelettes and casseroles.

There is no shortage of eggs at this house. When I retired we tried several things to fill in the time. Maria hit and we started working on each others' homes and such. My neighbor put their chickens in the garage but lost their small coop/run cage. I built a new coop/run cage for them at 3 times the original size...after we were all fixed I started getting requests for cages. I thought I was done when I get home and my wife just thinks it would be ducky if we had chickens...we collect a dozen a day on average.

I built a second cage for my experiments....bwaaaahhaahhaahhaaaaa....I'm breeding Brahma Chickens

Gordy327
Professor Expert
9.1  author  Gordy327  replied to  Studiusbagus @9    6 years ago
Most common is a plain old Bacon, Eggs, and Homefries well done with onion and two slices of buttered toast.

Sometimes, you can't beat the classics.

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
9.2  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  Studiusbagus @9    6 years ago

They are gorgeous birds.  I had plans to raise Frizzles and polish, but after I contracted avian pneumonia from my parakeets, I can't ever have birds of any kind.

Studiusbagus
Sophomore Quiet
9.2.1  Studiusbagus  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @9.2    6 years ago

I kind of have a Noah's Arc. 

My rooster is a buff polish and I have 2 each of rhode island, dominiques, Australorpes, wyandotts, and amerucaunas. 

I wanted especially to breed the polish with the amerucaunas for the headress and mustache. 

In the other pen are 2 Jersey Giants and the brahmas with a brahma rooster the largest and 2nd largest chickins in the world.

I'm going to breed my own army of giant chickens and take over bwaaaaahahaha!

My hens are just now 6 months old and the size of a full grown goose.

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
9.2.2  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  Studiusbagus @9.2.1    6 years ago

I would kill to tour your Arc.  Most people don't realize just how gorgeous some breeds of chickens really are.  

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
10  sandy-2021492    6 years ago

Scrambled in butter, maybe with some cheese melted on top.  Hard-boiled.  Fried, over hard (I hate runny yolks).  In a sandwich with some cheese.  Omelet, stuffed with whatever I have in the fridge that seems like it would make a good omelet.  Deviled.

dave-2693993
Junior Quiet
11  dave-2693993    6 years ago

Easy and I do mean 3 eggs easy over laid on  top of:

3 pieces of plain white toast,

Covered with a thick layer of creamed chipped beef,

With a heavy layer of black pepper on the CCB.

Then over the eggs and the rest of the exposed CCB drown in tabasco.

Cup of fresh black coffee or maybe 2, or 3...

Then of course good deviled eggs and also pickled spicy eggs for snacks.

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
11.1  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  dave-2693993 @11    6 years ago

My grandmother used to make me eggs/chipped beef when I was little.  No pepper though because my sister convinced me that if I saw pepper on my food, someone had sprinkled dirt on it.  I would watch grown ups put it on their food and thought that they just didn't mind eating dirt.  I am now a confirmed pepper lover.  I make a great SOS and lots of pepper is a given.

dave-2693993
Junior Quiet
11.1.1  dave-2693993  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @11.1    6 years ago

The taste of black pepper is delicious.

At a restaurant I remove the cap from the shaker to pour it on my food. Same with cayenne. The pepper becomes a blanket over the food.

Have you tried white pepper? The heat is also low like black pepper but the flavour is wonderfully pungent. 

Some time ago I read it is better when experiencing body pain when compared to black pepper.

They are both delicious but the white pepper is kind of expensive.

Goes very good on the SOS or creamed chipped beef with eggs and toast.

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
11.1.2  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  dave-2693993 @11.1.1    6 years ago

I have tried white pepper but prefer black.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
12  TᵢG    6 years ago

Over easy and lightly salted.   Best with turkey bacon, English muffin and grits.

Sometimes I prefer a mushroom & spinach omelet.   No cheese.

GregTx
PhD Guide
13  GregTx    6 years ago

Over easy, with firm whites and runny yolks. Cheese grits, crispy bacon and heavily buttered toast. Or scrambled with sausage gravy and biscuits.

MrFrost
Professor Expert
13.1  MrFrost  replied to  GregTx @13    6 years ago
Over easy, with firm whites and runny yolks.

Just the way I like them. Runny whites...yuk...like eating snot. 

kpr37
Professor Silent
14  kpr37    6 years ago

At home, over easy, or scrambled. At a restaurant in an omelet.

Colour Me Free
Senior Quiet
15  Colour Me Free    6 years ago

Eggs are a secret at my house .. my (not so) lil man, when he was lil hated eggs .. but loved French toast .. caught me using eggs to make the toast and the world about started spinning out of control..

He is now 18 and still does not want to know what I am putting eggs in : )

Myself, I am an omelet maker .. a taco omelet is one of my favorites .. requires seasoned meat, cheese and tomato (onion, peppers, beans etc if one wants to) .. then I eat my omelet like a half sandwich .. on toast mainly..  Omelets are a great way to use up leftover meats .. pork chops, roast beef .. be creative! 

Okay, so now I am hungry - there is an omelet waiting to be made...

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
15.1  sandy-2021492  replied to  Colour Me Free @15    6 years ago
my (not so) lil man, when he was lil hated eggs .. but loved French toast .. caught me using eggs to make the toast and the world about started spinning out of control..

My son was sure as a toddler that he hated potatoes.  But he loved French fries.  So we had to order "French fries made without potatoes" with a wink to the bewildered server when we ate out.  He got over that, though.  He recently discovered that he does like mashed potatoes, after all, and when I make them, I have to get some first, if I want any at all.

Colour Me Free
Senior Quiet
15.1.1  Colour Me Free  replied to  sandy-2021492 @15.1    6 years ago

Ooo to funny .. thank you for the smile and giggle ..  mashed tatos are yummy, he is developing good taste  : )

If anyone is wondering, my omelet was delish - decided on bacon tomato cucumber lightly cheesed omelet on sour dough...

Gordy327
Professor Expert
15.1.2  author  Gordy327  replied to  sandy-2021492 @15.1    6 years ago

Try a fried egg on top of mashed potatoes. a runny yolk enhances the flavor.

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
15.1.3  sandy-2021492  replied to  Gordy327 @15.1.2    6 years ago

Runny yolks are a taste I haven't acquired.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
15.1.4  JohnRussell  replied to  sandy-2021492 @15.1.3    6 years ago
Runny yolks are a taste I haven't acquired.

You sop it up with toast. Yummy. 

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
15.1.5  sandy-2021492  replied to  JohnRussell @15.1.4    6 years ago

In theory, I understand the appeal, but in practice, ugh.

Gordy327
Professor Expert
15.1.6  author  Gordy327  replied to  sandy-2021492 @15.1.3    6 years ago

I like a runny yolk. Tasty. The yolk, when mixed with whatever the egg is served with, might make it more palatable for you.

Gordy327
Professor Expert
15.1.7  author  Gordy327  replied to  JohnRussell @15.1.4    6 years ago

Or just lick it off the plate, table manners be damned! :)

Gordy327
Professor Expert
15.2  author  Gordy327  replied to  Colour Me Free @15    6 years ago

Taco omelette sounds good. I think I'm getting a craving now. :p

Colour Me Free
Senior Quiet
15.2.1  Colour Me Free  replied to  Gordy327 @15.2    6 years ago

Ya gotta try it .. when I make tacos .. I save out meat just for my omelets .. I went to the freezer .. alas, I am out       : (……………

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
15.2.2  sandy-2021492  replied to  Colour Me Free @15.2.1    6 years ago

Next time I make tacos, I'm trying this.  But taco meat is like mashed potatoes - if I want any to be left over for omelets, I'll have to hide it well from my son.

Gordy327
Professor Expert
15.2.3  author  Gordy327  replied to  Colour Me Free @15.2.1    6 years ago
Ya gotta try it .. when I make tacos

Do you try eggs in a taco shell? I sometimes use a soft shell and make a breakfast egg burrito.

epistte
Junior Guide
15.2.4  epistte  replied to  Gordy327 @15.2.3    6 years ago

That sounds really good. 

Gordy327
Professor Expert
15.2.5  author  Gordy327  replied to  epistte @15.2.4    6 years ago
That sounds really good

it is. Add in some ham or steak, topped with cheddar cheese, and it becomes quite hearty.

Colour Me Free
Senior Quiet
15.2.6  Colour Me Free  replied to  Gordy327 @15.2.3    6 years ago

Yes, I make what I call a campfire breakfast burrito ..  bacon, onions, cubed potatoes, ham, sausage (what ever meats one wants to add, season to flavor) .. cook those ingredients up over the fire - then add the eggs .. lightly scramble .. add cheese (if desired) then bring on the flour tortillas .. or corn..             (freedom of choice is a beautiful thing : )

Gordy327
Professor Expert
15.2.7  author  Gordy327  replied to  Colour Me Free @15.2.6    6 years ago

I know what I'm making for breakfast now  :P

Colour Me Free
Senior Quiet
15.2.8  Colour Me Free  replied to  Gordy327 @15.2.7    6 years ago

I miss making it .. tell me how you like it : )

Colour Me Free
Senior Quiet
15.2.9  Colour Me Free  replied to  Gordy327 @15.2.7    6 years ago

OOOOOoooooooo I forgot to add the salsa .. I have added some to the ingredients mix before adding eggs .. but most individuals like the salsa on the side to add as desired...

Gordy327
Professor Expert
15.2.10  author  Gordy327  replied to  Colour Me Free @15.2.8    6 years ago
tell me how you like it

Whoa, hey now... blushing

Colour Me Free
Senior Quiet
15.2.11  Colour Me Free  replied to  Gordy327 @15.2.10    6 years ago

HA!  : ) …

Food can be an erotic desire .. : )

Gordy327
Professor Expert
15.2.12  author  Gordy327  replied to  Colour Me Free @15.2.11    6 years ago
Food can be an erotic desire .

Some foods can be aphrodisiacs too. winking

Colour Me Free
Senior Quiet
15.2.13  Colour Me Free  replied to  Gordy327 @15.2.12    6 years ago

Hehe .. so very true...  best to leave those secrets hidden : )

Gordy327
Professor Expert
15.2.14  author  Gordy327  replied to  Colour Me Free @15.2.13    6 years ago
best to leave those secrets hidden

Unless you're with that special somebody.

Colour Me Free
Senior Quiet
15.2.15  Colour Me Free  replied to  Gordy327 @15.2.14    6 years ago

Fair enough .. whatever that is .. I am a member of 'The Church of the Never Married' that happens to be a good cook : ) ……………. the special of the day is ……………..

LOL...

MrFrost
Professor Expert
16  MrFrost    6 years ago

Here is one to try...

Take a cupcake pan, grease/oil/butter the pan. 

Heat the oven to 350.

Take some bread and break it into small pieces, (1/4" or so) and put a couple pieces into each cup of the pan.

Add cheese, onions, ham, chives, etc.. whatever you want. 

Blend a few eggs and pour them in the cups until just about full. 

Bake at 350 for ~10 mins or until the eggs are cooked. 

This works best if the bread is dry, so it breaks easier and doesn't turn into goo. 

I am not much of a cook, but this one is so easy even I can't muck it up. 

Galen Marvin Ross
Sophomore Participates
17  Galen Marvin Ross    6 years ago

I haven't fixed it since my wife died but, Eggs Benedict was her favorite.

JenSiNner
Freshman Silent
17.1  JenSiNner  replied to  Galen Marvin Ross @17    6 years ago

One of my personal favorites!

Gordy327
Professor Expert
18  author  Gordy327    6 years ago

I'm tempted to experiment and make an egg and sausage (or bacon) pizza. Try 1 or 2 hot dogs, sliced in half lengthwise, on buttered toast, and topped with a fried egg in a breakfast sandwich.

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
18.1  sandy-2021492  replied to  Gordy327 @18    6 years ago

Pizza sounds good, but I'd be worried the eggs would overcook before the rest is done.

Gordy327
Professor Expert
18.1.1  author  Gordy327  replied to  sandy-2021492 @18.1    6 years ago

The eggs would probably need to be added towards the end of the cooking time. Or perhaps fried separately and added after. I'm not sure. Hense, it's experimental. The bacon or sausage should be lightly cooked beforehand and added as a topping where it can finish cooking through so it's not underdone. Sautéed onions would also be a good topping too.

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
18.1.2  sandy-2021492  replied to  Gordy327 @18.1.1    6 years ago

This is sounding good.  I'm thinking it also needs mushrooms.

Gordy327
Professor Expert
18.1.3  author  Gordy327  replied to  sandy-2021492 @18.1.2    6 years ago

Sautéed portabella slices, perhaps with the onion. Mmmm, egg pizza [Homer Simpson drool here].

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
18.1.4  sandy-2021492  replied to  Gordy327 @18.1.3    6 years ago

Sauteed in butter, of course.

Gordy327
Professor Expert
18.1.5  author  Gordy327  replied to  sandy-2021492 @18.1.4    6 years ago

Of course.

Dismayed Patriot
Professor Quiet
18.1.6  Dismayed Patriot  replied to  Gordy327 @18.1.1    6 years ago

I've had left over pizza re-toasted in a toaster oven, cut up into bite sized pieces, then two over easy eggs on top in a bowl. It's a version of a soft boiled egg dish with chopped up buttered toast w/ soft boiled eggs scooped into a bowl. 

Gordy327
Professor Expert
18.1.7  author  Gordy327  replied to  Dismayed Patriot @18.1.6    6 years ago
I've had left over pizza re-toasted in a toaster oven, cut up into bite sized pieces, then two over easy eggs on top in a bowl. It's a version of a soft boiled egg dish with chopped up buttered toast w/ soft boiled eggs scooped into a bowl. 

I'll have to try that the next time I have pizza.

Studiusbagus
Sophomore Quiet
19  Studiusbagus    6 years ago

Here's a thought, and a sandwich...

I ran a small restaurant for a time when I retired, I had a large area around me with mostly Mexican folks. I got good business from them as I could change up things to suit tastes but then...

I had a customer that was a runner and we experimented with higher protein with a kick.

I grilled a chicken breast with fajita seasoning and a splash of hot sauce, I laid four serrano peppers 2 in the front, two in the back, covered it with a round provalone slice and topped it with a hard cooked fried egg. and then a bun...I used Ciabotta.

He came back and raved!

In two weeks it was our most popular sandwich, I would sell minimum 200 a day (Let me break that to you in paycheck terms, it was $400/day pure in the pocket profit) along with my other menu items.  He named it "Tortuga la flamenta" (Flaming Turtle) and it stuck....soon we had steak and pork chop versions.

He later told me, "Put a hard fried egg on any sandwich and Mexican guys will buy the crap out of it"....I went around the corner to the local Tex-Mex and sure enough..."With cooked egg, add $ .75"

Studiusbagus
Sophomore Quiet
20  Studiusbagus    6 years ago

Popeye Omelette.....crumbled bacon, mushrooms, fresh spinach and white american cheese....Oh hell yeah!

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
21  sandy-2021492    6 years ago

I just finished eating, and this article is making me hungry again.

lennylynx
Sophomore Quiet
22  lennylynx    6 years ago

As an eggnostic, I'm not even sure if eggs exist...

Galen Marvin Ross
Sophomore Participates
22.1  Galen Marvin Ross  replied to  lennylynx @22    6 years ago
As an eggnostic, I'm not even sure if eggs exist...

Oh but, they do Lenny, they do!!

Silent_Hysteria
Freshman Silent
23  Silent_Hysteria    6 years ago

Heat skillet on high until HOT

pour eggs unscrambled with butter into skillet.

start scrambling in the skillet .  30 seconds or so on heat.  30 seconds off.  

Repeat until cooked and eggs not dried out

someone told me this way to make scrambled eggs and I laughed at them.  Scrambled eggs are scrambled eggs right?  He made them one day and I had to admit it made a huge difference.  Especially with a little garlic salt on them.  Very light

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
24  Raven Wing    6 years ago

Two eggs over easy, with a bit of salt and pepper and wheat toast. Sometimes I add some chopped cilantro. 

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
24.1  sandy-2021492  replied to  Raven Wing @24    6 years ago

Mmmm, cilantro.

dave-2693993
Junior Quiet
24.2  dave-2693993  replied to  Raven Wing @24    6 years ago

Yes, the cilantro got my mouth watering right there.

epistte
Junior Guide
24.2.1  epistte  replied to  dave-2693993 @24.2    6 years ago

I also love cilantro. I just wish that my plants would last more than a month before they go to seed.

This year has been a crazy growing season. The spring was cool and wet but the summer has been abnormally hot. It's 85° in northern Ohio in mid-Septemberbut I want 65°.  AC is nice but I want to be able to open the windows and enjoy the quiet.

We just went to the orchard to get some apples, a gallon of cider and other fruits but it feels strange buying apples when it's still hot.   We stopped by a roadside market and got some of the last summer veggies and now I'm going to start making dinner. 

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
24.2.2  Raven Wing  replied to  epistte @24.2.1    6 years ago

When I had my own garden I would stagger planting the cilantro so that it would not all come ripe at the same time. Some I would dry for later, some I used fresh, some for salsa, and some in making dishes for the freezer. Then the last bit I let go to seed for the next year. 

Here is So Calif our growing season for veggies and such is along period, so I could plan what to plant for the spring, mid-year and the hotter summer months. But, as our winters are also fairly mild, I could grow well into Nov and Dec.

epistte
Junior Guide
24.2.3  epistte  replied to  Raven Wing @24.2.2    6 years ago

I'm on my 3rd planting this year and I can see it starting to go to seed. I've picked those buds off and use them but it won't be long until the plants dies.  I'll let it go to seed in a few weeks so I can replenish my cilantro jar for the winter.

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
24.2.4  Raven Wing  replied to  epistte @24.2.3    6 years ago

Where I am live now there is no room for a garden, but, I have a small herb stand on my front patio so I can have a few fresh goodies most all year round. Cilantro is my biggest 'crop'. Much of the stuff at the stores is already old and does not taste as good as what I can pick from my own little 'garden'. 

dave-2693993
Junior Quiet
24.2.5  dave-2693993  replied to  epistte @24.2.1    6 years ago
I'm going to start making dinner. 

Have a good dinner.

epistte
Junior Guide
24.2.6  epistte  replied to  dave-2693993 @24.2.5    6 years ago

It was good. I made a rice pilaf, green beans with bacon and onions and he lit the grill.  I used some of the apples to make an apple crisp.

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
24.3  Raven Wing  replied to  Raven Wing @24    6 years ago

I like eating cilantro with a lot of my different foods, even the non-Mexican dishes, as it is a good detox for the body, and for me it really adds a good flavor to foods. I often eat it just by itself. 

I make my own green tomatillo salsa, with lots of various hot peppers and plenty of cilantro. 

epistte
Junior Guide
25  epistte    6 years ago

I make a scrambled egg hash occasionally. I cook the sausage first and then fry chopped mushrooms, diced onion and either hash browns or home fries in the rendered fat from the sausage. I return the sausage to the skillet and break two eggs in it. I shut off the heat and let the scrambled eggs cook with the residual heat for 2--3 minutes so they don't overcook.  Finish with salt, pepper, parsley, and a dash of hot sauce

I know how to make a french omlette with lots of butter, but I'm usually too lazy to take the time, except for company or my BF.  

Freefaller
Professor Quiet
26  Freefaller    6 years ago

Lol mixed with anything that covers the taste and smell of them (ie pancakes, waffles, French toast etc)

arkpdx
Professor Quiet
27  arkpdx    6 years ago

One of the bravest men ever was the First guy to see what part of the bird the egg came out of and ate it anyway. 

dave-2693993
Junior Quiet
27.1  dave-2693993  replied to  arkpdx @27    6 years ago

LMAO. Yep.

Kind of like, how did they figure out the name of poison ivy? Ooooh, maybe not so funny.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
27.2  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  arkpdx @27    6 years ago

Come on. Who eats the shell?

arkpdx
Professor Quiet
27.2.1  arkpdx  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @27.2    6 years ago

deleted

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
27.2.2  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  arkpdx @27.2.1    6 years ago

removed for context

Gordy327
Professor Expert
27.2.4  author  Gordy327  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @27.2    6 years ago

The shell makes a good compost for plants. So do used coffee grounds. Crush the eggshell into small pieces and sprinkle them at the base of a plant.

Kavika
Professor Principal
28  Kavika     6 years ago

You Can't Buy Happiness But You Can Buy Indian Frybread Tshirts

dave-2693993
Junior Quiet
28.1  dave-2693993  replied to  Kavika @28    6 years ago

Where do I get one of those shirts?

Kavika
Professor Principal
28.1.1  Kavika   replied to  dave-2693993 @28.1    6 years ago

dave, goggle Native American T Shirts there are a number of companies that have various versions of this one.. I saw this one on FB.

dave-2693993
Junior Quiet
28.1.2  dave-2693993  replied to  Kavika @28.1.1    6 years ago

Great.

Thank you Kavika.

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
28.2  Raven Wing  replied to  Kavika @28    6 years ago

Nothing can take the place of Indian Fry Bread. It really is one of the most versatile foods around, as it goes with just about every kind of cuisine. It has always been a staple in our house for as long as I can remember. Dredging it in powdered sugar while still warm makes a great sweet treat as well, as does topping it with melted butter and then sprinkle on some cinnamon sugar. 

Indeed......Indian Fry Bread is a Happy Food.

epistte
Junior Guide
28.2.1  epistte  replied to  Raven Wing @28.2    6 years ago

I saw them make Indian fry bread tacos on FoodTV and they looked amazing. I hate the mess of deep frying but I might make the effort because they looked so good. 

Kavika
Professor Principal
28.2.2  Kavika   replied to  epistte @28.2.1    6 years ago

LOL epistte there is a rule that when a non indigenous person makes fry bread that it must be inspected and authorized by a native person...Those are the rules per my nookomis (grandma) and NO ONE argues with nookomis. NO ONE.

When you finished please call me via smoke signals and I'll be there a knockin on your door to do the inspection. 

FBI-FRY-BREAD-INSPECTOR--19871P.jpg

epistte
Junior Guide
28.2.3  epistte  replied to  Kavika @28.2.2    6 years ago

You're welcome to come and eat too, if I pass Nookomis' test. I want her to teach me how to make hominy salsa.

There is a farm a few miles away that raises buffalo, so I'll make buffalo fry bread tacos.

Kavika
Professor Principal
28.2.4  Kavika   replied to  epistte @28.2.3    6 years ago

You've got a deal epistte. 

Spikegary
Junior Quiet
30  Spikegary    6 years ago

I generally go for over easy, in a little bacon fat, but there's times I like poached on toast.  I like making omelettes, mostly with cheese and bacon.  I do make a suasage and egg and cheese scramble with salsa in a tortilla........depends on the mood.

Decadence:  Grilled cheese sandwich with an over easy egg in the middle of it......eat over the plate though.......

Sparty On
Professor Principal
31  Sparty On    6 years ago

When i want eggs a little different i sometimes make what mom used to make us.   Egg in a basket.   That's an egg fried in a hole in a piece of bread.   I like a nice Rye but any hardy bread will do.

That way, your toast is already with your egg.

It's a nice, simple breakfast.

JenSiNner
Freshman Silent
32  JenSiNner    6 years ago

Okay... so I love eggs.  I just happen to eat them in many different ways.  My favorite is what I call Happy Eggs.  Because I know no egg was ever unhappy about having a cow or a pig next to them and when you throw in spinach, mushrooms, sweet onions, sweet peppers, tomato and a wee smattering of chili powder, you're in for a happy face.

For instance... I had a perfectly scrumptious breakfast burrito this morning.  It had machaca, onions, mushrooms, spinach and four cheese blend in it.  All wrapped in a nice flour tortilla with Pico Pica taco sauce.  Yes... it was really amazing.  I'll change the meat to bacon, sausage or ham.  Sometimes, chicken or pork.  It keeps me satisfied until later in the day and I can make it ahead of time and throw it in the toaster over for 40 minutes and viola! breakfast.

It Is ME
Masters Guide
33  It Is ME    6 years ago

Scrambled if it's the entire egg, but....OMG....try "Runny Yokes only " between two buttered pieces of toast if you get a chance.

It's cholesterol "HEAVEN" ! jrSmiley_20_smiley_image.gif

My wife gets pissed when I waste the white part.....but I really don't care ! jrSmiley_18_smiley_image.gif

It's sooooooooo Gooooooood ! jrSmiley_15_smiley_image.gif

Gordy327
Professor Expert
33.1  author  Gordy327  replied to  It Is ME @33    6 years ago

Toast saturated with runny yolks is awesome. I use the toast to wipe the plate clean of any trace of breakfast, yolk included. Not a crumb is wasted. :P

It Is ME
Masters Guide
33.1.1  It Is ME  replied to  Gordy327 @33.1    6 years ago

I've never met a yolk I'd actually waste. jrSmiley_10_smiley_image.gif  

Gordy327
Professor Expert
33.1.2  author  Gordy327  replied to  It Is ME @33.1.1    6 years ago

A yolk is a terrible thing to waste. Try runny egg yolks over fried mashed potatoes. it's better than having butter on the potatoes.  

It Is ME
Masters Guide
33.1.3  It Is ME  replied to  Gordy327 @33.1.2    6 years ago

OMG !

Saturday I'm having yolks on the mash. jrSmiley_15_smiley_image.gif

Question:

How do you get your partner to stop bitching that your wasting the white part ? jrSmiley_89_smiley_image.gif

Gordy327
Professor Expert
33.1.4  author  Gordy327  replied to  It Is ME @33.1.3    6 years ago

I suggest saving the egg whites aand making your partner an egg white omelet with cheese, sprinkled with a dash of cilantro or paprika. keep the yolks for yourself. That way, you both get the egg parts you like and nothing is wasted. And cooking for your partner also enhances the relationship and reduces the chance for an argument. It's a win-win.

It Is ME
Masters Guide
33.1.5  It Is ME  replied to  Gordy327 @33.1.4    6 years ago

jrSmiley_10_smiley_image.gif

I'll give it a shot. If she turns it down ……. I got her. jrSmiley_13_smiley_image.gif

"Honey.....you're gonna waste this beautiful egg white omelet ? " 

Gordy327
Professor Expert
33.1.6  author  Gordy327  replied to  It Is ME @33.1.5    6 years ago

Nice. Turn the tables on her. You can't lose. jrSmiley_79_smiley_image.gif

Gordy327
Professor Expert
33.1.7  author  Gordy327  replied to  It Is ME @33.1.5    6 years ago

My question is, how do you separate the egg white from the yolk? I never tried it. I use the entire egg.

It Is ME
Masters Guide
33.1.8  It Is ME  replied to  Gordy327 @33.1.7    6 years ago

Crack the raw egg around the middle to make two halves. toss the yolk back and forth between the two halves. As your doing it, the whites keep wanting to drip out of the shell, until your down to just the yolk in one shell half. Gotta be careful though, as the yolk wants to follow the whites out the shell. jrSmiley_79_smiley_image.gif

I do have this tendency to take that white string (chord) off the yolk also. It just yucks me out. jrSmiley_85_smiley_image.gif

epistte
Junior Guide
33.1.9  epistte  replied to  Gordy327 @33.1.7    6 years ago

This may make some people squeamish but I have always cracked the egg in my hand and let the yolk run through my fingers. It's a technique that I learned from my grandmother and mother.  You can use 1/2 of the egg shell to hold the yolk while the white runs into a bowl below your hand but I tend to break the yolk on the sharp edge of the shell that way.

Gordy327
Professor Expert
33.1.10  author  Gordy327  replied to  It Is ME @33.1.8    6 years ago

Thanks for the tips, to both you and epistte.

Gordy327
Professor Expert
35  author  Gordy327    6 years ago

How about runny yolk eggs on top of buttermilk pancakes?